PDA

View Full Version : Luck has a set back

JAFF
07-30-2019, 01:42 PM
http://https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/07/30/colts-andrew-luck-misses-practice-due-calf/1865787001/

And news on Shear

http://https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/07/28/indianapolis-colts-jabaal-sheard-parris-campbell-rock-ya-sin-frank-reich-ben-banogu-darius-leonard/1813672001/

Colt Classic
07-30-2019, 05:32 PM
No way! Shocked, I say. He'll return by week 4 at least.

JAFF
07-30-2019, 08:24 PM
No way! Shocked, I say. He'll return by week 4 at least.

Didnt he miss 4 games last year?

DrSpaceman
07-31-2019, 04:50 PM
Didnt he miss 4 games last year?

No he did not. Started every game

In fact he has started 15 or 16 games in 5 of the 7 years he has been in the league.

he played 7 games the year he lacerated his spleen in 2015 and missed all of 2017. Otherwise he has started basically every game each year.

he missed the Steelers game in 2016, I don't recall why. The unforgettable Scott Tolzien filled in for him. That is the only game he has missed in the other years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LuckAn00.htm

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
07-31-2019, 06:05 PM
he missed the Steelers game in 2016, I don't recall why. The unforgettable Scott Tolzien filled in for him.

Luck suffered a concussion in the prior week's win vs. Tennessee. He was in concussion protocol during a short prep week - the Colts played the Steelers on Thursday night on Thanksgiving.

YDFL Commish
07-31-2019, 06:14 PM
Luck suffered a concussion in the prior week's win vs. Tennessee. He was in concussion protocol during a short prep week - the Colts played the Steelers on Thursday night on Thanksgiving.

Isn't Tolzien another Grigson pickup who is no longer in the NFL?

Hoopsdoc
08-01-2019, 04:46 PM
I’m very uneasy about this situation. He suffered this in April and it hasn’t healed yet? Who’s to say it will heal in another 4 weeks?

I’m resigned to the fact that he’s gonna miss some regular season time, potentially a lot.

DrSpaceman
08-01-2019, 06:00 PM
I don't think he will miss any time

My feeling is this is a situation where if it was a regular season game he'd be playing, but since its not and none of these games or work outs are critical for him, they are giving it as much time as he needs.

If he misses the 3rd preseason game, we should be worried. I don't that happens.

Hoopsdoc
08-01-2019, 06:46 PM
I don't think he will miss any time

My feeling is this is a situation where if it was a regular season game he'd be playing, but since its not and none of these games or work outs are critical for him, they are giving it as much time as he needs.

If he misses the 3rd preseason game, we should be worried. I don't that happens.

This was my first impression. It’s gotten a lot more ominous lately, though.

Combine the fact that it happened in April and is still no better with Andrews recent cryptic comments about mental “scars” from 2017, and there’s plenty there to be concerned about.

I’m pretty sure at this point, he’s not playing at all in the preseason.

YDFL Commish
08-01-2019, 08:28 PM
I’m very uneasy about this situation. He suffered this in April and it hasn’t healed yet? Who’s to say it will heal in another 4 weeks?

I’m resigned to the fact that he’s gonna miss some regular season time, potentially a lot.

Possibly re-injured during procreation activities?

DrSpaceman
08-01-2019, 11:45 PM
We will see, but I am not getting upset over him missing what would probably be one series in a preseason game. Preseason game one is low reward, high risk situation for any veteran QB.

Even if he wasn't injured I wouldn't care much if he played this upcoming game

Preseason Game 3, if he doesn't play or is limited there I will start worrying

Hoopsdoc
08-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Possibly re-injured during procreation activities?

Calf strain seems like an odd injury to suffer during copulation. Maybe they were getting creative. :D

CanuckColt
08-02-2019, 08:45 PM
CBS Sports article 'Inside Colts Camp' says the Colts are now targeting a Week 1 return for Andrew and that we should not expect to see him in preseason.

Colt Classic
08-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Is he able to do any work with all of the new targets?!

IndyNorm
08-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Not good at all :mad: Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to have 2017 written all over it. At the very least the injury was probably much more than just a calf strain.

Hoopsdoc
08-03-2019, 09:42 AM
CBS Sports article 'Inside Colts Camp' says the Colts are now targeting a Week 1 return for Andrew and that we should not expect to see him in preseason.

I knew it. I’ll be surprised if he plays week 1 at this point.

Even if he does, he’ll be rusty and the early schedule is brutal.

It’s setting up to be a lonnnnng season.

Chromeburn
08-03-2019, 10:21 AM
3 and a half months for a calf strain. He said when he makes sharp turns or jumps it feels like it is straining and is pushing too hard.

indycolts2
08-03-2019, 07:58 PM
CBS Sports article 'Inside Colts Camp' says the Colts are now targeting a Week 1 return for Andrew and that we should not expect to see him in preseason.Yeah, remember the speculation about week 1 in 2017 all too well.

smitty46953
08-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Could our QB be a head case? :eek:

Luck recently said … “I still have some emotional scars from that (shoulder injury) and that lives with me still, but I’m trying to use it in a positive way certainly for myself.”

Didn't Irsay say last year

“It’s been said before, all sports is played on a 4-inch field between your ears. It’s really important we continue to help Andrew emotionally, mentally, get his confidence and his endorsement, deep down his rubber stamp (in) his heart of hearts because in the end, that carries the biggest weight.”

and later from TV booth

“…You have to be able to deal with this, not only physically but mentally,” Irsay said. “I have no doubt that Andrew, the person that he is, he’s going to come out of this thing not just how he was but a better quarterback. ‘When’ is the question. That timetable is more on the football gods and Andrew’s gut feeling on how he’s feeling.”

:cool: Could it be more mental than physical/ Afraid he will hurt himself again?

ChoppedWood
08-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Could our QB be a head case? :eek:

Luck recently said … “I still have some emotional scars from that (shoulder injury) and that lives with me still, but I’m trying to use it in a positive way certainly for myself.”

Didn't Irsay say last year

“It’s been said before, all sports is played on a 4-inch field between your ears. It’s really important we continue to help Andrew emotionally, mentally, get his confidence and his endorsement, deep down his rubber stamp (in) his heart of hearts because in the end, that carries the biggest weight.”

and later from TV booth

“…You have to be able to deal with this, not only physically but mentally,” Irsay said. “I have no doubt that Andrew, the person that he is, he’s going to come out of this thing not just how he was but a better quarterback. ‘When’ is the question. That timetable is more on the football gods and Andrew’s gut feeling on how he’s feeling.”

:cool: Could it be more mental than physical/ Afraid he will hurt himself again?

One of the earlier quotes about the situation had him admitting there had been some talk of minor surgery but after evaluations they didn't think it was necessary. Can't help but to think we're now heading toward something early this week along the lines of:

Tuesday: "Andrew's going to get another opinion on this thing simply because the pain shouldn't be there now and it is"

Friday: "Andrew is going to have a minor procedure on that leg this weekend, we'll know more on any time he will miss after that"

Monday on ESPN alert: "Andrew Luck to miss at least the first 4 regular season games after surgery to repair a tear in his calf dating to April of this year"

Just has that ominous feel unfortunately...

Hoopsdoc
08-04-2019, 04:20 PM
One of the earlier quotes about the situation had him admitting there had been some talk of minor surgery but after evaluations they didn't think it was necessary. Can't help but to think we're now heading toward something early this week along the lines of:

Tuesday: "Andrew's going to get another opinion on this thing simply because the pain shouldn't be there now and it is"

Friday: "Andrew is going to have a minor procedure on that leg this weekend, we'll know more on any time he will miss after that"

Monday on ESPN alert: "Andrew Luck to miss at least the first 4 regular season games after surgery to repair a tear in his calf dating to April of this year"

Just has that ominous feel unfortunately...
Wednesday on ESPN alert: “Andrew Luck’s leg amputated at the knee, Colts place him on IR, sign Curtis Painter”

ChoppedWood
08-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Wednesday on ESPN alert: “Andrew Luck’s leg amputated at the knee, Colts place him on IR, sign Curtis Painter”

It's the Colts, it will have to also include something along the lines of:
"despite the leg amputation, the organization feels confident he will be back by the playoffs"

ChoppedWood
08-06-2019, 12:23 PM
on DD he just reported:
- Luck has high ankle sprain not associated with football but another snow boarding accident.
- Will miss a minimum of 3 games.

This is apparently being reported by some guy named Daniel Wilson. I've searched around, I cannot find this guy associated with any local sports programming or national for that matter so take it for what it is... hopefully just some bullshit...

That being said, if this turns out to be true like the shoulder thing...

Hoopsdoc
08-06-2019, 08:33 PM
on DD he just reported:
- Luck has high ankle sprain not associated with football but another snow boarding accident.

This is apparently being reported by some guy named Daniel Wilson. I've searched around, I cannot find this guy associated with any local sports programming or national for that matter so take it for what it is... hopefully just some bullshit...

Wouldn’t surprise me at this point.

Maniac
08-07-2019, 03:51 AM
on DD he just reported:

If he got injured further AGAIN from snowboarding, then the team better ban him from ever doing that again.

Chromeburn
08-07-2019, 09:56 AM
on DD he just reported:

I heard his leg fell off. They actually called Pagano and he came back. He is currently making Luck a new leg out of wood.

Oldcolt
08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
This has got me a little worried now. A level 3 calf strain can take up to months to completely heal, so there is that. I'm worried, obviously, because of how his last injury played out. The silver lining is A) we get to showcase Brissett and B) I think we have a good enough roster to survive a few games without Luck

Butter
08-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Showcasing Brisset for what? Him getting a bigger FA contract next season, I guess that might improve the comp pick they might get.

JAFF
08-07-2019, 08:19 PM
I heard he was in the same cryotherapy bath with Antionio Brown

Oldcolt
08-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Showcasing Brisset for what? Him getting a bigger FA contract next season, I guess that might improve the comp pick they might get.

My thought was that if Brisset plays well we might get the chance to move him in the season for a pick. Agreed its a pretty damn dull silver lining.

Hoopsdoc
08-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Of course, the flip side to that is, they showcase Brisket who plays with a good OLine, unlike 2017, and he blows.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Of course, the flip side to that is, they showcase Brisket who plays with a good OLine, unlike 2017, and he blows.

Well - besides the much better O-Line, he will be playing under a competent coaching staff. If something is not working, I think Reich and Sirianni will make some adjustments and try to game plan to Brissett's strengths. Instead of sitting back and saying - "we do what we do - just need to keep chopping wood."

JAFF
08-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Well - besides the much better O-Line, he will be playing under a competent coaching staff. If something is not working, I think Reich and Sirianni will make some adjustments and try to game plan to Brissett's strengths. Instead of sitting back and saying - "we do what we do - just need to keep chopping wood."

No one is game planning for the preseason.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-08-2019, 05:14 PM
No one is game planning for the preseason.

I wasn't talking about the preseason.

JAFF
08-08-2019, 06:12 PM
I wasn't talking about the preseason.

Sorry. With the game tonight, I wasn't looking 5 weeks from now

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
08-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Sorry. With the game tonight, I wasn't looking 5 weeks from now

No problem. Only 1 more month until Sept 8 vs the Chargers!! :cool:

Butter
08-08-2019, 07:36 PM
My thought was that if Brisset plays well we might get the chance to move him in the season for a pick. Agreed its a pretty damn dull silver lining.

With Luck hobbling into the season I can't see any way they consider trading him.

1965southpaw
08-09-2019, 08:55 AM
I heard Dr House spent a week with Jacoby in Indy a couple of weeks ago.......since he's helped Andrew and Drew Bree's so much, maybe that bodes well for improved accuracy from Brisset. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might say that they are making that investment cause they know they may need to ride him into the regular season.

smitty46953
08-09-2019, 09:19 AM
I heard Dr House spent a week with Jacoby in Indy a couple of weeks ago....

Did he bring 13 with him ? :cool:

ChoppedWood
08-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Just got an alert, out at least the next 3 PRACTICES... Hmmmm wonder if that's what the report into DD earlier this week was supposed to be...

In any regard, either playing it very very very conservatively (word is they are taking a really passive approach with even a slight injury in camp this year) and he would be fine if we played game 1 Sunday, or dude has a major injury and we're going to need to see Jacoby carry for a while...

VeveJones007
08-09-2019, 05:47 PM
I’m firmly in the camp that Luck could’ve played yesterday. This is just him taking an abundance of caution because preseason really doesn’t matter.

Hoopsdoc
08-13-2019, 09:41 AM
This was my first impression. It’s gotten a lot more ominous lately, though.

Combine the fact that it happened in April and is still no better with Andrews recent cryptic comments about mental “scars” from 2017, and there’s plenty there to be concerned about.

I’m pretty sure at this point, he’s not playing at all in the preseason.

Aaaaand it just keeps getting better. Now he’s dealing with a “small little bone” issue in his foot.

Uhhh, say what? I thought it was a calf strain? Are both his calf and his foot injured?

This is exactly like 2017. It’s more serious than they would have us believe.

At this point, I expect to hear about Luck undergoing surgery any day now.

Pez
08-13-2019, 10:02 AM
All we have is a vague comment from Irsay about it, who knows how high he was when he said it.

While I'm not a gynecologist, there's not really any 'bone issues' no matter how "little, tiny" they are that can heal in 3 weeks.

GoBigBlue88
08-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Just feels like this organization goes around the block and down the street to do the least optimal thing when it comes to injuries...

dwilli57
08-13-2019, 10:08 AM
I'm getting real close to the Anti-Andrew Luck camp. This is bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

VeveJones007
08-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Just feels like this organization goes around the block and down the street to do the least optimal thing when it comes to injuries...

It's probably something like an ankle spur. That's not something you can place a firm timeline on the recovery, but it's also something that you can play through. I also don't think it's fair to pin this on the Colts--Luck drives these conversations for the most part.

As I said before, I think they're just being really cautious, taking the extra time to try and alleviate as much of the discomfort as they can before the season starts. He started training camp, it flared up, and now they're treating it to minimize the impact on the season. That's exactly what they should do under the circumstances.

VeveJones007
08-13-2019, 12:32 PM
The guy played a full season with a torn labrum and people think he won't play Week 1 with discomfort in his ankle?

ChoppedWood
08-13-2019, 12:45 PM
On DD it was just said that his issue is this:
https://www.healthline.com/health/myositis-ossificans#diagnosis

Basically an injury, blood pools, and essentially extra bone begins to grow where it shouldn't be.

Now, if this is the case, in the foot, not a doctor but I would think this is a surgery case and if so, he's missing some games. Ironically they also said that as of yesterday he was not in a boot... WTF???

If this ends up being the case, and it took 4+ months for these people to figure this out and he has to have surgery now, a couple weeks before the season. Every single pathetic SOB on that medical / training staff should be shit canned. Immediately go to the local Walgreens e-Med clinic, hire those folks as an immediate upgrade of the position.

If it turns out this too stems from a snowboarding incident, then cut him too... derailing a chance at a title this season with that shit.

VeveJones007
08-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Basically an injury, blood pools, and essentially extra bone begins to grow where it shouldn't be.

Now, if this is the case, in the foot, not a doctor but I would think this is a surgery case and if so, he's missing some games. Ironically they also said that as of yesterday he was not in a boot... WTF???

If this ends up being the case, and it took 4+ months for these people to figure this out and he has to have surgery now, a couple weeks before the season. Every single pathetic SOB on that medical / training staff should be shit canned. Immediately go to the local Walgreens e-Med clinic, hire those folks as an immediate upgrade of the position.

If it turns out this too stems from a snowboarding incident, then cut him too... derailing a chance at a title this season with that shit.

That's the worst possible scenario and it isn't supported by all of the facts. The part of your post in bold should have set off your BS detector.

It's most likely a simpler injury like an ankle spur.

Racehorse
08-13-2019, 01:13 PM

I had a HS track kid with this last season. It took a couple of months for her to get healed up, but then was herself after that. I'm not too worried.

VeveJones007
08-13-2019, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing he's back out there next week (light workload). They don't want him out there against live fire (Cleveland), so might as well take one extra week of precaution.

GoBigBlue88
08-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Oh well if Dan DAKICH said it!!!

njcoltfan
08-13-2019, 02:47 PM

The one thing the Colts are masters at is misinformation and bullshit!! I am beginning to think that Luck is going to miss significant time, I hope I’m wrong.

DrSpaceman
08-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Still not worried

he is playing week one.

Stop overreacting. Cut him? Are you serious? That is idiotic.

JAFF
08-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Because that sure would show him who's boss. He would be unemployed for...15 seconds. And the cap hit would kill the Colts. And this season, and until they found another guy who can really play QB at a high level.

ChoppedWood
08-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Oh well if Dan DAKICH said it!!!

As I posted last week, he got a report from some "reporter", I think it was Daniel Wilson was the name, claiming it wasn't the calf and that he was out for at least the 1st three weeks with an ankle tied to snow boarding (so far none of that seems to be confirmed...). Could have been any radio / tv guy that said it over the air, just happened to be DD and it was allegedly him just reporting what this other guy was reporting.

Today he was saying it's this Mayo whatever issue, apparently supposed to be the same thing Brock and Diem had while here. Him making up crap, him reporting crap, don't know, just posted what was said.

In terms of cutting him, I love the dude, think he is at the very top of the QB ranks, but still yet to see a pass completed that was thrown from the training table. I'm not saying this is the cause, have no idea, but there was a lot of smoke around the shoulder for a year or so before it came out that he hurt it snow boarding... only point there is, to be the best, to win titles, you gotta be on the field and if you have a repeated history of being hurt off the field and that hurts the team- what the hell good are you at that point?

Maniac
08-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Yeah, cut him, because we'll REALLY have a chance at a championship without him. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.

ChoppedWood
08-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Yeah, cut him, because we'll REALLY have a chance at a championship without him. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.

So if he doesn't play we have no chance of winning it all. Yeah I think I agree with that, and I actually like JB's game.

Look man, if it turns out he stepped wrong, got stepped on, whatever in OTA's in April, so be it, if he has to miss he has to miss. If he F'd it up doing the same shit as before that cost the team a full season without him- dude this is the once in a generation (well 2nd consecutive for us)- you can't be losing games, and as loaded as we appear to be, a potential SB season, to a snowy mountain is all I am getting at. That's just dumb, and this guy is supposed to be Einstein level smart...

Time will tell. With any luck (no pun intended) it turns out like Race's example and in a couple weeks this is all behind him...

JAFF
08-13-2019, 07:52 PM
If the injury is what Space Jim Irsay was talking about, it's a case of shit happens. He could have had that happen missing a step on the stairs

Hoopsdoc
08-13-2019, 08:19 PM
All we have is a vague comment from Irsay about it, who knows how high he was when he said it.

While I'm not a gynecologist, there's not really any 'bone issues' no matter how "little, tiny" they are that can heal in 3 weeks.

It was the comment itself that makes me wonder. “I have no doubt that Andrew will GET THROUGH this”. Not heal from this, “get through this”.

It’s a lot like the “space between the ears” comment he made 2 years ago.

I feel like there is more going on here than what we know. And it’s about more than a strained calf.

Oldcolt
08-13-2019, 08:29 PM
I'm getting a shitty feeling about this.

ChoppedWood
08-13-2019, 08:33 PM
on DD he just reported:

Uhhhhh folks, looks like whoever this is, and it could very well be some BS name created by DD to create some kind of cover for who he is getting info from.... well whatever the case it is source wise, looks like Ballard just confirmed the first part of this... Still 2 more pieces to wait and see how they pan out but if both end up being correct- well Fuck Our Season!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27382204/colts-gm-says-luck-now-high-ankle-problem

Colts GM says Luck now has high-ankle problem
8:07 PM ET
Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

Indianapolis Colts general manager Chris Ballard said quarterback Andrew Luck's calf strain has become a high-ankle issue.

Ballard isn't ready to say what Luck's status will be for the Week 1 game at the Chargers.

Hey GBB---- well if Chris Ballard says it it must be true!!!!

YDFL Commish
08-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Well fuck, is it a calf, a foot, a bone, an ankle, a strain? Can we get one goddamn common answer out of this team and Luck?

Why the fuck are they still not all on the same page?

GoBigBlue88
08-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Uhhhhh folks, looks like whoever this is, and it could very well be some BS name created by DD to create some kind of cover for who he is getting info from.... well whatever the case it is source wise, looks like Ballard just confirmed the first part of this... Still 2 more pieces to wait and see how they pan out but if both end up being correct- well Fuck Our Season!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27382204/colts-gm-says-luck-now-high-ankle-problem

Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

Indianapolis Colts general manager Chris Ballard said quarterback Andrew Luck's calf strain has become a high-ankle issue.

Ballard isn't ready to say what Luck's status will be for the Week 1 game at the Chargers.

Wait, how did anything confirm Luck had another snowboarding accident lol? You picked the wrong hash mark to showboat on, dude.

ChoppedWood
08-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Wait, how did anything confirm Luck had another snowboarding accident lol? You picked the wrong hash mark to showboat on, dude.

Never said shit about proving it was snowboarding, nope, don't play that one GBB. Just shoving it back at you with your snide ass bullshit about how it must be true if DD says so. Now we've got the GM of the team saying it's a high ankle, which is exactly what was claimed on the show last week, whether it was DD with a fake reporter, or some snoop, what we have is confirmation from the main man that that part of it turned out true.

This aint about the source, this is about yet another F'd up incident of spun injury bullshit from this squad- which has gone on for over a decade. Someone on the inside appears to be leaking the truth...

Colt Classic
08-13-2019, 09:47 PM
I could smell this bs weeks ago. The local media knew something was up, but in any Colts-related discussion over the past month, they'd tip-toe around and call the whole thing a "situation" or "this kind of thing" rather than saying anything about it being an actual injury or anything that would create an air of negativity or cast doubt on the season.

Are you all still confident he could play if the game were tomorrow?!

apballin
08-13-2019, 11:00 PM
Fuck it next man up

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2019, 05:42 AM

Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

Well, there it is. Remember, we’ve gone from “we’re just being extra cautious”, to not being able to confirm his status for week one. All in the space of about a week.

There is no way he’s playing week one. This has obviously been serious all along, it’s just a Colts tradition to completely botch these situations in the dumbest way possible.

Now, I wait for rumors of an upcoming surgery to start floating, the team will deny it for a week or so before finally admitting it.

Our season is circling the drain right now.

apballin
08-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Well, there it is. Remember, we’ve gone from “we’re just being extra cautious”, to not being able to confirm his status for week one. All in the space of about a week.

There is no way he’s playing week one. This has obviously been serious all along, it’s just a Colts tradition to completely botch these situations in the dumbest way possible.

Now, I wait for rumors of an upcoming surgery to start floating, the team will deny it for a week or so before finally admitting it.

This team can win without Luck

njcoltfan
08-14-2019, 06:30 AM

Maybe, but playoffs, nope !!

Hoopsdoc
08-14-2019, 07:04 AM

This is an 8-8 team at best without Luck.

Colt Classic
08-14-2019, 07:11 AM

They're already setting the table for him to miss multiple regular season games with the local TV sports shows playing a Ballard clip talking about how great Jacoby is and how teams win games all of the time without their starting QB. At least now they're admitting he's going to miss the entire preseason! By week 3 of the regular season they'll be able to admit he's likely to miss a few games.

ChoppedWood
08-14-2019, 08:09 AM
They're already setting the table for him to miss multiple regular season games with the local TV sports shows playing a Ballard clip talking about how great Jacoby is and how teams win games all of the time without their starting QB. At least now they're admitting he's going to miss the entire preseason! By week 3 of the regular season they'll be able to admit he's likely to miss a few games.

That's what I am waiting for now, when do they conceded regular season games going to be missed. If that announcement comes as "at least 3 games", then I am going to side with this "Daniel Wilson" that it wasn't football and it was snow boarding. That would be two of the three things "he" reported coming to fruition- at that point with the organization confirming those things, gotta believe the other is true as well- and if so, man that is going to piss me off! This team is primed to do huge damage with him at the wheel this year, without him for 3-5 games, we're at best a WC team and we are NOT getting HFA and without that, we aren't doing SHIT other than wasting another year of this faux tiger's prime.

Chromeburn
08-14-2019, 08:21 AM
I don’t think it’s that bad. They just don’t want to expose him to the Browns pass rush. Assuming they’re not wearing the red jersey.

I think Luck will be out there week one, he is just being overly cautious. I think this is starting to suffer from too much media speculation and over saturation.

ChoppedWood
08-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Jeff Swartz was just on CC, they played the audio from Ballard yesterday. It sounds ominous- he specifically says "that needs to be addressed". This article says surgery is not believed necessary- we'll see if that holds given Ballard's statement of the thing that needs to be "addressed".

Regardless, this sounds like a 4 month long hatchet job on the actual diagnosis. Had to go to a specialist recently to get this diagnosis- are you F'ing kidding me???? 4 MONTHS go by.... 4 F'ing months! Disgusting! Fire the entire training staff, all of them NOW!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041194/article/colts-gm-andrew-lucks-calf-injury-is-highankle-issue

Pez
08-14-2019, 09:03 AM
I don’t think it’s that bad. They just don’t want to expose him to the Browns pass rush. Assuming they’re not wearing the red jersey.

I think Luck will be out there week one, he is just being overly cautious. I think this is starting to suffer from too much media speculation and over saturation.

I am going to be optimistic with you here. It really depends on when the injury occurred. Piece a couple things together and Luck spilled the beans about two weeks ago when he said on July 31:

“I say lower leg because I feel pain in my ankle area and calf-strain,” Luc told reporters Tuesday. “I guess I’ll get a little specific – I’ve had images, X-rays and everything. My Achilles is not an extra risk. There is no tear or swelling or anything that’s indicated. So, it’s a calf-strain and we’re on our feet a lot.”

Key here is that pain in the ankle area AND calf-strain, as if two separate issues. Also, he mentions xrays and images separately. If were talking about a soft tissue injury like a calf strains, an xray would privde no insight into such. If you are getting an xray, there is a bone injury or they are looking for a bone injury.

Bone injuries take between 6-8 weeks to heal, as long as they are healing and don't need to be re-injured through surgery. If he doesnt require surgery, it's been healing for at least 2 weeks and he will be back around week 2-3. If he does require surgery, he will miss at least half the season.

smitty46953
08-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Will Carroll explains "Myositis Ossificans"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV5G_vCY1rA

:cool:

DrSpaceman
08-14-2019, 09:49 AM
Well I still am not going to overreact about this.

If he misses games to start the season, so be it. Get him healthy for later in the year.

Its hard to play armchair doctor and know what has happened, and especially with limited info. Just hope now that there seems to be a reason for him not improving they can treat it and get him better

If there is a chance he is not ready for the season though they need to start considering if Brissett or Kelly is the better one to be the starter week one. I am sure they prefer Brissett, he has been with the team, started before and is the "back up". But he looked awfully bad last week.

Will be interested to see how they compare in coming weeks in preseason
. And really just get walker off the damn field now, what a waste of roster space and game time.

At least now we have a reason to be interested in the preseason.

I am not taking the "Sky is falling and all is lost!!" for the year mentality though even if Luck is not ready week one.

Chromeburn
08-14-2019, 11:38 AM
I am going to be optimistic with you here. It really depends on when the injury occurred. Piece a couple things together and Luck spilled the beans about two weeks ago when he said on July 31:

“I say lower leg because I feel pain in my ankle area and calf-strain,” Luc told reporters Tuesday. “I guess I’ll get a little specific – I’ve had images, X-rays and everything. My Achilles is not an extra risk. There is no tear or swelling or anything that’s indicated. So, it’s a calf-strain and we’re on our feet a lot.”

Key here is that pain in the ankle area AND calf-strain, as if two separate issues. Also, he mentions xrays and images separately. If were talking about a soft tissue injury like a calf strains, an xray would privde no insight into such. If you are getting an xray, there is a bone injury or they are looking for a bone injury.

Bone injuries take between 6-8 weeks to heal, as long as they are healing and don't need to be re-injured through surgery. If he doesnt require surgery, it's been healing for at least 2 weeks and he will be back around week 2-3. If he does require surgery, he will miss at least half the season.

Maybe they are looking for a bone spur, or maybe they are exploratory. I do know that doctors will pile on tests in order to figure something out. Partly because we live in a litigious society and they don't want to expose themselves to negligence. Luck has said he has played with way worse. I think the Colts want to get out of camp with as few injuries as possible and I think Luck cares more about week 1 than camp reps. I guess we will see, but I do think with the lack of other news this fills the vacuum, and that leads to conjecture and conspiracy theories.

Hopefully this isn't the case, I guess we will see.

HoosierinFL
08-14-2019, 12:03 PM
So now they are no longer talking about ossification, it doesn't seem, but some sort of high ankle issue - I presume that can only mean some sort of sprain of one of the anterior ligaments...?
But there's also talk of it being a form of cumulative trauma disorder, which seems inconsistent with a mere ligament sprain.
From Ballard last night:
"From the start, he’s been dealing with a calf injury, all in March and through camp. He was dealing with a calf, and then a little area below his calf, which Andrew kind of referred to as a lower leg (two weeks ago), where he was feeling some pain, kind of in the ankle area. The injury wasn’t getting better. He hasn’t been practicing. So in the course of dealing with this calf injury, it appears now we’ve got an ankle issue. Because the injury wasn’t getting better, we wanted to explore the area around the lower leg, that Mr. Irsay was referring to as the bone. It’s called the os trigonum. We thought that might have something to do with it. But after last night, after Mr. Irsay spoke, that doesn’t appear to be the issue, so we shifted our focus to another area. We tested his ankle yesterday (Monday) with a scan. He went and saw a specialist. And it led us to an area on the front of the ankle that needs to be addressed. It’s kind of high ankle-ish. And that’s potentially referring to the posterior pain he’s getting in the posterior ankle, up by the calf and that’s why it’s happening. We’ve been treating the calf all along and even treating the lower part of this and then getting the test done on the os trigonum, to make sure that wasn’t the issue, which we don’t think it is right now, led us to the front of the ankle.”

It's not clear whether Ballard is speaking out his ass when discussing the cumulative aspect or whether this is something one of the doctors might have suggested:
“I think it’s a cumulative thing through the years. Andrew has had some ankle issues, with his left one, for a while. I think it’s just kind of a cumulative thing. I think (the previous ankle issues) exasperated the cumulative effect.”

Oldcolt
08-14-2019, 12:28 PM
At this point in time I don't believe Ballard lies. It's part of his make up to be straight with people, one of the reasons players like the guy. He also isn't going to blab everything he knows. I take him at his word that they really aren't sure when Luck will be back. I think this will be a big hit if he doesn't get back to state the obvious. If, a big if, we truly are a super bowl contenders (I'm thinking we are a playoff team but a year away to truly compete) we should be able to withstand losing Luck for a while. A huge test for the coaching staff and organization as a whole. Luck's career doesn't seem in jeopardy. This is just a huge bump in the road for us. Remember what last year at this time felt like?

GoBigBlue88
08-14-2019, 12:55 PM
I don't think Ballard lies. I think Luck has a weird body and is a slow healer (don't confuse that with being a wuss; dude is tougher than shit), and Irsay/Luck/Ballard are rarely on the same communication page.

ChoppedWood
08-14-2019, 02:05 PM
I don't think Ballard lies. I think Luck has a weird body and is a slow healer (don't confuse that with being a wuss; dude is tougher than shit), and Irsay/Luck/Ballard are rarely on the same communication page.

I agree, I think Ballard tries to shoot as straight as he can in a given moment of time.

Reich just gave an interview from camp...

"Andrew Luck is a superior human, both mentally and physically, so you know whenever he comes back, you hope that's WEEKS, then you know he's going to ramp up faster than others. You hope it's a week and that's all it takes".

To me, this sounds like a group of guys in a room following this latest examp by specialist. Irsay, Ballard, Reich, chief of medical staff.

"So, this is what we found, options are do nothing intrusive and try more rehab for the the next week, if it resolves he needs "XXX" before he can take the field so the best case is "X # of weeks without him". Surgery, that's going to put him down for "X" months, so that's starting rehab here, and he's not playing until at least "X".

And it sounds to me like the three talking heads are trying to keep that optimistic time table while also setting the stage that he may be shelved for an extended period...

Brylok
08-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Y'all are losing your minds. I'll wait until week one before I lose mine.

VeveJones007
08-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Y'all are losing your minds. I'll wait until week one before I lose mine.

Yep. They’ve said he can throw without pain. It’s the lateral movement in the pocket that’s the concern.

Now that they know it’s the high ankle area, they can try some other things to alleviate or stabilize.

njcoltfan
08-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Jeff Swartz was just on CC, they played the audio from Ballard yesterday. It sounds ominous- he specifically says "that needs to be addressed". This article says surgery is not believed necessary- we'll see if that holds given Ballard's statement of the thing that needs to be "addressed".

Regardless, this sounds like a 4 month long hatchet job on the actual diagnosis. Had to go to a specialist recently to get this diagnosis- are you F'ing kidding me???? 4 MONTHS go by.... 4 F'ing months! Disgusting! Fire the entire training staff, all of them NOW!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041194/article/colts-gm-andrew-lucks-calf-injury-is-highankle-issue

Don't forget the team Doctors, Moe, Larry, Curley and Shep !!

JAFF
08-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Irsay and any one else is seldom on the same planet.

But that’s OK he’s pretty cool

Hoopsdoc
08-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Reich says they need to know one way or the other by the end of the 3rd preseason game. That gives them two weeks to prepare for San Diego.

The third preseason game is in 10 days, August 25th. I don’t see any way this is resolved by then.

In fact, if it’s not, I can see the Colts putting him on the PUP list. I now see that as a distinct possibility.

Dam8610
08-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Reich says they need to know one way or the other by the end of the 3rd preseason game. That gives them two weeks to prepare for San Diego.

The third preseason game is in 10 days, August 25th. I don’t see any way this is resolved by then.

In fact, if it’s not, I can see the Colts putting him on the PUP list. I now see that as a distinct possibility.

PUP would put him out until Week 7. That won't happen unless he goes under the knife.

JAFF
08-15-2019, 04:15 PM
PUP would put him out until Week 7. That won't happen unless he goes under the knife.

He's not going on the PUP.

This is not that big of a deal IF they truly have figured out what is causing the pain.

He's been out on the field, throwing. Thats been fine. As long as they have figured out its not a danger to the ligement or tendon, the pain can be managed.

And to the comment about the Indy docs, they are pretty good. They have a high standing not only in the state but in the country.

Hoopsdoc
08-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Uhh, it’s been bothering him since April and surgery has already been ruled out as “wouldn’t help this particular injury”.

I don’t think it’s nearly as far fetched as it would seem at first. Especially if they’re truly being as careful as they claim.

Either way, time is running short if that’s a hard deadline.

ChoppedWood
08-15-2019, 06:15 PM
When was that surgery ruled out because it wouldn't help this particular injury? Was that when it was a calf or has that been said after this most recent specialist visit, I think it was Monday? Ballard's statement of "needs to be addressed" has me wondering if we aren't on the verge of the "Andrew Luck had a minor procedure on his ailing ankle" announcement any day now...

In terms of those talking about him being able to throw. I think it was Wells that reported that his first day, looked great, but the two days he threw after that were not good, said he was off the mark and you could tell he wasn't right. Plus as they were talking about this morning, one of his greatest attributes is the quick 5-7 lateral roll that buys an extra tick or so on the clock allowing WR's to separate, from what I heard them saying his lateral movement is when he is in pain, so there goes that aspect if he's hurting...

ChoppedWood
08-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Mort just reported that the team is optimistic that Luck is on target to start game 1. Man I hope this is the truth and not some bs to try to keep people on the bus like a couple years ago.

Something else that has been pointed out- something I really didn't comprehend until I heard it. There's a bunch of talk about how he won't be that rusty when he comes back because he did pretty much this same thing last year. Not so, I didn't realize that he was part of 13 of 16 practices last year and was part of 3 preseason games. So this downtime is more likely to cause more acclimation issues than many of us think.

Brylok
08-15-2019, 09:38 PM
ChoppedWood is going to have a stroke. My man, turn off Dakich, Doyle, and pretty much all sports radio for a while. You will do yourself a lot of good. Season tickets are already sold. Nobody knows anything. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Wait until week 1 to see what happens before you damage your health.

ChoppedWood
08-15-2019, 09:48 PM
ChoppedWood is going to have a stroke. My man, turn off Dakich, Doyle, and pretty much all sports radio for a while. You will do yourself a lot of good. Season tickets are already sold. Nobody knows anything. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Wait until week 1 to see what happens before you damage your health.

Dude, it's on every news channel, it's every single thread of communication in the sports world. Right now, this is the biggest story going in the NFL, well that and a nut job with chaffed feet and a spray painted helmet in Oakland.

This is an item of unique interest across the league, and there's a lot of high level media wondering just how the staff could have F'd this up this bad- and it's a legit question, and in some respect the questions go back to Luck- does he just not know how to work with the training staff, not my question, just a question I've heard a couple people talk about now.

I sure wouldn't be this neurotic about it if all the reports coming out of camp where that JB was torching people, shit there's some talk that we could be looking at Chad Kelly as our week 1 starter. JB better show up big on Sat.

smitty46953
08-15-2019, 09:54 PM
shit there's some talk that we could be looking at Chad Kelly as our week 1 starter. JB better show up big on Sat.

Kelly is suspended first 2 games if he makes squad :cool:

NFL suspended Colts QB Chad Kelly two games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

This stems from Kelly's arrest last fall, which prompted his release from Denver. The former Mr. Irrelevant impressed in Colts minicamp last month and should compete for third-string quarterback duties behind starter Andrew Luck and backup Jacoby Brissett. He'll be eligible to return against the Falcons in Week 3.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

ChoppedWood
08-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Kelly is suspended first 2 games if he makes squad :cool:

NFL suspended Colts QB Chad Kelly two games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

This stems from Kelly's arrest last fall, which prompted his release from Denver. The former Mr. Irrelevant impressed in Colts minicamp last month and should compete for third-string quarterback duties behind starter Andrew Luck and backup Jacoby Brissett. He'll be eligible to return against the Falcons in Week 3.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Man I hope JB shows up tomorrow afternoon! Need some jolt of confidence after a week that has definitely taken some air out of the balloon.

Colts And Orioles
08-16-2019, 03:12 PM

Dude, it's on every news channel, it's every single thread of communication in the sports world. Right now, this is the biggest story going in the NFL, well that and a nut job with chaffed feet and a spray painted helmet in Oakland.

This is an item of unique interest across the league, and there's a lot of high level media wondering just how the staff could have F'd this up this bad- and it's a legit question, and in some respect the questions go back to Luck- does he just not know how to work with the training staff, not my question, just a question I've heard a couple people talk about now.

I sure wouldn't be this neurotic about it if all the reports coming out of camp where that JB was torching people, shit there's some talk that we could be looking at Chad Kelly as our week 1 starter. JB better show up big on Sat.

o

Kind of like Pete Best trying to avoid reading and/or hearing any news about the Beatles in the mid-to-late 1960's.

o

Coltsalr
08-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Mort just reported that the team is optimistic that Luck is on target to start game 1. Man I hope this is the truth and not some bs to try to keep people on the bus like a couple years ago.

Something else that has been pointed out- something I really didn't comprehend until I heard it. There's a bunch of talk about how he won't be that rusty when he comes back because he did pretty much this same thing last year. Not so, I didn't realize that he was part of 13 of 16 practices last year and was part of 3 preseason games. So this downtime is more likely to cause more acclimation issues than many of us think.

Mort is extremely close to the Manning family and Peyton was at practice the day that Mort tweeted that out, so it seems fairly obvious where Mort got his info.

I don’t think Peyton would feed Mort BS (he gave Mort the exclusive on his retirement announcement) and I don’t think the Colts would give Manning any BS when they seem to be trying to kiss-up to him as much as possible.

Holder tweeted out this today, which seems fairly pertinent:

https://twitter.com/holderstephen/status/1162388302231756800?s=21

Oldcolt
08-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Watching Luck high step in pre game work out put my mind to rest. He was moving pretty good.

Coltsalr
08-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Watching Luck high step in pre game work out put my mind to rest. He was moving pretty good.

Here’s the video, for reference:

https://twitter.com/indysportsone/status/1162795440351457280?s=21

Luck4Reich
08-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Luck is about to have a Monster season.

ChoppedWood
08-20-2019, 01:33 PM
No practice this week, Reich just announced it...

SMH... ????

Oldcolt
08-20-2019, 02:52 PM
No practice this week, Reich just announced it...

SMH... ????

It makes sense. He sits until there is no pain. If that takes him thru the first 3-4 weeks of the season, so be it. We can be competitive, especially for a short time, with Jacoby. It will be much harder to compete in the playoffs, however, without Luck. Let him heal Colts and trust that what we are actually building is a team. Do not rush him back.

Pez
08-20-2019, 04:53 PM
This is to be expected yea? I thought the last concrete thing we said was that they would decide after the third preseason game if he would start vs Chargers, as that would be the minimum time it would take to prepare.

I'm not too optimistic.

If he can prepare for the chargers start in two weeks between the bears game and the bengals game then we have to hold him out of practice this week.

ChoppedWood
08-20-2019, 05:02 PM
It makes sense. He sits until there is no pain. If that takes him thru the first 3-4 weeks of the season, so be it. We can be competitive, especially for a short time, with Jacoby. It will be much harder to compete in the playoffs, however, without Luck. Let him heal Colts and trust that what we are actually building is a team. Do not rush him back.

So in other words, load management before there is any load to manage?

Oldcolt
08-20-2019, 07:27 PM
So in other words, load management before there is any load to manage?

That's what I'm hoping. We will know soon enough

Brylok
08-20-2019, 08:09 PM
I'm still waiting for week 1 before I go into doom and gloom mode. Last season had a positive affect on me as far as that goes.

Brylok
08-25-2019, 12:50 AM
I have lost mine. Luck can eat a bag-o-dicks on his way outta town. Piece of shit he turned out to be.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 12:54 AM
Yeah this thread needs to be pinned, someone should send this to Oliver Luck and ask him if he wants to write a book on raising a pansy that fucks over his team and its fans. I am struggling right now, who sucks worse, McDaniels or Luck?

DrSpaceman
08-25-2019, 12:57 AM
Yeah this thread needs to be pinned, someone should send this to Oliver Luck and ask him if he wants to write a book on raising a pansy that fucks over his team and its fans. I am struggling right now, who sucks worse, McDaniels or Luck?

That's a tough one

You expect it though from McDaniels and that cheating Shyster owner and franchise

Never expected it from Luck.

Brylok
08-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Luck screwed us over farrr worse than McDaniels (who most of us never wanted anyway). Never would have believed it but here we are.

ChoppedWood
08-25-2019, 01:06 AM
Luck screwed us over farrr worse than McDaniels (who most of us never wanted anyway). Never would have believed it but here we are.

Yeah, I am going with Luck as well. He got inside, he fucked us like an animal.