PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Moore Signs 4-year Deal

Chaka
06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
The Colts used a little of that cap space today - making Moore the highest paid slot corner "based upon new money" according to Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139165883010621441

Luck4Reich
06-13-2019, 09:59 AM
The Colts used a little of that cap space today - making Moore the highest paid slot corner "based upon new money" according to Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139165883010621441

Good move.

Coltsalr
06-13-2019, 10:05 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/8412f8662fe9f49d80a736a0130d8a99/tenor.gif

Chaka
06-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Good move.

Yes, Moore seems to be well liked around here. GBB is a big fan, if I recall correctly. I'll be curious to see the terms/structure.

The Colts seem to be taking a page from MLB in focusing on early re-signs of their players to buy out a few of their free agent years. Moore's a pretty significant one. I wonder if they're thinking of doing something similar with Kelly, though I know his injury history would be a concern.

Chaka
06-13-2019, 10:36 AM
The comments left below Rapoport’s twitter post are kind of funny to read. The prevailing response to the Moore news seems to be “Who?”, including a guy who simply says, “never heard his name ever said”.

Then there’s the Texans fans who are basically conceding the AFC South to the Colts.

VeveJones007
06-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Yes, Moore seems to be well liked around here. GBB is a big fan, if I recall correctly. I'll be curious to see the terms/structure.

The Colts seem to be taking a page from MLB in focusing on early re-signs of their players to buy out a few of their free agent years. Moore's a pretty significant one. I wonder if they're thinking of doing something similar with Kelly, though I know his injury history would be a concern.

This is what we discussed on here after they didn't go crazy in UFA. There's a lot of cap space this year that they can put towards extensions. It will create more cap room in 2020-2023 and could help them retain more of their own who would have otherwise hit free agency.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
06-13-2019, 11:28 AM
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1139168128032751616

Kenny Moore's story proves what a throwback attitude + tons of toughness can get you in this league. Remember, Chris Ballard had a rule — he didn't want any cornerbacks 5-9 or shorter. Had to be convinced to give Moore a shot. Two years later, Moore is a backbone of his defense.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1139169655447326721

Kenny Moore will sign his contract extension this afternoon, per source. Without a doubt, one of the most respected guys in that locker room. His teammates will be genuinely pumped for him. Undrafted guy out of Valdosta State who's earned everything he's gotten.

nate505
06-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Heh, I remember him making some boneheaded special teams plays a couple years ago and me saying "CUT HIM."

Glad people way smarter than me make the decisions.

Oldcolt
06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Ballard keeps doing what he says he will do. This has to be a positive for the locker room. I really like spending that cap money this way.

VeveJones007
06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Heh, I remember him making some boneheaded special teams plays a couple years ago and me saying "CUT HIM."

It wasn't just ST. He also had some really bad reps in coverage his rookie year. I don't know how much was scheme vs his progression, but he was WAYYYY better in 2018.

JAFF
06-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Me too

JAFF
06-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Ballard keeps doing what he says he will do. This has to be a positive for the locker room. I really like spending that cap money this way.

If you tell guys that you will play and pay the best guys, and they win games, you need to back up your talk with paydays.

Oldcolt
06-13-2019, 03:56 PM
This is what we discussed on here after they didn't go crazy in UFA. There's a lot of cap space this year that they can put towards extensions. It will create more cap room in 2020-2023 and could help them retain more of their own who would have otherwise hit free agency.

Bingo

Pez
06-13-2019, 04:19 PM
The comments left below Rapoport’s twitter post are kind of funny to read. The prevailing response to the Moore news seems to be “Who?”, including a guy who simply says, “never heard his name ever said”.

Then there’s the Texans fans who are basically conceding the AFC South to the Colts.

Weird. Moore is great, great energy, good skills. Odd to me That there can be colts fans that haven't heard of him.

Darius' Leonard's mic'd up session has this hilarious bit where he screams "Get off me Kenny!"

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
06-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Details on the contract:

Per Rapoport

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139241081826975744

Details on the #Colts extension with slot CB Kenny Moore: He was to make $645K this year and would be an RFA next year at $3M or so, depending on the level. On his new deal, he’ll make $30M in new money from 2021-2023, with a max value of more than $36M, source said.

Per Joel Erickson

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1139249426327752704

Kenny Moore is now signed through 2023, per source, for $34 million, and another $6 million is available in escalators

Colt Classic
06-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Weird. Moore is great, great energy, good skills. Odd to me That there can be colts fans that haven't heard of him.

Darius' Leonard's mic'd up session has this hilarious bit where he screams "Get off me Kenny!"

Not odd when you consider it's from the comments section of a Tweet.

Chromeburn
06-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Good signing, I was wondering if this was going to happen after Rigoberto.

There is still Castonzo and Ebron as extension candidates as well. I wonder if Ballard are working on them. Castonzo would be a good signing since tackles age well and sometimes have their best years in their 30's.

YDFL Commish
06-13-2019, 08:48 PM
It wasn't just ST. He also had some really bad reps in coverage his rookie year. I don't know how much was scheme vs his progression, but he was WAYYYY better in 2018.

I was among those who wanted him cut.

To be fair though it was only his first few games that he struggled with the bonehead plays. He did get progressively better after that.

VeveJones007
06-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Good signing, I was wondering if this was going to happen after Rigoberto.

There is still Castonzo and Ebron as extension candidates as well. I wonder if Ballard are working on them. Castonzo would be a good signing since tackles age well and sometimes have their best years in their 30's.

And it sounds like Castonzo is responding well to the new training staff, saying his body is feeling better than it has in years. Of course, that could also just be him angling for a final big contract.

Colt Classic
06-14-2019, 07:29 AM
And it sounds like Castonzo is responding well to the new training staff, saying his body is feeling better than it has in years. Of course, that could also just be him angling for a final big contract.

Yeah just ask him--I'm sure he'll tell you he feels like he's 25 again!

JAFF
06-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Why wouldnt the colts do everything to resign him? Solid left tackles are hard to find. Is there a better left tackle in the conference?

Chaka
06-14-2019, 10:02 AM

I had assumed the responses were from non-Colts fans, but if Colts fans are saying this it's even funnier. Just the contrast between the report of a record-breaking contract, and the fact the guy has such low name recognition. In any event, good signing and good message to the rest of the team.

VeveJones007
06-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Why wouldnt the colts do everything to resign him? Solid left tackles are hard to find. Is there a better left tackle in the conference?

Probably Lewan and Villanueva, but it's a good point. He's a solid piece and there's no reason for the Colts to mess around and lose him when they have ample cap room.

DrSpaceman
06-14-2019, 12:45 PM
It took a decade to get together a good OL for this team

No need to get rid of a key piece now and risk destroying all that

Castonzo should be back

JAFF
06-14-2019, 05:47 PM
I had assumed the responses were from non-Colts fans, but if Colts fans are saying this it's even funnier. Just the contrast between the report of a record-breaking contract, and the fact the guy has such low name recognition. In any event, good signing and good message to the rest of the team.

With this offense, with more play action, the guys can attack the opposition, hit them first and make them react. He can play his position, he doesnt need to worry about the guy next to him

IndyNorm
06-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Seems unnecessarily early, but good to have him locked up. Will be interesting to see what the exact contract details are.

Discflinger
06-15-2019, 05:34 PM
He just got his braces off and can't stop licking his teeth. Love it.

Racehorse
06-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Seems unnecessarily early, but good to have him locked up. Will be interesting to see what the exact contract details are.

Gotta get the cap dollars into this year. A signing bonus can help with that.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
06-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Gotta get the cap dollars into this year. A signing bonus can help with that.

That is exactly what the Colts did with Rigoberto's contract - I would expect the same here. That is one of the main reasons for extending the contract "early".

Chaka
06-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Here's an article on the growing importance of slot corners in today's NFL:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/21/17762720/nfl-premium-position-slot-cornerback

Butter
06-16-2019, 12:44 AM

Contracts keep going up, locking him in now will make the later years look like a bargain if he continues to stay healthy and play at a high level.

JAFF
06-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Here you go

http://https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/14/frank-reich-extending-kenny-moore-sends-right-message-to-rest-of-team/

Pez
06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
It took a decade to get together a good OL for this team

No need to get rid of a key piece now and risk destroying all that

Castonzo should be backAll respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chaka
06-17-2019, 12:40 AM
Details on the contract:

Per Rapoport

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139241081826975744

Per Joel Erickson

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1139249426327752704

So it's a true extension then - he's under contract for five more seasons (2019-2023) following this extension, and we've bought out three of his free agent years.

Luck4Reich
06-17-2019, 10:40 AM
All respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.

JAFF
06-17-2019, 06:42 PM
We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.

I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets

Luck4Reich
06-17-2019, 07:48 PM
I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets

I'm not dismissing the great things Polian did. More could have been done on defense. I just wish we would have won more SBs.. was that all on Polian? Absolutely not. I just feel Ballard is placing more emphasis in that area so far. We will see if it ends in more SBs.

HoosierinFL
06-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.

Oldcolt
06-18-2019, 11:10 AM
I don't think Polian put enough emphasis in offensive lineman. Moore was a genius at getting guys to play well together but they just did not have the physicality that you can get with high draft choices. There is a reason everyone considered us soft (we were-if that even can apply to a football team) during Polian's reign and nobody but nobody would say that about this team now. We will see if this philosophy (spend high draft choices in building your offensive line) gets us more championships than the last one. I like it a lot better and have been wanting us to go down this route for decades.

Chromeburn
06-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.

Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.

Luck4Reich
06-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.

Great point. People forget that Peyton got rid of the ball fast and his command of the playcalling made the olines look a lot better than they actually were.

YDFL Commish
06-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Let us not forget who gradually got more control within the Colts organization after the 2006 Championship.

I believe that had more to do with the poor drafting than any other factor.

GoBigBlue88
06-18-2019, 08:43 PM
This is incredible, if anyone missed it today:

https://www.albertbridgecapital.com/drew-views/2019/6/17/stay-in-the-game

My best friend is basically this guy's kid. Powerful read. I really felt this one. Forever a K-Mo fan.

jasperhobbs
06-18-2019, 09:09 PM
This is incredible, if anyone missed it today:

https://www.albertbridgecapital.com/drew-views/2019/6/17/stay-in-the-game

My best friend is basically this guy's kid. Powerful read. I really felt this one. Forever a K-Mo fan.

As a dog lover, I can really relate to this story. I have been through some down times like we all have but my dogs always keep me in the game.

Pez
06-18-2019, 10:04 PM

I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.Great post...

JAFF
06-19-2019, 07:41 AM

Yeah he did. He drafted Costanzo. He also drafted Charlie Johnson, who played for the Colts and then they lost him in free agency, cap problems.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm
(https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm)

Part of it was the cap, part of it was Howard Mudd. He could work with guys like Llija and ________ and make them searvicable. But he drafted Jake Scott and we lost him to free agency. Polian was working with a tighter cap and he made his own problems when he hit on so many players.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm
(https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm)

And remember, all that winning kept putting the Colts at the back end of the draft year after year. He hit on a bunch of late round guys who played long careers. Go look at the list. He had guys who were lost to free agency who played a long time. If there was a "failure", they should have let some guys go sooner than later, and kept the young guys.

JAFF
06-19-2019, 07:47 AM
I'm not dismissing the great things Polian did. More could have been done on defense. I just wish we would have won more SBs.. was that all on Polian? Absolutely not. I just feel Ballard is placing more emphasis in that area so far. We will see if it ends in more SBs.

Like Jerry Hughes? A douche bag here, and he figgured out if he didn't get his butt in gear he was out of the league after the Colts let him go. Its' a crap shoot on the draft. Antone Bethea is still playing, and he was a 6th rounder?

rm1369
06-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Like Jerry Hughes? A douche bag here, and he figgured out if he didn't get his butt in gear he was out of the league after the Colts let him go. Its' a crap shoot on the draft. Antone Bethea is still playing, and he was a 6th rounder?

Every team has to decide what to emphasize. Where to invest the limited resources they have. Polian chose to play to Manning’s strengths - skill position players on O and a D that was designed to play with a lead. On the surface it makes some sense. However the team would have been better off to put resources into areas that would have allowed them to win when Manning wasn’t brilliant. Building a D that didn’t need a two touchdown lead to be at its best would be the best example. A stronger offensive line that could move the pile to get a yard when needed is another.

That change in philosophy needed to be made early in the building process. Once they started drafting at the bottom of every round and the cap space was tied up in the core of skill position players it became much harder to change the teams direction and identity. I’m thankful that, so far, Ballard doesn’t appear to be repeating that mistake (although like a few others I’m a little worried about the size of the interior D line).

Chromeburn
06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Yeah he did. He drafted Costanzo. He also drafted Charlie Johnson, who played for the Colts and then they lost him in free agency, cap problems.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm
(https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm)

Part of it was the cap, part of it was Howard Mudd. He could work with guys like Llija and ________ and make them searvicable. But he drafted Jake Scott and we lost him to free agency. Polian was working with a tighter cap and he made his own problems when he hit on so many players.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm
(https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm)

And remember, all that winning kept putting the Colts at the back end of the draft year after year. He hit on a bunch of late round guys who played long careers. Go look at the list. He had guys who were lost to free agency who played a long time. If there was a "failure", they should have let some guys go sooner than later, and kept the young guys.

Castonzo was drafted by his son and they were on their way out because they couldn’t fill those talent holes that they used to. Also Castonzo was just ok early in his career, not exactly a pass blocking prodigy. I think he was a poor fit for that system. Johnson was serviceable, and really did little once he moved on. Remember Ugoh beat him out initially for the job, Ugoh actually looked pretty good very early on then declined rapidly. Johnson benefited from Manning’s play, and was really on the field because he was the only one healthy.

As for the other stuff, doesn’t really change anything I said.

JAFF
06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Castonzo was drafted by his son and they were on their way out because they couldn’t fill those talent holes that they used to. Also Castonzo was just ok early in his career, not exactly a pass blocking prodigy. I think he was a poor fit for that system. Johnson was serviceable, and really did little once he moved on. Remember Ugoh beat him out initially for the job, Ugoh actually looked pretty good very early on then declined rapidly. Johnson benefited from Manning’s play, and was really on the field because he was the only one healthy.

As for the other stuff, doesn’t really change anything I said.

Polian was in charge, and took the blame.

Chromeburn
06-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Polian was in charge, and took the blame.

Sure, he was still getting paid to run the team and the buck stopped with him, but the nepotism is what undid them. Those last drafts were run by his son and they were just not hitting on picks anymore. Of course, a department isn't just one guy when making picks. However, there was a difference in their choices from 2007 on. There were some really bad picks in there. When you use just one method to build your team, you can't have a decline in that area.

Manning propped the team up on his shoulders at the end and it was exposed when he got hurt. People think they sucked for Luck in 2012, not a chance. That team had so little talent. They were really outmatched in games.

HoosierinFL
06-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Let us not forget who gradually got more control within the Colts organization after the 2006 Championship.

I believe that had more to do with the poor drafting than any other factor.

Dam?

YDFL Commish
06-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Dam?

Who knows, maybe Dam really is CP?

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
07-03-2019, 11:58 PM

Here are a few more contract details beyond the initial terms reported through tweets.

Sportrac indicates the terms are a 4 year extension worth $33.3MM ($9.0MM guaranteed - all in year 2019).

His original contract for 2019 was $0.645MM - that base salary was revised and bumped up to an even $1.0MM. He was also given a $8.0MM roster bonus in 2019.

Base salaries are:

2019 - $1.0MM
2020 - $5.75MM
2021 - $5.4MM
2022 - $5.5MM
2023 - $6.795MM

There is also a weekly bonus for being Active each week - $15,625 per game in years 2020 -2022 and $46,875 per game in 2023.

Butter
07-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Holy shit that is a fucking sweet contract for the Colts, there is no way short of acting like a Chefs star player that Moore is not on the team in '19 and after that nothing lost.

ukcolt
07-05-2019, 04:32 AM
It's the sort of contract that indicates that you want the guy for the entirety of the deal, not just the first couple of seasons. I am sure if he outplays his contract value then the contract will be renegotiated in a few years.

I have always hated the short term contracts that are made to look like a 5 year deal just so that the agent looks good. If you are truly trying to sign a cornerstone player sign him to a deal that you can commit to long term such as this one. I really like the way that Ballard has operated with the contracts that he has handed out throughout his reign.

I also think that if you sign an undrafted street free agent to a 2 year deal (which often happens) then he should be paid for the full two years. If you decide to cut him then so be it...but you pay out his full contract, if that means you actually only give him a 3 month contract with no security just because he is camp fodder then do that, and if he makes the team sign him to a new contract at that point.