PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Castonzo Retiring?

Brylok
12-30-2019, 01:24 PM
According to Mike Chappell, who is reliable and has covered the Colts since 1984, Anthony Castonzo is considering two possibilities right now: 1. Keep playing. 2. Retire.

Losing Castonzo would create a huge need. But if someone is thinking about retirement, it doesn't sound like a multi-year contract will be signed. This off season is gonna be a doozy.

apballin
12-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Hopefully that mf doesn’t retire

JAFF
12-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Sure, why not.

JAFF
12-30-2019, 03:18 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/12/30/colts-left-tackle-anthony-castonzo-considering-retirement-vs-free-agency/2772180001/

INDIANAPOLIS — Anthony Castonzo is mulling retirement. The Indianapolis Colts star left tackle, slated to become a free agent this offseason, said Monday that he is weighing whether he wants to return for his tenth NFL season.

Asked in no uncertain terms if retirement was an option, he replied, “It is. Absolutely.”

“I just need to think. I need to sit down and think and see how different things play out.”

Castonzo cited “personal reasons” for why he would consider cutting his career short while still playing some of the best football of his life.

“I just got some thinking to do,” he said. “That’s what it’s going to come down to. I’ve got a decision to make, then I gotta live with it.”

More Colts:

Indianapolis Colts: Here are a decade of Nos. 13 and 34 draft picks
Insider: Frustrated Colts star TY Hilton says ball didn't come his way enough in December
Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo (74) wards off defensive tackle Isaiah Mack (97) in the third quarter of their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019.
Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo (74) wards off defensive tackle Isaiah Mack (97) in the third quarter of their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019. (Photo: Matt Kryger/IndyStar)
Castonzo said he has spoken with Colts general manager Chris Ballard “here and there,” but was slated to meet with the Colts general manager later Monday afternoon.

There was some consternation in the Colts community that an extension with Castonzo had not been reached and that he could potentially hit the open market, where his services would be coveted by plenty of teams.

Castonzo played a key role in making Andrew Luck the least-sacked quarterback in the league last year. While the Colts offensive line hasn’t been quite as dominant in pass protection this year, it did help the offense churn out more than 2,000 rushing yards for the first time as a franchise since 1994.

If Castonzo were to reach the open market, he’d be in line to sign a monster contract. Tackles of his caliber don’t often reach free agency. A couple of years ago, the New York Giants signed ex-Patriots tackle Nate Solder to a four-year, $62-million with $34.8 million guaranteed. He was a year younger, 30, than Castonzo is now when he signed that deal.

Castonzo has never been a free agent. After playing out his rookie contract, he signed a 4-year, $43,812,000 contract, with $18 million guaranteed, ahead of the 2016 season.

rcubed
12-30-2019, 03:30 PM
the luck-early-retirement plan is spreading!!!!

Brylok
12-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Colts dot com has a thread about it. The mods are trying to spin it into the typical sunshine and rainbows bullshit they post over there. Pathetic really

JAFF
12-30-2019, 05:31 PM
He made $43 million on this recent contract. How much more does he need? This is the result of making a lot of money in a short period of time. It gives you the freedom to do what you want.

This team right now is more than 2 players away from serious contention. Why get beat up for that?

Maniac
12-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Anthony Castonzo is considering two possibilities right now: 1. Keep playing. 2. Retire.

Aren't those the options every year? :D

Butter
12-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Aren't those the options every year? :D

Pretty much.

Chromeburn
12-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Colts dot com has a thread about it. The mods are trying to spin it into the typical sunshine and rainbows bullshit they post over there. Pathetic really

Pretty dramatic over there. This is a good draft to grab a LT. Too bad we need a QB too.

JAFF
12-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Pretty dramatic over there. This is a good draft to grab a LT. Too bad we need a QB too.

And a play making pass rusher

jasperhobbs
12-30-2019, 08:22 PM
Another thing, when Castonzo was drafted he said something about eventually becoming a medical scientist or something like that and was a Rhodes scholar nominee. He may very well be looking at pursuing that.

JAFF
12-30-2019, 08:29 PM
Another thing, when Castonzo was drafted he said something about eventually becoming a medical scientist or something like that and was a Rhodes scholar nominee. He may very well be looking at pursuing that.

Biochemistry major. Interested in cancer research. He did that, played football, graduated in 4 years.

jasperhobbs
12-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Biochemistry major. Interested in cancer research. He did that, played football, graduated in 4 years.

Thanks for the info. He is a smart guy like Andrew Luck and has a lot of post football options. I am envious.

Brylok
12-30-2019, 08:38 PM
We might wind up with a top 5 pick next year. It's going to be interesting 🤪

Spike
12-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Yes, we do need a QB. I watch a lot of college football, and the only 2 QB's worthy, in my opinion, of being a 1st round pick is Burrow and Tua. The rest are just meh to me. Tua is a question because of his health. I think the Bengals take Burrow. I'm not a fan of Hurts or Herbert.

Chromeburn
12-31-2019, 12:34 AM
And a play making pass rusher

So basically the pillars of a team. NP.

Could try free agency, cause, you know, we have enough money saved to field a whole second team.

Chromeburn
12-31-2019, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the info. He is a smart guy like Andrew Luck and has a lot of post football options. I am envious.

I believe AC is Luck’s best friend on the team

Chromeburn
12-31-2019, 12:36 AM
We might wind up with a top 5 pick next year. It's going to be interesting 🤪

Whelp, if we’re gonna suck. Next year is a good year to do it.

kitekrazy
12-31-2019, 01:43 AM

We were prepped for it this season.

omahacolt
12-31-2019, 08:26 PM
It would be a shame if he retired now. He is finally getting respect from fans.

Discflinger
12-31-2019, 09:21 PM
I was at that game where he caught a td against the cheats. Best celebration EVAR! But seriously...WTF!

Discflinger
12-31-2019, 09:25 PM

I miss Rhodes.

Brylok
01-02-2020, 05:11 AM
I miss Rhodes.
He's the forgotten Colt. We wouldn't have made it through the playoffs or won that super bowl without him. He and AV won the playoff game in Baltimore that year

YDFL Commish
01-02-2020, 07:10 PM
I certainly want AC back. He has played very good football the last 2 seasons.

But I called this several months ago, when I suggested that he could opt to retire at seasons end. I guess I wasn't crazy.

Colts And Orioles
01-02-2020, 07:30 PM
o

As a favor to Frank Reich and the Colts organization, I hope that he plays at least 2 more seasons ...... not that he necessarily owes them anything ...... he was a good soldier for 9 seasons in a brutal sport which often leaves many of its long-time players with severe physical and mental disabilities.

o

albany ed
01-03-2020, 07:06 AM
I'm thinking he plays 1 more season, but management has been given notice and they need to get his replacement in here now.

rm1369
01-03-2020, 10:50 AM

Going into this year everyone expected the team to be a contender and at least have a deep playoff run. Now we can legitimately talk about a top 5 pick next year. Says a hell of a lot about the importance of a QB. Teams should never take that shit for granted.

Chromeburn
01-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Going into this year everyone expected the team to be a contender and at least have a deep playoff run. Now we can legitimately talk about a top 5 pick next year. Says a hell of a lot about the importance of a QB. Teams should never take that shit for granted.

The difference between a 1-2 seed and picking just out of the top ten. Thing is, most teams that lose their franchise QB completely fall apart. Shows we have some talent on this squad winning 7 games. We lost a few we should have won. And won a few we should have lost. But yeah, signal caller is so important, and we won’t have the security of the number 1 pick this time. Hope they make the right choice.

Luck4Reich
01-03-2020, 06:20 PM
There have been 15 Super Bowl winning QBs NOT drafted in the first round.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-15-super-bowl-winning-quarterbacks-not-first-round-picks-tom-brady-joe-montana-kurt-warner-brett-favre-042817

Dam8610
01-03-2020, 06:38 PM
The difference between a 1-2 seed and picking just out of the top ten. Thing is, most teams that lose their franchise QB completely fall apart. Shows we have some talent on this squad winning 7 games. We lost a few we should have won. And won a few we should have lost. But yeah, signal caller is so important, and we won’t have the security of the number 1 pick this time. Hope they make the right choice.

That the Colts were a middling team without their franchise QB shows that Ballard has built very well. Now he has to find a franchise guy. Hopefully he can do that in this draft.

apballin
01-04-2020, 12:46 AM
He's the forgotten Colt. We wouldn't have made it through the playoffs or won that super bowl without him. He and AV won the playoff game in Baltimore that year

Don’t forget about Nick Harper

JAFF
01-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Lets say castonzo does retire. Typically, the best O lineman is the LT. Could the Colts move Nelson over and fill LG through FA, the draft, trade, or just keep Haeg on the team?

Is that crazy, too simple, or too complicated?

Pez
01-04-2020, 04:13 PM
Lets say castonzo does retire. Typically, the best O lineman is the LT. Could the Colts move Nelson over and fill LG through FA, the draft, trade, or just keep Haeg on the team?

Is that crazy, too simple, or too complicated?I thought there were significant technique differences between tackle and guard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HoosierinFL
01-04-2020, 04:53 PM
No, Nelson cannot play tackle. But I do believe that Clark can fill in. We've tried him at RT and it didn't work out, but I believe he is more naturally suited to LT and he's looked better on that side in the limited time he's been needed there.
For now I'm not worried about him.
Besides, even though Haeg and Clark never looked all that great (not bad, just not great) in their 1st and 2nd years, both are veterans now and might have actually learned a lot behind the scenes and we just haven't had an opportunity to see it because we haven't needed to call on them in the games.
I remain optimistic about both of them.

JAFF
01-04-2020, 05:45 PM
No, Nelson cannot play tackle. .

Why?

rm1369
01-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Why?

“Can’t” is probably too strong of a word. However, the positions aren’t directly interchangeable. There are different skills required working inside than setting up outside against the leagues best pass rushers. Going from facing some of the leagues strongest players to facing speed rushers every down. You’d be taking the leagues best guard and making him a mediocre (at best) tackle - weakening two positions.

Maniac
01-05-2020, 03:07 AM
If they wanted to have Nelson play tackle, then they would have done it his rookie year and had Smith play guard.

Some of Nelson's best skills are pushing guys inside into the 2nd level and beyond as well as pulling. Put him at tackle and you take away what he does best.

JAFF
01-05-2020, 08:13 AM
If they wanted to have Nelson play tackle, then they would have done it his rookie year and had Smith play guard.

Some of Nelson's best skills are pushing guys inside into the 2nd level and beyond as well as pulling. Put him at tackle and you take away what he does best.

They didnt need to, they had Castonzo. And they did put Smith at G , but moved him to T because neither Clark or Hague could handle the RT spot.

Ok, I was thinking it would be easier to find a G than a top LT in the draft or free agency

Hoopsdoc
01-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Is that crazy, too simple, or too complicated?

Nelson has made all pro each of his first two years. Moving him to a new position would be insane.

omahacolt
01-05-2020, 11:30 AM
They didnt need to, they had Castonzo. And they did put Smith at G , but moved him to T because neither Clark or Hague could handle the RT spot.

Ok, I was thinking it would be easier to find a G than a top LT in the draft or free agency

Of course it is easier to find a guard. That doesn’t mean a good guard should just move to LT

JAFF
01-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Nelson has made all pro each of his first two years. Moving him to a new position would be insane.

And how does it work when a team doesnt have a sound left tackle?

I appreciate his skills in his first two years. He could be the John Hannah for this team. He is one of the most athletic limen in the NFL.

The thread is about the possible loss of Castonzo. Colts are looking for a QB and now maybe a LT. I’m not sure having a great RG will be that beneficial if the LT plays like tony ugoh

JAFF
01-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Of course it is easier to find a guard. That doesn’t mean a good guard should just move to LT

Jake Scott was a good guard. Nelson is an exceptional guard, with exceptional athletic ability

Maniac
01-05-2020, 02:30 PM

My point is that when they put Smith at tackle, they didn't choose to put Nelson there instead, and that was for a reason.

Oldcolt
01-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Nelson isn't going anywhere, at least I hope not. Having him in the middle where he uses his athletic ability to help out and, more importantly, he keeps the pocket from collapsing. He is a guard and a great one at that. Don't mess with what is working for this team.

JAFF
01-05-2020, 05:42 PM
No, Nelson cannot play tackle. But I do believe that Clark can fill in. We've tried him at RT and it didn't work out, but I believe he is more naturally suited to LT and he's looked better on that side in the limited time he's been needed there.
For now I'm not worried about him.
Besides, even though Haeg and Clark never looked all that great (not bad, just not great) in their 1st and 2nd years, both are veterans now and might have actually learned a lot behind the scenes and we just haven't had an opportunity to see it because we haven't needed to call on them in the games.
I remain optimistic about both of them.

Clark wasnt active for the last half of the season

JAFF
01-05-2020, 05:44 PM

He’s one of the best lineman in the NFL. He maybe one of the best athletes on the team

YDFL Commish
01-05-2020, 05:53 PM
And how does it work when a team doesnt have a sound left tackle?

I appreciate his skills in his first two years. He could be the John Hannah for this team. He is one of the most athletic limen in the NFL.

The thread is about the possible loss of Castonzo. Colts are looking for a QB and now maybe a LT. I’m not sure having a great RG will be that beneficial if the LT plays like tony ugoh

Actually Braden Smith is much more athletic than Nelson. His measurables were off the charts for being drafted as a guard.

Butter
01-06-2020, 01:03 AM
He’s one of the best lineman in the NFL. He maybe one of the best athletes on the team

He is on his way to being one of the best guards of all time, you leave him there and build the line around him.

Brylok
02-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Zach Keefer has reported that Castonzo will be returning to the Colts next year. That's a big relief, but he's obviously pondering retirement and his eventual replacement needs to be drafted/found in advance. Nice to have him back for at least an additional year.

Brylok
02-25-2020, 12:44 PM
Ballard is addressing the media right now and has confirmed the return.

Racehorse
02-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Ballard is addressing the media right now and has confirmed the return.

Time to change the thread title to Returning!!!

Butter
02-25-2020, 01:41 PM
That is a relief,

Discflinger
02-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Still love to draft a T high(2 or 3), put him at RT, allowing Braden to serve RG/T depth.

Maniac
02-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Still love to draft a T high(2 or 3), put him at RT, allowing Braden to serve RG/T depth.

too many other needs. They can address it late, but not a high pick hopefully.

Chromeburn
02-25-2020, 02:57 PM

I like Smith there. I think he did a good job. I would rather upgrade the LG position which is easier to do than find a RT.

Butter
02-25-2020, 02:59 PM
I like Smith there. I think he did a good job. I would rather upgrade the LG position which is easier to do than find a RT.

The only way I go T now is one we can develop to eventually replace AC since it sounds like we are looking year to year with him now.

rm1369
02-25-2020, 03:17 PM
The only way I go T now is one we can develop to eventually replace AC since it sounds like we are looking year to year with him now.

OT is still 3rd on the priority list for me at 13 - behind QB and DT.

Puck
02-25-2020, 04:18 PM

I assume you meant RG

Chaka
02-25-2020, 05:01 PM
Interesting development. Makes me wonder what would motivate Castonzo to first float the idea of a retirement, and then decide to return, but only on a year-to-year basis. Trying to read the tea leaves here.

Maybe it's as simple as a desire to earn a few more bucks before retirement, but I have to think that the Colts made some sort of sales pitch to him to convince him to return. If so, what would that pitch have been? We're planning on drafting a developmental QB and you can block for him? I wouldn't think that would be too enticing unless he gets paid really well. We're planning on bringing in a proven vet QB and will have a legit shot at the playoffs? Seems more appealing.

So, do you think this moves the needle closer to the possibility of bringing in a vet QB? Or do you think it's more simple, and just about Castonzo not being ready to let the game go so deciding to play one more season?

JAFF
02-25-2020, 07:09 PM
Interesting development. Makes me wonder what would motivate Castonzo to first float the idea of a retirement, and then decide to return, but only on a year-to-year basis. Trying to read the tea leaves here.

Maybe it's as simple as a desire to earn a few more bucks before retirement, but I have to think that the Colts made some sort of sales pitch to him to convince him to return. If so, what would that pitch have been? We're planning on drafting a developmental QB and you can block for him? I wouldn't think that would be too enticing unless he gets paid really well. We're planning on bringing in a proven vet QB and will have a legit shot at the playoffs? Seems more appealing.

So, do you think this moves the needle closer to the possibility of bringing in a vet QB? Or do you think it's more simple, and just about Castonzo not being ready to let the game go so deciding to play one more season?

He’s a very well educated man he has the ability to go and do almost anything he wants to do so I don’t believe it’s about money he had to decide if he was willing to take another couple years of a beating that offense lineman take on every play.

Luck4Reich
02-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Great point and question.... it's not unrealistic to think he considered retirement if chances of winning a SB was far off in his mind. Maybe he was convinced otherwise.

smitty46953
02-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Just my opinion

Last year Castonzo's total contract was worth $11,050,000 if they sign him he will ask for over the $16,020,000 OL Franchise tag amount, if not signed and Colts tag him for $16,020,000 either way a nice farewell retirement plan. :cool:

Racehorse
02-25-2020, 08:43 PM

What is your issue with Big Q?

Chromeburn
02-25-2020, 09:53 PM
What is your issue with Big Q?

Haha. So overrated. If he was that good we shouldn’t even need a tackle. He should just block the whole left side, blitzes included.

So obviously I meant RG.

Ironshaft
02-26-2020, 08:58 AM
I am glad that AC is returning. Our great O-Line from 2019 will continue.

However, with Haeg heading to free agency (I believe that he is good enough that someone will pay him low end starter money) and Clark being no more than just okay, I still want an OT with one of our top three picks (Rounds 1 and 2) in 2020.

We need to rebuild our quality depth on the O-line with Haeg departing and prepare that AC will depart in the near future (1 or 2 years from now).

As an added bonus, we could see if the rookie would be ready to play this year which would add competition to RG Glowinski where he will either rise to the occasion and retain his starting spot (play like he did in 2019) or become somewhat high paid depth on the inside if supplanted by either the rookie or by Smith kicking inside with the rookie playing RT.

I like the look of this:

LT Castonzo (1st round pick)
LG Nelson (1st round pick)
OC Kelly (1st round pick)
RG Smith (2nd round pick)
RT Rookie (1st/2nd round pick)

Interior Depth: Glowinski (4th round pick)
OT Depth: Smith
Developmental Depth: Lower round 2020 rookie (4th/5th/6th round pick)

After those seven, then whichever UDFA/street free agent the team likes for numbers 8/9/10 on the active / practice squad.

Keep the O-Line strong; that is one of the drive engines to a top offense.

YDFL Commish
02-26-2020, 09:15 AM
There are some good OT's in this draft.