ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are the odds we have a season? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102840)

Chromeburn 07-10-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 163863)
Me neither. It's been stated that we'll be at 100,000 new infections per day (and rising) in a few weeks. I understand people trying to be optimistic, we all want to watch the Colts, but there's a line between that and just being obtuse. I doubt the vast majority of players are willing to risk their health/life over a game. It sucks but it's better than being dead or permanently damaged.

Well some players can afford to not play the season and wait till next year. Way too many live paycheck to paycheck though. Rookies are kinda screwed too. No playing time, and no incoming salary. Feel bad for the next group of college players too. If there is no college season, how do you have a draft? No late risers, like a Joe Burrow or Kyler Murry to show what they have.

apballin 07-10-2020 08:47 PM

There is too much money on the line, and I’m sure these guys have to feel secure knowing that the NFL will make sure they are safe as possible with healthcare regular people can only dream of. Not to mention the importance of staying in shape there’s only so much running and weight lifting you can do there’s nothing like football shape and that’s been proven

Brylok 07-11-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 163873)
Well some players can afford to not play the season and wait till next year. Way too many live paycheck to paycheck though. Rookies are kinda screwed too. No playing time, and no incoming salary. Feel bad for the next group of college players too. If there is no college season, how do you have a draft? No late risers, like a Joe Burrow or Kyler Murry to show what they have.

I 💯 agree with all of that. It absolutely sucks, and the kids are the ones who are going to be the most screwed. Jim Irsay sent a notice out to season ticket holders today explaining how seating, vending, accommodations etc, will be handled for the coming season. The thing is, it's going to be so exponentially worse than it is now, I don't know if Jim even comprehends it. I love the guy, but I still don't see any way of it happening unless the owners just say "fuck it...hope nobody dies" and the players go along with that. Not to mention that some parts of the country have done significantly better than others in trying to handle the virus. I live in the south. We've done a terrible job, and half the people where I live (mostly intelligent Huntsville, AL) still don't take any precautions. How would a team from a place that has done well feel safe coming down here to play? And I'm in Huntsville! God help you if you have to play anywhere in Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. If I were a vested veteran who had already made my NFL money, I'd rather sit out or retire rather than risk my and my family's life. So, yeah, the kids will suffer the most. So will the kids (and teachers) who will be forced back into the schools when the time comes to go back next month. Sorry for the wall of text, but yeah, it's an awful mess...and it's gonna get worse.

IndyNorm 07-12-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 163861)
what happens if a team loses a large number of players for a period of time? NBA is doing the bubble for near complete isolation during the short time they will finish the season. I dont think you could isolate 32 NFL teams like that for an entire NFL season. so what happens when a team gets hit and 10-15 players are unavailable for a couple weeks? how do they replace those players?

All of the other sports starting up will probably be a litmus test. If things go more or less ok for NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS then the NFL will probably give it a go. If the other sports end in disaster then we're probably looking at a postponed and possibly cancelled season.

JAFF 07-12-2020 03:58 PM

Football can be played in any season, any weather, so the NFL can start whenever. Same with basketball and hockey. Now how much competition do they want between each other is their problem.

Baseball is screwed. They need gate revenue, TV money doesnt cover the cost of business. Baseball is looking at being pushed to regional status with hockey as the NBA and NFL steamroll over them

Maniac 07-27-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 163902)
All of the other sports starting up will probably be a litmus test. If things go more or less ok for NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS then the NFL will probably give it a go. If the other sports end in disaster then we're probably looking at a postponed and possibly cancelled season.

MLB already having to cancel games because of outbreaks. If they can't do it with players spaced out on the field and smaller rosters, then the NFL has no chance.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 07-27-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 164598)
MLB already having to cancel games because of outbreaks. If they can't do it with players spaced out on the field and smaller rosters, then the NFL has no chance.

The Minnesota Vikings Infection Control Officer has tested positive for COVID-19 and is now in quarantine:

https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-inf...e-for-covid-19

HoosierinFL 07-27-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Yep, the Marlins got 11 players with it. That pretty much takes them out of the league short of having an entire farm system in place to replace those players with - which is theoretically possible with baseball, though the quality of play is likely to go down.

But with football? forget it. I don't care how much money is on the line, the NFL has literally no meaningful safeguards in place for the players. It's not a question of *if* there will be an outbreak that decimates a team, but when.

The NFL might try to start a season, but it'll get called probably 1/4 of the way into it.

IndyNorm 07-27-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah, not looking good for MLB :mad: It seemed like for the most part all teams came out of Summer Camp in pretty good shape, but guess that's easier to control over the actual games themselves. We'll see how it goes from here, but I'm not too optimistic.

apballin 07-27-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 164642)
Yep, the Marlins got 11 players with it. That pretty much takes them out of the league short of having an entire farm system in place to replace those players with - which is theoretically possible with baseball, though the quality of play is likely to go down.

But with football? forget it. I don't care how much money is on the line, the NFL has literally no meaningful safeguards in place for the players. It's not a question of *if* there will be an outbreak that decimates a team, but when.

The NFL might try to start a season, but it'll get called probably 1/4 of the way into it.

The season is happening, baseball is still going calm down

rcubed 07-28-2020 12:23 AM

There is too much TV money. They will start the season at a minimum. Hopefully they can make it all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brylok 07-28-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 164681)
There is too much TV money. They will start the season at a minimum. Hopefully they can make it all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. There's no way they'll get thru it. Zero chance. MLB will close within the next 2-3 weeks. We're a nation of plague rats. Arrogant, ignorant, banned from the rest of the developed world plague rats. We're the world's richest 3rd world country now. Bannna republic.

Brylok 07-28-2020 01:20 PM

I was just looking at Ian Rapoport's twitter account and lots of players, many of them lineman, are opting out for the season. I suspect this will continue.

HoosierinFL 07-28-2020 04:23 PM

Several players have opted out of the season, including 6 Patriots. Many starters. This may snowball

Brylok 07-28-2020 06:07 PM

Marlins and Phillies are getting shut down, and the league is trying to rework the schedule to exclude the two teams. What a clusterfu*k.

apballin 07-28-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 164748)
Several players have opted out of the season, including 6 Patriots. Many starters. This may snowball

Zero Colts, fuck the Patriots

Colts And Orioles 07-29-2020 06:49 AM

o

A socially-distant bench-clearing ???

Benches Clear as Dodgers' Joe Kelly Throws Behind Astros' Alex Bregman, Taunts Carlos Correa

(By Alden Gonzalez)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-carlos-correa

https://media.nbclosangeles.com/2020...size=850%2C478

o

Chromeburn 07-29-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 164783)
o

A socially-distant bench-clearing ???

Benches Clear as Dodgers' Joe Kelly Throws Behind Astros' Alex Bregman, Taunts Carlos Correa

(By Alden Gonzalez)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-carlos-correa

https://media.nbclosangeles.com/2020...size=850%2C478

o

Be interesting to see if anyuone gets sick from this

WEEKEND WARRIOR 07-30-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 164748)

Belicheat and the Patsies tanking the season the get Trevor Lawrence !!

YDFL Commish 07-30-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEEKEND WARRIOR (Post 164902)
Belicheat and the Patsies tanking the season the get Trevor Lawrence !!

Then why bring in Cam Newton?

Butter 08-02-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 164915)

Because they are not tanking.

Brylok 08-03-2020 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 165057)
Because they are not tanking.

The only tank we have to worry about this year is the ventilator tank. God bless ya'll and keep living.

TheMugwump 08-03-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 164915)

Because Newton has nothing left in his arm, and he'll help them tank?

apballin 08-03-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 165059)
The only tank we have to worry about this year is the ventilator tank. God bless ya'll and keep living.

Dude they are playing, basketball, baseball, and football it’s not the zombie apocalypse

Brylok 08-06-2020 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165124)
Dude they are playing, basketball, baseball, and football it’s not the zombie apocalypse

Zombies aren't real. "Zombie apocalypse" is not real. COVID-19 is, and it will come for as many of us as it can. Wear a mask, wash yourself, social distance, and STFU. FFS...smh

JAFF 08-08-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 165296)
Zombies aren't real. "Zombie apocalypse" is not real. COVID-19 is, and it will come for as many of us as it can. Wear a mask, wash yourself, social distance, and STFU. FFS...smh

From the GM: Put a damn mask on. Why is that so hard? It’s not about you. It’s about everybody else.’’

apballin 08-08-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 165296)

I wear a mask in a hot ass factory all day long, STFU and quit crying this shit is blown out of proportion you sound like all the pussies at my job that are trying to get out of work. There will be a season GTFO with your end of the world bullshit

Chromeburn 08-09-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165457)
I wear a mask in a hot ass factory all day long, STFU and quit crying this shit is blown out of proportion you sound like all the pussies at my job that are trying to get out of work. There will be a season GTFO with your end of the world bullshit

Please spare us your conservative talking points. It’s a serious medical issue affecting the entire world.

Maniac 08-09-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

You can call people pussies all you want, the virus doesn't give a shit. You can't ignore it and think it will go away. You can't "man up" and think it will just go away. The virus doesn't give a shit if you think it's a bunch of bullshit.

165,000 people dead in this country from this in 6 months and we may not be to the worst part of it yet. So go ahead and make fun of people who take a pandemic seriously if that makes you feel like a big man, but it doesn't matter. It won't change a thing.

apballin 08-09-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 165483)
You can call people pussies all you want, the virus doesn't give a shit. You can't ignore it and think it will go away. You can't "man up" and think it will just go away. The virus doesn't give a shit if you think it's a bunch of bullshit.

165,000 people dead in this country from this in 6 months and we may not be to the worst part of it yet. So go ahead and make fun of people who take a pandemic seriously if that makes you feel like a big man, but it doesn't matter. It won't change a thing.

Acting like it’s doomsday and keep insinuating there will not be a season because of the bs does nothing either. Again on topic 100% there will be a season I’m willing to put $$ on it for those that are confident

TheMugwump 08-09-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165488)
Acting like it’s doomsday and keep insinuating there will not be a season because of the bs does nothing either. Again on topic 100% there will be a season I’m willing to put $$ on it for those that are confident

Well, college football this fall is about to go away, so I suppose that's going to be an overreaction too?

And yah, before you say it, there IS lot more money at stake in the NFL than even in college football. Still, those university presidents aren't giving up those millions that they would get because of something blown out of all proportion.

There will not be a season. I'd be shocked if they get through two weeks.

JAFF 08-09-2020 10:08 PM

Colleges have a liability issue with college athletes.

Maniac 08-10-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165488)

No one is acting like it's doomsday. You just keep throwing out that wording for drama in your own mind.

Guessing that there may not be a season is very plausible since the MLB is struggling to do it and they have an easier way to make games up than what the NFL would ever be able to do. College football is already affected.

But this is all just us guessing, just like you're guessing and wanting to put $$ on it. It doesn't matter what either side thinks. We just have to wait and find out what happens.

Brylok 08-10-2020 02:25 AM

Quote:

161,000+ dead Americans and rising. 5,000,000+ Americans infected with the virus and rising (CDC says the true number is up to 10 times higher). 90,000 school aged kids tested positive in the last week of July and are now going back to school. We're still in the first wave in this country, and we'll probably wind up with over 1,000,000+ dead Americans, largely because of people like you (the worst poster on this board). Be sure to keep your nose inside the mask you supposedly wear. Fucking douchebag

smitty46953 08-10-2020 12:52 PM

In a vote of 12-2 Big 10 has voted to cancel football season, PAC-12 as well

HoosierinFL 08-10-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 165537)
In a vote of 12-2 Big 10 has voted to cancel football season, PAC-12 as well

Expected, but sucks, I think IU was gonna have a breakout year.

apballin 08-10-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 165507)
161,000+ dead Americans and rising. 5,000,000+ Americans infected with the virus and rising (CDC says the true number is up to 10 times higher). 90,000 school aged kids tested positive in the last week of July and are now going back to school. We're still in the first wave in this country, and we'll probably wind up with over 1,000,000+ dead Americans, largely because of people like you (the worst poster on this board). Be sure to keep your nose inside the mask you supposedly wear. Fucking douchebag

People like me that go to work everyday and don’t make excuses and worst poster is a matter of opinion I could care less what any of you think about me but all I said from the beginning is 100% we will have a season we’ll see who ends up being right

apballin 08-10-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 165501)
Well, college football this fall is about to go away, so I suppose that's going to be an overreaction too?

And yah, before you say it, there IS lot more money at stake in the NFL than even in college football. Still, those university presidents aren't giving up those millions that they would get because of something blown out of all proportion.

There will not be a season. I'd be shocked if they get through two weeks.

Liability concerns that was stated earlier those guys are not under contract the schools are worried about getting sued

Maniac 08-10-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165554)
People like me that go to work everyday and don’t make excuses and worst poster is a matter of opinion I could care less what any of you think about me but all I said from the beginning is 100% we will have a season we’ll see who ends up being right

I have gone to work every day as well. Is that some amazing feat?

apballin 08-10-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 165579)
I have gone to work every day as well. Is that some amazing feat?

I’d say it speaks to your character when there has never been an easier time to access money or time off without any penalty then right now