PDA

View Full Version : Emotions

Oldcolt
08-26-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm bummed big time. Not angry but bummed. Like a lot of us, I follow sports as a diversion from life. It only works because I invest emotionally in it. Times like this show me how much. For me, the difficult digesting Luck's decision was because it came with absolutely no indication. Most of us have been spending the better part of a year investing in and getting pumped about the future of this team, which included watching a career unfold that we were all excited to be able to watch. I was even enjoying talking about who the 51-53 guys on the team would be. I was riding high, enjoying watching thirds stringers play for gods sake, when boom the future changed (I'm an idiot and was thinking Luck looked great, moving smiling no obvious pain or boot-just getting that last bit of healing before the season starts). Going from that football high to that football low was quite an experience. Right at this moment, being a Colt fan is bringing me distress, not joy. I'm trying to remember that these lows are what is going to make winning the Super Bowl so damn sweet. I do love being the underdog. Go Colts!!

HoosierinFL
08-26-2019, 12:57 PM
That's basically where I'm at. I'm not mad at Luck, and as I posted in the other thread, I think those that are (ChoppedWood, I'm looking at you) are ridiculous babies.
But yes, we are all fans who had big eyes heading into this season with what we thought was a stacked roster and that rug has been pulled out from under us. It definitely sucks some of that enthusiasm out of it.

dwilli57
08-26-2019, 01:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet 75% of us that were ready to shoot the dog in anger over the whole thing have settled down to mild depression. It's a natural response to the shock of it all. Like dealing with death there are phases we all go through.

Things'll get better.

Chromeburn
08-26-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm bummed big time. Not angry but bummed. Like a lot of us, I follow sports as a diversion from life. It only works because I invest emotionally in it. Times like this show me how much. For me, the difficult digesting Luck's decision was because it came with absolutely no indication. Most of us have been spending the better part of a year investing in and getting pumped about the future of this team, which included watching a career unfold that we were all excited to be able to watch. I was even enjoying talking about who the 51-53 guys on the team would be. I was riding high, enjoying watching thirds stringers play for gods sake, when boom the future changed (I'm an idiot and was thinking Luck looked great, moving smiling no obvious pain or boot-just getting that last bit of healing before the season starts). Going from that football high to that football low was quite an experience. Right at this moment, being a Colt fan is bringing me distress, not joy. I'm trying to remember that these lows are what is going to make winning the Super Bowl so damn sweet. I do love being the underdog. Go Colts!!

Going through the stages. Stepping back from it all and observing things on social media. It is like watching people recover from a mass event. Obviously it is only sports. But there are still emotions involved and a lot of money big and small. It's like watching a huge group of people go through the five stages of loss. Right now I think the Colts fanbase feels like a girl who got stood up the night of prom.

VeveJones007
08-26-2019, 04:57 PM

I’m not as down as you, but I too am sad about this whole thing. Yes, I even fell sad for Andrew, who lost a lifelong love.

The thing that keeps giving me hope is trust in Ballard and Reich. I don’t know if they’ll win a title, but I believe they’re the right men for the job at hand. I’m excited to see how they handle this and if players like Brissett can step up.

njcoltfan
08-26-2019, 05:14 PM
I’m not as down as you, but I too am sad about this whole thing. Yes, I even fell sad for Andrew, who lost a lifelong love.

The thing that keeps giving me hope is trust in Ballard and Reich. I don’t know if they’ll win a title, but I believe they’re the right men for the job at hand. I’m excited to see how they handle this and if players like Brissett can step up.

Can you imagine the shit show the Colts would be in now if Pagano and Grigson were still running the show ! I have absolute confidence that Brissett will get the Colts to the playoffs this year !

VeveJones007
08-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Can you imagine the shit show the Colts would be in now if Pagano and Grigson were still running the show ! I have absolute confidence that Brissett will get the Colts to the playoffs this year !

Yeah, I don't even want to think about that. Now THAT would put me in the absolute dumps about the state of the franchise. Watching Reich's press conference today was so reassuring.

Re: Brissett and playoffs, I think there's a reasonable chance you're right. I posted a comp to Dak Prescott in another thread, which I think is reasonable. Prescott was good enough to get the Cowboys to 10 wins, a division title, and a playoff win last year.

kitekrazy
08-26-2019, 05:39 PM
We are also basing this on the premise Luck would remain healthy all year. Sometimes his style of play doesn't guarantee that.

Racehorse
08-26-2019, 07:46 PM
I was sick Saturday and went to bed about a half hour before the news broke. I woke up to the notification and my first thought was that someone was trolling me. Then it sunk in that it was not a Facebook post, but a real news source, and I was stunned.

Unlike the crybabies, I have decided that this is about the current team and there is no reason to throw a hissy-fit over something that I can't control.

IndyNorm
08-26-2019, 08:20 PM
I have to admit I'm still a bit pissed off. Not from Luck retiring, but from his timing. He should have retired in the off season not 2 weeks before the season starts.