PDA

View Full Version : Commitmant

Oldcolt
08-25-2019, 04:55 PM
I have no issues with Luck retiring for any reason he wants to. I think he was wrong to do it this way. There reaches a point in anything where you are committed to see it thru. If he had had enough of the NFL life but could not make up his mind until 2 weeks before the season started was to late. To late to quit on this particular season and this particular team. To late because you have given your word. It's just my opinion and I am keeping it in complete perspective (he is a 29 year old kid, didn't harm anyone and is definitely not responsible for my happiness) but I'm thinking he may wish he got a do over someday.

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 04:59 PM
My only issue is with the timing, but we don't know if there is more to the story.

Now if he starts playing in the XFL soon, I will not forgive the guy.

Hoopsdoc
08-25-2019, 05:12 PM
I’m assuming the injury is worse than we were led to believe and he felt that instead of going on IR, he may as well just hang them up. Because he didn’t want to face another long painful rehab.

It makes a lot more sense than the current story.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 05:13 PM
I have no issues with Luck retiring for any reason he wants to. I think he was wrong to do it this way. There reaches a point in anything where you are committed to see it thru. If he had had enough of the NFL life but could not make up his mind until 2 weeks before the season started was to late. To late to quit on this particular season and this particular team. To late because you have given your word. It's just my opinion and I am keeping it in complete perspective (he is a 29 year old kid, didn't harm anyone and is definitely not responsible for my happiness) but I'm thinking he may wish he got a do over someday.

Most people don't face retirement until their 60’s. He's 29 and his brain couldn't overcome his body.

Its easy for someone who has never gotten his body beaten to a pulp to question his motivation. There are some things money can’t buy that would be future health the ability to get your ass out of bed every morning

Hoopsdoc
08-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Most people don't face retirement until their 60’s. He's 29 and his brain couldn't overcome his body.

Its easy for someone who has never gotten his body beaten to a pulp to question his motivation. There are some things money can’t buy that would be future health the ability to get your ass out of bed every morning

That’s the thing, though. He took less of a beating than any other starting qb last year and theres no reason to think this year would have been any different.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 05:43 PM
That’s the thing, though. He took less of a beating than any other starting qb last year and theres no reason to think this year would have been any different.

Last year. He missed an entire year before. He had a major organ lacerated. He couldn't make his leg work like NORMAL people.

It's not about you. It's about Luck, and he took a beating winning games for the FANS.

Oldcolt
08-25-2019, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=JAFF;127699]Most people don't face retirement until their 60’s. He's 29 and his brain couldn't overcome his body.

Its easy for someone who has never gotten his body beaten to a pulp to question his motivation. There are some things money can’t buy that would be future health the ability to get your ass out of bed every morning[/QUOTE

Jaff I am not questioning his motivation. I am questioning his timing. I don't appreciate or need your little personal attack at the end.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=JAFF;127699]Most people don't face retirement until their 60’s. He's 29 and his brain couldn't overcome his body.

Its easy for someone who has never gotten his body beaten to a pulp to question his motivation. There are some things money can’t buy that would be future health the ability to get your ass out of bed every morning[/QUOTE

Jaff I am not questioning his motivation. I am questioning his timing. I don't appreciate or need your little personal attack at the end.

Well you should ask Luck how he feels about what you said about him.

The NFL is a brutal game. Luck broke down into tears when he retired. His body won't let him be what he wants to be. Most people don't have that hit them until their 50s. He's 29

I don't know you, so what ever I said was not personal.

As to his timming, he was doing EVERYTHING he could to compete and not let down his teammates. He realized, he couldn't do it. He's a young man and his body let him down.

Give him a break. He can't do what he loves.

Maniac
08-25-2019, 06:15 PM
It's about Luck, and he took a beating winning games for the FANS.

I think that's a fallacy. You don't know that he played the game for the fans. I doubt he did. I think he played the game because he enjoyed it and enjoyed being part of the team. The fans like to think that these guys do it for them, and the teams like to tell fans that because it makes fans feel part of it and helps sell tickets. I'm sure he enjoyed the fans (until yesterday), but I doubt he played "for the fans."

Maniac
08-25-2019, 06:19 PM
My only issue is with the timing, but we don't know if there is more to the story.

Pretty sure he can't play in the XFL or any other professional football while the Colts hold his rights, and I doubt he would want to anyway. He would more likely do broadcasting/analyst work.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 06:25 PM
I think that's a fallacy. You don't know that he played the game for the fans. I doubt he did. I think he played the game because he enjoyed it and enjoyed being part of the team. The fans like to think that these guys do it for them, and the teams like to tell fans that because it makes fans feel part of it and helps sell tickets. I'm sure he enjoyed the fans (until yesterday), but I doubt he played "for the fans."

That's your opinion

Thorgrim
08-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure he can't play in the XFL or any other professional football while the Colts hold his rights, and I doubt he would want to anyway. He would more likely do broadcasting/analyst work.

Whoa whoa whoa. Wouldn’t that require him to rely on that space between his ears? Sounds like that is a bit fragile right now to be entertaining that kind of work.

VeveJones007
08-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Did you watch the presser, OP? Luck looked psychologically broken about football. Not sure how you fake it through that.

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Last year. He missed an entire year before. He had a major organ lacerated. He couldn't make his leg work like NORMAL people.

It's not about you. It's about Luck, and he took a beating winning games for the FANS.
We only love our gladiators when they are fighting, it seems.

albany ed
08-25-2019, 07:43 PM
Let's just move on. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders both retired at this age too. It happens. Not much you can do about it, so let's move on. Next man up. It's only a game.

Hoopsdoc
08-25-2019, 08:19 PM

Where in the hell did I say it’s about me? I stated a fact. You’re the one making it about me.

I don’t begrudge Andrew anything. But I’ll damn sure state my opinion.

And he didn’t play for the “fans”. He played for MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars.

I don’t get this knee jerk need to defend the dude. He doesn’t need it.

I can respect the reasons behind his action while still hating the act itself. It doesn’t have to be either/or.

Dewey 5
08-25-2019, 08:21 PM

He can't. The NFL & Colts own his rights.

JAFF
08-26-2019, 05:17 AM
Where in the hell did I say it’s about me? I stated a fact. You’re the one making it about me.

I don’t begrudge Andrew anything. But I’ll damn sure state my opinion.

And he didn’t play for the “fans”. He played for MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars.

I don’t get this knee jerk need to defend the dude. He doesn’t need it.

I can respect the reasons behind his action while still hating the act itself. It doesn’t have to be either/or.

Go back to YOUR original statement. Last year you stated that he didn’t get as beat up as the years before so he should be OK. That’s a huge assumption which is not based upon fact. The fact is he hasn’t been able to practice. Even after going through a year where you claim he wasn’t as beat up and getting through the entire off-season, he was still not able to get his body ready to play in this current season.

Apparently all the possible money he could make playing the next five years was not enough motivation for him to get his mind ready to get his body into the shape it needs to be to play. Apparently he’s been going through physical rehab for about four straight years and he’s exhausted. Not just physically, but also mentally.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 05:33 AM
You guys are missing the point. There has never been a player like Luck. He is more cerebral than any other player I have seen (granted, a small sample size). He did it because he can do ANYTHING! The world is at his feet and the injuries pushed him to the other side. Let him enjoy his life. It is far more important than some message board or proving some Patsy wrong.

albany ed
08-26-2019, 06:24 AM
You guys are missing the point. There has never been a player like Luck. He is more cerebral than any other player I have seen (granted, a small sample size). He did it because he can do ANYTHING! The world is at his feet and the injuries pushed him to the other side. Let him enjoy his life. It is far more important than some message board or proving some Patsy wrong.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/andrew-luck-was-always-too-smart-for-the-nfl.html

JAFF
08-26-2019, 06:33 AM

There was that Manning guy, but I understand what you are saying.

Maniac
08-26-2019, 06:40 AM
You guys are missing the point. There has never been a player like Luck. He is more cerebral than any other player I have seen (granted, a small sample size).

Did you forget Peyton already?

Racehorse
08-26-2019, 06:48 AM
People who work week in and week out seem to forget why there is an off-season. Players have to mend their bodies. Every year, players have to decide whether or not it is worth it to continue or if they should retire. Most are too stubborn and have egos big enough that they try to hang on, but nobody picks them up.

Coaches also have to decide every year if they want to continue. Me being a coach, too, I ask myself from time to time if this is my last year, because it is tough on you. The strain it puts on the family and the mental fatigue from concern for the team. Also, as a school teacher, we have to ask ourselves if it is time to go. With the summer off, you have plenty of time to question your desire to return to the fray.

I think this is where Luck was, and decided that he just could not do it physically or mentally any longer. It isn't about being a "pussy" or a "quitter", but about being able to go through it one more time. As to Irsay's "four inches" comment, that doesn't necessarily mean that Irsay thinks he is fragile mentally. It simply means that he has to get the drive to play and trust his body back. To expect players to sacrifice their golden years to entertain us today makes us the egotistical ones, not them.

Luck4Reich
08-26-2019, 06:50 AM

Exactly.... there hasn’t been a player like Manning. He had true passion for the game and the want to win a championship for the Colts.

Luck4Reich
08-26-2019, 06:52 AM
People who work week in and week out seem to forget why there is an off-season. Players have to mend their bodies. Every year, players have to decide whether or not it is worth it to continue or if they should retire. Most are too stubborn and have egos big enough that they try to hang on, but nobody picks them up.

Coaches also have to decide every year if they want to continue. Me being a coach, too, I ask myself from time to time if this is my last year, because it is tough on you. The strain it puts on the family and the mental fatigue from concern for the team. Also, as a school teacher, we have to ask ourselves if it is time to go. With the summer off, you have plenty of time to question your desire to return to the fray.

I think this is where Luck was, and decided that he just could not do it physically or mentally any longer.

I believe most of us understand that but the timing is what sucks. Maybe he truly though he was going to give it a go? I don’t know.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 06:58 AM

No, Luck is far more cerebral than P. Didn't forget.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 07:08 AM
You could argue on or off field. I would hear that.

Maniac
08-26-2019, 07:21 AM

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu2ldnXj6V1r5jtugo1_250.gif

No way is Luck more cerebral than Peyton, no way.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 07:40 AM
You could argue on or off field. I would hear that.
Listening...

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Apparently, you only see football.

dwilli57
08-26-2019, 07:49 AM

I don't think Peyton was the best qb ever but i DO think he was the smartest. There is no one, before or since, that i think could read defenses and change calls at the LOS like Peyton. It's one of the things that made him so much fun to watch.
Luck was on his way to that pinnacle but wasn't there yet.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Should I quote myself again?

Maniac
08-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Apparently, you only see football.

Peyton is cerebral in EVERYTHING he does, on or off the field. He thinks, plans, and prepares for everything he does in his life. Saying Luck is far more cerebral is just ridiculous.

albany ed
08-26-2019, 07:57 AM
I don't think Peyton was the best qb ever but i DO think he was the smartest. There is no one, before or since, that i think could read defenses and change calls at the LOS like Peyton. It's one of the things that made him so much fun to watch.
Luck was on his way to that pinnacle but wasn't there yet.

There's football smarts and overall smarts. Manning was an avid (eat, sleep and drink)student of football. He studied it constantly and he knew it better than anyone. Brady knows BB ball, he is a student of the way BB has simplified the game. Because of BB, he knows exactly where the the best passing opportunity will be as he scans the defense. Luck, is an IQ smart. It helps in football, but his real genius is overall. Because of this, he sees the bigger picture. Football is a short term life and for him, there's so much more after football. This is why he needed to move on. Bummer for the fans, but kudos to him as a man with so much more of his life to live.

Chromeburn
08-26-2019, 07:58 AM
https://thecomeback.com/nfl/andrew-luck-was-always-too-smart-for-the-nfl.html

I’ll agree with some of that. The marketing machine and NFL corporate image. Tying itself to the military so much they actually had a say in the kneeling protests. The NFL has cultivated its brand, all the old videos with the players, dramatic music, and Riefenstahl like imagery. I wasn’t surprised that some of the fans booed. It flies contrary to what we have associated with the NFL. I will say they are highly compensated though, gladiators were still slaves.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Well, you don't see things like I do. Luck sees the big picture. I would say, from my own perspective, that SBs are not what drives Andrew, but they sure as shit drove P.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Peyton is cerebral in EVERYTHING he does, on or off the field. He thinks, plans, and prepares for everything he does in his life. Saying Luck is far more cerebral is just ridiculous.

Get off his jock.

Maniac
08-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Get off his jock.

Get off Luck's jock.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Whatever

albany ed
08-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
Get off his jock.

Get off Luck's jock.

Jock fight? :eek:

HoosierinFL
08-26-2019, 08:14 AM
I’ll agree with some of that. The marketing machine and NFL corporate image. Tying itself to the military so much they actually had a say in the kneeling protests. The NFL has cultivated its brand, all the old videos with the players, dramatic music, and Riefenstahl like imagery. I wasn’t surprised that some of the fans booed. It flies contrary to what we have associated with the NFL. I will say they are highly compensated though, gladiators were still slaves.

Exactly. They end up equating his early retirement with some form of treason. The NFL needs to quit this military bootlicking nonsense. And they need to stop having a national anthem before every game, military flyovers and a color guard. What even is the point of that?
Save that shit for government functions, state funerals, etc. Its a fucking football game.

DrSpaceman
08-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Well, you don't see things like I do. Luck sees the big picture. I would say, from my own perspective, that SBs are not what drives Andrew, but they sure as shit drove P.

This I agree with.

He was never as driven by on the field success as Manning. If he was, he'd still be playing.

Maniac
08-26-2019, 08:55 AM
This I agree with.

He was never as driven by on the field success as Manning. If he was, he'd still be playing.

That doesn't make Luck more cerebral though. It only means he has other priorities, that he is driven by different things.

DrSpaceman
08-26-2019, 08:57 AM
That doesn't make Luck more cerebral though. It only means he has other priorities, that he is driven by different things.

I don't care if he is more cerebral or not

I do care if he is driven enough to keep playing.

In the end, despite his talent, I'd rather have a guy completely committed to the leadership position being a QB in the NFL entails. For a variety of reasons, he obviously is not.

albany ed
08-26-2019, 10:07 AM
... And they need to stop having a national anthem before every game, military flyovers and a color guard. What even is the point of that?
Save that shit for government functions, state funerals, etc. Its a fucking football game.

I have no problem with a national anthem being played before sporting events. They even do it at Saratoga Race Track before the first race. Maybe the anthem should be played before the players come onto the field. It's not a place for protest of the USA (IMO) but if you put the players on the field, they should have the right to take a knee if that's how they feel. Just keep them in the locker room until the anthem is played.

Brylok
08-26-2019, 10:09 AM
I don't even think he's injured. Doctors and medical staff of all sort couldn't find anything wrong with his ankle. He had been moving fine in training sessions. He's just mentally shot and checked out, using the "ankle injury" as an excuse to quit.

DrSpaceman
08-26-2019, 10:31 AM
I don't even think he's injured. Doctors and medical staff of all sort couldn't find anything wrong with his ankle. He had been moving fine in training sessions. He's just mentally shot and checked out, using the "ankle injury" as an excuse to quit.

I agree with this too

I started out a very long new thread on this, but didn't have time to do it justice this morning and frankly getting a bit sick of talking about it. Might do it sometime, but suffice it to say, I think this is exactly the case. I don't think anything is wrong with his ankle or calf, its a nice excuse to stop.

And I also think Ballard and Reich, maybe Irsay too, know there is nothing wrong with is ankle. They got sick of the continued procrastinating and symptoms of pain with no cause found and finally had a sit down, come to Jesus talk with him and said "Look your leg is fine, nothing physically wrong. We need a decision, are you playing this year or not? If you aren't ready for the season, we are moving on, we can't do this 'Will he or won't he' anymore, you are either all in on this or you need to retire" He chose to retire.

I think that is why it happened in the last few weeks. Camp was over, preseason is ending, season is starting, they needed a decision from him. Nothing physically is found wrong, are you playing or not?

albany ed
08-26-2019, 10:38 AM
This is all conjecture on my part, but I believe the following:

Peyton used HGH to recover from his neck injury and when he started playing again and would be tested, he stopped. That's when his arm went noodle on him.

Luck went to Europe to use whatever helped his recovery but was not legal in the NFL and after returning, he stopped doing it and his problems returned.

Both players temporarily recovered and had stellar seasons, but their problems returned

This is only a theory on my part, but I believe it.

DrSpaceman
08-26-2019, 10:44 AM
This is all conjecture on my part, but I believe the following:

Peyton used HGH to recover from his neck injury and when he started playing again and would be tested, he stopped. That's when his arm went noodle on him.

Luck went to Europe to use whatever helped his recovery but was not legal in the NFL and after returning, he stopped doing it and his problems returned.

Both players temporarily recovered and had stellar seasons, but their problems returned

This is only a theory on my part, but I believe it.

HGH won't regrow nerves.

I don't think this is what happened

albany ed
08-26-2019, 10:58 AM
HGH won't regrow nerves.

I don't think this is what happened

Like I said, it's only my opinion, but HGH will aid in nerve regeneration.

Hoopsdoc
08-26-2019, 11:22 AM
I agree with this too

I started out a very long new thread on this, but didn't have time to do it justice this morning and frankly getting a bit sick of talking about it. Might do it sometime, but suffice it to say, I think this is exactly the case. I don't think anything is wrong with his ankle or calf, its a nice excuse to stop.

And I also think Ballard and Reich, maybe Irsay too, know there is nothing wrong with is ankle. They got sick of the continued procrastinating and symptoms of pain with no cause found and finally had a sit down, come to Jesus talk with him and said "Look your leg is fine, nothing physically wrong. We need a decision, are you playing this year or not? If you aren't ready for the season, we are moving on, we can't do this 'Will he or won't he' anymore, you are either all in on this or you need to retire" He chose to retire.

I think that is why it happened in the last few weeks. Camp was over, preseason is ending, season is starting, they needed a decision from him. Nothing physically is found wrong, are you playing or not?

Last year, he said, was the most fun he’s ever had playing football. It just doesn’t make sense that he’d go from that to total burnout in a matter of months.

Then again, nothing about this whole deal makes sense.

Butter
08-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Last year, he said, was the most fun he’s ever had playing football. It just doesn’t make sense that he’d go from that to total burnout in a matter of months.

Then again, nothing about this whole deal makes sense.

I think there are things we do not know and never will. Some of it is simply not our business. The timing sucks, but I would guess Luck was having a hard time comin gto a final decision and the team was doing what it could to get him back on track and playing. I hate it, it is a bad look for him and the team, but it is what it is.

Chromeburn
08-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Exactly. They end up equating his early retirement with some form of treason. The NFL needs to quit this military bootlicking nonsense. And they need to stop having a national anthem before every game, military flyovers and a color guard. What even is the point of that?

It's all marketing, strategy, and manipulation of the customer. I have a love hate relationship with advertising. I love the creativity and new ideas in it, but I hate that it is all ultimately curved towards manipulating people to buy your product. And it works it way into everything now. They want to associate themselves with patriotism and nationalism, become America's game. You support the military, well you should support our product as well, but it's just a corporation.

Reminds me of this Exec for a coal mining company, he would go out to these worker rally's dressed head to toe in American paraphernalia, he looked like a flag threw up on him. He would talk about sacrifice, supporting coal workers and the industry etc, but the policies he supported were anything but. Lowering safety standards for workers and they laid off tons of employees but made sure the execs got exorbitant multi-million payouts. It's all bullshit.

ChoppedWood
08-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Completely agree... completely, he wanted out and needed a means to grease the skids. Dude is too bright to just come out and say "yeah, I decided a while back I was just not too into this anymore so I'm dippn', later". He knows he has to manipulate this to his benefit and he's also going to help the team from having to deal with "hey, didn't you know this kid was fragile as F, I mean damn is anyone minding the store"?

All the signs point to this just being the mutually agreed upon soft shoe way for him to exit.

Colts And Orioles
08-26-2019, 02:14 PM
No, Luck is far more cerebral than Peyton Manning. I didn't forget.

o

Luck, a Stanford graduate who was a rare player who skipped out on the first 2 days of the NFL combine so that he could take his finals at Stanford, may be more cerebral than Manning in life overall ........ but in my rat's ass of an opinion, there was not a player in the history of the the game that was more cerebral than Manning strictly in terms of football IQ. The guy would come to the line and read defenses and audible accordingly like no other player before, during, or after him.

o

Coltsfever
08-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Get off his jock.

Peyton took Colts to 2 SBs and won 1.. he never left the Colts but was replaced by the guy who did leave the Colts.