PDA

View Full Version : Colts won't recoup $24.8 from Luck...

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Because they reached a financial settlement with him...

LAST WEEK

He's been schemin' and plottin' on this for a while IMO...

More and more I think this guy is a greedy snake that doesn't really give 2 shits about his team mates...Go back to Europe and ride your snow board and stay away from anything that resembles a team you d-bag...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

Colts And Orioles
08-25-2019, 12:51 PM

LAST WEEK

He's been schemin' and plottin' on this for a while, IMO ........

More and more I think that this guy is a greedy snake that doesn't really give 2 shits about his teammates ........ Go back to Europe, and ride your snow board and stay away from anything that resembles a team, you d-bag ........

o

A) ) Good info. Thank you.

B) ) I like this ........ I see this as Irsay and company/the Colts organization taking the high road, and as far as I'm concerned, a good reputation is a good thing. The more that my favorite team appears to be the antithesis of the Patriots (a perennially cheating organization known for Spy-Gate and Deflate-Gate almost as much as they are known for their Super Bowl appearances and their Super Bowl wins) in terms of reputation/credibility, the better.

o

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 12:59 PM
I am cool with that part of it O&C, Jim is a classy guy when it comes to comp for his guys.

But the fact this was LAST WEEK says a lot about what has really been going on behind the scenes and I think it speaks lout volumes about why Frank was so dismissive of Andrew working out in the warm ups last week- he was a Colt in name only by that time and I would say that's been the case for months as they worked out these terms.

These are some of the brightest financial guys going right- top paid GM's, top paid agents, this isn't some 3/4th string guy that breaks and arm prior to the season and he and the team strike some small injury settlement so he can have a little money in his pocket while searching out a possible team.

Nope- for a top 5 player in the league to basically reach an INJURY settlement LAST WEEK, man this has to have been in the works for a long time. I doubt Andy's agent called up Ballard last Tuesday and said "give us $24 Mil and we'll just ride of into the sunset" and Ballard said "yessir".... this has to be the result of a bunch of back and forth over some protracted period of time...

Again, to me, this looks like a long con by a con artist basically extorting his club for cash.

I have gone from loving this guy as the 2nd coming, a savior of my favorite team to despising him in the span of about 18 hours!

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 01:39 PM
I am cool with that part of it O&C, Jim is a classy guy when it comes to comp for his guys.

But the fact this was LAST WEEK says a lot about what has really been going on behind the scenes and I think it speaks lout volumes about why Frank was so dismissive of Andrew working out in the warm ups last week- he was a Colt in name only by that time and I would say that's been the case for months as they worked out these terms.

These are some of the brightest financial guys going right- top paid GM's, top paid agents, this isn't some 3/4th string guy that breaks and arm prior to the season and he and the team strike some small injury settlement so he can have a little money in his pocket while searching out a possible team.

Nope- for a top 5 player in the league to basically reach an INJURY settlement LAST WEEK, man this has to have been in the works for a long time. I doubt Andy's agent called up Ballard last Tuesday and said "give us $24 Mil and we'll just ride of into the sunset" and Ballard said "yessir".... this has to be the result of a bunch of back and forth over some protracted period of time...

Again, to me, this looks like a long con by a con artist basically extorting his club for cash.

I have gone from loving this guy as the 2nd coming, a savior of my favorite team to despising him in the span of about 18 hours!
Con artist? Come on, man!

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Con artist? Come on, man!

Dude, looks like he played this about as well as someone that saw an opening could. I just don't see this all developing over the span of a few days, just don't see how with a guy of his stature in the industry. And if that's the case and you're talking "months" worth of negotiation, and the guy basically had to play the "well I MIGHT and I MIGHT not" game in order to arrive at a golden parachute (brass' comments that it is Andy driving the process at this point from a couple / three weeks ago)... sorry not sure how that's not gaming the system for everything it's worth?

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Dude, looks like he played this about as well as someone that saw an opening could. I just don't see this all developing over the span of a few days, just don't see how with a guy of his stature in the industry. And if that's the case and you're talking "months" worth of negotiation, and the guy basically had to play the "well I MIGHT and I MIGHT not" game in order to arrive at a golden parachute (brass' comments that it is Andy driving the process at this point from a couple / three weeks ago)... sorry not sure how that's not gaming the system for everything it's worth?

A con artist wouldn’t play with a lacerated kidney. A con artist wouldn’t have been Comeback Player of the Year.

I get it. You’re pissed. We all are. However, you’re looking like a troll at this point.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 01:54 PM
A con artist wouldn’t play with a lacerated kidney. A con artist wouldn’t have been Comeback Player of the Year.

I get it. You’re pissed. We all are. However, you’re looking like a troll at this point.

I don't dispute his past injuries, I don't discount how fucking awesome the guy has been to this point, I think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread on that front.

However looking at things from a different prism with regard to this "calf strain" thing, I just don't find a way to put all the pieces together and say "yep, I get it", I just don't. If you're that bothered by the thing you have long since done something about it and if you just decided the time had come to hang them up, you didn't reach an injury settlement with your team- LAST WEEK! He looks terrible from where I sit.

Chromeburn
08-25-2019, 02:04 PM
This is hedging their bets. That money was already accounted for. They aren't going to dish it out to anyone else at this point. However, if in a year or two when Luck is healthy and feeling like himself again he might think about coming back. If that is the case Colts want to be at the front of the line.

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 02:13 PM
I don't dispute his past injuries, I don't discount how fucking awesome the guy has been to this point, I think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread on that front.

However looking at things from a different prism with regard to this "calf strain" thing, I just don't find a way to put all the pieces together and say "yep, I get it", I just don't. If you're that bothered by the thing you have long since done something about it and if you just decided the time had come to hang them up, you didn't reach an injury settlement with your team- LAST WEEK! He looks terrible from where I sit.

Fair enough. Just not a con artist.

Oldcolt
08-25-2019, 02:24 PM
This is hedging their bets. That money was already accounted for. They aren't going to dish it out to anyone else at this point. However, if in a year or two when Luck is healthy and feeling like himself again he might think about coming back. If that is the case Colts want to be at the front of the line.

It also keeps them looking good to other players in the league and on the team. It helps when free agency (we will have a shitload of money) rolls around and you are trying to sell your team. It's the smart classy move by the Colts.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 02:27 PM
It also keeps them looking good to other players in the league and on the team. It helps when free agency (we will have a shitload of money) rolls around and you are trying to sell your team. It's the smart classy move by the Colts.

He could have been just as smart and classy and said "nope, I didn't earn it this year, I can't in good conscience take that from you Mr. Irsay", he didn't.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 02:45 PM

His body failed, not his courage. I'm sixty and I'm in better shape right now than he is. He has a chance to heal, and spend time with his kid. He doesn't owe anyone a damn thing. He took a beating in the NFL, and he's going to pay for it the rest of his life and all the $$$ won't fix it

JAFF
08-25-2019, 02:52 PM
He could have been just as smart and classy and said "nope, I didn't earn it this year, I can't in good conscience take that from you Mr. Irsay", he didn't.

Just stop. Edge ran for 900+ yards one year, on two high ankle sprains. He didn't hit the number for a bonus. Irsay paid him anyway. Jim understands the sacrifice these guys make, with their bodies, for this game. Luck sold out, every game, every play. That's how he got his liver lacerated.

He busted his ass all off season to try and get ready and his body failed him. Luck loves football and now he's done. Want to know why people love playing for the Colts? Jim Irsay loves players and he doesnt fuck them.

DrSpaceman
08-25-2019, 03:10 PM
I don't really care about the money, except from a cap standpoint, and that part they can't change.

VeveJones007
08-25-2019, 03:15 PM

LAST WEEK

He's been schemin' and plottin' on this for a while IMO...

More and more I think this guy is a greedy snake that doesn't really give 2 shits about his team mates...Go back to Europe and ride your snow board and stay away from anything that resembles a team you d-bag...

I said this in another thread, but “late last week” could easily mean Thursday or Friday of this past week.

njcoltfan
08-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Speaking of that hypothetical, how long do the Colts hold his rights, I know that there's 3 more years left on his contract, but what happens when his contract is up??

Puck
08-25-2019, 03:40 PM

This was reported today. The first day of this week. Late last week would have been Thursday or Friday. They had planned to make an announcement today at3 pm but the story leaked so they did it last night.

Discflinger
08-25-2019, 04:08 PM
To be honest, I am absolutely positive that they knew for a couple of weeks and I believe asked Andrew to play the part for a bit to increase ticket sales. Same old crap. Just like they led us along when he went IR. It's a business and we buy what we are told. I still love the organization and put it with the best in the league, but that's really not saying much.

Chromeburn
08-25-2019, 04:11 PM
Speaking of that hypothetical, how long do the Colts hold his rights, I know that there's 3 more years left on his contract, but what happens when his contract is up??

I believe his contract reinstates if he comes back. So we would have his rights, but can’t make someone play for you. We will see how it plays out.

Puck
08-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I said this in another thread, but “late last week” could easily mean Thursday or Friday of this past week.

Especially since he didn't inform Irsay until Monday that he was retiring

Chromeburn
08-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Yeah, but really. They would have had to spend 24 million in a hurry to stay under the minimum expenditure rules. I don’t know how they would have done that. Easiest to just let him keep it I guess and hope he changes his mind while skiing in the alps.

Puck
08-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but really. They would have had to spend 24 million in a hurry to stay under the minimum expenditure rules. I don’t know how they would have done that. Easiest to just let him keep it I guess and hope he changes his mind while skiing in the alps.

Irsay did keep saying in a round about way that Luck could be back. Remember he had these thoughts when he was in Europe with the shoulder injury too. If he gets it figured out he may want to come back. This leaves the door open to him in a way. Never know

Maniac
08-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Unless they waive him, then when he retired, they hold his rights indefinitely. If he comes back, he'll be under contract with the Colts unless they decide to let him out of it to go elsewhere.

daedge
08-25-2019, 04:41 PM

A troll or a child. Either or.

Brylok
08-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Luck the thief...
In hindsight I wish we had kept Peyton Manning. I'm teetering on the edge of being done with the Colts and NFL in general.

JAFF
08-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Luck the thief...
In hindsight I wish we had kept Peyton Manning. I'm teetering on the edge of being done with the Colts and NFL in general.

Irasy is honoring the contract. It's his money not yours. The cap hit will be this year, not next year. The cap hit next year is minor. It's Jim's money, not yours. He can do what he wants. His Dad would fuck a player who did this. Does anyone wants old man IRsay back???

The hit to the team is the cap, and the cap is not in trouble.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

If you click to the next year, it's not a problem

Puck
08-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Luck the thief...

Quitter

Racehorse
08-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Luck the thief...

I see this as Jimmy's apology for getting the guy killed, not as Luck being a thief.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 07:44 PM
I see this as Jimmy's apology for getting the guy killed, not as Luck being a thief.

And that's fucking terribly sad. Grigson is the worst POS GM that ever soiled the league, him at the helm with Pags crazy ass scheme, God how did that disaster last as long as it did?

Chromeburn
08-25-2019, 08:22 PM
And that's fucking terribly sad. Grigson is the worst POS GM that ever soiled the league, him at the helm with Pags crazy ass scheme, God how did that disaster last as long as it did?

Yeah it was genius. Lets have a long ball scheme and build an oline with cheap low round picks and FA's. I can still see that confused worried look on Pagano's face. Throw a short pass? Nah air it out, get him killed.

Discflinger
08-26-2019, 05:19 AM
Luck the thief...

Your honesty and decisiveness is honorable. Fuck the system! The NFL IS everything wrong with corporate America.

Hoopsdoc
08-26-2019, 05:32 AM

I see it as a combination of Jim’s generosity and keeping the door open for a possible return.

Maniac
08-26-2019, 06:26 AM
I see it as a combination of Jim’s generosity and keeping the door open for a possible return.

from a yahoo article:

“How do you know – say a year from now, when the ankle’s finally healed – you won’t want to come back?” a reporter asked.

“I can’t see the future,” Luck responded. “But I very clearly in my mind see that I won’t.”

I'm sure Irsay would like to leave that option open, but it doesn't sound like Luck is.

Luck4Reich
08-26-2019, 06:57 AM
from a yahoo article:

I'm sure Irsay would like to leave that option open, but it doesn't sound like Luck is.

Maybe his wife told him, either you leave the game or I’m leaving you?:cool:

While that first comes off as selfish, it isn’t if she was tired of seeing him in pain. Idk... I got nothing:o

DrSpaceman
08-26-2019, 07:24 AM
Maybe his wife told him, either you leave the game or I’m leaving you?:cool:

While that first comes off as selfish, it isn’t if she was tired of seeing him in pain. Idk... I got nothing:o

The Colts have been Yoko'ed by Luck's new wife!!

No idea if that is true, but the thought did cross my mind

HoosierinFL
08-26-2019, 08:00 AM
The Colts have been Yoko'ed by Luck's new wife!!

No idea if that is true, but the thought did cross my mind

except they've been together since he was at Stanford. It's not like she's a recent interloper.
But you gotta think for sure that his claim from a year ago that he was a "miserable SOB" during the missed season was both an understatement, and something that took a serious toll on his marriage.

ZionsvilleColtsFan
08-26-2019, 10:26 AM
That $24.8M could have gone a long way in retaining and signing good players. It's quite a "parting gift" for a 29 year old

VeveJones007
08-26-2019, 10:56 AM
That $24.8M could have gone a long way in retaining and signing good players. It's quite a "parting gift" for a 29 year old

Nope. Half of that money was already given to Luck in 2016 (other half earlier in 2019) and the Colts have AMPLE cap space to do whatever they want.

This is just money out of Irsay's pocket which will have zero impact on anything, other than a token of goodwill to Andrew Luck. Not only is it the right thing to do, it won't dent Irsay's revenue and it won't prohibit the Colts from doing anything with other players.

ChoppedWood
08-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Nope. Half of that money was already given to Luck in 2016 (other half earlier in 2019) and the Colts have AMPLE cap space to do whatever they want.

This is just money out of Irsay's pocket which will have zero impact on anything, other than a token of goodwill to Andrew Luck. Not only is it the right thing to do, it won't dent Irsay's revenue and it won't prohibit the Colts from doing anything with other players.

At work we had this big project coming up. We had forecast a few quick million coming in the door by February. We still had some significant work to do to get it across the finish line, I was the Project Manager for it, had a bunch of developers and consultants doing some stuff.

This morning I went in and talked to the boss, told him I wasn't getting enough sleep, just didn't feel like I could keep doing it at the level he needed. I asked him if I could still get the $50K bonus that was supposed to make it to me at the end of the project. He said "F OFF", I have a bunch of other folks that are out there busting their asses trying to get this done, I will take that money and give more to them because now they will have to work harder. Get the F out of my office and don't let the door hit your ass."

That's fucking reality man. 12 quit on his team and for some reason people are all like, hey, he thought about doing the job, but he just felt like he couldn't, it's all cool to give him a dumptruck of cash.

I just don't understand this soft ass mentality at all. HE QUIT ON ALL OF US!

ZionsvilleColtsFan
08-26-2019, 12:17 PM

Thank you for the clarification as I didn't realize the $24.8M had no effect on salary cap.

With that said I don't believe the Luck family needed that $25M and would rather have seen it go to Gleaners or perhaps for a couple of Jimmy Page guitars...

VeveJones007
08-26-2019, 04:53 PM
At work we had this big project coming up. We had forecast a few quick million coming in the door by February. We still had some significant work to do to get it across the finish line, I was the Project Manager for it, had a bunch of developers and consultants doing some stuff.

This morning I went in and talked to the boss, told him I wasn't getting enough sleep, just didn't feel like I could keep doing it at the level he needed. I asked him if I could still get the $50K bonus that was supposed to make it to me at the end of the project. He said "F OFF", I have a bunch of other folks that are out there busting their asses trying to get this done, I will take that money and give more to them because now they will have to work harder. Get the F out of my office and don't let the door hit your ass."

That's fucking reality man. 12 quit on his team and for some reason people are all like, hey, he thought about doing the job, but he just felt like he couldn't, it's all cool to give him a dumptruck of cash.

Just some advice: You’re taking this way too personally. I realize some people need to vent, but remove “me” and “us” out of your vocabulary when it comes to Andrew Luck.

njcoltfan
08-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Man, if it bothers you so much root for the Patriots or some other team, shit happens, get over it !!

Colts And Orioles
08-26-2019, 06:04 PM

o

We're almost at the "I used to walk 5 miles to school, in the snow, with no shoes, and the walk was uphill both ways" stage.

o

JAFF
08-26-2019, 07:01 PM

He didn't quit on you or me. He retired from competitive football, which is a cruel career. He's getting out now, and lets face it, this sport has killed some of those who loved it.

He didn't work for you. You got to enjoy his skill and ability to make big plays. I'm glad I got to see him live when he dove over the goal line against KC. Wow.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm glad he's walking out while he can still walk.

He didn't run the other way at the battle of bull run. It's a game, not a war.

Racehorse
08-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Thank you for the clarification as I didn't realize the $24.8M had no effect on salary cap.

With that said I don't believe the Luck family needed that $25M and would rather have seen it go to Gleaners or perhaps for a couple of Jimmy Page guitars...

Maybe Luck is one who gives liberally to charities.