ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2020 Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100132)

Ironshaft 04-24-2020 08:00 AM

2020 Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread

Holy Crud, there are about 10 guys that I want to pick still left on the board! I wish we could trade down and get five picks in the top half of the 2nd round; not possible but there are a ton of good guys there.

Some of the defensive backs fell that many thought were low 1st round / fringe 1st round talent. My guess is that one of our early 2nd picks will be defensive back because that appears to be where some of the value is.

Yetur Gross-Matos is hard to overlook as a potential long term starter at left DE taking over for Jabaal Sheard. While not the most athletic, he wins through power, position, hand fighting and a non-stop motor.

CB Trevon Diggs, CB Jaylon Johnson, and S Xavier Mckinney all look to be good value as guys who appear to fit our defense pretty well and could easily be rated by the Colts as 1st round guys.

The choices at WR are insane with Mims, Pittman and Higgins all still on the board and Claypool just a bit later down the list.

Ezra Cleeland, Josh Jones and Robert Hunt are all offensive tackles still on the board that I think have left OT starter potential.

The choices are incredible; I could see a trade back from #34 if it is not too far back to pick up an additional 3rd round pick.

Thoughts?

ukcolt 04-24-2020 08:42 AM

A.J. Epenesa looks like the best player left in the draft, i am surprised he fell out of the 1st round.

Other than him, i don't think that there are any shock players that are still available. Everyone else was scheduled back end of the 1st/early 2nd.

Another guy that i would love it if we were to get is Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield Jr. looks like Bob Sanders all over again.

Looks like we have some really nice guys still available with some depth at our primary positions of need.....loads of choices at WR, S Winfield, Chinn, Dugger are all guys i would be delighted should they end up wearing the horseshoe. DE still has Yetur-Gross and Epenesa, CB's Diggs, Jaylon Johnson and Fulton, Tackles still available Josh Jones, Hunt, Cleveland.
If somehow we could end up with 3 of these guys by the end of todays draft i would be incredibly happy.

The 2nd day of the draft in my opinion is always the best day, where all the value is had.

coltsballs 04-24-2020 09:21 AM

i agree we fit the need on defence and get a wr later. how about fromm or eason if they fall into 3rd rd

omahacolt 04-24-2020 09:27 AM

I wouldn’t be mad to see us double dip at wr here.

Although Winfield and a wr would work as well

Chromeburn 04-24-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 159574)
Holy Crud, there are about 10 guys that I want to pick still left on the board! I wish we could trade down and get five picks in the top half of the 2nd round; not possible but there are a ton of good guys there.

Some of the defensive backs fell that many thought were low 1st round / fringe 1st round talent. My guess is that one of our early 2nd picks will be defensive back because that appears to be where some of the value is.

Yetur Gross-Matos is hard to overlook as a potential long term starter at left DE taking over for Jabaal Sheard. While not the most athletic, he wins through power, position, hand fighting and a non-stop motor.

CB Trevon Diggs, CB Jaylon Johnson, and S Xavier Mckinney all look to be good value as guys who appear to fit our defense pretty well and could easily be rated by the Colts as 1st round guys.

The choices at WR are insane with Mims, Pittman and Higgins all still on the board and Claypool just a bit later down the list.

Ezra Cleeland, Josh Jones and Robert Hunt are all offensive tackles still on the board that I think have left OT starter potential.

The choices are incredible; I could see a trade back from #34 if it is not too far back to pick up an additional 3rd round pick.

Thoughts?

Gross Matos and Epenesa are over valued by the draft analyst crowd. Supposedly NFL teams are not as high on them. Matos has a bunch of good plays and if you only look at those he looks fantastic. Problem is he has even more bad plays and looks awful in them.

JAFF 04-24-2020 10:05 AM

No temptation on taking a Qb?

Thorgrim 04-24-2020 10:08 AM

Taking a wr in the second is an absolute necessity but I could be convinced of taking Ezra Cleveland with our first pick. He’s the only tackle I see the value in while we can get a solid guard later. If they decide to roll with Castonzo I wouldn’t be shocked if they grabbed Blacklock since Ballard loves those trenches. Ultimately though I think we trade one of our picks and move back.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 159587)

I wouldn't select any of the remaining QB's in Round 2.

Thorgrim 04-24-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 159587)

Perhaps but I would guess they either use the second pick on Eason or more likely trade back and pick him up later in the 2nd. I don’t believe he will be there in the third. I believe that taking Gordon or Morgan later is another strong possibility.

JAFF 04-24-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgrim (Post 159594)
Perhaps but I would guess they either use the second pick on Eason or more likely trade back and pick him up later in the 2nd. I don’t believe he will be there in the third. I believe that taking Gordon or Morgan later is another strong possibility.

Thanks. I dont follow college football that closely, so I’m leaning on the members here for info.

Thorgrim 04-24-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 159596)
Thanks. I dont follow college football that closely, so I’m leaning on the members here for info.

I’m more of a passive follower of college ball myself. My knowledge of football in general has increased tenfold just by reading threads here. We’ve got some incredibly insightful individuals posting here unlike many of the dreadful sites floating around. Heck, before I came here I never realized that the single most important measurable to player success was his stance!

Dam8610 04-24-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 159574)

Thoughts?

Gross-Matos was a guy I realized was there after suggesting I'd be happy with Mims and Cleveland last night. While that would still work for me, Gross-Matos is a guy I didn't think the Colts would have a chance at. Ballard loves adding to the DL and OL, so I could see him going Gross-Matos and Cleveland and putting WR off until round 3. I'd be happy with that as well. Also interesting to see Trevon Diggs and Kristian Fulton still available, but I doubt the Colts would take either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 159579)
A.J. Epenesa looks like the best player left in the draft, i am surprised he fell out of the 1st round.

Other than him, i don't think that there are any shock players that are still available. Everyone else was scheduled back end of the 1st/early 2nd.

Another guy that i would love it if we were to get is Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield Jr. looks like Bob Sanders all over again.

Looks like we have some really nice guys still available with some depth at our primary positions of need.....loads of choices at WR, S Winfield, Chinn, Dugger are all guys i would be delighted should they end up wearing the horseshoe. DE still has Yetur-Gross and Epenesa, CB's Diggs, Jaylon Johnson and Fulton, Tackles still available Josh Jones, Hunt, Cleveland.
If somehow we could end up with 3 of these guys by the end of todays draft i would be incredibly happy.

The 2nd day of the draft in my opinion is always the best day, where all the value is had.

Epenesa is fool's gold IMO. He reminds me so much of Zach Allen in that his only plan appears to be run through his man. I would be very disappointed if Epenesa was a pick of the Colts.

Chromeburn 04-24-2020 11:56 AM

Don't forget Fulton in the CB group. Colts reportedly liked him. I expect a senior bowl receiver if it is one. Pittman or Mims, they were both there and both did well.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 12:18 PM

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...12629564129281

Quote:

The #Bengals are on the clock first tonight at No. 33. Next up are the #Colts, who already are having trade talks about moving down from No. 34. A spot to keep an eye on.

apballin 04-24-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 159610)

Might as well move back and stack em up, still be good WR if we move back

IndyNorm 04-24-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 159616)
Might as well move back and stack em up, still be good WR if we move back

Maybe. What we really need is a couple of difference makers or at least guys who can contribute right away. The more we trade down the less likely that will happen and more likely we end up with guys who won't contribute for a couple of years or end up being just depth guys (like last year).

JAFF 04-24-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgrim (Post 159604)
I’m more of a passive follower of college ball myself. My knowledge of football in general has increased tenfold just by reading threads here. We’ve got some incredibly insightful individuals posting here unlike many of the dreadful sites floating around. Heck, before I came here I never realized that the single most important measurable to player success was his stance!

Sarcasm?

Chromeburn 04-24-2020 01:52 PM

Not surprised teams want to trade up and we want to trade down. Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year? If it is for next year, I bet they target a QB next year.

Some stats on WR's:

Percentage of contested catches last year:

Denzel Mims - 30.3%
Tee Higgins - 18.6%

Percentage of catches from screens:

Devin Duvernay - 40%
Denzel Mims - 1.5%

Quote:

Best bet
Denzel Mims -235

Higgins' stock has plummeted - arguably more than that of anyone else at his position. He didn't light it up at his pro day and demonstrated a limited route tree during his career at Clemson, sending his average projected draft position from 19.5 to the fringes of the first round. I boarded the Mims train early and am hoping the momentum hasn't slowed down, though the price of this matchup prop is getting a little out of my comfort zone. I'm simply reading the tea leaves here and hoping Higgins' fall is real. If it is, Mims should hear his name called well before his counterpart.
Quote:

Michael Pittman Jr., USC
Pittman is my bet for this year’s most overthought prospect. You can chase high-end athletic tools all you want, but give me guys like Pittman who know the receiver position like the back of their hand. He can not only separate on the underneath and intermediate route trees, but Pittman is terrific at using his size to stack cornerbacks down the football field. In terms of completeness at the receiver position, Pittman is right up there with anyone in the draft class. What really separates him are his hands. He’s dropped only five passes on 176 catchable targets in his career.
Quote:

John Hightower, Boise State
Hightower is yet another wideout with some speed to burn as he clocked in with a 4.43 at the Combine in Indianapolis. That showed up repeatedly on tape as he averaged 18.5 yards per catch this past season. The Boise State wideout is exceptionally fluid and he isn’t simply winning by striding straight past slower defensive backs on go balls. He sells post-corners and other downfield double moves exceptionally well. We’d love to see him continue to add muscle to his frame, though, as he still only checked in at the Combine weighing 189 pounds — and his ability to fight through contact was inhibited because of it.
Quote:

Devin Duvernay, Texas
Duvernay is on the opposite end of the YAC spectrum from Jennings. He’s a former track athlete who blazed a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. Jet-sweeps and screens are his bread and butter as Duvernay had the second most receptions on screens of any player in the country (42). He converted those into 17 first downs or scores and broke 14 tackles on them — both figures that led the country. With his combination of speed, power and elusiveness, he’ll quickly find a role in an NFL offense.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 159627)
Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year? If it is for next year, I bet they target a QB next year.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1253735544963633154

Quote:

Some buzz on Round 2:
— Among the players the #Bengals like at No. 33 are Ross Blacklock & Denzel Mims.

— Colts (34) & Dolphins (39) open to moving out.

— Saints (CB? LB?), Jets (CB?), Jaguars (OT?), Falcons among the teams who have made calls to move up.

New Orleans would need to include next year's picks for sure because they have already traded away this year's 2nd round draft pick. The 2nd and 3rd round draft picks of those four teams are below:

Atlanta Falcons - 2-47, 3-78
Jacksonville - 2-42, 3-73
New York Jets - 2-48, 3-68, 3-79
New Orleans Saints - 3-88

Chaka 04-24-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 159627)
Not surprised teams want to trade up and we want to trade down. Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year?

Take next year's picks. You get more value out of those, and if there ends up being no season this year, then the intrinsic value of a pick this year and next year should be about the same.

Hoopsdoc 04-24-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 159628)
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1253735544963633154

New Orleans would need to include next year's picks for sure because they have already traded away this year's 2nd round draft pick. The 2nd and 3rd round draft picks of those four teams are below:

Atlanta Falcons - 2-47, 3-78
Jacksonville - 2-42, 3-73
New York Jets - 2-48, 3-68, 3-79
New Orleans Saints - 3-88

Trade with the Jets or Atlanta, if possible, especially if it involves picks next year. Those teams figure to be bad again.

IndyNorm 04-24-2020 02:23 PM

2nd round mock draft FWIW. This guy has us taking Higgins at 34 and Eason at 44.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ks/3020019001/

Thorgrim 04-24-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 159624)
Sarcasm?

Only about stance. The complimentary part was sincere.

JAFF 04-24-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgrim (Post 159634)
Only about stance. The complimentary part was sincere.

That’s cool.

I can tell you that I believe footwork is the foundation of all athletic endeavors. How you get there is another story

Racehorse 04-24-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 159624)
Sarcasm?

Used to be a clown on here, well...

Chaka 04-24-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 159631)
Take next year's picks. You get more value out of those, and if there ends up being no season this year, then the intrinsic value of a pick this year and next year should be about the same.

Actually, if this season is cancelled, a pick next year might very well be worth MORE than a pick this year, since all the picks this year will be a year older but have no NFL game experience AND may be a year closer to free agency (this latter issue is likely addressed in some general way in the collective bargaining agreement, and I'd expect that free agency eligibility ultimately won't be affected, but I haven't looked it up and so I can't be sure)

rcubed 04-24-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 159633)
2nd round mock draft FWIW. This guy has us taking Higgins at 34 and Eason at 44.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ks/3020019001/

Here are a few more:

The Athletic’s Dane Brugler: Pick No. 34: WR-Michael Pittman (USC), Pick No. 44: S-Antoine Winfield (Minnesota), No. 75 QB-Jake Fromm (Georgia)

CBS Sports’ Ryan Wilson: Pick No. 34: S-Grant Delpit (LSU), No. 44: WR-Denzel Mims (Baylor), Pick No. 75: DE-Terrell Lewis (Alabama)

Sports Illustrated’s Kevin Hanson: Pick No. 34: WR-Tee Higgins (Clemson), Pick No. 44: QB-Jacob Eason (Washington), Pick No. 75: TE-Adam Trautman (Dayton)

USA Today’s Mark Schofield: Pick No. 34: WR-Denzel Mims (Baylor), Pick No. 44: CB-Jaylon Johnson (Utah), Pick No. 75: TE-Harrison Bryant (Florida Atlantic)

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 159664)

CBS Sports’ Ryan Wilson: Pick No. 34: S-Grant Delpit (LSU), No. 44: WR-Denzel Mims (Baylor), Pick No. 75: DE-Terrell Lewis (Alabama)

I would be happy with the one from Ryan Wilson.

TêteDeFer 04-24-2020 06:30 PM

I'd like 3 of those tonight, in order of preference :

WR : Pittman, Mims, Claypool
OT : Peart, Wanogho
DT : Gallimore, Blacklock
G : Hunt, Simpson
S : Winfield, Dugger, Davis
DE : Anae, Greenard

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 06:49 PM

Al Breer wrote that the Colts and Bucs both had some interest in Eason:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/24/nf...mpression=true

Quote:

Three quarterbacks are in play to go tonight, I’d think: Washington’s Jacob Eason, Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts and Georgia’s Jake Fromm. My guess is Eason would be the first to come off the board, and I’ve heard him connected to the Buccaneers and the Colts over the last couple months. Both would afford him a redshirt year in 2020. The comp I’ve heard on Eason is Drew Bledsoe, which is perfect because I had one veteran assistant coach refer to him as a “1995 prototype” a few weeks back.

rm1369 04-24-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TêteDeFer (Post 159668)
I'd like 3 of those tonight, in order of preference :

WR : Pittman, Mims, Claypool
OT : Peart, Wanogho
DT : Gallimore, Blacklock
G : Hunt, Simpson
S : Winfield, Dugger, Davis
DE : Anae, Greenard

I’d love to end up with two out of this group in the 2nd:

OT: Cleveland, Jones
DT: Blacklock, Gallimore
WR: Mims, Pittman, Claypool
DE: Gross-Matos

With the depth at WR in the draft and previous investments at DE I’d lean towards DT or OT now and double up at WR later. I fully expect a trade down from one of the two picks though.

smitty46953 04-24-2020 06:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Colts select Xavier McKinney if they are down on Hooker :cool:

smitty46953 04-24-2020 07:01 PM

With Bengals saying they are picking, Ballard is salivating at chance for more picks... We trade down :cool:

Thorgrim 04-24-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 159674)
With Bengals saying they are picking, Ballard is salivating at chance for more picks... We trade down :cool:

I wonder if the suggested 59 and 64 from Seattle is realistic.

YDFL Commish 04-24-2020 07:16 PM

I'm predicting trade down from 34, if Ballard can find a dance partner.

RCAChainGang 04-24-2020 07:18 PM

Damn, I wanted Higgins

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-24-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 159674)

Colts select WR Michael Pittman

nate505 04-24-2020 07:19 PM

I hope they pick Mims or Shenault (I get his injury history, but I'm a Colorado guy so it's a homer pick...plus I think he will be great if he can stay healthy).

That said it'll probably be a lineman or DB.

smitty46953 04-24-2020 07:19 PM

Kevin Bowen‏ @KBowen1070

Per @AlbertBreer, the #Colts are taking WR-Michael Pittman (USC) at No. 34 overall.

:cool:

Maniac 04-24-2020 07:20 PM

Pittman at 34 over Mims? Fuck no.