ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If the Colts trade a 1st round pick for Stafford then how do they find a left tackle? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117162)

jasperhobbs 01-24-2021 02:50 PM

If the Colts trade a 1st round pick for Stafford then how do they find a left tackle?

Hard to get a decent left tackle after the first round and usually none are available via free agency.

Mr. Session 01-24-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperhobbs (Post 185033)
Hard to get a decent left tackle after the first round and usually none are available via free agency.

Nelson, I guess.:rolleyes:

Maniac 01-24-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

How?

https://i.imgur.com/YfCO8lE.jpg

Hoopsdoc 01-24-2021 04:04 PM

You worry about tackle later. Grab the quarterback now.

If nothing else, put Smith at left tackle and stick Green/Clark/draft pick/free agent at right tackle.

In fact, I’d rather they put Smith over there than Nelson.

Coltsaction 01-24-2021 04:17 PM

Polian ALWAYS found his Online in the latter rounds .....not that it always worked out but that was his philosophy.

TheMugwump 01-24-2021 04:21 PM

FA tackle Trent Williams is possibly going to be available. When San Fran acquired him from Washington, they agreed to not us the tag.

He'll be pricey though.

Maniac 01-24-2021 04:32 PM

The QB is the most valuable position. Without a good one, you're screwed. You do whatever you can to fix that position no matter what, then you worry about filling the other needs. Ballard will address it either in another round of the draft or free agency. Worry about the QB first.

JAFF 01-24-2021 04:55 PM

Move Nelson, draft and sign FA guard

Mr. Session 01-24-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 185050)
FA tackle Trent Williams is possibly going to be available. When San Fran acquired him from Washington, they agreed to not us the tag.

He'll be pricey though.

If Williams can still play, and we can afford him, I would be okay with trading more than just one first.

Williams and Nelson together would be fucking scary. Put Doyle on the end and I’d hate to have to be the guy responsible for filling those gaps.

Dam8610 01-24-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

To answer your question, this class has several solid prospects, and it would be possible to get a long term starting LT on Day 2. In the short term, the Colts would need a bandaid solution like resigning Veldheer or moving Nelson over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 185043)

Best answer.

Quote:

He'll be pricey though.

This would be a good patch solution as well.

JAFF 01-24-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

He'll be pricey though.

If they sign Williams, then play Eason and see if Brissett wants to stay.

That line, with the RB they have, you can let a young Qb learn on the job

Butter 01-24-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsaction (Post 185049)
Polian ALWAYS found his Online in the latter rounds .....not that it always worked out but that was his philosophy.

Tarik Glenn who protected Manning's blindside was a 1st round pick, drafted the year before Polian, but he had the LT well covered most of his tenure with the Colts.

YDFL Commish 01-24-2021 07:46 PM

As a stopgap I wouldn't be against bringing Weldheer back for another season , until we can get his figured out.

I thought he played pretty damn well for us.

JAFF 01-24-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 185098)
As a stopgap I wouldn't be against bringing Weldheer back for another season , until we can get his figured out.

I thought he played pretty damn well for us.

Did you watch him in the GB / TB game? Not that impressive

jasperhobbs 01-24-2021 09:08 PM

Perhaps trading for Stafford and signing Trent Williams is the best solution.

Racehorse 01-24-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperhobbs (Post 185120)
Perhaps trading for Stafford and signing Trent Williams is the best solution.

Perhaps

It might not leave much for other players we need to replace, though

Oldcolt 01-24-2021 10:15 PM

Williams is going to test free agency. His signing would keep the line as the strength of this team. We could afford it but it seems out of character with Ballard. You never know however. I do remember him alluding to adding thru free agency once a team was almost completely built and had the correct identity. That and if we added both Stafford and Williams people may say we won the off season. I hate that.

Dam8610 01-24-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 185136)
Williams is going to test free agency. His signing would keep the line as the strength of this team. We could afford it but it seems out of character with Ballard. You never know however. I do remember him alluding to adding thru free agency once a team was almost completely built and had the correct identity. That and if we added both Stafford and Williams people may say we won the off season. I hate that.

No one would say that if the Colts traded their 1 for Stafford. Getting Stafford and Williams would certainly be win now moves, though, and Ballard especially started trending that direction last offseason with the additions of Buckner and Rivers. Stafford would give the Colts another 5 years to figure out the position, and I think we'd be pleasantly surprised by what we get from him, because he's never been surrounded by a supporting cast like that of the Colts, especially on the OL.

Butter 01-25-2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 185138)
No one would say that if the Colts traded their 1 for Stafford. Getting Stafford and Williams would certainly be win now moves, though, and Ballard especially started trending that direction last offseason with the additions of Buckner and Rivers. Stafford would give the Colts another 5 years to figure out the position, and I think we'd be pleasantly surprised by what we get from him, because he's never been surrounded by a supporting cast like that of the Colts, especially on the OL.

I am all in if he can do it without giving too much, those additions make us contenders for 2-5 years.

IndyNorm 01-25-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 185118)
Did you watch him in the GB / TB game? Not that impressive

Did Veldheer actually play? He was on the COVID list through the week.

Either way, I wonder if he signs with KC now, lol.

Chromeburn 01-25-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 185173)
Did Veldheer actually play? He was on the COVID list through the week.

Either way, I wonder if he signs with KC now, lol.

He didn’t. It was Billy Turner and Ricky Wagner at tackles. Turner is usually their guard and Wagner comes off the bench.