PDA

View Full Version : New Starting QB Brissett: Perhaps a Legacy of His Own

Colts And Orioles
08-25-2019, 03:43 PM
o

In 2008, Matt Cassel stepped in and led the New England Patriots to an 11-5 record when starting quarterback when Tom Brady missed the season with an injury.

Those 2008 Patriots were essentially a playoff team, save for the fact that the stacked AFC that season made the Patriots only the 2nd team since the 16-game schedule was inaugurated in 1978 to fail to to qualify for the postseason (the 1985 Broncos also went 11-5 without a playoff berth.)

This article asserts that when Chris Ballard was hired as the Colts' GM almost 3 years ago, he made sure to point out that one player does not make a football team (a direct reference to star quarterback Andrew Luck.) Ballard wanted to build a complete team so that the weight of the franchise wouldn’t be placed entirely on Luck's shoulders, as it did with the way that the Colts' disastrous 2011 season played out when Peyton Manning missed that entire year with an injury.

So as much of a punch to the stomach that Andrew Luck's sudden retirement was to the Colts and their fans, we will all get to see if the 2019 Colts team that Ballard largely put together can somehow replicate the 2008 Patriots, the 1968 Colts (who went 13-1 and made it to the Super Bowl with Earl Morrall replacing Johnny Unitas at QB), or the 1972 Dolphins (who went 14-0 and won the Super Bowl with Earl Morrall filling in for the injured Bob Griese for more than half of the regular season, plus one-and-a-half of their 3 post-season games.)

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Jacoby Brissett is No Andrew Luck, but His 'Story's is Just Starting' for the Colts

(By Mike Wells)

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/24731/jacoby-brissett-no-andrew-luck-but-storys-just-starting-for-colts

o

DrSpaceman
08-25-2019, 03:46 PM
I am completely behind Brissett and hope he works out.

He didn't ask for this situation.

And he has a much better team behind him now than two years, plus a competent coach.

But I still have my doubts about him. Needs to get the ball out quicker for one. I am sure Reich will focus on that.

Oldcolt
08-25-2019, 03:56 PM
C&O Been wanting to hear what your take would be. I think we are both old enough to remember when NFL qb's took several years of seasoning on the bench. Brissett has had that. We have money to spend, won't have 1/4 of our cap allocated to one guy and have a front office that knows what they are doing (Luck punked them; they take the high road keep their mouths shut, pay his sorry ass and keep working). Build a dominant defense to go along with a kick ass offensive line. Been a Colts fan for over 50 years. Shit happens.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Brissett has a tough job. He's got to accept that punting the ball is ok early in the game. You try to force something, it usually doesn't end well.

He's got to trust the D. He needs to know that he doesn't need to win the game, but turnovers will lose the game.

It's ok to punt in the first three quarters.

It's ok to check down and get positive yards, not a TD.

It's ok to have 21 other guys to help him win the game.

Hoopsdoc
08-25-2019, 05:13 PM
This is the chance Jacoby has been waiting for. It’s even better than going somewhere else and learning a whole new system. He’s been in this one for over a year now.

If he can’t succeed here right now, than he’s not a legitimate starter.

Maniac
08-25-2019, 05:32 PM
This is the chance Jacoby has been waiting for. It’s even better than going somewhere else and learning a whole new system. He’s been in this one for over a year now.

If he can’t succeed here right now, than he’s not a legitimate starter.

Except there is a lot of pressure on him now, following behind a great player who walked away from a team with superbowl aspirations. Fans are hurt and mad. If he doesn't come through, fans may not be kind to him.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Except there is a lot of pressure on him now, following behind a great player who walked away from a team with superbowl aspirations. Fans are hurt and mad. If he doesn't come through, fans may not be kind to him.

Pressure is a self inflicted wound.

He needs to go be the best he can be and let the other 21 guys hold up their end of the deal

YDFL Commish
08-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Brissett has a tough job. He's got to accept that punting the ball is ok early in the game. You try to force something, it usually doesn't end well.

He's got to trust the D. He needs to know that he doesn't need to win the game, but turnovers will lose the game.

It's ok to punt in the first three quarters.

It's ok to check down and get positive yards, not a TD.

It's ok to have 21 other guys to help him win the game.

Brissett just needs to play his game. I don't wanna hamstring him in any way. He has proven in 2017 that he knows how to protect the ball. Now he's gotta make the plays that are there to be made and get the ball out sooner to avoid sacks.

So, NO!, I don't want him to be a game manager...and I'm pretty sure Reich doesn't either. That is the Pagano approach to offense, and it's a losing formula...because the opponent catches on to that shit real quick.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 07:03 PM
So, NO!, I don't want him to be a game manager...and I'm pretty sure Reich doesn't either. That is the Pagano approach to offense, and it's a losing formula...because the opponent catches on to that shit real quick.

Tom Brady is one of the best game managers. He doesn't take a risk he doesn't need to and he doesn't make a gamble that's not in his favor.

You don't throw into coverage
You don't let your ego overcome your abilities
You don't force the ball into triple coverage.

Game managers WIN games. Manning was one of them.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 07:09 PM
If all the stuff we hear about Jacoby is correct, a great leader of men, a guy who doesn't get rattled, a man who the guys like playing with- if those things hold true, he's got a hell of a team assembled around him to let him play Frank Reich football, and that is a trillion light years away from the scary ass shit we saw being run under Pagono's whatever the hell system we were running then... and the call out on that OL vs this one- 100% down with that! He's got men with some anger and some ass in front of him now.

Reich has absolutely proven he knows how to matriculate the ball down the field with high percentage plays that stack up 1st downs, control the clock, and result in points. If Jacoby can just stay in that routine, I think this team can still be very formidable and I gotta believe there are enough natural leaders on the squad that there isn't going to be any other attitude than "let's go do this".

For this year, this needs to be a team that QN and DL set the tone for and see if over time they can create the space for Brisset to emerge as the unquestioned leader that Luck certainly was. It would be great to see someone like Houston or Sheard sort of emerge as that same type of vet presence that Cory Redding became for his era, a guy that the team gravitated to as man that commanded high energy and commitment and you could tell they all wanted to win for.

Hoopsdoc
08-25-2019, 08:00 PM

This is a golden opportunity for him. It’s his contract year. Go out and light it up and set yourself up to make MILLIONS. If I were in his shoes and I believed in my heart I’m a legitimate starter, I wouldn’t want it any other way. Pressure be damned.

Maniac
08-25-2019, 08:05 PM
This is a golden opportunity for him. It’s his contract year. Go out and light it up and set yourself up to make MILLIONS. If I were in his shoes and I believed in my heart I’m a legitimate starter, I wouldn’t want it any other way. Pressure be damned.

It's a great opportunity, it's just not going to be easy. We're going to find out quickly if he can handle the situation he's been put into. He has a better team around him and a better coach, so let's see what he can do.

YDFL Commish
08-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Tom Brady is one of the best game managers. He doesn't take a risk he doesn't need to and he doesn't make a gamble that's not in his favor.

You don't throw into coverage
You don't let your ego overcome your abilities
You don't force the ball into triple coverage.

Game managers WIN games. Manning was one of them.

No Manning was not a game manager. Right now you are just being fuckin' stupid.

DrSpaceman
08-25-2019, 09:33 PM
Reich is also not one as a coach to take a "game manager" approach
with the offense.

We all saw that last year vs Houston. "We aren't playing for ties". And he didn't apologize or backtrack on it.

You can be aggressive on offense without throwing the ball 30 yards down field vertically every play.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Needs to get the ball out quicker for one. I am sure Reich will focus on that.

Reich and Sirianni were already working on that this preseason. Here was an article on colts.com that had quotes from both Reich and Sirianni from a few weeks ago.

https://www.colts.com/news/frank-reich-impressed-with-jacoby-brissett-training-camp

This particular quote was from Sirianni:

“Really, I think it’s just his ability to process the play, see the defense, know where the ball is supposed to go and throw it on time in rhythm,” Sirianni said of Brissett’s improvement. “I have seen that so many times from him where instead of hitch, hitch, throw – he is hitting his back foot, hitch and throw. So what that does is make our offensive line better because they don’t have to protect as long and it makes our receivers better because they can get that initial separation and then not let the guy catch up. Obviously it makes our third down – everything skyrockets when the quarterback can get the ball on time and I have really seen him skyrocket there as far as his development.”

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Reich and Sirianni were already working on that this preseason. Here was an article on colts.com that had quotes from both Reich and Sirianni from a few weeks ago.

https://www.colts.com/news/frank-reich-impressed-with-jacoby-brissett-training-camp

Yeah that's the whole thing with him, spinning that SOB out of there when it is on time. Definitely what has been interesting to watch with Kelly- when he commits, that thing is on a rope going right where he wants it, but he too has scared me a few times chopping his feet and not letting it fly.

With Reich and Siranni's routes, it's a trust and commitment thing, and the thing I have really been happy with this pre-season, guys are getting separation all over the place- this is the NFL, if you get 2.5 seconds and a guy that can separate, you damn well better be able to put that ball in his hands...I think they both have that capability.

VeveJones007
08-26-2019, 01:53 AM

That’s a part he really struggled with at times in 2017. If he’s made solid improvements there, he could be a solid starter. I’m excited to see what he’s got. I figure we’ll have a pretty good feel by mid season one way or the other.

Colts And Orioles
10-20-2019, 04:36 PM
o

This article was written on September 5th, just a few days before the start of the 2019 regular season ........

Take a Deep Breath, and Give Brissett a Chance

(By Danny Bridges)

http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/sports/article_54651e74-cfda-11e9-b5e6-af8331c3ddb5.html

o

Colts And Orioles
10-20-2019, 06:39 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in franchise history (1953 - Present) to have thrown 4 TD passes, 0 INT's, and 300 or more yards in a single game.

The other 2 to have done so ......... Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning.

SOURCE: ) ESPN News Services

o

Spike
10-20-2019, 06:44 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in franchise history (1953 - Present) to have thrown 4 TD passes, 0 INT's, and 300 or more yards in a single game.

o

That's pretty damn elite company right there.

ChoppedWood
10-20-2019, 06:47 PM
That's pretty damn elite company right there.

Not bad at all...

JAFF
10-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Not bad at all...

Hes got a long way to go before hes cemented with those 2. Great team win, but hes got a long way to go

DragonTails
10-20-2019, 09:26 PM
over/under td passes before season started was 19.

ChoppedWood
10-20-2019, 09:31 PM
over/under td passes before season started was 19.

65% Comp % 14 TD's, 3 INT and a 101 rating- that's not real shitty. The 14 TD's have him tied for 4th in the league in that category BTW.

ChoppedWood
10-20-2019, 09:36 PM
65% Comp % 14 TD's, 3 INT and a 101 rating- that's not real shitty. The 14 TD's have him tied for 4th in the league in that category BTW.

And both Ryan and Wilson have played 7 games to JB's 6. Mahomes still has 1 more than JB and really he's played 6 games as well since he went out so early in the game Thurs.

albany ed
10-21-2019, 06:08 AM
There are a few things to like about JB, and a little bit to hope he can improve. So far this year, he's kept the INTs down, (Luck was always good for 1 or 2 a game). He's learned to throw the ball away and not force passes when the coverage is superior. He's got a very strong arm. He's improving as the season goes on.

Some things I see that need improvement but can and will be improved. His touch on the quick short passes. His ability to go through his progressions. His ability to come to the line and see the weak point in the D and audible.

The one thing that won't change. He's surprisingly slow for an athlete with his build.

For me, the bottom line is that I don't think JB will ever be an elite NFL QB, but that may end up being his greatest value. When it comes time for a new contract, he'll command a substantial raise, but not a bank breaking salary that forces a team to let other important parts of the team seek greener pastures elsewhere. Thus, we can keep the nucleus of this team together and continue to get stronger.

It was fun last year to see the OL get better and better as the season went on and the young players gelled. This year we seem to be seeing the same thing with the young defensive players. It gives me faith in Ballard's ability to draft a great team and to have players that are very good but should be affordable. This team is growing, and they're growing fast, it's a lot of fun to see it.

Pez
10-21-2019, 07:00 AM
The newspaper had a stat that brissett was 26 for 39, with six throwaways. Call that a soft 26 for 33 and zero picks.

Soon the media will stop adding ", who replaced Andrew Luck" when they write articles about him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

YDFL Commish
10-21-2019, 09:45 AM
There are a few things to like about JB, and a little bit to hope he can improve. So far this year, he's kept the INTs down, (Luck was always good for 1 or 2 a game). He's learned to throw the ball away and not force passes when the coverage is superior. He's got a very strong arm. He's improving as the season goes on.

Some things I see that need improvement but can and will be improved. His touch on the quick short passes. His ability to go through his progressions. His ability to come to the line and see the weak point in the D and audible.

The one thing that won't change. He's surprisingly slow for an athlete with his build.

For me, the bottom line is that I don't think JB will ever be an elite NFL QB, but that may end up being his greatest value. When it comes time for a new contract, he'll command a substantial raise, but not a bank breaking salary that forces a team to let other important parts of the team seek greener pastures elsewhere. Thus, we can keep the nucleus of this team together and continue to get stronger.

It was fun last year to see the OL get better and better as the season went on and the young players gelled. This year we seem to be seeing the same thing with the young defensive players. It gives me faith in Ballard's ability to draft a great team and to have players that are very good but should be affordable. This team is growing, and they're growing fast, it's a lot of fun to see it.

The other area that Brissett could improve on, is his ability to throw on the run. It was one of Luck's biggest strengths and definitely would take Brissett to the next level with improvement.

Oldcolt
10-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Albany Ed got it right in my opinion (Brissett not totally breaking the bank allowing us to actually have a TEAM) Once Mahomes gets a new contract it is going to be very difficult for KC to have a complete team. Plus one of his great attributes is his ability to escape. The only qb I've seen who kept this thruout his career was Fran Tarkenton. Brissett isn't fast but he is strong as a horse. He won't lose that. His ability to not turn the ball over is huge. It is thing he is better at than our last qb.

Chaka
10-21-2019, 04:01 PM

I'll admit that Brissett has been pleasant surprise so far. His 14-3 TD/INT ratio and a 65% completion rate are pluses and much better than expected. Luck, by the way, averaged less than 1 INT per game for his entire career, so he really wasn't INT prone either.

I still can't say that I trust Brissett to maintain this pace for the remainder of the year. Perhaps that's just my inherent bias against backup QBs who are suddenly thrust into the starting role - I just figure their weaknesses will eventually be exposed once the other teams get enough tape on them, and they'll eventually implode. I never really bought into Ballard's pre-season statements about Brissett being a "top 20" QB (which, when you think about it, really just means they thought he was the 20th best starting QB in the league, which itself isn't THAT great). The league hasn't figured him out so far, however, and he appears to be getting stronger.

In any event, Brissett's proven me wrong so far. Whatever his weaknesses, he's done the job better than expected. It's all made a little sweeter that we got him from NE as well, I must admit. Dorsett's played OK for them, but we got the better of that deal for sure.

Oldcolt
10-21-2019, 04:23 PM
Luck had 83 interceptions in 86 games. Brissett has 10 in 29 games. Brissett throws about 1/3 the interceptions and averages about half the TD's (about 2 per game for Luck vs 1 per game for Brissett) Makes sense, Luck was a full on gunslinger, Brissett isn't in that mold. We can win with either, just in different ways.

Chaka
10-21-2019, 04:31 PM

By the way, I do think that if Brissett continues to play well, he WILL try his best to break the Colts' bank. I would do the same thing, so I don't expect anything different from Jacoby.

Maniac
10-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Luck had 83 interceptions in 86 games. Brissett has 10 in 29 games. Brissett throws about 1/3 the interceptions and averages about half the TD's (about 2 per game for Luck vs 1 per game for Brissett) Makes sense, Luck was a full on gunslinger, Brissett isn't in that mold. We can win with either, just in different ways.

We had to play that way with the teams that Luck was at the helm of. The running game sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching was AWFUL and put them in bad situations. Brissett has a balanced team with a very good offensive line and a good coaching staff. He doesn't need to take the chances that Luck had to take.

ChoppedWood
10-21-2019, 08:46 PM
We had to play that way with the teams that Luck was at the helm of. The running game sucked. The defense sucked. The coaching was AWFUL and put them in bad situations. Brissett has a balanced team with a very good offensive line and a good coaching staff. He doesn't need to take the chances that Luck had to take.

Boom!

ChoppedWood
10-21-2019, 08:57 PM
I am thrilled with the play of Brissett to this point. He has played within the system and he has made the plays necessary to win games. We lost one game in OT and despite playing an overall blah game against the Raiders we were still in a position to tie it until he threw a bad INT- and then he STILL managed to throw a late game desperation TD to give us an onside chance.

To me the final piece will be how he responds to a real shitter of a game- and without question there is going to be one. I'm talking a 3 INT, 35-10 beat down game where he gets sacked and just looks like shit. If he bounces back from one of those- then we'll know we have the QB we need to lead this team for the long haul. Peyton had those games and you never worried that it would impact his long term trajectory and the next game out he would go for 400 and 4. That's the last piece of the JB mosiac I am looking for.

albany ed
10-22-2019, 05:50 AM
By the way, I do think that if Brissett continues to play well, he WILL try his best to break the Colts' bank. I would do the same thing, so I don't expect anything different from Jacoby.

IMO, Jacoby will never be at Luck's level. Luck piloted a weak and uninspired team. His talents and nearly his talents alone lifted the team to the playoffs. Jacoby pilots a young, talented team with one of the best OLs in the game and what appears to be a great coach. I like Jacoby and I want him to continue to grow and lead this team, but not at the expense of a top five QB salary. I wouldn't pay him at that rate and I don't think any team in the NFL would, unless he improves by LEAPS AND BOUNDS over his current abilities.

Hoopsdoc
10-22-2019, 06:50 AM
I'll admit that Brissett has been pleasant surprise so far. His 14-3 TD/INT ratio and a 65% completion rate are pluses and much better than expected. Luck, by the way, averaged less than 1 INT per game for his entire career, so he really wasn't INT prone either.

I still can't say that I trust Brissett to maintain this pace for the remainder of the year. Perhaps that's just my inherent bias against backup QBs who are suddenly thrust into the starting role - I just figure their weaknesses will eventually be exposed once the other teams get enough tape on them, and they'll eventually implode. I never really bought into Ballard's pre-season statements about Brissett being a "top 20" QB (which, when you think about it, really just means they thought he was the 20th best starting QB in the league, which itself isn't THAT great). The league hasn't figured him out so far, however, and he appears to be getting stronger.

In any event, Brissett's proven me wrong so far. Whatever his weaknesses, he's done the job better than expected. It's all made a little sweeter that we got him from NE as well, I must admit. Dorsett's played OK for them, but we got the better of that deal for sure.
There is well over a full season of tape on Brissett out there already.

Racehorse
10-22-2019, 07:05 AM
I am thrilled with the play of Brissett to this point. He has played within the system and he has made the plays necessary to win games. We lost one game in OT and despite playing an overall blah game against the Raiders we were still in a position to tie it until he threw a bad INT- and then he STILL managed to throw a late game desperation TD to give us an onside chance.

To me the final piece will be how he responds to a real shitter of a game- and without question there is going to be one. I'm talking a 3 INT, 35-10 beat down game where he gets sacked and just looks like shit. If he bounces back from one of those- then we'll know we have the QB we need to lead this team for the long haul. Peyton had those games and you never worried that it would impact his long term trajectory and the next game out he would go for 400 and 4. That's the last piece of the JB mosiac I am looking for.I am NEVER looking for us to lose that badly.

Pez
10-22-2019, 07:23 AM

To me the final piece will be how he responds to a real shitter of a game- and without question there is going to be one. I'm talking a 3 INT, 35-10 beat down game where he gets sacked and just looks like shit. If he bounces back from one of those- then we'll know we have the QB we need to lead this team for the long haul. Peyton had those games and you never worried that it would impact his long term trajectory and the next game out he would go for 400 and 4. That's the last piece of the JB mosiac I am looking for.

I take your point, but would argue that there were multiple such games in 2017. He started 8 days after signing, went on to a 4-12 record and was sacked 52 times.

I don't view that he has anything else to prove in terms of his resiliency.

Pez
10-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Quietly, Brissett has:

4th most passing TDs in the league
3rd least interceptions
24th least pass attempts

I think a lot of the 'game manager' talk is just people latching on to a term and using it so they have something to say.

More accurately, Reich's game plan produces a different set of expectations from the Quarterback position than we see frequently. JB so far is filling the role. If Vinny had made one of his two missed FGs, or made his extra point In week 1, we would be a 5-1 team and the conversations about us would be different.

There's some interesting poultry going on: How much is Reich changing for Brissett and how mush is Brissett changing for Reich?

ChoppedWood
10-22-2019, 08:42 AM
I take your point, but would argue that there were multiple such games in 2017. He started 8 days after signing, went on to a 4-12 record and was sacked 52 times.

I don't view that he has anything else to prove in terms of his resiliency.

Very sound points and in some respects a testimony to what he is made of. You could make a point that in that season which was an absolute disaster, he never had one of these complete crapper games from the QB position- think Donald from last night... no scratch that, the local high school kid would resign in deference to the integrity of the game if he played that bad...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to one of those games but I'm not naive that one isn't going to happen and when it does, my bet is he sacks up and comes roaring back ala Peyton or Luck and doesn't fade out like so many other "flash in the pan" guys have...

albany ed
10-22-2019, 09:48 AM
I think one big difference between most of the Manning led teams and the Luck led teams and this team is that if Manning or Luck had bad or even mediocre games, the Colts lost. This team has a bunch of contributors. All of them are capable of playing good or bad games, but there are so many, that opposing teams can't key on one, two or even three players to shut us down. You have 3 RBs with different skill sets, 3 TEs, several WRs (when healthy), studs on the OL and on defense, there are now some pass rushers, lbers and DBs that can impact the game with turnovers or sacks. The defense is not great, but getting better all the time. With this balance, it's possible for Jacoby to have a pedestrian game and the team still wins. With Manning and Luck, they needed to play well or we lost.

Chromeburn
10-22-2019, 01:33 PM
Quietly, Brissett has:

4th most passing TDs in the league
3rd least interceptions
24th least pass attempts

I think a lot of the 'game manager' talk is just people latching on to a term and using it so they have something to say.

More accurately, Reich's game plan produces a different set of expectations from the Quarterback position than we see frequently. JB so far is filling the role. If Vinny had made one of his two missed FGs, or made his extra point In week 1, we would be a 5-1 team and the conversations about us would be different.

There's some interesting poultry going on: How much is Reich changing for Brissett and how mush is Brissett changing for Reich?

I think it’s just people trying to make an evaluation on limited data. It’s the culture we have created be first to get the word out no matter if it’s accurate or not.

We saw him take a backseat to the run game, so he was a game manager.

We then saw him throw a lot on a defense with a poor secondary and determined to stop the run, so now he is a game changer.

I think he is doing pretty well, but he also has a good team around him. The question I have about him is can he beat the best defenses at playoff time. When they have shut down the run game and he has to pass to win. A team that has a good secondary. Now scheme will help him a lot, but at some point he will have to make those impossible throws to win a game. Can he do it? Hopefully we will find out.

indycolts2
10-22-2019, 02:16 PM
I think it’s just people trying to make an evaluation on limited data. It’s the culture we have created be first to get the word out no matter if it’s accurate or not.

We saw him take a backseat to the run game, so he was a game manager.

We then saw him throw a lot on a defense with a poor secondary and determined to stop the run, so now he is a game changer.

I think he is doing pretty well, but he also has a good team around him. The question I have about him is can he beat the best defenses at playoff time. When they have shut down the run game and he has to pass to win. A team that has a good secondary. Now scheme will help him a lot, but at some point he will have to make those impossible throws to win a game. Can he do it? Hopefully we will find out.That last point you make is why I'm hoping Campbell gets healthy and becomes the weapon Colts brass envisioned and Funchess as well. I refuse to take shots at those receivers who are available because it seems they always are but Campbell/Funchess were supposed to be game changers and if faced with a top defense and having to pass in order to win JB needs them out there.

indycolts2
10-22-2019, 02:20 PM
I hope we get to find out. I'm always intrigued by the mentality of QB's who feel setting the new bar is more important than still getting generational wealth yet making sure the team can still maneuver and not be handicapped by their contract.

Chromeburn
10-22-2019, 02:39 PM
That last point you make is why I'm hoping Campbell gets healthy and becomes the weapon Colts brass envisioned and Funchess as well. I refuse to take shots at those receivers who are available because it seems they always are but Campbell/Funchess were supposed to be game changers and if faced with a top defense and having to pass in order to win JB needs them out there.

Funchess likely will become an outlet on blitz downs with mancoverage. Parris seems like a gadget weapon right now. He can run deep but JB has trouble knowing when to pull the trigger on those deep balls and is late often in his timing. Still should be a bit better with them.

I hope we get to find out. I'm always intrigued by the mentality of QB's who feel setting the new bar is more important than still getting generational wealth yet making sure the team can still maneuver and not be handicapped by their contract.

Who does this? I can think of Brady and that’s it. Everyone else wants to get paid just like any other industry.

Maniac
10-23-2019, 09:03 AM
That last point you make is why I'm hoping Campbell gets healthy and becomes the weapon Colts brass envisioned and Funchess as well. I refuse to take shots at those receivers who are available because it seems they always are but Campbell/Funchess were supposed to be game changers and if faced with a top defense and having to pass in order to win JB needs them out there.

Where was this said that Funchess was supposed to be a "game changer"?

albany ed
10-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Where was this said that Funchess was supposed to be a "game changer"?

Not sure where it was said, BUT, there's 13 million rea$ons to think that Ballard thought as much.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-23-2019, 11:32 AM
o
(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

o

Jacoby was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Texans.

Congratulations to him - well deserved!

https://www.colts.com/news/jacoby-brissett-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week-7-texans

Maniac
10-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Not sure where it was said, BUT, there's 13 million rea$ons to think that Ballard thought as much.

That's the natural progression of salaries.

He's the 24th highest avg salary WR, and tied for 155th in overal league avg salary.

I still am not seeing why there is this expectation of him being a game changer.

Colts And Orioles
10-23-2019, 12:38 PM
o

(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

o
o

To keep this in perspective, regarding the eras in which these 3 different quarterbacks played in ........

Johnny Unitas: llllll),, 1956-1973 lll.) (1956-1972 with the Colts)

Peyton Manning: ll..,, 1998-2015 llll) (1998-2010 with the Colts)

Jacoby Brissett: llllll,) 2016- 2019 llll. (2017-2019 with the Colts)

A) ) Prior to 1974, a defensive player could hit a receiver an unlimited number of times downfield, so long as the ball was not in the air.

Starting in 1974, the most severe rule change regarding pass receivers and defenders was enacted ...... a player could only make contact one time beyond 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. This makes one appreciate what Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. accomplished. These quarterbacks all had most or all of their careers played prior to the 1974 season.

B) ) In 1977, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers a second time. Starting that season, a defender could only make contact with a receiver one time, and one time only ........ whether it be within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage, or further downfield.

C) ) In 1978, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers yet again. Starting that season, a defender could make contact with a receiver only one time, and within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. If the defender made contact with a receiver 6 yards or more from the line of scrimmage it was now considered pass interference, even if the ball was not yet in the air.

* ) In the last 10-15 years, more rule changes protecting both the receivers and the quarterbacks has allowed offensive statistics to increase even higher than they already had been.

o

albany ed
10-24-2019, 06:10 AM
That's the natural progression of salaries.

He's the 24th highest avg salary WR, and tied for 155th in overal league avg salary.

I still am not seeing why there is this expectation of him being a game changer.

There are 32 teams, and each team starts 2 WRs most of the time. That's 64 starting WRs. Quick math tells me he'd the highest paid WR on at least 8 teams.

Dam8610
10-24-2019, 07:41 AM

Funchess is on a 1 year, $10 million deal.

YDFL Commish
10-24-2019, 08:02 AM
I look at it this way. If Funchess comes back and tears it up in the playoffs, the $13 million will look like a wise investment, and nobody will care where he is on the scale of WR pay.

Besides, that $13 million hasn't prevented Ballard from making a single move that he could or may make.

Chromeburn
10-24-2019, 10:01 AM
I look at it this way. If Funchess comes back and tears it up in the playoffs, the $13 million will look like a wise investment, and nobody will care where he is on the scale of WR pay.

Besides, that $13 million hasn't prevented Ballard from making a single move that he could or may make.

Funchess was worth the try, we need a 2nd receiver that complements TY. Still might pay off.

We could use one of those pass rushers Green Bay signed, that we were in on, right now.

Chromeburn
10-24-2019, 10:30 AM
One thing I wanted to say about Brisset in this last game is his touch on throws seemed to be a little better. He still strong armed some stuff, but he didn't strong arm every throw, which might mean things are slowing down for him and he is processing in the pocket more.

Also a shout out to the protection he is receiving which is allowing him to process things. Except for Glowinski who is the weak link there I think the line has been doing well.

YDFL Commish
10-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Funchess was worth the try, we need a 2nd receiver that complements TY. Still might pay off.

We could use one of those pass rushers Green Bay signed, that we were in on, right now.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Vic Beasley on a 1 year rental. I think his lack of production in Atlanta is largely due to how he is being misused there. That entire defense is a hot mess, and much of it is due to coaching.

No more than a 3rd round pick though.

Chromeburn
10-24-2019, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Vic Beasley on a 1 year rental. I think his lack of production in Atlanta is largely due to how he is being misused there. That entire defense is a hot mess, and much of it is due to coaching.

No more than a 3rd round pick though.

Beasley scares me, I think he might be fools gold. He had that one good year then has been largely disappointing since. I remember reading an article and they went through his rookie sacks and they were mostly due to luck and opportunity and not effort. For example; he is unblocked and has an easy path to the QB. I'd say no to the Von Miller rumors also.

Grady Jarrett on the other hand...

Maniac
10-24-2019, 07:53 PM
There are 32 teams, and each team starts 2 WRs most of the time. That's 64 starting WRs. Quick math tells me he'd the highest paid WR on at least 8 teams.

And the vast majority of those are just decent players. Very few are game changers. Explain to me why Funchess is one of those... Salary doesn't make a player a game changer.

albany ed
10-25-2019, 05:13 AM
And the vast majority of those are just decent players. Very few are game changers. Explain to me why Funchess is one of those... Salary doesn't make a player a game changer.

Of course salary doesn't make a player a game changer, but it does make me feel that Ballard, who I have enormous faith in, does value Funchess. He's big, and can create problems for the smaller DBs, and he's fast enough to be a mismatch for any LBer. Like Ebron, he's a red zone man. When he returns, we'll see, I can't wait.

Maniac
10-25-2019, 06:38 AM
Of course salary doesn't make a player a game changer, but it does make me feel that Ballard, who I have enormous faith in, does value Funchess. He's big, and can create problems for the smaller DBs, and he's fast enough to be a mismatch for any LBer. Like Ebron, he's a red zone man. When he returns, we'll see, I can't wait.

Of course Ballard valued him or he wouldn't have signed him, but people need to stop with the over the top and frankly silly praise for someone who hasn't done anything yet. Calling someone a game changer when they are in their 5th season in the league and have two 100 yard games for their career is just ridiculous.

Look, I hope the kid does great. I hope he shows out and becomes what we need for a second receiver, but I am not annointing him with what he has done so far.

albany ed
10-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Of course Ballard valued him or he wouldn't have signed him, but people need to stop with the over the top and frankly silly praise for someone who hasn't done anything yet. Calling someone a game changer when they are in their 5th season in the league and have two 100 yard games for their career is just ridiculous.

Look, I hope the kid does great. I hope he shows out and becomes what we need for a second receiver, but I am not annointing him with what he has done so far.

You're right, I'll just think of him as a POTENTIAL game changer.

Chromeburn
10-25-2019, 09:45 AM

You obviously haven’t seen Deon Cain the game changing 2nd year/rookie who is tearing up the league just like everyone said he would because of a few positive practice reports.

albany ed
10-25-2019, 09:59 AM
One of the things I especially like about Frank Reich's schemes is there are a variety of possible game changers, depending on who they play, how he anticipates the scheme of the opposing defense and the matchups he can take advantage of. If you had to pick out some game changers from last week, who would you pick?

Pez
10-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Jacoby Brissett, Zach Pascal, Eric Ebron, Frank Reich

rcubed
10-25-2019, 01:11 PM
You obviously haven’t seen Deon Cain the game changing 2nd year/rookie who is tearing up the league just like everyone said he would because of a few positive practice reports.
Deon. Fucking. Cain.

Colts And Orioles
10-28-2019, 01:03 PM
o

(vs. BRONCOS, 10/27)

Frank Reich, on Jacoby Brissett's escape from Von Miller AND long completion to T.Y. Hilton on the same play ........

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27944984

o

Oldcolt
10-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Jacoby is getting himself some national love

https://sports.yahoo.com/peter-schrager-why-indianapolis-colts-140832097.html

To me that throw on the run (something he wasn't supposed to be capable of) after escaping Von Miller was most definitely not a throw that a qb who only 'manages' the game makes. If our last qb made that throw everyone would be saying it was a throw that shows how he can put a team on his back and win in spite of the team.

YDFL Commish
10-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Jacoby is getting himself some national love

https://sports.yahoo.com/peter-schrager-why-indianapolis-colts-140832097.html

To me that throw on the run (something he wasn't supposed to be capable of) after escaping Von Miller was most definitely not a throw that a qb who only 'manages' the game makes. If our last qb made that throw everyone would be saying it was a throw that shows how he can put a team on his back and win in spite of the team.

I'll eat some crow. Because just last week, I said that throwing on the run was an area of Jacoby's game that he needed to work on.

Well that throw was an absolute laser from Jacoby.

ChoppedWood
10-28-2019, 05:50 PM
I'll eat some crow. Because just last week, I said that throwing on the run was an area of Jacoby's game that he needed to work on.

Well that throw was an absolute laser from Jacoby.

I think he has only one flaw- and that being too timid to try to force the ball into a spot with a guy playing tight coverage on the man he wants to hit- and that's not a minor weakness- it is gonna end up biting us hard in the ass at some critical juncture...if he doesn't overcome it.

I just have to believe that Siriani and Reich can coach it into him. By and large this D, for some of the shortcomings they have illustrated, have proven that they can carry the water after a TO. I want to see a game where he throws caution to the wind and uncorks the ball and see what happens. If he can develop that skill, shit Brissett may end up being a league MVP type guy.

omahacolt
10-28-2019, 06:18 PM
I think he has only one flaw- and that being too timid to try to force the ball into a spot with a guy playing tight coverage on the man he wants to hit- and that's not a minor weakness- it is gonna end up biting us hard in the ass at some critical juncture...if he doesn't overcome it.

I just have to believe that Siriani and Reich can coach it into him. By and large this D, for some of the shortcomings they have illustrated, have proven that they can carry the water after a TO. I want to see a game where he throws caution to the wind and uncorks the ball and see what happens. If he can develop that skill, shit Brissett may end up being a league MVP type guy.

His deep ball timing is terrible

ChoppedWood
10-28-2019, 06:21 PM
His deep ball timing is terrible

Similar deal- trust it and let the MF'er go- twice on those throws to Cain- though they've gotten us big chunks- he's .5 to .75 too late- let the fucker go and trust your guys to make a play! The throw on the run to TY- damn man you can't throw a ball any better- just gotta be willing to try it more in the scheme than in a moment of despair.

Oldcolt
10-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Agree on deep ball. Not so sure I want him to try to throw into tighter coverage. Love his lack of interceptions.

TheMugwump
10-28-2019, 09:13 PM
Game Manager = Low interception rate

albany ed
10-29-2019, 06:54 AM
Game Manager = Low interception rate

More accurately put, Game Managers have a low interception rate,

Low Interception rate does not necessarily = Game Manager

Chromeburn
10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
I would like to see him get the ball out under 3 seconds. He holds onto to it too long. He is awesome at escaping thankfully. If he wasn’t his sack numbers would be huge. But ideally I would like to see 2.5 seconds then release. Maybe Funchess and Campbell will help this, but he needs to get the ball out. Even with this line it is too long.

albany ed
10-29-2019, 01:58 PM
I would like to see him get the ball out under 3 seconds. He holds onto to it too long. He is awesome at escaping thankfully. If he wasn’t his sack numbers would be huge. But ideally I would like to see 2.5 seconds then release. Maybe Funchess and Campbell will help this, but he needs to get the ball out. Even with this line it is too long.

I think it's his inability to go through his progressions quickly. If his first look isn't open, he just takes too long finding the 2nd and 3rd option. Hopefully, he can improve this, or the playoffs will be 1 and done.

VeveJones007
10-29-2019, 04:13 PM
I think it's his inability to go through his progressions quickly. If his first look isn't open, he just takes too long finding the 2nd and 3rd option. Hopefully, he can improve this, or the playoffs will be 1 and done.

This has been a common refrain that I've seen on Twitter and I don't agree with it. I've looked at every play and Brissett is missing about 2-3 reads per game. In other words, he's been grading at over 90% on reading the field.

I broke this down in my recap of the Chiefs game, but Mahomes missed at least 5 big plays that easily would've swung the game against the Colts. Every QB has some up and down games and hardly anyone is perfect in that regard.

VeveJones007
10-29-2019, 04:21 PM
I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow and won't be able to grade the DEN and PIT games until after the MIA game, but here's where I think Brissett is after 7 games:

Pros:
-Has an NFL arm; you don't have to limit the playbook in that regard
-Works the pocket well
-Hard to bring down, can extend plays
-Puts very few throws in harms way

Areas for Improvement:
-More refined timing. At times, he isn't in sync with receivers, particularly on the deep ball.
-Needs to help receivers get open more often via timing/ball placement and using his eyes.
-When evading pressure, keep eyes downfield for big play. He's had a few more of these in recent games, so we're already seeing improvement here.
-Ball protection vs the rush

Needs Further Evaluation:
-Blitz reads, particularly hitting the hot read. This is something I want to key on when I watch the Denver game. However, it may be that the play design lacks the necessary option or the receiver missed it.

‪Overall, I'd grade him as a B/B+ through 7 games. He’s certainly answered whether or not he’s a Top 20 QB. The question now is whether he can improve enough to warrant Top 10 and “Franchise QB” consideration.‬

ChoppedWood
10-29-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow and won't be able to grade the DEN and PIT games until after the MIA game, but here's where I think Brissett is after 7 games:

Pros:
-Has an NFL arm; you don't have to limit the playbook in that regard
-Works the pocket well
-Hard to bring down, can extend plays
-Puts very few throws in harms way

Areas for Improvement:
-More refined timing. At times, he isn't in sync with receivers, particularly on the deep ball.
-Needs to help receivers get open more often via timing/ball placement and using his eyes.
-When evading pressure, keep eyes downfield for big play. He's had a few more of these in recent games, so we're already seeing improvement here.
-Ball protection vs the rush

Needs Further Evaluation:
-Blitz reads, particularly hitting the hot read. This is something I want to key on when I watch the Denver game. However, it may be that the play design lacks the necessary option or the receiver missed it.

‪Overall, I'd grade him as a B/B+ through 7 games. He’s certainly answered whether or not he’s a Top 20 QB. The question now is whether he can improve enough to warrant Top 10 and “Franchise QB” consideration.‬

Great analysis as usual. For a guy that really has call it 2 years of starting experience under his belt- the guy has shown a lot of promise. Refine some of the rough edges and we may have something exceptional in JB.

Phelanka7
10-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Maybe Funchess and Campbell will help this, but he needs to get the ball out. Even with this line it is too long.

Speaking of which - Has anyone heard when/if Funchess would be returning this season?

HoosierinFL
10-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Speaking of which - Has anyone heard when/if Funchess would be returning this season?

I heard mid-November

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
10-29-2019, 08:10 PM

Reich indicated that Funchess would likely start practicing this week. If that timing holds, the earliest he could return to game action would be Week 11 vs. Jacksonville

Colts And Orioles
11-04-2019, 02:42 PM
o

In 2008, Matt Cassel stepped in and led the New England Patriots to an 11-5 record when starting quarterback when Tom Brady missed the season with an injury.

Those 2008 Patriots were essentially a playoff team, save for the fact that the stacked AFC that season made the Patriots only the 2nd team since the 16-game schedule was inaugurated in 1978 to fail to to qualify for the postseason (the 1985 Broncos also went 11-5 without a playoff berth.)

This article asserts that when Chris Ballard was hired as the Colts' GM almost 3 years ago, he made sure to point out that one player does not make a football team (a direct reference to star quarterback Andrew Luck.) Ballard wanted to build a complete team so that the weight of the franchise wouldn’t be placed entirely on Luck's shoulders, as it did with the way that the Colts' disastrous 2011 season played out when Peyton Manning missed that entire year with an injury.

So as much of a punch to the stomach that Andrew Luck's sudden retirement was to the Colts and their fans, we will all get to see if the 2019 Colts team that Ballard largely put together can somehow replicate the 2008 Patriots, the 1968 Colts (who went 13-1 and made it to the Super Bowl with Earl Morrall replacing Johnny Unitas at QB), or the 1972 Dolphins (who went 14-0 and won the Super Bowl with Earl Morrall filling in for the injured Bob Griese for more than half of the regular season, plus one-and-a-half of their 3 post-season games.)

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Jacoby Brissett is No Andrew Luck, but His 'Story's is Just Starting' for the Colts

(By Mike Wells)

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/24731/jacoby-brissett-no-andrew-luck-but-storys-just-starting-for-colts

o
o

10 WEEKS LATER ) (Halfway Mark)

While the Colts lost yesterday in extremely frustrating fashion, the fact that the game went right down to the wire without Jacoby Brissett for the majority of the contest emphasizes the point that was made by Chris Ballard before the season started ........ that this is indeed a solid, competitive TEAM, with or without Andrew Luck, and even more so, even without Jacoby Brissett.

Yes, the loss sucked, as did the disappointing overall performance against the Raiders, and the very winnable game that the Colts lost to the Chargers ........ even the win against the Broncos was somewhat disappointing in spite of the fact that the Colts won the game, considering how bad of a team that the Broncos are. But the bottom line appears to have been confirmed ........ whether it be Andrew Luck, Jacoby Brisett, or even Brian Hoyer taking the snaps from center, I don't think that there is a team in the league that looks at their schedule and presumes that they will get an easy win when they play the Colts. I don't think that even the best teams in the league (the Patriots, the Chiefs, the 49ers, the Packers, the Saints, etc) look at the Colts in that manner. And so at the halfway mark of the 2019 season, I suspect that Chris Ballard is very likely pleased with his effort to not make the Indianapolis Colts a one-man show.

o

Oldcolt
11-04-2019, 05:01 PM
I’m hoping Ballard isn’t pleased about anything on this team.

albany ed
11-04-2019, 05:45 PM
I’m hoping Ballard isn’t pleased about anything on this team.

I hope he is, there's a lot to be pleased abut. I hope he's far from satisfied, especially with his own efforts, but pleased that he has started building a solid team. There's very few old timers on this team, and the oldest is certainly in his last year.

Colts And Orioles
11-09-2019, 03:08 PM
o

Brissett will not play against the Dolphins on Sunday ........

Colts Rule Out Jacoby Brissett for Dolphins Game

(ESPN News Services)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28041049/colts-rule-jacoby-brissett-dolphins-game

o

rcubed
11-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Smart. Let him rest his knee against the phins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colts And Orioles
11-22-2019, 03:18 AM
o

Another point of view ........

Jacoby Brissett Holding Back Colts is Present & Future Problem for Indianapolis

(By Brent Sobleski)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863797-jacoby-brissett-holding-back-colts-is-present-future-problem-for-indianapolis

o

ChoppedWood
11-22-2019, 08:04 AM
o

Another point of view ........

Jacoby Brissett Holding Back Colts is Present & Future Problem for Indianapolis

(By Brent Sobleski)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863797-jacoby-brissett-holding-back-colts-is-present-future-problem-for-indianapolis

o

Wait, wait, wait, this guy just advocated having Hoyer "develop" a draftee. FUCK YOU BRENT, FUCK YOU TO HELL! The article makes some decent points, then he endorses a year with Hoyer at the helm. I need to take a few days off work to recover from the trauma encountered by reading that!

JAFF
11-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Brissett has benefited from a great run game. And last night showed how important Mack is to this team.

What Brissett hasn't had for the last 4 games is an honest to god #1 reciever. TY wasn't TY. The only guy he can count on is Jack Doyle. Its hard to judge a QB when guys don't catch the ball or run a route deep enough to get a first down.

Brissett wasn't great last night, but he didn't get a lot of help. Drops, missed blocks, penalties, missed penalties and an inability to get to the opposing QB is what lost the game.

The Colts don't need a new QB. They need a ass kicking DE/DT that can get to the QB. They need two recievers that can stay healthy and make plays.

All of the above would cost less than a QB

Brylok
11-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Jacoby can't throw the ball 20 yards down field. You could put Jerry Rice and Randy Moss opposite each other, it wouldn't matter much if the ball can't get to them.

Luck4Reich
11-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Jacoby can't throw the ball 20 yards down field. You could put Jerry Rice and Randy Moss opposite each other, it wouldn't matter much if the ball can't get to them.

This!

CanuckColt
11-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Brissett has benefited from a great run game. And last night showed how important Mack is to this team.

What Brissett hasn't had for the last 4 games is an honest to god #1 reciever. TY wasn't TY. The only guy he can count on is Jack Doyle. Its hard to judge a QB when guys don't catch the ball or run a route deep enough to get a first down.

Brissett wasn't great last night, but he didn't get a lot of help. Drops, missed blocks, penalties, missed penalties and an inability to get to the opposing QB is what lost the game.

The Colts don't need a new QB. They need a ass kicking DE/DT that can get to the QB. They need two recievers that can stay healthy and make plays.

All of the above would cost less than a QB
They DO need a new QB.

CanuckColt
11-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Reich would make them run short crossing routes.

Brylok
11-25-2019, 09:42 PM

Gotta fit Jacoby's skill set...

Dam8610
11-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Jerry Rice was known for taking short crossing routes to the house.

Oldcolt
11-26-2019, 09:55 PM
We are not going to get another franchise quarterback. It took us years of being shit to land Peyton. We got a huge break to get our next one. We need to build a great defense and put guys around a decent qb. Not sure if that qb is Brissett but not sure it isn't. Which guy is the real player, the first game against Houston or the second game? Hell if I know.

Colts And Orioles
11-26-2019, 11:23 PM
We are not going to get another franchise quarterback. It took us years of being shit to land Peyton. We got a huge break to get our next one. We need to build a great defense and put guys around a decent qb. Not sure if that qb is Brissett but not sure it isn't. Which guy is the real player, the first game against Houston or the second game? Hell if I know.

o

The Colts had one shit year which landed them Peyton Manning ........ the 3-13 1997 season.

In 1996 the Colts went 9-7 and made the playoffs, in 1995 they went 9-7 and made the playoffs, and in 1994 they went 8-8.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/colts

The Colts had 5 or 6 shit years between 1984 and 1993, but they had nothing to do with their eventual landing of Manning.

o

Brylok
11-27-2019, 03:03 AM
o

The Colts had one shit year which landed them Peyton Manning ........ the 3-13 1997 season.

In 1996 the Colts went 9-7 and made the playoffs, in 1995 they went 9-7 and made the playoffs, and in 1994 they went 8-8.

The Colts had 5 or 6 shit years between 1984 and 1993, but they had nothing to do with their eventual landing of Manning.

o

Haha! Five or six shit years before Peyton Manning? Good lord! That's your Baltimore talking. Try eleven shit years to start. The Colts were awful! They were a national laughing stock. I grew up with it. My family were Bears fans because the Colts were a joke. Non competitive. Then, when I was in the Navy, they had the Harbaugh year. I was still a Bears fan and took some heat from the guys who knew I was from Indy. I remember "no trim til the Colts win" and people's dad's walking around looking like Grisley Adams. "Lord help our Colts" was a weekly staple. I remember one year when Subway offered a promotion on the last game of the season, that if the Colts beat the Jets, you can get a 6 inch sub for the price of the point difference. The Colts won by a field goal, and by the time I got to the Subway, they were out of bread. Three cent subs sell out fast. And after that, at least half of the damn fans wanted to draft Ryan Leaf.
I know you're old as hell and I have nothing against you or anything, but that post was asinine. Absolutely clueless about Colts life in Indianapolis before Peyton Manning.
Five or six shit years...jeezus

ChoppedWood
11-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Haha! Five or six shit years before Peyton Manning? Good lord! That's your Baltimore talking. Try eleven shit years to start. The Colts were awful! They were a national laughing stock. I grew up with it. My family were Bears fans because the Colts were a joke. Non competitive. Then, when I was in the Navy, they had the Harbaugh year. I was still a Bears fan and took some heat from the guys who knew I was from Indy. I remember "no trim til the Colts win" and people's dad's walking around looking like Grisley Adams. "Lord help our Colts" was a weekly staple. I remember one year when Subway offered a promotion on the last game of the season, that if the Colts beat the Jets, you can get a 6 inch sub for the price of the point difference. The Colts won by a field goal, and by the time I got to the Subway, they were out of bread. Three cent subs sell out fast. And after that, at least half of the damn fans wanted to draft Ryan Leaf.
I know you're old as hell and I have nothing against you or anything, but that post was asinine. Absolutely clueless about Colts life in Indianapolis before Peyton Manning.

Man those were some fucked up times- I remember going to games and 70% of the crowd, regardless of the opponent, were for them- including folks from Indy! Go to a Browns or Bills game, better be ready to get beat up by their fans. Dean Beasucci was a fucking star back then- he had like 85% of our points for a decade or so!

smitty46953
11-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Right there with ya Brylok :cool:

Brylok
11-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Man those were some fucked up times- I remember going to games and 70% of the crowd, regardless of the opponent, were for them- including folks from Indy! Go to a Browns or Bills game, better be ready to get beat up by their fans. Dean Beasucci was a fucking star back then- he had like 85% of our points for a decade or so!

I was going to mention Dean Biasucci being the Colts best player but I didn't want to rant too much. Jack Trudeau at quarterback. The "Da Bears" guys on Saturday Night Live used to joke about the Colts. Five or six years...
I also remember the Pacers in the 80s. Before Reggie Miller. People would come to the elementary schools and give out free tickets. All you had to do was go to the main office and ask for them. "Can I have five Pacers tickets please?". Sure, here you go! I saw many a game at Market Square Arena in the Wayman Tisdale era. Pacers lost 85% of them but we kids had fun.
Times sure have changed but Indy sports fans should hope they never return to those days. Colts games were blacked out on TV most weeks. Five or six years...jeez

Oldcolt
11-27-2019, 11:25 AM
I've been a colt fan for over 50 years. I can remember buying a bic lighter with the Colts logo in Tahoe and having the girl at the counter actually laugh at me. They spent years as the worst run organization in football, always looking for that qb who could play the game. Peyton's first year I was watching him and my wife came into the room. She said to me 'Are you actually crying over a football game?' because I had tears in my eyes. I told her that after all these years we finally had a qb an would be actually fun to watch. She said I was full of shit, the Colts always would be crap. We are not going down that route again (decades of crappiness- really from Bert Jones to Manning with one half way good year with mixed in). Not with Ballard/Reich.

Oldcolt
11-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Colts and Orioles. I said that they spent years trying to get a franchise qb and were shit.I did not say all those years had anything to do with getting Manning. By shit I meant that they did not play any games that meant a damn thing after the first month or so of the season. Those were not fun teams to root for. The most exciting day of the year was draft day, I still have years of Pro Football draft digests to prove it. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. Obviously I would like to improve our qb play but not at the expense of the rest of the team. By that I mean not going all in for a qb that may or may not be a franchise guy by giving up a lot of assets to get him. By assets I mean draft assets ie picks.

Racehorse
11-27-2019, 01:03 PM
I was going to mention Dean Biasucci being the Colts best player but I didn't want to rant too much. Jack Trudeau at quarterback. The "Da Bears" guys on Saturday Night Live used to joke about the Colts. Five or six years...
I also remember the Pacers in the 80s. Before Reggie Miller. People would come to the elementary schools and give out free tickets. All you had to do was go to the main office and ask for them. "Can I have five Pacers tickets please?". Sure, here you go! I saw many a game at Market Square Arena in the Wayman Tisdale era. Pacers lost 85% of them but we kids had fun.
Times sure have changed but Indy sports fans should hope they never return to those days. Colts games were blacked out on TV most weeks. Five or six years...jeez

Not to mention Slick doing a telethon to keep the team in Indy

Luck4Reich
11-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Colts and Orioles. I said that they spent years trying to get a franchise qb and were shit.I did not say all those years had anything to do with getting Manning. By shit I meant that they did not play any games that meant a damn thing after the first month or so of the season. Those were not fun teams to root for. The most exciting day of the year was draft day, I still have years of Pro Football draft digests to prove it. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. Obviously I would like to improve our qb play but not at the expense of the rest of the team. By that I mean not going all in for a qb that may or may not be a franchise guy by giving up a lot of assets to get him. By assets I mean draft assets ie picks.

Vern Fleming, Wayman Tisdale, Clark Kellogg and Quin Buckner lol..... Chuck Person "The Rifleman" got there a few years before Reggie..... like the Colts best years at 9-7 or 8-8.... pre Manning.... the Pacers were lucking to be a .500 team pre Reggie.

Brylok
11-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Not to mention Slick doing a telethon to keep the team in Indy

Oh man! I had totally forgotten about that. Can you imagine that happening in this day and age? No way that would be able to keep a team in town these days!

Brylok
11-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Vern Fleming, Wayman Tisdale, Clark Kellogg and Quin Buckner lol..... Cuck Person "The Rifleman" got there a few years before Reggie..... like the Colts best years at 9-7 or 8-8.... pre Manning.... the Pacers were lucking to be a .500 team pre Reggie.

Yep! Those were the guys we'd get free tickets to see. Absolutely correct!

Colts And Orioles
11-27-2019, 03:23 PM
o

o

o

The Colts had 6 losing seasons in that period between 1984 and 1996.

The Colts were the laughingstock from 1984 through 1986, when they won a total of 12 games (and lost 36.) The Eric Dickerson trade during the 1987 season trade changed that, and it showed in their record. I don't see going 9-6 with a division title, 9-7, and 8-8 as "shit."

I suppose that we have different definitions of "shit." For me, there was a significant difference between the 1984-1986 teams (that went a combined 12-36), the 1991 and 1993 teams (that went a combined 5-27), and the other teams between 1984 and 1996 that went .500 or better (except for the 7-9 1990 team.)

o

Colts And Orioles
11-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Colts and Orioles. I said that they spent years trying to get a franchise qb, and were shit.I did not say all those years had anything to do with getting Manning. By shit I meant that they did not play any games that meant a damn thing after the first month or so of the season. Those were not fun teams to root for. The most exciting day of the year was draft day, I still have years of Pro Football draft digests to prove it. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. Obviously I would like to improve our qb play but not at the expense of the rest of the team. By that I mean not going all in for a qb that may or may not be a franchise guy by giving up a lot of assets to get him. By assets I mean draft assets ie picks.

o

OK, but your sentence read that way.

Thanks for clarifying what you you meant to say.

o

Colts And Orioles
11-27-2019, 03:47 PM
o

The Colts had 6 losing seasons in that period between 1984 and 1996.

The Colts were the laughingstock from 1984 through 1986, when they won a total of 12 games (and lost 36.) The Eric Dickerson during the 1987 season trade changed that, and it showed in their record. I don't see going 9-6 with a division title, 9-7, and 8-8 as "shit."

I suppose that we have different definitions of "shit." For me, there was a significant difference between the 1984-1986 teams (that went a combined 12-36), the 1991 and 1993 teams (that went a combined 5-27), and the other teams between 1984 and 1996 that went .500 or better (except for the 7-9 1990 team.)

o
o

That said, I do acknowledge that those .500 or better teams between 1987 and 1996 were a long way from being the perennial contenders that they were with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck for almost every season between 1999 and 2018. In almost all of those Manning/Luck seasons I could at least dream of a Super Bowl appearance, while the only time that I had that in the pre-Manning/post-Baltimore years was 1995 and 1996 ........ and just a bit in 1987 when I saw an immediate transformation with the Dickerson trade.

o

Brylok
11-27-2019, 08:40 PM
o

That said, I do acknowledge that those .500 or better teams between 1987 and 1996 were a long way from being the perennial contenders that they were with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck for almost every season between 1999 and 2018. In almost all of those Manning/Luck seasons I could at least dream of a Super Bowl appearance, while the only time that I had that in the pre-Manning/post-Baltimore years was 1995 and 1996 ........ and just a bit in 1987 when I saw an immediate transformation with the Dickerson trade.

o

I don't intend to argue with you. You can look at the numbers on paper and come up with whatever you want, but I lived through those years in Indianapolis and surrounding areas and those were not good years. I think the majority of Colts fans would agree with me. And personally, no, I don't consider fighting to finish 8-8 every year as "good". Eric Dickerson never wanted to be here and didn't do all that much either.

Colts And Orioles
11-27-2019, 09:11 PM
I don't intend to argue with you. You can look at the numbers on paper and come up with whatever you want, but I lived through those years in Indianapolis and surrounding areas and those were not good years. I think the majority of Colts fans would agree with me. And personally, no, I don't consider fighting to finish 8-8 every year as "good". Eric Dickerson never wanted to be here and didn't do all that much either.

o

I don't want to argue with you either.

To say that Dickerson didn't do all that much when he was hear is absurd. They immediately went from being the worst team the league to winning a division title, largely because of him. It's not a coincidence that the Colts went 12-36 in the 3 years before he arrived, and then went 26-21 in his first 3 seasons with the team.

I also don't consider 8-8 to be a good season, but rather a mediocre season.

o

Chromeburn
11-27-2019, 10:25 PM
o

I don't want to argue with you either.

To say that Dickerson didn't do all that much when he was hear is absurd. They immediately went from being the worst team the league to winning a division title, largely because of him. It's not a coincidence that the Colts went 12-36 in the 3 years before he arrived, and then went 26-21 in his first 3 seasons with the team.

I also don't consider 8-8 to be a good season, but rather a mediocre season.

o

The view from Baltimore must have been nice. Bc people had little excitement about the team till Harbaugh almost took them to a SB. Sitting through the Emtman draft disaster, Jeff George disaster. It was an endless cycle of almost, then mediocre, then bad again. I don’t remember anyone even being remotely excited about Dickerson, he certainly wasn’t excited about being here. Manning finally turned it into a football state.

Colts And Orioles
11-27-2019, 10:41 PM
The view from Baltimore must have been nice. Bc people had little excitement about the team till Harbaugh almost took them to a SB. Sitting through the Emtman draft disaster, Jeff George disaster. It was an endless cycle of almost, then mediocre, then bad again. I don’t remember anyone even being remotely excited about Dickerson, he certainly wasn’t excited about being here. Manning finally turned it into a football state.

o

I'm not from Baltimore.

o

Colts And Orioles
12-01-2019, 06:08 PM
o

(vs. TITANS, 12/01)

Brissett was awful in the 2nd half after the Colts built of 17-7 lead on its (the 2nd half's) opening drive.

The Titans were getting a lot of pressure on him, but several of his decisions were terrible ........ he wilted badly in crunch time.

o

Racehorse
01-17-2020, 07:52 AM
Thinking about Brissett's leadership, does his leadership take a hit when he either doesn't see open WRs, or sees them and doesn't make a throw that is even close to accurate?

I was in the JB camp early on when he was scoring and not turning the ball over, but after the injury, he wasn't close to the same player. Can he get back to there and improve?

I don't want to bash the guy, because he is a Colt, but where is his ceiling? Has he reached it?

Colts And Orioles
01-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Thinking about Brissett's leadership, does his leadership take a hit when he either doesn't see open WRs, or sees them and doesn't make a throw that is even close to accurate?

I was in the JB camp early on when he was scoring and not turning the ball over, but after the injury, he wasn't close to the same player. Can he get back to there and improve?

I don't want to bash the guy, because he is a Colt, but where is his ceiling? Has he reached it?

o

Good questions, particularly the reference regarding his injury ........ perhaps that was part of the reason for his (and the team's) demise over the final 9 games of the seasons after the promising 5-2 start over the first 7.

o

rm1369
01-17-2020, 09:52 AM

I think he still has some room for improvement and I think he can deliver a lot of games like early in the season - with good OL and WR play. The problem is that I don’t believe he can elevate those around him like a great QB can. I like the guy and am rooting for him, but it doesn’t look like he has “it”. He may be able to improve his vision and reads, I just think his ceiling is basically as a system QB. Very rarely is his play going to elevate the team to a win. That makes it hard to have consistent success, especially against good teams (playoffs).

rm1369
01-17-2020, 09:57 AM
o

Good questions, particularly the reference regarding his injury ........ perhaps that was part of the reason for his (and the team's) demise over the final 9 games of the seasons after the promising 5-2 start over the first 7.

o

The colts point differential said they weren’t as good as the early record indicated. Teams don’t win that high a percentage of their one possession games. They certainly had some bad luck late, but they had a lot of good luck early. I think it’s a mistake to believe they were as good as their record said early. Or as bad as the late season collapse. They were a .500 team that caught a few breaks early and had a few bad breaks late.

kitekrazy
01-19-2020, 05:24 PM
I think he still has some room for improvement and I think he can deliver a lot of games like early in the season - with good OL and WR play. The problem is that I don’t believe he can elevate those around him like a great QB can. I like the guy and am rooting for him, but it doesn’t look like he has “it”. He may be able to improve his vision and reads, I just think his ceiling is basically as a system QB. Very rarely is his play going to elevate the team to a win. That makes it hard to have consistent success, especially against good teams (playoffs).

It would be different if he decided to retire right before the season.