PDA

View Full Version : Adam Vinatieri

smitty46953
09-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Stephen Holder‏Verified account @HolderStephen

Just grabbed Adam Vinatieri was he headed to the bus. He said “you’ll here from me tomorrow.” I told him we don’t see him tomorrow. And he said, “Yeah, you will.”

Wonder what he is thinking? :cool:

Luck4Reich
09-15-2019, 05:05 PM

Just grabbed Adam Vinatieri was he headed to the bus. He said “you’ll here from me tomorrow.” I told him we don’t see him tomorrow. And he said, “Yeah, you will.”

We will see his retirement announcement?:cool:

Guy has had a hell of a career with no more to prove.

HoosierinFL
09-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Well if he retires my hats off to the dude. Can’t blame him for trying and at least he has the nads to hang it up knowing he can’t keep going out there kicking like that.

JAFF
09-15-2019, 05:17 PM
The first kick looked like a bad snap. The second, a total slice. I'm not going to call for his job. I've just never seen someone who is all over the place like Adam is right now

Maniac
09-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Good for him. I don't think he wants to go out there and embarrass himself for an entire season.

The question now is do they go with the dirty Sanchez as the kicker and just sign a backup? Maybe they can have Sanchez doing PK and bring back Omaha's favorite guy McAfee for punting. haha

Racehorse
09-15-2019, 05:26 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-vinatieri-after-more-missed-x-ps-youll-hear-from-me-tomorrow-204613407.html

dwilli57
09-15-2019, 05:27 PM
His head's not in it...he's done. Have to love the guy though; he's done a hell of a lot for this team.

Flexo
09-15-2019, 05:29 PM
I love him but I think it's time. Nothing but love for AV.

nate505
09-15-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm sad if he does retire, but I won't blame him either. Much rather see that than him get cut. A guy like him should never get cut.

Colt Classic
09-15-2019, 05:36 PM
"hear" is the word, Holder. "Hear".

Racehorse
09-15-2019, 05:37 PM
"hear" is the word, Holder. "Hear".

You expect a journalist to spell correctly?

albany ed
09-15-2019, 05:46 PM

He is probably thinking "I wonder what kind of gift wrapping will be on my next paycheck"

Chromeburn
09-15-2019, 11:24 PM
I hope not. I’d rather gamble on him coming out of his funk than getting some guy off the street.

smitty46953
09-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Should AV call it quits they will probably bring back Cole Hedlund who was the camp leg this year. Hedlund made 51-of-54 extra points and 19-of-22 field goals as a senior at North Texas. Also heard McAfee mentioned, but doubt that. :cool:

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Also heard McAfee mentioned, but doubt that. :cool:

McAfee was considering a comeback for the Bears this year when they invited a ton of kickers to camp. His body said "No thanks," however.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/pat-mcafee-said-he-tried-out-bears-kicker-rich-eisen-show

“I thought I was going to go back, kick some balls, place kick for a team. I went through a full couple months training and then I went and did a strep test for the team—basically kicking a bunch, kicking and punting off a bunch. When I was on the plane back home, my knee that I got surgery on last year just ballooned up out of nowhere.....It just blew up!”

“It was a nice, peaceful moment of closure for me that I performed well, but it seems as if my body has other plans.”

Chaka
09-16-2019, 12:13 AM
I guess it comes down to his practicing for me. If the guy is fine in practice, but is just melting down in the games, then it’s a mental issue. And I have full confidence that Vinatieri can dig himself out of a mental hole. If he’s just as inaccurate in practice, however, I’d say it’s time to hang ‘em up.

albany ed
09-16-2019, 05:34 AM
I guess it comes down to his practicing for me. If the guy is fine in practice, but is just melting down in the games, then it’s a mental issue. And I have full confidence that Vinatieri can dig himself out of a mental hole. If he’s just as inaccurate in practice, however, I’d say it’s time to hang ‘em up.

Age catches up to everyone. AV has already beat the odds by a LONG shot, but there's no beating the clock forever. My first baseball hero was Willie Mays, to this day, the most exciting and talented player I've ever seen. It broke my heart to see him playing beyond his time and embarrassing himself and all his fans. AV needs to get out before the fans all turn against him. He cost us game 1 and he nearly cost us game 2. It's time to go. Better to get out a little too soon than a little too late.

Indystu2
09-16-2019, 08:01 AM
1. I will always have admiration and respect for AV. True champion.
2. He knows he is done and we know he is done. so that just leaves...
3. Either IR that leads to retirement or just straight call it quits.

Chromeburn
09-16-2019, 08:07 AM
1. I will always have admiration and respect for AV. True champion.
2. He knows he is done and we know he is done. so that just leaves...
3. Either IR that leads to retirement or just straight call it quits.

Guy hit a 61 yarder in pre game warm ups. Might be a case of the yips. Everyone wants to shuffle him off but grass may not be greener with some dude off the street.

Indystu2
09-16-2019, 08:11 AM
I am not advocating for the guy to shuffle off IF he gets this turned around. I am saying time may be catching up to him in a hurry. A long FG in practice with no noise or rush is one thing, game time is another. It could be that the long practice FGs wear him down or perhaps he has an unlisted injury. I would love to see him get back to Mr. Automatic, don't get me wrong. I just feel like we are watching to end of a HOF career.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Guy hit a 61 yarder in pre game warm ups. Might be a case of the yips. Everyone wants to shuffle him off but grass may not be greener with some dude off the street.

He has also dealt with a few injuries this season. He missed a good portion of camp and preseason activities due to a knee injury. Might have been more newsworthy but the Luck saga overshadowed it. I also saw mention of a toe injury which would probably hurt while kicking if it is on either the kicking foot or the planting foot.

AV downplayed the injury talk after the first game. Reich did the same. However, the injuries may now be healed or at a point where it is "good enough to go and play football" but he may have developed a few hitches in his normal mechanics to compensate for the injury. He mentioned that he saw a few problems with his mechanics when he reviewed the video of Game 1.

Hoopsdoc
09-16-2019, 09:21 AM

I’d MUCH MUCH rather take my chances that Vinny figures this out than bring in some dude off the street.

Maniac
09-16-2019, 10:16 AM
I’d MUCH MUCH rather take my chances that Vinny figures this out than bring in some dude off the street.

I would much rather they let Sanchez take over PK duties instead of continuing to struggle there. It almost cost this team 2 games already.

ukcolt
09-16-2019, 11:27 AM
You are saying you want to go into a live contest with a guy who has never kicked a FG in the NFL than with the greatest kicker of all time. Sanchez kicking would also necessitate a new holder as well.

Maniac
09-16-2019, 12:05 PM
You are saying you want to go into a live contest with a guy who has never kicked a FG in the NFL than with the greatest kicker of all time. Sanchez kicking would also necessitate a new holder as well.

We have had 2 games so far this season. Vinatieri lost one game for us and almost lost the second one for us as well.

Look, I appreciate what he has done for us. We wouldn't have won a superbowl without him because he won that Ravens game for us that year, but it's pretty clear that there is an issue, and if Adam is considering retiring, it's something of concern, so yeah, at this point, I would rather go with a younger guy, and if we have a guy on the team who can do it, why not? I'm sure they'll bring in another kicker. If Sanchez is better than him, then let that guy be the holder.

Lov2fish
09-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Nostalgia will only get you so far. In the NFL you are paid to win games. Right now he is not doing that, or contributing to winning games. They cut friggin Peyton Manning, Vinny is not beyond approach. It is a what have you done for me lately business. Right now he hasn't done much.

I am a huge Adam fan, have one of his jersey's and he will go down as the greatest kicker in history. Every athlete wants to ride off in the sunset as a champion, but that is a rarity. Most go out making a mockery of their once great career. I don't want to see him degrade himself on the way to the hall of fame.

HoosierinFL
09-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Sanchez will not be taking over as the placekicker, because no team is stupid enough to have only 1 kicker on the roster. If AV stays on the team, he kicks. If he retires, then a new PK will be signed.

Maniac
09-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Sanchez will not be taking over as the placekicker, because no team is stupid enough to have only 1 kicker on the roster. If AV stays on the team, he kicks. If he retires, then a new PK will be signed.

I didn't say for them to have only one kicker on the roster. I think they should sign someone and let that person and Sanchez compete for it. If Sanchez wins the job, then the other guy would be the backup and holder. If the other guy they sign is better, then that's great.

Chromeburn
09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
He has also dealt with a few injuries this season. He missed a good portion of camp and preseason activities due to a knee injury. Might have been more newsworthy but the Luck saga overshadowed it. I also saw mention of a toe injury which would probably hurt while kicking if it is on either the kicking foot or the planting foot.

AV downplayed the injury talk after the first game. Reich did the same. However, the injuries may now be healed or at a point where it is "good enough to go and play football" but he may have developed a few hitches in his normal mechanics to compensate for the injury. He mentioned that he saw a few problems with his mechanics when he reviewed the video of Game 1.

All that would certainly mess with your kicking mechanics.

Chromeburn
09-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Nostalgia will only get you so far. In the NFL you are paid to win games. Right now he is not doing that, or contributing to winning games. They cut friggin Peyton Manning, Vinny is not beyond approach. It is a what have you done for me lately business. Right now he hasn't done much.

I am a huge Adam fan, have one of his jersey's and he will go down as the greatest kicker in history. Every athlete wants to ride off in the sunset as a champion, but that is a rarity. Most go out making a mockery of their once great career. I don't want to see him degrade himself on the way to the hall of fame.

It's not nostalgia for me. I honestly don't really care about kickers and I think it is a little silly to have one as your main captain. But I appreciate the security a good one gives you.

But to me it's like saying we're gonna replace Tiger Woods with a golf pro from the local country club. I would rather ride Woods and hope he gets his swing back. We have had some good kickers over the years, we may find out what most other teams go through with their kicking woes.

Workhorse
09-16-2019, 04:09 PM

There are quite a few guys on the street the have kicked field goals in the NFL.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-16-2019, 04:21 PM
In his conference call, Reich is backing AV:

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1173688527852322816

Frank Reich: "Adam's our kicker. ... He's an instrumental leader on our team."

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1173689330679910400

Frank Reich says that if the Colts bring in kickers to work out, that's a Ballard decision

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173690580137840656

Reich says Vinatieri continues to get treatment on his knee but he doesn't see it as an issue. "Physically, he's still a powerhouse."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173691010335039488

Reich says nothing Vinatieri's done the past couple games will affect his thinking or play-calling in the future.

"Yesterday, I was kind of hoping it came down to a 60-yard field goal for the game. There's no one I trust more to make that kick that Adam Vinatieri."

ukcolt
09-16-2019, 04:42 PM
He has had 2, i repeat two poor games, that have cost us 3 points on PAT's and then missed one FG......that could i admit have cost us two games....but in the grand scheme of things, Eric Ebron not making the TD catch against the Chargers cost us 4 points, the offside penalty etc etc. I have more faith that over the course of the rest of the season that AV will be better than any kicker we pick up off of the street.

albany ed
09-16-2019, 04:54 PM
He has had 2, i repeat two poor games, that have cost us 3 points on PAT's and then missed one FG......that could i admit have cost us two games....but in the grand scheme of things, Eric Ebron not making the TD catch against the Chargers cost us 4 points, the offside penalty etc etc. I have more faith that over the course of the rest of the season that AV will be better than any kicker we pick up off of the street.

Ebron has been targeted 7 times this season and has 4 catches and 1 TD. When he's not running routes, he's blocking for running plays. Vinatieri has one job, placekicking. Historically, no one has ever done it better, but shit brother, he's 46 years old. He's closer to collecting SS than he is to the younger NFLers in the game. If time has caught up to him, he has to go. He hasn't even had to kick when there's extreme pressure on him like the guy from the Bears yesterday from 53 yards. 1 game is an aberration, 2 games out of 2? If he were 30 years old I'd only be a little concerned, but at 46, I'm deeply concerned.

Oldcolt
09-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Reich said at his presser that Vinateri will kick for us Sunday. Good

Colts And Orioles
09-16-2019, 05:53 PM
In his conference call, Reich is backing AV:

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1173688527852322816

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1173689330679910400

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173690580137840656

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173691010335039488

o

I'm glad.

Reich doesn't seem the type to suffer fools gladly, and I suspect that Vinatieri will be fine as the season progresses. I think that Reich really feels this way, that he isn't just giving us lip service.

o

YDFL Commish
09-16-2019, 06:06 PM
I promise you that AV will win us games this year.

Brylok
09-16-2019, 06:36 PM
AV has won so many games for us that I suppose he has the right to lose some as well. I will trust Reich and AV on this decision. I hope it works out

Oldcolt
09-16-2019, 07:03 PM
If you are Reich it is absolutely the correct move. Loyalty to players and what it will teach this young team if they watch a GOAT struggle, persevere and overcome is well worth the chance that he fails and we lose a game.

Maniac
09-16-2019, 08:12 PM

2 poor games out of 2 games this season.

Reich says Vinatieri continues to get treatment on his knee but he doesn't see it as an issue.

From alwayssunny's post, maybe there is an injury issue. If that's the case, then they aren't doing him any favors by not reporting it properly on the weekly injury report.

Hoopsdoc
09-16-2019, 09:47 PM
I promise you that AV will win us games this year.

I agree. I’ve been alternating between pessimistic worrying and cautious optimism.

I like that Reich is backing him 100 percent and I trust his judgment on that. I think Reich has earned that. Now it’s time for Vinny to reward that trust.

nate505
09-16-2019, 10:24 PM
There's no doubt if any player perhaps in NFL history deserves the benefit of the doubt after a couple bad games it's AV. I hope he has a great game Sunday and for the rest of the season and can cap off an awful start with his usual greatness.

That said, it'll still be nerve wracking watching him kick this year, at least until he reels off a bunch of makes.

rcubed
09-16-2019, 11:13 PM
Devils advocate: what if it continues? How many misses will push it over the edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pez
09-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Devils advocate: what if it continues? How many misses will push it over the edge?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHe has one more, if he fsks it up, Ballard will let him retire or cut him. Adam knows, he will quit when he thinks he has no more to offer.

I'm surprised that isn't coming now, but it he kicks perfect vs Falcons, well shit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

albany ed
09-17-2019, 06:08 AM
Well, he didn't retire, so I hope he has a great day this Sunday and then for the rest of the year as well. But personally, I think his time has come. I hope, I hope hard that I'm wrong, but I just don't like seeing the great ones have embarrassing finishes.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-17-2019, 12:09 PM
AV is speaking with the media right now. Jim has a few grammar errors and misspelled words - including Vinatieri - but I think he is hurriedly tweeting this info out as it is coming....

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173991632041103362

Vinatieri asked if this is the worst stretch of his career. "I’m always my worst critic when it comes to that. Obviously, it’s not been a good start to the season."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173991295494303745

Vinatieri: "I think you can overthink a lot of things at times. I've watched more film these past couple weeks -- I always watch film -- but I watch a lot of film these past couple weeks just to see any little things that need change."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173992490082492417

On Sunday, Adam Viatieri says he went home and started a fire even though "it was a million degrees out and just looked at it. My wife came and sat next to me. Didn't say much."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173991849482182656

Vinatieri says retirement was never thought on his mind. "None of us should assume stuff."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1173992908065783809

Vinatieri on how he feels physically: "I feel fine. I feel good enough. I feel plenty healthy do my job."

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1173991805936984067

Adam Vinatieri: “It’s time for me to get out there and start helping my team win games, instead of the other way around.”

Hoopsdoc
09-17-2019, 04:30 PM
So, he hasn’t even considered retirement. That’s a little surprising to me.

It tells me that he’s not quitting and if this continues, he’ll have to be cut. I dont want to see that.

Oldcolt
09-17-2019, 04:59 PM
So, he hasn’t even considered retirement. That’s a little surprising to me.

It tells me that he’s not quitting and if this continues, he’ll have to be cut. I dont want to see that.

Love his mental attitude. Not even considering quitting, not feeling sorry for himself or making excuses. Makes me root hard for him to turn this around

Chaka
09-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Colts working out a bunch of kickers, including Elliott Fry, Cody Parkey, Younghoe Koo, Greg Joseph, Cole Hedlund and Chase McLaughlin

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1174075550232653825

Colts And Orioles
09-30-2019, 09:52 AM
o

(vs. RAIDERS, 9/29)

Vinatieri looked pretty good for the 2nd consecutive game yesterday afternoon.

He did sneak one of the 3 extra points that he successfully kicked just inside the left upright, but he also had plenty of leg on a 57-yard FG attempt late in the 2nd quarter that fell just a bit to the left of the upright.

At halftime of the season opener against the Chargers, Frank Reich said that Vinatieri was the last person on the team that he was worried about in regard to his struggles ........ that's beginning to look like not such a far-fetched proclamation.

o

Colts And Orioles
10-06-2019, 11:47 PM
o

(vs. CHIEFS, 10/6)

Vinatieri was 5-for-5 on all of his attempts combined tonight ........ 4-for-4 on field goals, and 1-for-1 on an extra point attempt.

The low-scoring, defensive game was somewhat reminiscent of when the Colts beat the Ravens in the playoffs 13 years ago in 2006, when our kicker's 5 field goals accounted for all of the team's points in a 15-6 win. The kicker on that 2006 Colts team was ........ Adam Vinatieri.

Vinatieri's 5 Field Goals Kick Colts Past Ravens

(Houston Chronicle News Services)

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Vinatieri-s-5-field-goals-kick-Colts-past-Ravens-1555013.php

o

Discflinger
10-07-2019, 12:06 AM
In the eternal words of Ad-Rock, “Kick it!”

Colts And Orioles
10-27-2019, 02:43 PM
o

“In a strange way before the game started yesterday, I was kind of hoping it came down to a 60-yard field goal to win the game,” Reich said. “I’m hoping that that’s going to happen one of these games and he’s the guy — there’s nobody else I’d trust more than I would trust Adam Vinatieri.”

Frank Reich, right after Vinatieri had his 2nd consecutive bad game, in mid-September.

https://www.cbs17.com/sports/reich-still-confident-in-vinatieri-despite-early-season-woes/

Well, something similar to Reich's proposed scenario just happened ........ right before halftime of their game against the Broncos, Vinatieri booted a 55-yard field goal right down the middle to give the Colts a much-needed boost heading into the locker room.

o

smitty46953
10-27-2019, 03:12 PM
o

“In a strange way before the game started yesterday, I was kind of hoping it came down to a 60-yard field goal to win the game,” Reich said. “I’m hoping that that’s going to happen one of these games and he’s the guy — there’s nobody else I’d trust more than I would trust Adam Vinatieri.”

Frank Reich, right after Vinatieri had his 2nd consecutive bad game, in mid-September.

https://www.cbs17.com/sports/reich-still-confident-in-vinatieri-despite-early-season-woes/

Well, something similar to Reich's proposed scenario just happened ........ right before halftime of their game against the Broncos, Vinatieri booted a 55-yard field goal right down the middle to give the Colts a much-needed boost heading into the locker room.

o

JINX :rolleyes:

Colts And Orioles
10-27-2019, 03:36 PM
o

o

JINX. ) :rolleyes:

o

I know, I jinxed him.

Some jerk-off Colts fan from New York State has power as to whether or not a place-kicker makes or misses his attempts. He would have made it if I had just not said anything.

I also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

o

smitty46953
10-27-2019, 03:49 PM
LOL :cool:

Maniac
10-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Santa Claus is real. It's by Ferdinand

Colts And Orioles
10-27-2019, 04:31 PM
o

Thank you Broncos, for bailing the Colts out of a stupid move of their own.

With only 32 seconds left to play in the 4th quarter, the Colts foolishly ran the ball on 3rd down ........ they had 0 timeouts, and you (obviously) cannot spike the ball on 4th down. Consequently, with the clock running, the Colts would have had to rush their special-teams squad out there, get set, and attempt the field goal with the clock dwindling down.

But that didn't happen, because the Broncos pulled a Jim Caldwell ........ they called a timeout at the most inopportune time for them.

o

YDFL Commish
10-27-2019, 06:38 PM
o

With only 32 seconds left to play in the 4th quarter, the Colts foolishly ran the ball on 3rd down ........ they had 0 timeouts, and you (obviously) cannot spike the ball on 4th down. Consequently, with the clock running, the Colts would have had to rush their special-teams squad out there, get set, and attempt the field goal with the clock dwindling down.

But that didn't happen, because the Broncos pulled a Jim Caldwell ........ they called a timeout at the most inopportune time for them.

o

I believe Dungy did the same thing the day Rob Bironas hit the 60 yarder to beat us.

Colts And Orioles
10-27-2019, 09:10 PM
o

o

I believe Dungy did the same thing the day Rob Bironas hit the 60 yarder to beat us.

o

That was a somewhat different situation.

Today, there was no doubt as to what the Colts were going to do ........ attempt a field goal.

In that game 13 years ago the game was tied, and Jeff Fisher and Tony Dungy engaged in a chess game in the final seconds of that final drive that culminated in that improbable 60-yard field goal. Fisher had planned to attempt the field goal with 12 seconds left in the game, but thought better of it and decided to punt. But when Dungy used the Colts’ final timeout with Tennessee’s punt team on the field, Fisher changed his mind and sent the field goal unit back in the game. Had Bironas missed that 60-yard attempt prior to Dungy using his final timeout, the Colts (with a timeout still in their pocket) would have had the ball at midfield, and a chance to win the game themselves ........ “If we don’t make the kick, there are 7 seconds left, they’ve got a timeout, and he completes a pass of 15 yards, they are taking a shot at the field goal themsleves,” Fisher said. “ So I sent the punt team out there.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/sports/football/04titans.html

Finally, after the game Dungy at least conceded that the timeout call may have been a mistake that was his fault, but there were numerous other factors at play in that situation that was not the case with Caldwell in those 2 situations in 2010 (against the Texans in the regular season, and against the Jets in the Wildcard playoff game), or with the Broncos this afternoon ......... “I called the timeout because we were trying to get situated, and that’s probably my fault,” Dungy said. “I didn’t want to have 12 men on the field and give them 5 more yards.”

So even though there were additional circumstances that made Dungy's timeout call at least somewhat plausible, he (Dungy) at least held himself accountable immediately after the game, and the put the decision on himself ........ Caldwell, on the other hand, defiantly said that if he had to do it all over again he would not have changed anything.

o

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-30-2019, 11:15 AM
o

I know, I jinxed him.

Some jerk-off Colts fan from New York State has power as to whether or not a place-kicker makes or misses his attempts. He would have made it if I had just not said anything.

o

You jinxed him into being named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week. ;)

I guess the two makes from beyond 50 yards (with one of them being the game winner) had more weight than the misses for this particular honor.

There have been a lot of misses by PK's this year....the Cheats are already on their third kicker now and the season is only about halfway over!

https://www.colts.com/news/adam-vinatieri-afc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-8-denver-broncos

Colts And Orioles
10-30-2019, 03:24 PM
o

I know, I jinxed him.

o

You jinxed him into being named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week. ;)

I guess the two makes from beyond 50 yards (with one of them being the game winner) had more weight than the misses for this particular honor.

There have been a lot of misses by PK's this year....the Cheats are already on their third kicker now and the season is only about halfway over!

https://www.colts.com/news/adam-vinatieri-afc-special-teams-player-of-the-week-8-denver-broncos

o

"When you believe in things that you don't understand, and then you suffer ........ superstition ain't the way."

Stevie Wonder, 1972

o

Oldcolt
10-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Nothing wrong with being superstitious about football. Many of us are.

Colts And Orioles
10-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Nothing wrong with being superstitious about football. Many of us are.

o

There is nothing wrong with being superstitious.

There is something wrong with somebody if they actually believe that superstitious beliefs/actions have an effect on what does or does not happen in a sporting event.

So if superstitious beliefs/actions are a cute little game that people like to play to pass the time, fine. When somebody actually gets annoyed with me (or anyone else for that matter) over some twisted notion that there is a correlation between something that I said and what actually happens in life, that's where I draw the line and remind said person that they are out of touch with reality.

o

Pez
10-30-2019, 07:30 PM
o

There is nothing wrong with being superstitious.

There is something wrong with you if you actually believe that superstitious beliefs/actions actually have an effect on what does or does not happen in a sporting event.

So if superstitious beliefs/actions are a cute little game that people like to play to pass the time, fine. When somebody actually gets annoyed with me (or anyone else for that matter) over some twisted notion that there is a correlation between something that I said and what actually happens in life, that's where I draw the line and remind said person that they are out of touch with reality.

oI'm not superstitious, just stitious.

Colts And Orioles
11-03-2019, 06:49 PM
o

(vs. STEELERS, 11/03)

Vinatieri had a bad game.

Of perhaps modest interest is the fact that he has been more sound at 50-plus yards than on shorter kicks so far this season ........ he is 2-for-3 from that range, and the one that he missed was a 57-yarder that had plenty of leg, but was just off to the left.

That said, he has been very bad at 40-49 yards, which are also relatively long attempts.

EXTRA POINTS: lll 14 - for - 19

FG, 20-29: lllllllllllll, 4 - for - 5

FG, 30-39: lllllllllllll, 3 - for - 3

FG, 40-49: lllllllllllll) 3 - for - 6

FG, 50-59: llllllllllll,, 2 - for - 3

o

JAFF
11-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Laces out Marino!

YDFL Commish
11-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Laces out Marino!

It's certainly not all on AV. Rigo should have gotten the laces out yes. For some reason he didn't even attempt to spin it and I think I know why.

Rhodes snaps are very slow getting to the attended target, whether that be the holder or the punter. I'm assuming, and it looked to me like Rigo just did not have time to spin it.

Oldcolt
11-03-2019, 07:56 PM
To me the real issue is that so many games come down to the kicker

Maniac
11-03-2019, 09:32 PM
It's certainly not all on AV. Rigo should have gotten the laces out yes. For some reason he didn't even attempt to spin it and I think I know why.

Rhodes snaps are very slow getting to the attended target, whether that be the holder or the punter. I'm assuming, and it looked to me like Rigo just did not have time to spin it.

It doesn't matter which direction the laces are if you kick the dirt before the football. That's on Vinatieri

Pez
11-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Agree, the laces were irrelevant. He shanked it, it was a bad miss.

It sucks, vinatieri is the elephant in the room that cost us being a 7 and 1 team.

No other kicker in the league would still be starting.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-03-2019, 10:18 PM

eh, it could be argued that Robbie Gould is having a slightly worse season and he is still starting. Gould is only 13 of 20 on field goals for a 65% make rate. With today's game added into the stats, Vinny is at a 71% make rate. One difference is that the 49'ers as a team are rolling right now. Kicking is an after thought for now.

Both players are struggling compared to their past performance - even just comparing their stats to their 2018 numbers.

kitekrazy
11-04-2019, 12:21 AM

It's almost like a Bears forum.

Butter
11-04-2019, 12:30 AM
It doesn't matter which direction the laces are if you kick the dirt before the football. That's on Vinatieri

Yep, Sanchez fucked up, but the foot in the turf fucked it first.

njcoltfan
11-04-2019, 06:31 AM
My thoughts also! Why, after getting into field goal range, do you just run the ball up the gut 3 times and then try for the field goal, especially this year with Vinnies problems.

rcubed
11-04-2019, 10:06 AM
My thoughts also! Why, after getting into field goal range, do you just run the ball up the gut 3 times and then try for the field goal, especially this year with Vinnies problems.

Because last week it worked.

AV should probably retire after this year.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Why, after getting into field goal range, do you just run the ball up the gut 3 times and then try for the field goal, especially this year with Vinnies problems.

Because last week it worked.

Exactly. The end of the Denver game was very similar (except the outcome). Reich explained his rationale for "going conservative" in that situation. He was worried about going backwards and losing yardage. There could be a pass protection issue and the QB is sacked. Or more probable (especially this year), the zebras litter the field with flags on the play and call a penalty and the team loses yardage. Officiating has been so inconsistent this year - once flags are thrown, it is hard to know how they are going to rule on the play. Even with challenges and video review, the calls have been inconsistent.

albany ed
11-04-2019, 10:49 AM

You want to run the clock down so that the Steelers have insufficient time to get a field goal after the Colts took the lead. If they could have gotten 1 more first down, they could have run the clock down to almost 0 and then AV would kick the winning FG. They were already in AV's range, he just shit the bed. Laces in, laces out, he just shit the bed. It happens, its just that at 46, it's happening a lot and this HAS to be his last year.

Just did some quick math. Hoyer was 17 for 26 totaling 168 yards. He was also sacked 4 times for -34 yards. So, in 30 drop backs, he totaled 134 net yards for an average of 4.6 yards per drop back. Mack averaged 4.2 yards per carry. Draw your own conclusions.

Chromeburn
11-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Agree, the laces were irrelevant. He shanked it, it was a bad miss.

It sucks, vinatieri is the elephant in the room that cost us being a 7 and 1 team.

No other kicker has his resume though. If there is a better option I'm all for it. But we are not the only team with kicker woes. Reliable clutch kickers are pretty hard to find.

YDFL Commish
11-04-2019, 11:36 AM

I agree, but the foot in the grass was the main reason that he shanked it, but was his timing thrown off by the slow snap and the fact that he saw the laces facing him?

But, yes he should've made the kick regardless.

Chromeburn
11-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Pat McAfee talks about the laces out kick

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/pat-mcafee-explains-laces-issue-missed-kick-adam-vinatieri

YDFL Commish
11-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Pat McAfee talks about the laces out kick

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/pat-mcafee-explains-laces-issue-missed-kick-adam-vinatieri

AV is absolutely done after this season. But, he was not the sole reason we lost that game.

Colts And Orioles
11-05-2019, 10:50 PM
o

There was a point very early in the 3rd quarter in which I was hoping that Reich would send out Vinatieri for a 52-yard attempt. for several reasons ........ unlike earlier in the drive when they went for it on 4th and 1 and-a-half (and succeeded), the situation (4th and 4) was less in favor of a team making it (the Colts or any other team, in general.) Secondly, Vinatieri has not been bad at all on very long field goal attempts. He has tried 3 from beyond 50, made 2 of them, and the one that he missed (from 57 yards) had plenty of leg and just went a little wide to the left. In fact, Adam's biggest problems so far this season have been from short range (4 missed extra points) and medium range (he is 3 out of 6 from field goal attempts from 40-49 yards.)

I think that it was early enough in the game to take the risk of trying a field goal from the 42-yardline ........ if he made it, great, and if he didn't, it would not have been much different than what actually happened in terms of giving good field position to the Steelers.

As others have pointed out, there were numerous reasons why the Colts lost yesterday's game, and the hypothetical situation that I offered may or may not have made the difference between winning and losing. But I do think that it was a rare bad decision made by Reich, and I think that Vinatieri could have used the confidence boost of making a long field goal at that time.

o

Chromeburn
11-06-2019, 02:54 PM
AV is absolutely done after this season. But, he was not the sole reason we lost that game.

Turnovers kill you. They did in this game. It’s what Pitt does well and the only reason they are still winning.

AV has cost us, but also won us some games. People assume kickers are supposed to be 100% all the time like Madden. Just not how it works. The league is actually hurting for kickers.

Maniac
11-11-2019, 01:05 AM
If they don't cut Vinatieri now, then they are sending a message to the fans and the team that they are more interested in saving face for a hall of fame kicker than actually winning games.

Chaka
11-11-2019, 11:01 AM
If they don't cut Vinatieri now, then they are sending a message to the fans and the team that they are more interested in saving face for a hall of fame kicker than actually winning games.

Maybe it is time to go. I've resisted this idea so far, but the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better and has measurably hurt the Colts. However, you can't treat a guy like Adam Vinatieri the same way you treat an unproven player like Dion Cain. If you want Adam to go, then you have to let him do so gracefully via mid-season retirement.

Maniac
11-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Maybe it is time to go. I've resisted this idea so far, but the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better and has measurably hurt the Colts. However, you can't treat a guy like Adam Vinatieri the same way you treat an unproven player like Dion Cain. If you want Adam to go, then you have to let him do so gracefully via mid-season retirement.

Cutting, retirement, fake injured reserve, whatever.... it doesn't matter. It's time for him to go.

rcubed
11-11-2019, 12:44 PM
he will play out the season then retire. he isnt getting cut. he will bounce back for a bit, but i expect more up/down from him the rest of the season.

we are not going anywhere this year so they will let him play it out.

Maniac
11-11-2019, 12:56 PM
he will play out the season then retire. he isnt getting cut. he will bounce back for a bit, but i expect more up/down from him the rest of the season.

we are not going anywhere this year so they will let him play it out.

That's completely against what Ballard said when he hired in, that there would be no favorites and it was based on how you performed. If he doesn't hold true to that, then he may lose the team. Why would the team want the message from coaching and management that "Oh, you're not winning anyway, so we're keeping this guy who is playing like shit"?

rcubed
11-11-2019, 03:30 PM
That's completely against what Ballard said when he hired in, that there would be no favorites and it was based on how you performed. If he doesn't hold true to that, then he may lose the team. Why would the team want the message from coaching and management that "Oh, you're not winning anyway, so we're keeping this guy who is playing like shit"?

I completely agree. However do you really see them cutting Vinny?

Maniac
11-11-2019, 09:22 PM
I completely agree. However do you really see them cutting Vinny?

No. I expect them to bury their heads in the sand and keep him on the team the rest of the year. I would hope they would find a pinky sprain or something they could use to put him on IR, but I doubt they will.

dwilli57
11-12-2019, 10:49 AM
My ideal: we pick 1 of the guys we've been trying out, AV, being the team player and heads-up guy he is, bows out and mentors the new kid, the kid flourishes under AV's wing, AV saves face and helps the team, retires at the end of the year first ballot hof.
Pipe dream maybe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-12-2019, 11:26 AM
No. I expect them to bury their heads in the sand and keep him on the team the rest of the year. I would hope they would find a pinky sprain or something they could use to put him on IR, but I doubt they will.

It appears Ballard will bring in some free agent kickers for another workout today.

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1194250935993802753

According to multiple sources, the Indianapolis Colts are planning to work out free-agent kickers today. As of Monday night, no decision had been made on the status of Adam Vinatieri, but the Colts want to get a look at what their options are in case they decide to make a change.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-13-2019, 02:33 PM
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1194668855743975427

Frank Reich on Adam Vinatieri: "Adam's our kicker"

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1194669012841639936

Reich: We believe Adam is the answer. Double down on our guys. Keep pressing forward.

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1194669150242844673

Reich: Temperature of locker room is important. Have every reason to believe . . . everyone has upmost confidence in Adam.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1194670573336616961

Here's Frank Reich on why he's sticking with Adam Vinatieri, in addition to citing his leadership and mental toughness: "I just really, really believe in him, and we believe it’s just a phase, and he’s going to help us win games and help us get to where we wanna go."

apballin
11-13-2019, 10:04 PM
I hope he’s right but sure seems like a band member on the titanic right now

Hoopsdoc
11-14-2019, 08:37 AM
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1194668855743975427

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1194669012841639936

https://twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1194669150242844673

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1194670573336616961
Coach speak. No way they haven’t looked around and concluded that there really aren’t any better options out there.

If they truly believed that, they wouldn’t have worked out 6 kickers.

Pez
11-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Coach speak. No way they haven’t looked around and concluded that there really aren’t any better options out there.

If they truly believed that, they wouldn’t have worked out 6 kickers.

Agree completely here. It would be weird to be one of the six kickers they worked out, I would assume all six of them idolize Vinatieri.

Thorgrim
11-14-2019, 02:03 PM
I hope he’s right but sure seems like a band member on the titanic right now

Agreed. I hate the “devil you know” way of dealing with a problem.

1965southpaw
11-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Agreed. I hate the “devil you know” way of dealing with a problem.

At this point, if there really aren't better options out there I'd assume that the way to really solve this problem is to get this team scoring more points so that every game doesn't come down to one extra point or field goal. Sure the Vinny issue is a big issue but in my mind the bigger story is that we can't seem to get this offense on track..............even before the injuries we just weren't putting up enough points. Time for Frank to open up the play book. Now that we are in the heart of the divisional race I have to believe he has some fresh stuff up his sleeve that will surprise the Fags, Tits, and Texicans. I sure as hell hope so.

Maniac
11-14-2019, 06:31 PM
At this point, if there really aren't better options out there I'd assume that the way to really solve this problem is to get this team scoring more points so that every game doesn't come down to one extra point or field goal. Sure the Vinny issue is a big issue but in my mind the bigger story is that we can't seem to get this offense on track..............even before the injuries we just weren't putting up enough points. Time for Frank to open up the play book. Now that we are in the heart of the divisional race I have to believe he has some fresh stuff up his sleeve that will surprise the Fags, Tits, and Texicans. I sure as hell hope so.

Go for 2 every TD if Vinatieri's XP success rate is near what the 2 point conversion rate is.

Colts And Orioles
11-17-2019, 05:12 PM
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/17)

Vinatieri quietly had a good game.

o

JAFF
11-17-2019, 05:34 PM
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/17)

o

The only time he’s noisy is when he misses

ukcolt
11-17-2019, 05:40 PM
His kicks looked good today, and i don't just mean that he made them, the timing etc all looked to be in sync.

YDFL Commish
11-17-2019, 09:19 PM
His kicks looked good today, and i don't just mean that he made them, the timing etc all looked to be in sync.

Agreed, they were true and straight. Watched him in pre-game warmups last week and that was not the case.

Colts And Orioles
11-22-2019, 02:23 PM
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/17)

o
o

(vs. TEXANS, 11/21)

2 consecutive "quiet" games for Vinatieri ...... 3 kicking attempts, 0 misses.

o

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-22-2019, 02:54 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 11/21)

2 consecutive "quiet" games for Vinatieri ...... 3 kicking attempts, 0 misses.

o

FWIW, before the Jacksonville game, Vinatieri stated that he made a slight adjustment with his timing to the approach of the ball.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1196512336183537668

One of the very slight changes Adam Vinatieri made Sunday: he slowed down his approach to the ball. That helped the entire operation run smoother, and helped him hit the sweet spot of the football — something he's struggled with this year.

The result: a much-needed 5-for-5 day.

ukcolt
11-22-2019, 04:51 PM
His last kick yesterday again looked horrible even though he made it. The other 2 kicks looked fine.

Colts And Orioles
12-01-2019, 06:12 PM
o

(vs. TITANS, 12/01)

Vinatieri missed a 55 yard field goal attempt (wide right), and had 2 other attempts blocked (one of which was run back for a touchdown by the opposition.)

He was successful on a 28-yard field goal attempt and 2 extra point attempts.

o

HoosierinFL
12-04-2019, 06:51 PM
We signed a kicker

Puck
12-04-2019, 09:25 PM
o

(vs. TITANS, 12/01)

Vinatieri missed a 55 yard field goal attempt (wide right), and had 2 other attempts blocked (one of which was run back for a touchdown by the opposition.)

He was successful on a 28-yard field goal attempt and 2 extra point attempts.

o

I’m being polite. Cause I like what you bring to the site.

IS THERE ANYWAY YOU CAN SHORTEN YOUR FREAKIN SIGNATURE?????

Colts And Orioles
12-04-2019, 11:00 PM
I’m being polite. Cause I like what you bring to the site.

IS THERE ANYWAY THAT YOU CAN SHORTEN YOUR FREAKIN' SIGNATURE ??????

o

Done.

It's all on the same line, now.

o

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
12-05-2019, 05:46 PM
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1202644089390407685

Vinatieri says he’s had recurring knee pain, had an MRI today, doesn’t know the results of that MRI yet

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1202644371042185217

Viniateri says the pain was a little more sharp yesterday. Felt it last week, on game day and then yesterday

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1202644787700158464

Asked if there’s a chance that he doesn’t kick again this season, Viniateri says “I don’t know.” Says it’s day to day. Says he needs to lean on what the doctors say

Colts And Orioles
12-06-2019, 04:52 PM
o

(vs. BUCCANEERS, 12/08)

T.Y. Hilton, Kenny Moore II, Adam Vinatieri Ruled Out Against Buccaneers

(By Andrew Walker)

https://www.colts.com/news/marlon-mack-parris-campbell-adam-vinatieri-in-out-buccaneers-2019-week-14

o