ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jack Doyle to Test the Market (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2213)

Coltsalr 02-28-2017 04:54 PM

Jack Doyle to Test the Market

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Despite the Colts' attempts to sign him over the past week, Colts TE Jack Doyle has plans to test free-agent market, per source.

This is probably for the best. Yes, he's a nice player and it's not like this addition by subtraction by any means, and one could certainly argue over whether he'd be more deserving of a long-term contract over Dwayne Allen, but of all the holes this team has, dedicating significant resources to TE, where resources are already dedicated doesn't seem practical. Allen/Swoope would be a TE duo that I'd expect should do well enough, particularly with the amount we've already invested in WR.

The bottom line is, the amount of money that we'd have to offer him right now to convince him to not even test the FA market is more than we should be giving him, period. If he comes back and is willing to sign at a number that makes sense for us (what we're likely offering him now, as Schefter is reporting the Colts have tried to extend him), then wonderful.

sherck 02-28-2017 05:08 PM

Sigh, this is sad for me I haved liked him since day one. It is a thin free agency class for TE so someone will throw big bucks at him and he will be a quality player for someone else.

TE class in draft is deep. I could see use using a 4th, 5th or 6th on TE now which sucks since i want all defense except for mud round RB.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Colt Classic 02-28-2017 06:00 PM

At least they'll have Allen for maybe 9 games.

Indiana V2 02-28-2017 07:23 PM

Well that sucks, strike one, Ballard.

omahacolt 02-28-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 3659)
Sigh, this is sad for me I haved liked him since day one. It is a thin free agency class for TE so someone will throw big bucks at him and he will be a quality player for someone else.

TE class in draft is deep. I could see use using a 4th, 5th or 6th on TE now which sucks since i want all defense except for mud round RB.

Cheers,

only gay people post "sigh" on a message board

i like doyle but i like that we are being smart with the offer. i hope we bring him back but if he gets a big deal then good for him.

and you always like white players from the start.

sherck 02-28-2017 08:00 PM

I had really hoped that when I became a Mod, I could ban Omaha.

Cheers,

omahacolt 02-28-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 3682)
I had really hoped that when I became a Mod, I could ban Omaha.

Cheers,

sounds like something you would do

ban me because you are a racist

sherck 02-28-2017 08:06 PM

To you, everyone but yourself is racist.

Cheers,

omahacolt 02-28-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 3686)
To you, everyone but yourself is racist.

Cheers,

that is not true at all

dam isn't racist. he is retarded, so he doesn't know any better

sherck 02-28-2017 08:20 PM

Okay, I doing care who you are.

That was funny.

Cheers,

natagu23 02-28-2017 08:55 PM

Let him walk.

We'll get another white guy to replace him.

rcubed 02-28-2017 09:05 PM

I would like to have him come back, he is a solid contributor to the team. however, it's not worth overpaying him.

If he gets a contract outside ballard's desired figure, then good for jack.

sherck 02-28-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 3703)
I would like to have him come back, he is a solid contributor to the team. however, it's not worth overpaying him.

If he gets a contract outside ballard's desired figure, then good for jack.

He will. He is blooming into a all-around weapon and will hwlp someone out greatly.

Someone will pay big bucks.

Cheers,

bertjones 03-01-2017 01:00 AM

Of our vaunted receiver group only he and Hilton held up their end
last year. Yeah, let him walk.

ukcolt 03-01-2017 04:57 AM

I would hope that if they are seriously considering allowing Doyle to walk that they are really keen on Swoope stepping up. Although our offensive line seemed to improve, we could take another step backwards due to the reduced blocking ability of our TE's....Doyle was very good at this aspect of the game.

I actually think that if i had to make a choice between Doyle and Allen i would prefer to keep Doyle. Although when healthy i think Allen is an outstanding player and probably has a higher ceiling than Doyle.

Maniac 03-01-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 3673)
Well that sucks, strike one, Ballard.

Why is that?

Do you think that Ballard isn't giving a fair offer, or do you think that he should overpay no matter what the price in order to keep him?

It is likely that Doyle's agent told him to turn down the Colts offer unless they were overpaying to see what he can get on the free agent market, and he may be right. They may find a team or two that will be willing to overpay. That isn't Ballard's fault. Doyle is a solid player, but not someone to pay crazy money to.

njcoltfan 03-01-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 3704)
He will. He is blooming into a all-around weapon and will hwlp someone out greatly.

Someone will pay big bucks.

Cheers,

He's the only TE on the team that can catch AND block without getting hurt.

Indiana V2 03-01-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 3732)
Why is that?

Do you think that Ballard isn't giving a fair offer, or do you think that he should overpay no matter what the price in order to keep him?

It is likely that Doyle's agent told him to turn down the Colts offer unless they were overpaying to see what he can get on the free agent market, and he may be right. They may find a team or two that will be willing to overpay. That isn't Ballard's fault. Doyle is a solid player, but not someone to pay crazy money to.

A) It was obvious that Luck has a comfort level with Doyle.

B) Doyle is more than just solid, he was great last season.

C) I could see us regretting it if Doyle signs with another team...like how Grigson didn't want to pay Jerrel Freeman.

natagu23 03-01-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 3738)

C) I could see us regretting it if Doyle signs with another team...like how Grigson didn't want to pay Jerrel Freeman.

He had a solid season. I dont know about great.

Andrew Luck is a great qb, and im sure he'll continue to be with Allen, Swoope, and insert name here.

I would like to resign him, but lets not forget who was pitching him the ball.

FatDT 03-01-2017 09:51 AM

He started off great, but didn't stay at the same level all season. Not his fault, I think the offense just featured him less. That is my impression anyway, no stats to back that up at all.

I hope he comes back but TE is low on the list of concerns. Can't pay him and Allen the same amount and sink too many cap dollars into that position.

PeytonsForehead 03-01-2017 11:51 AM

TE is definitely the least of my concerns this off-season. If he sign's elsewhere then good on him for parlaying his stellar year into some additional money.

DrSpaceman 03-01-2017 11:58 AM

I hate to see him go but I also don't want to pay him $5-6 million a year to stay.

Plus I think Swoope if given a chance can play well in his place.

Maniac 03-01-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 3738)

Comfort levels don't mean you should massively overpay someone. I don't think he was great last season. I think he was good at times, very good at times, but great? No.

It sucks that we'll have to spend another draft pick that could be used for defense possibly on a TE now (if they don't pick up another in free agency), but if Doyle wants ridiculous money, you just can't give him that just because.

Colt Classic 03-01-2017 07:58 PM

Go get paid, dude, you earned it.

albany ed 03-02-2017 07:59 AM

One of my Giants fan friends tells me Big Blue wants him. They'll overpay him, so for Doyle, that's good. I'm OK with not overpaying him. Colts have more important needs for their dollar.

VeveJones007 03-02-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 3801)
Comfort levels don't mean you should massively overpay someone. I don't think he was great last season. I think he was good at times, very good at times, but great? No.

It sucks that we'll have to spend another draft pick that could be used for defense possibly on a TE now (if they don't pick up another in free agency), but if Doyle wants ridiculous money, you just can't give him that just because.

Agreed on the first point, but I'm not sure you need to spend a pick on TE with Allen and Swoope on the roster. I'd look at UDFA or a later tier of free agency for cheap depth.

DrSpaceman 03-03-2017 10:11 PM

I am not paying him $5million, or whatever he will likely ask, a year because of a "comfort level".

sherck 03-03-2017 10:31 PM

I think most of you are underestimating Doyle's value to our offense.

I hope I am wrong but I could see our offense struggling to consistently drive the field if someone else does not step up to join Hilton as a consistent receiver.

Cheers,

natagu23 03-04-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 4147)

I hope I am wrong but I could see our offense struggling to consistently drive the field if someone else does not step up to join Hilton as a consistent receiver.

Cheers,

No. I think you're overestimating Doyle's value to our offense. Draft another TE in the middle of the draft, and pick up a couple UDFAs after the draft and let them duke it out in training camp. Doyle is estimated to make at least 6.2 million a year. F**k that.

Im not interested in throwing more money to the TE group. It makes no sense, especially with all the needs we have.

Doyle is doing the right thing trying to maximize is profits, but at the same time he can go f**k himself.

Butter 03-04-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 4146)
I am not paying him $5million, or whatever he will likely ask, a year because of a "comfort level".

I would go 5 for him,but not much more, I suspect he will get more.

Flexo 03-04-2017 02:25 AM

Am I the only colts fan who thinks Doyle is mediocre and replaceable? Sign a replacement level tight end in free agency and load up on defense in the draft.

sherck 03-04-2017 08:32 AM

I hope all of you are right and I am wrong but I think Jack Doyle is a pretty important cog that we don't have a sure-fire replacement for.

Allen, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rodgers or Swoope might step up and replace him as a "go-to" guy but all we have at the moment is "hope and prayer" which I hate relying on.

Cheers,

YDFL Commish 03-04-2017 10:17 AM

Yeah, not much value in a guy that catches everything thrown his way and is never injured.

He can be easily replaced. :rolleyes:

Butter 03-04-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexo (Post 4155)
Am I the only colts fan who thinks Doyle is mediocre and replaceable? Sign a replacement level tight end in free agency and load up on defense in the draft.

Probably not. He is not a superstar, but he is a solid TE.

omahacolt 03-04-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 4147)

Cheers,

i think you and most colts fans highly overrate doyle. i like him. great guy. good all around player but he is very replaceable

omahacolt 03-04-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexo (Post 4155)

no

you aren't. but there aren't many

YDFL Commish 03-04-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 4179)
i think you and most colts fans highly overrate doyle. i like him. great guy. good all around player but he is very replaceable

I agree that's what Doyle is, a good all around player.

Isn't a good all around player worth $5 million to $6 million? If he wants more than that, then the Colts should let him see if he can get it.

omahacolt 03-04-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 4186)
I agree that's what Doyle is, a good all around player.

Isn't a good all around player worth $5 million to $6 million? If he wants more than that, then the Colts should let him see if he can get it.

sure. Why not?

I don't care

edgeman 03-07-2017 08:38 PM

Reports say Doyle set to sign three year with the Colts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana V2 03-07-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeman (Post 4686)
Reports say Doyle set to sign three year with the Colts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came here to post this. Glad to have him back.