ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2024 NFL Draft (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177245)

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 02-12-2024 09:34 AM

2024 NFL Draft

A little more than 2 months away...

Obviously the selections can change between now and draft day with trades, but here is the current collection of picks for the Colts this year:

Round 1 - Pick 15
Round 2 - Pick 46
Round 3 - Pick 82
Round 4 - Pick 117
Round 5 - Pick 149
Round 6 - Pick 192
Round 7 - Pick 231

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 02-12-2024 09:41 AM

This might impact the draft strategy for later rounds this year:

https://apnews.com/article/senior-bo...058c9d3eedab28

Quote:

NIL opportunities leave smaller pool of late-round NFL draft prospects

BY JOHN ZENOR

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Most of the focus leading up to the NFL draft will be on the potential franchise quarterbacks and other first-round talent, but some NFL teams may find slimmer pickings when it comes to the later rounds.

Now, players with less lofty draft stock can still return and collect name, image and likeness money for another season -- basically a guaranteed paycheck -- sometimes using their extra COVID year. And that’s a big reason why a modest 58 underclassmen declared for the draft, the fewest since 2011 (56).

It was evident to Jim Nagy when he was building out the Senior Bowl roster. There’s plenty of talent at the top, especially with three-year juniors eligible for all-star games like Saturday’s Senior Bowl for the first time, but fewer strong options down the line.

“It was really unique. Rounds five through seven on our board got wiped out in the month of December,” said Nagy, a former NFL scout and current Senior Bowl executive director. “We’ll see what it looks like in April. NIL is a great thing for the players, an awesome thing, but it does have an effect on the draft, whatever that may be.”

He expects plenty of movement with NFL teams trading late-round picks to stock up for next year, or trying to move up into the first four rounds.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah agrees that NIL will impact the depth of prospects for the April draft. He thinks that’s a positive in many ways for players, their college teams and maybe for NFL teams who get more fully developed prospects, just a year later.

“They can go back and help themselves financially, get better, get more development,” Jeremiah said. “So it works for them, it works for the colleges. Obviously they keep their better players on campus.

“For the NFL, eventually you get an easier evaluation because there is more tape to go off of, there is a longer career, there is a bigger track record. I think in the long term, everybody wins.”

The NIL impact is here to stay. The extra COVID year is phasing out.

Tennessee Titans general manager Ran Carthon thinks the ripple effect of fewer juniors could be a boon for seniors who might otherwise have gone undrafted.

“In the past, we have usually a high number of early entry juniors that get drafted, which kind of pushes the senior talent down,” said Carthon, whose team has the No. 7 pick. “I think this now brings senior talent back into the pool because there are some guys that are quote-unquote undrafted free agents that are worthy of these later round picks. “

“But just because of the sheer number of people that are in there, they just get pushed out. So I think no matter what, you’re going to always be able to find value in all those rounds.”

He also thinks getting those seniors adds both an element of experience, and that the NIL gives incoming prospects more financial literacy.

“We’re not getting guys that are coming to our level that are being exposed to money for the first time,” Carthon said.

sherck 02-12-2024 01:13 PM

Lower round folks staying for NIL deals is a one or two draft class blip. It might effect this year's class and, perhaps, next year's but after that then those players will need to hit the draft pool as their college eligability runs out and then the flow will continue as before.

It is an interesting consideration for this year, however.

njcoltfan 02-13-2024 08:24 AM

Staying around for NIL money also increases the chance of sustaining a career ending injury, and never entering the NFL.

Dam8610 02-13-2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 292589)
Staying around for NIL money also increases the chance of sustaining a career ending injury, and never entering the NFL.

What's the difference if they do that in college or the NFL if they're making ~$750k either way? They don't get access to the NFLPA benefits, sure, but what 21 year old kid is factoring a pension into their decision to declare for the draft?

Mr. Session 02-13-2024 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 292595)
What's the difference if they do that in college or the NFL if they're making ~$750k either way? They don't get access to the NFLPA benefits, sure, but what 21 year old kid is factoring a pension into their decision to declare for the draft?

They have to actually make the team, for one.

EDIT - Nevermind, I can't read.

Colts And Orioles 02-13-2024 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Session (Post 292604)

They have to actually make the team, for one.

EDIT - Nevermind, I can't read.

o

This warrants an immediate phone call to the headquarters of the Guinness Book of World Records in Great Britain ...... an illiterate who can somehow write complete and coherent sentences.

o

apballin 02-14-2024 11:10 PM

Kiper has us taking Bowers at 15

sherck 02-15-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 292690)
Kiper has us taking Bowers at 15

If that were to happen, I think it would be incredible.

MPJ and Bower to work the "traditional" posession routes with Pierce going long and Downs working all over the place to find mismatches? And Taylor carrying the rock and swing routes?

Pick...your...poison.

If AR delivers on half of the promise of his physical skills and mental development, our offense would be in great shape for next year.

Then, use five of the other six picks on defense and the last on offensive line. Need to keep restocking the line.

IndyNorm 02-18-2024 10:02 AM

I'd love to see us draft Bowers too, but I'm guessing that won't happen. If his pre-draft workout numbers reflect the athleticism he shows on the field then I have to believe he'll go in the top 10. Doubt we'd do it, but he might be worth a trade up.

Dam8610 02-18-2024 07:30 PM

Given the Colts front office's obsession with traits and rare athletes, I doubt they'll be interested in Latu, despite him being a ready made pass rusher, and I think they'll end up interested in Nate Wiggins, Cooper DeJean, and Ga'Quincy McKinstry. Also Khyree Jackson will almost certainly be a Colt, possibly at 82 (or a trade down from there).

YDFL Commish 02-22-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 292811)
Given the Colts front office's obsession with traits and rare athletes, I doubt they'll be interested in Latu, despite him being a ready made pass rusher, and I think they'll end up interested in Nate Wiggins, Cooper DeJean, and Ga'Quincy McKinstry. Also Khyree Jackson will almost certainly be a Colt, possibly at 82 (or a trade down from there).

Passing on Latu, could be like passing on Terrell Suggs. As long as Latu passes the medicals and he's available at 15, then he has to be the pick. If Latu is gone or doesn't pass his medicals, then I would be happy with Bowers.

Failing that I would trade down, as the top WR's will be gone and I believe that one of the top CB's will be available later.

Dam8610 02-22-2024 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 292961)
Passing on Latu, could be like passing on Terrell Suggs. As long as Latu passes the medicals and he's available at 15, then he has to be the pick. If Latu is gone or doesn't pass his medicals, then I would be happy with Bowers.

Failing that I would trade down, as the top WR's will be gone and I believe that one of the top CB's will be available later.

I agree on Latu, but the Colts pick athletes, and Latu is not likely to be a top flight athlete. I can't see them looking past that and the medicals. Not at 15.

I would be thrilled with Bowers, as well. As far as a trade down, I wouldn't go past PIT or PHI, because beyond that they'd basically be getting the leftovers of the CB group rather than their choice.

Chromeburn 02-22-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 292811)

Cross reference all the high RAS guys with best performers at the senior bowl and we’ll find a couple Colts picks.

I expect we’ll look for explosive players on offense with a heavy dose of defense after a couple O guys.

YDFL Commish 02-22-2024 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 292965)
Cross reference all the high RAS guys with best performers at the senior bowl and we’ll find a couple Colts picks.

I expect we’ll look for explosive players on offense with a heavy dose of defense after a couple O guys.

I wish, that at some point Ballard would throw RAS out the window and just draft really good football players. My point being...Ballard probably would've never drafted Terrell Suggs as the 10th overall pick, because Suggs ran a 4.84-40.

Dam8610 02-23-2024 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 292965)

I think I had Daniel Scott as one of like 5 names when he was selected using that method last year.

Chromeburn 02-23-2024 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 292967)
I wish, that at some point Ballard would throw RAS out the window and just draft really good football players. My point being...Ballard probably would've never drafted Terrell Suggs as the 10th overall pick, because Suggs ran a 4.84-40.

He probably would not have along with a bunch of other GM's, Suggs fell to the Ravens. He might not have drafted Freeney, but who knows now. I think Polian is in his ear a lot about what metrics to look for. I think Paye was a guy Polian would have liked because of his 3-cone.

But my counterpoint to that is he does like the good senior bowl (and other events) performers. He is following the metrics and odds, what the analytics tell him are the guys that will do well. Suggs is really an outlier, for his position and to hit on those guys it takes a lot of luck. Also Suggs was a LB edge rusher not a DE. The defense let him do what he did best which was rush.

apballin 02-24-2024 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 292964)
I agree on Latu, but the Colts pick athletes, and Latu is not likely to be a top flight athlete. I can't see them looking past that and the medicals. Not at 15.

I would be thrilled with Bowers, as well. As far as a trade down, I wouldn't go past PIT or PHI, because beyond that they'd basically be getting the leftovers of the CB group rather than their choice.

Taking Bowers means you’re giving up on Mallory and Woods though right?

Just wondering if they have more faith in those guys then we know of

Dam8610 02-24-2024 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293041)

Would drafting Quenton Nelson have meant giving up on talented starting OGs if we had them at the time? Or would it have meant what it meant, that Nelson was a 1 of 1 type of player?

apballin 02-24-2024 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 293043)
Would drafting Quenton Nelson have meant giving up on talented starting OGs if we had them at the time? Or would it have meant what it meant, that Nelson was a 1 of 1 type of player?

I get that but Nelson was considered a can’t miss automatic hall of famer and that pick has still been scrutinized for taking a guard that high. Same applies to TE, do TEs picked that high ever work out?

To me the teams biggest flaw was injuries to the Oline, it was a totally different team when Braden Smith missed games. I’d say the oldest most beatup position on the roster is Oline but CB is definitely a glaring weakness however that can be covered up with good Dline play

YDFL Commish 02-24-2024 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293046)
I get that but Nelson was considered a can’t miss automatic hall of famer and that pick has still been scrutinized for taking a guard that high. Same applies to TE, do TEs picked that high ever work out?

To me the teams biggest flaw was injuries to the Oline, it was a totally different team when Braden Smith missed games. I’d say the oldest most beatup position on the roster is Oline but CB is definitely a glaring weakness however that can be covered up with good Dline play

Nelson was 6th overall...so I get your point there. Bowers at 15th overall is a different story, even as a TE. But you only take a TE that high if you are reasonably certain that he will be a perennial All-Pro.

IndyNorm 02-25-2024 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293041)

Not really. If we end up drafting Bowers then I would expect us to play more 2 TEs (and even 3 TEs) and at the very least will need Woods and Mallory to rotate in.

Although, I could see where if Woods can get healthy and show improvement in blocking that MAC is let go. Also, I would think that if we do draft Bowers then we probably let Granson walk after the season.

apballin 02-25-2024 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 293050)
Not really. If we end up drafting Bowers then I would expect us to play more 2 TEs (and even 3 TEs) and at the very least will need Woods and Mallory to rotate in.

Although, I could see where if Woods can get healthy and show improvement in blocking that MAC is let go. Also, I would think that if we do draft Bowers then we probably let Granson walk after the season.

Playing 2 and 3 TE takes Downs off the field though.

My main beef with the TE by committee was they tipped their hand on play calling, if Granson is in it’s a pass if cox is in it’s likely a run. I feel like Mallory showed huge promise as well as Woods, though neither seem to block worth a shit.

If Bowers can be that every down threat then I’m cool with it, if he’s just a better receiver than Mallory but can’t block I don’t know about that. He seems pretty undersized for all the hype

YDFL Commish 02-25-2024 05:11 PM

For this upcoming draft I've nicknamed it the "Group of Three Draft". Corny...I know.

But why I give it this nickname is that at a number of positions that have exactly 3 legit 1st round prospects.

QB: Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels
WR: Marvin Harrison Jr, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers
EDGE: jared Verse, Dallas Turner, Laiatu Latu
CB: Nate Wiggins, Terrion Arnold, Quinyon Mitchell

The other positions are in many ways are kind of bare, with very little 1st round talent. Maybe at DT or OT you could squeeze out 3 legit 1st round prospects.

All of the players listed above could be gone by 15, but I suspect the CB's might still be there.. I certainly expect all the QB's and WR's to be gone and at least 2 EDGE guys.

So, it's pretty simple math. Take your preferred EDGE, CB or Bowers if available or trade down.

Discflinger 02-25-2024 07:54 PM

I think Granson showed some promise blocking last year. MAC will almost certainly be cut regardless. Anyone have an idea as to what the Ogletree situation will become of itself?

YDFL Commish 03-01-2024 08:07 PM

It looks like the CB class is weakening. We all ready knew that DeJean was injured, so he's not working out. Sounds like Wiggins got injured at the combine (hip flexor)and a McKinstry injury was found during his physical (foot fracture).

I really didn't like these CB's anyway. DeJean because of the secrecy surrounding his injury. Mckinstry...I see as cocky and not playing to his potential. Wiggins is just too slight in build for me, as I prefer CB's who can tackle.

I do still like Arnold and Mitchell though.

Side Notes: Latu passed the minimum thresholds in all the drills and did enough athletically to still be considered the best pass rusher in the draft.

I see rumors that the Colts had 15 to 20 representatives visit with Bowers? I'm calling BS on that one.

Dam8610 03-01-2024 09:55 PM

All the CBs are light this year. Still strongly suspect Khyree Jackson will be a Colt.

apballin 03-01-2024 10:57 PM

Bowers will be gone by 15,

Looks like it’s Mitchell or Chop

All the other guys seem to have medical shit going on

I’m gonna say Mitchell is the pick as of right now

Dam8610 03-01-2024 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293321)
Bowers will be gone by 15,

Looks like it’s Mitchell or Chop

All the other guys seem to have medical shit going on

I’m gonna say Mitchell is the pick as of right now

Ballard said he's after a WR without saying it. The Eagles and Packers have 3 important things in common:

1) Both need CBs
2) Both have high-mid 20s first round picks
3) Both have 2 second round picks (GB 41 and 58, PHI 50 and 53)

At 22 or 25, one of Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell will be available. Both are fast 6'4" WRs with good route running ability who catch everything. I think Ballard will trade down with whoever of the Eagles and Packers gives him the better offer and pick up that extra second round pick.

apballin 03-02-2024 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 293322)
Ballard said he's after a WR without saying it. The Eagles and Packers have 3 important things in common:

1) Both need CBs
2) Both have high-mid 20s first round picks
3) Both have 2 second round picks (GB 41 and 58, PHI 50 and 53)

At 22 or 25, one of Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell will be available. Both are fast 6'4" WRs with good route running ability who catch everything. I think Ballard will trade down with whoever of the Eagles and Packers gives him the better offer and pick up that extra second round pick.

You think they’re gonna take a WR with the their 1st pick?

I think they’ll wait and just grab Pearsall later

YDFL Commish 03-02-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293325)

Yeah, I can't see Ballard taking WR in the 1st round when he came out and compared this draft to the very deep 2020 WR draft.

Dam8610 03-02-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293325)

Yes, with a trade down. If they don't, then they'll probably be after Corley at 46.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 293329)
Yeah, I can't see Ballard taking WR in the 1st round when he came out and compared this draft to the very deep 2020 WR draft.

What did Ballard do with his first pick in 2020? Drafted Pittman at 34. If Ballard thinks the same way about this class, then the value to him is likely in trading down to the mid 20s and getting WR4 or WR5, and there are 2 perfect scenarios with which to do that.

apballin 03-02-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 293336)
Yes, with a trade down. If they don't, then they'll probably be after Corley at 46.

What did Ballard do with his first pick in 2020? Drafted Pittman at 34. If Ballard thinks the same way about this class, then the value to him is likely in trading down to the mid 20s and getting WR4 or WR5, and there are 2 perfect scenarios with which to do that.

In 2020 they were paying the QB 25mil a year, didn’t have Jonathan Taylor yet either.

Our DBs were atrocious and Juju has injury concerns, they have to address CB. WR is not a dire need like many believe

IndyNorm 03-03-2024 10:58 AM

Quote:

In 2020 they were paying the QB 25mil a year, didn’t have Jonathan Taylor yet either.

Our DBs were atrocious and Juju has injury concerns, they have to address CB. WR is not a dire need like many believe
Don't disagree that CB is likely our biggest need and needs to be addressed in the offseason. But we have other needs as well which includes the need for more weapons in the passing game, especially ones who can stretch the field. So if we spend our 1st rounder on a WR or TE who can do that then it'll be a 1st rounder well spent IMO.

With that being said though, if a CB, DE, or even S is indeed the BPA then I think we should take him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 293055)
Playing 2 and 3 TE takes Downs off the field though.

My main beef with the TE by committee was they tipped their hand on play calling, if Granson is in it’s a pass if cox is in it’s likely a run. I feel like Mallory showed huge promise as well as Woods, though neither seem to block worth a shit.

If Bowers can be that every down threat then I’m cool with it, if he’s just a better receiver than Mallory but can’t block I don’t know about that. He seems pretty undersized for all the hype

Agree on the blocking, but even if not then I think it depends on how much better of a receiver Bowers is/could be than Mallory. Mallory did show some promise, but (at least IMO) nothing that looked like he'll be the dynamic playmaker that Bowers very well could be. Woods could be that guy, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and is likely still very raw since he basically missed both the entire offseason and regular season.

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on what drafting a player will do to another's snap count. Steichen's a smart guy. He'll be able to figure out how to best utilize the talent on the roster.

IndyNorm 03-03-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 293314)
It looks like the CB class is weakening. We all ready knew that DeJean was injured, so he's not working out. Sounds like Wiggins got injured at the combine (hip flexor)and a McKinstry injury was found during his physical (foot fracture).

I wouldn't completely count out us drafting someone b/c of injury, since Ballard has shown that he's not afraid to spend early round picks on guys who were hurt their senior year and couldn't work out in the offseason (at least effectively), ie Hooker, Leonard, Blackmon, Dayo.

YDFL Commish 03-03-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 293336)

I'm not saying that Ballard won't take a WR in the top 45. He just won't take one at 15.

YDFL Commish 03-03-2024 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 293359)
I wouldn't completely count out us drafting someone b/c of injury, since Ballard has shown that he's not afraid to spend early round picks on guys who were hurt their senior year and couldn't work out in the offseason (at least effectively), ie Hooker, Leonard, Blackmon, Dayo.

I agree. He could still take Arnold or Mitchell at 15 or take one of the injured guys later.

Dam8610 03-04-2024 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 293368)
I'm not saying that Ballard won't take a WR in the top 45. He just won't take one at 15.

Unless everyone loses their collective minds and Nabers somehow ends up at 15, I agree. That said, there are two very promising trade down scenarios that would put the Colts in the mid 20s, where I think Ballard would be comfortable selecting a WR.