Pez
10-30-2019, 06:15 AM
So um, yea, crickets....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 11:32 AM
So um, yea, crickets....

I'm sure there were calls made and received. No deals though. Sounds like a lot of teams were asking too high a price. I wonder what the Jets wanted for Jamal Adams.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-30-2019, 11:39 AM
I wonder what the Jets wanted for Jamal Adams.

Jets were asking for a 1st and two 2nd's per Rapoport.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1189301235935010817

The #Cowboys engaged in talks with the #Jets on S Jamal Adams and NYJ was only willing to part with Adams for a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders, per me and @SlaterNFL. That is a LOT and shows Adams’ value.

Spike
10-30-2019, 12:28 PM

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1189301235935010817

Fuck that. Keep him Jets.

Pez
10-30-2019, 01:00 PM

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1189301235935010817Ya, would rather have those picks. Ballard would give away the top third of his draft.

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Ya, would rather have those picks. Ballard would give away the top third of his draft.

Well we don’t really need him and Cowboys couldn’t afford him once his next contract comes up.

Oldcolt
10-30-2019, 03:05 PM
With the way Ballard/Reich draft (Ballard gets guys that fit the coaching schemes) and our coaches develop I want them to hold onto all the draft choices they can

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 04:15 PM
With the way Ballard/Reich draft (Ballard gets guys that fit the coaching schemes) and our coaches develop I want them to hold onto all the draft choices they can

Yeah, Jamal Adams would be better than any safety we drafted with those picks. But we need a good pass rusher, we are ok at safety.

Oldcolt
10-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Jamal Adams would be better than any safety we drafted with those picks. But we need a good pass rusher, we are ok at safety.

Not only that but we need to start developing players to replace guys when their contracts come up. We wont be able to sign everyone.

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Not only that but we need to start developing players to replace guys when their contracts come up. We wont be able to sign everyone.

That’s about the last thing I’m worried about. We have a ton of money. We could sign everyone right now if we wanted. I’m more worried about oline depth. And the quality of offensive weapons.

We could use an injection of star power though. We have a lot of good guys. But how many dominant players? Nelson? TY?

Racehorse
10-30-2019, 05:28 PM
I think this is a sign that Ballard sees us as a year or two away from the big prize. I think he is correct.

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 06:11 PM
I think this is a sign that Ballard sees us as a year or two away from the big prize. I think he is correct.

We are currently 2nd in the AFC. We were a playoff team last year. This just doesn’t hold water with me.

ChoppedWood
10-30-2019, 06:23 PM
I think we are in the hunt- toward the bottom but in the hunt. One of the things I really like about us- we seem to have an abundance of depth in a lot of places- just not at the pivotal points of OL and DL, and Reich is getting a lot of youngsters some serious playing time so they are growing if required to be called upon late in the year. If we can keep from suffering injuries along the lines and there are a couple more key injuries to foes- ala Watt, I like our chances to be in the AFCG just as well as pretty much anyone in the AFC this side of the Cheats.

Pez
10-30-2019, 07:32 PM
I think we are in the hunt- toward the bottom but in the hunt. One of the things I really like about us- we seem to have an abundance of depth in a lot of places- just not at the pivotal points of OL and DL, and Reich is getting a lot of youngsters some serious playing time so they are growing if required to be called upon late in the year. If we can keep from suffering injuries along the lines and there are a couple more key injuries to foes- ala Watt, I like our chances to be in the AFCG just as well as pretty much anyone in the AFC this side of the Cheats.It would be beautiful if the cheats lose to the ravens in the divisional round.

Chromeburn
10-30-2019, 07:55 PM
It would be beautiful if the cheats lose to the ravens in the divisional round.

Ravens have always traditionally played them tough. Their defense is pretty good though.

ChoppedWood
10-30-2019, 09:44 PM
It would be beautiful if the cheats lose to the ravens in the divisional round.

No shit, looking forward to Sunday night. Interested to see if Jackson can give them difficulty or not on the defensive end.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Reich is getting a lot of youngsters some serious playing time so they are growing if required to be called upon late in the year.

Saw the below stat this morning. Of the teams on the list, only the Colts and Vikings have records over .500 at the present time.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1189912265333657600

Teams with the most snaps played by rookies this season:

1. Giants: 2,907
2. Jaguars: 2,418
3. Raiders: 2,352
4. Cardinals: 2,228
5. Redskins: 2,177
6. Broncos: 1,985
7. Dolphins: 1,974
8. Colts: 1,703
9. Vikings: 1,634
10. Lions: 1,605

Racehorse
10-31-2019, 04:44 PM
We are currently 2nd in the AFC. We were a playoff team last year. This just doesn’t hold water with me.

We are number 2, but barely. The Cheats are very good, and will be a tough out, so you push the chips forward and hope to get over the hump next year. No use ruining the influx of young talent by trading away picks. Stick to the process.

Chromeburn
10-31-2019, 04:59 PM
We are number 2, but barely. The Cheats are very good, and will be a tough out, so you push the chips forward and hope to get over the hump next year. No use ruining the influx of young talent by trading away picks. Stick to the process.

What process? What is better next year that doesn't make us viable this year?

Colt Classic
10-31-2019, 06:00 PM

No shit. If you're going to cower in fear over the Patriots and not go for it until Brady retires then you might as well close up shop until then. They can be defeated. Any "process" is just a long con marketing term to sucker the masses into being ok with 10-6 and a first or second round exit. They don't have to be the clear-cut best team in order to have a shot at the Super Bowl. Do people think the 9-7 Giants should've stuck to the process when they beat New England here in the Super Bowl?

Pez
10-31-2019, 07:01 PM
No shit. If you're going to cower in fear over the Patriots and not go for it until Brady retires then you might as well close up shop until then. They can be defeated. Any "process" is just a long con marketing term to sucker the masses into being ok with 10-6 and a first or second round exit. They don't have to be the clear-cut best team in order to have a shot at the Super Bowl. Do people think the 9-7 Giants should've stuck to the process when they beat New England here in the Super Bowl?Preach...

Racehorse
10-31-2019, 07:44 PM

Trading our first and two seconds is something that could set us back. That was what I was referring to. As to the following poster who mentioned Brady, that dude is over the hill. He doesn't scare me. That defense is solid, and BB is a very good coach. I just think we are about to go on a long run soon, and think that we shouldn't make a move to get us close instead of over the top.

Chromeburn
10-31-2019, 09:21 PM
Trading our first and two seconds is something that could set us back. That was what I was referring to. As to the following poster who mentioned Brady, that dude is over the hill. He doesn't scare me. That defense is solid, and BB is a very good coach. I just think we are about to go on a long run soon, and think that we shouldn't make a move to get us close instead of over the top.

I don’t think anyone advocated trading for Adams, I certainly wasn’t. But I think this fanbase has been spoiled by long stretches of success. Most teams have a window of a year or two unless you have a generational QB. I like Ballard, but it almost seems this fanbase wants to stay in the rebuilding window and don’t want to admit that this team is in the hunt. No one wants to put pressure on this team to win. Well we went through Manning, 1 Super Bowl, went through Luck, couple playoff wins and that’s all. 1 SB win from two generational QBs. It’s time to show a sense of urgency and stop pushing today off for tomorrow. What’s that old story about the baseball player waiting for the perfect pitch?

A lot can happen in a season, pats are one play away from a key injury. Or a bad day away from a loss. But we can’t dictate our chances based on another team. Our team isn’t perfect, but it’s good. I wouldn’t dismiss this year because the next isn’t guaranteed.

Puck
10-31-2019, 09:48 PM
I don’t think anyone advocated trading for Adams, I certainly wasn’t. But I think this fanbase has been spoiled by long stretches of success. Most teams have a window of a year or two unless you have a generational QB. I like Ballard, but it almost seems this fanbase wants to stay in the rebuilding window and don’t want to admit that this team is in the hunt. No one wants to put pressure on this team to win. Well we went through Manning, 1 Super Bowl, went through Luck, couple playoff wins and that’s all. 1 SB win from two generational QBs. It’s time to show a sense of urgency and stop pushing today off for tomorrow. What’s that old story about the baseball player waiting for the perfect pitch?

A lot can happen in a season, pats are one play away from a key injury. Or a bad day away from a loss. But we can’t dictate our chances based on another team. Our team isn’t perfect, but it’s good. I wouldn’t dismiss this year because the next isn’t guaranteed.

Brissett is in basically his rookie yr + 1

No one thought we were in full go with Luck his rookie yr . We have a couple of yrs to get to JB's prime. He is not there yet

So less urgency and lets keep building and shocking people

omahacolt
10-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Brissett is in basically his rookie yr + 1

No one thought we were in full go with Luck his rookie yr . We have a couple of yrs to get to JB's prime. He is not there yet

So less urgency and lets keep building and shocking people

He isn’t even remotely in his rookie year. That is absurd

Puck
10-31-2019, 10:18 PM
He isn’t even remotely in his rookie year. That is absurd

I said plus 1 as a starter he is..... cant count what pagshit put on him

Chromeburn
11-01-2019, 12:46 AM
I said plus 1 as a starter he is..... cant count what pagshit put on him

He’s in his 4th year. Dude will be 27 next month. Maybe year two of starting, but that is very far removed from a second year rookie like Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold.

Just because we put more emphasis on winning now doesn’t mean we suddenly stop drafting people or stop adding to the team.

Racehorse
11-01-2019, 06:41 AM
He’s in his 4th year. Dude will be 27 next month. Maybe year two of starting, but that is very far removed from a second year rookie like Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold.

Just because we put more emphasis on winning now doesn’t mean we suddenly stop drafting people or stop adding to the team.

All I am saying is that the asking prices seemed to be very high this year. I like what this team is doing this year and think we could make it deep into the playoffs with good fortune. Next year could be the year for us to get over the hump.

Pez
11-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Seems like there is a good bit of misunderstanding in this thread. I dont think anyone here is saying that because a sb run is incredibly improbable this year that we should not play to win.

I'm looking forward to the Steelers game. I want to see us match up against a high quality defense in a stadium where the colts have only won twice.

ChoppedWood
11-01-2019, 08:15 AM
I am in the camp that we are *this* close and a viable name in the 5-8 that have any type of chance of playing for the title this year. I LOVE what Ballard has done with the talent- we are fast, athletic as hell, and as noted, we have a LOT of leaders (some stat from earlier this year shed light on how many college team captains he has brought into the fray= SMART management). That said, I think we face the reality of falling out of that small group rather easily THIS year just because we are so young and not really battle tested- think there's the possibility of some guys wilting a little bit if things turn south for 2-3 games straight.

I think our DL depth is most problematic. So much so that when Autry was down on the ground flipping around- I thought the season was shot. The same would be said for me on the OL end of things- from what I saw in the PS, there is NO ONE on the bench that I think could come close to filling in for ANY of our starters and that bar is not super high in terms of Glowinski so to me that says a lot about the thin state of things there.

Obviously DE is a ?- what are we going to get opposite of Houston (I am really cool with his production, he is playing the position really well both R and P IMO). Bonagu has started to show something and looks to be progressing, Sheard is clearly a SOLID guy- the question is when and WHAT are we gonna get out of Lewis? My hunch is that Ballard looks at those three and feels they give us enough to not warrant giving away picks for a guy like Miller (a hero's ransom) or Beasley (more of a gamble that might not cost as much but also may pay NO dividends) to try to make a "deep run" at it this year. So far, no reason not to trust the guys decisions.

Pez
11-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Well said. Only a couple points:

I concur with you on DL depth. I agree with your assessment that we need to address this, but perhaps not through a trade. I think this will (should) be Ballard's target in both the draft and even in FA where he's not been known for being incredibly active.

Also, I am not as down on Glowinski as others. I think this year and next will be very telling. He's got great speed, I just think he's late in developing. Seattle moved him to RG in 2016, the only year he started all 16 games (I think they had to adjust around Terry Poole goinf on IR).

Fitness might be an issue as well, he's rarely played every snap in his career. I think he needs to make some adjustments and will develop into a quality player.

Chromeburn
11-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Every team has depth issues. Some are very top heavy, we are not. We are not deep on oline, but no team is. Most teams are just trying to put a solid oline together period. See what Houston did just to get a LT and they solidified some. Frankly, everyone laughed but their coach has made better moves than their GM did. At least he is fixing issues.

But no one wants to trade away 1st and 2nd round picks for a guy. However, would Derek Wolfe be worth a 4th? A 5th? There are deals to be made that you can strengthen a position. Would a 4th rounder have as much impact as a Wolfe? Unlikely. We need strong dline play because our LB’s, besides Adams, are a bunch of run around blocks guys. Okereke and Leonard are liabilities against the run when out there. So they need to be protected. Why Things improved so much with Sheard back.

Also, we are sitting on a shit ton of cap space and may enter yet another year at the top. Doesn’t mean you have to spend it all on one or two guys. But it also means we shouldn’t be entering the season with big weaknesses. We blew our last shot with Luck hiding under the rebuilding banner. I don’t want to see more chances pissed away because we were young. Seattle won it when their defense was young, they assumed a dynasty, all that happened was their guys got old.

Racehorse
11-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Every team has depth issues. Some are very top heavy, we are not. We are not deep on oline, but no team is. Most teams are just trying to put a solid oline together period. See what Houston did just to get a LT and they solidified some. Frankly, everyone laughed but their coach has made better moves than their GM did. At least he is fixing issues.

But no one wants to trade away 1st and 2nd round picks for a guy. However, would Derek Wolfe be worth a 4th? A 5th? There are deals to be made that you can strengthen a position. Would a 4th rounder have as much impact as a Wolfe? Unlikely. We need strong dline play because our LB’s, besides Adams, are a bunch of run around blocks guys. Okereke and Leonard are liabilities against the run when out there. So they need to be protected. Why Things improved so much with Sheard back.

Also, we are sitting on a shit ton of cap space and may enter yet another year at the top. Doesn’t mean you have to spend it all on one or two guys. But it also means we shouldn’t be entering the season with big weaknesses. We blew our last shot with Luck hiding under the rebuilding banner. I don’t want to see more chances pissed away because we were young. Seattle won it when their defense was young, they assumed a dynasty, all that happened was their guys got old.
I actually agree with you. This is why I say we are a year away. I see Ballard getting a good free agent to come in and fill a need next year. I also think we will see huge gains by some young guys and will be one of three to six teams that have a legit shot next year. I am hopeful that we can get a good postseason run this year, but I don’t see a SB win yet.

Also, consider what it would say to the locker room if he traded away picks to replace a guy. Yes, it would give credence to the mantra that they have to earn it, but it also tells a young guy that they don’t see him as a piece going forward. That could have a ripple effect on others.

Chromeburn
11-01-2019, 05:11 PM
I actually agree with you. This is why I say we are a year away. I see Ballard getting a good free agent to come in and fill a need next year. I also think we will see huge gains by some young guys and will be one of three to six teams that have a legit shot next year. I am hopeful that we can get a good postseason run this year, but I don’t see a SB win yet.

Also, consider what it would say to the locker room if he traded away picks to replace a guy. Yes, it would give credence to the mantra that they have to earn it, but it also tells a young guy that they don’t see him as a piece going forward. That could have a ripple effect on others.

Maybe they will be better next year, maybe they won’t. But we all thought they would be a lot better this year and then Luck retires. Just can’t take these chances for granted anymore. Don’t know what next year will hold.