ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2018 NFL Free Agents (tampering period starts 3/12/18) (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37051)

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 58578)
So think about the fact that the Bill would also have to add in 3.1 to make the draft chart points close to equal. Probably get even more than that... but anyway.

Would you rather have Chubb or get one of

Edmunds, Landry, Vea, Smith or Nelson at 12 and possibly Davenport, Key, Guice, Michel, Conner or Vander Esch at 21?

Could get 2 very good edge guys for the price of one... or 2 very good Olineman for the price of Chubb.

Then an extra third and possibly a 4th or 5th added in there?

Seems like a pretty good move to me... we have lots of holes to fill

I take Chubb all day if he’s there. If he isn’t, I’m taking 12, 21, and 53 unless Browns, Jets, or Broncos can beat it. If the Giants aren’t picking a QB, then they’re a logical trade partner for the Bills as well.

Puck 03-12-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 58582)
I take Chubb all day if he’s there. If he isn’t, I’m taking 12, 21, and 53 unless Browns, Jets, or Broncos can beat it. If the Giants aren’t picking a QB, then they’re a logical trade partner for the Bills as well.

I guess i just haven't bought into the Chubb hype. Not sure I wouldnt rather have the combo of Nelson and Davenport. And then have an extra 2nd or third for more picks

Coltsalr 03-12-2018 09:15 PM

UPDATE: A league source told The Record and NorthJersey.com that Norwell has narrowed his choices to three finalists: the Giants, the 49ers and the Indianapolis Colts.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...ets/411244002/

Sign him, Ballard!

Puck 03-12-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 58588)
UPDATE: A league source told The Record and NorthJersey.com that Norwell has narrowed his choices to three finalists: the Giants, the 49ers and the Indianapolis Colts.

Sign him, Ballard!

Ballard better not try to low ball him, because the Giants will not!

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 58585)
I guess i just haven't bought into the Chubb hype. Not sure I wouldnt rather have the combo of Nelson and Davenport. And then have an extra 2nd or third for more picks

You think you’re getting Nelson with a trade down to 12, or are you suggesting him at 3?

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Sign him, Ballard!

All Ballard can do is make a competitive offer and this means he is.

Indiana V2 03-12-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Sign him, Ballard!

Git 'er done.!

smitty46953 03-12-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 58590)
You think you’re getting Nelson with a trade down to 12, or are you suggesting him at 3?

No way Nelson is there at 12 barring an unexpected setback of some type. I personally want to trade back and fill more holes. If not then protect Luck and take Nelson and be glad you did... :cool:

Coltsalr 03-12-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 58591)
All Ballard can do is make a competitive offer and this means he is.

I’d hand him a blank check and make it known that we will NOT be outbid.

Dewey 5 03-12-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 58589)
Ballard better not try to low ball him, because the Giants will not!

Nor will SF.

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 58596)
I’d hand him a blank check and make it known that we will NOT be outbid.

You can’t run any sort of business that way. If you do, you’ll only fail.

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 58595)
No way Nelson is there at 12 barring an unexpected setback of some type. I personally want to trade back and fill more holes. If not then protect Luck and take Nelson and be glad you did... :cool:

Agreed on him not being there. My preferences are pretty straightforward:

1) Take Chubb
2) Trade back to 4, 5, or 6 and pick either Nelson or Smith

Coltsalr 03-12-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 58598)
You can’t run any sort of business that way. If you do, you’ll only fail.

You also can’t run any sort of business not protecting your greatest asset.

You’ll only fail. As Grigson found out.

FatDT 03-12-2018 10:21 PM

It's not like Ballard would treat every FA this way. Norwell is a proven top player at a position where talent is incredibly scarce. Pay him $15 or$16 million per year. Whatever it takes.

Dam8610 03-12-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 58578)
So think about the fact that the Bill would also have to add in 3.1 to make the draft chart points close to equal. Probably get even more than that... but anyway.

Would you rather have Chubb or get one of

Edmunds, Landry, Vea, Smith or Nelson at 12 and possibly Davenport, Key, Guice, Michel, Conner or Vander Esch at 21?

Could get 2 very good edge guys for the price of one... or 2 very good Olineman for the price of Chubb.

Then an extra third and possibly a 4th or 5th added in there?

Seems like a pretty good move to me... we have lots of holes to fill

I'd take Davenport and Vander Esch in your scenario, and I'd still rather have Chubb.

Coltsalr 03-12-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 58603)
It's not like Ballard would treat every FA this way. Norwell is a proven top player at a position where talent is incredibly scarce. Pay him $15 or$16 million per year. Whatever it takes.

Yep. Aside from Luck himself, I would not advocate this approach anywhere else.

The need is too great at that position. Throw whatever it takes at it.

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 58602)
You also can’t run any sort of business not protecting your greatest asset.

You’ll only fail. As Grigson found out.

You can protect Luck without paying Norwell $15MM/year.

VeveJones007 03-12-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Because you have to pay 60 players and have major holes at 10 starting positions?

Does anyone do a budget for their household? Paying $15MM/year for Norwell is like buying a Lamborghini and having to shop at Walmart.

Dam8610 03-12-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

That's too much. Maybe a 5/$65 to beat Zeitler's deal, but I'd want a good portion of that money and all of the guarantees to be in the first two years.

Dewey 5 03-12-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Sign him, Ballard!

If lands anywhere other the than with the Giants I will be shocked.

YDFL Commish 03-13-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 58611)
If lands anywhere other the than with the Giants I will be shocked.

I thought that a lot of the players didn't like Gettlemen in Carolina?

njcoltfan 03-13-2018 07:18 AM

Norwell to the Jags, according to NFL network !! To the fuckin Jags !!!!.!

Coltsalr 03-13-2018 08:18 AM

Wow, this appears to be drying up pretty quickly:

@RapSheet
The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

Spike 03-13-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 58644)

Damn it!!!!!

Maniac 03-13-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 58651)
Wow, this appears to be drying up pretty quickly:

@RapSheet
The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

He is not that good anyway.

Maniac 03-13-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 58644)

That sucks. 5 years $66.5 million supposedly (not sure the guaranteed number)

They won't be able to keep that team together very long at all then. They will have a lot of contracts coming up and a lot of their defensive guys will deserve a big pay day.

Coltsalr 03-13-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 58655)
He is not that good anyway.

Much better than Antonio Morrison.

Then again, you’re probably better than Antonio Morrison.

FatDT 03-13-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 58607)
Because you have to pay 60 players and have major holes at 10 starting positions?

Does anyone do a budget for their household? Paying $15MM/year for Norwell is like buying a Lamborghini and having to shop at Walmart.

You're full of dumb comparisons. The cap goes up every year and we've already signed our franchise QB to a huge contract. By the time Norwell's contract even looked like it could one day be a problem the cap will have gone up over $200M and once again the team would've been fine.

But it doesn't matter because instead the best team in our division, with way less cap space and 5x the blue chip players on their roster, is signing him to a contract that we easily could've beaten. Ballard pissed away the chance to sign a good guard or tackle last year when there were multiple options. And now we're missing out on the biggest and clearest OL upgrade when we have what, the 2nd most cap space in the league? None of the other OL options are even close to Norwell's level.

New GM, new coach, 26 games missed by Luck, and we are still dicking around with the OL. We now have to go OL early in the draft.

njcoltfan 03-13-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 58665)
You're full of dumb comparisons. The cap goes up every year and we've already signed our franchise QB to a huge contract. By the time Norwell's contract even looked like it could one day be a problem the cap will have gone up over $200M and once again the team would've been fine.

But it doesn't matter because instead the best team in our division, with way less cap space and 5x the blue chip players on their roster, is signing him to a contract that we easily could've beaten. Ballard pissed away the chance to sign a good guard or tackle last year when there were multiple options. And now we're missing out on the biggest and clearest OL upgrade when we have what, the 2nd most cap space in the league? None of the other OL options are even close to Norwell's level.

New GM, new coach, 26 games missed by Luck, and we are still dicking around with the OL. We now have to go OL early in the draft.

Speaking of our GM, I’m starting to wonder just how good he is. Does anyone think that Irsay might be having a negative effect on free agents signing with the Colts ??

FatDT 03-13-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 58666)
Speaking of our GM, I’m starting to wonder just how good he is. Does anyone think that Irsay might be having a negative effect on free agents signing with the Colts ??

I'm not ready to question him too hard yet, FA for this team was pretty good last season, and I was happy with the draft. The McDaniels situation made him look kind of stupid but we ended up with Reich, who could prove to be the better HC.

It is just going to suck watching Norwell stuff our guys twice a year, while Luck runs for his life against the Jaguars pass rush.

Maniac 03-13-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 58665)

How much did Ballard offer Norwell?

Coltsalr 03-13-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 58676)
How much did Ballard offer Norwell?

Not enough, apparently.

Maniac 03-13-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 58677)
Not enough, apparently.

That's the answer I expected, because you don't know and neither does FatDT, yet Ballard "pissed away the chance." Unless you know for sure what Ballard offered wasn't competitive, then making that statement is dumb.

Racehorse 03-13-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 58678)
That's the answer I expected, because you don't know and neither does FatDT, yet Ballard "pissed away the chance." Unless you know for sure what Ballard offered wasn't competitive, then making that statement is dumb.

Blaming a GM for not getting a guy to sign a contract is stupid, unless we know the actual numbers and years offered. We don't, so I will hold my opinion on losing out until I hear what we offered. Even then, a player also has to want to sign with whoever offers the contract.

FatDT 03-13-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 58678)

Larry Warford, Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Whitworth, TJ Lang, Russell Okung, and now Andrew Norwell. Lots of talent going to other teams and our OL is still a fucking mess. But I guess Ballard must have offered all those guy competitive deals and for whatever reason they all chose other teams.

Maniac 03-13-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 58685)
Larry Warford, Kevin Zeitler, Andrew Whitworth, TJ Lang, Russell Okung, and now Andrew Norwell. Lots of talent going to other teams and our OL is still a fucking mess. But I guess Ballard must have offered all those guy competitive deals and for whatever reason they all chose other teams.

Go ahead and name every free agent out there that the Colts didn't sign, so you can blame Ballard for all of them. :rolleyes:

1965southpaw 03-13-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 58666)

I don't think it's an Irsay (or Ballard) effect. I think its a winning effect. We won 4 games last year and so far haven't drafted anyone new so we are still a product of that record with no real reason for free agents to think we can be better.....other than the promise of a better design on offense and defense. Free agents, I think, are trying to optimize their ability to get paid AND compete for championships. Let's face it. Right now colts are not an attractive destination and won't be until we have a couple of good drafts. The fact that Jax is a contender, is willing to pay, and oh by the way has NO INCOME TAX sucks for us but he made a smart choice.

Dewey 5 03-13-2018 11:29 AM

Apparently Ballard & the Colts are sitting this one out.

Dam8610 03-13-2018 11:31 AM

Might as well focus on DT, LB, and CB at this point, that's where the value is.

Coltsalr 03-13-2018 11:35 AM

Take Trey Burton off the list too:

@AdamSchefter
Former Eagles’ TE Trey Burton intends to sign a 4-year, $32 million deal with the Bears, as @MikeGarafolo reported.