PDA

View Full Version : Brock Osweiler in for a look

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Ok, I was feeling kinda good, felt like we had a good plan. I know Walker is not going to be the 2nd coming of Johnny U, but seriously how bleak do you have to view the 2nd stringer that you would consider Osweiler as a last ditch guy?

I am staring at you Chris Ballard- I mean WTF, why no Scott Tolzein?

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Ok, I was feeling kinda good, felt like we had a good plan. I know Walker is not going to be the 2nd coming of Johnny U, but seriously how bleak do you have to view the 2nd stringer that you would consider Osweiler as a last ditch guy?

He is a two game stop gap plan. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Brylok
08-28-2019, 03:24 PM
I guess we have to prepare ourselves for the quick parade of sub-par scrub veteran QBs to come through before signing one this weekend. I've read on other sites that one will be signed by the end of the weekend. Luck really screwed us good.

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 03:28 PM
He is a two game stop gap plan. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Yes, I understand. It is Brock Osweiler. I have to go hug the toilet.

Chaka
08-28-2019, 03:32 PM

I see no harm in kicking the tires on these kind of guys given our circumstances.

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 03:41 PM
I see no harm in kicking the tires on these kind of guys given our circumstances.

It's Brock Osweiler.

Is Kerry Collins not available or something? How about Bubbie Brister? Have they dialed up Mark Sanchez?

I know what we have to do, I promise you I do. It's Brock Osweiler that is all.

Chaka
08-28-2019, 03:48 PM
It's Brock Osweiler.

Is Kerry Collins not available or something? How about Bubbie Brister? Have they dialed up Mark Sanchez?

I know what we have to do, I promise you I do. It's Brock Osweiler that is all.

It get it, but just trying to be practical about the whole thing. The choices are pretty limited at this point, and I'd be reluctant to trade anything of significance for someone else's backup who would need to learn our system, and would not be a long term solution.

I won't argue that Osweiler is has done anything deserving of optimism to this point. The best that can be said is that at one point, three or four years ago, he was relatively well thought of and at least two teams (Denver and Houston) were prepared to give him a mega-contract. Looks like he played ok for Miami last year in limited duty too. So you might do worse as a backup, that's all I'm saying. Every once in a while one of these type of guys suddenly finds his footing and plays way better than expected.

DrSpaceman
08-28-2019, 04:01 PM
As mentioned this is for two games as a back up.

Its a worst case scenario.

He is better than Phillip Walker, waste of roster space even at 90 men.

smitty46953
08-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Bottom of Barrell meets spoon … :eek:

Chaka
08-28-2019, 04:18 PM
Pretty sure this will irritate people, but I just took a look at Jim Harbaugh's stats before he came to Indy and they don't look all that much better than Osweiler's, with the notable exception that Jim was a couple years older and had a more pronounced period of mediocrity before joining the Colts:

Harbaugh:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarbJi00.htm

Osweiler:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OsweBr00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Jim was a much better leader, certainly, but again, I think we could do worse as a backup than Osweiler

Pez
08-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Lets give Tebow a look too. Surely he's not still playing baseball?

Oldcolt
08-28-2019, 04:27 PM
It's a good move because of the position we have been put in by Luck retiring 15 days before the season starts. Sucks but what can you do.

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 04:39 PM
It's a good move because of the position we have been put in by Luck retiring 15 days before the season starts. Sucks but what can you do.

You can- not bring Brock Osweiler onto your campus, that's one thing you can do!

Shame on you for saying it is a good move. Kyle Orton has his head in his hands in disgust.

As for the comparison between him and Harbaugh, I know Jim Harbaugh, and Brock Osweiler, you are no Jim Harbaugh, or Jim Sorgi, or Jim Everett for that matter.

Can someone get Billy Volek on the red line please? Thanks!

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 04:43 PM
You can- not bring Brock Osweiler onto your campus, that's one thing you can do!

Shame on you for saying it is a good move. Kyle Orton has his head in his hands in disgust.

As for the comparison between him and Harbaugh, I know Jim Harbaugh, and Brock Osweiler, you are no Jim Harbaugh, or Jim Sorgi, or Jim Everett for that matter.

Can someone get Billy Volek on the red line please? Thanks!

Who would you suggest Ballard go after.

Oldcolt
08-28-2019, 04:45 PM
appropriately shamed

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Who would you suggest Ballard go after.

I probably wouldn't to be honest. I'm not sitting here saying Yay Phil Walker either. However, he's been with us for a couple years, he gets to go through the play book, he gets to have some level of reps with these guys, he knows the routine here. So in a super pinch, which this is kinda what Luck has put us in, if I have to play him the 3rd play of the 1st game for 8 quarters, I like my chances better there than somebody that has no idea what the F we do at all- i.e. asking Kerry Collins to come in on an empty stomach back in the Peyton lost season.

If I was forced to look around, I would be looking to see if I could get a guy like Schaub or Weeden for a pack of cigs and a cold beer. Hell you could even ask Cassel if he had any desire to play a game or two just to bring the whole thing to a maddenly ironic ending...

I'm just stirring up shit with this post mostly in jest but seriously Osweiler is among the very worst players I have ever seen take snaps- he looks like a giraffe trying to run the 100 hurdles... he's a mess.

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 05:00 PM
I probably wouldn't to be honest. I'm not sitting here saying Yay Phil Walker either. However, he's been with us for a couple years, he gets to go through the play book, he gets to have some level of reps with these guys, he knows the routine here. So in a super pinch, which this is kinda what Luck has put us in, if I have to play him the 3rd play of the 1st game for 8 quarters, I like my chances better there than somebody that has no idea what the F we do at all- i.e. asking Kerry Collins to come in on an empty stomach back in the Peyton lost season.

If I was forced to look around, I would be looking to see if I could get a guy like Schaub or Weeden for a pack of cigs and a cold beer. Hell you could even ask Cassel if he had any desire to play a game or two just to bring the whole thing to a maddenly ironic ending...

I'm just stirring up shit with this post mostly in jest but seriously Osweiler is among the very worst players I have ever seen take snaps- he looks like a giraffe trying to run the 100 hurdles... he's a mess.

Sorry to quote myself, but didn't Polian give Collins like Aaron Rodgers level money or some shit? I'm still convinced that was some deal where he worked back door for Collins to just sign, claim he was hurt, and then give 80% of that stolen cash back to Bill out the back door...

Brylok
08-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Kerry Collins got $4M and did basically nothing

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Bad ass gig if you can land it!

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 05:19 PM

I guess that would be one way to throw away the season.

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 05:26 PM
I guess that would be one way to throw away the season.

We are talking 2 games, period. If Brisset gets hurt, or if he really really sucks, the ball is going to Kelly period, it's not going to Brock fucking Osweiller for the first snap of game 3- unless of course Kelly goes and gets high and camps on some strangers couch.

I really like Venturi, I think most people think he knows his shit, Venturi is firm that Chad Kelly can be a legitimate long term starter in this league and if it weren't for his troubles last season he would be a Bronco and would be looked at as a potential long term QB.

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 05:34 PM
We are talking 2 games, period. If Brisset gets hurt, or if he really really sucks, the ball is going to Kelly period, it's not going to Brock fucking Osweiller for the first snap of game 3- unless of course Kelly goes and gets high and camps on some strangers couch.

I really like Venturi, I think most people think he knows his shit, Venturi is firm that Chad Kelly can be a legitimate long term starter in this league and if it weren't for his troubles last season he would be a Bronco and would be looked at as a potential long term QB.

I was referring to having Walker get us to 0-2 to start the season.

JAFF
08-28-2019, 06:48 PM
I was referring to having Walker get us to 0-2 to start the season.

So Brisset is going to get broken before the first game?

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 08:37 PM
So Brisset is going to get broken before the first game?

According to chopped wood

Colt Classic
08-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Lets give Tebow a look too. Surely he's not still playing baseball?

https://i.ibb.co/VD7zn2r/20190718-193623.jpg (https://ibb.co/nfHYdzZ)

The numbers he put up this year in Triple A aren't good enough for a long career on the diamond.

Chromeburn
08-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Yes he did. He got us Luck.

Genius really, Peyton had one of the fastest releases and got killed behind that line. Lets get a QB with one of the slowest releases around to replace him. Wasn't a whole lot of selection though.

JAFF
08-28-2019, 10:02 PM
Maybe Tampa Bay will cut their starting QB and the Colts can get him on the cheap

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 10:22 PM
Maybe Tampa Bay will cut their starting QB and the Colts can get him on the cheap

Free crab legs for everyone after every pic 6!

Spike
08-29-2019, 12:56 AM

Kelly looked damn good in preseason, rather have him running this offensive than Osweiller.

JAFF
08-29-2019, 05:36 AM
Kelly looked damn good in preseason, rather have him running this offensive than Osweiller.

I think a lot of us feel that way, but.........

Kelly will miss the first two games. If they are interviewing vets, Im guessing they dont want a replay of Ballards first year when they had to use a pick to trade for Brisset.

ChoppedWood
08-29-2019, 08:03 AM
I think a lot of us feel that way, but.........

Kelly will miss the first two games. If they are interviewing vets, Im guessing they dont want a replay of Ballards first year when they had to use a pick to trade for Brisset.

I still don't understand though, what does a trash heap vet give you that Walker doesn't over 2 games? At least Walker has knowledge of system and has been under center for the Colts, the guys you are talking about now as a potential stop gap, they got nothing but a Comfort Inn and suites Platinum card. I'm just not sure how any of them help in that small 2 game window?

Pez
08-29-2019, 08:23 AM
I still don't understand though, what does a trash heap vet give you that Walker doesn't over 2 games? At least Walker has knowledge of system and has been under center for the Colts, the guys you are talking about now as a potential stop gap, they got nothing but a Comfort Inn and suites Platinum card. I'm just not sure how any of them help in that small 2 game window?

Agree here, We go with Walker and if Brisket goes down within the first 8 quarters of the season, so be it.

Next year I think we have to do some looking. We have two second rounders next year. I would not be surprised if Ballard looks to use those to trade up and get someone.

Starting to get stoked to see Brissett play.

ChoppedWood
08-29-2019, 08:33 AM
Agree here, We go with Walker and if Brisket goes down within the first 8 quarters of the season, so be it.

Next year I think we have to do some looking. We have two second rounders next year. I would not be surprised if Ballard looks to use those to trade up and get someone.

Starting to get stoked to see Brissett play.

Me too, and I'm sort of framing up a case that Frank may be the next great quarterback whisperer. He's got a hell of a resume going so far with Wentz, Foles, and Luck playing just lights out ball under his direction. If Jacoby does the same, then I think we can really breathe a deep sigh knowing that we've got a guy who can really have a big impact on the position from the sidelines. If that turns out to be the case, we could oddly be set for a long time with JB and Kelly and then you just have to find some project periodically to work with and keep in the herd. Though I do think that Kelly has the potential to get picked off by somebody via trade down the road (if he doesn't emerge as our starter).

smitty46953
08-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

This past week, as the #Colts look at options for their backup QB job, they visited with and worked out FA QBs Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden, and Brock Osweiler, I’m told. No decision yet on who they are signing, or if they’ll wait until roster cuts come from the other 31.

:cool:

Chaka
08-29-2019, 09:48 AM

You have convinced me, I think we should go with Walker instead. Unless the Colts are looking for a longer term backup for some reason.