PDA

View Full Version : 2020 QB prospects

Puck
11-09-2019, 07:01 PM
I thought this needed its own thread so it doesn't get lost in the original threads.

I don't watch much college football but I know a few of you do and have some real knowledge.

The kid from LSU looks good....very good against Alabama

Anyway you smart guys give us the take

smitty46953
11-09-2019, 07:35 PM
My Top 8 are as follows:

Tua Tagovailoa Alabama 6'1" 218
Joe Burrow LSU 6'4" 216
Jalen Hurts Oklahoma 6'2" 210
Jacob Eason Washington 6'6" 228
Justin Herbert Oregon 6'6" 225
Jordan Love Utah State 6'4" 220
Jake Fromm Georgia 6'2" 220
Sam Ehlinger Texas 6'3" 235

Haven't decided just yet on my final ranks :cool:

Puck
11-09-2019, 07:42 PM
As much as I thought that Lamar would be a bust...... His skill set would be amazing with Reich

Who is like him?

smitty46953
11-09-2019, 07:49 PM
As much as I thought that Lamar would be a bust...... His skill set would be amazing with Reich

Who is like him?

Probably Jalen Hurts from Oklahoma, but hard to not like QB's named Joe ? :cool: Actually think Hurts a bit better than Lamar Jackson was coming out of Louisville. IMHO :cool:

Imagine 3-4 QB's go fairly early so might require a trade up. I do like this class better than last year. The WR's and RB's are also better this year.

Puck
11-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Probably Jalen Hurts from Oklahoma, but hard to not like QB's named Joe ? :cool: Actually think Hurts a bit better than Lamar Jackson was coming out of Louisville. IMHO :cool:

Imagine 3-4 QB's go fairly early so might require a trade up. I do like this class better than last year. The WR's and RB's are also better this year.

Probably wont be available for us

I am digging this Burrows kid...... he wont be there either

albany ed
11-09-2019, 07:59 PM
I like Burrows too. Reminds me of Jim Harbaugh. Not the best talent, but a HUGE heart for the game.

smitty46953
11-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Coming in Joe Burrow was 205/260 for 78.8% 2805 yds, 30 TD, 4 INT, 350.6 YPG against good competition. Kid could be 1st QB chosen. To bad Tua playing on sore ankle he is real deal too. :cool:

Spike
11-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Just finished watching the LSU/Bama game. Burrow was a beast. Both he and Tua are going to be fine QB's in the NFL in my opinion. Tua throws a great deep ball. He was hampered with an ankle injury and still played his ass off. Don't think we have a chance at either one though because both will be top 10 draft picks.

If the Colts have a chance, I would take Burrow or Tua over the rest of QB's you listed Smitty. Not that sold on Herby.

smitty46953
11-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Just finished watching the LSU/Bama game. Burrow was a beast. Both he and Tua are going to be fine QB's in the NFL in my opinion. Tua throws a great deep ball. He was hampered with an ankle injury and still played his ass off. Don't think we have a chance at either one though because both will be top 10 draft picks.

If the Colts have a chance, I would take Burrow or Tua over the rest of QB's you listed Smitty. Not that sold on Herby.

I agree with Burrow or Tua :cool:

smitty46953
11-09-2019, 09:44 PM
If you are watching Iowa State vs Oklahoma you can check out Hurts. Also like Cee Dee Lamb the WR from OU :cool:

Spike
11-09-2019, 09:47 PM
If you are watching Iowa State vs Oklahoma you can check out Hurts. Also like Cee Dee Lamb the WR from OU :cool:

Really like Lamb. He could be a damn good piece for our Colts team.

ChoppedWood
11-10-2019, 03:34 AM
Love Burrows- kid is a killer, steps on the throat and stabs you in the gut guy- LOVE IT, and the dude is tough as all fuck.

Hurts- shit, that dude is playing so balls out with fury based on how things played out at Alabama- he is an absolute stud as well.

Both those guys are top 10 IMO.

After that, I like some of those other guys, but not so much that I try to jump up to get them by sacrificing other areas.

njcoltfan
11-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Colts brass love Brissett, doubt they try to draft his replacement this year.

Luck4Reich
11-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Colts brass love Brissett, doubt they try to draft his replacement this year.

None of us know how Ballard really feels about JB. Of course he is going to say great things about him. What else would they say when that is the only option at the moment. If you believe he and Reich are not looking at and talking about QBs in the next draft and who might be a best fit you are delusional.

If by some chance let's say you were right then I dont know if I want Ballard as a GM because it's obvious that JB is not the type of QB that will get you next level.

And let's say all things lined up and JB had a Flacco season and Colts win 1 Superbowl? Irsay wants to win multiple SuperBowls. Ballard knows he cant win multiple with JB. Reich has to know as well.

So yes they are looking at a QB in next draft.

njcoltfan
11-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Might be looking, won’t draft one this year, maybe next

omahacolt
11-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Probably wont be available for us

I am digging this Burrows kid...... he wont be there either

Going up to get a qb should be on the table

Luck4Reich
11-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Going up to get a qb should be on the table

Most definitely.

Why do people think they are just going to be satisfied with JB?

smitty46953
11-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Depending on who is available and possible trading partners I would consider moving up a bit for a QB. We have the Redskins 2nd and the Jets 2nd sixth-round selection. :cool:

Washington traded a second-round selection and a 2019 second-round selection to Indianapolis in exchange for a 2019 first-round selection

The New York Jets traded their 2nd sixth-round selection to Indianapolis in exchange for cornerback Nate Hairston

Not sure what this will bring: Miami traded an undisclosed 2020 NFL Draft pick to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for an undisclosed conditional 2020 NFL Draft pick and center/guard Evan Boehm

Puck
11-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Is JB signed through next season? Or just this one

smitty46953
11-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Is JB signed through next season? Or just this one

Through 2020
Jacoby Brissett signed a 2 year, $30,000,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including a $13,000,000 signing bonus, $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.

Puck
11-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Through 2020
Jacoby Brissett signed a 2 year, $30,000,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including a $13,000,000 signing bonus, $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.

So. He "could" be traded if we draft a QB.

Noe of that is gonna happen though

smitty46953
11-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Or start one more year while new guy learns system... :cool:

omahacolt
11-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Yeah but he also affords is the ability to take a Jordan Love like kid and see if he can develop

TheMugwump
11-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Haven't seen more than one game of his this season, but in past seasons, I like the Texas QB Ehlinger's compete. He's a scrapper with some talent. Reminds me of Harbaugh.

Spike
11-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Haven't seen more than one game of his this season, but in past seasons, I like the Texas QB Ehlinger's compete. He's a scrapper with some talent. Reminds me of Harbaugh.

I've seen him more than once. Let him go bust for some other team.

Chromeburn
11-10-2019, 08:50 PM

Who is like him?

Lamar was pretty unique even in the diverse realm of college QBs. He gave Clemson fits in several games. I didn’t think he would make it either though because his passing game never seemed to improve at Louisville.

Chromeburn
11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
My Top 8 are as follows:

Joe Burrow LSU 6'4" 216

There are some more to add to this list. Not first rounders.

Kellen Mond T A&M 6’4
Steven Montez. Colorado 6’5
KJ Costello Stanford 6’5
Nate Stanley Iowa 6’4

There are some more developmental guys and sleepers as well.

smitty46953
11-10-2019, 09:28 PM
There are some more to add to this list. Not first rounders.

Kellen Mond T A&M 6’4

Steven Montez. Colorado 6’5

KJ Costello Stanford 6’5

Nate Stanley Iowa 6’4

There are some more developmental guys and sleepers as well.I am in a 32 team dynasty league along with vevejones. I have list of top 40 draft prospects for every position that I maintain throughout the year with exception of OL. Rankings constantly change. Players I listed are only ones I feel will have a shot at going top 2 rounds. IMHO Iimagine Bengals Dolphins both go QB early. We could possibly move up to grab one of the next guys? I think Burrow goes to Bengals and Tua to the Dolphins. My way to early prediction.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chromeburn
11-10-2019, 10:49 PM
I am in a 32 team dynasty league along with vevejones. I have list of top 40 draft prospects for every position that I maintain throughout the year with exception of OL. Rankings constantly change. Players I listed are only ones I feel will have a shot at going top 2 rounds. IMHO Iimagine Bengals Dolphins both go QB early. We could possibly move up to grab one of the next guys? I think Burrow goes to Bengals and Tua to the Dolphins. My way to early prediction.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I see a lot of depth in this class, not necessarily a lot of talent at the top. I think s lot of the QBs are flawed in some way or another and see them grouped similarly. Probably best to find a guy that fits your system.

CanuckColt
11-10-2019, 11:40 PM
I would take Herbert if he dropped down within range of us moving up.

Dam8610
11-11-2019, 06:11 PM
My Top 8 are as follows:

Joe Burrow LSU 6'4" 216

I haven't done a deep dive yet on any of them, but what I've seen of Burrow really impresses me. He made so many elite NFL level throws against Alabama. Accuracy and ball placement have been off the charts good based on what I've seen of him. Of course if the Colts want him, they'll probably have to give up a lot of draft capital to get him.

Also, I don't have a good reason for saying it right now and I could entirely change my mind after watching him, but something about Tua makes me think he'll bust. Part of it I think is that too many of his big plays are him standing in a clean pocket for 5+ seconds to hit a deep ball for a big play or a score. He's not likely to have that luxury in the NFL, and he may not respond well to that.

Dewey 5
11-11-2019, 09:08 PM
I haven't done a deep dive yet on any of them, but what I've seen of Burrow really impresses me. He made so many elite NFL level throws against Alabama. Accuracy and ball placement have been off the charts good based on what I've seen of him. Of course if the Colts want him, they'll probably have to give up a lot of draft capital to get him.

Also, I don't have a good reason for saying it right now and I could entirely change my mind after watching him, but something about Tua makes me think he'll bust. Part of it I think is that too many of his big plays are him standing in a clean pocket for 5+ seconds to hit a deep ball for a big play or a score. He's not likely to have that luxury in the NFL, and he may not respond well to that.

I agree about Tua. Not a fan.

smitty46953
11-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Personally I like Burrow :cool:

Chromeburn
11-12-2019, 11:52 AM
I would take Herbert if he dropped down within range of us moving up.

I’ve seen a lot of Herbert since I watch a lot of PAC 12. He disappears more than he should. The potential and talent is there. Just wondering why it’s happening. He did not rise to the occasion against Auburn and that worried me.

Chromeburn
11-12-2019, 11:53 AM

I was raving about him at the beginning of the season after watching him against Texas. He stepped up in the pocket well and found guys with great accuracy when under pressure. Stood in the pocket and threw even when a hit was coming. I like his quick decision making and accuracy, I think accuracy is the most important trait for a QB today. Also teammates seem to love him. I think he has played himself into the top ten though and perhaps past us.

Oh I’m not sold on Tua either.

smitty46953
11-12-2019, 11:59 AM
I’ve seen a lot of Herbert since I watch a lot of PAC 12. He disappears more than he should. The potential and talent is there. Just wondering why it’s happening. He did not rise to the occasion against Auburn and that worried me.

I agree Herbert has all the potential of the traditional QB, size 6'6" 225#.
Has flashes of greatness then nothing. Perhaps with coaching ? :cool:

Spike
11-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Burrow is a beast again tonight. Damn, I would love to have that guy on the Colts, won't happen though.

Tua got fucked up today, may be gone for the season. Reports are that he has a dislocated hip.

Spike
11-16-2019, 09:00 PM

Totally agree, not a fan of Herby.

Chromeburn
11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Burrow is a beast again tonight. Damn, I would love to have that guy on the Colts, won't happen though.

Tua got fucked up today, may be gone for the season. Reports are that he has a dislocated hip.

He’s done for the year. Wonder if that will affect his stock.

JAFF
11-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Depends on the physical at the combine

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-17-2019, 01:53 PM

There is a lot of speculation that he may stay at Bama for his Senior year and delay entering the NFL draft.

Racehorse
11-17-2019, 05:09 PM
There is a lot of speculation that he may stay at Bama for his Senior year and delay entering the NFL draft.

Well, it's stay or Miami.

Chromeburn
11-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Well, it's stay or Miami.

Maybe, Miami might not have the first pick and they might take Tua. As a player, can be worse places to play.

Dewey 5
11-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Skins lose to the Jets. That 2nd round pick is looking good. Someone like Nate Stanley will be available in the 2nd & I’ve been keeping my eye on him. Big strong kid with a solid arm. Compares to Rothlisberger but will need to sit a year or two.

VeveJones007
11-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Yeah but he also affords is the ability to take a Jordan Love like kid and see if he can develop

FWIW, Zach Hicks heard that Ballard was high on Love back in August. Love is also attainable--no way the Colts can get into position for Burrow.

Chromeburn
11-17-2019, 08:42 PM
FWIW, Zach Hicks heard that Ballard was high on Love back in August. Love is also attainable--no way the Colts can get into position for Burrow.

Love reminds me of Brisset a little.

omahacolt
11-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Love reminds me of Brisset a little.

How?

albany ed
11-18-2019, 10:32 AM
What about Ehrlinger from Texas? Does anyone have inside knowledge/opinions on this kid?

HoosierinFL
11-18-2019, 10:51 AM
How?

Yea I'm not seeing it. I just watched some highlight clips of him on youtube, obv with the realization you can only get a small snapshot of a player that way. But I see little JB in his game except maybe pocket presence.
He reminds me more of a taller Russell Wilson. Best trait appear to be a real nice touch and placement on deep balls. He has a touch of the improvisation ability of Mahomes, but just a touch.

One problem with the highlights is that on a lot of them, his receivers were just wide open, and he has a couple that are pretty tall, and he was just able to throw to his first read on all these plays. So these were easy targets, but he did hit his guys in stride and landed some really nice long passes. I just wanna see more of his ability to make tighter throws, read through progressions when guys aren't wide open.

Chromeburn
11-18-2019, 04:23 PM
How?

Height and weight are similar. He can roll out and is accurate on the run. Brisset might be a bit heavier, but Love could probably get as big with an off-season. Also arm strength and zip on the ball is similar. Love has a very strong arm. Both stand tall in the pocket and can scan the field. Good throwing motion.

Differences; Love takes more risks and will stare down a receiver, but not sure if that is because he doesn't have much talent around him. He does make bad decisions and will turn the ball over. He does seem to diagnose quickly and will anticipate his guy getting open. Not afraid to use his arm strength to thread the needle. Also can throw with some touch and is accurate short to medium range.

However, saw on the wire that he is now hurt

Chromeburn
11-18-2019, 04:34 PM
What about Ehrlinger from Texas? Does anyone have inside knowledge/opinions on this kid?

Seems like a grinder. Tough kid. Reminds me of Harbaugh a little. He struggles with accuracy though unless it is a slant or a deep ball. Everything in between he can be hit or miss. He needs big receivers that have a big wingspan. Also his running style will get him injured in the pros.

Spike
11-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Herby looking terrible tonight against the Arizona Sun Devils.

Spike
11-24-2019, 02:13 AM
Love not looking too good either.

Oldcolt
11-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Not sure which of these guys have a better upside than Brissett. Ballard isn't spending a high draft pick on a qb unless he is convinced. We need to get Brissett to open it up. Is that the fault of Brissett or of Reich? When you call runs almost 2-1 it makes me think that both have a hand in it.

Chromeburn
11-24-2019, 10:40 AM
No one has mentioned Jake Fromm. Fromm took the job from Eason and Eason never got it back. Doesn’t have the physical traits or arm, but does have the intangibles. There is also Hurts and some other QBs.

Maybe it’s not this year either. Should be some decent QBs next year. That USC QB looks like he will be good, think he is a freshman though.

If we were going to trade up, I would trade up for Chase Young. That guy will be a monster.

Puck
11-24-2019, 12:38 PM
apparently Ballard was at the Utah State game to watch Love yesterday . Can't find the link right now

Spike
11-24-2019, 12:42 PM
No one has mentioned Jake Fromm. Fromm took the job from Eason and Eason never got it back. Doesn’t have the physical traits or arm, but does have the intangibles. There is also Hurts and some other QBs.

Maybe it’s not this year either. Should be some decent QBs next year. That USC QB looks like he will be good, think he is a freshman though.

If we were going to trade up, I would trade up for Chase Young. That guy will be a monster.

Yeah, Young is a pass rushing beast.

Spike
11-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Yep, Lawrence and Fields probably top the list.

Dewey 5
11-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Yeah, Young is a pass rushing beast.

Young is easily the best player in the country. A team would be beyond dumb to trade away an opportunity to get him.

Chromeburn
11-25-2019, 06:02 PM
apparently Ballard was at the Utah State game to watch Love yesterday . Can't find the link right now

Guess he has been to see him four times this year. That is a lot.

smitty46953
11-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Not sold on drafting a QB, but should the Colts go that way.
My thoughts are that I don't get the love for Jordan Love, Utah State (6'4" - 220) he is a 61-percent passer with a 14-15 TD-INT ratio.
If he is available and could very well be, I would much rather grab Jalen Hurts Oklahoma (6'2" - 210) who has a 71.4 percent passer with a 30-6 TD-INT ratio. Also Hurts is very mobile rushing for 1156 yards so far this season. :cool:

HoosierinFL
11-27-2019, 03:26 PM
Not sold on drafting a QB, but should the Colts go that way.
My thoughts are that I don't get the love for Jordan Love, Utah State (6'4" - 220) he is a 61-percent passer with a 14-15 TD-INT ratio.
If he is available and could very well be, I would much rather grab Jalen Hurts Oklahoma (6'2" - 210) who has a 71.4 percent passer with a 30-6 TD-INT ratio. Also Hurts is very mobile rushing for 1156 yards so far this season. :cool:

I saw an analysis of Love on youtube suggesting he has a tendency to lock on to receivers and not read defenses or make progressions.
That is consistent with the highlight reel I watched where all his big plays came when the receivers were just stupidly wide open, which could imply that he doesn't make big plays when the coverage is better.
We don't need a QB like that!

Racehorse
11-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Guess he has been to see him four times this year. That is a lot.

I wonder if he was there to watch someone else, but is saying Love to throw people off a bit.

Dewey 5
11-27-2019, 11:26 PM
I wonder if he was there to watch someone else, but is saying Love to throw people off a bit.

When you go to four Utah St. games you’re only there to focus on one guy. I’m convinced that Ballard is doing some hard scouting on Love.

VeveJones007
11-28-2019, 12:00 AM
When you go to four Utah St. games you’re only there to focus on one guy. I’m convinced that Ballard is doing some hard scouting on Love.

I’m sure the Colts will heavily evaluate the QBs in this draft. Whether or not those players pass that evaluation is another story. We’ll see.

JAFF
11-28-2019, 12:00 AM

The Mountain West has some players worth drafting, not just Love

Chromeburn
11-28-2019, 04:32 AM

Utah St vs LSU sure. Utah St vs Fresno probably not. I don’t think there is anyone else on that squad to scout. Not for the GM personally to go. I thought about a smokescreen too. Supposedly they were interested in Jeffrey Simmons last year and Tennessee got him. So I wonder if he is throwing those out. But not four times.

smitty46953
11-28-2019, 10:17 AM
If I recall correctly after initial visit to Notre Dame with Nelson, the Colts never contacted him again until they announced his name at draft? Lot of smoke by most teams hiding their true intentions. :cool:

Racehorse
11-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Anyone else on that squad?

Oldcolt
11-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Holder reported that Ballard was originally credentialed for Boise State-Utah State game but went to another game instead. Reich seems to think he can win with Brissett. He may be right about that but the margin for error will be small. I don't think management is freaking out about Brissett as much as doing their due diligence. That is a good thing for this team long term.

rcubed
11-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Holder reported that Ballard was originally credentialed for Boise State-Utah State game but went to another game instead. Reich seems to think he can win with Brissett. He may be right about that but the margin for error will be small. I don't think management is freaking out about Brissett as much as doing their due diligence. That is a good thing for this team long term.

Agree. I think ballard is evaluating his options. If someone he likes is there at our draft spot he takes the QB. If not we roll another year with JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colt Classic
11-28-2019, 06:56 PM

No inside knowledge, but he seems like the guy the announcers hype just so they can show the picture of him as a baby throwing up the hook 'em horns sign. I don't feel like he's worth it.