PDA

View Full Version : quick thoughts on the atlanta jaguars?

omahacolt
09-22-2019, 04:58 PM
1) the falcons reminded me of the del rio jags teams. just constantly shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties or mistakes. that was brutal. if you are a falcons fan that is.

2) i absolutely love Reich. his aggressiveness will not be in our favor at times but i have no issue with anything he has done this year. how refreshing it is to have an actual coach that knows what he is doing. generally keeps the colts in good down and distances. has plays ready when we need something different and smart. understand when to line up and smash dudes. just love the guy.

3) brissett was great today. passes were pretty accurate except for a couple back shoulder throws. made smart decisions. got the ball out quick. avoided pressure many times. his pocket presence is so much better than it was before. he takes care of the ball. he keeps this up i will stop wanting a qb early. still want jordan love though.

4) ty hilton is a fucking gamer. the dude has been a blast to watch since his rookie year. and he isn't a fucking head case. going down with a quad injury is not good. i expect him to miss time. obviously don't know how bad it is but if he doesn't let it heal it will just linger all year. hopefully just a mild sprain.

5) we really need a wr to step up. who will do it? probably nobody to be honest. cain isn't doing much. campbell will probably be dynamic at times but that is a tough spot for a rookie. i expect the tight ends, running game and smart playcalling will have to get us by.

6) the te's were awesome. even cox making some big boy catch and runs. love to see them step up.

7) big boy Q pulling and a fucking cb stands in his way. that shit is nightmare educing.

8) AC had a bad game. haven't seen him struggle that much in awhile. overall i thought they played well as a unit except for a small time where they were just getting burned. they corrected and got the job done. i will look more into this in the all 22 but i give them a B for the game.

9) mack was really good i thought. what is up with his speed? his rookie year he would have been to the house. i know he is dinged up but damn.

10) hines made a couple huge plays as you all saw. i believe he needed that. a backup rb that isn't anything special on special teams and not producing on game days will be replaced. he played like he had something to lose. wilkins was very bleh. didn't have much to work with.

11) anyone see where justin houston went to? i know he got chipped some but come on man.

12) we really need more from our young rushers. this pass rush is killing us at times. hunt has disappeared. grover stewart is jut a guy. lewis is just a dude. autry is good. turay makes a play and then you forget he is on the team.

13) run d was suspect. probably will be all year. i worried about our dline coming in and it looks to be for good reason. we really need to upgrade here. badly.

14) lbers can't cover. fall for run fakes bad. that said okereke and walker did have some nice plays. i really think okereke might have a bright future.

16) quincy wilson making a dumb play is probably just going to be a norm. kenny moore open field tackling is beautiful. rock and desir are solid.

17) atta boy geathers on that pick. but you have to get over to jones on that td. he is julio jones.

18) hooker left the field but wasn't injured? he have to shit or something? curious what that was about.

19) i played the te hooper on every fantasy league i could. i knew he was going to feast.

20) overall i think we got lucky as well as played some damn good football. these are the games you have to win. i do like the mental makeup of this team. that is a credit to the coaches imo.

21) hit me up on twitter. my handle is @damputsthingsinhisbutt

Colt Classic
09-22-2019, 05:08 PM
I think the guy to step up is Ebron (not saying that he hasn't). Have more feature plays for Ebron that would have been calls for TY. Moe-Allie then steps in to Ebron's role and Doyle is still there too. I don't think it's necessary for Cain to suddenly have 6 catches for 140 yards and 2 TD's, but it would be a nice surprise.

Racehorse
09-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Did Chester play today?

Pez
09-22-2019, 05:20 PM
I thought ya sin had a rough day, but also had a tough job across from Jones

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ukcolt
09-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Did Funchess play either?

ukcolt
09-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Forget that forgot about his injury against the Chargers!

YDFL Commish
09-22-2019, 05:30 PM
I thought ya sin had a rough day, but also had a tough job across from Jones

Everybody does. He's a fukn beast!

Chromeburn
09-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Did Funchess play either?

Funchess is hurt and on IR.

That Kenny Moore tackle was great.

If Grady Jarret is a FA next year we should throw dump trucks full of money at him.

We have a lot of decent to good players on this team, but not many stars. TY, maybe Ebron. After that I don’t know.

Big name WRs always shine against us, maybe it’s a lack of a shut down corner. But we can never seem to take away a team’s strength. We just kind of tolerate it or allow it to burn its self out from all the success.

I like Brisset’s poise and escapability. He seems to be getting better, I am cautiously optimistic. I notice he sits in the 15-20 range statistically. I still want to see more of him. I want to see some blow up games. Then I may ease up looking at QBs in the draft. He is showing more touch on throws. Needs to lead his receivers a bit more. Let them run to it. Holds onto that ball too much scanning the field. Gotta get it out. When he does good things happen.

Hunt has disappeared, was he a one year wonder. Still early in the season though.

Team seems to be playing smarter football from week one. If we are missing TY for awhile, they will have to figure something out. Lean on the TEs more, that is where the experience is.

I’m not sure about this defense, those zones are to easy to pick apart. Usually if a guy is in your zone you cover him. But we seem more interested in staying in a spot then running to the ball after it’s thrown.

Luck4Reich
09-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Brissett did a great job of spreading the ball around and getting everyone involved. Great performance by him today.

YDFL Commish
09-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Hunt has disappeared, was he a one year wonder. Still early in the season though.

This narrative is absolutely true. But didn't he do most of his damage last season before they moved him to NT?

bertjones
09-22-2019, 06:11 PM
I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that the Colts have a QB
and should use their upcoming draft picks on defense( still at least a couple
of players away from being a strong unit) and Wr.
Only thing I'd add to Omahas post is that it felt nice to be not
screwed over by an officiating crew.

omahacolt
09-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Did Chester play today?

Yes. Not much

omahacolt
09-22-2019, 06:16 PM
This narrative is absolutely true. But didn't he do most of his damage last season before they moved him to NT?

Some of it. He was still good at nt for awhile

Oldcolt
09-22-2019, 06:21 PM
I love Reich. Young qb, he starts out on the road with conservative game plan so Jacoby doesn’t lose confidence then slowly starts to open it up when we get home. It’s a thing of beauty to watch

Defense is kinda where you would expect it to be We have such a young defense and I thought the jump would come as the rookies and second year guys mature. I still think that and have hopes that come December we will be much better. Sheard is missed more than most of us think, especially against the run and we were missing our best defensive player. Team is good now and has lots of room to improve with just the players we have on the roster right now

ChoppedWood
09-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Another 76% completion day, this time with 300+ and 2 TDs. Folks we have our QB. You can see Reich trusting him with the wheel more and more and you can see him showing he can get it done. We have a legitimate championship caliber team brewing here.

YDFL Commish
09-22-2019, 07:09 PM
Another 76% completion day, this time with 300+ and 2 TDs. Folks we have our QB. You can see Reich trusting him with the wheel more and more and you can see him showing he can get it done. We have a legitimate champidisplayed onship caliber team brewing here.

The improvement Brissett has under real coaching is amazing. I have said in the past that he's nothing but a good QB2. I now eat those words.

As Omaha said, he's really improved his pocket presence. But, along with have been great improvement in accuracy and touch.

I think what has impressed me the most though is his escapability and strength in the pocket.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-22-2019, 07:21 PM
But, along with have been great improvement in accuracy and touch.

The Colts have continued bringing in the "QB guru" / throwing expert Tom House to work with Jacoby on his mechanics. House was in Indy earlier this week at Colts practice.

House had helped Luck last year to rework his mechanics because Andrew had developed a lot of bad habits compensating for injuries.

omahacolt
09-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Another 76% completion day, this time with 300+ and 2 TDs. Folks we have our QB. You can see Reich trusting him with the wheel more and more and you can see him showing he can get it done. We have a legitimate championship caliber team brewing here.

While I love the optimism, I am going to give it a lot more time before I crown him.

nate505
09-22-2019, 07:54 PM

It's shocking how much better he looks with a coaching staff who isn't the drizzling shits.

Well not really, but it's still great to see.

apballin
09-22-2019, 08:01 PM
We can run the ball at will, stop the run, don’t turn it over, and limit penalties that’s winning formula no matter the situation

ChoppedWood
09-22-2019, 08:55 PM
While I love the optimism, I am going to give it a lot more time before I crown him.

I hear ya, I do. We've seen guys do great in small samples and look like world beaters- ala Fitzmagic a while back where he went on a historic run for like 4 games and then waned. However what I see in JB that I don't see in a guy like Fitz, is a stronger guy who had to play through an absolute shit show of a season- knowing he had no chance to succeed- but showed incredible grit throughout. He is big, has a cannon, and most of all he has an offensive support staff that is outstanding both on the headsets and on the field. In many respects he could not have asked for a more ideal situation to literally land in his lap. I just don't think under a Reich led team he is going to fizzle out- I just don' think the combination of his talent and Reich's mind will see him crap out. Will he ever be Peyton Manning- probably not, but can he be Andrew Luck great- I'm beginning to think so, in many respects this three game stretch to start the season- is essentially Luck at the very top of his game.

Now before you light me up for that statement- we all sort of regard last season as Luck's finest----- AND NO I have not forgotten that he MISSED the entire year before and definitely was shaking off the rust in the early part of the season, however, get a load of these stats through the first three games:

85/124 68.5% 662 5 3
66/92 71.7% 646 7 1

I would take those #'s on the bottom every single day above those on top, and those on the bottom are Jacoby Brisset's so far this year.

Hoopsdoc
09-22-2019, 09:09 PM

While I agree that the Colts have the potential to be really good, nobody is beating Kansas City this year.

They may well go undefeated.

ChoppedWood
09-22-2019, 09:12 PM
While I agree that the Colts have the potential to be really good, nobody is beating Kansas City this year.

Yeah I don't think this year is our year, but I do think if we can keep this core together and healthy, I could very well see a Jacoby Brissett led team in the AFC champ game, beating them, or any other AFC foe, to go to the SB- I do believe he can reach that level.

VeveJones007
09-22-2019, 09:46 PM
Pass protection was much better than it was last week. Brissett could step up on nearly every play.

Chromeburn
09-22-2019, 11:06 PM

I think he was the UT role then moved over when Woods got hurt. I believe he did well at both spots and earned that contract. I don't know, but like I said still early in the season.

Chromeburn
09-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Ehh I want to see them actually beat NE for once. Teams always line up, then that belichick defense comes in and just shuts them down. Hasn't stopped the KC fans from smack talking though, they are doing backflips after finally getting a franchise QB.

Oldcolt
09-22-2019, 11:33 PM
At this point in the season we have as good a chance as anyone to have the best team come December. Players grow, injuries happen, coaches get out coached and the football gods will have there say at some point. Who even remembers who was the best team in football after 3 games last year?

Chaka
09-22-2019, 11:41 PM
Good game overall. First half was lights out obviously. Very concerned, however, about the lack of pass rush and the fact that the Atlanta receivers appeared to be wide open most of the day, two items that are undoubtedly related. Ryan was an 85% passer today, and the Falcons converted WAY too many 3rd and longs.

Maniac
09-22-2019, 11:50 PM
Definitely have to rely on the TE's if Hilton is out, and he is tough as fucking nails, so if he sat out, it had to be more than just a small thing. It really had to be killing him.

Regarding Hooker leaving the field, that's the first thing I thought too, especially with how they reported it, that he had to take a shit or something.

Still can't believe they didn't upgrade the interior of the D-line in the offseason. They had a lot of options with the draft, free agency, cuts, etc.

Maniac
09-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Ryan was an 85% passer today, and the Falcons converted WAY too many 3rd and longs.

Yeah that was ridiculous. I put that on Eberflus for not dialing up some blitzes to where Ryan couldn't just sit back there and pick those zones apart.

ukcolt
09-23-2019, 03:42 AM
I have hope with the defense, we were missing some major parts yesterday in Sheard, Leonard. We then also had Lewis leave the game, Turay and Desir both were guys who were playing injured, and then we had lots of rookies making mistakes, but gaining valuable game time experience.

Justin Houston has not really shown me much so far this year, have been very disappointed in his play.

I just wish that we could get a hand on the ball at some point, yeah we had the one interception, but that was more a terrible throw than good defensive play. Did we have a single pass breakup? We need to challenge the receivers, we are letting them make the catch, then trying to deliver the huge hit to dislodge the ball, don't let them make the catch to begin with! We are consistently getting killed by TE's, i realise Hooper is one of the better TE's, but he appeared to be wide open all day. At least with Jones we did have some coverage in place. There were some outstanding throws from Ryan as well.

Even with the complaints of our pass defense, we won that game relatively comfortably, we had the ball in position to score at the end of the game. I think we punted just the once, special teams overall looked good.

Coltsalr
09-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Turay only played 13 snaps.

So that may explain why you didn’t see much of him.

VeveJones007
09-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Per PFF, Houston has the 3rd highest pressure rate in the league on 3rd/4th down. He’s getting pressure, just not getting many sacks so far.

Luck4Reich
09-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Per PFF, Houston has the 3rd highest pressure rate in the league on 3rd/4th down. He’s getting pressure, just not getting many sacks so far.

I think he will have a 3 sack game against the the Raiduhs.

smitty46953
09-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Kevin Bowen‏ @KBowen1070 · 5h5 hours ago

This was a play the #Colts put in last week. Trying to initially sell the inside run, before Nelson pulls.

Quenton Nelson: “It was a DB, who just fell to the ground, before anything could happen."

Reporter: "Business decision by him?”

Nelson: “Yeah, probably a smart one.”

https://twitter.com/KBowen1070/status/1176134008750641157

:cool:

Chromeburn
09-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Kevin Bowen‏ @KBowen1070 · 5h5 hours ago

This was a play the #Colts put in last week. Trying to initially sell the inside run, before Nelson pulls.

Quenton Nelson: “It was a DB, who just fell to the ground, before anything could happen."

Reporter: "Business decision by him?”

Nelson: “Yeah, probably a smart one.”

https://twitter.com/KBowen1070/status/1176134008750641157

:cool:

Everyone saw the Barry Church highlight. No one wants to be a gif for the next few years over one play.

Maniac
09-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Everyone saw the Barry Church highlight. No one wants to be a gif for the next few years over one play.

:D And people complained about us drafting him where we did. WELL worth it.

rcubed
09-23-2019, 06:53 PM
a small but consequential aspect I noticed was at end of the game both mack and doyle secured a first down then went to the ground ensuring they didnt go out of bounds, keeping the clock running. shows good situational awareness and good coaching.

smitty46953
09-23-2019, 08:11 PM
:D And people complained about us drafting him where we did. WELL worth it.

Nelson was my choice at 1.03 before the trade down. Beast at Notre Dame too... :cool:

Oldcolt
09-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Nelson was my choice at 1.03 before the trade down. Beast at Notre Dame too... :cool:

By the end of his career, if he doesn't get hurt, five teams will wish they had taken him Best player in the draft, best player on the team since he showed up.

ChoppedWood
09-23-2019, 09:49 PM
By the end of his career, if he doesn't get hurt, five teams will wish they had taken him Best player in the draft, best player on the team since he showed up.

I saw a few quips today saying he may be the best player in football- period. Not best OLman, not best big man, best player in the game. Sure he doesn't throw 75 yard darts like Mahomes but good God is he a dominating force that has reshaped this franchise.

Maniac
09-23-2019, 10:31 PM
I saw a few quips today saying he may be the best player in football- period. Not best OLman, not best big man, best player in the game. Sure he doesn't throw 75 yard darts like Mahomes but good God is he a dominating force that has reshaped this franchise.

I wouldn't say he's better than Mack or Donald, but he's a beast.

Pez
09-23-2019, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't say he's better than Mack or Donald, but he's a beast.I would, in the last two years he has been better for this team than hilton.

Pez
09-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Prove me wrong... I dont see it

Maniac
09-24-2019, 05:27 AM
I would, in the last two years he has been better for this team than hilton.

Hilton is also not better than Mack or Donald.

Colt Classic
09-24-2019, 07:37 AM
I would, in the last two years he has been better for this team than hilton.

That's not really saying anything if you're trying to say Nelson is the best player in the league. Of course he's better than TY then.

Pez
09-24-2019, 07:46 AM
That's not really saying anything if you're trying to say Nelson is the best player in the league. Of course he's better than TY then.Sry, we play open mics on mondays and there are shots involved. I'm not trying to say he is the best in the league, that is likely mahomes. But he's the colts mvp this year and last year. He brings more value to this team than Hilton does.

ukcolt
09-24-2019, 07:53 AM
In terms of the best players on the Colts i would have them in this order:-

1. Nelson
2. Hilton
3. Leonard
4. Castonzo
5. Autry
6. Sheard
7. Hooker
8. Kelly
9. Houston
10. Doyle
11. Desir
12. Mack
13. Brissett
14. Moore
15. Ebron

omahacolt
09-24-2019, 08:10 AM

1. Nelson
2. Hilton
3. Leonard
4. Castonzo
5. Autry
6. Sheard
7. Hooker
8. Kelly
9. Houston
10. Doyle
11. Desir
12. Mack
13. Brissett
14. Moore
15. Ebron

Sheard is way too high

Pez
09-24-2019, 09:16 AM

1. Nelson
2. Hilton
3. Leonard
4. Castonzo
5. Autry
6. Sheard
7. Hooker
8. Kelly
9. Houston
10. Doyle
11. Desir
12. Mack
13. Brissett
14. Moore
15. Ebron

Wow, that list is bound to be contentious. What jumps out at me is that I would value Doyle, Mack and Ebron higher, certainly higher than Kelly.

Oldcolt
09-24-2019, 11:46 AM

1. Nelson
2. Hilton
3. Leonard
4. Castonzo
5. Autry
6. Sheard
7. Hooker
8. Kelly
9. Houston
10. Doyle
11. Desir
12. Mack
13. Brissett
14. Moore
15. Ebron

If we are going by the year I would put Brissett much higher. In the top 5 for sure

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-24-2019, 12:19 PM
2) i absolutely love Reich. his aggressiveness will not be in our favor at times but i have no issue with anything he has done this year. how refreshing it is to have an actual coach that knows what he is doing. generally keeps the colts in good down and distances. has plays ready when we need something different and smart. understand when to line up and smash dudes. just love the guy.

Baldy gave Reich props for his play calling vs the Falcons:

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1176517032294178817

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1176518383501828097

Pez
09-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Is he an Indy fan? I know he does a ton of Nelson love, but I didn't realize he did this on a team level as well.

Colt Classic
09-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Is he an Indy fan? I know he does a ton of Nelson love, but I didn't realize he did this on a team level as well.

He used to be a Colt and I don't think he left on bad terms.

Pez
09-24-2019, 06:14 PM
He used to be a Colt and I don't think he left on bad terms.Wild I did not remember that at all. I was 12 I guess.