PDA

View Full Version : We just signed Hoyer- 3 yr 12 M, 9M Guaranteed

Workhorse
09-02-2019, 09:45 AM
The Colts signed Brian Hoyer to a 3 year $12 million deal.

ChoppedWood
09-02-2019, 09:47 AM
I like the signing, but man that looks like we are making him our backup instead of a 2 game guy.

I do like the fact that's a new Pats QB- the systems look very similar...

IndyNorm
09-02-2019, 10:35 AM
I like the signing, but man that looks like we are making him our backup instead of a 2 game guy.

I agree. Like the signing but that's quite a bit of guaranteed cash. Think we may have gotten into a bit of a bidding war.

Racehorse
09-02-2019, 10:48 AM
I agree. Like the signing but that's quite a bit of guaranteed cash. Think we may have gotten into a bit of a bidding war.

I see it as guaranteeing insurance in case Brissett flames out and Kelly stops taking his meds.

Workhorse
09-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Since we don’t have cap issues, does a 3 year deal mean they may not extend Brissett?

Hoopsdoc
09-02-2019, 11:00 AM
I see it as guaranteeing insurance in case Brissett flames out and Kelly stops taking his meds.

But Walker is on the practice squad. We’re not carrying 4 quarterbacks. Kelly looks like the odd man out to me.

nate505
09-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Good. He's about the best competent backup the Colts could have got at this point in time.

JAFF
09-02-2019, 11:42 AM
:(But Walker is on the practice squad. We’re not carrying 4 quarterbacks. Kelly looks like the odd man out to me.

Kelly cant be on the active roster. 2 game suspension. He may push someone off the PC when he returns

Racehorse
09-02-2019, 11:48 AM
But Walker is on the practice squad. We’re not carrying 4 quarterbacks. Kelly looks like the odd man out to me.

If I recall it right, we have an extra CB and an extra RB on the roster now.

Racehorse
09-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Since we don’t have cap issues, does a 3 year deal mean they may not extend Brissett?

It’s insurance just in case

JAFF
09-02-2019, 11:55 AM

No, it means:

1. They have a backup for the next 3 years
2. There were probably several teams who were interested, competition drives up the price
3. Brissett has an agent. Why would he take an extension now? If Brissett is betting on himself (and if hes going to be a great QB he should bet on himself) he will have the advantage in contract negotiations.
4. See above. If Brissett negotiations drag on, the team can still function.
5. Why give him a new contract now? What if he sucks. Colts have a sub 500 season, you trade up in the draft and get a qb. Cut jakob and you have hoyer until rookie is ready.

They sign Brissett to an extention I’d be shocked.

Hoopsdoc
09-02-2019, 12:06 PM
:(

Kelly cant be on the active roster. 2 game suspension. He may push someone off the PC when he returns

But if you’re planning on signing Hoyer and keeping Kelly after the suspension, why sign Walker to the practice squad? It doesn’t make sense.

You sign Hoyer to be the backup, and if that falls through, THEN you sign Walker to the PS.

I’m thinking Kelly is not in the future plans either way.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-02-2019, 12:13 PM
But if you’re planning on signing Hoyer and keeping Kelly after the suspension, why sign Walker to the practice squad? It doesn’t make sense.

Because you can easily release Walker from the practice squad?

Walker was released / signed back to the practice squad 8 times last season.

Also - at the time they signed Walker to the PS, Ballard hadn't decided who was going to be the back-up. The front office was weighing the pros / cons of a backup like Hoyer vs. a 2 game stop-gap to Kelly.

Hoopsdoc
09-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Because you can easily release Walker from the practice squad?

Walker was released / signed back to the practice squad 8 times last season.

Also - at the time they signed Walker to the PS, Ballard hadn't decided who was going to be the back-up. The front office was weighing the pros / cons of a backup like Hoyer vs. a 2 game stop-gap to Kelly.

But if you’ve settled on Kelly as the backup and you’re not sure, but you think you might sign Hoyer, it still doesn’t make sense to waste a PS spot on Walker. As you said, he was off and on all year last year. He’s not going anywhere.

Put a guy like Gerri Green on the practice squad instead wasting a spot on Walker, a guy who isn’t sniffing any other roster. Instead, Walkers on the practice squad and Green is scooped up by New England.

It’s just weird and I think a telltale sign of how they view Kelly and Walker.

Racehorse
09-02-2019, 12:56 PM
But if you’ve settled on Kelly as the backup and you’re not sure, but you think you might sign Hoyer, it still doesn’t make sense to waste a PS spot on Walker. As you said, he was off and on all year last year. He’s not going anywhere.

Put a guy like Gerri Green on the practice squad instead wasting a spot on Walker, a guy who isn’t sniffing any other roster. Instead, Walkers on the practice squad and Green is scooped up by New England.

It is possible that Green was offered a spot and he was also offered other spots and chose to sign elsewhere to get a chance to play sooner.

Dam8610
09-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Who was cut to sign Hoyer?

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-02-2019, 12:59 PM

There are currently open spots on the practice squad. Walker is not preventing the signing of another player to the squad as it stands right now.

Green chose to sign with the Cheats. I guess Green or his agent thought there is a clearer pathway to playing time with them. The Colts had hoped to sign Green to their practice squad.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1168212033113866240

Sixth-round DE Gerri Green is headed to the Patriots practice squad, per source

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1168213524621008897

Colts did want him back, I was told.

IndyNorm
09-02-2019, 01:00 PM

I think you're right, and Hoyer's contract probably means we'll be keeping him at least 2 seasons. Hope we still hang onto Kelly unless he screws up again.

Hoopsdoc
09-02-2019, 01:06 PM
There are currently open spots on the practice squad. Walker is not preventing the signing of another player to the squad as it stands right now.

Green chose to sign with the Cheats. I guess Green or his agent thought there is a clearer pathway to playing time with them. The Colts had hoped to sign Green to their practice squad.

But if Walkers not in your future plans, you don’t sign him at all.

Edit-I suppose they’re thinking they’ll hold on to Walker until week 3, then release him and replace him with Kelly. That way, the Chargers or whoever we play in week 2 can’t sign him just for our game. That makes sense.

VeveJones007
09-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Rule of thumb: any 3 year NFL deal is really a 1 year deal with two team options. This in no way guarantees Hoyer is a Colt last 2019.

Chromeburn
09-02-2019, 02:35 PM

He is our backup, you don’t sign a guy like that if you want him for two games. It makes sense. He knows Jacoby, so they should work well together in the QB room.

denvercoltfan
09-02-2019, 03:30 PM

You sign Hoyer to be the backup, and if that falls through, THEN you sign Walker to the PS.

I’m thinking Kelly is not in the future plans either way.

they put Walker on the PS before they knew that'd get Hoyer which made sense (to have 2 Qb's for the first 2 games). after week 2, it's extremely unlikely Walker will be on the PS.

JAFF
09-02-2019, 03:44 PM

2 Qbs on the roster, one on the PS is not unusual. They need an extra arm for practice. Its not that big of a deal. Kelly comes back they probably cut walker.

Chromeburn
09-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Might get a ring just sitting on the squad. If your going to sit on one, might as well take that extra chance you win.

JAFF
09-02-2019, 04:14 PM
News link

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-indianapolis-colts-sign-ex-patriots-qb-brian-hoyer/ar-AAGHiot

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
09-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Who was cut to sign Hoyer?

The Colts waived S Rolan Milligan as the corresponding roster move.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1168608708059963392

We have signed QB Brian Hoyer and waived S Rolan Milligan.

JAFF
09-02-2019, 05:46 PM
No, it means:

They sign Brissett to an extention I’d be shocked.

I'm shocked

Luck4Reich
09-02-2019, 05:56 PM
I'm shocked

Why shocked at what makes sense?

JAFF
09-02-2019, 06:02 PM

He plays well, and they can't sign him to an extention, they would be forced to put the franchise tag on him. He gave the Colts a big break.

ChoppedWood
09-02-2019, 06:21 PM
$15M for a SB winning QB is not bad at all...

Butter
09-02-2019, 07:04 PM
But if Walkers not in your future plans, you don’t sign him at all.

Edit-I suppose they’re thinking they’ll hold on to Walker until week 3, then release him and replace him with Kelly. That way, the Chargers or whoever we play in week 2 can’t sign him just for our game. That makes sense.

Or they like Walker as a scout team QB.

DrSpaceman
09-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Surprised it seems Kelly is the odd man out, but will see what happens when the two weeks suspension is over

Hope he gets a shot somewhere and keeps his head on straight now. He has the talent, many than a lot of these back ups

Colt Classic
09-02-2019, 08:26 PM
I don't think it's possible to definitively say that Brissett is a better QB than Kelly. The moves they have made now pretty much guarantee they're all-in with Jacoby.

JAFF
09-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Surprised it seems Kelly is the odd man out, but will see what happens when the two weeks suspension is over

Hope he gets a shot somewhere and keeps his head on straight now. He has the talent, many than a lot of these back ups

Why do you think Kelly is out? If the Colts didnt want to keep him, why not just release him? What are they waiting for?

smitty46953
09-02-2019, 10:35 PM
they put Walker on the PS before they knew that'd get Hoyer which made sense (to have 2 Qb's for the first 2 games). after week 2, it's extremely unlikely Walker will be on the PS.

Welcome aboard denvercoltfan … :cool:

Coltsalr
09-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Why do you think Kelly is out? If the Colts didnt want to keep him, why not just release him? What are they waiting for?

His suspension to conclude.

Butter
09-03-2019, 03:07 AM
His suspension to conclude.

Some people don't think it be like it is, but it do. Seriously the Colts have nothing to gain by cutting him before he is reinstated since he is not counting against the roster.

Chromeburn
09-03-2019, 02:25 PM

My guess is they don't want to take on a developmental QB right now. I bet they target a QB in the next two drafts.

Run with Brisset. Have a experienced vet back him up (doesn't hurt he is from a potential playoff competitior) in case he gets hurt.

Have Walker as the scout team QB because he emulates scrambling QB's well.

Chromeburn
09-03-2019, 03:09 PM
A little on what Hoyer will bring to the QB room.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1168885001187942403

JAFF
09-03-2019, 05:01 PM

No, i posted in a different thread that I thought they would wait it out.

Luck4Reich
09-03-2019, 05:15 PM
No, i posted in a different thread that I thought they would wait it out.

First time I've seen someone respond twice to the same post.:cool:

JAFF
09-03-2019, 07:00 PM
First time I've seen someone respond twice to the same post.:cool:

I got asked twice

Luck4Reich
09-03-2019, 08:01 PM
I got asked twice

My question was posted ONCE and you answered it TWICE.

smitty46953
09-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Maybe he wasn't sure you read the first one? :cool:

Luck4Reich
09-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Maybe he wasn't sure you read the first one? :cool:

Or I should have ignored him twice.:cool: