PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if GBB left for good or not... so here's my summary

ChoppedWood
09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Well, shit!

AV f'd us hard today.

Damn damn damn how nice it is to see a Colts team that in 2 of the last 3 games played just snapped the ball and pushed the ball forward sort of at will with a F-U attitude! I was sitting there waiting for the big play action- and we never ran it- because we could just grind them down. Over the duration of a season, that is going to create such a winning mentality- we are just going to smack you in the face and you're going to like it! That part I freakin' loved. Yeah I know Nelson wasn't the reason for the conversion on 2- that was really Kelly but if you watch that replay, Nelson is so incredibly strong- he pulled his man across his body and about three yards deep in the end zone- from his back (could have very easily been called for a hold).

Jacoby, perfectly fine, excellent game- that throw to Ebron- that was a throw that top caliber starters make. The throw to Funchess to the sideline, great positional throw. The back shoulders back to back- excellent. This game had to build his confidence. I get that it was mostly close to the vest but 21-27 is 77% fucking percent period and 2 TD's- 77% completions and a 175 yard runner, you're gonna win 8 out of 10 times doing that shit- and short of AV shitting the bed, we won this one.

Thrilled with the pash rush, I have been pounding the Tuary drum- I think we have a star in the making- 2 strip sacks (yeah I know one didn't count)- he gets leverage so damn fast- very much reminds me of Mathis.

The bad- The Maniac was sort of on the less than maniacal side today - and I saw him get planted a couple times- very disappointed in his showing today. Interior run game, miserable gap exposure, they let them get pushed directionally and it opened way too many running lanes and the backers were not filling well enough.

Very very very disappointed in the play of the back 4 with the exception of the pick by Hooker. In fact I have to believe Hooker got sat down for a while after that Allen TD where he was 4.5 hours late to recognize the throw. His head down dive on the last run- that's exactly the knock on him- that was middle school level bad. We gave cushions we didn't necessarily rally to the ball well. I thought Geathers looked a step slow in every capacity.

Obviously it goes without saying that ST's was a catastrophe today- but I expect AV will show his grit and he won't be a problem the rest of the year.

Overall- I am pretty optimistic and I expect us to go into TN and play well- I expect Jacoby to start hitting some seam stuff for big YAC. It didn't look like Funchess was hurting too bad, he was back on the sideline, helmet on so I think he would have come back in if we got the ball. I want to see us tighten up some underneath stuff and for Leonard to play at a much higher level.

jasperhobbs
09-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Well, shit!

AV f'd us hard today.

Damn damn damn how nice it is to see a Colts team that in 2 of the last 3 games played just snapped the ball and pushed the ball forward sort of at will with a F-U attitude! I was sitting there waiting for the big play action- and we never ran it- because we could just grind them down. Over the duration of a season, that is going to create such a winning mentality- we are just going to smack you in the face and you're going to like it! That part I freakin' loved. Yeah I know Nelson wasn't the reason for the conversion on 2- that was really Kelly but if you watch that replay, Nelson is so incredibly strong- he pulled his man across his body and about three yards deep in the end zone- from his back (could have very easily been called for a hold).

Jacoby, perfectly fine, excellent game- that throw to Ebron- that was a throw that top caliber starters make. The throw to Funchess to the sideline, great positional throw. The back shoulders back to back- excellent. This game had to build his confidence. I get that it was mostly close to the vest but 21-27 is 77% fucking percent period and 2 TD's- 77% completions and a 175 yard runner, you're gonna win 8 out of 10 times doing that shit- and short of AV shitting the bed, we won this one.

Thrilled with the pash rush, I have been pounding the Tuary drum- I think we have a star in the making- 2 strip sacks (yeah I know one didn't count)- he gets leverage so damn fast- very much reminds me of Mathis.

The bad- The Maniac was sort of on the less than maniacal side today - and I saw him get planted a couple times- very disappointed in his showing today. Interior run game, miserable gap exposure, they let them get pushed directionally and it opened way too many running lanes and the backers were not filling well enough.

Very very very disappointed in the play of the back 4 with the exception of the pick by Hooker. In fact I have to believe Hooker got sat down for a while after that Allen TD where he was 4.5 hours late to recognize the throw. His head down dive on the last run- that's exactly the knock on him- that was middle school level bad. We gave cushions we didn't necessarily rally to the ball well. I thought Geathers looked a step slow in every capacity.

Obviously it goes without saying that ST's was a catastrophe today- but I expect AV will show his grit and he won't be a problem the rest of the year.

Overall- I am pretty optimistic and I expect us to go into TN and play well- I expect Jacoby to start hitting some seam stuff for big YAC. It didn't look like Funchess was hurting too bad, he was back on the sideline, helmet on so I think he would have come back in if we got the ball. I want to see us tighten up some underneath stuff and for Leonard to play at a much higher level.
Good summary. I do hope GBB comes back. Always looked forward to his post game analysis.

Indiana V2
09-08-2019, 08:23 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say, and I am optimistic, too. Brissett was solid, and O-line got better as game went on.

Chromeburn
09-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Good summary. I do hope GBB comes back. Always looked forward to his post game analysis.

Did he retire?

Lov2fish
09-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Did he retire?

Yea the rehab of this place wore him down mentally.

Chromeburn
09-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Yea the rehab of this place wore him down mentally.

Oh, he's lurking. Stop lurking GBB. Chopped Wood is sorry, he is an emotional little girl when it comes to the Colts. Everybody was upset. You know you have a whole analysis written up after that debacle and you are just dying to post it.

ChoppedWood
09-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Oh, he's lurking. Stop lurking GBB. Chopped Wood is sorry, he is an emotional little girl when it comes to the Colts. Everybody was upset. You know you have a whole analysis written up after that debacle and you are just dying to post it.

I am so fucking offended by this. I have been thinking about stopping posting for a long time, trying to battle back from the difficult times of not being able to post at my emotional best has been hard, I know I've given it everything I had it's just time for me to move on without posts here. Seeing people like you typing these negative things, I have to be honest, it hurts.

Colt Classic
09-08-2019, 09:04 PM

He left in a huff over people daring to be mad at Luck. Surprised he doesn't have a job with the local media.

Hoopsdoc
09-08-2019, 09:16 PM
He left in a huff over people daring to be mad at Luck. Surprised he doesn't have a job with the local media.

Yeah, that was one of the snowflakiest displays I’ve ever seen.

Not to mention, if he swore off this board because of the sentiments on Luck, he swore off every Colts board, because those same sentiments were on every board I saw.

YDFL Commish
09-08-2019, 09:18 PM

We all did. But alas some people are too pussified for this forum. Sherck, where are you?

YDFL Commish
09-08-2019, 09:19 PM
I'm encouraged that, yes...we showed we have a good team. The run defense struggles early, were I believe the normal 1st game rustiness, late it was fatigue, I think Tyquan Lewis could have helped there, and with the lack of inside pass rush.

At some point Reich will have to hand the keys to Brissett.

I like that we played disciplined football.

Why does Matthew Adams play? Just go with a 3 safety look on all but short yardage and goal line.

Definitely disappointed in the ST play. AV cost us this game. Why does he always have his worst games vs SD...in 2 different stadiums no less?

Funchess and Cain make us much better at WR.

ChoppedWood
09-08-2019, 09:25 PM
I'm encouraged that, yes...we showed we have a good team. The run defense struggles early, were I believe the normal 1st game rustiness, late it was fatigue, I think Tyquan Lewis could have helped there, and with the lack of inside pass rush.

At some point Reich will have to hand the keys to Brissett.

I like that we played disciplined football.

Why does Matthew Adams play? Just go with a 3 safety look on all but short yardage and goal line.

Definitely disappointed in the ST play. AV cost us this game. Why does he always have his worst games vs SD...in 2 different stadiums no less?

Funchess and Cain make us much better at WR.

Man I really do think Cain is going to emerge as something that defenses are going to HATE to have to deal with.

Colt Classic
09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
We all did. But alas some people are too pussified for this forum. Sherck, where are you?

They probably went to the Colts reddit. That's all happy memes and sunshiners over there.

DrSpaceman
09-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Fucking Chargers and SD. Through multiple coaches, QBs, Gms, years, they always find a weird way to screw us

Anyone remember Mannings 5 INT game in SD where the team came back and then AV missed a chip shot FG for the win? OR tie maybe, but anyway he missed and we lost. Reminded me of this

Colts just GAVE AWAY the game. Stupid mistakes

AVs misses for one, that is 7 points

The blocked punt gave them 3 points. BLOCK ON STs BEFORE YOU RUN DOWNFIELD! The secondary blocker ran right by the guy who got a hand on it

Justin Houston offsides on a key 3rd down, he was not the one to make the play, then right after that SD runs a screen for a TD

That stupid penalty on the FG to give then a TD. Still not sure about that call. They weren't lined up over the center, I thought that was the rule.

The drop by Ebron. Again a questionable call. he rolled on his back and had the ball before he was out of bounds, don't care what they say.

Frustrating game, but its one I think we all expected to lose

That throw by Brissett to Ebron, that was a god damn bullet and perfect pass. He has a rocket arm.

Marlon Mack with the career game, hope he keeps it up. Helps my fantasy team too.

The D though, just sorely disappointed. Missed tackles. Can't defend the screen pass worth shit. There is a pass rush though.

Its like all the things that we questioned were Ok and all the things we thought would be better or solid, weren't

As far GBB, come on man, this isn't those pussy ass Colts boards. We are adults. Shit gets said, but we are all die hard fans here.

DrSpaceman
09-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Also for the kicking game, I wonder if this being a new stadium made a difference for AV. Never kicked there before

That last miss though he just completely botched. Didn't hit it clean and it was off to the left.

And that INT by Hooker, one of the best defensive plays for the Colts in years. One handed INT on the run right when it looked like a TD and game over

Flexo
09-08-2019, 10:37 PM
I hope GBB comes back, he was my favorite post game article to read, here or anywhere in professional media. I always lurk this place and refresh after games waiting for him and Omaha to post.

Flexo
09-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Also when it went to overtime I knew one hundred percent we would lose the coin toss and never see the ball

apballin
09-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Shitty loss but encouraged by the offensive line and Brissett makes quick decisive throws, D was shaky but love seeing Hooker getting his timing down and Turay looks like he can be a game wrecker

rcubed
09-09-2019, 02:11 AM
Oline was good. Run game was good. Brissett was better than I expected. TY had a classic TY move to get his td.

Defense was disappointing. Wth, Adam!?

Oh, and DEON FUCKING CAIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omahacolt
09-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Also when it went to overtime I knew one hundred percent we would lose the coin toss and never see the ball

Yep. I had the same thought

dwilli57
09-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Very encouraged by what I saw and really excited to see where this team goes. I'm out of market but RedZone showed a lot since there were only 5 late games. But Adam....WTF??? Hopefully he gets that shit figured out. My God.

Racehorse
09-09-2019, 07:23 AM
I’m not a kicker, so I don’t know much about this, but I think I heard the announcers say that they played on a soccer pitch instead of a football pitch and that may have contributed to it a bit. However, don’t kickers get onto the field prior to test out the surface?

DrSpaceman
09-09-2019, 07:45 AM
One other thing on Brissett :

Looked great in clutch time. The two minute drill to drive for the FG, though it was missed, and then the final drive. Mostly was just handing off there and it started with 8 minutes left, but still, drove the team for the tie score. Did his job as the QB.

No turnovers either. May be one advantage of him over Luck

And the QB sneak is back in play. He picked up that easily. I don't think they would run that with Luck due to his injury history.

ChoppedWood
09-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Looked great in clutch time. The two minute drill to drive for the FG, though it was missed, and then the final drive. Mostly was just handing off there and it started with 8 minutes left, but still, drove the team for the tie score. Did his job as the QB.

And the QB sneak is back in play. He picked up that easily. I don't think they would run that with Luck due to his injury history.

I think that as they become more comfortable with it, Brisset is going to be given more flexibility in that read option - and I think he is going to do tremendous damage getting out to the left side with Nelson and AC leading him.

I really think this is going to be a terrifying offense down the road.

VeveJones007
09-09-2019, 10:27 AM
I’m not a kicker, so I don’t know much about this, but I think I heard the announcers say that they played on a soccer pitch instead of a football pitch and that may have contributed to it a bit. However, don’t kickers get onto the field prior to test out the surface?

That field was perfectly fine. Vinatieri just sucked. That shit just happens with kickers. You can only hope that it happens once in a blue moon.

VeveJones007
09-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Brissett played really fucking well yesterday. Reich definitely put him in good position to succeed like we thought he would, but there were quick decisions, pace on the ball, accuracy, presence of mind to get the ball out quickly when there was a rush coming.

Hopefully he can keep it up and show it even when the running game is struggling.

rcubed
09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
I think that as they become more comfortable with it, Brisset is going to be given more flexibility in that read option - and I think he is going to do tremendous damage getting out to the left side with Nelson and AC leading him.

I really think this is going to be a terrifying offense down the road.
brissett did well and I am not bagging on him, but I am not sure he will ever be terrifying.

Oldcolt
09-09-2019, 01:41 PM
brissett did well and I am not bagging on him, but I am not sure he will ever be terrifying.

He may not be but I think this offense may be, given time

Hoopsdoc
09-09-2019, 04:48 PM
That field was perfectly fine. Vinatieri just sucked. That shit just happens with kickers. You can only hope that it happens once in a blue moon.

How confident are we that Vinny bounces back from this? As someone else noted, he’s been trending down since the end of last year. In that sample, he’s been awful.

If he was still in his 30’s, I wouldn’t be as concerned. But the dude is 45. There is a decent chance he’s reached the end.

JAFF
09-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Fucking Chargers and SD. Through multiple coaches, QBs, Gms, years, they always find a weird way to screw us

Anyone remember Mannings 5 INT game in SD where the team came back and then AV missed a chip shot FG for the win? OR tie maybe, but anyway he missed and we lost. Reminded me of this

Colts just GAVE AWAY the game. Stupid mistakes

AVs misses for one, that is 7 points

The blocked punt gave them 3 points. BLOCK ON STs BEFORE YOU RUN DOWNFIELD! The secondary blocker ran right by the guy who got a hand on it

Justin Houston offsides on a key 3rd down, he was not the one to make the play, then right after that SD runs a screen for a TD

That stupid penalty on the FG to give then a TD. Still not sure about that call. They weren't lined up over the center, I thought that was the rule.

The drop by Ebron. Again a questionable call. he rolled on his back and had the ball before he was out of bounds, don't care what they say.

Frustrating game, but its one I think we all expected to lose

That throw by Brissett to Ebron, that was a god damn bullet and perfect pass. He has a rocket arm.

Marlon Mack with the career game, hope he keeps it up. Helps my fantasy team too.

The D though, just sorely disappointed. Missed tackles. Can't defend the screen pass worth shit. There is a pass rush though.

Its like all the things that we questioned were Ok and all the things we thought would be better or solid, weren't

As far GBB, come on man, this isn't those pussy ass Colts boards. We are adults. Shit gets said, but we are all die hard fans here.

And they didn't even play in SD. Must be the Southern California area in general

ChoppedWood
09-09-2019, 05:54 PM

I don't know, don't know....

I don't know any more about him than the next guy obviously. What I do think though is that he is a guy people are going to look to as a leader and if he can build confidence to the level that guys on this squad start thinking "ya know what, we don't need Luck to do this, he's pretty F'ing good", I think JB could explode under Reich's guidance.

I was out so it was hard to keep track but I kept seeing posts in the game day thread about how they had no confidence in him, that Luck had sapped all the energy from the team. I kept seeing a guy making good reads and delivering some nice throws and orchestrating a good team.

The guy has a rocket arm, it may not be a laser rocket arm, and it may never get to that laser level. But I gotta believe with 4 guys like TY, Cain, PC, and Hines- we're going to see some monster bomb TD's. If we can establish the run like we have shown we can- dude has the chance to destroy some defenses with the deep ball.

One thing we knew about Luck- he was tough, ummmm Brisset got sacked 52 fucking times- and he got up and played pretty much every down. I think we can already pin that toughness label on JB as well.

Racehorse
09-09-2019, 06:20 PM
I don't know, don't know....

I don't know any more about him than the next guy obviously. What I do think though is that he is a guy people are going to look to as a leader and if he can build confidence to the level that guys on this squad start thinking "ya know what, we don't need Luck to do this, he's pretty F'ing good", I think JB could explode under Reich's guidance.

I was out so it was hard to keep track but I kept seeing posts in the game day thread about how they had no confidence in him, that Luck had sapped all the energy from the team. I kept seeing a guy making good reads and delivering some nice throws and orchestrating a good team.

The guy has a rocket arm, it may not be a laser rocket arm, and it may never get to that laser level. But I gotta believe with 4 guys like TY, Cain, PC, and Hines- we're going to see some monster bomb TD's. If we can establish the run like we have shown we can- dude has the chance to destroy some defenses with the deep ball.

One thing we knew about Luck- he was tough, ummmm Brisset got sacked 52 fucking times- and he got up and played pretty much every down. I think we can already pin that toughness label on JB as well.
He's not Luck, but he is pretty good...based on one game.

ChoppedWood
09-09-2019, 06:55 PM
He's not Luck, but he is pretty good...based on one game.

I kinda look at it from the standpoint of what Reich / Sirani can do for a guy in terms of game elevation.

I think they can take a good player that wants to work hard and commit to the program, and they can put them in the upper tier of QB play, maybe top 12-15 guys at the position.

I was on Brisset way back saying I thought he was a guy that could get it done.

I know we have a very limited sample size but it won't take me a lot of games to move all the way to the VERY good player, turned into an elite level QB just based on the fact he came in as a skilled guy that needed some refinement and some skilled guys around him, including manning the sidelines.

I kind of look at Luck as a baseline HOF'er regardless of coach, but with Reich he could have elevated to icon stature with multiple MVPs.

DragonTails
09-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Are we bringing in any kickers tomorrow?

Chromeburn
09-09-2019, 08:01 PM
One game doesn’t make or break a career. Going to see where we are six games in. Can Brisset pass us to a win when the run is shut down?

Hoopsdoc
09-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Briskets performance yesterday was really encouraging. He may not play in a more challenging atmosphere all season and he was really really good.

VeveJones007
09-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Briskets performance yesterday was really encouraging. He may not play in a more challenging atmosphere all season and he was really really good.

Atmosphere in KC will be brutal on SNF and trying to keep pace with Maholmes.

Hoopsdoc
09-10-2019, 04:21 AM
Atmosphere in KC will be brutal on SNF and trying to keep pace with Maholmes.

I agree. I meant the 110 degree heat.

VeveJones007
09-10-2019, 10:28 AM
I agree. I meant the 110 degree heat.

It was 80 degrees with no humidity. Trust me, I live 25 minutes away and it was a pretty nice day.

Hoopsdoc
09-10-2019, 01:03 PM
It was 80 degrees with no humidity. Trust me, I live 25 minutes away and it was a pretty nice day.

Alright then forget I said anything, smartass.

:D

JAFF
09-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Are we bringing in any kickers tomorrow?

Wow, funny guy

JAFF
09-10-2019, 04:49 PM

You think playing in a tiny soccer stadium is harder than playing in KC or NO?

Hoopsdoc
09-10-2019, 08:03 PM
You think playing in a tiny soccer stadium is harder than playing in KC or NO?

For some reason I was thinking it was really really hot. I also watched part of the Chiefs/Jags game and it was really hot there. I must have gotten the games mixed up.

JAFF
09-10-2019, 08:27 PM
For some reason I was thinking it was really really hot. I also watched part of the Chiefs/Jags game and it was really hot there. I must have gotten the games mixed up.

You mean physically hot? Yes, LA is a heat island in September. KC is one of the loudest, intense, and vocal stadiums in the NFL. Huge home field advantage, as opposed to that 30 000 seat soccer stadium in LA, which had a fair share of Colts fans