PDA

View Full Version : How good does Brissett have to be?

DrSpaceman
08-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Putting my Colts homer glasses on now, I was thinking about Brissett and in comparison to Luck and realized, that is not really the comparison we should be making

He won't be Andrew Luck and that can't be the expectation. He is not going to carry this team himself or the offense himself. But in reality, we don't need him to be that.

The question is, can he be as good as a young Carson Wentz and/or Nick Foles. Reich won a SB as an OC with those two as QB.

I do think he can be as good as those two players. That is not an unrealistic view for him.

I don't know that he will be right away, but given time in this system and some better time as a starter for a real offense, with a real OL, not that shitshow we saw with derelict coaches in 2017, he can be as good as Wentz/Foles.

VeveJones007
08-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Putting my Colts homer glasses on now, I was thinking about Brissett and in comparison to Luck and realized, that is not really the comparison we should be making

He won't be Andrew Luck and that can't be the expectation. He is not going to carry this team himself or the offense himself. But in reality, we don't need him to be that.

The question is, can he be as good as a young Carson Wentz and/or Nick Foles. Reich won a SB as an OC with those two as QB.

I do think he can be as good as those two players. That is not an unrealistic view for him.

I don't know that he will be right away, but given time in this system and some better time as a starter for a real offense, with a real OL, not that shitshow we saw with derelict coaches in 2017, he can be as good as Wentz/Foles.

Are you talking about being a real contender for a title? If so, he probably needs to be at least as good as Prescott (top 15 QB), but probably closer to Wilson or Wentz (top 10 QB).

Oldcolt
08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
I think he is as good as those dudes. Good enough for a one off Super Bowl win. That isn't good enough to make us a year in and year out contender.

Pez
08-28-2019, 11:02 AM
I agree that he doesn't have to be that good, and I think he is a great deal better than who we saw in 2017. He wont get out from under the "but what if we still had Andrew Luck" business and that isnt really fair to him. Getting a few competent wins under his belt will help.

DrSpaceman
08-28-2019, 11:16 AM
Are you talking about being a real contender for a title? If so, he probably needs to be at least as good as Prescott (top 15 QB), but probably closer to Wilson or Wentz (top 10 QB).

I certainly think he can be as good as Prescott because I don't think he is that good to begin with. And not worth the $40 million or so he seems to be asking for in a new contract

But yes I'd say otherwise that's about correct. If he is an average to above average QB, with a better team around him and Ballard continues to build the D, its will be enough

VeveJones007
08-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Just putting this out there in case some Colts fans are under the wrong impression:

Brissett isn't nearly as good as Carson Wentz. Get back to me when Brissett puts up 33 TDs/7 INTs in 12.5 games.

Chromeburn
08-28-2019, 11:37 AM
He needs to be accurate, be able to detect the blitz, and find the open guy fast. If he can process fast and hit the open guy accurately we should be decent.

Brylok
08-28-2019, 11:46 AM
I don't think he's anywhere near good enough, but people are trying to have some bit of hope and optimism. I get it.

DrSpaceman
08-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Just putting this out there in case some Colts fans are under the wrong impression:

Brissett isn't nearly as good as Carson Wentz. Get back to me when Brissett puts up 33 TDs/7 INTs in 12.5 games.

Carson Wentz in 2016 went 7-9 with 16 TDs and 14 INTs in 16 games

Then in 2017 13 games was 33 TDs/11 INTs

He didn't just step in and set the league on fire, like say Mahomes.

He made a big jump in year two. No reason to think Brissett couldn't make a leap as well. Not sure it will be that big, but everything is in place for a significant improvement over 2017

Luck4Reich
08-28-2019, 12:54 PM

If he puts those numbers up in 16 games I'll be happy!

Chromeburn
08-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Carson Wentz in 2016 went 7-9 with 16 TDs and 14 INTs in 16 games

Then in 2017 13 games was 33 TDs/11 INTs

He didn't just step in and set the league on fire, like say Mahomes.

He made a big jump in year two. No reason to think Brissett couldn't make a leap as well. Not sure it will be that big, but everything is in place for a significant improvement over 2017

Brisset's situation today and his situation when he first got here are very different. He should be better overall, how good though, we will have to see. I think he looks average but a very limited sampling. We will know by mid season.

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 01:04 PM
He needs to be good enough to move the chains with regularity. Too many three and out drives will tax the defense too much. Move the chains and let them rest and we have a chance to keep games close enough to win and let AV kick the FG for the win.

JAFF
08-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Reich coached up a backup Qb to win a super bowl. The HC has a habit of adjusting his playbook to the skills of his players.

I’m will to see where this goes. Reich has no ego, he wont force his system on players he will adjust to his talent

ChoppedWood
08-28-2019, 05:23 PM
He needs to be good enough to move the chains with regularity. Too many three and out drives will tax the defense too much. Move the chains and let them rest and we have a chance to keep games close enough to win and let AV kick the FG for the win.

That to me is what makes this so intriguing. We ALL have recollections of Jacoby in the past regime, holding the ball forever, having to run for his life so he could throw a 25 yard out or a 30+ yard seam route. Low probability, high risk, plays. That's all we have film on.

Reich plays such a different game. He plays to the strength's instead of forcing a fucking square peg in a round hole- ala horrible Oline, and 4 streaks!

I just think that with him calling the shots and with the overall talent of this team, Jacoby Brisset has the tools to become one of those few QB's that can come from the sideline to the huddle and be a consistently strong player that you expect to do smart things with the ball and not try to be Brett Farhve or Jay Cutler. I am a little bit excited by this opportunity.

JAFF
08-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Just some thoughts on that was then, this is now.

Brisset first season and the situation now.

1. He's not new to the team and the O. He knows the playbook and the players
2. The O line was a mess, now it's a strength
3. The D was inconsistent, now it has potiental and has more physical talent
4. The coaching staff before, just god awful. Now, its a professional staff, a little bit of young and old.
5. There was a lack of leadership across the board, now there is leadership on both sides of the ball, on the sidelines and in the front office.
6. There was a disaster in the front office and I can't even explain how Ballard has turned the ship around in this short period of time.

Yeah, it's a QB driven league. But he just needs to start the play, make the read and let everybody else do their job. He can't win it by himself, but this team can compete if they do it together.

Yeah, the season can be an absolute shit show. Or it could be something amazing. And their will be losses, and injuries and disapointments, ever season has them. Or, it could be amazing. Enjoy the ride, what's the worst that can happen? What the people who were booing Luck think? Fuck em, lets enjoy the season.

apballin
08-28-2019, 10:46 PM
Don’t turn the ball over, mix up the ball distribution, get it out quick and take a shot or 2 deep every game

JAFF
08-29-2019, 05:27 AM
Don’t turn the ball over, mix up the ball distribution, get it out quick and take a shot or 2 deep every game

Absolutely. They have the receivers to spread and strecth the D. Brisset has a good arm. Gotta take some shots

ChoppedWood
08-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Heard an interesting discussion on the radio yesterday. Concerned caller talking about how Jacoby holds the ball way too long, pointed to the Jax game where got sacked I think 11 times (the caller said 10).

Not sure who was on the other end, may have been Wells, he remarked that in that game it was 2 things. 1- there were sets where Brisset could not even set his feet on a 3 step due to them getting in the backfield that fast. 2- we kept taking the back out of the backfield so he was back there with no secondary protection so if the pocket collapsed he either ate it or threw it up for grabs and said that is one of his underrated strengths, he doesn't generally just throw it into traffic under pressure (works well with Reich's system).

Now, the thing that certainly worries me especially about the Jags, the D was already stocked with talent, Josh Allen, that guy looks like an absolute terror. I am in on him being DROY. So I think those are two games that go from "yeah we'll win those two" to "can't make mistakes to have a chance to win". In other words, the holding the ball against them- can't do it, he has to get it out fast.

albany ed
08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
I can't wait to see how JB does. I'm full of high hopes and low expectations.

ChoppedWood
08-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Just heard some of JMV's interview with Peter King yesterday, some very interesting takeaways with respect to Luck- but we're looking forward so...

King is a firm believer in Brisset's abilities. He went so far as to say something to the effect of "there were dark, very dark times for him and I'm not going to say everything he did was great, but he did some things in 2017 to show that he can be a very good quarterback in this league". He then went on to detail how there is not enough credit being given to how good Frank Reich and Siriani are as a pair and what that will mean for Brisset over the course of this season. He did not come out and trash the prior administration but he let the words lead you to the conclusion that he thought the entire previous administration was horrible and that really Brisset did a good job getting 4 wins out of 2017.

DrSpaceman
08-29-2019, 11:42 AM
I can't wait to see how JB does. I'm full of high hopes and low expectations.

I think we all are

I'd put it at medium expectations, but nothing more