PDA

View Full Version : Ebron to IR

omahacolt
11-25-2019, 07:48 AM
According to Ian rapaport

Hoopsdoc
11-25-2019, 08:12 AM
I’ll miss watching him drop easy passes.

ChoppedWood
11-25-2019, 08:26 AM
He played a hell of a game against Houston. Drops or not he is someone the opposition had to account for. This is not good.

omahacolt
11-25-2019, 08:27 AM
He played a hell of a game against Houston. Drops or not he is someone the opposition had to account for. This is not good.

It doesn’t really matter at this point

Chaka
11-25-2019, 11:03 AM
It doesn’t really matter at this point

I suppose you're right. Nevertheless, sad to hear his season is over. I like the guy, I hope we bring him back. He won't be as expensive as he would have been after last season.

Chaka
11-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Apparently we're resigning Ross Travis to take his place

https://nfltraderumors.co/colts-placing-te-eric-ebron-on-injured-reserve/

Pez
11-25-2019, 11:42 AM

I Guess that is the best news here, a lot of folks were pretty high on him and hoping he would make the team. Hopefully he gets some game experience and we will know more about him as a next year prospect.

Chromeburn
11-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Things are about to get a lot tighter in coverage with Ebron out now. He was one of the few mismatch problem defenses had to account for.

Butter
11-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Time for Cox to step it up.

Racehorse
11-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Championship!

Hoopsdoc
11-25-2019, 05:34 PM
I suppose you're right. Nevertheless, sad to hear his season is over. I like the guy, I hope we bring him back. He won't be as expensive as he would have been after last season.

He won’t be back.

YDFL Commish
11-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Addition by subtraction?

Ebron does not fit Reich's team mantra of toughness, in that he's not mentally tough.

No...he won't be back.

rcubed
11-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Championship!

You are better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brylok
11-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Ebron came here because of Andrew Luck. Andrew quit and Jacoby, bless him, can't pass the ball anywhere near how Luck could. I've enjoyed having Ebron on the Colts and I like having guys with spirit and personality. He really got screwed. I doubt he'll be back and I hope him the best wherever he ends up (unless it's New England or a division rival). It's Randy Travis time...

Racehorse
11-25-2019, 10:18 PM

It is a forum requirement that someone says it.

Chaka
11-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Ebron came here because of Andrew Luck. Andrew quit and Jacoby, bless him, can't pass the ball anywhere near how Luck could. I've enjoyed having Ebron on the Colts and I like having guys with spirit and personality. He really got screwed. I doubt he'll be back and I hope him the best wherever he ends up (unless it's New England or a division rival). It's Randy Travis time...

I agree largely with this sentiment. though I hope there's a better chance that he'll be back than everyone here seems to believe. Why wouldn't we want him back? I'm not arguing the guy is perfect by any stretch, but I think everyone is fixated on a few of his bad plays this year but is forgetting how effective he was last year with a good QB.

He seems like a playmaker to me even though this year wasn't his best (though apparently he's been dealing with the ankle problems all year). He's also still only 26 years old. And it's not like we have another player of his caliber to replace him.

Chaka
11-26-2019, 11:47 AM
I take it back. I now agree Ebron probably won't return. Just read a few articles about his injury. According to Holder, it looks like Ebron made a "business decision" to have the ankle procedure and the Colts weren't thrilled with the idea. Doesn't sound like the recipe for a return.

I find this troubling not only because I'm disappointed that Ebron likely won't return, but also because it suggests to me that Ebron doesn't see much hope for the Colts this season (since I assume he'd do what he could to play if he thought the Colts were a legit contender). Not that the last few games have given us any reason to believe the Colts will make serious noise in the playoffs if they get there, but I expect the players themselves to be believers even if few others are.

Chromeburn
11-26-2019, 11:55 AM

Ebron put himself on IR and the coach’s didn’t seem to think there was a problem and that he has been healthy. The Luck retirement had a lot of far reaching implications. It may affect Ebron’s contract, Funchess’, etc. I think Ebron is gone. I think things were doing more harm to his rep than good. Deon Cain is gone. I think the receivers know that JB isn’t the guy and can’t throw the ball. League is catching up also.

Brylok
11-26-2019, 11:56 AM
I agree largely with this sentiment. though I hope there's a better chance that he'll be back than everyone here seems to believe. Why wouldn't we want him back? I'm not arguing the guy is perfect by any stretch, but I think everyone is fixated on a few of his bad plays this year but is forgetting how effective he was last year with a good QB.

He seems like a playmaker to me even though this year wasn't his best (though apparently he's been dealing with the ankle problems all year). He's also still only 26 years old. And it's not like we have another player of his caliber to replace him.

He's probably going to want more money than the Colts are willing to pay him for the services that he can provide. We have a quarterback who can't throw the ball more than 20 yards. As long as that's the case, it will be very difficult for the Colts to sign any playmakers on the offense. Who would want to come here other than a drafted rookie, undrafted free agent, or an overpaid mercenary? As I said in another post, we could have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss and even they wouldn't be able to do much with the quarterback we have. The Colts aren't going to pay Ebron very much for what he provides right now. Luck isn't coming back, either.

I like Ebron and I would have him back at a reasonable price, but he's useless with Brisket. He knows that, too, and is getting healthy for the free agent market so he can move on with what's left of his career. Good luck to him anywhere outside of the division or New England.

Brylok
11-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Ebron put himself on IR and the coach’s didn’t seem to think there was a problem and that he has been healthy. The Luck retirement had a lot of far reaching implications. It may affect Ebron’s contract, Funchess’, etc. I think Ebron is gone. I think things were doing more harm to his rep than good. Deon Cain is gone. I think the receivers know that JB isn’t the guy and can’t throw the ball. League is catching up also.

I agree 💯 with this. I'd be surprised if Funches plays again this year. Well, in a meaningful game anyway. Not many of those left. One, maybe two? He isn't playing against TN this weekend.

Chaka
11-26-2019, 12:39 PM

What you say here makes practical sense to me. It looks like TE targets and receptions are down substantially from the Luck years, though I'd think that someone like Brissett who seems to favor the short passing game would make more use of his TEs.

Brylok
11-26-2019, 12:43 PM
What you say here makes practical sense to me. It looks like TE targets and receptions are down substantially from the Luck years, though I'd think that someone like Brissett who seems to favor the short passing game would make more use of his TEs.

The TEs are usually blocking since we're a running team now because we can't throw. Ebron is not good at blocking either, so that's another reason he'll be leaving.

Chaka
11-26-2019, 12:54 PM
The TEs are usually blocking since we're a running team now because we can't throw. Ebron is not good at blocking either, so that's another reason he'll be leaving.

Yep. But this discussion is bumming me out.

Chromeburn
11-26-2019, 01:02 PM

Well I’m imagining what it is like in the meetings during the week. The amount of material the fans are putting out on twitter, Reddit, and Colts forums is mounting. I bet there is much more material in the meetings. The mis-reads, wide open guys, Doyle was wide open for several plays in the middle of the field. Having a franchise QB makes FA acquisitions so much easier, these guys want to win. Clearly Ebron wants to move on, and he will get a good payday from someone. New Orleans would be a good destination for him.

These are just the things we are catching. In the meetings they know how the plays are designed, what the progression is. Doyle was wide open on a play and JB decided to run on a bad knee. That tells me he can’t diagnose, or he is seeing ghosts, or he is scared to pull the trigger. The second is fixable, the other two are big issues. But you can’t have a QB that won’t pull the trigger. It’s anathema in the pros, defenses will feast on us. We may start seeing nine guys in the box. It’s not going to get fixed this year unless he just says ‘fuck it’ and starts slinging it. I think his career as a starter is on the line. Ballard is out scouting QBs, I think the writing is on the wall. Not to over use idioms, but ball is in his court, up to JB to improve. There are worse things than being a career backup in the league. Your health might be even better than the starters after retirement.

Chromeburn
11-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Yep. But this discussion is bumming me out.

It’s just what happens when you lose a franchise QB. We have a good GM and staff and they should fix it, just not this season unfortunately.

Maniac
11-26-2019, 01:04 PM
He'll probably sign with the Cowboys. Witten will go back into retirement and they'll sign Ebron.

Chromeburn
11-26-2019, 01:59 PM
He'll probably sign with the Cowboys. Witten will go back into retirement and they'll sign Ebron.

Would be a good spot for him also. I’m not sure about Dak’s touch in his throws. He needs a QB with good touch.

omahacolt
11-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Is he though?

ChoppedWood
11-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Well I’m imagining what it is like in the meetings during the week. The amount of material the fans are putting out on twitter, Reddit, and Colts forums is mounting. I bet there is much more material in the meetings. The mis-reads, wide open guys, Doyle was wide open for several plays in the middle of the field. Having a franchise QB makes FA acquisitions so much easier, these guys want to win. Clearly Ebron wants to move on, and he will get a good payday from someone. New Orleans would be a good destination for him.

These are just the things we are catching. In the meetings they know how the plays are designed, what the progression is. Doyle was wide open on a play and JB decided to run on a bad knee. That tells me he can’t diagnose, or he is seeing ghosts, or he is scared to pull the trigger. The second is fixable, the other two are big issues. But you can’t have a QB that won’t pull the trigger. It’s anathema in the pros, defenses will feast on us. We may start seeing nine guys in the box. It’s not going to get fixed this year unless he just says ‘fuck it’ and starts slinging it. I think his career as a starter is on the line. Ballard is out scouting QBs, I think the writing is on the wall. Not to over use idioms, but ball is in his court, up to JB to improve. There are worse things than being a career backup in the league. Your health might be even better than the starters after retirement.

Agree- last 5 games, there better be 30+ throws a game and they better be risk takers too- gotta prove he can do it in the face of a rapidly declining playoff chance but defenses that are going to be set up to give up yards if he's willing to chuck it. Throw the fucking ball JB!

apballin
11-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Definitely a fallout from Luck, but whatever next man up he wasn’t getting re signed anyway. Don’t need a diva TE anyway crying for the ball and not stepping up when we need him the most

Chromeburn
11-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Agree- last 5 games, there better be 30+ throws a game and they better be risk takers too- gotta prove he can do it in the face of a rapidly declining playoff chance but defenses that are going to be set up to give up yards if he's willing to chuck it. Throw the fucking ball JB!

It’s going to be tough, Ebron drew a lot of attention. Especially in the end zone. Teams had to cover him. Now that coverage is spread out. TY drew coverage fromEbron, Ebron drew coverage from everyone else. JB didn’t like the windows before, well they are gonna get tighter.

I also see some anti Reich stuff on the forums popping up. Reich isn’t the problem. I see some really creative play design coming out of the staff, stuff I haven’t seen before. There are scheming guys open and fooling defenses. But it still comes down to talent. You need talent to win period. And everything funnels through the QB today.

Oldcolt
11-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Stupid to blame Reich in my opinion. We don't have enough playmakers on offense. We have lost to many guys we were counting on without having enough replacements. Honestly losing your top running back, top 3 wide receivers and your top receiving threat at tight end along with your franchise qb is to much for almost any team to overcome. Travis is athletic, we will see if he can run routes and hold onto the ball. Lets hope we made a mistake in cutting him.

Butter
11-27-2019, 01:45 PM

Mostly his inability to consistently catch passes is hurting his reputation.