PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Rhodes to Colts

ChoppedWood
03-26-2020, 04:44 PM
1 Year deal.

So there's your replacement for Desir.

Was not long ago considered top 5 cb- hope he gets that stature back and we pay him long term.

Ironshaft
03-26-2020, 05:46 PM
He turns 30 in June.

Not sure that we going to pay an over 30 CB who has had a number of disappointing years lately big money even if he turns in a banner year with us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

smitty46953
03-26-2020, 06:20 PM
Tom Pelissero‏Verified account @TomPelissero · 13m13 minutes ago

Tom Pelissero Retweeted Ian Rapoport

My understanding is Rhodes’ deal with the #Colts is worth around $5 million. Not a bad payday after #Vikings cut him, and a bargain if he returns to top form.

:cool:

Luck4Reich
03-26-2020, 06:35 PM

My understanding is Rhodes’ deal with the #Colts is worth around $5 million. Not a bad payday after #Vikings cut him, and a bargain if he returns to top form.

Not bad at all!

Luck4Reich
03-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Puts the Colts around 24 million in cap space left if I'm not mistaken.

Luck4Reich
03-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Puts the Colts around 24 million in cap space left if I'm not mistaken.

Actually less than this... I'm not sure what Day is getting

Ironshaft
03-26-2020, 07:19 PM
Free Cap prior to Day and Rhodes was around $29m.

Rhodes = $5m
Day = Probably no more than $2m
4 more spots on active roster / practice squad / season space = $6m

Probably around $16m left to sign free agents.

$9m savings if we cut JB; $13m savings if we designate him a June 1st cut.

That's about the only guy that I can see on the roster that deliver any real savings over around $2m which does not move the needle much who is not going to be a starter in 2020 (assuming they are healthy).

Chromeburn
03-26-2020, 07:53 PM
Should have drafted him in the first place

nate505
03-26-2020, 10:07 PM
He's a bit over the hill, but a one year deal isn't bad at all. Hopefully he can regain some form, especially if this team has the pass rush I hope it has.

omahacolt
03-27-2020, 11:35 AM
He will probably suck balls

Pez
03-27-2020, 12:38 PM
To be honest, this makes me scratch my head even more over Desir. would it not be better to have Desir and Rhodes vs Desir and Wilson?

They must have some high expectations for Ya-Sin's sophomore season.

Butter
03-27-2020, 03:25 PM
To be honest, this makes me scratch my head even more over Desir. would it not be better to have Desir and Rhodes vs Desir and Wilson?

They must have some high expectations for Ya-Sin's sophomore season.

Probably on the field, but there is around a 7 million cap hit difference.

Brylok
03-27-2020, 08:31 PM
He will probably suck balls

That's what 85% of Vikings fans are saying. At least from what I've read/heard.

Luck4Reich
03-27-2020, 09:09 PM
That's what 85% of Vikings fans are saying. At least from what I've read/heard.

And what 85% of what Lions fans said about Ebron.

Rhodes is signed to a 1 year....its not a bad risk.

Puck
03-28-2020, 09:06 AM
With these moves at CB. It really points to going more M2M. And Rock is also better at M2M IIRC.

Also look at the sizes of all the CB's now. All have long wingspans

Flus has a plan.

On paper this D is starting to look crazy good

Chromeburn
03-28-2020, 10:35 AM
I think we still draft one high.

Luck4Reich
03-29-2020, 09:26 PM
Rhodes talks about reuniting with two of the coaches with the Colts that were with the Vikings during his best years. This defense is more suited for his skillset... I hope so!

https://www.colts.com/news/xavier-rhodes-jonathan-gannon-alan-williams-minnesota-vikings-free-agency

omahacolt
03-29-2020, 10:43 PM
And what 85% of what Lions fans said about Ebron.

Rhodes is signed to a 1 year....its not a bad risk.

Could have kept Desir and let it play out

Luck4Reich
03-29-2020, 10:47 PM
Could have kept Desir and let it play out

I wish they had kept him.

Kray007
03-30-2020, 03:51 PM
As long as Eberflus is the D Coordinator, and we're playing his godawful Tampa 2 D, no one in the defensive backfield is going to look good. He is, literrally, wasting the best years of Malik Hooker's career in a scheme that Rick Venturi says is something out of a Junior High School playbook.

JAFF
03-31-2020, 11:43 AM
As long as Eberflus is the D Coordinator, and we're playing his godawful Tampa 2 D, no one in the defensive backfield is going to look good. He is, literrally, wasting the best years of Malik Hooker's career in a scheme that Rick Venturi says is something out of a Junior High School playbook.

It’s the same defense that allowed other players on this defense mainly our outside weak side linebacker to thrive. Isn’t it the same defense basically that allowed Bob Sanders to look great with his athletic ability or am I mistaken

Dam8610
03-31-2020, 06:27 PM
It’s the same defense that allowed other players on this defense mainly our outside weak side linebacker to thrive. Isn’t it the same defense basically that allowed Bob Sanders to look great with his athletic ability or am I mistaken

The defense the Colts run now is modeled much more after Seattle's "Legion of Boom" defense than it is after Dungy's Tampa 2 scheme. It's cover 3 and cover 1 heavy, which is why they want corners who are better at man and a rangy, athletic, playmaking FS.

YDFL Commish
03-31-2020, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Dam8610;158035]The defense the Colts run now is modeled much more after Seattle's "Legion of Boom" defense than it is after Dungy's Tampa 2 scheme. It's cover 3 and cover 1 heavy, which is why they want corners who are better at man and a rangy, athletic, playmaking FS.[/

On the back end that may be true. But the front 7 assignments remain largely the same.

I think that Eberflus would like to play a variety of looks on the back end, and you really have to do that in today's NFL.

Dam8610
03-31-2020, 07:49 PM
The defense the Colts run now is modeled much more after Seattle's "Legion of Boom" defense than it is after Dungy's Tampa 2 scheme. It's cover 3 and cover 1 heavy, which is why they want corners who are better at man and a rangy, athletic, playmaking FS.

On the back end that may be true. But the front 7 assignments remain largely the same.

I think that Eberflus would like to play a variety of looks on the back end, and you really have to do that in today's NFL.

I don't think a Front 7 is going to be common in the NFL much longer. Nickel is becoming the base set in the NFL. That said, the scheme does seem to look for its DL to be 1 gap penetrators and generate the bulk of the pass rush, with the LBs relied on to clean up anything that gets through as well as being asked to cover well. In those respects, it's similar, but so are some 3-4 schemes, such as Wade Phillips's scheme.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Pelissero is now stating Rhodes' contract is a little less than he earlier reported:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1245680161682489345

The #Colts gave former #Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes a one-year deal with a base value of $3 million, including a $1M signing bonus. No other guarantees, so he'll need to earn it. Another $250K in incentives.

Joel Erickson details it further:

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1245755682885959680

Xavier Rhodes carries a cap hit of just $3.25 million.

Base: $1.5 million
Signing bonus: $1 million
Roster bonus: Per-game, worth up to $500K total
Incentives worth another $250K

In other words, the Colts are taking a flyer on a former All-Pro for almost nothing.

Kray007
04-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Darius Leonard would thrive in any Defense. Ditto, Bob Sanders.

The guys who don't thrive are Corners who line up 10 yards off the Receiver and are reduced to hoping that their guy drops the ball.

omahacolt
04-02-2020, 08:51 PM

We don’t just sit back in a Tampa 2. That is nonsense

Kray007
04-02-2020, 11:21 PM
We don’t just sit back in a Tampa 2. That is nonsense

If you watch any tape from the 2019 season, the one overriding theme you see is that there's no Colt within five yards of the receiver when he makes the catch. They allowed opponents to complete 70% of their passes.

Phillip Rivers completed 86% of his passes vs us.
Matt Ryan racked up 85%
Drew Brees completed a staggering 29 of 30
And, a nonentity like Gardner Minshew achieved a QB rating of 106.2