PDA

View Full Version : Who would you draft?

Chromeburn
02-24-2020, 04:42 PM
So assuming the top options at our need positions are gone (DT and WR: Brown/Kinlaw/Lamb/Jeudy, also Simmons and top three QBs are gone). Can’t trade down. Who do you draft and why? Oh and Castonzo is returning.

I think I might go Henry Ruggs. He is about to blowup at the combine and run a 4.2 40. He dropped one pass last year. And I think he might have been overshadowed by Jeudy a little. After the combine I bet they will start talking about the top WR taken being a three man race.

njcoltfan
02-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Jordan Love, the Colts need a long time solution at QB and I think that’s Love.

rm1369
02-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Love if the team and scouts are sold on him (I’m not but I’m not a scout). Otherwise the highest rated OT on my board. I’d love to see Braden Smith slide inside while a future replacement for AC starts at RT. I don’t like going WR at 13 - even if Jeudy or Lamb are still there. The draft is pretty deep at WR and they should be able to get good value at WR in the 2nd. Espenesa is another option if he’s there, but I’d be a little surprised if he is.

apballin
02-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Bpa

YDFL Commish
02-24-2020, 07:58 PM

At 13? You are fuckin' carzy!

YDFL Commish
02-24-2020, 08:04 PM
Maybe Chaisson or Epenesa or OT Wills. Whether or not Castonzo is coming back or not we still need to build the future and the depth of the OL.

Luck4Reich
02-24-2020, 08:24 PM
I really want Kinlaw but he probably doesn't make it past the Jagoffs..

smitty46953
02-24-2020, 08:39 PM

Could not have said it better !!! :cool:

Chromeburn
02-24-2020, 09:25 PM
I really want Kinlaw but he probably doesn't make it past the Jagoffs..

They are not extending Marcel Darius.

Dewey 5
02-24-2020, 09:42 PM

I must be nuts as well because I'm all about Love

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
02-24-2020, 09:54 PM
They are not extending Marcel Darius.

They are the Jags, though

Dam8610
02-25-2020, 12:37 AM
BPA is the best option. I don't want to risk the future of the franchise on a QB in this draft being "the guy" unless it's Burrow.

Racehorse
02-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Yeah, probably need to trade up if we want him.

Chromeburn
02-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Here is a mock for you guys that should help. And yeah Young and Okudah are not there either. Basically no one slips to us. Try to pick a name. I Also read one article that said Epenesa was overvalued by the media and will not go as high as they say. true or not [shrug].

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/18/nfl-mock-draft-2020-joe-burrow-bengals-justin-herbert-chargers

rm1369
02-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Here is a mock for you guys that should help. And yeah Young and Okudah are not there either. Basically no one slips to us. Try to pick a name. I Also read one article that said Epenesa was overvalued by the media and will not go as high as they say. true or not [shrug].

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/18/nfl-mock-draft-2020-joe-burrow-bengals-justin-herbert-chargers

Off that mock - Andrew Thomas. That’s assuming I can’t have Kinlaw as originally stated.

smitty46953
02-25-2020, 11:32 AM

With that draft am just fine with Kinlaw :cool:

Butter
02-25-2020, 12:37 PM
With that draft am just fine with Kinlaw :cool:

A dominate interior DL, yes, please. If he is what they say he could transform the D.

Ironshaft
02-25-2020, 12:45 PM
A dominate interior DL, yes, please. If he is what they say he could transform the D.
My hope is that we fill that need with one or two veteran free agents. The free agency pool is DEEP with young, talented DTs.

As for the original question, if Kinlaw is off the table (my personal fav even if we sign 2x FA DTs), then I want the best OT Colts management have rated.

If Haeg's agent is smart at all, he is going to go test the market and I am betting that someone throws low end starter money at him to see if he can start for 16 games a season.

If that is so, even with AC returning, we are now 1 injury away from our O-line being a strength to being a weakness. You can find a quality rookie OG for depth in the 4th or 5th round. You cannot find a quality rookie OT down there typically.

Even if AC returns for 2020, this might become an annual thing. I want an OT early to groom to take over at LT but as depth in case of injury. Keep the superior O-Line train rolling.

coltsballs
02-25-2020, 02:53 PM
So assuming the top options at our need positions are gone (DT and WR: Brown/Kinlaw/Lamb/Jeudy, also Simmons and top three QBs are gone). Can’t trade down. Who do you draft and why? Oh and Castonzo is returning.

I think I might go Henry Ruggs. He is about to blowup at the combine and run a 4.2 40. He dropped one pass last year. And I think he might have been overshadowed by Jeudy a little. After the combine I bet they will start talking about the top WR taken being a three man race.

select the best available then go wr in 2nd round then qb if need fits

Puck
02-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Kinlaw is there, so not sure how you are saying no one slips to us. I want Kinlaw. If he is not there then I would go Henry Ruggs, but I damn sure wouldnt draft Love

Luck4Reich
02-25-2020, 08:10 PM
I saw where some retard had us trading up to 11 to take Love.... I thought taking him at 13 is stupid why the fuck would you trade up more to take him? No thanks!

smitty46953
02-25-2020, 08:19 PM

I hope I am wrong if that happens, but to me;

Jordan Love = Marcus Marriota :eek:

Chromeburn
02-25-2020, 09:49 PM
Kinlaw is there, so not sure how you are saying no one slips to us. I want Kinlaw. If he is not there then I would go Henry Ruggs, but I damn sure wouldnt draft Love

It’s a hypothetical scenario. The mock is just for people to see other players available around the pick besides the ones constantly talked about on here. I would like Kinlaw too, Jeudy is 1B for me. But I don’t know if either is there when we pick.

But even if Kinlaw is gone there are still other DTs we could take later. Gallimore, Blacklock, Jordan Elliot, Marlon Davidson, Jason Strowbridge. I think all could play 3-tech effectively in our D.

nate505
02-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Without having a full list of who's available, If probably pick the best rated tackle left. Might as well get the OL to super elite status and go from there.

Racehorse
02-26-2020, 06:32 PM
Looking at who the top ten players are, No matter which order they are in, we will get a quality player to fall to us when the inevitable run on a position moves someone ahead of a good player. Happens every year.

Puck
02-26-2020, 07:25 PM
HYPOTHETICAL

Burrows goes #1

Colts end up with the 2nd pick via trade of the 13, 34 and 44 . Again Hypothetical!

Who do you take with pick 2?

Chromeburn
02-26-2020, 07:46 PM
HYPOTHETICAL

Burrows goes #1

Colts end up with the 2nd pick via trade of the 13, 34 and 44 . Again Hypothetical!

Chase Young

Spike
02-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Chase Young

Absolutely, Chase Young.

smitty46953
02-27-2020, 12:48 AM
HYPOTHETICAL

Burrows goes #1

Tua Tagovailoa :cool:

Puck
02-27-2020, 12:57 AM
Tua Tagovailoa :cool:

Ok . But you would pass up the best defensive player in probably 3 yrs for a QB that may or not be injured?

Not disagreeing with any choice. Young/Tua

Just asking for reasoning

Puck
02-27-2020, 01:00 AM
Was listening to Casserly today saying Young is better than_______ . basically anyone of the top defenders in the draft in basically the 2000's

Gotta say he might be right

smitty46953
02-27-2020, 01:09 AM
Ok . But you would pass up the best defensive player in probably 3 yrs for a QB that may or not be injured?

Yes, based on Burrow going 1.01 and a chance to get who would still be the top rated QB in this years draft if not for injury. I would go Tua, his medical reports at combine have been excellent and could be our franchise QB for years. Even if he sits behind Brissett/Rivers/? for a year. Would love to have Young but in my opinion a franchise QB is a must in this league. If don't go with Tua be in same position in a year or two looking for a QB while our roster ages. Spend money on the D in free agency. Just my thoughts :cool:

Hoopsdoc
02-27-2020, 09:23 AM

Always take the quarterback if you don’t have one. You can win Super Bowls without a great defensive end but not without a great quarterback.

Luck4Reich
02-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Always take the quarterback if you don’t have one. You can win Super Bowls without a great defensive end but not without a great quarterback.

Only problem with that statement is that Joe Flacco.. Brad Johnson... Trent Dilfer... Nick Foles.. Jeff Hostetler to name a few have won SB and I doubt anyone would call these guys a Great QB.

That said I hope we find our next great QB soon.:cool:

rm1369
02-27-2020, 10:26 AM

For the most part I’d agree - as long as you have an extremely high confidence in their abilities as a franchise guy. I don’t think that you take “the best” QB available over the can’t miss DE though. I have enough question marks about Tua (especially health) and Hebert that I’d lean towards Young if given the choice between them. If it was Luck or PM level QB prospect then I absolutely agree.

Luck4Reich
02-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Chase Young on our Defense is exciting to think about.

CanuckColt
02-27-2020, 12:33 PM

Nonsense!

Dam8610
02-27-2020, 12:48 PM
HYPOTHETICAL

Burrows goes #1

Unless they sign Bridgewater and Ballard expresses that he believes in Bridgewater as a franchise QB, I'd have to go with Tua. Chase Young is tempting, but a franchise QB is the most important piece.

Chromeburn
02-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Only problem with that statement is that Joe Flacco.. Brad Johnson... Trent Dilfer... Nick Foles.. Jeff Hostetler to name a few have won SB and I doubt anyone would call these guys a Great QB.

That said I hope we find our next great QB soon.:cool:

True those guys are outliers. But Flacco, Foles played at a championship level and raised their game. Dilfer and Johnson had HOF defenses and were very solid in those years. Giants had Lawrence Taylor, got hot at the right time and was pretty lucky as well. So I don't think any of those guys dispprove what he said.

High level QB play compensates for a lot of flaws. I just don't know who the best QB will be out of this group. Glad I don't have to decide. But I do think Chase Young can be a Von Miller type player. Young is certainly the safe choice.

Puck
02-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Unless they sign Bridgewater and Ballard expresses that he believes in Bridgewater as a franchise QB, I'd have to go with Tua. Chase Young is tempting, but a franchise QB is the most important piece.

I still don't get the love for Bridgewater. I'd take Jalen Hurts in the 2nd or 3rd before I would sign Bridgewater, and he will be better.

Luck4Reich
02-27-2020, 04:23 PM
True those guys are outliers. But Flacco, Foles played at a championship level and raised their game. Dilfer and Johnson had HOF defenses and were very solid in those years. Giants had Lawrence Taylor, got hot at the right time and was pretty lucky as well. So I don't think any of those guys dispprove what he said.

High level QB play compensates for a lot of flaws. I just don't know who the best QB will be out of this group. Glad I don't have to decide. But I do think Chase Young can be a Von Miller type player. Young is certainly the safe choice.

I was just pointing out where he said you cant win a championship without a great QB. Nothing else lol

I'm glad I dont have to decide either... We will probably look back 10-15 years from now after Fromm or Eason wins 3 SBs and say wtf!

Never know makes it interesting for sure.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
02-27-2020, 05:22 PM

The curse of Mike Doss (http://coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140772&highlight=doss#post140772)

Chromeburn
02-27-2020, 06:55 PM
I was just pointing out where he said you cant win a championship without a great QB. Nothing else lol

I'm glad I dont have to decide either... We will probably look back 10-15 years from now after Fromm or Eason wins 3 SBs and say wtf!

Never know makes it interesting for sure.

Its a crap shoot, but in a couple years everyone goes "Of course that guy was going to be great! Couldn't you tell?!?" Like some do with Mahomes. Bucky Brooks compared Mahomes to Jay Cutler around this time. lol

Chromeburn
02-27-2020, 06:59 PM
The curse of Mike Doss (http://coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140772&highlight=doss#post140772)

Omaha must love that take

Luck4Reich
02-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Its a crap shoot, but in a couple years everyone goes "Of course that guy was going to be great! Couldn't you tell?!?" Like some do with Mahomes. Bucky Brooks compared Mahomes to Jay Cutler around this time. lol

You're 100% correct

Dam8610
02-28-2020, 12:24 AM

Cutler was always underrated and was definitely the best QB of the 2006 draft class. When he actually had a semblance of a team put around him, he took it to a conference championship game.

Chromeburn
02-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Cutler was always underrated and was definitely the best QB of the 2006 draft class. When he actually had a semblance of a team put around him, he took it to a conference championship game.

Cutler had his moments, but he is a far cry from who Mahomes is now. If Mahomes stays on his present course he might be one of the best to play the game.

rcubed
02-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Trade a 2nd + something for Carr
Draft Kinlaw 13th
Take best WR or OT with other 2nd

Dam8610
02-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Cutler had his moments, but he is a far cry from who Mahomes is now. If Mahomes stays on his present course he might be one of the best to play the game.

I certainly wasn't saying Cutler was on the level that Mahomes is on now, but I don't understand why he was/is so maligned. He was a good QB.

Chromeburn
02-28-2020, 07:45 PM
I certainly wasn't saying Cutler was on the level that Mahomes is on now, but I don't understand why he was/is so maligned. He was a good QB.

I think he was over hyped early and couldn't live up to it. It's hard to play QB in Denver under Elway's shadow.

YDFL Commish
02-28-2020, 09:07 PM

No he wasnt. He was basically Jeff George 2.0.

Dam8610
03-21-2020, 08:18 PM
Since the 13th pick was traded, who do we want at 34? I'm hoping Grant Delpit is there because he reminds me quite a bit of Derwin James, and I think he could have a similar impact. That said, I would mind an Ezra Cleveland or Laviska Shenault, there, either.

YDFL Commish
03-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Since the 13th pick was traded, who do we want at 34? I'm hoping Grant Delpit is there because he reminds me quite a bit of Derwin James, and I think he could have a similar impact. That said, I would mind an Ezra Cleveland or Laviska Shenault, there, either.

I prefer Aiyuk over Shenault due to Shenault's injury history.

Luck4Reich
03-22-2020, 10:55 AM

I like Aiyuk too and he will make an impact right away I believe.

Chromeburn
03-22-2020, 10:59 AM
I like Denzel Mims. Not sure if he will be there though. Fits Ballard’s draft profile.

I’d also like a guy who can run routes and isn’t a three year project. Van Jefferson is a solid receiver. Duvernay has great hands, speed, and toughness. That Ohi State receiver is a route running master, not the fastest though. He tore up the senior bowl.

Luck4Reich
03-22-2020, 11:21 AM
I see some mock drafts saying WR T. Higgins.

I dont know much about him... any thoughts?

Thorgrim
03-22-2020, 12:59 PM

If he’s available at #34 I like the pick. He’s got speed and I value the height mismatches he creates.

Dam8610
03-22-2020, 01:31 PM

I only picked Shenault because he's one of the more likely WRs to be there, though honestly with the WR depth in this draft, I wouldn't be upset or surprised if 34 and 44 went to OT and QB, with 75 being used on a WR, provided a special talent at a different position doesn't fall to 34, of course. With how deep this class is, a guy like Duvernay or Hill could still be there at 75.

Tee Higgins would be a good get. He has the speed to take the top off of defenses, the size to go up and win 50/50 balls, and is a decent route runner.

Chromeburn
03-22-2020, 01:37 PM

So Higgins didn’t test well at the combine. He had a slight hamstring injury and the scouts talked him into testing anyway. He probably should not have done that. So I think he is a better athlete than his test numbers show.

The knock on him is he doesn’t generate a lot of separation and he gets a lot of contested balls thrown his way. He is currently training with Houshmanzadah, like a number of WRs and Joe Burrow. Word is he looks great there and Housh called him a taller AJ Green. Is that just hype, or is he undervalued in a deep class?

Puck
03-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Don't know who he is, but assume CB If so, I agree that CB will be high on the wish list

smitty46953
03-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Grant Delpit plays Safety. Delpit has all the tools, but is a poor tackler IMO. I would be ok with re-signing Geathers to go along with Hooker and Willis then find a CB in 3rd round.

If Shenault is there at #34 I grab him and then QB Jalen Hurts with our next pick. Let Hurts sit behind Rivers a year or two and step in.

:cool:

Thorgrim
03-22-2020, 05:33 PM
So Higgins didn’t test well at the combine. He had a slight hamstring injury and the scouts talked him into testing anyway. He probably should not have done that. So I think he is a better athlete than his test numbers show.

The knock on him is he doesn’t generate a lot of separation and he gets a lot of contested balls thrown his way. He is currently training with Houshmanzadah, like a number of WRs and Joe Burrow. Word is he looks great there and Housh called him a taller AJ Green. Is that just hype, or is he undervalued in a deep class?

Here in Tiger country he has many fans for obvious reasons including productivity, physicality, and speed. Two traits that those who follow him closely that might appeal to Reich is 1. the kid is supposedly high character and 2. he stays invested in every play as an excellent downfield blocker.

ZionsvilleColtsFan
03-23-2020, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see Indy take Jalen Hurts. Lots of upside potential and he could learn from Rivers and Brissett.

smitty46953
03-23-2020, 10:31 PM
I'd like to see Indy take Jalen Hurts. Lots of upside potential and he could learn from Rivers and Brissett.

Same here :cool:

Dam8610
03-24-2020, 02:08 AM

Same here :cool:

The only way I'd want the Colts to take Hurts is if they planned to create a Taysom Hill role for him. He doesn't have the accuracy to be a long term starting QB.

YDFL Commish
03-24-2020, 08:21 AM
The only way I'd want the Colts to take Hurts is if they planned to create a Taysom Hill role for him. He doesn't have the accuracy to be a long term starting QB.

They said the same about Lamar Jackson.

Ironshaft
03-24-2020, 09:07 AM

The question is when we would have to take him.

If it is with #34 or #44, then I don't know that I am interested. Lots of good WR, TE or CB choices at those spots who have the ability to start immediately.

However, if we can get him with our 3rd round choice, then I am all for it.

I am hoping for OT and NT choices in the 4th/5th rounds. We need O-Line depth and a NT to rotate with Stewart.

But a developmental QB in the 3rd? Yeah, I could be good with that.

rcubed
03-24-2020, 10:51 AM
The question is when we would have to take him.

If it is with #34 or #44, then I don't know that I am interested. Lots of good WR, TE or CB choices at those spots who have the ability to start immediately.

However, if we can get him with our 3rd round choice, then I am all for it.

I am hoping for OT and NT choices in the 4th/5th rounds. We need O-Line depth and a NT to rotate with Stewart.

But a developmental QB in the 3rd? Yeah, I could be good with that.
I wonder how many "developmental QBs" actually develop.

Racehorse
03-24-2020, 10:57 AM
I wonder how many "developmental QBs" actually develop.

I think Morgan of FIU will develop nicely. I hope we get him.

Chromeburn
03-24-2020, 11:29 AM

A name to keep in mind draft day is James Morgan of Florida Int. Supposedly several teams are interested including us. We have been vetting him. So likely a later round pick spent on a QB.

My worry is we will end up like the Vikings the last couple years. Squad good enough to win the super bowl, can’t find a QB to lead them there.

Colt Classic
03-24-2020, 12:54 PM
A name to keep in mind draft day is James Morgan of Florida Int. Supposedly several teams are interested including us. We have been vetting him. So likely a later round pick spent on a QB.

My worry is we will end up like the Vikings the last couple years. Squad good enough to win the super bowl, can’t find a QB to lead them there.

The Colts have their version of Favre!

Puck
03-24-2020, 03:43 PM

Nah. They wont draft a QB this yr. Other than Burrow or Tua the rest are just players taking up a roster space. How many of the others are actually more talented than Kelly? JB is here for this yr . they will look next yr.

I like Jaime Newman in next yrs draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiaX2wEHq0g

smitty46953
03-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Personally I think at #34 we need to add a top WR (Laviska Shenault or Brandon Aiyuk) either would be fine, just need bolster our receiving corps. Brissett aside, after T.Y. Hilton the cupboard is bare other than Campbell who we hope develops and can stay on the field.

Then at #44 I like Jalen Hurts if available to develop as our QB of the future. I personally like him much better than Jordan Love.

Jalen Hurts (6’1/222) QB Oklahoma
Hurts was always a good athlete at Alabama, but his improvement as a passer since transferring to Oklahoma is what has teams impressed. His sense of timing and anticipation has gotten a lot better. He exhibits very good lateral agility both in the pocket and in the open field. Last season under head coach Lincoln Riley, Hurts’ passing motion, comfortability, and efficiency took a massive leap. He led the nation in YPA (11.5) His accuracy is entirely underrated. Hurts has good velocity behind his throws and can fit his passes into tight windows. Throwing on the run is another asset in his game, as his athleticism and accuracy make him a tough quarterback to defend when he rolls out or scrambles. However, he must continue to improve his processing and willingness to stay inside the pocket. He is only 21 years old and is by all accounts very coachable. Hurts is also a very valuable runner; he ran for 1,298 yards on 233 attempts for an average of 5.57 yards per carry for 20 total TD’s. He has great breakaway speed for the quarterback position. He led college football, including running backs, in red zone rushing touchdowns (17) last season. He does need to be more consistent in terms of identifying the check down option and going through his progressions. Don’t sell Hurts short, he has starting-level upside with a little coaching and development.

(2019 Stats)
Games: 14
Attempts: 340
Completions: 237
Completion Percentage: 69.7
Yards: 3851
Yards/Attempt: 11.3
Touchdowns: 32
Interceptions: 8
QB Rating: 191.20
Rush Attempts: 233
Yards Rushing: 1,298
Yards per Attempt: 5.57
Rushing Touchdowns: 20

Puck
03-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Personally I think at #34 we need to add a top WR (Laviska Shenault or Brandon Aiyuk) either would be fine, just need bolster our receiving corps. Brissett aside, after T.Y. Hilton the cupboard is bare other than Campbell who we hope develops and can stay on the field.

Then at #44 I like Jalen Hurts if available to develop as our QB of the future. I personally like him much better than Jordan Love.

Jalen Hurts (6’1/222) QB Oklahoma
Hurts was always a good athlete at Alabama, but his improvement as a passer since transferring to Oklahoma is what has teams impressed. His sense of timing and anticipation has gotten a lot better. He exhibits very good lateral agility both in the pocket and in the open field. Last season under head coach Lincoln Riley, Hurts’ passing motion, comfortability, and efficiency took a massive leap. He led the nation in YPA (11.5) His accuracy is entirely underrated. Hurts has good velocity behind his throws and can fit his passes into tight windows. Throwing on the run is another asset in his game, as his athleticism and accuracy make him a tough quarterback to defend when he rolls out or scrambles. However, he must continue to improve his processing and willingness to stay inside the pocket. He is only 21 years old and is by all accounts very coachable. Hurts is also a very valuable runner; he ran for 1,298 yards on 233 attempts for an average of 5.57 yards per carry for 20 total TD’s. He has great breakaway speed for the quarterback position. He led college football, including running backs, in red zone rushing touchdowns (17) last season. He does need to be more consistent in terms of identifying the check down option and going through his progressions. Don’t sell Hurts short, he has starting-level upside with a little coaching and development.

(2019 Stats)
Games: 14
Attempts: 340
Completions: 237
Completion Percentage: 69.7
Yards: 3851
Yards/Attempt: 11.3
Touchdowns: 32
Interceptions: 8
QB Rating: 191.20
Rush Attempts: 233
Yards Rushing: 1,298
Yards per Attempt: 5.57
Rushing Touchdowns: 20

I think they could get him in the 3-4 if they wanted him. Despite all the hype from the talking heads I don't think this is a very good draft class after the top 2.

I agree on WR though. And now CB might move ahead of WR just because the WR class is so deep and there has been a few FA WR signed to drive even more picks down the board

Dam8610
03-24-2020, 06:29 PM
They said the same about Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson was viewed as a first round QB even with all his flaws at the time. No one thinks Jalen Hurts is a first round QB.

YDFL Commish
03-24-2020, 06:44 PM
Lamar Jackson was viewed as a first round QB even with all his flaws at the time. No one thinks Jalen Hurts is a first round QB.

He isn't. Late 2nd early 3rd is where I peg him.

Puck
03-24-2020, 06:57 PM

there are idiots who do

Dam8610
03-24-2020, 07:47 PM
He isn't. Late 2nd early 3rd is where I peg him.

Right, but it's not like a Russell Wilson situation where there's a height issue or something like that, it's the concerns with accuracy. Watch his tape vs. LSU. That's what he'd look like as a starter against NFL defenses.

YDFL Commish
03-24-2020, 08:00 PM
Right, but it's not like a Russell Wilson situation where there's a height issue or something like that, it's the concerns with accuracy. Watch his tape vs. LSU. That's what he'd look like as a starter against NFL defenses.

I'm an OU fan dude. I could see that Burrow was the superior QB. When you are drafting a QB in the late 2nd early 3rd, you know that you have to develop them.

I think that Hurts has the same issues as Brissett, but is so much more gifted athletically that he's worth the risk.

Dam8610
03-24-2020, 09:08 PM
I'm an OU fan dude. I could see that Burrow was the superior QB. When you are drafting a QB in the late 2nd early 3rd, you know that you have to develop them.

I think that Hurts has the same issues as Brissett, but is so much more gifted athletically that he's worth the risk.

Burrow didn't play on LSU's defense. Hurts was 3/12 with 1 or 2 INTs in that game prior to garbage time.

Chromeburn
03-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Nah. They wont draft a QB this yr. Other than Burrow or Tua the rest are just players taking up a roster space. How many of the others are actually more talented than Kelly? JB is here for this yr . they will look next yr.

I like Jaime Newman in next yrs draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiaX2wEHq0g

Newman might end up being a top ten pick. He was already on teams radars and the QB coach at Georgia is a good one and well thought of. He has a good season we will likely have to trade up for him the same as Lawrence and Fields.

Racehorse
03-25-2020, 06:55 PM

I think the guy will be a quality starter in the league. Hope we get him.

Dam8610
03-26-2020, 10:16 PM

I just watched him and I see why the Colts would be interested. Give the kid a clean pocket (or even relatively clean) and he's got the arm for any throw. He needs some of the gunslinger mentality coached out of him, but he's got a cannon and he knows how to put touch on a throw as well. It's not often you see a small school guy like that dropping 40+ yard fades over the receiver's shoulder on the sideline. He did it with regularity and ease.

Colt Classic
03-27-2020, 08:20 AM
I just watched him and I see why the Colts would be interested. Give the kid a clean pocket (or even relatively clean) and he's got the arm for any throw. He needs some of the gunslinger mentality coached out of him, but he's got a cannon and he knows how to put touch on a throw as well. It's not often you see a small school guy like that dropping 40+ yard fades over the receiver's shoulder on the sideline. He did it with regularity and ease.

I watched the highlights against Miami. What's the story on his receiver #16? I'd take both of them.

Chromeburn
03-27-2020, 11:46 AM

There is some potential there. Goes through his progressions fast. Moves within the pocket. Finds his outlet. Height and arm seem big enough. He must have interviewed well to be popping up on teams radar. I like a little gunslinger. Need that bravado to push and win games. I don’t want Brett Farve who can’t tell the difference between nickle and dime. But have to play with no fear. I’d like to see more. I think accuracy is the most important trait, if he measures up I would take a flyer on him.

Chromeburn
03-27-2020, 11:51 AM
I watched the highlights against Miami. What's the story on his receiver #16? I'd take both of them.

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1017593&DraftYear=2020

Dad was a journeyman wr in the league. Doubt he will get drafted in this class.

Luck4Reich
03-27-2020, 12:42 PM

Tony Gaiter. Reminds me a bit of Terrence Wilkins. What I like about him is it looks like he stepped up a lot against tougher competition. He had big games vs Miami, Marshall and Umass I believe.

He will probably go undrafted? The WR draft class is just so plentiful. I wouldnt mind if we grabbed him as a UDFA.

Colt Classic
03-27-2020, 01:05 PM
He was running hard in the Miami highlights. It’s not a bad idea to take a flier on the QB’s go-to guy in last year’s bigger games for them.

Dam8610
03-27-2020, 01:06 PM

I'd grab him as a UDFA.

There is some potential there. Goes through his progressions fast. Moves within the pocket. Finds his outlet. Height and arm seem big enough. He must have interviewed well to be popping up on teams radar. I like a little gunslinger. Need that bravado to push and win games. I don’t want Brett Farve who can’t tell the difference between nickle and dime. But have to play with no fear. I’d like to see more. I think accuracy is the most important trait, if he measures up I would take a flyer on him.

I said coach a little of the gunslinger mentality out of him, not entirely get rid of it. He plays hero ball too much, and that happens when you're down late or down big, but you wouldn't want him to do those things in the NFL.

Tony Gaiter. Reminds me a bit of Terrence Wilkins. What I like about him is it looks like he stepped up a lot against tougher competition. He had big games vs Miami, Marshall and Umass I believe.

He will probably go undrafted? The WR draft class is just so plentiful. I wouldnt mind if we grabbed him as a UDFA.

Couldn't agree more.

Chromeburn
04-01-2020, 11:11 AM

Stampede blue does an interview with Morgan.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/4/1/21201678/colts-prospect-interviews-james-morgan-qb-florida-international

What I didn't realize is that our QB coach was running the offense at the east-west shrine game and Morgan was working with him that week. Interesting connection.

Racehorse
04-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Stampede blue does an interview with Morgan.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/4/1/21201678/colts-prospect-interviews-james-morgan-qb-florida-international

What I didn't realize is that our QB coach was running the offense at the east-west shrine game and Morgan was working with him that week. Interesting connection.

I will say it again. I hope this guy ends up wearing the horseshoe.

Dam8610
04-01-2020, 02:30 PM
Brett Kollman did a video breakdown (https://youtu.be/xO9KlH09PC4) of Clyde Edwards-Helaire. This is a guy who may be available at 75, and would be a steal if he's still there.

Chromeburn
04-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Brett Kollman did a video breakdown (https://youtu.be/xO9KlH09PC4) of Clyde Edwards-Helaire. This is a guy who may be available at 75, and would be a steal if he's still there.

I love Edwards Hilare. Burrow called him the best player on the team. That team is all 5 star talents.

Dam8610
04-02-2020, 06:22 PM
I love Edwards Hilare. Burrow called him the best player on the team. That team is all 5 star talents.

IMO the Colts don't need a RB, but Edwards-Helaire stands out on the film in every game. If he's there at 75, he's hands down BPA and not taking him would be stupid. That said, I'd also be happy with the oft mocked scenario of Tee Higgins at 34, Jacob Eason at 44, and Hunter Bryant at 75.

ukcolt
04-05-2020, 08:14 AM
There are 2 University of Washington linemen who are expected to be drafted this year who are both fairly well regarded, Tackle Trey Adams, and C/G Nick Harris i would be very surprised if we were not seriously looking at both of these prospects with the history of our offensive line coach Chris Strausser. Looks like they are both likely to be 3rd or 4th round picks. Adams was a highly rated left tackle prospect during his freshman season but has suffered several serious injuries. But he didn't miss any games his senior year and could be a really nice mid round pick up.

Dam8610
04-05-2020, 03:02 PM
There are 2 University of Washington linemen who are expected to be drafted this year who are both fairly well regarded, Tackle Trey Adams, and C/G Nick Harris i would be very surprised if we were not seriously looking at both of these prospects with the history of our offensive line coach Chris Strausser. Looks like they are both likely to be 3rd or 4th round picks. Adams was a highly rated left tackle prospect during his freshman season but has suffered several serious injuries. But he didn't miss any games his senior year and could be a really nice mid round pick up.

Adams is developmental and I wouldn't want him before Round 4. I'd much rather have Ezra Cleveland or Robert Hunt.

Racehorse
04-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Adams is developmental and I wouldn't want him before Round 4. I'd much rather have Ezra Cleveland or Robert Hunt.

He said "mid round, which would be 4. seven rounds. Three before 4. Three after.

smitty46953
04-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Now official: NFL now has informed teams it will do a virtual draft this year. GMs and HCs now will be drafting from their homes.

nate505
04-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Schefter had a good idea. They should make the draft a 7 day event per round. It would give teams more time to draft, and it would make each day an event. Usually that would be torture, but in these times it would at least be something. Or even making it Round 1, Rounds 2/3, Rounds 4/5, Rounds 6/7 across four days.

Puck
04-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Schefter had a good idea. They should make the draft a 7 day event per round. It would give teams more time to draft, and it would make each day an event. Usually that would be torture, but in these times it would at least be something. Or even making it Round 1, Rounds 2/3, Rounds 4/5, Rounds 6/7 across four days.

7 days PER ROUND???

JAFF
04-06-2020, 05:08 PM
7 days PER ROUND???
1 round a day?

nate505
04-06-2020, 06:35 PM
7 days PER ROUND???

Uh, ok, so I could have phrased it better :D

1 day per round haha.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Wonder if this impacts Aiyuk's draft stock at all? I know most mock drafts are projecting late 1st round / early 2nd round for him:

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1247541067466952708

Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk, a possible first-round pick, underwent a core-muscle surgery today performed by noted surgeon William Meyers, sources say. Aiyuk has been dealing with the issue the last few months. Ran 4.50 at the Combine. Decided to fix now with no OTAs in sight.

Chromeburn
04-08-2020, 01:31 PM

There is an Auburn lineman named Jack Driscoll. He tested out really high athletically, one of the highest, and had a decent season. He is lost in the scrum of OT's in this draft. But if you are looking for a backup developmental tackle he is definitely a guy to look at. When he drafted Nelson and Smith, they were two of the highest testing oline men in the draft. Smith actually tested higher than Nelson.

Chromeburn
04-10-2020, 12:55 PM
There is a late riser in the QB area. Jake Lukton of Oregon St. is 6-6 about 230lbs and is generating some buzz. He apparently has some fixable issues technique-wise but he throws with anticipation and see the field well. He would need some work but teams think at the least he will be a quality backup.

Lawrence Owen
04-12-2020, 01:00 AM
The #34 i'd use on a WR, preferable a long 50/50 like Mim's or Higgins, (I like them both for different reasons) Since we already have small quick speedster gadget guy's on the roster like Hilton and Hines(yes he's a RB, but fill's that gadget reciever position really well)

At #44 give me Netane Muti. I know many don't know him because he's not really high on many boards, but he would have been had he not had Achilles injuries in the past that limited his exposure. He is an absolute beast at Guard, and would solidify the line even more at RG. He plows people in the run game. People might think I'm nuts, but I seriously think he has top 3 guard NFL guard potential, and right out the gate.

Dam8610
04-15-2020, 09:49 PM
After watching this (https://youtu.be/8VzzDaz1Hbk), I want Denzel Mims at 34. Kollman provides some interesting analysis, but the thing that really impressed me throughout the highlights that wasn't really mentioned by him was the body control Mims has. So many of those catches were reminiscent of prime Reggie Wayne in that respect. His ability to contort himself to make the catch on the boundary while still keeping his feet in bounds is incredible, much like Wayne in his prime. But then also Mims is faster and bigger. So basically what I took away from that film was that his ceiling is bigger, faster, more physical Reggie Wayne. Any team would get better with that player.

Racehorse
04-16-2020, 09:05 AM
After watching this (https://youtu.be/8VzzDaz1Hbk), I want Denzel Mims at 34. Kollman provides some interesting analysis, but the thing that really impressed me throughout the highlights that wasn't really mentioned by him was the body control Mims has. So many of those catches were reminiscent of prime Reggie Wayne in that respect. His ability to contort himself to make the catch on the boundary while still keeping his feet in bounds is incredible, much like Wayne in his prime. But then also Mims is faster and bigger. So basically what I took away from that film was that his ceiling is bigger, faster, more physical Reggie Wayne. Any team would get better with that player.

A video about a device for trimming your intimate parts?

Dam8610
04-16-2020, 10:59 AM
A video about a device for trimming your intimate parts?

I skipped the ad, but I can understand why someone more interested in such things might not.

Racehorse
04-16-2020, 12:30 PM
I skipped the ad, but I can understand why someone more interested in such things might not.

The 40 time on that thing is magnificent. You would have liked it.

Puck
04-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Jeremy Chinn.

Dam8610
04-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Jeremy Chinn.

Would definitely agree in Round 3.

apballin
04-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Pittman or Claypool for me

Puck
04-16-2020, 11:10 PM
Would definitely agree in Round 3.

He wont make that far. IMO he will get taken with the 34 or 44 He is the ultimate Colts pick. Has everything needed to be a beast in the league.

Yea yea WR. but the draft is deep with WR and Rivers at QB will make what we already have look a million times better than JB did

On record I would take him at 34 if he's there. And is the player I am hoping for

Dam8610
04-17-2020, 09:01 AM
He wont make that far. IMO he will get taken with the 34 or 44 He is the ultimate Colts pick. Has everything needed to be a beast in the league.

Yea yea WR. but the draft is deep with WR and Rivers at QB will make what we already have look a million times better than JB did

On record I would take him at 34 if he's there. And is the player I am hoping for

Derwin James is the ceiling, but TJ Green is the floor. He makes a lot of highlight plays, but between those plays, he's too often effectively taken out of the play by 1-AA opponents. He certainly has all the tools to succeed, but is going to need a lot of coaching and probably an effective redshirt year to put those tools together into becoming a successful player.

smitty46953
04-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Jeremy Chinn.

Did not know much about Chinn. Had heard the name but who watches the Saluki's? So did some digging.

Jeremy Chinn
College: Southern Illinois
Position: Safety
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 212

Jeremy Chinn is an Indianapolis home grown athlete having played his high school ball at Fishers High School. Chinn is a physical specimen. He has a chiseled, muscular frame with incredible explosiveness. Tall, with ideal length. Burst and long speed enable him to take aggressive angles in pursuit attacking the football. Based on raw athletic talent alone, Jeremy Chinn could and I stress “could” be as good as any safety in this class. Chinn had a heck of a Combine with one of the best performances from anyone, regardless of position. However, reportedly he had a terrible week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Could that be the level of competition? Chinn could line up as both safety and linebacker and provide the versatility of a poor mans’ Isaiah Simmons. He has fantastic straight-line speed when pursuing ball carriers and can track down just about any play, regardless of where he starts on the field.

Chinn possesses fantastic upside, but he also carries a lot of risk. The Southern Illinois product is anything but a natural at the position, as he’s constantly late to diagnose plays. Has room to grow in terms of processing and instinct. Chinn is more of a reactive defender at this point and needs coached up. He overcomes his modest instincts with his pure athletic ability. But, will that translate to the NFL where the level of competition will be much greater than he faced at Southern Illinois? He can be a bit late in off man coverage to close down space when he's aligned off the football. Even with his great speed, he’s typically a step late to make a play on the ball. This implies that he’s going to struggle to adjust to NFL competition. Ultimately, Chinn is a high-risk, high-reward type of prospect that can either make or break a draft class. I would love to see the Colts add him to their roster. However, not until the 3rd round with the #75 pick. I like to take the BPA, while addressing needs too. I just don’t see Chinn being the BPA in the 2nd round at #34 or #44 for our Colts.

Spike
04-17-2020, 01:52 PM
I just don’t see Chinn being the BPA in the 2nd round at #34 or #44 for our Colts.

I don't either.

Ironshaft
04-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Stampede Blue released two articles Thursday and Friday that make for an interesting exercise for the draft.

The first one, released Thursday by Zach Hicks, listed his top 200 “big board.” I have no idea who Zach Hicks is but when I read his articles, I agree with them for the most part and he obviously has put in the time to try and study the top xx number of kids heading for the draft. Let’s use that as item number one in our exercise as a realistic look at talent evaluation.

The second article released today by Jake Arthur takes all of the players drafted, signed or retained by Chris Ballard during his time as GM and compares a “minimum” level of physical traits by position group. He then lines up draftee candidates against those minimum criteria and shows who hits them. His minimum number of traits to make his list is half of the category maximum (i.e. if there are 12 traits for a position group, a player must hit 6 of them to be on the list).

Putting those two articles together, I looked at a draft where player value (the “big” board) had to be within 2 spots ahead of our draft position to 10 spots below our draft position (i.e. drafting #34, you can pick players ranked from #32 to #44) along with who had the best minimum trait scores as this would hopefully indicate the type of player Ballard is targeting. I tried drafting mostly for BPA but did acknowledge that I would have to target a couple of spots that I thought the Colts were thin on primarily WR, TE and depth O-Line.

Using that criteria, here the results:

2nd Round, #34 Overall – RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. #34 on the “big” board; hits 11 of 11 physical traits for RB

Not where I would have gone for team need but Taylor hits this exercise as being at #34 on the “big” board and is the only RB in the draft class to hit on 11 of 11 physical traits of the running backs. He has all the skills to be an elite RB in the NFL and could really take a TON of pressure off Rivers to make aggressive decisions in the passing game. Behind our offensive line, Taylor could be a beast. Pairing him with Mack and Hines with more double RB formations could really create some mismatches as opposing defenses stay in base defense to defend the run and then we flex Hines or Mack out as a slot receiver. BPA in this case really lines up. He is an offensive weapon if not one at the position where we need help most.

2nd Round, #44 Overall – OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State. #50 on the “big” board; hits 12 of 12 physical traits for OTs

Cleveland is the only OT in the draft class to hit all 12 of the physical traits established by Ballard. He is also a position of “need-ish” in my book because there is no one currently on the roster that could play left OT if something happens to Castonzo. In year one, he can challenge for playing time by either sliding inside to take Glowinski’s spot or show he could hold down right OT and allow Smith to slide inside. A great place where value and need line up, IMO and strengthened and already strong O-line.

3rd Round, #75 Overall – WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame. #74 on the “big” board; hits 10 of 12 physical traits for WRs

Wow, value is really lining up. Only two receivers hit more physical traits than Claypool (Pittman Jr and Mims). Claypool hits 10 of 12 physical traits along with only one other receiver (Gabriel Davis, UCF) so is a great get here. I love almost everything about Claypool’s game and think that he could be a huge addition to the Colts offense. The added bonus is that it could allow for Campbell to absolutely KILL it in the slot creating mismatches and push Pascal back to the WR4 where his skills are probably much more suited to be a part time performance.

4th Round #122 Overall – NT Raekwon Davis, Alabama. #120 on the “big” board; hits 9 of 12 physical traits for DT

A leader on a stacked Alabama defense, has the physical traits and play ability to be a good starter in the NFL. Maturity is a concern but, hopefully, a good Colts locker room can help shape that. Could end up being the long-term NT to play next to DeForest Buckner going forward. He has all the traits for it.

5th Round #160 Overall – WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty. #162 on the “big” board, hits 9 of 12 physical traits for a WR

[Note: Could also have gone with TE Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech who was #160 on the “big” board but only hit on 7 of 10 TE traits for a lower 70% hit rate rather than the 75% hit rate of Gandy-Golden]

Wow, being able to hit on a player in the 5th round that still aligns to Ballard’s minimum traits 75% of the way is pretty incredible; and at a position of need to boot. He is an excellent lower round prospect who can push everyone above him and really increase the competition in the WR room. Having Claypool, Campbell, Pascal, Fountain and now Gandy-Golden all competing for playing time would make the room much, much stronger.

6th Round #193 – OG Kevin Dotson, Louisiana. #193 on the “big” board; 10 of 12 physical traits for OG]/b]

Okay, this is crazy! Finding a guy at the bottom of the big board that is a position of “need-ish” for offensive line depth and still aligns 83% with Ballard’s minimum physical traits criteria is sort of weird. Dotson was a snub for the NFL combine but was a 4 year starter, named 1st team AP All-American his senior year who has some fundamental issues but a great motor and aggressive mindset. Sounds like a great guy to not ask to start immediately but instead to function as depth for a year or two.

[b]6th Round #197 – LB Jacob Phillips, LSU. #195 on the “big” board; 10 of 10 physical traits for LB

Belay my last. Now we find a kid who aligns 100% with the physical traits Ballard looks for in linebackers at the end of the draft. I don’t know that LB is a big position of need but quality depth is always desired and good special teams play can help. Competing with Speed, Adams and Franklin for depth duties will only make the group grow stronger.

Recap:

2nd round #34 – RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. 11 of 11 RB physical traits (100% match)
2nd round #44 – OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State. 12 of 12 OT physical traits (100% match)
3rd Round #75 – WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame. 10 of 12 WR physical traits (83% match)
4th Round #122 – NT Raekwon Davis, Alabama. 9 of 12 DT physical traits (75% match)
5th Round #160 – WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty. 9 of 12 WR physical traits (75% match)
6th Round #193 – OG Kevin Dotson, Louisiana. 10 of 12 OG physical traits (83% match)
6th Round #197 – LB Jacob Phillips, LSU. 10 of 10 LB physical traits (100% match)

3x offensive play makers, 2x offensive line, 2x defensive front-7.

Other than finding tight end or safety depth, that draft is music to my ears!

Interesting exercise. What do you think?

Dam8610
04-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Did not know much about Chinn. Had heard the name but who watches the Saluki's? So did some digging.

Jeremy Chinn
College: Southern Illinois
Position: Safety
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 212

Jeremy Chinn is an Indianapolis home grown athlete having played his high school ball at Fishers High School. Chinn is a physical specimen. He has a chiseled, muscular frame with incredible explosiveness. Tall, with ideal length. Burst and long speed enable him to take aggressive angles in pursuit attacking the football. Based on raw athletic talent alone, Jeremy Chinn could and I stress “could” be as good as any safety in this class. Chinn had a heck of a Combine with one of the best performances from anyone, regardless of position. However, reportedly he had a terrible week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Could that be the level of competition? Chinn could line up as both safety and linebacker and provide the versatility of a poor mans’ Isaiah Simmons. He has fantastic straight-line speed when pursuing ball carriers and can track down just about any play, regardless of where he starts on the field.

Chinn possesses fantastic upside, but he also carries a lot of risk. The Southern Illinois product is anything but a natural at the position, as he’s constantly late to diagnose plays. Has room to grow in terms of processing and instinct. Chinn is more of a reactive defender at this point and needs coached up. He overcomes his modest instincts with his pure athletic ability. But, will that translate to the NFL where the level of competition will be much greater than he faced at Southern Illinois? He can be a bit late in off man coverage to close down space when he's aligned off the football. Even with his great speed, he’s typically a step late to make a play on the ball. This implies that he’s going to struggle to adjust to NFL competition. Ultimately, Chinn is a high-risk, high-reward type of prospect that can either make or break a draft class. I would love to see the Colts add him to their roster. However, not until the 3rd round with the #75 pick. I like to take the BPA, while addressing needs too. I just don’t see Chinn being the BPA in the 2nd round at #34 or #44 for our Colts.

I saw exactly what this describes. An athletically gifted player with a low football IQ. He definitely needs some coaching and lots of film study. If he had the instincts of Isaiah Simmons, he'd probably at the very least be in the first round conversation, if not top 15.

Dam8610
04-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Stampede Blue released two articles Thursday and Friday that make for an interesting exercise for the draft.

The first one, released Thursday by Zach Hicks, listed his top 200 “big board.” I have no idea who Zach Hicks is but when I read his articles, I agree with them for the most part and he obviously has put in the time to try and study the top xx number of kids heading for the draft. Let’s use that as item number one in our exercise as a realistic look at talent evaluation.

The second article released today by Jake Arthur takes all of the players drafted, signed or retained by Chris Ballard during his time as GM and compares a “minimum” level of physical traits by position group. He then lines up draftee candidates against those minimum criteria and shows who hits them. His minimum number of traits to make his list is half of the category maximum (i.e. if there are 12 traits for a position group, a player must hit 6 of them to be on the list).

Putting those two articles together, I looked at a draft where player value (the “big” board) had to be within 2 spots ahead of our draft position to 10 spots below our draft position (i.e. drafting #34, you can pick players ranked from #32 to #44) along with who had the best minimum trait scores as this would hopefully indicate the type of player Ballard is targeting. I tried drafting mostly for BPA but did acknowledge that I would have to target a couple of spots that I thought the Colts were thin on primarily WR, TE and depth O-Line.

2nd Round, #34 Overall – RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. #34 on the “big” board; hits 11 of 11 physical traits for RB

Not where I would have gone for team need but Taylor hits this exercise as being at #34 on the “big” board and is the only RB in the draft class to hit on 11 of 11 physical traits of the running backs. He has all the skills to be an elite RB in the NFL and could really take a TON of pressure off Rivers to make aggressive decisions in the passing game. Behind our offensive line, Taylor could be a beast. Pairing him with Mack and Hines with more double RB formations could really create some mismatches as opposing defenses stay in base defense to defend the run and then we flex Hines or Mack out as a slot receiver. BPA in this case really lines up. He is an offensive weapon if not one at the position where we need help most.

2nd Round, #44 Overall – OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State. #50 on the “big” board; hits 12 of 12 physical traits for OTs

Cleveland is the only OT in the draft class to hit all 12 of the physical traits established by Ballard. He is also a position of “need-ish” in my book because there is no one currently on the roster that could play left OT if something happens to Castonzo. In year one, he can challenge for playing time by either sliding inside to take Glowinski’s spot or show he could hold down right OT and allow Smith to slide inside. A great place where value and need line up, IMO and strengthened and already strong O-line.

3rd Round, #75 Overall – WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame. #74 on the “big” board; hits 10 of 12 physical traits for WRs

Wow, value is really lining up. Only two receivers hit more physical traits than Claypool (Pittman Jr and Mims). Claypool hits 10 of 12 physical traits along with only one other receiver (Gabriel Davis, UCF) so is a great get here. I love almost everything about Claypool’s game and think that he could be a huge addition to the Colts offense. The added bonus is that it could allow for Campbell to absolutely KILL it in the slot creating mismatches and push Pascal back to the WR4 where his skills are probably much more suited to be a part time performance.

4th Round #122 Overall – NT Raekwon Davis, Alabama. #120 on the “big” board; hits 9 of 12 physical traits for DT

A leader on a stacked Alabama defense, has the physical traits and play ability to be a good starter in the NFL. Maturity is a concern but, hopefully, a good Colts locker room can help shape that. Could end up being the long-term NT to play next to DeForest Buckner going forward. He has all the traits for it.

5th Round #160 Overall – WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty. #162 on the “big” board, hits 9 of 12 physical traits for a WR

[Note: Could also have gone with TE Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech who was #160 on the “big” board but only hit on 7 of 10 TE traits for a lower 70% hit rate rather than the 75% hit rate of Gandy-Golden]

Wow, being able to hit on a player in the 5th round that still aligns to Ballard’s minimum traits 75% of the way is pretty incredible; and at a position of need to boot. He is an excellent lower round prospect who can push everyone above him and really increase the competition in the WR room. Having Claypool, Campbell, Pascal, Fountain and now Gandy-Golden all competing for playing time would make the room much, much stronger.

6th Round #193 – OG Kevin Dotson, Louisiana. #193 on the “big” board; 10 of 12 physical traits for OG]/b]

Okay, this is crazy! Finding a guy at the bottom of the big board that is a position of “need-ish” for offensive line depth and still aligns 83% with Ballard’s minimum physical traits criteria is sort of weird. Dotson was a snub for the NFL combine but was a 4 year starter, named 1st team AP All-American his senior year who has some fundamental issues but a great motor and aggressive mindset. Sounds like a great guy to not ask to start immediately but instead to function as depth for a year or two.

[b]6th Round #197 – LB Jacob Phillips, LSU. #195 on the “big” board; 10 of 10 physical traits for LB

Belay my last. Now we find a kid who aligns 100% with the physical traits Ballard looks for in linebackers at the end of the draft. I don’t know that LB is a big position of need but quality depth is always desired and good special teams play can help. Competing with Speed, Adams and Franklin for depth duties will only make the group grow stronger.

Recap:

2nd round #34 – RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. 11 of 11 RB physical traits (100% match)
2nd round #44 – OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State. 12 of 12 OT physical traits (100% match)
3rd Round #75 – WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame. 10 of 12 WR physical traits (83% match)
4th Round #122 – NT Raekwon Davis, Alabama. 9 of 12 DT physical traits (75% match)
5th Round #160 – WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty. 9 of 12 WR physical traits (75% match)
6th Round #193 – OG Kevin Dotson, Louisiana. 10 of 12 OG physical traits (83% match)
6th Round #197 – LB Jacob Phillips, LSU. 10 of 10 LB physical traits (100% match)

I want to stay as far away from Johnathan Taylor as possible. High mileage RBs rarely work out.

Chromeburn
04-17-2020, 04:40 PM

Recap:

I could live with that draft. It's not a strong TE or corner draft. And I know they have liked some RB's in the last couple drafts. Christian McCaffrey, and Josh Jacobs last year. So a RB doens't completely surprise me, especially if they think he can be great. I have been reading some buzz about the Ohio St RB and that some teams like him also. Keeps showing up in game film making plays when studying other guys.

Dam8610
04-17-2020, 05:20 PM
I could live with that draft. It's not a strong TE or corner draft. And I know they have liked some RB's in the last couple drafts. Christian McCaffrey, and Josh Jacobs last year. So a RB doens't completely surprise me, especially if they think he can be great. I have been reading some buzz about the Ohio St RB and that some teams like him also. Keeps showing up in game film making plays when studying other guys.

J.K. Dobbins or Clyde Edwards-Helaire at 75 would make me very happy.

Chromeburn
04-17-2020, 05:47 PM
J.K. Dobbins or Clyde Edwards-Helaire at 75 would make me very happy.

I would be ok with that.

Also Mims and Claypoole have been working their up the board. If either is available at 34, that may be the only point we see them available.

Dam8610
04-17-2020, 06:42 PM
I would be ok with that.

Also Mims and Claypoole have been working their up the board. If either is available at 34, that may be the only point we see them available.

Mims at 34 is fine with me.

Racehorse
04-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Mims at 34 is fine with me.

I agree. He seems to be the next Reggie Wayne.

YDFL Commish
04-17-2020, 08:17 PM

Recap:

I'm sorry, I hate your draft.

Ironshaft
04-17-2020, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry, I hate your draft.That's fine but why?

What are you hoping more for? CB? QB? What are you looking for.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

YDFL Commish
04-17-2020, 08:38 PM
That's fine but why?

What are you hoping more for? CB? QB? What are you looking for.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RB is not a need. I'm not sold on Dobbins. Ezra Cleveland is a developmental player. I don't hate the Claypool pick there though. Davis in no way fits into our scheme. I don't hate Golden at that spot. LB is the last of our needs on this team.

apballin
04-18-2020, 01:47 AM
I agree. He seems to be the next Reggie Wayne.

Whoa, I’ll go check this dude out again but I haven’t seen that

Dam8610
04-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Anyone watched/have any thoughts on Anthony Gordon? I'd dismissed him as an air raid system QB, but his performance at the Senior Bowl was surprising in a very positive way. Looking at a few of his games, his ability to extend plays and get out of the pocket was reminiscent of Russell Wilson and his ball placement, accuracy, and arm strength were all reminiscent of collegiate Drew Brees (remember that Brees did not have the arm strength to make certain NFL throws in the first few years of his NFL career). I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those QBs, but I like the intangibles, and I think an NFL team willing to get him in an intensive strength and conditioning program and invest in a lot of film study and coaching, they could get a quality starting QB out of him. To me, the intangibles and many of the physical tools are already there, and taking him in Round 5, for example, would be a better option to me than taking Jalen Hurts or Jake Fromm in Round 3.

YDFL Commish
04-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Anyone watched/have any thoughts on Anthony Gordon? I'd dismissed him as an air raid system QB, but his performance at the Senior Bowl was surprising in a very positive way. Looking at a few of his games, his ability to extend plays and get out of the pocket was reminiscent of Russell Wilson and his ball placement, accuracy, and arm strength were all reminiscent of collegiate Drew Brees (remember that Brees did not have the arm strength to make certain NFL throws in the first few years of his NFL career). I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those QBs, but I like the intangibles, and I think an NFL team willing to get him in an intensive strength and conditioning program and invest in a lot of film study and coaching, they could get a quality starting QB out of him. To me, the intangibles and many of the physical tools are already there, and taking him in Round 5, for example, would be a better option to me than taking Jalen Hurts or Jake Fromm in Round 3.

Jim Miller raves about his arm talent on XM. Very Mahomes like, without the arm strength.

apballin
04-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Don’t know if it’s been pointed out but worth noting Jalen Reagor is montae reagors son

Chromeburn
04-18-2020, 11:36 PM
Don’t know if it’s been pointed out but worth noting Jalen Reagor is montae reagors son

Colts seem interested in him too.

Dam8610
04-18-2020, 11:38 PM
Jim Miller raves about his arm talent on XM. Very Mahomes like, without the arm strength.

I think if he lands with the right team and has the opportunity to sit and learn for a year or two, he could be a 10 year starter on a perennial playoff team.

Racehorse
04-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Whoa, I’ll go check this dude out again but I haven’t seen that

I forget where I read it, but someone said he has a lot of the same traits.

Dam8610
04-19-2020, 11:59 AM
I forget where I read it, but someone said he has a lot of the same traits.

It's the body control and the ridiculous boundary catches. That was the thing that stood out most about Reggie, and the thing that stands out most about Mims.

apballin
04-19-2020, 10:16 PM
FanDuel has odds on who the Colts 1st pick will be for those interested

Racehorse
04-20-2020, 09:32 AM
It's the body control and the ridiculous boundary catches. That was the thing that stood out most about Reggie, and the thing that stands out most about Mims.

That was what I had read, but I still don't recall where I read it.

Dam8610
04-20-2020, 12:26 PM
That was what I had read, but I still don't recall where I read it.

I know I said it a couple pages back in this thread.

Chromeburn
04-21-2020, 07:19 AM
A couple more days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7opIzd8SQ&feature=emb_rel_end

Keep an eye on the top left