PDA

View Full Version : The final 53

Oldcolt
08-21-2019, 12:12 PM
I'd like to have opinions before the cut downs happen as to who we keep. Ballard has done us the favor of giving us many options for the final 53. Good options at that. I think there is an argument to be made for keeping 5 tight ends. As football becomes more 'positionless'. There is a good chance that we regret if either Henteges or Travis is let walk. They both have skill sets that can replace older more expensive players next year, if they continue to develop. I think Henteges is the fourth tight end, he blocks and Reich is committed to the run game, he has great hands and runs excellent routes. Travis is a playmaker. He will be split out most of the time. He ran a 4.6 40 with only two weeks practice. Pascal ran a 4.55 (he improved it to 4.46 on his pro day). Interesting how they will develop this team. Many options

HoosierinFL
08-21-2019, 12:48 PM
well what the fuck, I'll take a stab at making a 53:
Offense, (23 players):
WR: Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Rogers, Pascal
(Campbell will be put on PUP and return mid-season, at which point I expect Pascal to be cut barring any surprises)
TE: Doyle, Ebron, Cox, Hentges
(a surprise move might be to trade Doyle and keep Travis or maybe they cut Cox and keep Travis)
Tackle: Castonzo, Clark, Smith, Haeg
Guard: Nelson, Glowinski, Boehm,
Center: Kelly, Andrews
QB: Luck, Brissett
(another surprise move, a last minute trade of Brissett and keeping Kelly, and they've really just been holding Luck out to showcase Brissett a lot more)
RB: Mack, Hines, Wilkins

Defense (27 players):
End: Houston, Turay, Muhammad, Banogu, Green
(Sheard may also end up on PUP, if not, then Green is waived to practice squad to make room for Sheard)
Tackle: Autry, Hunt, Lewis, Stewart, Ward
LB: Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Speed, Adams, Franklin, S. Moore
CB: Desir, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Milton, K. Moore, Hairston
S: Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Farley

Special Teams (3):
Vinatieri, Sanchez, Rhodes

GoBigBlue88
08-21-2019, 02:09 PM
My stab, realizing this all probably changes this weekend/Monday based on Luck etc.

OFFENSE (25)

QB (2): Luck, Brissett
RB (4): Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Williams
WR (6): Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Rogers, Pascal
TE (4): Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox, Hentges
T (4): Castonzo, Smith, Clark, Barton
T/G (1): Haeg
G (3): Nelson, Glowinski, Eldrenkamp
C (1): Kelly

NOTES: Obviously this implies a healthy Luck for Week 1. If Luck isn't healthy, swap Barton's spot for Walker or TBD FA QB.

I think they keep 4 RBs because Wilkins is week-to-week, Mack is a traditional injury question mark and Hines is more of a WR/RB than a RB. I'm going to give that RB4 spot to Williams just purely guessing on severity of his injury, but if he's down Week 1, it's West instead.

This team is keeping 6 WRs as Campbell's hamstring lingers and there has been no special teams separation from any other players + Rogers/Pascal.

Picking OL beyond starters + Haeg kinda sucks. Staff seems to like Josh Andrews, but that's a no from me, dawg. Boehm isn't good. Eldrenkamp probably isn't worse than Boehm, but at that point in talent, it doesn't really matter if it's Boehm or Eldrenkamp or someone else entirely. I actually kinda wonder if it isn't a waiver wire add.

DEFENSE (25):

DE (5): Houston, Muhammad, Sheard, Turay, Banogu
DT (5): Autry, Hunt, Lewis, Stewart
LB (6): Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Speed, Franklin, Adams
CB (6): Desire, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Milton, Taylor
S (4): Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Odum

NOTES: Sheard's health obviously has an impact; this group needs another DL if he's down >first 2-3 weeks. I think Franklin and Adams are too good on special teams to omit, and Franklin can play SAM when team goes heavy. Milton seems like a lock by now, so carrying a 6th CB or 5th S is an interesting question. I've been impressed by Taylor and think he has upside, is a special teams contributor, so I have him slotted in ... but I could see the case for a number of others.

I think the top 3 safeties is a damn fine group, but no one beyond that wows me. I slotted in Odum because Ballard seems to love him, but he's never really shown me anything. Could just as easily by Farley.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):

K: Vinatieri
P: Sanchez
LS: Rhodes

TOUGHEST CUTS: Jihad Ward, Nate Hairston, Krishawn Hogan, Ross Travis, Carroll Phillips

Chromeburn
08-21-2019, 02:59 PM
I can see us drafting a TE next year along with some oline and a RB

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-21-2019, 03:44 PM
I think they keep 4 RBs because Wilkins is week-to-week, Mack is a traditional injury question mark and Hines is more of a WR/RB than a RB. I'm going to give that RB4 spot to Williams just purely guessing on severity of his injury, but if he's down Week 1, it's West instead.

I hope the Colts don't go with 4 RB's on the roster at the start of the season. I completely agree with you about the potential injury risk of both Mack and Wilkins - so at some point in the season, the Colts will need to add a 4th RB to the mix. I don't think it is necessarily required for Week 1, however.

JAFF
08-21-2019, 05:57 PM
I can see us drafting a TE next year along with some oline and a RB

QB is the first round.

:eek:

smitty46953
08-21-2019, 07:23 PM
QB is the first round.

:eek:

You tanking for Tua ? :cool:

Luck4Reich
08-21-2019, 11:09 PM
TOUGHEST CUTS: Jihad Ward, Nate Hairston, Krishawn Hogan, Ross Travis, Carroll Phillips

I would hate to to Ward and Phillips go.

Oldcolt
08-22-2019, 10:13 AM
I would hate to to Ward and Phillips go.

Same for Travis. I'm going to be bummed at who is cut for the first time in I don't know how long. Very cool

Pez
08-22-2019, 11:03 AM
TE: Doyle, Ebron, Cox, Hentges
(a surprise move might be to trade Doyle and keep Travis or maybe they cut Cox and keep Travis)

I was hoping they would find a way to keep Travis, but trading Doyle for him seems like a non starter, and Cox is developing well as a blocking TE. Hentges is just better, has shown more in card and has longer upside.

Zak Keefer on Hentges:

Two weeks and 11 practices into training camp and the running joke around Westfield is that the kid from Alabama – the blocking tight end who wasn’t supposed to be able to catch – hasn’t dropped a single pass. Not in individual drills, not in 7 vs. 7, not in full-team sessions. His hands are like glue.

Pez
08-22-2019, 11:05 AM
I really want to see Grover Stewart have a breakout year.

Oldcolt
08-22-2019, 11:57 AM
I really want to see Grover Stewart have a breakout year.

Nice call. If he does (and reports are that he has shaped his body to fit the type of defense we play a la Wilson) this line could be exceptional

I want the Colts to find a way to keep both Hentges and Travis. Keep only three running backs if you need to.. That fourth running back is someone that a waiver wire player would be almost as good as, not true for Hentges or Travis.

GoBigBlue88
08-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Nice call. If he does (and reports are that he has shaped his body to fit the type of defense we play a la Wilson) this line could be exceptional

I want the Colts to find a way to keep both Hentges and Travis. Keep only three running backs if you need to.. That fourth running back is someone that a waiver wire player would be almost as good as, not true for Hentges or Travis.

5 TEs is absurd lol. Especially if you're keeping at least 5 WRs, maybe 6.

I get liking Travis and Hentges, but Ebron/Doyle/Alie-Cox are locks. They're going to have to make a decision. Thank God this franchise is finally at a stage where they have to sweat those decisions.

Chromeburn
08-22-2019, 12:40 PM
OFFENSE:

QB (2): Luck, Brissett
RB (3): Mack, Hines, Wilkins
WR (6): Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers, Cain, Pascal
TE (4): Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox, Hentges
T (5): Castonzo, Smith, Clark, Barton, (SWING) Haeg
G (3): Nelson, Glowinski, Eldrenkamp
C (2): Kelly, Andrews

DEFENSE:

DE (5): Houston, Muhammad, Sheard, Turay, Banogu
DT (5): Autry, Hunt, Lewis, Stewart, Ward
LB (5): Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Speed, Franklin
CB (6): Desire, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Hairston, Milton
S (4): Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Farley

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):

K: Vinatieri
P: Sanchez
LS: Rhodes

Chromeburn
08-22-2019, 12:46 PM

I get liking Travis and Hentges, but Ebron/Doyle/Alie-Cox are locks. They're going to have to make a decision. Thank God this franchise is finally at a stage where they have to sweat those decisions.

https://www.colts.com/news/ross-travis-hale-hentges-tight-end-race

smitty46953
08-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Colts today signed free agent defensive tackle Johnny Robinson and waived running back James Williams. :cool:

Oldcolt
08-22-2019, 01:45 PM

I know is seems crazy to keep 5 tight ends but we may wish we did exactly that in a year or so. I think Ebron/Travis's skill set crosses over with our wide receivers skill set. If you look at rb/wr/te as just weapons for the qb to use, other than being what is always been done, why not keep the best 14-15 players period. Let the coaching staff be innovative. Whatever we do it is great that we sweat those decisions now. So much better than scouring the waiver wire for fool's gold.

Having said that I think we end up keeping Travis (his skill set is harder to replicate and seems more of a fit in today's NFL) and hope Hentges makes it to the practice squad

JAFF
08-22-2019, 04:59 PM
https://www.colts.com/news/ross-travis-hale-hentges-tight-end-race

Both have real promise. Hopefully, Ballard will be able to trade one for a future draft pick rather than just cutting one.

Chromeburn
08-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Both have real promise. Hopefully, Ballard will be able to trade one for a future draft pick rather than just cutting one.

I don't know what they will do. We have been running 11 package (3 wrs) a lot this preseason. About 88% of the time apparently. I don't know if that is an indication of what we will do during the season or not.

CanuckColt
08-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Having said that I think we end up keeping Travis (his skill set is harder to replicate and seems more of a fit in today's NFL) and hope Hentges makes it to the practice squad

Yep, most likely move.
Hentges probably makes it to the PS easily.

JAFF
08-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Yep, most likely move.
Hentges probably makes it to the PS easily.

He wont be there long. He blocks well (alabama, lots of film) and hes a sneaky receiver, makes plays. Everybody is looking for TEs just like this kid.

Discflinger
08-24-2019, 01:17 AM
I love that there will more than likely be so many tough calls, but this might be the most difficult. I say give the rookie from Bama a shot. He's already less of an injury risk.

Chromeburn
08-24-2019, 11:02 AM

I saw this blurb I think on 1070. Basically they see it as two different positions. So do they want a receiving streatch the field TE backup or a blocking short range catcher TE backup.

One of the definite position battles remaining is the 4th tight end spot between Ross Travis and Hale Hentges. It could very well come down to what the Colts want: more of the receiver/higher ceiling guy in Travis, or the blocker/more consistent guy in Hentges. Frank Reich acknowledged that battle on Tuesday: “We look at it as two different positions, not completely, but pretty much,” Reich said. “Obviously with Ross being in the mold of Ebron, and Hale being in the mold of Jack and the roles that play within our offense. That’s the mix Chris (Ballard) and I talk about a lot when it comes down to roster spots and how all that plays out. They both look good.” Reich also noted that some of those decisions gets made on what “we are planning on doing offensively, and what we are planning on emphasizing.” Is that more of the run game in 2019? This will be a fun battle to watch over the last two weeks of the preseason.

Hate to let a good player go, especially with all the injuries now a days.

Oldcolt
08-24-2019, 11:43 AM
If everyone is health I just don't see how Hentges gets on the field for any kind of impactful play. He will not play before Doyal. If we need an extra blocker Cox gets the first call. A mismatch between Hentges and a linebacker gets you 10-15 yards, same mismatch with Travis and your off to the races. Blocking/short yard tight ends are easier to find then guys that can stretch the field. It's a tough call but unless something changes I still think it's Travis. It at least gives me something to watch today. Like everyone has said, a great problem to finally have.

JAFF
08-24-2019, 03:40 PM
You tanking for Tua ? :cool:

Shit, you figured it out

JAFF
08-24-2019, 03:42 PM
If everyone is health I just don't see how Hentges gets on the field for any kind of impactful play. He will not play before Doyal. If we need an extra blocker Cox gets the first call. A mismatch between Hentges and a linebacker gets you 10-15 yards, same mismatch with Travis and your off to the races. Blocking/short yard tight ends are easier to find then guys that can stretch the field. It's a tough call but unless something changes I still think it's Travis. It at least gives me something to watch today. Like everyone has said, a great problem to finally have.

Some of those guys have spent time on the DL.

Oldcolt
08-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Some of those guys have spent time on the DL.

Which is why I think Hentges is perfect for the practice squad. Just not sure if he clears waivers.

GoBigBlue88
08-24-2019, 06:44 PM

I see it as: Doyle is still an injury question mark. You need Doyle insurance. Ebron is basically a wide receiver. There is ample insurance there already IMO.

ukcolt
08-27-2019, 12:04 PM
My guess at the initial 53 man roster cut down

Offense (24)
QB's (3)
Brissett, Walker, Kelly (will then be suspended)
- I don't feel comfortable with Walker being our primary backup, but i guess for 2 games, we will have to suck it and see and hope that Brissett does not go down injured in any way.
RB's (4)
Mack, Hines, Wilkins, West - Happy with this group, feel as if Williams could have made the team if not for injury, Wilkins could end up on IR as well. But Mack, Hines and West are good enough for me on game day anyway.

TE's (4)
Doyle, Ebron, Cox, Hentges - Cutting Travis is not great, to me he is easily one of the top 53 guys, but we don't need 5 TE's and he hasn't been truly outstanding this preseason.

WR's (5)
Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Rogers, Pascal (will take Chad Kelly's spot) - Pascal, Hogan, Johnson, Hart and even possibly Dulin, could all potentially pop onto the roster throughout the course of the season.

OL (8)
Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Smith, Haeg, Clark, Andrews - I decided to drop Boehm, but he could easily make the roster instead of Andrews. Clark i think could lose his spot once Garcia completes his league suspension.

Defense (26)
DE (5)
Houston, Sheard, Turay, Muhammad, Banogu - Phillips and Gwacham have both played well this preseason and could make the roster if Sheard is placed on IR. The fact that we will be cutting a draft pick in Gerris Green, just shows how far this team has come along in just a couple of seasons under Ballard.

DT (5)
Autry, Hunt, Lewis, Stewart, Ward - Caraun Reid has been good, but we can't keep 13 guys on the DLine.

LB's (6)
Leonard, Walker, Adams, Okereke, Franklin, Speed - Thomas and Moore will be gone, think this is a relatively straight forward selection, only question could be is 6 one too many guys?

CB's (6)
Desir, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Hairston, Milton - Collins, appears to have been in a position to make a play almost all of the time, both in games and training camp, but is constantly not quite able to prevent the play and has often been burnt on the big play so he isn't likely to make the final roster. Tell, will hopefully make it through to the practice squad.

S's (4)
Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Odum - Miligan appears to have played well, but i don't see him beating out the top 4 guys.

Special Teams (3)

Biggest take from this to me is that we will have 4 draft picks that will fail to make the roster, Tell (5th), Green (6th), Barton (7th) and Patterson (7th)

Racehorse
08-28-2019, 05:16 PM
My guess at the initial 53 man roster cut down

Offense (24)
QB's (3)
Brissett, Walker, Kelly (will then be suspended)
- I don't feel comfortable with Walker being our primary backup, but i guess for 2 games, we will have to suck it and see and hope that Brissett does not go down injured in any way.
RB's (4)
Mack, Hines, Wilkins, West - Happy with this group, feel as if Williams could have made the team if not for injury, Wilkins could end up on IR as well. But Mack, Hines and West are good enough for me on game day anyway.

TE's (4)
Doyle, Ebron, Cox, Hentges - Cutting Travis is not great, to me he is easily one of the top 53 guys, but we don't need 5 TE's and he hasn't been truly outstanding this preseason.

WR's (5)
Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Rogers, Pascal (will take Chad Kelly's spot) - Pascal, Hogan, Johnson, Hart and even possibly Dulin, could all potentially pop onto the roster throughout the course of the season.

OL (8)
Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Smith, Haeg, Clark, Andrews - I decided to drop Boehm, but he could easily make the roster instead of Andrews. Clark i think could lose his spot once Garcia completes his league suspension.

Defense (26)
DE (5)
Houston, Sheard, Turay, Muhammad, Banogu - Phillips and Gwacham have both played well this preseason and could make the roster if Sheard is placed on IR. The fact that we will be cutting a draft pick in Gerris Green, just shows how far this team has come along in just a couple of seasons under Ballard.

DT (5)
Autry, Hunt, Lewis, Stewart, Ward - Caraun Reid has been good, but we can't keep 13 guys on the DLine.

LB's (6)
Leonard, Walker, Adams, Okereke, Franklin, Speed - Thomas and Moore will be gone, think this is a relatively straight forward selection, only question could be is 6 one too many guys?

CB's (6)
Desir, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Hairston, Milton - Collins, appears to have been in a position to make a play almost all of the time, both in games and training camp, but is constantly not quite able to prevent the play and has often been burnt on the big play so he isn't likely to make the final roster. Tell, will hopefully make it through to the practice squad.

S's (4)
Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Odum - Miligan appears to have played well, but i don't see him beating out the top 4 guys.

Special Teams (3)

Biggest take from this to me is that we will have 4 draft picks that will fail to make the roster, Tell (5th), Green (6th), Barton (7th) and Patterson (7th)
Hairston was traded, so now it is likely to be just 3.

ukcolt
08-28-2019, 05:40 PM
Straight fight betweenTell and Collins, and I am guessing that Collins wins, although i would rather keep Tell. Taylor has played fairly well in preseason but he is probably headed to the practice squad.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-28-2019, 05:50 PM

I'd put an asterisk next to Patterson, too. He tore his ACL early in preseason activities and was subsequently IR'ed. He will be back for another try when healthy.

VeveJones007
08-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Straight fight betweenTell and Collins, and I am guessing that Collins wins, although i would rather keep Tell. Taylor has played fairly well in preseason but he is probably headed to the practice squad.

Yeah, my money is on Collins. Easier to stash Tell on the PS.