S Deionte Thompson
WR Kelvin Harmon
EDGE Anthony Nelson
EDGE Christian Miller
RB Justice Hill
DL Renell Wren

GoBigBlue88
04-26-2019, 11:51 PM
I like what Colts are doing defensively so far. I still have questions/concerns of course -- I don't see a consistent pass rush yet and I think another safety is mandatory -- but I love the concerted effort to get more multiple for Eberflus. On paper, this is a team that is better suited to cover the MOF, and can probably generate more pressure schematically with its LB corps than it did last year.

My biggest remaining questions:

1. Edge rush. I think they'll crush the pocket well, but so far, this draft is still asking me to place a lot of faith in Turay.

2. Safety depth. I have no issues with Geathers/Hooker as starting tandem, but you need to run with 3 good, consistent safeties in today's NFL -- or at least have a consistent dime option of some position -- and I don't trust Geathers to be healthy enough or Farley/Odum to be good enough to give me that magic number of 3.

3. X receiver. Nothing we didn't know, but so far, still a lot riding on Funchess being an answer. Good news on offense is that Colts have ample options over the middle, and a healthy Hilton (knock on wood!) will always stretch the field on one side. But I would like to see someone who can potentially unseat Funchess, at least at some point this year. No, I don't think it's wise to bet on that player being Deon Cain.

4. Are they really deep enough at OL? I think they almost have to draft Day 2 OL given future question marks, but more to the point, there is very little OT depth on this team.

5. Who is the returner? Chester Rogers did an admirable job last year, but I really don't want it to be him.

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 02:45 AM
I like what Colts are doing defensively so far. I still have questions/concerns of course -- I don't see a consistent pass rush yet and I think another safety is mandatory -- but I love the concerted effort to get more multiple for Eberflus. On paper, this is a team that is better suited to cover the MOF, and can probably generate more pressure schematically with its LB corps than it did last year.

1. Edge rush. I think they'll crush the pocket well, but so far, this draft is still asking me to place a lot of faith in Turay.

2. Safety depth. I have no issues with Geathers/Hooker as starting tandem, but you need to run with 3 good, consistent safeties in today's NFL -- or at least have a consistent dime option of some position -- and I don't trust Geathers to be healthy enough or Farley/Odum to be good enough to give me that magic number of 3.

3. X receiver. Nothing we didn't know, but so far, still a lot riding on Funchess being an answer. Good news on offense is that Colts have ample options over the middle, and a healthy Hilton (knock on wood!) will always stretch the field on one side. But I would like to see someone who can potentially unseat Funchess, at least at some point this year. No, I don't think it's wise to bet on that player being Deon Cain.

4. Are they really deep enough at OL? I think they almost have to draft Day 2 OL given future question marks, but more to the point, there is very little OT depth on this team.

5. Who is the returner? Chester Rogers did an admirable job last year, but I really don't want it to be him.

Strongly agree on 1, 2, and 4. WR is fine right now and they’ll probably add another guy to compete tomorrow.

5 is taken care of. Parris Campbell is the return man.

Dam8610
04-27-2019, 03:07 AM
Who is playing DT on this team? Are they running Margus Hunt out there every down?

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 03:15 AM
Who is playing DT on this team? Are they running Margus Hunt out there every down?

I’m sure they’ll add a guy tomorrow, but I wonder if they’re counting on Ward to some degree. They could also dip into free agency post draft and add some rotational pieces.

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 03:25 AM
I have a feeling we’ll see them take a QB in the 4th or 5th round tomorrow. Stidham, Jackson, and Finley are interesting options to back up Luck starting in 2020.

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 03:31 AM
A few more names to watch out for:

TE Foster Moreau
S Jaquan Johnson
WR Preston Williams

QBs:
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Tyree Jackson, Buffalo
Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
Ryan Finley, NC State
Gardner Minshew, Washington State
Brett Rypien, Boise State

JAFF
04-27-2019, 06:46 AM

They did resign him. And he's tall enough that even if he doesn't get to the QB, he makes him move to throw around him.

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Still a lot of intriguing EDGE options left: Christian Miller, D'Andre Walker, Jalen Jelks, Carl Granderson, Maxx Crosby etc.

I agree about adding safety depth, but there are some intriguing guys there as well: Amani Hooker, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Deionte Thompson, Chase Hansen.

X-Receiver, yeah I would like to see a guy that could stretch the field there as well.

Agree about the OL depth as well, especially at center or multidimensional Joe Haeg type guy.

I think the returner might be Paris Campbell. Chester Rogers roster spot is definitely in jeopardy.

My biggest concern is that we didn't draft a DT, and it's barren wasteland for DT's the rest of the draft. I don't like Renell Wren as an option either. I don't like guys that fail to produce until their senior season. It's not like he was playing at Bama.

I gotta believe that Nate Hairston needs to step it up to keep his roster spot. At the very least, I hope I never have to see Chris Milton trotted out onto the field on defense.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 09:28 AM
I have a feeling we’ll see them take a QB in the 4th or 5th round tomorrow. Stidham, Jackson, and Finley are interesting options to back up Luck starting in 2020.

You think they carry three on roster? :cool:

Discflinger
04-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Just seeing the name Chauncey Gardner makes me chuckle every time. Parents must have been huge Peter Sellers fans. I bet their other kid is named Dr. Strangelove.

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 09:44 AM
You think they carry three on roster? :cool:

Nope...they will try stash one away on the PS.

omahacolt
04-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Wr and safety appear to still have some good talent available

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Well, Suh is still available in free agency...

Hoopsdoc
04-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Colts remaining picks.

Rd 4, 129
Rd 4, 135
Rd 5, 144
Rd 5, 164
Rd 6, 199
Rd 7, 240

Followed by UDFA’s.

apballin
04-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Well, Suh is still available in free agency...

I’d take him but Ballard seems to be about character matching this team so I doubt we’ll sign him but DT has to be addressed or we better jump out to a lead every game

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Damn I hoped Hakeem Butler would somehow become a Colt, really liked him. :cool:

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Bengals select QB Ryan Finley, this kids decent. Perhaps Dalton will not be a Bengal QB of future. :cool:

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Saints Cornerback Marshon Lattimore Called Kyle Murray a midget lol

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Saints traded pick 116 and 168 to #Jets for pick 105.

They're picking Safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. :cool:

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Colts trade up :cool:

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Saints traded pick 116 and 168 to #Jets for pick 105.

They're picking Safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. :cool:

As I’ve said before, I liked Gardner-Johnson a lot but the Colts had plenty of chances at him and didn’t take it.

Wonder if we’re taking Hooker at Safety here though...

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Must be someone they really want steep price

Oakland trades: Pick 109.

Colts trade: 129, 135.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:30 PM
With Pick No. 109, the #Colts take S-Khari Willis (Michigan State).

Big Smooth

Ouch.

smitty46953
Head scratcher to me :cool:

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 12:31 PM
As I’ve said before, I liked Gardner-Johnson a lot but the Colts had plenty of chances at him and didn’t take it.

Wonder if we’re taking Hooker at Safety here though...

Nope, Khari Willis, a Safety nonetheless, however.

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:33 PM
NFL network is so far fucking behind.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Ouch.

Not that big of a sacrific

GoBigBlue88
His athletic profile is really uninspiring.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1102692178168549376

Not everyone needs to be Malik Hooker, but the Colts already have Matthias Farley, you know?

smitty46953
My first WTF of the draft :eek:

Maniac
Definitely going after team needs. Don't know much about him, but the Colts must love the kid.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 12:35 PM

The trade follows the trade value chart. Ballard could have asked for the Raider's 7th rounder to be included but otherwise it was spot on.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 12:35 PM
NFL network is so far fucking behind.

Espn or abc?

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Another senior bowl standout. All the TE’s at the senior bowl said he was the toughest DB they played against. Gave them the most problems.

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Espn or abc?

Yeah, my bad it was ESPN.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 12:40 PM

Team captain
Best games were big games
Sure tackler

From Mel

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 12:42 PM
They are raving about the Colts draft on NFL radio. Said they worked out every safety in the draft.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Team captain
Best games were big games
Sure tackler

From Mel

Yes just hate trading up I guess :cool:

apballin
04-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Yea team leader gave epic senior speech, whatever that’s worth

Insurance behind geathers don’t know if he’s better than Farley or odum

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm always supremely skeptical when you tell me a guy's best traits are intensity and leadership ... and not production or athleticism.

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Kiper said the Colts have a grade A draft so far. Not that Mel Kiper knows what the hell he is talking about.

Hoopsdoc
04-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Yep. Seems like a steep price.

I don’t think Ballard makes a move like that without knowing pretty much for certain that his guy wasn’t gonna be there if he didn’t.

Also, I’ll defer on grading the pick. I think Ballard’s earned a little leeway.

Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:45 PM
a pre-combine bit on him

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Cowboys-30-Visits-Eyewitness-scouting-of-Michigan-State-safety-Khari-Willis-130812361/

So where does Willis sit right now? As a strong safety he’s No. 11 on draftscout.com and that site considers him to be a seventh-round pick. I think he made rise up draft boards a bit based on what I saw in East Lansing and his performance at the Senior Bowl. Based on what I read coming out of that week Willis did nothing but help his stock. And he could help it more by showing 4.4 speed at the combine. His draftscout.com profile shows a low 40 time of 4.48. If he can post that at the combine scouts will take further notice.

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:47 PM

For Ballard to trade up like that meant he really loved this guy.

Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:48 PM
https://spartanavenue.com/2019/04/24/michigan-state-football-where-spartans-land-2019-nfl-draft/3/

Mel Kiper has been high on Khari Willis for the past few weeks and the NFL draft expert has even ranked the senior safety the No. 50 overall prospect in this year’s class, stating that he could very well be selected in the second round.

Although he has the talent to go anywhere from rounds 2-4, I believe he’ll go closer to the back-end of that projection. Other experts aren’t so high on Willis, though. For example, CBS Sports has Willis listed as the No. 21 safety in the class, ESPN has him at No. 179 overall and Gil Brandt of NFL.com has him at No. 114 overall.

Willis could be picked anywhere, really, but I see him as a fourth round selection and there are a plethora of teams who could use a talented, aggressive safety with leadership skills both on and off the field.

The 2018 season was Willis’ best, recording a career-high 77 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, an interception and seven pass breakups. He proved to be an improved defender against the pass and that’s what NFL teams needed to see.

Khari is going to make some team very happy on Day 3 of the NFL draft.

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 12:48 PM

At certain point need to get rid of some of these picks. Otherwise just drafting guys to later cut them.

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Yep. Seems like a steep price.

I don’t think Ballard makes a move like that without knowing pretty much for certain that his guy wasn’t gonna be there if he didn’t.

Also, I’ll defer on grading the pick. I think Ballard’s earned a little leeway.

Yep, almost no one liked the Leonard pick and look what the fuck happened.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:49 PM
For Ballard to trade up like that meant he really loved this guy.

Yes guess he must, but I am not a fan of trading up at all for him :cool:

Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:50 PM

here or the "experts"? I remember people here liking the pick.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Hope you are right :cool:

Spike
04-27-2019, 12:52 PM

So called experts, Colt Freaks are smarter than them and I am not joking.

Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:54 PM
So called experts, Colt Freaks are smarter than them and I am not joking.

Absolutely. We have some smart people here, some smartasses, and some that are just asses. :D

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Absolutely. We have some smart people here, some smartasses, and some that are just asses. :D

Hmm ? :cool:

JAFF
04-27-2019, 12:59 PM

I get that. Its not money. Its getting the right guy. Give Ballard credit hes willing to use capital and get the guy they want

JAFF
04-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Yea team leader gave epic senior speech, whatever that’s worth

Insurance behind geathers don’t know if he’s better than Farley or odum

Best team leaders do their talking on the field. Unitas to the team every sunday, “talk is cheap, lets go play”.

Colt Classic
04-27-2019, 01:08 PM
The NFL Network panel said he's an "in the box" safety, so Bob Sanders-ish then? As they were saying that, the highlight reel only showed passes defended rather than sniffing out running plays.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Best team leaders do their talking on the field. Unitas to the team every sunday, “talk is cheap, lets go play”.

Talk is cheap from the wrong mouth. A good leader that leads by example can also speak and fire up a team.

Oldcolt
04-27-2019, 01:22 PM
They gave up a lot to get this guy. Must want him badly. You get the feeling Ballard targets certain guys and goes out and gets them (wouldn't trade out of 34, giving up two 4ths for Willis). Obviously time will tell but I do like how aggressive Ballard is going after who he wants. If he can nail 50% of these picks we should be on our way.

nate505
04-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Say what you want about the Colts moves (and I like them), but there is a theme of getting guys who are all of high quality character (at least as far as everyone knows), attitude, and who will make for a solid locker room.

Discflinger
04-27-2019, 01:31 PM
This must be where Ballard sees the talent drop.

Oldcolt
04-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Say what you want about the Colts moves (and I like them), but there is a theme of getting guys who are all of high quality character (at least as far as everyone knows), attitude, and who will make for a solid locker room.

It's really refreshing that Ballard said that he wanted a certain locker room last year and actually meant it, followed it up with actions. Being honest, trustworthy is a trait that does best if it is from the top down. It is impressive the way Ballard goes about his business

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 01:43 PM

But everyone at least acknowledged Leonard was dripping with athleticism and was an athletic scheme fit. Even people who called it a reach acknowledged how he tested, his wingspan etc.

Willis has none of that, which makes it perplexing to me.

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 01:51 PM
But everyone at least acknowledged Leonard was dripping with athleticism and was an athletic scheme fit. Even people who called it a reach acknowledged how he tested, his wingspan etc.

Willis has none of that, which makes it perplexing to me.

So he’s a healthier Geathers?

Oldcolt
04-27-2019, 01:55 PM
I agree it is perplexing. I think Discflinger probably got it right when he said that this is the point that Ballard must have seen a significant drop off in talent. It may not be entirely fair to compare the two. Athletes like Leonard don't often drop to the fourth round.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Round 5, No. 144 overall Colts select Marvell Tell :cool:

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 02:04 PM

Well, he’s more athletic at least...

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Do Tell:cool:

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 02:11 PM
No doubt Ballard doubling down on yesterday. They want to be more multiple, and they want better options for nickel and dime packages.

This really screams that they watched that KC tape and didn't like what they had on roster running with athletic MOF targets. Two safeties (one of whom is an obvious big nickel) and a MIKE really speak to that.

Still not sure where the rush comes from, but you probably weren't finding an answer on Day 3 anyway.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 02:11 PM
We will see how this all pans out next season. I'm very excited for.this team.

Racehorse
04-27-2019, 02:15 PM
I guess we won't see any real players taken for the rest of the day, except some team will draft a guy who will shock everyone, including the GM who drafted said player.

Butter
04-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Colts.com has Tell listed at CB

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Colts.com has Tell listed at CB

I would bet -- and this is just looking at size and profile -- he's a CB/S insofar as he's probably CB4 or CB5 but goal of being a Big Nickel defender, which is pretty hybrid anyway.

Probably does put some heat on Wilson to be consistent or be gone, though. Doubt he threatens him this year, but if Tell takes to the CB position and Wilson continues to be up and down...

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Wonder why ILB Mack Wilson from Bama has dropped so far? I heard Saban was pissed at him for leaving early? :cool:

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Tell looks like a big nickle to me. Khari looks like an in the box SS.

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Wonder why ILB Mack Wilson from Bama has dropped so far? I heard Saban was pissed at him for leaving early? :cool:

Overrated, not as physical as previous Bama backers. Good coverage LB, but has some weakness when he needs to be physical. Inflated by media because he played at Bama. Same with Dionte Thompson.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:34 PM

Alabama LB Mack Wilson's wait ends. Cleveland Browns take him No. 155 overall in Round 5. :cool:

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Overrated, not as physical as previous Bama backers. Good coverage LB, but has some weakness when he needs to be physical. Inflated by media because he played at Bama. Same with Dionte Thompson.

Anything on D'Andre Walker LB from Georgia? :cool:

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 02:39 PM

I also saw that Wilson had some "attitude" issues. Saban has been known to speak very candidly about his players.

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1122202680452104198

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Anything on D'Andre Walker LB from Georgia? :cool:

Very athletic backer, maybe not the best instincts. Some guys really like him such as Pat Kirwin. But I would take Okereke over him. Walker is more pass rush oriented, I can see Baltimore going after him.

I'm surprised Kelvin Harmon is still there.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Charles Omenihu is still on the board might help with pass rush. If I recall Dammy was real high on him? :cool:

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:43 PM
I also saw that Wilson had some "attitude" issues. Saban has been known to speak very candidly about his players.

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1122202680452104198

Didn't know that, but considering all the drama with Bama linebackers lately, not surprised people have waited.

omahacolt
Charles Omenihu is still on the board might help with pass rush. If I recall Dammy was real high on him? :cool:

Which is why he is still on the board

smitty46953
I'm surprised Kelvin Harmon is still there.

Yes me too :cool:

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:44 PM

I like him, maybe won't be a pass rush dynamo, but as a complete end he would be a solid grab here.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Which is why he is still on the board

Kinda thought same thing when I typed it :eek:

JAFF
04-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Talk is cheap from the wrong mouth. A good leader that leads by example can also speak and fire up a team.

That was the point with UNITAS. He did rah rah anybody. He'd physically kick WR out of the huddle if they dropped a ball.

Chromeburn
Lots of talent still out there. Terrill Hanks had a Leonard comp.

Omenihu DE, Kelvin Harmon WR, Gerald Willis DT, Jalen Jelks DE, Joe Jackson DE, Te'Von Conley LB

JAFF
They gave up a lot to get this guy. Must want him badly. You get the feeling Ballard targets certain guys and goes out and gets them (wouldn't trade out of 34, giving up two 4ths for Willis). Obviously time will tell but I do like how aggressive Ballard is going after who he wants. If he can nail 50% of these picks we should be on our way.

No, they didn't. Third day picks are not bars of gold

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Lots of talent still out there. Terrill Hanks had a Leonard comp.

Omenihu DE, Kelvin Harmon WR, Gerald Willis DT, Jalen Jelks DE, Joe Jackson DE, Te'Von Conley LB

Gerald Willis seems like a good fit right here.

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:53 PM
There goes Omenihu, I feel like guys we like have been going just a few picks ahead every round.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:54 PM
Indy SportsOne‏ @IndySportsOne

Charles Omenihu to the Texans. Colts wanted him.

:cool:

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Jelks still available

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Gerald Willis seems like a good fit right here.

Yes he would

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Colts select LB E.J. Speed Tarleton State with the No. 164 overall pick ? :cool:

Anyone ever heard of this guy?

nate505
04-27-2019, 02:58 PM
Well, they were looking for Speed in this draft

(ducks tomatoes)

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Well, they were looking for Speed in this draft

(ducks tomatoes)

Maybe Hooker will play better with Rock and Speed.:cool:

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Haven't found much on Speed yet 6-4 224, former WR in high school.

Discflinger
04-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Bleacher Report didn't even have anything on the guy.

Discflinger
Two felony charges though.

smitty46953
http://texannews.net/tarleton-linebacker-arrested-for-organized-criminal-activity/

Very surprised by this one :eek:

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Lmao dude has two felony counts of organized criminal activity. Chris Ballard mobbed up.

JAFF

Exposing himself or assault? Makes a difference

nate505
Haven't found much on Speed yet 6-4 224, former WR in high school.

First thing I saw was that he was charged with two counts of "organized criminal activity" but the charges were dropped when a grand jury chose not to press them.

At first I thought it was the one exception to the high character rule that Ballard seems to have, but hopefully they did their research and found that the charges were bunk.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Exposing himself or assault? Makes a difference

Had been accused of ID theft - opening credit card accounts in other people's names. They found about $11,000 worth of fraudulent purchases.

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Colts select LB E.J. Speed Tarleton State with the No. 164 overall pick ? :cool:

Anyone ever heard of this guy?

I think they threw everyone for a loop. NFL network says we drafted WR EJ Speed. Then he had 108 tackles and 10.5 sacks. Pretty impressive for a wide receiver. Either his team had a LOT of turnovers or he is doing his job wrong and should switch to defense.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Seriously? Doesnt that go against Ballard thinking?:cool:

Discflinger
04-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Seriously? Does that go against Ballard?:cool:

They brought up Chris Peterson, how Ballard gave him a chance and it worked out.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 03:10 PM
They brought up Chris Peterson, how Ballard gave him a chance and it worked out.

Well maybe he the felon whisperer.

nate505
04-27-2019, 03:12 PM
In fairness to this Speed guy, he was never formally charged with a crime. I'm not saying he didn't do it at all, but that part of the story should be included.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Starting to think that Ballard is throwing darts now :cool:

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Apparently Speed is a QB who converted to LB and worked out for teams at WR.

So just your typical question of whether a guy is a WR or a LB for your team.

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Apparently Speed is a QB who converted to LB and worked out for teams at WR.

So just your typical question of whether a guy is a WR or a LB for your team.

Is that all? No big deal.

Discflinger
04-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Hoping he gets absorbed into the locker room and reaches his potential. I think our locker room can fix some of those problems, especially when it's a rookie who feels like he is given a second chance and this is it.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Quick Hits
•Speed (6-4, 224) recorded 231 tackles, 36.0 tackles for losses, 11.5 sacks, 10 pass breakups, three interceptions and forced eight fumbles.
•He comes from Tarleton State, which is a Division-II school in Stephenville, Texas.
•Had an impressive pro day showing off 4.60 speed in the 40-yard dash and 6.9 in the three-cone drill.
•Was arrested on two counts of organized crime in 2018.

Fit with the Colts

There isn’t a lot known about Speed, but if those pro day numbers are true, he fits the Colts defense. He seems to be a bit undersized but had solid production at the Division-II level.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/27/indianapolis-colts-ej-speed-draft-instant-analysis/

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Kevin Bowen‏ @KBowen1070 · 25s25 seconds ago

EJ Speed says he’s a WILL linebacker.

He doesn’t want to talk about his past felony charges. Said he didn’t need to sell himself to teams off the field.

Speed on him as a player: “It’s like a fetish to me for making spectacular plays that I feel like no one else can make.”

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Speed is a scouts pick. There was a scout pounding on the table for him and convinced Ballard that the kid is worth the pick.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Speed is a scouts pick. There was a scout pounding on the table for him and convinced Ballard that the kid is worth the pick.

Yes, must have been :cool:

GoBigBlue88
04-27-2019, 03:33 PM
LB corps getting crowded. Wonder how many they'll carry / who doesn't make the cut.

WILL: Leonard, Speed?

MIKE: Walker, Okereke, Franklin?

SAM: Banogu, Adams?

And still have Moore/Thomas, who you figure they liked last year.

Oldcolt
04-27-2019, 03:35 PM
I'm more than willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the arrest. I believe Ballard does his due diligence and would not put his locker room in jeopardy for a 5th round pick. Ballard clearly wants an improvement on defense I hope he is going about it the right way

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 03:36 PM
LB corps getting crowded. Wonder how many they'll carry / who doesn't make the cut.

And still have Moore/Thomas, who you figure they liked last year.

Competition!

This is what Ballard has been preaching all along. Just keep acquiring good players and let them battle for starting spots and roster spots.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 03:38 PM

And still have Moore/Thomas, who you figure they liked last year.Good problem to have

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Zak Keefer‏Verified account @zkeefer

Colts owner Jim Irsay, as per tradition, has stopped by the media room during the Saturday of the draft. "We have something special going with a lot of young guys .... minus (Adam) ... and we're adding to that."

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Kevin Bowen‏ @KBowen1070 · 25s25 seconds ago

EJ Speed says he’s a WILL linebacker.

He doesn’t want to talk about his past felony charges. Said he didn’t need to sell himself to teams off the field.

Speed on him as a player: “It’s like a fetish to me for making spectacular plays that I feel like no one else can make.”

Guy has an RAS of 9.2. That is freakishly high. He fits his namesake. Seems he is looking for the best athletes he can find. His 10 yard, 20 yard, and 3 cone are all elite at 6'4. If you want speed in your LB, that is exactly where you want him to have it.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1122215023231815686?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1122215023231815686&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.colts.com%2Findex.php %3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Demb ed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMathBomb%2F status%2F1122215023231815686

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1122213390083076101

I think Ballard's method is just choose the guys with coolest names.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Available from my board: :cool:

Kelvin Harmon WR NC State
Emanuel Hall WR Missouri
Rodney Anderson RB Oklahoma
Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo
David Sills WR West Virginia
Elijah Holyfield RB Georgia
Beau Benzschawel OG WISC

Gerald Willis DT Miami
Isaiah Buggs DT Alabama
Te'von Coney LB Notre Dame
Terrill Hanks EDGE New Mexico State
Jalen Jelks EDGE Oregon
Tre Lamar LB Clemson
Kris Boyd CB Texas
Saivion Smith CB Alabama
Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Jordan Brailford EDGE Oklahoma State
Terry Beckner DT Missouri
Carl Granderson EDGE Wyoming
T.J. Edwards LB Wisconsin

Colt Classic
04-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Guy has an RAS of 9.2. That is freakishly high. He fits his namesake. Seems he is looking for the best athletes he can find. His 10 yard, 20 yard, and 3 cone are all elite at 6'4. If you want speed in your LB, that is exactly where you want him to have it.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1122215023231815686?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1122215023231815686&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.colts.com%2Findex.php %3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Demb ed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMathBomb%2F status%2F1122215023231815686

I've never looked into RAS until just now. Looking up several other picks who were compiled by that guy you linked shows that it looks like a fancy stat that doesn't really say much about whether or not they are a football player but its more of a number saying how likely it is that someone could've competed in the Olympics. First round picks sometimes are in the 5-6 RAS range, fifth rounders can have a 9.5 RAS. :rolleyes:

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 03:59 PM

If there are 2 things that Ballard seems to value in his picks is that RAS score and he's always mentioning how guys played and practiced at the senior bowl.

As a side note, Gerald Willis had a terrible RAS score. I wonder if he's even on Ballard's board?

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 04:01 PM
Joel A. Erickson‏Verified account @JoelAErickson

Irsay says Quenton Nelson wants the number of every player drafted so he can call them and tell them "what it means to wear the horseshoe"

JAFF
04-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Irsay says Quenton Nelson wants the number of every player drafted so he can call them and tell them "what it means to wear the horseshoe"

There's your leadership

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 04:04 PM

His first name is Elbert.

Spike
04-27-2019, 04:06 PM

Also to tell them to walk the straight and narrow or he will kick their ass. Love Q.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 04:21 PM
With the No. 199 pick, the Colts select Mississippi St. LB/DE Gerri Green :cool:

That's 9 picks so far, and 8 of them on defense.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 04:26 PM

Damn he is awesome. A bad ass that expects the same out of everyone. This is going to be a special team for years.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 04:26 PM

The defense needed an infusion of talent.

Training camp should be interesting.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Anyone else like Paul Adams out of Missouri at Rd7?

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 04:37 PM
There will be some interesting UFAs as well.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 04:38 PM
This should be the time to grab a LT to be the heir to Castonzo

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 04:38 PM
Kelvin Harmon to Redskins :cool:

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 04:43 PM
This should be the time to grab a LT to be the heir to Castonzo

Just my opinion, but I doubt the heir apparent to any starting left tackle job is still there in 7th round. But I could be wrong. :cool:

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Just my opinion, but I doubt the heir apparent to any starting left tackle job is still there in 7th round. But I could be wrong. :cool:

Agree 100%

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 04:56 PM
I've never looked into RAS until just now. Looking up several other picks who were compiled by that guy you linked shows that it looks like a fancy stat that doesn't really say much about whether or not they are a football player but its more of a number saying how likely it is that someone could've competed in the Olympics. First round picks sometimes are in the 5-6 RAS range, fifth rounders can have a 9.5 RAS. :rolleyes:

Well I am sorry it doesn't meet your exacting standards for a do it all stat. Its simply a compilation of their athletic scores from combine and pro day testing. There is nothing added in, or some proprietary stuff like PFF that you can't look at. It is simply an average of their testing, that is all. No it says nothing about their ability to play football. You look at their tape and stats from games to find that out.

As for your quick dismissal b/c some first rounders have 5-6 RAS (who exactly?). Considering you just looked into it just now, you might want to dig a little further. There might be exceptions to the rule, but most pro-bowl players test out very high on the RAS. And sure there are guys that are high and don't have success, but there are a lot more guys who have success and test out high than there are guys who test low and do have success. At the end of the day it is a tool in the evaluation, not the end all, but then again I never presented it as such.

Dam8610
04-27-2019, 05:04 PM
For those who mentioned I was high on Omenihu, you may have noticed I stopped talking about him after the combine. He was a Day 3 pick at a 4.9 40. Before the combine, several media outlets had him going round 1, not so much after.

Colt Classic
04-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Well I am sorry it doesn't meet your exacting standards for a do it all stat. Its simply a compilation of their athletic scores from combine and pro day testing. There is nothing added in, or some proprietary stuff like PFF that you can't look at. It is simply an average of their testing, that is all. No it says nothing about their ability to play football. You look at their tape and stats from games to find that out.

As for your quick dismissal b/c some first rounders have 5-6 RAS (who exactly?). Considering you just looked into it just now, you might want to dig a little further. There might be exceptions to the rule, but most pro-bowl players test out very high on the RAS. And sure there are guys that are high and don't have success, but there are a lot more guys who have success and test out high than there are guys who test low and do have success. At the end of the day it is a tool in the evaluation, not the end all, but then again I never presented it as such.

No thanks to the suggestion to dig further into it. It's a nerd stat that says what I would already know if I just looked at their combine numbers, but it's nice that it makes you feel well-educated on a given draft pick. As for who...just look at that guy's feed on the tweet you linked. He posted random RAS "reports" over the past few hours.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 05:13 PM
For those who mentioned I was high on Omenihu, you may have noticed I stopped talking about him after the combine. He was a Day 3 pick at a 4.9 40. Before the combine, several media outlets had him going round 1, not so much after.

Hang on........, no I wasn't worried about it. It's not like people think you know what you are talking about.

Dewey 5
04-27-2019, 05:32 PM
With the No. 199 pick, the Colts select Mississippi St. LB/DE Gerri Green :cool:

Practice squad guy with potential. Nothing wrong with that.

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 05:33 PM
No thanks to the suggestion to dig further into it. It's a nerd stat that says what I would already know if I just looked at their combine numbers, but it's nice that it makes you feel well-educated on a given draft pick. As for who...just look at that guy's feed on the tweet you linked. He posted random RAS "reports" over the past few hours.

Ok, whatever dude. You sound like an asshole.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Apparently the Colts just made a trade to get another pick in the 7th

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 05:48 PM
The Colts traded DT Hassan Ridgeway to the @Eagles in exchange for the 246th overall pick.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1122255327678824448?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Butter
04-27-2019, 05:48 PM
Apparently the Colts just made a trade to get another pick in the 7th

Traded Ridgeway

VeveJones007
04-27-2019, 05:50 PM
The Colts traded DT Hassan Ridgeway to the @Eagles in exchange for the 246th overall pick.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1122255327678824448?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Makes sense. He probably wasn’t going to make the final roster.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Ridgeway didn't play much this last year, Philly wanted him, so it's better than cutting him.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 05:59 PM
And they take a OT!!!!!!!!

Nailed it!

Barton from Utah.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-27-2019, 05:59 PM
The Colts select OT Jackson Barton from Utah with the 240th pick.

JAFF
04-27-2019, 06:00 PM

And who did they take!!!!

Butter
04-27-2019, 06:05 PM

Depth, it is pretty unlikely a7th and OT becomes a long-term starter at LT

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 06:06 PM
We’re apparently picking again, we traded Hassan Ridgeway to the Eagles for #246 overall.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Future All-Pro I guess LOL :rolleyes:

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Future All-Pro I guess LOL :rolleyes:

You mean hall of fame
-pat Mcafree

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 06:11 PM

I think you need a drink or three :cool:

Coltsalr
04-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Javon Patterson. Center. Ole Miss is the final pick at #246 overall.

HOTTY TODDY!

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Colts 2019 Draft :cool:

Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
Ben Banogu, DE/LB, TCU
Parris Campbell, WR, Oh St
Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford
Khari Willis, S, Mich State
Marvell Tell, S, USC
EJ Speed, LB, Tarleton St
Gerri Green, DE, Miss St
Jackson Barton, LT, Utah
Javon Patterson, C, Ole Miss

JAFF
04-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Depth, it is pretty unlikely a7th and OT becomes a long-term starter at LT

No, really? I was taking a shot a Puck for predicting the Colts would take a OT in the first two rounds.

I don't know shit about college players, that's why I watch the draft. And I think every body here has about the same ability to predict picks

Butter
04-27-2019, 06:15 PM
some competition for OL depth to end a primarily Defense draft is A-OK with me.

Spike
04-27-2019, 06:18 PM
NFL Network needs to stop telling stupid fucking stories and start talking about the picks. No one gives a shit about their stories, dumb fucks.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 06:22 PM
No, really? I was taking a shot a Puck for predicting the Colts would take a OT in the first two rounds.

I don't know shit about college players, that's why I watch the draft. And I think every body here has about the same ability to predict picks

I got 2 in draft game: Campbell in 2nd and Tell in 5th. Best ever done. Only had Nelson last year :cool:

Spike
04-27-2019, 06:24 PM
I got 2 in draft game: Campbell in 2nd and Tell in 5th. Best ever done. Only had Nelson last year :cool:

Damn, that is good Nostradamus. Congrats, well done Smitty.

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM

I guess that Ballard is a nerdy geek then. Because he uses some form of RAS in his evaluation process. He's mentioned often that history has shown that if players do not meet certain athletic thresholds, then their chances of being successful in the NFL are statistically not good.

It's not a tool to rank players as much as it is a tool to eliminate players.

smitty46953
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
I think 3 or 4 guys had Ben Banogu :cool:

YDFL Commish
04-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Good job Smitty you sir are the Ballard whisperer!

JAFF
04-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Two more than me

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 06:35 PM
I think 3 or 4 guys had Ben Banogu :cool:

I think I picked.him in the wrong round

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 08:11 PM
I think I picked.him in the wrong round

I did that with several guys I think. Only get a couple points for that.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2019, 08:28 PM
I did that with several guys I think. Only get a couple points for that.

I didn’t end with a Zero then lol:cool:

Chromeburn
04-27-2019, 09:59 PM
I didn’t end with a Zero then lol:cool:

No promises. I’ll tally it up when UDFA dies down.