ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Realistic Draft (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38981)

Puck 03-22-2018 08:47 PM

Realistic Draft

I read through all of these threads and I would bet that 99% of you think Ballard is going to draft for need.

Also all the bitching about FA and not spending money.... he said he wouldnt.

As far as the the draft? He is not going to draft for need. He will take BPA... Just like he said he would. Just like Polian did and just like every good GM does, otherwise you reach for a player.

I love how many of you are picking players of need.... I just shake my head.

Last yr how many were shocked with the Hooker pick? Admit it.... no one picked him. Most were picking someone that was 5-6 picks after Hooker.

He will look at the BPA and if that is not a position he wants he will try to trade back if he cant trade back he will take the BPA..... even if that is Barkley. I am sure he has who he thinks is the highest rated that he thinks will be there but if there is a higher rated player above that player he will take him.

This team needs an upgrade at every position.... Save QB

I think many or most of you will be shocked with the pick. Like usual.

BPA other than QB. Barkley, Chubb, Nelson after that Fitzpatrick Edmunds Smith..... That is the order i see them ranked.

In the second round do not be surprised if its Guice or Michel as BPA

I got banned from Colts.com for telling them all they are the dumbest football fans on the planet and that Nadine is a bitch... but some of this bitching and predictions are Colts.com close

VeveJones007 03-22-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 60786)
I read through all of these threads and I would bet that 99% of you think Ballard is going to draft for need.

As far as the the draft? He is not going to draft for need. He will take BPA... Just like he said he would. Just like Polian did and just like every good GM does, otherwise you reach for a player.

Last yr how many were shocked with the Hooker pick? Admit it.... no one picked him. Most were picking someone that was 5-6 picks after Hooker.

He will look at the BPA and if that is not a position he wants he will try to trade back if he cant trade back he will take the BPA..... even if that is Barkley. I am sure he has who he thinks is the highest rated that he thinks will be there but if there is a higher rated player above that player he will take him.

BPA other than QB. Barkley, Chubb, Nelson after that Fitzpatrick Edmunds Smith..... That is the order i see them ranked.

I got banned from Colts.com for telling them all they are the dumbest football fans on the planet and that Nadine is a bitch... but some of this bitching and predictions are Colts.com close

Shut up fag

rm1369 03-22-2018 09:19 PM

I’m fine with BPA as long as it’s not Barkley. I’d consider a Barkley pick fucking stupid, but other than that have at it - team has plenty of holes.

Butter 03-22-2018 09:27 PM

BPA is certainly a thing and the way to go, but it is clearly weighted. I strongly feel taking a RB in the top 10 is a mistake unless it is a terrible draft. They have short careers and good coaching staffs can find success with a committee of backs.

Spike 03-22-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 60786)

Yep, I got banned from Colts.com also. Nadine IS a bitch!!!!!! Colts.com fans are really fucking stupid. A lot of Stampede Blue posters are dumber than shit too.

Indiana V2 03-22-2018 09:36 PM

To be fair, many were surprised Hooker was available when the Colts picked last year.

Dewey 5 03-22-2018 10:07 PM

If Chubb is gone I would not be one bit surprised if the the pick is Denzel Ward

smitty46953 03-22-2018 10:51 PM

FWIW:

Bradley Chubb's Pro-Day: The Colts sent Director of College Scouting Morocco Brown and new defensive line coach Mike Phair.

Quenton Nelson's Pro-Day: Both Colts GM Chris Ballard and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo on hand at Notre Dame’s pro day.

VeveJones007 03-22-2018 10:53 PM

Hooker was a top 10 player last year. Nobody expected him to be on the board.

I agree that Ballard will take BPA, unless he sees more value in trading back. Some evaluators think Chubb is the BPA, some think Nelson, some think Barkley. We’ll see what Ballard thinks.

VeveJones007 03-22-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 60815)
FWIW:

Bradley Chubb's Pro-Day: The Colts sent Director of College Scouting Morocco Brown and new defensive line coach Mike Phair.

Quenton Nelson's Pro-Day: Both Colts GM Chris Ballard and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo on hand at Notre Dame’s pro day.

Not a fair comparison since there are two other lineman for them to evaluate at NDs pro day. If they trade back with Buffalo, McG might be the pick at 21.

Brylok 03-22-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 60805)
If Chubb is gone I would not be one bit surprised if the the pick is Denzel Ward

Cowherd listener? I listened to a couple of Best of the Herd podcasts today and he said exactly that.

Brylok 03-22-2018 11:29 PM

I also noticed in this thread that Indiana V2 has achieved "Post whore" status. Going by the post count, I assume that level is reached by 5000+ posts?

rcubed 03-23-2018 12:30 AM

a thought from MMQB:

"And let’s say the Colts, with the sixth overall pick, would be comfortable moving down to Miami’s pick at 11, Indy figuring if it can pick up another second-round pick at least, it would be worth it. (Really, the Colts are not just comfortable doing this. They want to do this.) So let’s slot Rosen to Miami with the sixth pick, and now all the primo quarterbacks are gone. And the Colts have turned the third overall pick at the start of March into the 11th—and added four second-round picks in the process. Five prime prospects instead of one excellent one. GM Chris Ballard would love that trade."

What do you think of trading down to 11 and getting another 2nd (plus whatever makes the points equal)?

FatDT 03-23-2018 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 60832)
a thought from MMQB:

"And let’s say the Colts, with the sixth overall pick, would be comfortable moving down to Miami’s pick at 11, Indy figuring if it can pick up another second-round pick at least, it would be worth it. (Really, the Colts are not just comfortable doing this. They want to do this.) So let’s slot Rosen to Miami with the sixth pick, and now all the primo quarterbacks are gone. And the Colts have turned the third overall pick at the start of March into the 11th—and added four second-round picks in the process. Five prime prospects instead of one excellent one. GM Chris Ballard would love that trade."

What do you think of trading down to 11 and getting another 2nd (plus whatever makes the points equal)?

It really depends on who isn't available at 6. 11th is a lot farther to drop. I would want more than just another 2nd if a QB is still there.

omahacolt 03-23-2018 06:02 AM

To be fair, he will absolutely draft for need. Because we need everything. What could he pick other than qb that we couldn’t use?

I absolutely think positional value plays a role. If Chubb and Barkley are there, he isn’t taking the rb

sherck 03-23-2018 06:50 AM

I am still of the "Chubb or trade down" mindset.

At 10, 11 or 12, we have a good shot at getting Tremaine Edwards or Roquan Smith which would fill a HUGE glaring need at LB.

At DE, we have Sheard, Basham and now Autry. Need another body or two but a 2nd round draftee plus an older rotational guy could fit that bill.

If we could get the Bills 12 & 21, then the 21 would have great value to pick up that right OT or other LB or CB that we would need.

Honestly, 5 picks in the top 50 would be pretty brilliant for filling a ton of holes on the roster. OT, LB, LB, CB, DE for instance.

But, I don't like any of the DEs in the draft as much as Chubb. If he is there at #6, you have to take him. If not, then a trade down for another top 50 pick this year makes a ton of sense.

Walk Worthy,

Puck 03-23-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brylok (Post 60827)
i also noticed in this thread that indiana v2 has achieved "post whore" status. Going by the post count, i assume that level is reached by 5000+ posts?

nice!!!

VeveJones007 03-23-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 60840)
It really depends on who isn't available at 6. 11th is a lot farther to drop. I would want more than just another 2nd if a QB is still there.

Absolutely this. Need equivalent value to Buffalo’s two 1sts. Maybe 11, 43, and 2019 1st?

VeveJones007 03-23-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 60825)
Cowherd listener? I listened to a couple of Best of the Herd podcasts today and he said exactly that.

I’m not sure CB is a 1st round value in this new defense. Holder and Keefer said that was the big holdup with Melvin—Ballard didn’t want to overpay for a press-man corner when they’re looking for a different skill set.

sherck 03-23-2018 11:02 AM

Just played an online drafting game (top 5 rounds only). Traded the #6 (no Chubb OR Nelson available) to BUF for 12, BUF 3rd round and 2019 1st round draft pick. Ended up with:

1 12 CB Denzel Ward Ohio State
2 36 OG Will Hernandez UTEP
2 37 OT Brian O'Neill Pittsburgh
2 49 DE Sam Hubbard Ohio State
3 67 LB Josey Jewell Iowa
3 96 LB Shaquem Griffin UCF
4 104 DE Kemoko Turay Rutgers
5 140 RB Josh Adams Notre Dame

I love having turned the #3 pick overall into 2 additional 2nd round picks and 1 additional 3rd round pick in 2018 and and additional 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in 2019.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

omahacolt 03-23-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 60878)
Just played an online drafting game (top 5 rounds only). Traded the #6 (no Chubb OR Nelson available) to BUF for 12, BUF 3rd round and 2019 1st round draft pick. Ended up with:

I love having turned the #3 pick overall into 2 additional 2nd round picks and 1 additional 3rd round pick in 2018 and and additional 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in 2019.

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

I don’t know about the players picked because I haven’t watched any of them.

But as far as the compensation for trade that would be awesome

VeveJones007 03-23-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

Like the draft, but I would be a little disappointed in that trade with Buffalo. I would need both of their 1sts this year at a bare minimum. With those picks, I would target Roquan Smith and either McGlinchy or Landry.

sherck 03-23-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 60888)
Like the draft, but I would be a little disappointed in that trade with Buffalo. I would need both of their 1sts this year at a bare minimum. With those picks, I would target Roquan Smith and either McGlinchy or Landry.

Both the LBs were off the board by the time #12 rolled around. I also would have wanted one of Edmunds or Smith but....

Taking both #12 and #22 in 2018 was not a trade option available.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 03-23-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 60896)
Both the LBs were off the board by the time #12 rolled around. I also would have wanted one of Edmunds or Smith but....

Taking both #12 and #22 in 2018 was not a trade option available.

Walk Worthy,

Yeah, I figured. It's probably loosely based on the value chart, which we know can be thrown out of the window when teams are moving up for QBs.

ZiaColt 03-23-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 60832)
a thought from MMQB:

I suspect the more likely trade candidate might be Buffalo, given their desperate need for a QB and their multitude of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. If both Chubb and Nelson are gone by #6, that likely means Barkley and/or one of the QB's would still be available, and maybe the Bills would be willing to part with several of those picks? I'm not a big fan of future picks, i.e., the 2019 draft or beyond.

And I don't doubt Ballard might love to trade #6 to Miami for #11 and #42, but I doubt if Miami's GM would love it--he'd probably feel he was giving up too much value. A trade for #6 with the Dolphins would probably need to include extra picks on both sides, e.g., Miami gives Indy #11, #42 and #73 and the Colts give up #6, #67 and #104. Not sure if Ballard would like that or not. You'd essentially be moving down to 11 in order to move up from 67 to 42 and up to 73 from 104.

indycolts2 03-23-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Walk Worthy,

getting Ward at CB and Griffin with the 3rd plus next years Buffalo 1st rounder would take the sting out of not getting Chubb.......almost.

HoosierinFL 03-25-2018 11:22 AM

I think if we do get a trade like this with Buffalo, it won't happen until the Colts are on the clock in round 1. I think if Buffalo has a guy they want, they would pull the trigger on this trade, but they're surely going to wait and see if their guy even falls to 6.
I suppose a couple other teams might make the call to Ballard at the same time, but Buffalo probably has the most attractive position.

1965southpaw 03-25-2018 12:45 PM

If Gettleman's aim was misdirection with the timing of JPP move to Tampa it's working well. All last week sports radio here in Nj/NYC was warming up to picking Chubb with the second pick. They are comparing him to Strahan in his prime. This, after they were all on board with "suck for saquon". I don't think gettleman is a fool and I still think it's likely he goes for a QB but I do think Chubb's stock is rising and the likelihood he's still on the board at 6 is small. By the way I heard a Mel Kiper interview today and he says that what the Giants do with their pick is the biggest question/uncertainty of the draft this year.

Chromeburn 03-25-2018 01:36 PM

Gettleman loves to build through oline, Nelson has to be a huge temptation for him. Coughlin sticking it to him and the Giants over Norwell felt good I bet. But I think He and Elway have their eye on a certain QB and no one wants to show their hand to Cleveland. My guess is Allen with his athleticism and big arm. He could sit behind Eli for a year at least and learn. One of the top three should be there at 6, my guess is Nelson. I think Chubb likely goes at 4 or 5. I don't see the Giants taking him when they are going to a 3-4 and they can get that pass rusher from Oklahoma in the 2nd who is very underrated IMO.

If all are gone we have to stay in the top ten if we want Roquon or Edwards. Trade down scenarios are likely with Buffalo, Miami, or Arizona. I think it depends on what QB will be there and what the teams think of him.

HoosierinFL 03-25-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 61036)
Gettleman loves to build through oline, Nelson has to be a huge temptation for him. Coughlin sticking it to him and the Giants over Norwell felt good I bet. But I think He and Elway have their eye on a certain QB and no one wants to show their hand to Cleveland. My guess is Allen with his athleticism and big arm. He could sit behind Eli for a year at least and learn. One of the top three should be there at 6, my guess is Nelson. I think Chubb likely goes at 4 or 5. I don't see the Giants taking him when they are going to a 3-4 and they can get that pass rusher from Oklahoma in the 2nd who is very underrated IMO.

If all are gone we have to stay in the top ten if we want Roquon or Edwards. Trade down scenarios are likely with Buffalo, Miami, or Arizona. I think it depends on what QB will be there and what the teams think of him.

I think the Giants pick either QB or Barkley. Chubb seems the 3rd mostly likely bet. I kinda see Barkley making the biggest impact on that team.

Chromeburn 03-27-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 61037)
I think the Giants pick either QB or Barkley. Chubb seems the 3rd mostly likely bet. I kinda see Barkley making the biggest impact on that team.

Barkley will have an instant impact. I just don’t like drafting a RB this high, especially with a team not ready to contend. I like taking one as the last step to put your team over the jump. I do think Barkley will be good, epitome of the modern three down back. Great character, work ethic, he should have a LT type impact on a team. If you want one more shot at a title he might be the guy to get. Giants like their guys clean cut. But if the Giants take Barkley, I think the Browns take Chubb.

ZiaColt 03-29-2018 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 61029)
I think if we do get a trade like this with Buffalo, it won't happen until the Colts are on the clock in round 1. I think if Buffalo has a guy they want, they would pull the trigger on this trade, but they're surely going to wait and see if their guy even falls to 6.
I suppose a couple other teams might make the call to Ballard at the same time, but Buffalo probably has the most attractive position.

I could foresee scenarios where Miami and Arizona might get interested, especially if one (or more) of the QB's is still there at #6. Maybe the Cardinals could offer something #15, #47 and #79 and the Colts send them #6 and #104. Guess it would depend on how sold they are on Bradford.

I could also see a somewhat different group of teams get interested in trading for #6 if Barkley somehow fell that far. Some teams that really need a RB, like Baltimore and Detroit, might struggle to put together a package of draft choices the Colts would like.

But what if an organization like Green Bay felt Barkley could get them another Super Bowl while Rodgers is still the best QB in the league? Personally I would not be inclined to draft Barkley if I were Ballard, given the state of the Colts' offensive line, and what if GB offered, say, #14, #45 and #76 for #6, #104 and #140? (assuming none of those draft choices are traded elsewhere instead)

omahacolt 03-29-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiaColt (Post 61454)
I could foresee scenarios where Miami and Arizona might get interested, especially if one (or more) of the QB's is still there at #6. Maybe the Cardinals could offer something #15, #47 and #79 and the Colts send them #6 and #104. Guess it would depend on how sold they are on Bradford.

I could also see a somewhat different group of teams get interested in trading for #6 if Barkley somehow fell that far. Some teams that really need a RB, like Baltimore and Detroit, might struggle to put together a package of draft choices the Colts would like.

But what if an organization like Green Bay felt Barkley could get them another Super Bowl while Rodgers is still the best QB in the league? Personally I would not be inclined to draft Barkley if I were Ballard, given the state of the Colts' offensive line, and what if GB offered, say, #14, #45 and #76 for #6, #104 and #140? (assuming none of those draft choices are traded elsewhere instead)

Nobody is paying a high draft price for a rd

Maniac 03-29-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 61458)

Worked out great for this guy :

http://goldenrankings.com/bngolden3/...keDitkaWig.jpg

Racehorse 03-29-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 61458)

RD? Real Dork?

VeveJones007 03-29-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiaColt (Post 61454)

If trade down is considered, Miami and Arizona can’t top Buffalo’s offer of 12+22+.

YDFL Commish 03-30-2018 12:15 AM

Can't trade ot of the top 10, unless Bills offer a boat load of picks. Even then....NAH!

Dam8610 03-30-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 61538)
Can't trade ot of the top 10, unless Bills offer a boat load of picks. Even then....NAH!

If they don't get Chubb, there's no point to staying in the top 10. Davenport is probably there at 12 and 22 gets you Vander Esch before the Steelers grab him.

ZiaColt 03-30-2018 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 61481)
If trade down is considered, Miami and Arizona can’t top Buffalo’s offer of 12+22+.

if Buffalo's GM is desperate enough for #6 to give up #12 and #22 (which combined have about 130-150% of the draft value of #6, depending on which evaluator you use) by all means Ballard should do it.

more likely Buffalo would want Ballard to sweeten the package to make that deal, and it might end up looking like Buffalo sends Indy #12 and #22 in exchange for the Colts' #6 and #49. If I were Ballard, I don't think I'd be willing to give up #36, and I'd have to think long and hard before I'd part with #37 either, but I'd likely be happy to throw #49 into the deal. IIRC Buffalo already has two 2nd rounders, and both are after the 49th pick, so the Bills would still be moving up in Round 2.

IMO that would still be a worthwhile deal for the Colts: you drop from #6 to #12, where a day-one starter will still be available at several positions (even if he's BPA too) and you give up 1 of your 2nd rounders but gain another 1st rounder. Still have 4 picks in the top 37, 5 in the top 67--in a draft most NFL scouts feel has about 70 day-one, or future, starting players in it.

VeveJones007 03-30-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 61541)
If they don't get Chubb, there's no point to staying in the top 10. Davenport is probably there at 12 and 22 gets you Vander Esch before the Steelers grab him.

This is where I’m starting to lean, unless you can get the Bears to give you something to move down to 8.