PDA

View Full Version : Colts sign Chad Kelly

jasperhobbs
05-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Not much risk really to see what he can do. He gets out of line, cut him.

Oldcolt
05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
He is the nephew and godson of Jim Kelly. I am willing to bet this is, in a large part, a favor for an old friend (Reich being his back up for all those years).

YDFL Commish
05-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Fuckin headcase, but whatever.:rolleyes:

JAFF
05-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Fuckin headcase, but whatever.:rolleyes:

Its what good people do. Frank Reich is a good guy, and if I could have my grandkids to spend time with him, I would consider it time well spent

omahacolt
05-20-2019, 07:26 PM
He is the nephew and godson of Jim Kelly. I am willing to bet this is, in a large part, a favor for an old friend (Reich being his back up for all those years).

Yeah. And it is dumb

JAFF
05-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Yeah. And it is dumb

No not really. It’s a team filled with men who have character and maybe it will change this kid into someone who can build his own character

omahacolt
05-20-2019, 07:29 PM
No not really. It’s a team filled with men who have character and maybe it will change this kid into someone who can build his own character

It’s dumb. This kid had a golden opportunity in Denver and blew it. There are more deserving dudes to bring in for a shot

YDFL Commish
05-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Its what good people do. Frank Reich is a good guy, and if I could have my grandkids to spend time with him, I would consider it time well spent

I bet you're not allowing your grand kids around Chad Kelly? I wouldn't.

Luck4Reich
05-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Dont preach bringing in character guys then bring in a POS as a favor.

Oldcolt
05-21-2019, 12:04 AM
Dont preach bringing in character guys then bring in a POS as a favor.

This is completely different. They are not bringing in a great football player who will be a significant part of the team but has huge character concerns. He will be as far from a core player as possible. If he behaves badly there is zero effect on the on field product and it is near impossible for a fringe guy like this to affect the locker room in a negative way. The kid is getting this chance because of who his uncle is. People do things for their friends.

Discflinger
05-21-2019, 05:09 AM
Yeah. And it is dumb

He got drunk. So what?

omahacolt
05-21-2019, 09:07 AM
He got drunk. So what?

That isn’t all that happened

JAFF
05-21-2019, 07:08 PM
It’s dumb. This kid had a golden opportunity in Denver and blew it. There are more deserving dudes to bring in for a shot

He's the 96th guy on a team that can only hold 54 guys. He's not keeping Johnny U off the roster.

omahacolt
05-21-2019, 07:37 PM
He's the 96th guy on a team that can only hold 54 guys. He's not keeping Johnny U off the roster.

What the fuck does this even mean? My god your posts are shit. Every one of them

JAFF
05-21-2019, 07:55 PM
What the fuck does this even mean? My god your posts are shit. Every one of them

And you are an ahole everytime you open your pie hole.

If he makes the 54 man roster, you have something to bitch about.

omahacolt
05-21-2019, 08:10 PM

The front office is tasked with bringing in the best talent. Not doing so is a failure.

Do you not understand depth?

Luck4Reich
05-21-2019, 08:38 PM

I hope he doesnt make the roster, that means a wasted spot some contributor could take.

Chaka
05-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Since it's unlikely we'll carry three QBs on the final roster, there seems to be two likely reasons (other than potential injury to Luck/Brissett) to bring this guy in:

1) As many of you have suggested, they are doing the guy a favor due to his connections and to give him an opportunity for exposure; or

2) They think there's a decent chance they'll trade Brissett and want an alternative backup who's young with upside but is not totally raw.

His signing certainly doesn't fit with Ballard's prior statements about how character is so important to him, and I agree with Omaha that there are guys far more deserving at a shot that this guy.

smitty46953
05-22-2019, 12:21 PM
I hope he doesnt make the roster, that means a wasted spot some contributor could take.

Camp arm nothing more in my opinion :cool:

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
05-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Since it's unlikely we'll carry three QBs on the final roster, there seems to be two likely reasons (other than potential injury to Luck/Brissett) to bring this guy in:

1) As many of you have suggested, they are doing the guy a favor due to his connections and to give him an opportunity for exposure; or

2) They think there's a decent chance they'll trade Brissett and want an alternative backup who's young with upside but is not totally raw.

His signing certainly doesn't fit with Ballard's prior statements about how character is so important to him, and I agree with Omaha that there are guys far more deserving at a shot that this guy.

I think it's option 3:

3) The Colts wanted to bring in someone for competition as a 3rd QB. The competition is NOT for a final roster spot - it is for a spot on the practice / taxi squad. This could be Brissett's last year as a Colt - if the Colts think Kelly has talent and upside and now a focus to stay out of trouble, they might give him a shot - on the practice squad. It would give them a chance to see what he can do and see if he can stay out of trouble.

Luck4Reich
05-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Camp arm nothing more in my opinion :cool:

Yeah.. what I think too.

Chaka
05-22-2019, 03:18 PM
I think it's option 3:

3) The Colts wanted to bring in someone for competition as a 3rd QB. The competition is NOT for a final roster spot - it is for a spot on the practice / taxi squad. This could be Brissett's last year as a Colt - if the Colts think Kelly has talent and upside and now a focus to stay out of trouble, they might give him a shot - on the practice squad. It would give them a chance to see what he can do and see if he can stay out of trouble.

Yes, good point

JAFF
05-23-2019, 05:40 AM
The front office is tasked with bringing in the best talent. Not doing so is a failure.

Do you not understand depth?

Yeah, and if he's better than what they have now, he will make the team. But he's a LONG way from doing that. He probably won't make it to camp.

Luck4Reich
05-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Kelly is facing a 2 game suspension by the NFL.:cool:

YDFL Commish
05-31-2019, 08:59 PM
Kelly is facing a 2 game suspension by the NFL.:cool:

How does that work, when he doesn't make the roster. Can it carry over a year?

Dam8610
05-31-2019, 09:06 PM
How does that work, when he doesn't make the roster. Can it carry over a year?

He's suspended from the next two games for which he would otherwise be on a 53 man roster, I believe.

Colt Classic
06-01-2019, 08:33 AM
So on a theoretical trading card that he'll never have his "Games Played" line will be -2 since he's never going to be worth a roster spot.

Chromeburn
06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
He's suspended from the next two games for which he would otherwise be on a 53 man roster, I believe.

Yeah he has to make the 53. It will follow him till it is fulfilled.

Chromeburn
06-01-2019, 12:40 PM
So on a theoretical trading card that he'll never have his "Games Played" line will be -2 since he's never going to be worth a roster spot.

I wouldn’t say never. He has a good arm. He doesn’t keep getting shots out of the goodness of the GM’s heart.

TheMugwump
06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
I wouldn’t say never. He has a good arm. He doesn’t keep getting shots out of the goodness of the GM’s heart.

He got this shot, at least in part, because of Reich's relationship with his uncle.

On a completely different side of this, I saw the ESPN mini-headline that said, "Colts Kelly gets two-game ban for October arrest.", and I thought, "Fuck ME! Is Ryan EVER going to play a full 16 game schedule?"

Chromeburn
06-02-2019, 05:07 PM
He got this shot, at least in part, because of Reich's relationship with his uncle.

On a completely different side of this, I saw the ESPN mini-headline that said, "Colts Kelly gets two-game ban for October arrest.", and I thought, "Fuck ME! Is Ryan EVER going to play a full 16 game schedule?"

He got in the door because it’s who you know. But he wouldn’t get that chance if he didn’t have arm talent and the fact he has potential. The rest is up to him.

TheMugwump
06-02-2019, 05:21 PM
He got in the door because it’s who you know. But he wouldn’t get that chance if he didn’t have arm talent and the fact he has potential. The rest is up to him.

You're right, of course. I just think that unless there are other GM's/Coaches with a relationship with Uncle Jim, that this might be the last shot he gets.

Personally, I have nothing against him and I hope he becomes an excellent back up, or even trade bait. I'm not counting on it, but here's hoping.

YDFL Commish
06-03-2019, 10:09 AM
You're right, of course. I just think that unless there are other GM's/Coaches with a relationship with Uncle Jim, that this might be the last shot he gets.

Personally, I have nothing against him and I hope he becomes an excellent back up, or even trade bait. I'm not counting on it, but here's hoping.

You do know that, if that were to happen, it would mean the season was over don't you?

TheMugwump
06-03-2019, 12:57 PM
You do know that, if that were to happen, it would mean the season was over don't you?

No, I was unaware that Kelly becoming our backup QB would mean that our season was in the crapper.

Please, elaborate.

YDFL Commish
06-03-2019, 01:02 PM
No, I was unaware that Kelly becoming our backup QB would mean that our season was in the crapper.

Please, elaborate.

For Kelly to become trade bait he would have to play during the regular season.

TheMugwump
06-03-2019, 01:54 PM
For Kelly to become trade bait he would have to play during the regular season.

Sure, that's one way of looking at it.

Another is that he gets a lot of fourth quarter action in Colts' blow-out wins and he shows potential.

Or he shows a lot in pre-season, sort of like the way that Garroppolo must have in New England.

Look, Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter never got meaningful minutes. It doesn't mean that teams weren't beating the door down with tempting offers trying to pry them away from Polian.

Oh wait...yes it does.

Just hoping he can show a lot in camp and pre-season. Teams are always QB desperate, and if a team, say, near Boston, were to have all of their options behind center go down with sudden UTIs, then maybe we could reap a reward here. All I'm saying.

Coltsalr
06-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Sure, that's one way of looking at it.

Another is that he gets a lot of fourth quarter action in Colts' blow-out wins and he shows potential.

Or he shows a lot in pre-season, sort of like the way that Garroppolo must have in New England.

Look, Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter never got meaningful minutes. It doesn't mean that teams weren't beating the door down with tempting offers trying to pry them away from Polian.

Oh wait...yes it does.

Just hoping he can show a lot in camp and pre-season. Teams are always QB desperate, and if a team, say, near Boston, were to have all of their options behind center go down with sudden UTIs, then maybe we could reap a reward here. All I'm saying.

Garroppolo actually showed a lot (enough) when Brady was suspended for cheating and that's why he was traded, if we're being honest (well, that's why his value was what it was. He was traded because Brady forced him out).

If there's one thing we don't want it's for Luck to get hurt again, but him getting suspended is just such a Bizarro World to imagine that I'm not even sure how I could even entertain it.

That said, I don't think it's completely implausible that if a guy could set the world on fire in preseason that if a QB desperate team (their starter just went down for the season) could make an offer. It wouldn't be a stupid offer, but hey, if you can turn a guy that you gave a flyer offer to into a 4th-5th round pick then you do it.

ukcolt
06-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Kelly is going to see very little time in the preseason, we will be giving Brissett considerable playing time i would imagine, next in line is Walker. If Kelly really lights it up in training camp then maybe he sees some preseason action ahead of Walker, but i would be highly surprised if he were to get anything more than 4th maybe 3rd quarter action throughout the entire preseason.

Coltsalr
06-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Kelly is going to see very little time in the preseason, we will be giving Brissett considerable playing time i would imagine, next in line is Walker. If Kelly really lights it up in training camp then maybe he sees some preseason action ahead of Walker, but i would be highly surprised if he were to get anything more than 4th maybe 3rd quarter action throughout the entire preseason.

Kelly should get more looks than Phil Walker. Way higher ceiling.

omahacolt
06-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Kelly should get more looks than Phil Walker. Way higher ceiling.

Fuck that

smitty46953
06-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Lot of conversation for a "Camp Arm" if ya ask me, we must be bored :cool:

Brylok
08-27-2019, 01:44 PM
BUMP

So, looking back now, is this around the time when the Colts knew that Luck was going to quit? At the time this thread was created, the draft was over and they had Luck, Brisket and Walker on the roster. I mean, why else would they add Kelley? True, it might have been a favor to his dad, but in light of the recent events...

DrSpaceman
08-27-2019, 03:14 PM
BUMP

So, looking back now, is this around the time when the Colts knew that Luck was going to quit? At the time this thread was created, the draft was over and they had Luck, Brisket and Walker on the roster. I mean, why else would they add Kelley? True, it might have been a favor to his dad, but in light of the recent events...

Just a favor, I think

But it may turn out great, just stumbling on a gem

He has looked great in preseason. If Brissett turns out not to perform this year and they want another option, he is there to step up

JAFF
08-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Just a favor, I think

But it may turn out great, just stumbling on a gem

He has looked great in preseason. If Brissett turns out not to perform this year and they want another option, he is there to step up

While he’s had an up-and-down preseason he’s not playing any extended time behind the number one offense of line . Head coach and the offense of coordinator have a lot of experience in common sense so if Kelly has the play they will give him things he can do

Oldcolt
08-27-2019, 06:06 PM
I would say this is nuts but shit like this does occasionally happen (from zilch to top qb) Unitas is the greatest example but there are others (Warner comes to mind). The football gods taketh away, they sure as hell need to give the Colts something back. Who knows. It keeps me watching anyway.

apballin
08-27-2019, 10:37 PM
BUMP

I agree this is when they knew it could get ugly