PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Chad Kelly?

DrSpaceman
09-17-2019, 09:39 AM
His suspension is up, curious to see what the Colts will do with him now, practice squad? I assume he won't be the back up since they signed one for big money.

smitty46953
09-17-2019, 09:45 AM
I may be wrong, but I think to go to practice squad he must first be waived and clear waiver process. Should Colts not sign him to active roster and elect to waive him he is most likely claimed. Lot of QB injuries this year? :cool:

njcoltfan
09-17-2019, 10:11 AM
I may be wrong, but I think to go to practice squad he must first be waived and clear waiver process. Should Colts not sign him to active roster and elect to waive him he is most likely claimed. Lot of QB injuries this year? :cool:

I agree Smitty, I would figure a way to get him on the roster, then try to trade him.

Oldcolt
09-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut? That and I'm not really sold on Kelly. He looked good against second and third stringers. Same people that made Deon Cain look like an All-Pro. I could see putting him on the roster for one week while the Jets et al get a little more stabilized at qb then waive him when Sheard is ready to improve his chances that he gets thru waivers. For his sake, I hope he makes it somehow onto this squad. I think he need quality people like Reich to mentor him. He does have talent and we could use a young mobile qb to practice against.

Just read your idea (njcoltfan) about trading him. That makes a ton of sense, especially the way Ballard love him his draft choices. For Kelly's sake, I think he is best served by staying in Indiana with this organization. I'm still hopeful he somehow makes it to our practice squad

indycolts2
09-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut? That and I'm not really sold on Kelly. He looked good against second and third stringers. Same people that made Deon Cain look like an All-Pro. I could see putting him on the roster for one week while the Jets et al get a little more stabilized at qb then waive him when Sheard is ready to improve his chances that he gets thru waivers. For his sake, I hope he makes it somehow onto this squad. I think he need quality people like Reich to mentor him. He does have talent and we could use a young mobile qb to practice against.

Just read your idea (njcoltfan) about trading him. That makes a ton of sense, especially the way Ballard love him his draft choices. For Kelly's sake, I think he is best served by staying in Indiana with this organization. I'm still hopeful he somehow makes it to our practice squad

It's an odd feeling as a fan to want success for Brissett and at same time want to see Kelly get a chance with the 1's against someone else's 1's. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him added to roster and if some QB challenged team wants to make an offer for him or Hoyer then they at least got something in return. Given a choice I would rather they keep Kelly vs. Hoyer. Colts aren't going anywhere anyway with Hoyer under center for any period of time.

VeveJones007
09-17-2019, 12:04 PM
I agree Smitty, I would figure a way to get him on the roster, then try to trade him.

If Josh Dobbs can get a pick, you have to think Kelly could...unless teams are scared off by the off-field.

HoosierinFL
09-17-2019, 01:27 PM
I liked Kelly a lot but I gotta think Hoyer has a lot more upside, and I can't see a good reason to carry 3 QBs on this roster when we need rotational depth on the defense. I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard but we need him back setting the edge desperately.
Has Houston really done anything so far? I haven't had a chance to go back and re-watch any games, and I've spent too much time ball watching (which I always do when games get tight)

DrSpaceman
09-17-2019, 01:46 PM
I liked Kelly a lot but I gotta think Hoyer has a lot more upside, and I can't see a good reason to carry 3 QBs on this roster when we need rotational depth on the defense. I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard but we need him back setting the edge desperately.
Has Houston really done anything so far? I haven't had a chance to go back and re-watch any games, and I've spent too much time ball watching (which I always do when games get tight)

I would think just the opposite, Kelly has more upside. You know what you are getting with Hoyer. A career back up who can fill in for a few games if a starter has a minor injury.

Houston eeked out a win over Jax and got beat on a last second FG over NO. Watson put them ahead with two great back to back long throws with 30 seconds or so left against NO, then they idiotically let NO get in FG range to beat them. NO had the ball at like the 40 or 45 yard line with 7 seconds or so, they play an extremely soft coverage and just give up the 7-8 years easily to let them get into easier FG range for the win.

VeveJones007
09-17-2019, 02:04 PM
I would think just the opposite, Kelly has more upside. You know what you are getting with Hoyer. A career back up who can fill in for a few games if a starter has a minor injury.

Houston eeked out a win over Jax and got beat on a last second FG over NO. Watson put them ahead with two great back to back long throws with 30 seconds or so left against NO, then they idiotically let NO get in FG range to beat them. NO had the ball at like the 40 or 45 yard line with 7 seconds or so, they play an extremely soft coverage and just give up the 7-8 years easily to let them get into easier FG range for the win.

I'm pretty sure Hoosier meant Justin Houston...unless you're going straight sarcasm and I just can't read between the lines.

VeveJones007
09-17-2019, 02:07 PM

I haven't re-watched the Titans game, but it looked like they were doing fine setting the edge. How many times did Henry break outside and turn the corner? The problems (like in Week 1) were LBs getting washed out or overpursuing.

HoosierinFL
09-17-2019, 03:29 PM
So its still gap discipline and mis-reads by the LBs. I remember this being a major problem back in 2004. It wasn't so bad last year, it seems like they just need more practice or game-time experience.

HoosierinFL
09-17-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Hoosier meant Justin Houston...unless you're going straight sarcasm and I just can't read between the lines.

Yea, that was in the context of the above question about who might get cut when Sheard comes back.

I doubt we'd cut Houston (more likely Millgan, Lewis, or Ward) but I was just wondering.

ChoppedWood
09-17-2019, 05:57 PM
I want Kelly on this team. JB has shown a willingness to go all Luck on us- which means he is also likely to experience some of Luck's luck too at some point this season meaning he's going to miss games.

I didn't really know ALL of the Kelly story in terms of the depth of his talent. I knew he had a crazy good season at Ole Miss but I didn't know he was originally at Clemson. Jim Kelly has said he is more athletic and has a bigger arm than he does- that's a pretty bold statement.

To me he represents greater upside than Hoyer.

In terms of Houston, I've thought he has played fine. On one of the Autry sacks Sunday he arrives right at the same time as Autry so he was getting him if Autry did not. Haven't noticed him getting rocked backwards or collapsed inside. Agree with the poster that said so far the running issues seem to be in the middle with the LB's not fitting well- DL HAS NOT been filling those lanes like we are used to and Walker has really been guilty of overpursuit. Clean some of that up and we might be among the best Defenses in the league.

YDFL Commish
09-17-2019, 08:40 PM
With all the QB's we've seen going down, I'm not sure Kelly clears waivers. I think until Sheard comes back, you add him to the active roster, then maybe see if he has a market.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut?

I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard

Whenever Jabaal Sheard is ready to play, no roster move will be required. He is currently on the active roster. The Colts deemed his injury to be minor and decided to carry him on the active roster (obviously he has been on the inactive list on game days for Weeks 1 and 2)

If the Colts want to create room on the active roster for Kelly, then I think S Rolan Milligan would be the first player cut....and then the Colts would try to sign Rolan back to the practice squad. I think he occupies the "we need a roster spot" role currently. Erik Swoope had that role last year - going back and forth between active roster and practice squad.

Maniac
09-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Why would they try to trade him? Our QB situation is not resolved. Brissett has been a decent game manager, but hasn't shown to be a franchise qb. Hoyer definitely isn't, so why would they trade a young kid with potential? We need to be keeping talent at qb and hoping we hit on one.

Chromeburn
09-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Why would they try to trade him? Our QB situation is not resolved. Brissett has been a decent game manager, but hasn't shown to be a franchise qb. Hoyer definitely isn't, so why would they trade a young kid with potential? We need to be keeping talent at qb and hoping we hit on one.

Still two games in. Gotta see if the guy can grow into the position.

There have been some positives. Guy is like Houdini avoiding the pass rush. And he had some nice throws. Hit Campbell in stride with a nice touch throw.

Maniac
09-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Still two games in. Gotta see if the guy can grow into the position.

There have been some positives. Guy is like Houdini avoiding the pass rush. And he had some nice throws. Hit Campbell in stride with a nice touch throw.

He's getting that chance. I would prefer either the line block better or Brissett gets rid of the ball instead of relying on him doing a lot of houdini escapes. It makes me wonder if he's not seeing and adjusting the protection correctly. We'll see if he improves as the season goes on.

The position is still far from settled though, so getting rid of another young talented QB would be dumb at this point.

Oldcolt
09-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Ballard believes in competition. He told Doyal that he would never leave the Colts as thin at qb as they were when Luck retired. Not only would I like to see us keep Kelly I think we need to draft a qb next year. Not only do we need competition I don’t want to see us pay $30 million or more a year for an average qb. We need options at that position going forward, just like every other position

CanuckColt
09-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Someone posted that Kelly is practicing with the team today.

Chaka
09-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Decision to be made on Kelly today, apparently, so we'll know soon.

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1174357836463255552

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Chad Kelly has been waived.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1174423158574723072

The Colts have waived Chad Kelly, per the NFL's transactions wire. Can put him on the practice squad tomorrow if he clears waivers.

rm1369
09-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Chad Kelly has been waived.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1174423158574723072

Can’t say I like this decision. I’ll be surprised if he clears waivers.

ChoppedWood
09-18-2019, 05:11 PM
Not a fan of this one, will be shocked if he's not scooped up very quickly.

Racehorse
09-18-2019, 05:17 PM
If he isn't scooped up, then he is over-valued by some here. If he is, does it vindicate these same folks, or does it mean teams are desperate?

Oldcolt
09-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Desperate. If people wanted him that bad we would have gotten a 6th or 7th for him. For his own sake I hope he stays in Indy

JAFF
09-18-2019, 05:37 PM
I know this sounds silly but we should be more worried about our all pro linebacker being able to play than whether not Chad Kelly clears waivers

ChoppedWood
09-18-2019, 05:40 PM
I know this sounds silly but we should be more worried about our all pro linebacker being able to play than whether not Chad Kelly clears waivers

So in other words, no one should post anything because frankly we can't impact either and thus they wash each other out? Sometimes....

JAFF
09-18-2019, 05:57 PM
So in other words, no one should post anything because frankly we can't impact either and thus they wash each other out? Sometimes....

No feel free. I could be wtong but if he cant be put on the PS unless he clears waivers. Wasn’t this going to happen? I would like to see him stay, but hes never played 1 down in a regular season game. This Sunday, he wont be playing. I sure hope Leonard will play.

rm1369
09-18-2019, 06:34 PM
If he isn't scooped up, then he is over-valued by some here. If he is, does it vindicate these same folks, or does it mean teams are desperate?

Any team making a claim on him is certainly desperate, but there are always teams desperate for a QB. And let’s be clear - I’m not suggesting this is some major screw up by Ballard if he doesn’t end up on the Colts PS. I’d just like to see him stay with them.

Spike
09-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Damn, I like his upside more than Hoyer. If Hoyer ever has to play, we are FUBAR.

Chromeburn
09-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Damn, I like his upside more than Hoyer. If Hoyer ever has to play, we are FUBAR.

If he has to take over yeah. If he has to fill in for a game or two I like Hoyer better than Kelly.

Kelly’s has a nice arm, but I feel like everyone went from just a camp body to hey we could win with this kid. I think he’s being a bit over valued.

Going to be a decent QB draft next draft. I bet we grab someone in the first two rounds.

JAFF
09-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Any team making a claim on him is certainly desperate, but there are always teams desperate for a QB. And let’s be clear - I’m not suggesting this is some major screw up by Ballard if he doesn’t end up on the Colts PS. I’d just like to see him stay with them.

Me too. Right now Hoyer is the better option. Kelly has promise, and the way QBs are dropping, I think hes worth the invest in time.

JAFF
09-18-2019, 08:03 PM

Brisset is ok, hes not the main reason this team will succeed. The run game and the D is going to be the reason. Brisset cant be a turnover machine. And I feel better about his performance since the NFL admitted the screw him on the false starts.

Hoyer needs to play the same way. Dont force anything

YDFL Commish
09-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Hoyer needs to play the same way. Dont force anything

Don't force anything? I'm tired of hearing this kind of talk. A good to great QB has to be confident in himself and his receivers and force things that the mediocre just will not do.

If Brissett is check down charlie every week, then we become predictable and thus easily beatable.

Oldcolt
09-18-2019, 08:28 PM

I’m not so sure if he has more upside than Brissett. I tend to doubt that. He moves better and is way more aggressive. Aggressive is great if you have Lucks talent. Aggressive with not so much talent, in the NFL, nor so great. I do think his floor is definitely lower than Brissett.

omahacolt
09-18-2019, 08:40 PM

great post bro

we also shouldn't post because Luck retired. yay. lets go boys

Spike
09-18-2019, 08:57 PM
I’m not so sure if he has more upside than Brissett. I tend to doubt that. He moves better and is way more aggressive. Aggressive is great if you have Lucks talent. Aggressive with not so much talent, in the NFL, nor so great. I do think his floor is definitely lower than Brissett.

Yeah, I was comparing him to Hoyer, not Brissett.

Hoopsdoc
09-18-2019, 09:38 PM

In my opinion, people were seriously over valuing Kelly. He’s nothing special. He just looked amazing because he was alternating with Walker.

Discflinger
09-19-2019, 06:29 AM
All this shit cracks me up.

JAFF
09-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Don't force anything? I'm tired of hearing this kind of talk. A good to great QB has to be confident in himself and his receivers and force things that the mediocre just will not do.

If Brissett is check down charlie every week, then we become predictable and thus easily beatable.

Throwing under to open recievers hasn't hurt Check down Tommy and the Cheats

Oldcolt
09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
I’m not concerned about this offense. I believe Reich has a plan on how to slowly build a qb’s confidence and then let him loose. He did the same thing with Luck and it seems kinda obvious that this guy isn't going to be satisfied with a Woody Hayes offense. Opening on the road with a new qb and (maybe) a team psyche he was concerned about he went to our strength (offensive line) and helped developed the mental state he wants this team to have, hence 4th and short he goes for it. For the first time in like forever I’m thinking we have a coach who absolutely knows what he is doing

Chromeburn
09-19-2019, 12:01 PM
I’m not concerned about this offense. I believe Reich has a plan on how to slowly build a qb’s confidence and then let him loose. He did the same thing with Luck and it seems kinda obvious that this guy isn't going to be satisfied with a Woody Hayes offense. Opening on the road with a new qb and (maybe) a team psyche he was concerned about he went to our strength (offensive line) and helped developed the mental state he wants this team to have, hence 4th and short he goes for it. For the first time in like forever I’m thinking we have a coach who absolutely knows what he is doing

I don’t understand what the big deal is about that 4th call. It was the right call.

We had momentum.
It played to our strength. Big oline and big QB.
We would have given too much time to the Titans (who really did not manage the time they were given)
Analytics say the odds are in our favor when going for it.

I know Archuleta was over reacting to it, but he was kinda a douche the whole game and seemed to be rooting for the tits a little. But I think this is the league now, or is becoming. Lines are getting smaller and quicker, so in a goaline they can be at a disadvantage. I don’t know, to me it seemed pretty obvious what to do.

Chromeburn
09-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Gets the ball out in an average of two seconds. Still he got hit a lot in the Dolphins game. And they lost some oline.

Chaka
09-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Kelly cleared waivers and is expected to re-sign with Colts:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1174783705744887809

Oldcolt
09-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Another nice call by Ballard. He’s on the team and we didn’t have to cut anyone

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-19-2019, 05:10 PM

The Colts have now officially confirmed the signing to the practice squad and announced the corresponding move.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1174790237194768419

We have signed QB Chad Kelly to the practice squad and released T Tyree St. Louis from the practice squad.

YDFL Commish
09-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Another nice call by Ballard. He’s on the team and we didn’t have to cut anyone

In Ballard I trust.

YDFL Commish
09-19-2019, 06:21 PM

If you think that running the offense the same way we have the last 2 weeks plays to Brissett's strengths, then you are sadly mistaken.

Look, I want the ball out of hands as quickly as possible, but that can still be done on intermediate to deep routes with quick reads and timing.

This offense is so much more progressive than anything run under Pep or Chud, and I still think that there is room to grow.

JAFF
09-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Thank heavens, I can sleep well tonight.

Too much sarcasim??

JAFF
09-19-2019, 07:21 PM
If you think that running the offense the same way we have the last 2 weeks plays to Brissett's strengths, then you are sadly mistaken.

Look, I want the ball out of hands as quickly as possible, but that can still be done on intermediate to deep routes with quick reads and timing.

This offense is so much more progressive than anything run under Pep or Chud, and I still think that there is room to grow.

I think spreading the oppositions D all over the field so that the FAST wrs' and TALL TE's can get some space and make some YAC is a good idea. Brissett hasn't played in a year, practically no preseason. Let him figure out reading the D, put him in good situations to make good decisions and not make him the center of what makes the team go.

Run the ball. Be unpredictable. Getting 5 yards on a short dump off on first down isn't a bad thing. Control the clock. No turnovers usually leads to victories. What the Patriots do isn't brain surgery.

Dewey 5
09-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Glad it worked out for both Colts & Kelly. Now let’s see if the young man can work hard & stay out of trouble. This is his last shot in the league I think.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-20-2019, 01:57 PM
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1175105281174495232

Reich on Chad Kelly coming back: "He earned it. He earned it on and off the field. ... He deserved a chance to be back here for further development."

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1175105279358361600

Reich: Chad Kelly on PS. Chad earned it on and off the field. Practiced well, played well in preseason games. Checked every box in being NFL player.