PDA

View Full Version : Colts Draft Series: "With the Next Pick"

VeveJones007
04-03-2019, 10:04 PM
https://www.colts.com/video/with-the-next-pick-are-we-going-to-draft-this-guy

First five minute episode of behind the scenes footage from the Colts scouting staff as they prepare for this draft. Nothing earth shattering, but you can clearly hear the types of things that they value: character, leadership, perseverance, ability, etc.

OneVoice
04-04-2019, 10:41 AM
I love this team, the players, the staff, the coaches. All of it.

The whole org was a **** show since Polian-Dungy-Manning left.

Ballard-Reich-Luck is something to be really proud of now.

Luck4Reich
04-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Good post. Enjoyed that.

Discflinger
04-10-2019, 11:48 PM
Second one was kind of meh. Just expected more after the first one.

Maniac
04-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Second one was kind of meh. Just expected more after the first one.

Ending was great with Ballard saying "Raise your glasses : To kicking everyone's asses."

VeveJones007
04-11-2019, 04:44 PM
https://www.colts.com/video/with-the-next-pick-love-the-process

Here's the link to the second piece in the series.

YDFL Commish
04-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Ending was great with Ballard saying "Raise your glasses : To kicking everyone's asses."

Yeah, that was kinda the only part that rocked!

Brylok
04-12-2019, 08:16 PM
These are fantastic so far. I wouldn't want anyone other than Ballard running the Colts. Just imagine if they can get similar draft results to last year. Let's GO!

Luck4Reich
04-12-2019, 10:35 PM
These are fantastic so far. I wouldn't want anyone other than Ballard running the Colts. Just imagine if they can get similar draft results to last year. Let's GO!

Championship! :cool:

rcubed
04-13-2019, 03:43 AM
Yeah, that was kinda the only part that rocked!

I like the part where Dodds said “we won a fucking wildcard game”and clearly was not happy about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discflinger
04-13-2019, 12:48 PM

I liked that he was drinking a martini, as well. I only wonder if it was gin or vodka. Unfortunately the citrus says it was vodka.

VeveJones007
04-13-2019, 03:18 PM
I liked that he was drinking a martini, as well. I only wonder if it was gin or vodka. Unfortunately the citrus says it was vodka.

That guy can drink fruity cocktails for all I care as long as he keeps churning out successful drafts.

JAFF
04-13-2019, 04:02 PM

I’ll take my Buffalo Trace in a glass and one large ice cube. Hell
With martinnies.

He can drink fruit punch he pulls off a great draft I’ll send him some vodka

YDFL Commish
04-13-2019, 04:37 PM
I’ll take my Buffalo Trace in a glass and one large ice cube. Hell
With martinnies.

He can drink fruit punch he pulls off a great draft I’ll send him some vodka

Love Buffalo Trace and Blanton's as well.

JAFF
04-13-2019, 08:46 PM
Love Buffalo Trace and Blanton's as well.

Good luck finding a bottle of Blantons

YDFL Commish
04-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Good luck finding a bottle of Blantons

So true. I have not been able to find any Blanton's for my own personal consumption. But I travel a lot and have been spending time in Connecticut, where Maggie McFly's restaurant keeps the Blanton's in stock.

VeveJones007
04-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Episode 3: You Don't Want to Be Cluttered on Draft Day

https://www.colts.com/news/with-the-next-pick-part-3-episode-recap

Some interesting stuff in this one. The Colts only have about 170 guys on their board even though over over 250 guys get taken in the draft. That tells me they do a lot of winnowing down of the prospect list based on character and player attributes/scheme fit.

“People (are) kind of like, ‘Well, 256 get drafted,’” Dodds said. “I’m like, ‘Yeah, 256 get drafted. But there’s 170 that we would say fit us.’

Luck4Reich
04-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Episode 3: You Don't Want to Be Cluttered on Draft Day

https://www.colts.com/news/with-the-next-pick-part-3-episode-recap

Some interesting stuff in this one. The Colts only have about 170 guys on their board even though over over 250 guys get taken in the draft. That tells me they do a lot of winnowing down of the prospect list based on character and player attributes/scheme fit.

Patriots use a similar process.. they find out who 75-100 that are willing to cheat to win and that makes up their draft board.

VeveJones007
04-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Rapoport:
Sources: #Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

That's a striking difference vs how the Colts conduct business. I bet we see footage in this series in a couple weeks with the actual area scouts who worked the ground scouting the new draft picks. If I were in scouting, I know which organization I would prefer to work for.

Dam8610
04-19-2019, 02:00 PM
That's a striking difference vs how the Colts conduct business. I bet we see footage in this series in a couple weeks with the actual area scouts who worked the ground scouting the new draft picks. If I were in scouting, I know which organization I would prefer to work for.

Wow, the Raiders organization is a raging dumpster fire. It doesn't seem likely that they get much value out of all that draft capital.

rcubed
04-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Patriots use a similar process.. they find out who 75-100 that are willing to cheat to win and that makes up their draft board.

dumb.

Discflinger
05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Really impressed with the last episode. So cool to be in the draft room. Loved how jacked Reich got. Best front office in football.

VeveJones007
05-02-2019, 12:27 AM
Really impressed with the last episode. So cool to be in the draft room. Loved how jacked Reich got. Best front office in football.

Reich was so calm the whole time, then he got PUMPED. So cool to see the coaches and front office working so well together.

Also loved Dorsey calling Ballard and Ballard just hanging up on him.

Discflinger
05-02-2019, 06:56 AM
"I'm working." Omg, I almost forgot. Hysterical!

Lawrence Owen
05-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Really enjoyed the series.
The last one was awesome.
Seeing how the talked about players, and realizing that they got all their targets from before the draft on day 2 was pretty cool.
But makes me wonder why they didn't like Tillery.

rcubed
05-02-2019, 11:15 AM
That was interesting watching the inner workings. i liked seeing how they worked through player evaluations and the draft day workings. Makes me wonder what it was like with grigs and pags, i would love to see the contrast.

Racehorse
05-02-2019, 11:40 AM
That was interesting watching the inner workings. i liked seeing how they worked through player evaluations and the draft day workings. Makes me wonder what it was like with grigs and pags, i would love to see the contrast.

G: Who you want chuck?
P: I want Dorsett.
G: I was thinking TRich.
P: (pounds desk) Dorsett and Morrison!!!
G: only if you let me draft Banner and Basham.
P: Deal!

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
05-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Ballard was GM on the Banner and Basham picks. Yes, using Grigson's scouting staff but Ballard was the GM.

Luck4Reich
05-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Ballard was GM on the Banner and Basham picks. Yes, using Grigson's scouting staff but Ballard was the GM.

Maybe he was seeing if someone from that staff stepped up and was worth keeping? Empowered them to make picks.. obviously not and he made changes.

Chromeburn
05-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Banner I believe was a guy who the oline coach wanted.

VeveJones007
05-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Seeing how the talked about players, and realizing that they got all their targets from before the draft on day 2 was pretty cool.

Could be a few different things:

1) Perhaps they just had a Rd2 grade on him and couldn't pass up getting another 2nd and waiting to see if he fell to 34.
2) Maybe they didn't see him as a great scheme fit.
3) Maybe he was off their board due to a college suspension and some on-field incidents.

Racehorse
05-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Wasn't supposed to be literal. Just a form of hyperbolic sarcasm. Sorry it flew right over.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
05-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Wasn't supposed to be literal. Just a form of hyperbolic sarcasm. Sorry it flew right over.

I knew it was in jest - just saying that you could have used some of Grigson's bad draft picks for the post. He gave you many of them to choose from. :D

Racehorse
05-02-2019, 04:34 PM
I knew it was in jest - just saying that you could have used some of Grigson's bad draft picks for the post. He gave you many of them to choose from. :D

My mind went blank. That’s why I said TRich, who wasn’t even drafted by us. Getting old has its benefits: you can forget the bad and not just the good.

rcubed
05-02-2019, 05:27 PM

This is how I pictured it

Racehorse
05-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Frank was pumped, saying "Four for four!" That tells me that they wanted these four guys, but didn't think that all four would still be there. I was also pumped to see they had Banogu and Okereke as kind of a toss-up, and now they get to battle with each other for minutes, or can share the field together. I know they edited out several hours of discussion to hide things from opponents and to make fans excited, but the excitement from Frank could not have n=been faked.

Chromeburn
05-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Frank was pumped, saying "Four for four!" That tells me that they wanted these four guys, but didn't think that all four would still be there. I was also pumped to see they had Banogu and Okereke as kind of a toss-up, and now they get to battle with each other for minutes, or can share the field together. I know they edited out several hours of discussion to hide things from opponents and to make fans excited, but the excitement from Frank could not have n=been faked.

I noticed they edited out the EJ Speed conversation. I wanted to see that one especially after Ballard’s comments on Polian’s show.

rcubed
05-05-2019, 03:07 PM
I noticed they edited out the EJ Speed conversation. I wanted to see that one especially after Ballard’s comments on Polian’s show.

What were his comments?

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
05-06-2019, 11:02 AM
What were his comments?

The Colts just posted an extensive write-up on EJ Speed on their website. It has some comments from Ballard about EJ and where they plan for him to play in the defense.

https://www.colts.com/news/life-experiences-helped-turn-e-j-speed-into-a-player-with-really-big-upside

Chromeburn
05-06-2019, 12:35 PM
My mind went blank. That’s why I said TRich, who wasn’t even drafted by us. Getting old has its benefits: you can forget the bad and not just the good.

He might as well have, we used a first to get him.

Chromeburn
05-06-2019, 12:51 PM
What were his comments?

Ballard said he was going through the numbers on the players about three weeks before the draft. He highlighted Speed noticing he tested out high but they didn’t have anything on him. So he called in Kevin (Rogers I assume, dir of pro personnel) to look at his tape. Kevin came back in after an hour and said Speed was one of the best LBs in the draft. Ballard was like “What?!?”.

Said they dived deep into his background. Said he was a good kid who got caught up in a bad crowd. He said players make mistakes and to remembers these are just kids and kids make mistakes.

On draft day he said the scouts were all arguing for Speed. Said if he didn’t draft him the scouts were going to mutiny and take over the draft room.

rcubed
05-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Ballard said he was going through the numbers on the players about three weeks before the draft. He highlighted Speed noticing he tested out high but they didn’t have anything on him. So he called in Kevin (Rogers I assume, dir of pro personnel) to look at his tape. Kevin came back in after an hour and said Speed was one of the best LBs in the draft. Ballard was like “What?!?”.

Said they dived deep into his background. Said he was a good kid who got caught up in a bad crowd. He said players make mistakes and to remembers these are just kids and kids make mistakes.

On draft day he said the scouts were all arguing for Speed. Said if he didn’t draft him the scouts were going to mutiny and take over the draft room.

Thanks. I like that ballard really listens to his scouts but makes them prove their position

Racehorse
05-06-2019, 02:13 PM
The Colts just posted an extensive write-up on EJ Speed on their website. It has some comments from Ballard about EJ and where they plan for him to play in the defense.

https://www.colts.com/news/life-experiences-helped-turn-e-j-speed-into-a-player-with-really-big-upside

Could become a star, but I always have my doubts on players that only get positive press from team websites. They are trying to sell excitement and ticket sales.