PDA

View Full Version : colts reach 1 year deal with Rivers

1965southpaw
03-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Per Schefter we reached a 1 year deal with Rivers. Worth 25 million

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-find-new-qb-agree-to-deal-with-longtime-charger-philip-rivers-on-oneyear-deal-195457814.html

Maniac
03-17-2020, 03:57 PM
I hate him, but I hate Brissett starting for us even more.

smitty46953
03-17-2020, 03:59 PM
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
The #Colts get their deal done, agreeing to terms with QB Philip Rivers, source said. He gets roughly $25M. The bolo lands in Indy, while Indy continues its restocking with big pieces on both sides of the ball.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
Former Chargers' QB Philip Rivers and the Colts reached agreement on a 1-year deal, per source.

:cool:

1 year deal, Colts must have something in mind for one of the 2nd round picks. :cool:

Puck
03-17-2020, 03:59 PM
welp . either AL is back next yr or were taking a QB in the draft that means probably trading up to do it Makes no sense

Maniac
03-17-2020, 04:03 PM
welp . either AL is back next yr or were taking a QB in the draft that means probably trading up to do it Makes no sense

Or they just decided to do it one year at a time. Rivers could still sign another one year deal next year, but I'm sure the Colts will be looking for another QB in the draft still.

nate505
I have no big issues with this. Brissett wasn't the answer, and it's only for a year with cap space they have to burn.

Dam8610
Per Schefter we reached a 1 year deal with Rivers. Worth 25 million

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-find-new-qb-agree-to-deal-with-longtime-charger-philip-rivers-on-oneyear-deal-195457814.html

Well here's hoping he doesn't suck. They are making it clear, however, that they have no faith in Brissett, so they'll have to find their QB of the future quickly.

Chaka
One year is surprising. And weird under the circumstances. Kinda like the Funchess signing in a way. I'd like to know who was pushing for the short term contract. Maybe there's an option year.

rcubed
03-17-2020, 04:07 PM
I have no big issues with this. Brissett wasn't the answer, and it's only for a year with cap space they have to burn.
agree

1965southpaw
03-17-2020, 04:07 PM
This feels to me like Irsay's influence vs. Ballard strategy......still, I'm happy it's just one year. We still need to find a long term solution and if we don't find that in this year's draft we can extend Rivers for another year or two while we continue to draft.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-17-2020, 04:08 PM
One year is surprising. And weird under the circumstances. Kinda like the Funchess signing in a way. I'd like to know who was pushing for the short term contract. Maybe there's an option year.

I would guess the two sides couldn't agree on $$$ for a multi-year deal. There were several reports that Rivers per year asking price was higher than what they were expecting. Ballard might have told him - OK, I'll give you that money (maybe a little more) on a one year deal.

rcubed
yeah, I was expecting a 2 year deal.

Racehorse

This just means that hopefully we will only have to cheer for the dude for one year, LOL

rcubed
wonder what happens with brissett now.

Dewey 5
03-17-2020, 04:16 PM

I was thinking the same. Do they try to trade him or release him?

Chromeburn
03-17-2020, 04:20 PM

Brisset probably has to go. I would be surprised if they pay two backups that much money. I also bet this Rivers thing is a year-to-year thing.

We likely draft a QB this year or next year. Later round guys could be Eason, Hurts, Fromm, Gordon. All have warts.

Eason probably has the most raw potential/highest ceiling, but could also bust bigtime. Fromm should be a coach, smart QB, little talent. Hurts I heard was improving a lot this off season and has gotten better. He also has the mental make up and leadership you want in a QB. I've heard him comped to Tyron Taylor.

Gordan is ehh. Fast release, thats about it.

Or maybe we just don't like any guys this year. Trade back into 1st for Love?

Puck
03-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Well here's hoping he doesn't suck. They are making it clear, however, that they have no faith in Brissett, so they'll have to find their QB of the future quickly.

Do you think they actually have confidence in Kelly for the future? He's still on the team for some reason.

Workhorse
03-17-2020, 04:24 PM

No need to release him. They will be able to trade him, if they want to.

Chromeburn
03-17-2020, 04:26 PM
Do you think they actually have confidence in Kelly for the future? He's still on the team for some reason.

Probably not, the guy was a 7th round pick wasn't he. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Future XFL starter.

Puck
03-17-2020, 04:28 PM

Rappaport said they plan to keep him

Puck
03-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Probably not, the guy was a 7th round pick wasn't he. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Future XFL starter.

7th rounder due to off field issues . His college resume is pretty good. Just a mess off field

1965southpaw
03-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Rappaport said they plan to keep him

Christ Mortensen just said the same on ESPN. He said he talked to Ballard and he explicitly said he remains on the roster. Ballard said he never wanted to be caught again like he was with the Luck injury with no good quality in the backup position.

njcoltfan
03-17-2020, 04:38 PM

The Colts just gave Brissett a tremendous kick in the nuts !!!

Chaka
03-17-2020, 04:41 PM
I would guess the two sides couldn't agree on $$$ for a multi-year deal. There were several reports that Rivers per year asking price was higher than what they were expecting. Ballard might have told him - OK, I'll give you that money (maybe a little more) on a one year deal.

Under these circumstances, Rivers loses leverage every year due to age concerns, so I wouldn't think a one year deal is in his best interest. On the other hand, the Colts don't currently have someone waiting in the wings to take over next year, so it doesn't seem like a one-year contract is a good fit for them either. Two years makes sense for both sides. Weird contract if there's no option year.

albany ed
03-17-2020, 04:45 PM
I wonder how high up a package of Brissett and their 2 second rounders could move them in the 1st round? High enough to get Love?

smitty46953
03-17-2020, 04:49 PM
I wonder how high up a package of Brissett and their 2 second rounders could move them in the 1st round? High enough to get Love?

Call the Texans, Bill O'Brian might trade Watson for that haul !!!! :cool:

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-17-2020, 04:53 PM

I'll leave Brissett out of the equation. If you package the 2 second round picks together, the highest you could probably move up is around Pick 21 to 25 in the first round.

After the combine, there were a few teams with "interest" in Love so probably not high enough.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Call the Texans, Bill O'Brian might trade Watson for that haul !!!! :cool:

I don't think it would work out. BO'B would probably want 2 or 3 bad contracts that you could salary dump on the Texans and the Colts can't meet his demands.

smitty46953
03-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Per @MoveTheSticks on NFL Network , Rivers said he fully expects this to be more than a 1 year stay in Indy. Could this be one of Ballard's "prove it" to me deals?

I think need add another WR to go along with TY Hilton, and hopefully Campbell. Resign Funchess or Robbie Anderson I believe is still out there. :cool:

Thorgrim
03-17-2020, 05:20 PM

In this qb starved league I doubt it. I think our best case scenario at this point is Eason. Not sure if he’s the long term answer but give him a year or two under Rivers and we should know. I just don’t know what to make of carrying 3 qbs on the roster.

Thorgrim
03-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Per @MoveTheSticks on NFL Network , Rivers said he fully expects this to be more than a 1 year stay in Indy. Could this be one of Ballard's "prove it" to me deals?

I think need add another WR to go along with TY Hilton, and hopefully Campbell. Resign Funchess or Robbie Anderson I believe is still out there. :cool:

I like the sound of this. If the plan though is to ride Rivers for a few years we need to dip into that deep wr draft pool.

indcolts18288
03-17-2020, 05:35 PM
I guess I’ll go with it. One year was the best I could hope for. It’s not like Ballard mortgaged the future to make this a playoff team again. Show me, Phil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YDFL Commish
03-17-2020, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure if Rivers is the answer. But this and Buckner trade were definitely win now now moves.

I like winning now!

Brylok
03-17-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure if Rivers is the answer. But this and Buckner trade were definitely win now now moves.

I like winning now!

To me it's more of a "do something now or LOS will be half empty" sort of move. At least now it's interesting. Another year of Jacoby would have been a snooze fest. Thirty two games as starting QB was enough to show what he is. Not his fault though. He never should have been in that position to begin with.

Brylok
03-17-2020, 06:05 PM
I have mixed emotions regarding Rivers. I couldn't stand him in the years we'd meet SD in the playoffs and he'd make his baby faces, have little tantrums, and cry to the refs all the time. Remember when he flipped off the fans? After that rivalry ended, I stopped paying attention to him. I saw him a couple of times last year and he looked done out there. But now he's a Colt, back with Reich, and has a much better line in front of him. I have to support him because I want to win games. So despite the past, I'll support him and hope he has a resurgence. It's only year to year as we (hopefully) are developing a young QB. Go Colts!

Beeb
03-17-2020, 06:06 PM
Wow...the information I received and earlier posted was thankfully way off. I must have a career with ESPN in my future!

HoosierinFL
03-17-2020, 06:25 PM
To me this means that Ballard isn’t high on this years qb draft class, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he does not draft anyone. This looks like a situation where Rivers is a 1 or 2 year stopgap until they can find their guy in the draft.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept JB around as a backup, I’d bet he’d agree to it, seems he’s always been that kind of team-first guy,

Ironshaft
03-17-2020, 06:57 PM
From the actions of the last couple of days, I cannot help but think that Bill Polian is smiling right now.

What were the three guys that Bill said you never pass on?

Passer. Check!
Pass Rusher. Check!
Pass Protector. Check!

Rivers, Bruckner and Castonzo.

From my looking at the cap, it appears we have about $17m to spend on free agents.

Cutting Jacoby Brissett saves another $9m but I guess we are not doing that.
Cutting Brian Hoyer saves another $5m.

Cutting anyone else would shock me as we don't have much dead wood so the Colts probably have $22m more to spend on free agents.

Wish List:

- WR
- NT
- O-Line Depth

Get a couple of those guys in the "value" period of free agency and I think we will roll into the draft in really good shape to pick BPA in all rounds.

YDFL Commish
03-17-2020, 07:16 PM
To me this means that Ballard isn’t high on this years qb draft class, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he does not draft anyone. This looks like a situation where Rivers is a 1 or 2 year stopgap until they can find their guy in the draft.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept JB around as a backup, I’d bet he’d agree to it, seems he’s always been that kind of team-first guy,

I disagree totally. When has a rookie QB ever won a SB, let alone a championship?

Ballard realizes that we may be ready now, and doesn't want wait for guys to develop.

I'm predicting that Ballard will draft a a QB within the next 2 seasons who will be our QB of the future. If the cards fall right, that may be this season.

Racehorse
03-17-2020, 07:19 PM
I have mixed emotions regarding Rivers. I couldn't stand him in the years we'd meet SD in the playoffs and he'd make his baby faces, have little tantrums, and cry to the refs all the time. Remember when he flipped off the fans? After that rivalry ended, I stopped paying attention to him. I saw him a couple of times last year and he looked done out there. But now he's a Colt, back with Reich, and has a much better line in front of him. I have to support him because I want to win games. So despite the past, I'll support him and hope he has a resurgence. It's only year to year as we (hopefully) are developing a young QB. Go Colts!

I almost agree 100%

JAFF
03-17-2020, 09:28 PM
I almost agree 100%

So is that somewhere between 96 - 99 %.

indcolts18288
03-17-2020, 09:31 PM
From the actions of the last couple of days, I cannot help but think that Bill Polian is smiling right now.

What were the three guys that Bill said you never pass on?

Passer. Check!
Pass Rusher. Check!
Pass Protector. Check!

Rivers, Bruckner and Castonzo.

From my looking at the cap, it appears we have about $17m to spend on free agents.

Cutting Jacoby Brissett saves another $9m but I guess we are not doing that.
Cutting Brian Hoyer saves another $5m.

Cutting anyone else would shock me as we don't have much dead wood so the Colts probably have $22m more to spend on free agents.

Wish List:

- WR
- NT
- O-Line Depth

Get a couple of those guys in the "value" period of free agency and I think we will roll into the draft in really good shape to pick BPA in all rounds.

Like I said, Ballard is like Polian, but with much bigger balls and an executive strength for finding linebacker talent. Whereas Polian didn’t seem to value that position nearly as much. They’re both masters of the salary cap.

Hoopsdoc
03-17-2020, 09:31 PM
I think Ballard has someone targeted in the draft. That’s the only way a one year deal with Rivers makes sense.

They say they’re keeping Brissett to drive up his price tag. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s traded between now and the draft. I don’t think you can keep him as a backup with an eye for him being a contingency plan for next year, in case Rivers is done. I don’t think Jacoby would go for that.

Ballard has something else in the works I think.

Edit-if they release Hoyer or Kelly in the next few days, I’ll be more inclined to believe they’re actually keeping Brissett.

Chaka
03-18-2020, 01:42 AM
Still a bit surprised by this move, all things considered. This is basically an admission that the Brissett extension last year was a mistake, though i like that Ballard is willing to accept the mistake and move on without being stubborn. Sends a message to everyone that their job is not safe, regardless of how much they're being paid.

Brylok
03-18-2020, 02:39 AM
Still a bit surprised by this move, all things considered. This is basically an admission that the Brissett extension last year was a mistake...

It wasn't a mistake. Their hands were tied because Luck unexpectedly quit right before the season. Luck torpedoed the season. Deep down, everybody knew that Jacoby couldn't replace Luck. Even if they lie and say otherwise...they knew. Most of the people on this board aren't dumb. If we were, we'd be over at dotcom. The Colts brass had to talk JB up and boost his confidence in order to even have a chance. Jacoby, ultimately, failed as was expected. Rivers is at least competent and can throw downfield. Has a quicker release. Luck, who is entirely to blame for last year and this whole situation, took $24M to walk away and quit. At least Phil (who I've always hated) is going to play and try for his salary. I just hope we get a good kid we can train to be a starting QB.

Brylok
03-18-2020, 02:43 AM
I'm not ripping your post or anything, Chaka. Just stating my opinion.

njcoltfan
03-18-2020, 06:34 AM
In this qb starved league I doubt it. I think our best case scenario at this point is Eason. Not sure if he’s the long term answer but give him a year or two under Rivers and we should know. I just don’t know what to make of carrying 3 qbs on the roster.

I think under the new CBA game day rosters will be increased by 2.

smitty46953
03-18-2020, 06:53 AM
I seriously think Ballard has got to try to trade Jacoby Brissett for cap savings. Great team guy, but with Rivers signing I believe Ballard is in a win now mode and could use the $15,875,000 better elsewhere.

I just don't see the Colts carrying his $21,375,000 Cap hit along with Rivers $25,000,000
If he is released or traded Brissett will have following impact:

Released:
Dead Cap: $12,500,000 Cap Savings of $8,875,000

Traded:
Dead Cap: $5,500,000 Cap Savings of $15,875,000

:cool:

Racehorse
03-18-2020, 08:17 AM
So is that somewhere between 96 - 99 %.

Well, most likely.

Racehorse
03-18-2020, 08:19 AM
I don't think it would work out. BO'B would probably want 2 or 3 bad contracts that you could salary dump on the Texans and the Colts can't meet his demands.

Too bad we released TRich years ago.

Chaka
03-18-2020, 10:34 AM
I'm not ripping your post or anything, Chaka. Just stating my opinion.

I understand your viewpoint, but I don’t know that the Brissett extension was consistent with Ballard’s general philosophy that you get the best out of your players through healthy competition and rewarding those who have performed. Up to the point of the extension, the Colts had certainly talked Brissett up a lot, but he hadn’t really proven himself on the field yet. He had a year to go before free agency, and as a third round pick he hadn’t earned the really big $$ yet, so he would have had a natural incentive to max out his performance. By giving him an extension and paying him a lot of money, you reduce that incentive. As far the need to boost his confidence, well, I hope that wasn't the case because if so it should have been a flaming red flag to the Colts.

Now, there’s no question the Luck retirement threw everything into disarray, and forced the Colts to scramble and make decisions they wouldn’t have made otherwise. Signing Brissett to a one-year extension was one of them, and if he had performed well this last season it would have been considered brilliant. Sort of a balance between capping their costs if Brissett plays well vs. limiting their downside if he doesn’t. So going back in time to the Luck retirement, I get the strategy and don’t fault the Colts or Ballard all that much – it was a difficult situation for sure, and at least they didn’t do a long term deal.

I guess my ultimate point is that even though the decision did not turn out as well as the Colts had hoped, I give credit to Ballard to recognize this fact and to be willing to move on even if it paints his decision on the Brissett extension in a bad light. If Brissett is not the guy for the job, then stubbornly forcing the issue would only destroy another season.

Colt Classic
03-18-2020, 10:46 AM
There was no need for the extension. If he outplayed it and wanted 30 mil, let someone else pay it. There are plenty of other stop-gap options.

Chromeburn
03-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Rivers just gives them a better chance over all. He is a better QB and is experienced (even though he is definitely on the decline). Also Rivers knows the offense already. He won’t have to learn anything new, maybe take a refresher. But he will also be able to hit the ground running as opposed to say a Carr. Remember, every thing is shut down. We may be looking at a season with no OTA’s, no mini camp, etc.

Rivers has been a turnover machine, but his line has sucked for years and he is constantly under pressure. He should be able to settle down under our line.

A thing about Jacoby. I think he looked a lot better in camp. The guy they gave that contract to was definetely not the guy we saw in the second half of the season. I think that second half of the season scared the coaching staff and front office. And is why they decided to go the FA vet route, plus Rivers familiarity with the system.

Luck4Reich
03-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Peyton was on a decline the year the Broncos won the Superbowl. Rivers is nowhere near the QB that Peyton was but if he can play good enough when its needed and if Ballard can finish filling the holes around him... why couldn't the Colts win a SB with Rivers?

We know that Ballard isnt finished. Could he be finding a suitor to trade Brissett to
?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/2863610001

Colt Classic
03-18-2020, 01:01 PM
If it’s the Pats, the price should be about two firsts.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Rivers just gives them a better chance over all. He is a better QB and is experienced (even though he is definitely on the decline). Also Rivers knows the offense already. He won’t have to learn anything new, maybe take a refresher. But he will also be able to hit the ground running as opposed to say a Carr. Remember, every thing is shut down. We may be looking at a season with no OTA’s, no mini camp, etc.

It was reported today that Ballard had a Plan B cooking at the same time. The Colts were also discussing a trade for Nick Foles. Checks many of the same boxes as Rivers - familiarity with Reich, knows the offense, etc. Apparently the talks between the Colts and Jacksonville had progressed to the point of discussing draft pick compensation. Shows how much Jacksonville wanted to get rid of Foles contract to be talking with a division rival.

Edit: the Bears just traded for Foles. They are sending Jacksonville a compensatory fourth-round pick. Foles is going to restructure his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/colts-had-talks-with-jaguars-about-nick-foles/

HoosierinFL
03-18-2020, 01:17 PM
I understand your viewpoint, but I don’t know that the Brissett extension was consistent with Ballard’s general philosophy that you get the best out of your players through healthy competition and rewarding those who have performed. Up to the point of the extension, the Colts had certainly talked Brissett up a lot, but he hadn’t really proven himself on the field yet. He had a year to go before free agency, and as a third round pick he hadn’t earned the really big $$ yet, so he would have had a natural incentive to max out his performance. By giving him an extension and paying him a lot of money, you reduce that incentive. As far the need to boost his confidence, well, I hope that wasn't the case because if so it should have been a flaming red flag to the Colts.

Now, there’s no question the Luck retirement threw everything into disarray, and forced the Colts to scramble and make decisions they wouldn’t have made otherwise. Signing Brissett to a one-year extension was one of them, and if he had performed well this last season it would have been considered brilliant. Sort of a balance between capping their costs if Brissett plays well vs. limiting their downside if he doesn’t. So going back in time to the Luck retirement, I get the strategy and don’t fault the Colts or Ballard all that much – it was a difficult situation for sure, and at least they didn’t do a long term deal.

I guess my ultimate point is that even though the decision did not turn out as well as the Colts had hoped, I give credit to Ballard to recognize this fact and to be willing to move on even if it paints his decision on the Brissett extension in a bad light. If Brissett is not the guy for the job, then stubbornly forcing the issue would only destroy another season.

I'm starting to think that they really really believed he was the guy, and that by locking him up for modest money now, it would become a genius move to have a franchise QB at that price. But it wasn't a genius move. Its Ok, you win some, you lose some.

Brylok
03-18-2020, 03:44 PM
I'm starting to think that they really really believed he was the guy, and that by locking him up for modest money now, it would become a genius move to have a franchise QB at that price. But it wasn't a genius move. Its Ok, you win some, you lose some.

Yeah, when I said that deep down everybody knew that JB couldn't replace Luck, I should have said 'everybody on this forum'. It's possible Ballard and Reich thought he could.

rcubed
03-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Yeah, when I said that deep down everybody knew that JB couldn't replace Luck, I should have said 'everybody on this forum'. It's possible Ballard and Reich thought he could.
i dont believe ballard/reich ever thought he could replace luck. i do believe they thought he would make a bigger leap than he did.

Chaka
03-18-2020, 04:10 PM

They certainly believed in him enough to pay him another $20 million or so in guaranteed money for an extra season, when he was only scheduled to make about $2 million otherwise, so I think you're right. If Jacoby had played well, then as you said Ballard would have been hailed as a genius, not only for the contract, but also for managing to pluck Brissett from New England in the first place.

Brylok
03-18-2020, 05:25 PM
They certainly believed in him enough to pay him another $20 million or so in guaranteed money for an extra season, when he was only scheduled to make about $2 million otherwise, so I think you're right. If Jacoby had played well, then as you said Ballard would have been hailed as a genius, not only for the contract, but also for managing to pluck Brissett from New England in the first place.

They did him a solid by paying him _almost_ starting QB money. He's also taken a lot of heat and has gotten on the wrong side of the fanbase to the point the majority want him gone. He's earned his money. I'm not concerned about Irsay's money. He gave Luck $24 million for absolutely nothing when he quit. At least Jacoby tried. Luck didn't.

Crush22
03-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Ballard said he never wanted to be caught again like he was with the Luck injury with no good quality in the backup position.
Wouldn't they still be there if they keep him?
:confused:

1965southpaw
03-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't they still be there if they keep him?
:confused:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question......in my defense, I'm down with the flu and not thinking clearly. :p

rcubed
03-20-2020, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question......in my defense, I'm down with the flu and not thinking clearly. :p

Covid-19 alert!!!

1965southpaw
03-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Covid-19 alert!!!

lol, while I certainly can't rule it out (can't get tested cause I'm too young and too healthy :cool:)......I have been tested for flu and definitively have that. My fever has been so high (topped out at 104) that my brain has literally felt like it was boiling in my skull. I request special dispensation for posting anything that doesn't make sense. :p

Luck4Reich
03-20-2020, 04:26 PM
lol, while I certainly can't rule it out (can't get tested cause I'm too young and too healthy :cool:)......I have been tested for flu and definitively have that. My fever has been so high (topped out at 104) that my brain has literally felt like it was boiling in my skull. I request special dispensation for posting anything that doesn't make sense. :p

Get well soon!

smitty46953
03-20-2020, 04:35 PM

Get well and take care of yourself !!! :cool:

1965southpaw
03-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Get well and take care of yourself !!! :cool:

Thanks Smitty! CAn you delete my Ebron thread? I don't know how/or if I can. It seems it's a duplicate.

rcubed
03-20-2020, 10:52 PM

Yuck! Hope you get better soon! I had a 104 temp last year, i was delirious and felt like i was going to die.