PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Draft Class Scouting Reports

Dam8610
04-30-2019, 12:03 AM
CB Rock Ya-Sin, Temple

http://i66.tinypic.com/552pkx.jpg

Strengths
Versatile, capable of playing both man and zone well. Fluid hips allow for quick changes of direction which helps him to mirror receivers and stick to his man in coverage. Tracks the ball well in the air, putting himself in position to make plays he shouldn't have opportunities to make. Can run deep with receivers and does not get beat over the top in man or deep zone. Fights for the football when in the air, does not let the receiver make a clean catch. Not afraid to come up in run support, always goes after a ballcarrier with aggression.

Weaknesses
Occasionally struggles to get a successful jam in press man coverage. Is forced to use athleticism to cover for technique mistakes at times. Isn't always the surest tackler, especially against the run.

Other
Team Captain. Awarded single digit number which are given to the nine players deemed "toughest" on the team at Temple.

Player Comparison
Richard Sherman

HoosierinFL
04-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Good stuff. Tackling technique can be coached. And he won't be asked to play press man coverage.

Dam8610
04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
LB Ben Banogu, TCU

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_12_desktop/colts/dxuyhofmxvs4pdkbakhq

Strengths
Plays fast and physical. Can track down ballcarriers and displays sideline to sideline speed. Showed ability to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Disciplined run defender who maintains control of his gap and often makes plays in the backfield. Uses athleticism primarily to generate pressure on QB, made his biggest impact on film as a pass rusher using interior stunts and delayed blitzes. Spies well. Relentless motor, does not quit on plays which led to some effort sacks and running down ballcarriers from behind. Punches at the ball and attempts to create turnovers.

Weaknesses
Has no rush plan and very rudimentary rush moves. Needs a lot of work in this area. Snap was typically over if he went up against a tackle who got hands on him. Sticks to blocks, needs to find a way to effectively shed and wrap up ballcarriers more frequently. Doesn't always have the best tackling form, which leads to the occasional missed tackle.

Other
First team All Big 12 in 2017 and 2018.

Player Comparison
T.J. Watt

Luck4Reich
04-30-2019, 06:58 PM
The two players I'm most excited to watch are Banogu and Campbell

Dam8610
04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
WR Parris Campbell OSU

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/S_-gh7b8s7cTYDcXKYGsBBq5VKM=/0x0:3557x2665/1200x800/filters:focal(1495x1049:2063x1617)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/63255151/usa_today_11917808.0.jpg

Strengths
Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Playmaker. Any touch can end in a TD. Turns short routes into big plays routinely with speed and athleticism. Very capable of making defenders miss in the open field. Rarely drops a catchable ball. Adjusts routes based on coverage defense runs, is often able to find the soft spot in a zone defense. When he blocks, good blocker who can help a runner turn a short or medium gain into a long gain.

Weaknesses
Did not show the ability to run the full route tree in college. Route running could use work, ideally cuts would be sharper and steps would not be wasted. Occasionally does not give full effort on a play if he knows the ball is not coming his way and has missed run blocks that could potentially spring big plays as a result.

Other
Team Captain in 2017 and 2018. First team All Big Ten 2018.

Player Comparison
Tyreek Hill

Coltsalr
04-30-2019, 09:16 PM
LB Ben Banogu, TCU

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_12_desktop/colts/dxuyhofmxvs4pdkbakhq

Strengths
Plays fast and physical. Can track down ballcarriers and displays sideline to sideline speed. Showed ability to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Disciplined run defender who maintains control of his gap and often makes plays in the backfield. Uses athleticism primarily to generate pressure on QB, made his biggest impact on film as a pass rusher using interior stunts and delayed blitzes. Spies well. Relentless motor, does not quit on plays which led to some effort sacks and running down ballcarriers from behind. Punches at the ball and attempts to create turnovers.

Weaknesses
Has no rush plan and very rudimentary rush moves. Needs a lot of work in this area. Snap was typically over if he went up against a tackle who got hands on him. Sticks to blocks, needs to find a way to effectively shed and wrap up ballcarriers more frequently. Doesn't always have the best tackling form, which leads to the occasional missed tackle.

Other
First team All Big 12 in 2017 and 2018.

Player Comparison
T.J. Watt

Kevin Bowen said on his podcast that he sees Banogu being moved to SAM. Based off this report seems like that might be a better move than him staying at DE?

Chromeburn
04-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Kevin Bowen said on his podcast that he sees Banogu being moved to SAM. Based off this report seems like that might be a better move than him staying at DE?

Heard Ballard tonight say they will play him at SAM at MIKE and on third down they will move him around and experiment. When talking about him he said TCU moved him all over the place, as LB, as EDGE, as 3-tech. He said he was excelling at all positions when out there, has a jack of all trades value.

Dam8610
05-01-2019, 12:21 AM

I think that will be his best NFL fit, at least initially while he improves his strength and learns pass rush moves, at which point a transition to DE could be feasible. That's why my player comparison for him was T.J. Watt. High energy, high motor tweener that has the athleticism to get after the QB with improved play strength and pass rush technique. Watt is the high end outcome of that type of player.

Heard Ballard tonight say they will play him at SAM at MIKE and on third down they will move him around and experiment. When talking about him he said TCU moved him all over the place, as LB, as EDGE, as 3-tech. He said he was excelling at all positions when out there, has a jack of all trades value.

So they already envision him supplanting Walker on nickel sub packages? They certainly have a lot of confidence in his athletic ability. Personally, I'd have Okereke taking that role if anyone from this draft.

Chromeburn
05-01-2019, 12:30 AM
I think that will be his best NFL fit, at least initially while he improves his strength and learns pass rush moves, at which point a transition to DE could be feasible. That's why my player comparison for him was T.J. Watt. High energy, high motor tweener that has the athleticism to get after the QB with improved play strength and pass rush technique. Watt is the high end outcome of that type of player.

So they already envision him supplanting Walker on nickel sub packages? They certainly have a lot of confidence in his athletic ability. Personally, I'd have Okereke taking that role if anyone from this draft.

I believe he said Okereke will play mike and sam. More mike though. He didn't use the word supplant though. I think he sees them all getting playing time. Talked about how they were thin at linebacker at one point last year because everyone was hurt. They had a long meeting about it at the end of the year and wanted to add depth, speed, and length. Said they were just getting the pieces for Eberflus and that he would figure out how to use them. Said they were still a 4-3 tampa-2 system, but it was really Eberflus' unique spin on it. I got the impression guys are going to move around a lot and some guys may have multiple positions.

Dam8610
05-01-2019, 01:37 AM
I believe he said Okereke will play mike and sam. More mike though. He didn't use the word supplant though. I think he sees them all getting playing time. Talked about how they were thin at linebacker at one point last year because everyone was hurt. They had a long meeting about it at the end of the year and wanted to add depth, speed, and length. Said they were just getting the pieces for Eberflus and that he would figure out how to use them. Said they were still a 4-3 tampa-2 system, but it was really Eberflus' unique spin on it. I got the impression guys are going to move around a lot and some guys may have multiple positions.

I think we may see some 3-3-5 nickel packages this year, maybe even some 2-4-5 packages. They certainly have the personnel for it now.

JAFF
05-01-2019, 05:54 AM
Good stuff. Tackling technique can be coached. And he won't be asked to play press man coverage.

Tackling is all about heart. It hurts.

omahacolt
05-01-2019, 07:25 AM
I really don’t see the hype with Banogu.

YDFL Commish
05-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Would a more athletic Marcus Washington comparison be fair for Banogu?

VeveJones007
05-01-2019, 10:14 AM

He's the one pick I'm hesitant about. Seems like it was too high to take a guy who they're largely projecting based on a position change.

omahacolt
05-01-2019, 10:21 AM

I hope he can be that. I had the same thought on Sunday when trying to picture what he could be

GoBigBlue88
05-01-2019, 11:06 AM

He's a super-athlete, basically. YMMV on what that actually suggests as a player.

https://twitter.com/JayVeeThree/status/1122349811275948032

Oldcolt
05-01-2019, 11:17 AM
I think this may be a very good draft class. I can also say that this roster is so good that I cannot see one guy who is a guaranteed starter. There are guys who I think will be starting, even start on opening day. There is just nobody I would pencil in as a starter right now. When was the last time that was true? Maybe 2010 but that was after 2009 when we should have been undefeated. We are starting to develop depth!!

rcubed
05-01-2019, 01:51 PM
I think this may be a very good draft class. I can also say that this roster is so good that I cannot see one guy who is a guaranteed starter. There are guys who I think will be starting, even start on opening day. There is just nobody I would pencil in as a starter right now. When was the last time that was true? Maybe 2010 but that was after 2009 when we should have been undefeated. We are starting to develop depth!!

What do you mean you cant see one guaranteed starter? On the whole roster or from the draft pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chromeburn
05-01-2019, 02:17 PM
He's a super-athlete, basically. YMMV on what that actually suggests as a player.

https://twitter.com/JayVeeThree/status/1122349811275948032

That looks like a nerd stat for nerds.

Chromeburn
05-01-2019, 02:19 PM
What do you mean you cant see one guaranteed starter? On the whole roster or from the draft pics?

Did you see a guaranteed starter before the draft? Even first round picks at whatever position I was wondering if they would be a starter. SAM was the easiest position to project I thought, and that is s position on the field only 30% of the time.

Oldcolt
05-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Obviously the draft picks.

VeveJones007
05-01-2019, 02:40 PM

He means from the draft picks.

Oldcolt
05-01-2019, 03:42 PM
To be a little clearer. On the first day of practice, after last years draft, both Nelson and Leonard lined up with the first team. I don't think anyone will be lining up from this draft on the first team at the first practice. I am not saying that none of the draft picks will start for us this year. I actually expect a couple of them to earn (and that is the key) a starting position sometime this year, maybe even the first game. I was attempting to give props for us beginning to develop some depth on this roster.

Puck
05-01-2019, 05:53 PM
I hope he can be that. I had the same thought on Sunday when trying to picture what he could be

Awesome. Because you thought the D last yr was going to suck. So we’re on the right track.

Butter
05-01-2019, 08:37 PM

I think there is a very good chance Campbell is the primary WR3/Slot from day one, maybe not technically a starter.

Luck4Reich
05-01-2019, 09:05 PM
I think there is a very good chance Campbell is the primary WR3/Slot from day one, maybe not technically a starter.

Agree with this. Reich will use his speed every chance his gets too. Dude is a homerun threat and will exploit defenses.

Coltsalr
05-01-2019, 09:17 PM
WR Parris Campbell OSU

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/S_-gh7b8s7cTYDcXKYGsBBq5VKM=/0x0:3557x2665/1200x800/filters:focal(1495x1049:2063x1617)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/63255151/usa_today_11917808.0.jpg

Strengths
Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Playmaker. Any touch can end in a TD. Turns short routes into big plays routinely with speed and athleticism. Very capable of making defenders miss in the open field. Rarely drops a catchable ball. Adjusts routes based on coverage defense runs, is often able to find the soft spot in a zone defense. When he blocks, good blocker who can help a runner turn a short or medium gain into a long gain.

Weaknesses
Did not show the ability to run the full route tree in college. Route running could use work, ideally cuts would be sharper and steps would not be wasted. Occasionally does not give full effort on a play if he knows the ball is not coming his way and has missed run blocks that could potentially spring big plays as a result.

Other
Team Captain in 2017 and 2018. First team All Big Ten 2018.

Player Comparison
Tyreek Hill

In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?

YDFL Commish
05-01-2019, 09:25 PM
This isn't Phillip Dorsett.

Chromeburn
05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?

I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.

Butter
05-01-2019, 09:49 PM

Without the migraines.

Dam8610
05-01-2019, 11:41 PM
LB Bobby Okereke, Stanford

https://i.imgur.com/boupLMG.jpg

Strengths
Reads the play very well and usually puts himself in good position by diagnosing the play. Often gets downhill quickly against the run and regularly demonstrates sideline to sideline speed. Often shot gaps and made plays in the backfield against the run. Excels at delayed blitzes and will put pressure on the QB from a spy position or a delayed blitz. Excels in coverage, both man and zone. Stanford regularly matched him up with receivers and he was rarely beat. Also regularly showed ability to run with backs and tight ends. Reads the QB's eyes in zone and puts himself in position to make plays regularly. Helped to create several coverage sacks for Stanford.

Weaknesses
Needs to improve play strength and use length better to shed blocks. When blocked, struggles to shed and gets pushed back. Easily washed out of plays by blocking far too often, allowing large running lanes to open. Misses far too many open field tackles, at times because of struggling to shed blocks. Occasionally bites on play fakes and takes a false step forward.

Other
Team Captain. All PAC 12 Honorable Mention 2017 and 2018

Player Comparison
Eric Kendricks

Dam8610
05-01-2019, 11:58 PM

I didn't like where he was picked. I thought 49 was a couple rounds early for him. He's got traits, though, so maybe the coaches can turn him into a player.

It would certainly be a more likely comp than mine, but my comps are based on best case scenario. I see Banogu's ceiling as T.J. Watt, so a more athletic Marcus Washington is a much more likely outcome.

Honestly? Ability to catch the ball, elusiveness, and tackle breaking ability. Dorsett had good straight line speed, but he was small and didn't make defenders miss. Campbell plays fast, but he can also elude or run over defenders when he needs to. Also bear in mind Hill is the best case scenario comp. And to be clear, that's on the field only. Campbell is an incredibly high character guy.

So does NFL.com. I try not to use the same comps as they do. I also don't really like comparing Campbell to Hill or Harvin because he's nothing like them off the field and could even be a team leader in time.

Without the migraines.

So much this. Campbell is only potentially like Hill on the field. Can't stress that enough.

YDFL Commish
05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
It would certainly be a more likely comp than mine, but my comps are based on best case scenario. I see Banogu's ceiling as T.J. Watt, so a more athletic Marcus Washington is a much more likely outcome.

I always thought that Marcus Washington was a pretty good player for us especially from the pass rush standpoint.

I think the reason the Colts moved on from Marcus Washington and moved Thornton to SAM for 2004 was because Washington offered nothing in pass defense.

If Banogu can produce like Washington, and give us decent play in pass defense, then it's a good pick.

Coltsalr
05-02-2019, 06:35 PM
This isn't Phillip Dorsett.

I'm aware. In fact, I even said this:

And this:

Without the migraines.

Right after he was drafted last Friday night:

Campbell was my favorite WR besides the Ole Miss boys.

He could be Percy Harvin without the migraines. The packages we could make with Hines/Campbell could be downright scary.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=118244#post118244

So yes, I'm well aware that he isn't Phil Dorsett, nor do I expect him to be.

Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Since Dam had taken the time to do a deep dive into Campbell, I was curious of what characteristics he might see in Campbell specifically. I have my own ideas (which it appears Dam largely confirmed) but I can't claim to have studied him extensively (as I alluded to in the above post, I'm an Ole Miss fan and I watch mostly SEC football. Dam I believe is a Purdue fan so I think he's watched more Campbell than I have in addition to the fact that he did a deep dive tape study).

Dewey 5
05-02-2019, 08:20 PM
I recently watched the Ohio State-TCU game on ESPNU to see Parris Campbell & Ben Banogu. Campbell displayed his blazzing speed. When he gets behind the D or beats his defender by a step, forget it, the guy is gone. Watching Banogu, & I realize it was just one game, he didn't impress that much. Seemed to be easily blocked when going head on & was always a tick late getting to qb Haskins. He did have one nice pressure that resuted in an incomplete pass because Haskins had to get rid of the ball early.

Not that it matters but Dre'Mont Jones looked very good. I still think he would have been a great fit.

Dam8610
05-03-2019, 12:44 AM
I recently watched the Ohio State-TCU game on ESPNU to see Parris Campbell & Ben Banogu. Campbell displayed his blazzing speed. When he gets behind the D or beats his defender by a step, forget it, the guy is gone. Watching Banogu, & I realize it was just one game, he didn't impress that much. Seemed to be easily blocked when going head on & was always a tick late getting to qb Haskins. He did have one nice pressure that resuted in an incomplete pass because Haskins had to get rid of the ball early.

Not that it matters but Dre'Mont Jones looked very good. I still think he would have been a great fit.

I've heard that game was Banogu's worst tape.

Discflinger
05-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Which one of you guys is Chris?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/3/18527069/is-parris-campbell-another-phillip-dorsett

Dewey 5
05-03-2019, 08:37 PM
I've heard that game was Banogu's worst tape.

Could have been. Ohio State isn't a walk in the park but he'll be facing better competition every Sunday in the NFL. We should not be to harsh on this guy in year one. I get that we live in the right now world but there is nothing wrong with a player developing & getting acclimated to NFL football. Nothing at all,

Chromeburn
05-04-2019, 01:16 AM
I'm aware. In fact, I even said this:

And this:

Right after he was drafted last Friday night:

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=118244#post118244

So yes, I'm well aware that he isn't Phil Dorsett, nor do I expect him to be.

Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Since Dam had taken the time to do a deep dive into Campbell, I was curious of what characteristics he might see in Campbell specifically. I have my own ideas (which it appears Dam largely confirmed) but I can't claim to have studied him extensively (as I alluded to in the above post, I'm an Ole Miss fan and I watch mostly SEC football. Dam I believe is a Purdue fan so I think he's watched more Campbell than I have in addition to the fact that he did a deep dive tape study).

I think he will be ok. Dorsett was soft. He just didn’t work enough to get open and get yac. You can tell Campbell was a rb before. He runs like it after the catch. Also he can contribute right away in the short passing game and screen game, sweeps etc. As he develops as a receiver in other areas.

One thing that concerned me was he only caught one pass over 20 yards. But he was so ridiculously effective in his role, they didn’t need him to, anyway, he is a few years away from being a complete receiver. But he should have an impact on certain plays right away.

YDFL Commish
05-04-2019, 10:04 AM
I think he will be ok. Dorsett was soft. He just didn’t work enough to get open and get yac. You can tell Campbell was a rb before. He runs like it after the catch. Also he can contribute right away in the short passing game and screen game, sweeps etc. As he develops as a receiver in other areas.

One thing that concerned me was he only caught one pass over 20 yards. But he was so ridiculously effective in his role, they didn’t need him to, anyway, he is a few years away from being a complete receiver. But he should have an impact on certain plays right away.

Urban Meyer's offenses rarely take shots down the field. How many NFL QB's have his offenses produced?

Alex Smith, and it took years for him to develop and has never been known as a downfield passer.

Campbell will not have a problem getting open deep.

Luck4Reich
05-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Urban Meyer's offenses rarely take shots down the field. How many NFL QB's have his offenses produced?

Alex Smith, and it took years for him to develop and has never been known as a downfield passer.

Campbell will not have a problem getting open deep.

From what I saw Campbell helped his QB out a lot. I think he and Luck will complement each other nicely.

Luck4Reich
05-04-2019, 02:24 PM

He will be getting the ball thrown to him from a proven NFL QB in Luck. I'm not sold on Haskins at all. Campbell should thrive with Luck at QB

DrSpaceman
05-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Interview yesterday I heard on ESPN, specifically asked about the Colts draft class and the main thing they mentioned is all these guys have speed, the team should be much faster on offense and defense.

I love the combination of TY and Campbell. I think they will be challenging to cover both, will be much harder to double up on TY making sure he doesn't beat a team deep when you have Campbell to consider as well

Throw in then Doyle/Ebron at TE to consider as well and it becomes a match up nightmare for the defenses.

Puck
05-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Interview yesterday I heard on ESPN, specifically asked about the Colts draft class and the main thing they mentioned is all these guys have speed, the team should be much faster on offense and defense.

I love the combination of TY and Campbell. I think they will be challenging to cover both, will be much harder to double up on TY making sure he doesn't beat a team deep when you have Campbell to consider as well

Throw in then Doyle/Ebron at TE to consider as well and it becomes a match up nightmare for the defenses.

Dont forget Cain . He ran a 4.43 at combine. I know that is per injury but if he can run a 4.4 he is probably faster than TY right now. TY was a 4.3 guy at combine but I assume he is not that fast now.

Be scary to see all 3 on the field at the same time.

Obviously if Cain comes back healthy.

YDFL Commish
05-05-2019, 10:54 AM

I would throw Hines into that equation as well. Can you imagine 1st down and a team in it's base defense, with Hines and Campbell both lined up in the backfield?

What if they both ran wheel routes? How the fuck does the defense cover that?

Chromeburn
05-05-2019, 11:19 AM
He will be getting the ball thrown to him from a proven NFL QB in Luck. I'm not sold on Haskins at all. Campbell should thrive with Luck at QB

Haskins was a solid college QB and a great deep ball thrower. It wasn’t the QB. I would probably blame how they used him if anything.

Chromeburn
05-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Dont forget Cain . He ran a 4.43 at combine. I know that is per injury but if he can run a 4.4 he is probably faster than TY right now. TY was a 4.3 guy at combine but I assume he is not that fast now.

Curious to see if Fountain has developed more. He is a great athlete also.

JAFF
05-05-2019, 04:51 PM

TY was getting behind guys all last year on a bum leg. He's still got some go in him

Luck4Reich
05-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Haskins was a solid college QB and a great deep ball thrower. It wasn’t the QB. I would probably blame how they used him if anything.

Yes, while true , a lot of solid college QBs never make it or prove to be an NFL QB. Haskins may but Luck already is.

Puck
05-05-2019, 07:10 PM
TY was getting behind guys all last year on a bum leg. He's still got some go in him

Oh I agree. But still don’t think he has a 4.3 in him But he is plenty fast enough

Crazy to think TY might be the slow guy

smitty46953
05-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Oh I agree. But still don’t think he has a 4.3 in him But he is plenty fast enough

Other teams will probably think same thing !!! :cool:

JAFF
05-06-2019, 05:51 AM

I don't care about a number. 4.3 in shorts doesn't mean much, if you can't evade the D.

TY makes PLAYS. He has more 150 yard games than anyone in Colt history, because he has game speed. When it counts. He's the only proven WR the Colts have and while injured he still got behind defenses.

When the kid from OSU makes plays against NFL defenses, I'll be impressed.

YDFL Commish
05-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Here are the 40 times for our major weapons:

TY Hilton 4.34, Pro Day
Parris Campbell 4.31, Combine
Nyheim Hines 4.38, Combine
Marlon Mack 4.50, Combine
Eric Ebron 4.60, Combine

I think we got some guys that can run Freaks.

Dam8610
05-06-2019, 07:57 PM
S Khari Willis, MSU

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2018/09/01/PDTF/e855db3b-9402-4a34-adff-4719a1f18396-GTY_1025637784.jpg?width=534&height=712&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Strengths
Excels in both man and zone coverage. Quick diagnosis of plays puts him in good position on most plays. Reads QB's eyes for clues and will occasionally jump throws as a result, especially on short and intermediate routes. Sticks to his man in coverage usually, and contests most balls thrown in his direction. Relentless motor, does not give up on plays and puts himself in positions to succeed as a result. Takes good angles in pursuit and rarely lets a receiver get behind him. Play speed is fine.

Weaknesses
Needs to improve functional play strength and block shedding ability, blocked too often by WRs. Far too many missed tackles in the open field, especially against the run. Gets too aggressive against the run at times and will overpursue and take himself out of the play.

Other
Team Captain. Academic All Big Ten. Was Keynote Speaker at Big Ten Kickoff Luncheon 2018.

Player Comparison
Harrison Smith

Dam8610
05-06-2019, 08:08 PM
The interesting thing to me about Banogu, Okereke, Willis, and Tell (who I've only read about, not yet watched) is that all of these guys seem to have functional play strength and tackling issues. The Colts must have confidence in their strength and conditioning staff and coaching staff to get that specific issue fixed, because the other trait all of those players share is an ability to fly around the field and make plays.

Also interesting to note, the film I watched on Khari Willis indicates a much different player than I read about in scouting reports. He's a strong safety in that I don't think he should be playing deep zone often, but he's not terrible at it, and he's actually really good in coverage. He's also not nearly the enforcer scouting reports will lead you to believe. He'll get hard hits in on receivers and tight ends, but while he's willing in run support, he's not the best at it and will need to improve that aspect of his game.

Chromeburn
05-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Early word out of rookie minicamp:

Campbell looks like the best player on the field and is catching everything thrown at him. Short, intermediate, and deep passes.

Khari Willis looks very good in one on one drills.

Let the overreaction and hype begin.

Luck4Reich
05-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Campbell looks like the best player on the field and is catching everything thrown at him. Short, intermediate, and deep passes.

Superbowl Bitches!!:cool:

DrSpaceman
05-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Superbowl!!

19-0!!

Chromeburn
05-08-2019, 02:48 PM
The interesting thing to me about Banogu, Okereke, Willis, and Tell (who I've only read about, not yet watched) is that all of these guys seem to have functional play strength and tackling issues. The Colts must have confidence in their strength and conditioning staff and coaching staff to get that specific issue fixed, because the other trait all of those players share is an ability to fly around the field and make plays.

Also interesting to note, the film I watched on Khari Willis indicates a much different player than I read about in scouting reports. He's a strong safety in that I don't think he should be playing deep zone often, but he's not terrible at it, and he's actually really good in coverage. He's also not nearly the enforcer scouting reports will lead you to believe. He'll get hard hits in on receivers and tight ends, but while he's willing in run support, he's not the best at it and will need to improve that aspect of his game.

I think a lot of those media scouting reports suffer from group think. A few people probably set the evaluation and it spreads. I wonder how many just copy evaluations from someone else. Or many of them just go to the same sources for the evaluations. Kind of like eyeglasses. Only a few companies in China make eyeglasses then they just slap whatever logo on it at the end.

Pez
05-08-2019, 03:15 PM
If half these picks pan out and we were the 11th best defense last year.... well... holy crap. I'm having a very hard time controlling my enthusiasm.

Justin Houston isn't perfect and is perhaps past prime, but should be significant competition behind hunt and sheard.

Really excited about Ya-Sin at corner. Speed, Okereke, Banogu at LB next to Leonard.

2004, 2005 I remember the defense being so fun to watch, again enthusiasm issues.

Oldcolt
05-08-2019, 04:00 PM
If half these picks pan out and we were the 11th best defense last year.... well... holy crap. I'm having a very hard time controlling my enthusiasm.

Justin Houston isn't perfect and is perhaps past prime, but should be significant competition behind hunt and sheard.

Really excited about Ya-Sin at corner. Speed, Okereke, Banogu at LB next to Leonard.

2004, 2005 I remember the defense being so fun to watch, again enthusiasm issues.

Completely agree. It's been a very long time since I've actually been excited about a Colt defense. The last Colt defense I felt confident about as being able to dominate might have been 1969. I've got early baby inklings that might happen here.

Pez
05-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Completely agree. It's been a very long time since I've actually been excited about a Colt defense. The last Colt defense I felt confident about as being able to dominate might have been 1969. I've got early baby inklings that might happen here.

Even my guarded and uninformed perceptions are the Ballard killed this draft. Is it really conceivable that we will end the year with a top 5 defense?

This takes so much pressure off Luck and the rest of the offense where we have improved as well, especially at WR where I'm looking forward to Campbell's rookie season as well as getting Cain and Doyle back, Mo Allie-Cox's sophomore season, Fun Cheese...

YDFL Commish
05-08-2019, 05:22 PM

The '71 defense was pretty damn good.

GoBigBlue88
05-08-2019, 11:34 PM
I love the draft from a skillset position, but guys, we're looking at Ya-Sin competing for a starting spot (not given) and Banogu/Okereke being rotational players. Everyone else (on defense) is depth with potential and bolsters special teams play. Let's just be careful about expecting much from Speed, Tell etc. this year.

I think the upside is more: special teams +++, a few guys allow them to be more multiple in packages, and this team can now maybe survive a 2-3 week Darius Leonard absence if need be. I don't think this is a top 10 defense yet, especially facing the QBs they will. Maybe next year, if players develop!

Racehorse
05-09-2019, 06:49 AM
I love the draft from a skillset position, but guys, we're looking at Ya-Sin competing for a starting spot (not given) and Banogu/Okereke being rotational players. Everyone else (on defense) is depth with potential and bolsters special teams play. Let's just be careful about expecting much from Speed, Tell etc. this year.

I think the upside is more: special teams +++, a few guys allow them to be more multiple in packages, and this team can now maybe survive a 2-3 week Darius Leonard absence if need be. I don't think this is a top 10 defense yet, especially facing the QBs they will. Maybe next year, if players develop!

Not so fast! We will go 23-0, not even losing a preseason game. This team will cut players on the first cutdown that would start for any other team.

VeveJones007
05-09-2019, 10:49 AM

I think the difference between a defense ranked 11-15 and one ranked in the top 10 will be Turay & Lewis. Hopefully those two take a step up.

JAFF
05-09-2019, 03:58 PM
If he hits on half of his picks, it will be a very good draft.

Pez
05-09-2019, 07:21 PM
I think the difference between a defense ranked 11-15 and one ranked in the top 10 will be Turay & Lewis. Hopefully those two take a step up.Really dig on turay. Could be a high end player long term for us. This kind of thing is what the coming season nd next will allow us to start judging, how good is this regime at player development? Can Leonard get better? Can Walker get better. What did they do with Cain in the off season or is he still a rookie? What are we going to see from ebron now that he has confidence....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Luck4Reich
05-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Really dig on turay. Could be a high end player long term for us. This kind of thing is what the coming season nd next will allow us to start judging, how good is this regime at player development? Can Leonard get better? Can Walker get better. What did they do with Cain in the off season or is he still a rookie? What are we going to see from ebron now that he has confidence....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If just One of Turay or Lewis make a big jump it will be huge! I hope both can but dont expect both to make big ones. One of them would be great!

Discflinger
05-09-2019, 11:03 PM
I think Lewis played solid. Just worry about him with injuries. Turay just needs some confidence and he can play without second guessing himself.

YDFL Commish
05-10-2019, 12:05 PM
I think Lewis played solid. Just worry about him with injuries. Turay just needs some confidence and he can play without second guessing himself.

Confidence comes from production.