PDA

View Full Version : Draft Targets at #26 and #34

VeveJones007
04-03-2019, 04:42 PM
The draft is still a few weeks out, but I think we have enough information to start culling the list of potential targets for the Colts at #26 and #34.

1) There are several players very likely to be selected in the top 25. Based on Ballard's comments, it's doubtful he will trade up to get one of these 16 guys before they're off the board:

QB: Kyler Murray
QB: Dwayne Haskins
QB: Drew Lock
WR: DK Metcalf
TE: TJ Hockenson
OL: Jonah Williams
OL: Jawaan Taylor
OL: Andre Dillard
EDGE: Nick Bosa
EDGE: Josh Allen
EDGE: Rashaun Gary
EDGE: Montez Sweat
DL: Quinnen Williams
DL: Ed Oliver
LB: Devin White
LB: Devin Bush

2) There are also some highly rated players that either aren't a scheme/character fit or at positions that are very unlikely to be targeted early by the Colts:

Scheme/Character:

DL: Jerry Tillery (5 technique)
DL: Dexter Lawrence (2 gap player)
EDGE: Jachai Polite (character knocks)
CB: Greedy Williams (better suited for man scheme)
CB/S: Rock Ya-Sin (likely a slot cover corner)
CB/S: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (likely a slot cover corner)

Positional Value:

TE: Noah Fant
TE: Irv Smith
RB: Josh Jacobs
OL: Garrett Bradbury
OL: Cody Ford
QB: Daniel Jones
OL: Erik McCoy
OL: Dalton Risner
RB: David Montgomery
LB: Mack Wilson
S: Nasir Adderley (strictly a FS)
S: Deionte Thompson (strictly a FS)

That significantly narrows the list of potential targets at #26 and #34:

Potential Targets:

DT: Jeffrey Simmons
DT: Christian Wilkins
DT: Dre'mont Jones
EDGE: Brian Burns
EDGE: Clelin Ferrell
EDGE: Jaylon Ferguson
S: Jonathan Abram
S: Taylor Rapp
CB: Byron Murphy
CB: Deandre Baker
WR: AJ Brown
WR: Marquise Brown
WR: N'Keal Harry
WR: Riley Ridley
WR: Deebo Samuel
WR: Terry McLaurin
WR: Paris Campbell

Obviously some of these guys will be off the board, so the list becomes even shorter when the Colts are on the clock at #26 and #34. I list the defenders first because I'm fairly confident that's the direction they will take. The list of WRs is a bit long because I'm not 100% sure what the Colts would value more. Do they want a slot guy? A speed threat to stretch the field?

What do you guys think? Any names you think should be moved around? Any names you would add?

YDFL Commish
04-03-2019, 05:05 PM
The draft is still a few weeks out, but I think we have enough information to start culling the list of potential targets for the Colts at #26 and #34.

1) There are several players very likely to be selected in the top 25. Based on Ballard's comments, it's doubtful he will trade up to get one of these 16 guys before they're off the board:

2) There are also some highly rated players that either aren't a scheme/character fit or at positions that are very unlikely to be targeted early by the Colts:

Scheme/Character:

Positional Value:

Potential Targets:

Obviously some of these guys will be off the board, so the list becomes even shorter when the Colts are on the clock at #26 and #34. I list the defenders first because I'm fairly confident that's the direction they will take. The list of WRs is a bit long because I'm not 100% sure what the Colts would value more. Do they want a slot guy? A speed threat to stretch the field?

What do you guys think? Any names you think should be moved around? Any names you would add?

I don't know how you pass on Byron Murphy if he's still on the board?

Puck
04-03-2019, 05:11 PM
It sure why you are listing the OL players as non positional. We need a future LT

VeveJones007
04-03-2019, 05:18 PM
It sure why you are listing the OL players as non positional. We need a future LT

1) Ballard will use the insane cap space to re-sign Castonzo.
2) The value isn't there at #26 or #34. Ford and Dillard will probably be off the board, and a lot of scouts don't like them at LT anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see a developmental tackle taken at #59 or later, but not that early with the type of talent that will be available.

VeveJones007
04-03-2019, 05:31 PM

How the corners come off the board is a big question mark, IMO. If a few corners go before 26, it makes it more likely a guy like Burns, Wilkins, or Simmons are still available.

JAFF
04-03-2019, 09:33 PM
1) Ballard will use the insane cap space to re-sign Castonzo.
2) The value isn't there at #26 or #34. Ford and Dillard will probably be off the board, and a lot of scouts don't like them at LT anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see a developmental tackle taken at #59 or later, but not that early with the type of talent that will be available.

Stop making sense, they need a backup LT to get the colts to the super bowl

YDFL Commish
04-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Stop making sense, they need a backup LT to get the colts to the super bowl

So, are you 100% convinced that that Braden Smith is the RT of the future? I'm not.

I'm also not 100% convinced that Glowinski can maintain his success either. If not, maybe Smith gets moved back inside to RG...in that case we need a RT to replace him.

We are also pinning a lot on LeRaven Clark at LT if Castonzo should go down. Yet alone the fact that we can't guarantee that Castonzo will be a Colt after 2019.

Don't get me wrong. This is probably the best O-Line that we have had since at least 2009. But one more piece needs to be added to insure that it stays that way.

FatDT
04-03-2019, 10:07 PM
So, are you 100% convinced that that Braden Smith is the RT of the future? I'm not.

I'm also not 100% convinced that Glowinski can maintain his success either. If not, maybe Smith gets moved back inside to RG...in that case we need a RT to replace him.

We are also pinning a lot on LeRaven Clark at LT if Castonzo should go down. Yet alone the fact that we can't guarantee that Castonzo will be a Colt after 2019.

Don't get me wrong. This is probably the best O-Line that we have had since at least 2009. But one more piece needs to be added to insure that it stays that way.

2009? No. You’re either misremembering or crazy. This OL right now is the best OL we’ve had in decades. In 2009 we had Charlie Johnson playing above his head at LT while Ugoh sulked on the bench, Mike fucking Pollak at RG, Saturday as a shell of who he used to be at C, and the lumbering corpse of Ryan Diem at RT before they kicked him inside (where he still wasn’t very good).

FatDT
04-03-2019, 10:09 PM

He’s slow, under 6’, and we have 3 starting-caliber corners already on the roster. Ballard will pass on him easily.

TheMugwump
04-03-2019, 10:21 PM

This.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Ford is on the board, he'll be the pick. He likely won't be, but if he is...well, I'd love the choice.

But I know nothing about this sort of stuff.

Dam8610
04-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Scheme/Character:

Positional Value:

Potential Targets:

If you remove the WRs it's a pretty good list. I also think Tillery can play 3 tech and has ideal size and length for what Eberflus wants in a DL.

Oldcolt
04-03-2019, 11:57 PM
There were times last year when this was the best offensive line play I can remember. Certainly the most violent. Having said that the only position that would shock me as a first round pick is qb. I think Ballard goes for the best player that fits his scheme regardless of position. Position does not matter that much unless you grade them close. We need more playmakers. Doesn't matter where (though I am hoping for defense)

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 12:01 AM

Let me put it this way: there’s zero chance I pass on Wilkins or Simmons in favor of Ford. Would you?

Puck
04-04-2019, 12:51 AM
This.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Ford is on the board, he'll be the pick. He likely won't be, but if he is...well, I'd love the choice.

But I know nothing about this sort of stuff.

I’m not saying we absolutely will take an OT but if that is BPA then I’m pretty sure it will/could happen

JAFF
04-04-2019, 06:44 AM

No, look at the quote. It was sarcasm. The Colts need a pass rush that produces more pressure if they want to get back to the playoffs.

omahacolt
04-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Eventually yes.

This year? No

DrSpaceman
04-04-2019, 08:15 AM
I don't think anyone would argue against OL depth and upgrades.

But we are talking about picks #26 and #34 and there are certainly much greater needs on this team. I can't see using picks that high on OL depth when pass rush, corner, #2 WR are still huge areas of need.

HoosierinFL
04-04-2019, 08:41 AM

We won't use a first rounder to pick a guy who will be a backup for a year. Plus Clark is there even if Castonzo is not re-signed.

YDFL Commish
04-04-2019, 08:56 AM
2009? No. You’re either misremembering or crazy. This OL right now is the best OL we’ve had in decades. In 2009 we had Charlie Johnson playing above his head at LT while Ugoh sulked on the bench, Mike fucking Pollak at RG, Saturday as a shell of who he used to be at C, and the lumbering corpse of Ryan Diem at RT before they kicked him inside (where he still wasn’t very good).

You are correct...the 2007 OL was pretty good though. I agree that this OL looks to be our best ever. But it will take sustained success to prove that out...especially with a new OL coach coming in.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 10:07 AM

But we are talking about picks #26 and #34 and there are certainly much greater needs on this team. I can't see using picks that high on OL depth when pass rush, corner, #2 WR are still huge areas of need.

^^This, but I would just add that it isn't like they'll be "reaching" for one of those areas of need. I just provided a long list of guys projected at 25-50 at areas of need, so it's not like they'd be reaching for a 3rd round talent to fill a hole.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Holder had a chat on the Athletic yesterday and said Joe Mixon wasn’t on the team’s board in 2017. I don’t think the reports on Simmons or Ferguson are anywhere near as bad, but it’s something to keep in mind.

Puck
04-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Ballard won’t be drafting for need 1st It will be BPA

Chromeburn
04-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Holder had a chat on the Athletic yesterday and said Joe Mixon wasn’t on the team’s board in 2017. I don’t think the reports on Simmons or Ferguson are anywhere near as bad, but it’s something to keep in mind.

I see a difference between those situations. I wonder if the front office does too. I’m glad Mixon wasn’t on there.

Chromeburn
04-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Scheme/Character:

Positional Value:

Potential Targets:

I disagree on your Tillery assessment. I think he can play inside in this D and was very successful pass rushing last year. I also don’t think a WR will be in those top two picks. Too many to choose from and not a lot at the top.

I’ve heard NFL GMs see about 14 legitimate first round picks this year. I think if one of them drops we will grab one regardless of position, unless it’s QB. That includes oline and any of the TE’s.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 12:42 PM
I disagree on your Tillery assessment. I think he can play inside in this D and was very successful pass rushing last year. I also don’t think a WR will be in those top two picks. Too many to choose from and not a lot at the top.

I’ve heard NFL GMs see about 14 legitimate first round picks this year. I think if one of them drops we will grab one regardless of position, unless it’s QB. That includes oline and any of the TE’s.

Maybe it's just what he was asked to do, but I only see two plays here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pZJkY2iqg)where he truly shot a gap like Eberflus wants his DTs to do.

Compare that to Dre'mont Jones here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAatASYhIs), where he's shooting the B gap almost every play. In particular, watch the play at 0:40. Tillery doesn't have the quickness to pull that off, which is a key part of what Eberflus wants on the interior.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 12:47 PM

In his podcast today, Holder mentioned that he heard the same from Ballard. But that there's a lot of good players available after that through the end of Rd2.

I think Ballard will prefer to get 3 of those "good" players at 26, 34, and 59, but I do wonder if there's one of those elite guys that he would try to move up and take. You'd still end up with 1 "elite" player and 1 "good" player, but I think Ballard's preference is to minimize the risk and have as many quality picks as he can get.

Puck
04-04-2019, 01:02 PM

Agree. But not any of the the tight ends only the top two. And I certainly hope we don’t have to go that way

Puck
04-04-2019, 01:03 PM
No, look at the quote. It was sarcasm. The Colts need a pass rush that produces more pressure if they want to get back to the playoffs.

Who are you hoping to get at 26 and 34?

Dam8610
04-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Maybe it's just what he was asked to do, but I only see two plays here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pZJkY2iqg)where he truly shot a gap like Eberflus wants his DTs to do.

Compare that to Dre'mont Jones here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAatASYhIs), where he's shooting the B gap almost every play. In particular, watch the play at 0:40. Tillery doesn't have the quickness to pull that off, which is a key part of what Eberflus wants on the interior.

Have you watched Tillery's Stanford tape? It's likely his best game, but he dominated Stanford's OL for most of that game. I counted 4 sacks, plenty of gap penetration, near constant double teams, and an occasional triple team. If his other film looks similar at all to that game, I'd be fine with drafting him at 26.

Chromeburn
04-04-2019, 02:30 PM

I like Dre’mont, if we love Lewis, they have to be looking at Dre’mont as well. I would be more than happy with him. I like a guy with advanced technique like he does.

I think Tillery can do it. You have to examine what he was asked to do when considering. For example Ed Oliver was asked to 0-tech almost half of his snap, maybe more. But when he was asked to 3-tech he was pretty effective. Up there with the other tackles. Tillery just wasn’t always asked to do it. But yeah the Stanford game as Dam said is s good game to look at.

Chromeburn
04-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Agree. But not any of the the tight ends only the top two. And I certainly hope we don’t have to go that way

I like Irv Smith, I think he was under utilized at Bama. He can really move and if you have a QB who can get him the ball I think he could do some real yac damage on a team.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Have you watched Tillery's Stanford tape? It's likely his best game, but he dominated Stanford's OL for most of that game. I counted 4 sacks, plenty of gap penetration, near constant double teams, and an occasional triple team. If his other film looks similar at all to that game, I'd be fine with drafting him at 26.

Yes, I have. He's basically Corey Redding. He would beat interior guys with power and a good swim move, but he isn't a guy who consistently beats a double-team by shooting the gap before the OL can get their hands on him.

JAFF
04-04-2019, 04:45 PM
We won't use a first rounder to pick a guy who will be a backup for a year. Plus Clark is there even if Castonzo is not re-signed.

What's a matter with you, this is a fan posting site, you are making way too much sense.

JAFF
04-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Who are you hoping to get at 26 and 34?

A hot blonde and a tall red head.

Oh, you mean the draft?

I haven't the slightest idea. What I do know is that the Colts couldn't get to the QB on a regular basis, so that would be a good place to start. DT, DE, hell even a LB and you blitz him, but they need to either cover better or go get the QB.

Here's an ideal, TRADE UP. Get the DL guy you want.

YDFL Commish
04-04-2019, 05:33 PM

I have, that's why I can't believe that he's being pigeon holed as a 5-tech. To me his tap shows that he could play any spot on the DL in a 3-4 and can play NT or UT in our 4-3.

YDFL Commish
04-04-2019, 05:34 PM
I like Dre’mont, if we love Lewis, they have to be looking at Dre’mont as well. I would be more than happy with him. I like a guy with advanced technique like he does.

I think Tillery can do it. You have to examine what he was asked to do when considering. For example Ed Oliver was asked to 0-tech almost half of his snap, maybe more. But when he was asked to 3-tech he was pretty effective. Up there with the other tackles. Tillery just wasn’t always asked to do it. But yeah the Stanford game as Dam said is s good game to look at.

I like Jones as well, but feel that he may be redundant with Lewis and Autry.

Dam8610
04-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Yes, I have. He's basically Corey Redding. He would beat interior guys with power and a good swim move, but he isn't a guy who consistently beats a double-team by shooting the gap before the OL can get their hands on him.

After watching more tape of each, I have Tillery slightly ahead of Jones for one reason: consistency. I'll give you that Jones's athleticism is off the charts, especially his first step/explosiveness, but it also gets him in trouble at times. I watched Jones get washed out of plays trying to knife a gap so many times. TCU ran right at his gap twice for long TDs because he was trying to make the big play rather than keeping gap contain. Tillery, meanwhile, still creates good gap penetration while also making the routine plays and not getting washed out often. As for your Cory Redding comparison, getting a player that productive at 26 would be a win.

I have, that's why I can't believe that he's being pigeon holed as a 5-tech. To me his tap shows that he could play any spot on the DL in a 3-4 and can play NT or UT in our 4-3.

I agree with this assessment other than I don't think he could 2 gap in a 3-4 as a NT. Other than that, yes, I love the versatility and consistency he'd bring to the interior DL.

He is. He'd be a UT/DE, just like the other two. The Colts need someone who can play UT and NT more.

YDFL Commish
04-04-2019, 06:16 PM
I agree with this assessment other than I don't think he could 2 gap in a 3-4 as a NT. Other than that, yes, I love the versatility and consistency he'd bring to the interior DL.

No, I probably wouldn't play him there every down, but on passing downs he could play there.

VeveJones007
04-04-2019, 09:24 PM
After watching more tape of each, I have Tillery slightly ahead of Jones for one reason: consistency. I'll give you that Jones's athleticism is off the charts, especially his first step/explosiveness, but it also gets him in trouble at times. I watched Jones get washed out of plays trying to knife a gap so many times. TCU ran right at his gap twice for long TDs because he was trying to make the big play rather than keeping gap contain. Tillery, meanwhile, still creates good gap penetration while also making the routine plays and not getting washed out often. As for your Cory Redding comparison, getting a player that productive at 26 would be a win.

He is. He'd be a UT/DE, just like the other two. The Colts need someone who can play UT and NT more.

I’m not sure enough for it to warrant such a high pick. I’d much rather take one of those other players I listed at DL/EDGE/CB/SS.

Dam8610
04-04-2019, 10:49 PM
I’m not sure enough for it to warrant such a high pick. I’d much rather take one of those other players I listed at DL/EDGE/CB/SS.

Well if Brian Burns is there, obviously take him, a legitimate pass rusher is the most important thing to have outside of a QB. Almost every source suggests he won't be, however, and Tillery might be the best available at 26. I'd take Tillery over Christian Wilkins, and I don't think the value is there at CB or SS. I haven't really watched any of Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen yet, but Tillery vs. Stanford is the best performance I've seen by a DL prospect since Chubb vs. FSU. To me, the tape and the measurables both show a great fit for the Colts defense, so I'd take him unless one of the guys like Sweat or Oliver falls to 26.

Lawrence Owen
04-04-2019, 11:21 PM

Scheme/Character:

Positional Value:

Potential Targets:

I disagree on Tillery. I think he could play a role similar to Hunt at the NT position.
But other than that, I think you did really good work dissecting.

VeveJones007
04-05-2019, 01:24 AM
Well if Brian Burns is there, obviously take him, a legitimate pass rusher is the most important thing to have outside of a QB. Almost every source suggests he won't be, however, and Tillery might be the best available at 26. I'd take Tillery over Christian Wilkins, and I don't think the value is there at CB or SS. I haven't really watched any of Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen yet, but Tillery vs. Stanford is the best performance I've seen by a DL prospect since Chubb vs. FSU. To me, the tape and the measurables both show a great fit for the Colts defense, so I'd take him unless one of the guys like Sweat or Oliver falls to 26.

If it were me, I’d be trying to line up trades into the 10-15 range to get Burns. According to the value chart, 26 & 59 gets you around 14. I’d be ecstatic to walk away from the first two rounds with Burns and one of those other guys I listed at 34 (my preference would be Simmons if he makes it there).

Dam8610
04-05-2019, 08:41 AM
If it were me, I’d be trying to line up trades into the 10-15 range to get Burns. According to the value chart, 26 & 59 gets you around 14. I’d be ecstatic to walk away from the first two rounds with Burns and one of those other guys I listed at 34 (my preference would be Simmons if he makes it there).

If the Colts are trading up that high, I'd want Montez Sweat or Ed Oliver out of the deal. If they're trading up for Burns or Ferrell, I'd prefer to go to the 16-20 range and use picks 26 & 89 for the trade up.

Chromeburn
04-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Not if he is better. And he and Lewis are versatile. They could play next to each other on certain downs. Doesn't have to only play 3-tech. Autry is as well really. Just get the best pass rushers you can, then you can figure out how to get them on the field. I'm not oppossed to Tillery either, he can probably play both tackle roles and Jones can play end and 3-tech. Tillery also had a RAS score second to only Quinnen Williams I believe. Stampede blue just did a write up on him yesterday. I did one mock where I took both he and Jones. Can never have enough inside pressure with this defense.

VeveJones007
04-05-2019, 10:56 AM
If the Colts are trading up that high, I'd want Montez Sweat or Ed Oliver out of the deal. If they're trading up for Burns or Ferrell, I'd prefer to go to the 16-20 range and use picks 26 & 89 for the trade up.

I can understand the argument on Sweat. I see a higher ceiling compared to Burns, but I think Burns has the higher floor. Maybe it's from watching Freeney and Mathis all those years, but I prefer the athletic pass rusher who I know already has three moves (Burns). Sweat has more power and could develop into a beast, but I'm very confident Burns would be a perennial 10 sack guy in the Colts system.

VeveJones007
04-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Not if he is better. And he and Lewis are versatile. They could play next to each other on certain downs. Doesn't have to only play 3-tech. Autry is as well really. Just get the best pass rushers you can, then you can figure out how to get them on the field. I'm not oppossed to Tillery either, he can probably play both tackle roles and Jones can play end and 3-tech. Tillery also had a RAS score second to only Quinnen Williams I believe. Stampede blue just did a write up on him yesterday. I did one mock where I took both he and Jones. Can never have enough inside pressure with this defense.

I've seen some mocks with Jones going in Rd3, which I could absolutely see. I can't see him as an EDGE or interior lineman in a 30 front, so his pool of teams is already limited. He could be really good value to the Colts at 59 or maybe they move up a bit like they did with Lewis last year.

Dam8610
04-05-2019, 11:23 AM

I've seen a lot of mocks that have Tillery at 26, and I like that idea a lot more after watching his tape. His RAS score being high likely means he's high on Ballard's board as well. I'd honestly be really excited if the picks at 26 and 34 were Tillery and Simmons. They're not flashy picks, but they could solidify the DL for the next half decade.

I can understand the argument on Sweat. I see a higher ceiling compared to Burns, but I think Burns has the higher floor. Maybe it's from watching Freeney and Mathis all those years, but I prefer the athletic pass rusher who I know already has three moves (Burns). Sweat has more power and could develop into a beast, but I'm very confident Burns would be a perennial 10 sack guy in the Colts system.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled with Burns, I just wouldn't give up as much value to get him as I would to get Sweat or Oliver. If Eberflus is following the DL model they use in Dallas, Montez Sweat is his wet dream. He's big, long, fast, and has pretty much every attribute for which a DL built in that mold would ever look.

I've seen some mocks with Jones going in Rd3, which I could absolutely see. I can't see him as an EDGE or interior lineman in a 30 front, so his pool of teams is already limited. He could be really good value to the Colts at 59 or maybe they move up a bit like they did with Lewis last year.

If Jones is there at 59, absolutely pull the trigger, maybe even if the picks at 26 and 34 were used on Tillery and Simmons. Having DT be a strength of the team for once would be a new and interesting concept.

VeveJones007
04-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Per Matt Miller today (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829494-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-nfl-insiders-believe-top-5-picks-are-a-lock?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league):

Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons would have had a top-five overall grade on my big board before an ACL injury suffered during training, but multiple NFL scouts and decision-makers told me this week they still expect the pass-rushing lineman will be a top-20 pick.

Dam8610
04-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Per Matt Miller today (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829494-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-nfl-insiders-believe-top-5-picks-are-a-lock?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league):

That means someone else with value drops, then. I can't see a team burning a top 20 pick on an injured player, though. That said, this says a lot about what the NFL thinks of his character.

VeveJones007
04-05-2019, 02:47 PM
That means someone else with value drops, then. I can't see a team burning a top 20 pick on an injured player, though. That said, this says a lot about what the NFL thinks of his character.

I think it also speaks to the lack of elite talent at the top end of the draft. If there were 30 guys with 1st round grades, teams would be less likely to take a chance that Simmons comes back at 100% after injury.

VeveJones007
04-07-2019, 01:44 AM
QB Daniel Jones is getting some recent buzz. Would be nice if he went top 25 and pushed another player down the board to 26 and 34.

Miami, Washington, and NYG are key teams to watch since they could either go for help on the DL or grab a QB.

Dam8610
04-07-2019, 02:26 AM
QB Daniel Jones is getting some recent buzz. Would be nice if he went top 25 and pushed another player down the board to 26 and 34.

Miami, Washington, and NYG are key teams to watch since they could either go for help on the DL or grab a QB.

Jones is the guy that I've thought some team would overpay to get back into round 1 for. Getting a top 40ish pick and a 2020 1 for the 26th pick would be a great deal and attainable if some team fails in love with a guy like Jones.

YDFL Commish
04-07-2019, 03:50 PM
My best scenario for the Colts 1st 3 picks is:

Byron Murphy
Jerry Tillery
Which ever safety Ballard likes the best between Rapp, Abram, Gardner Johnson and Deionte Thompson or perhaps Nasir Adderly

TheMugwump
04-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Jones is the guy that I've thought some team would overpay to get back into round 1 for. Getting a top 40ish pick and a 2020 1 for the 26th pick would be a great deal and attainable if some team fails in love with a guy like Jones.

Especially the 2020 Rd. 1, since it would possibly be a team picking in the top half of the draft.

On board with this one. Although Jones is as ready to play NFL football as any QB in the draft this year, considering his college coach.

VeveJones007
04-07-2019, 05:30 PM
My best scenario for the Colts 1st 3 picks is:

Byron Murphy
Jerry Tillery
Which ever safety Ballard likes the best between Rapp, Abram, Gardner Johnson and Deionte Thompson or perhaps Nasir Adderly

My crazy dream scenario is Burns, Simmons/Wilkins, and Rapp/Abram. Then grab a corner or two in rounds 3/4 who fall because of 40 times, but are good fits for zone schemes.

VeveJones007
04-07-2019, 05:35 PM
If I had to put odds on the pick at 26, my money’s still on Wilkins.

VeveJones007
04-19-2019, 03:08 PM
It's being reported that Montez Sweat has an enlarged heart. I wonder if he's on the Colts board based on their medical checks.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-19-2019, 05:49 PM
It's being reported that Montez Sweat has an enlarged heart. I wonder if he's on the Colts board based on their medical checks.

Yep, it was first widely reported at the combine.

http://coltfreaks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113580&postcount=54

And now today, there are rumors that several teams have completely removed Sweat from their draft boards. The Colts passed on Maurice Hurst Jr multiple times last year, although I have read that Hurst's condition is worse.

Luck4Reich
04-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Such a scary thing. You hate it for these guys.

Coltsalr
04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

I’d go Simmons if I had a gun to my head.

YDFL Commish
04-19-2019, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Coltsalr;116720]I’d go Simmons if I had a gun to my head.[/QUOTE

Wilkins dropping to us would be a godsend. He's everything that you want in a player, teammate, leader and human being. He's a classic 3-Tch with size to boot.

What's not to like?

Coltsalr
04-19-2019, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Coltsalr;116720]I’d go Simmons if I had a gun to my head.[/QUOTE

Wilkins dropping to us would be a godsend. He's everything that you want in a player, teammate, leader and human being. He's a classic 3-Tch with size to boot.

What's not to like?

I like Wilkins a lot.

I was saying in terms of there was a gun to my head on who I had to predict the Colts would take, Simmons would be the choice (who I also like a lot).

smitty46953
04-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Hope he is there at 26 but I doubt he is... :cool:

VeveJones007
04-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Hope he is there at 26 but I doubt he is... :cool:

That’s the question. Less than a week to wait!

Puck
04-20-2019, 12:59 AM
Y’all gonna be shocked when he takes a safety at 26

VeveJones007
04-20-2019, 01:03 AM

If his name is Jonathan Abram, I wouldn’t be shocked.

FatDT
04-20-2019, 06:39 AM

I think the only 3 realistic options are DL, DB, or WR.

smitty46953
04-20-2019, 08:01 AM
If his name is Jonathan Abram, I wouldn’t be shocked.

Yes, I agree Abram would not surprise me a bit. :cool:

Coltsalr
04-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Yes, I agree Abram would not surprise me a bit. :cool:

And I’d be pretty damn happy over it.

TheMugwump
04-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Gonna be an OT.

YDFL Commish
04-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Frankly, I don't believe any of the safeties have 1st round value.

Abrams is also strictly a SS, which I'm not sure that's what Ballard wants.

VeveJones007
04-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Frankly, I don't believe any of the safeties have 1st round value.

Abrams is also strictly a SS, which I'm not sure that's what Ballard wants.

Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Ballard pushed hard for Collins but backed off when the bidding got crazy. Couple that with how important a quality SS is in this scheme, and you have a big need there. I don’t think some people realize the Leonard-type impact that a great SS could have on the other half of the field.

Not only is Abram a badass heat seeking missile, but it also sounds like he’s a good guy and teammate, things we know Ballard values.

VeveJones007
04-20-2019, 01:30 PM

I’m sticking with this list at 26/34. Excited that we’re finally under a week until days 1-2.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Based on the rumors that his draft position was dropping - Sweat has now decided not to attend the draft in person. He will watch it at home with his family in Georgia.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1119631759010881537

smitty46953
04-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Personally I don't see us trading up for anyone. Just gut feeling but I believe Ballard values the picks. Would love to see Brian Burns with a horseshoe on his helmet, but not going to happen.

With 26, 34, & 59 he should be able to get 3 guys who make an immediate impact. So in my opinion Simmons is not an option as he won't see the field in 2019, wouldn't even be in the conversation if not for injury. Sweat is another guy great talent but with the heart issue he is off my board.

So here is how I see it

Christian Wilkins if there but I don't think he falls past the Redskins at #15 or Titans at #19

#26 Jonathan Abram (Miss State / S)
#34 Dre'mont Jones (Ohio State / DT)
#59 Paris Campbell (Ohio State / WR)
:cool:

VeveJones007
04-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Personally I don't see us trading up for anyone. Just gut feeling but I believe Ballard values the picks. Would love to see Brian Burns with a horseshoe on his helmet, but not going to happen.

With 26, 34, & 59 he should be able to get 3 guys who make an immediate impact. So in my opinion Simmons is not an option as he won't see the field in 2019, wouldn't even be in the conversation if not for injury. Sweat is another guy great talent but with the heart issue he is off my board.

So here is how I see it

Christian Wilkins if there but I don't think he falls past the Redskins at #15 or Titans at #19

#26 Jonathan Abram (Miss State / S)
#34 Dre'mont Jones (Ohio State / DT)
#59 Paris Campbell (Ohio State / WR)

I could see this, but my personal preference would be Abram, Winovich/Ferguson, Jones. I think Jones will be there at 59, so that’s the big difference for me. I’m also assuming Simmons is gone by 26 there.

YDFL Commish
04-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Going strictly based on my eyes, I still think that Adderly is the best safety in the draft.

Puck
04-20-2019, 06:57 PM

He’s too smart to waste a pick in a WR

rcubed
04-20-2019, 08:36 PM
He’s too smart to waste a pick in a WR

not at 26 or 34, but maybe 59 if someone is there he likes.

Puck
04-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Ballard pushed hard for Collins but backed off when the bidding got crazy. Couple that with how important a quality SS is in this scheme, and you have a big need there. I don’t think some people realize the Leonard-type impact that a great SS could have on the other half of the field.

Not only is Abram a badass heat seeking missile, but it also sounds like he’s a good guy and teammate, things we know Ballard values.

Glad I’m not the only one that understands the value of a SS in this system.

Mr. Session
04-20-2019, 10:35 PM
Going strictly based on my eyes, I still think that Adderly is the best safety in the draft.

I hadn’t seen this kid before.

He’s got some real ball skills. Him and Hooker over the top could be a tough defensive look with a legitimate pass rush.

Dam8610
04-21-2019, 12:56 AM
I hadn’t seen this kid before.

He’s got some real ball skills. Him and Hooker over the top could be a tough defensive look with a legitimate pass rush.

If you don't want any run support from your safeties, sure.

njcoltfan
04-21-2019, 07:48 AM
If you listen to what Ballard has been preaching and saying since he became GM, ( building a team from the trenches out ), and he stays true to that, my best guess is that #26 and #34 will be IDL and Edge, not knowing who will be available I have absolutely no idea who they will be.

Oldcolt
04-21-2019, 10:32 AM
If you listen to what Ballard has been preaching and saying since he became GM, ( building a team from the trenches out ), and he stays true to that, my best guess is that #26 and #34 will be IDL and Edge, not knowing who will be available I have absolutely no idea who they will be.

Totally agree. Looking at the roster we have a huge need at cornerback with really only three guys you would trust. I'd expect at one in the first two rounds. Am also hopeful that we continue to feed the offensive line with a high pick (like in the first 4 rounds) and get some competition going there. Great being a Colt fan these days.

YDFL Commish
04-21-2019, 12:38 PM
If you don't want any run support from your safeties, sure.

Adderly hits, Hooker not so much.

VeveJones007
04-21-2019, 01:12 PM

If only there were a list of targets somewhere in this thread to give you an idea of who might be targeted.

VeveJones007
04-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Adderly hits, Hooker not so much.

Darnell Savage is another name to watch beginning at 59.

YDFL Commish
04-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Darnell Savage is another name to watch beginning at 59.

Yep, I like him as well. He's not strictly a downhill thumper. Just the kinda safety Ballard should be looking at.

njcoltfan
04-21-2019, 05:30 PM
If only there were a list of targets somewhere in this thread to give you an idea of who might be targeted.

The only list that counts is the one available when the Colts are on the clock.

VeveJones007
04-21-2019, 09:27 PM
The only list that counts is the one available when the Colts are on the clock.

Then why are you wasting your time in this thread?

Butter
04-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Then why are you wasting your time in this thread?

Thread shitting.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 11:43 AM
https://twitter.com/br_nfl/status/1120348276354682880?s=21

Lets just say I’m skeptical.

Dam8610
04-22-2019, 11:48 AM

I absolutely believe the Raiders are interested in him and that the Colts and Eagles are trying to convince them that they need to spend pick 24 for him instead of pick 27.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 12:40 PM
I absolutely believe the Raiders are interested in him and that the Colts and Eagles are trying to convince them that they need to spend pick 24 for him instead of pick 27.

If ever there was a team that you could bluff..

The Eagles/Colts teaming up to collude on duping the Raiders also fits.

FatDT
04-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Gonna be an OT.

Hard for me to imagine but I will also not complain about taking OL.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Hard for me to imagine but I will also not complain about taking OL.

It’s not my first choice by any means but I wouldn’t be irate over it like I was the Dorsett pick.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Gonna be an OT.

Doesn’t sound like any particular hurry there:

Ballard on how high the bar is raised after last year's successful 11-man class: "I think we just stay down the same path that we went. ... What our team did was outstanding work, but we'll try to do it again."

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Matt Miller @nfldraftscout
Montez Sweat stock bottomed out due to team medicals. Have heard from a few clubs that have him off the board. Of course it only takes one team, but the expectation now is he will drop. Could fall out of Round 1

Stephen Holder
This is 100 percent true. Have heard it multiple times. Teams are just not sure what to do. And before you ask, no, I don’t know where the Colts stand on Sweat. But they know what everyone else does.

I'm moving Montez Sweat down from sure-thing Top 15 pick to one of the pool of players who could be available & fits for the Colts at 26/34.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 01:49 PM

I'm filing this one under "the Colts front office leaves no stone unturned."

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Stephen Holder

Regarding pick No. 26, there is "a cluster of about eight players" they're ready to choose, Ballard said.

Stephen Holder

The positions of these players vary, Ballard said.

I'm going to do a rank of my 17 or so guys from the OP before Thursday. Intent is to try and figure out who those 8 players might be and what order the Colts may have them.

Chromeburn
04-22-2019, 02:07 PM
I'm moving Montez Sweat down from sure-thing Top 15 pick to one of the pool of players who could be available & fits for the Colts at 26/34.

So the one guy that Irsay tweeted about after his 40 may be available? I read somewhere Sweats condition is not as serious as Hurst’s last year. They had multiple opportunities to draft Hurst so I wonder if he is on the board?

Sweat falling means Burns moves up.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 02:32 PM
“You want to filter out the guys you know just don’t fit.” He said athletic, schematic and character factors can all either help or hurt a certain prospect.
Speaking of: Ballard did say there are players that have what could be considered “character risks” on this year’s Colts draft board, but “we’re comfortable with them.”

That tells me Jeffrey Simmons is on the board.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 03:06 PM
That tells me Jeffrey Simmons is on the board.

Wonder if that goes for Jachai Polite as well.

I think he has the potential to be a value steal if he gets into the right system where he can get good advice as opposed to the bad advice he’s apparently been getting from the idiots around him now.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Alright, below is my best guess at getting to Ballard's list of 8 players who are targets at #26. Obviously not all of them will be there, but I'm trying to rank order them so that we can try to gauge who BPA is at any given point. Yes, NJColtsfan, this is hypothetical, but I find it interesting so here we are.

From my previous list, I'm moving Sweat out of the assumed Top 15 due to his heart condition, and also moving Tillery, Fant, and Jacobs from the 2nd list into the consideration set.

I'm assuming the italicized players will be gone, which gets the list down to 11. If Sweat or Simmons are off their board for medical concerns, that brings it to 9.

1st Tier:
DT: Jeffrey Simmons (lower due to injury)
WR: Marquise Brown (I think they place more value on larger receivers)
OL: Chris Lindstrom
EDGE: Montez Sweat (heart condition)
DL: Jerry Tillery (my personal reservations that he isn't a great scheme fit)

2nd Tier (unranked, sure-fire 2nd rounders):

I think two players from Tier 1 will be there at 26 & 34, but we'll see. The 2nd tier is more of a preliminary target list for 59 IMO.

Dam8610
04-22-2019, 04:27 PM
If the Colts get Sweat and Simmons I'll be very happy. Two top 15 talents they have no business getting would go a long way toward building the defense.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 04:31 PM
If the Colts get Sweat and Simmons I'll be very happy. Two top 15 talents they have no business getting would go a long way toward building the defense.

No doubt, but I just don't see Ballard taking that degree of risk. One of them? Sure. Both of them? I can't see it.

Dam8610
04-22-2019, 04:46 PM
No doubt, but I just don't see Ballard taking that degree of risk. One of them? Sure. Both of them? I can't see it.

There's risk from a draft capital standpoint, but to me the reward potential of two perennial pro bowlers far outweighs it. To me, Sweat is the guy you have to get if available, he's top 5 from a pure talent standpoint in this draft IMO. I also wouldn't be disappointed with something like Sweat and Tillery.

Chromeburn
04-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Wonder if that goes for Jachai Polite as well.

I think he has the potential to be a value steal if he gets into the right system where he can get good advice as opposed to the bad advice he’s apparently been getting from the idiots around him now.

Polite didn’t interview well. I guess he rubbed a lot of teams the wrong way.

YDFL Commish
04-22-2019, 05:01 PM

I would take Baker off of the list, because reports are that he didn't interview well either.

This will be interesting to see what Eberflus and Ballard truly value at safety. I'm not high on Abram and Rapp and am higher on guys like Adderly and Savage. But there's also Deionte Thompson, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Jaun Thornhill and Amani Hooker.

Various sites have them all ranked differently and they all have their warts, which I believe make them all early to late 2nd round picks.

FatDT
04-22-2019, 05:07 PM

I followed that and it seemed like the media over-covered it. I think he got some bad advice from his agent and flubbed it some, but I've read people talking about him falling to day 3 of the draft and I just don't see that at all.

Dam8610
04-22-2019, 05:11 PM

I followed that and it seemed like the media over-covered it. I think he got some bad advice from his agent and flubbed it some, but I've read people talking about him falling to day 3 of the draft and I just don't see that at all.

Everything I read was that he was upset teams were showing him his bad plays and wouldn't break down the film they showed him with them. That's part of the draft (and the NFL) process. If he can't handle that, I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Colts.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
There's risk from a draft capital standpoint, but to me the reward potential of two perennial pro bowlers far outweighs it. To me, Sweat is the guy you have to get if available, he's top 5 from a pure talent standpoint in this draft IMO. I also wouldn't be disappointed with something like Sweat and Tillery.

I fully agree with you on the upside. I’m just pointing out that there’s a decent probability you could end up with nothing. Though the fact that there are pro soccer players in Europe playing through Sweat’s condition gives me a degree of optimism on his ability to have a long career.

FatDT
04-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Everything I read was that he was upset teams were showing him his bad plays and wouldn't break down the film they showed him with them. That's part of the draft (and the NFL) process. If he can't handle that, I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Colts.

That's the spin I read, the fuller account included his comments saying he understood it was their job to do that and, in context, he didn't sound that bad. Underprepared, which is his agents fault.

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 06:47 PM
That's the spin I read, the fuller account included his comments saying he understood it was their job to do that and, in context, he didn't sound that bad. Underprepared, which is his agents fault.

To be fair, you can be underprepared and still demonstrate a lack of maturity. Will be interesting to know how the Colts view him.

Dam8610
04-22-2019, 06:50 PM
I fully agree with you on the upside. I’m just pointing out that there’s a decent probability you could end up with nothing. Though the fact that there are pro soccer players in Europe playing through Sweat’s condition gives me a degree of optimism on his ability to have a long career.

There's a decent probability of ending up with nothing for any draft pick outside the top 10 (top 5?). To me, the reward outweighs the risk at 26 and 34.

Coltsalr
04-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Holder says, among other things, to expect Offensive Line early and he doesn’t see it with Jeffery Simmons and that it won’t be a WR and that they aren’t trading up/down:

Look for an early offensive line pick
You’d think the offensive line wouldn’t be a priority topic of conversation after a 2018 draft that netted the Colts a pair of offensive linemen at pick Nos. 3 and 37 overall. Quenton Nelson (No. 3) and Braden Smith (37) went on to become the starting left guard and right tackle, respectively. The Colts also have all five of their 2018 starting linemen returning, a rarity in the ever-changing NFL.

And yet, the Colts are still investing significant time evaluating various offensive linemen in this class, according to sources. That includes offensive linemen projected to be chosen in the first round. Specifically, the odds of an offensive line pick during the first two days of the draft (Rounds 1 through 3) are strong.

I don’t see the Colts picking Jeffery Simmons
There’s not much consensus on where Mississippi State standout defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons will be picked. He’s a difficult player to project given his recent torn ACL. Without it, he’d likely be an early first-round selection. With the injury, he’s perhaps a late-first-round choice. No one knows.

Either way, the possibility exists that he could be on the board when the Colts pick at No. 26 or 34. If so, then what?

Here’s what: The Colts pass. And it will be, in my humble opinion, as much because of his character flag as his injury. If Simmons heals, he could be a beast in 2020.

The first-rounder won’t be a wide receiver
This prediction is, admittedly, based more on gut feeling than hard information. But it’s not a mere dart thrown at the proverbial board, either.

The Colts in the past two offseasons haven’t shown any real urgency about the wide receiver position. While they signed free agent Devin Funchess to a significant one-year, $10 million contract this spring, the key words there are “one year.” That is hardly a long-term commitment and is not the kind of move a team makes when it is deeply concerned about a particular unit.

The Colts don’t seem to view receiver the same way they do offensive or defensive line and other critical positions. That doesn’t mean they are willing to play with just anyone. But because of the confidence coach Frank Reich possesses — he believes he can win with truly elite talent at the position — it’s very possible the Colts will prioritize other areas in Round 1 (to be clear, a receiver pick feels likely in subsequent rounds).

The Colts won’t trade up or down at No. 26
I don’t have a crystal ball, so I’m going out on a shaky limb here.

But, here’s the rationale for this prediction: The Colts, as Ballard said Monday, have a “cluster” of eight players they have targeted for the No. 26 pick. They are extremely confident one or more of them will be available. If they’re right, it seems likely they’re content to let one of their preferred players fall to them and then pounce. Ballard and others around the league have said there are fewer truly elite players at the top of this draft, so unless one of the very best players falls unexpectedly, it’s not a given there is someone they even consider worthy of trading up for.

As for the trade-down possibility, I don’t see it. Here’s why: There’s a growing consensus that the depth of the draft is consistent throughout the second round and into the third round. If that’s true, are you going to be motivated to trade up to No. 26 if you’re a team possessing an early- to mid-second-round pick? The conventional wisdom — obviously without knowing which players will be available — is to stay put and get a player of comparable talent

https://theathletic.com/938751/2019/04/22/holder-five-bold-predictions-on-the-colts-2019-draft/?amp#click=https://t.co/S7kQZMmmps

VeveJones007
04-22-2019, 08:19 PM
Interesting that Holder doesn't think the Colts would take Simmons. He tends to be tuned in pretty well to the front office.

apballin
04-22-2019, 09:25 PM
I still say DT, but the RB from bama wouldn’t surprise me keep hearing his name thrown around since the game of horse with Reich and add in they brought in ajayi and decided not to sign him. The more I read about the Jacobs guy the more he screams horseshoe

Luck4Reich
04-22-2019, 09:31 PM
I still say DT, but the RB from bama wouldn’t surprise me keep hearing his name thrown around since the game of horse with Reich and add in they brought in ajayi and decided not to sign him. The more I read about the Jacobs guy the more he screams horseshoe

They are not taking a RB at 26.

apballin
04-22-2019, 10:50 PM

I don’t want them to but it wouldn’t surprise me

Butter
04-22-2019, 11:16 PM

I sure as shit hope not.

Dewey 5
04-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Holder says, among other things, to expect Offensive Line early and he doesn’t see it with Jeffery Simmons and that it won’t be a WR and that they aren’t trading up/down:

https://theathletic.com/938751/2019/04/22/holder-five-bold-predictions-on-the-colts-2019-draft/?amp#click=https://t.co/S7kQZMmmps

Going OL in the first two rounds doesn't make sense to me. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

smitty46953
04-23-2019, 12:27 AM

I sure hope Ballard hasn't been drinking from same water cooler that Grigson did... Flashbacks of the Phillip Dorsett selection in 2015. I hated that pick with a passion. :cool:

Butter
04-23-2019, 12:28 AM
Going OL in the first two rounds doesn't make sense to me. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I can only wrap my head around it if a LT prospect drops and he plays RT until Constanzo retires and Smith moves to RG.

Coltsalr
04-23-2019, 07:34 AM
I can only wrap my head around it if a LT prospect drops and he plays RT until Constanzo retires and Smith moves to RG.

And Glowinski becomes a super-sub (or Castonzo just departs via free agency next year).

I mean, it’s not a TERRIBLE idea, but given some of the holes elsewhere that seem a bit more dire, augmenting an already strong (for once) OL is a bit uninspiring.

That said, I’m sure 2008-2018 Coltsalr would kill 2019 Coltsalr for being so cavalier about investing in the OL. That, and I do really like Greg Little (who’s projected to fall to the 2nd round). So if they did that, I wouldn’t be irate.

FatDT
04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
The OL, from strongest to weakest (this is by player, not position):

Nelson - Rookie All-Pro who should continue to get better.
Smith - I expect a big jump in quality, and his rookie year was pretty good. He may move to RG but he's a starter going forward.
Castonzo - Healthy most of his career and not that old. I expect he'll get contract from the team.
Kelly - Arguably the 2nd most-talented blocker on the line, especially when you consider what he offers pre-snap. But he is hurt a lot.
Glowinski - Played well, but is clearly the least-talented starter

From this perspective an interior OL that can be a better backup/replacement for Kelly and/or can push Glowinski down the depth chart could make sense. After so many years of shit OL I am not going to complain about a 2nd or 3rd round pick there. Not my first choice but I wouldn't hate it.

The fact that the Colts have been talked about for Josh Jacobs tells me there's a 0% chance we're drafting him in the 1st. Ballard isn't going to tell anyone the truth there and neither is anyone on his staff. NFL people lie like rugs this time of year.

Luck4Reich
04-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Thinking about that O-line with a year under their belt and going through a training camp as a unit and gelling together more is exciting to see how good they can really become. The continued progress at depth will be huge too. Cant wait for the draft and next season!

smitty46953
04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michigan DL Rashan Gary has a labral tear in his shoulder.

Gary reportedly suffered the injury in college but was able to play through it. Rapoport adds "most believe he can play this season" before getting the shoulder fixed next offseason. Still, it is a red flag for a player who was already a polarizing prospect. Despite outstanding testing numbers, it is possible Gary falls out of the first round.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

‎Apr‎ ‎23‎, ‎2019‎ ‎9‎:‎19‎ ‎AM

Oldcolt
04-23-2019, 11:21 AM
I have no problem going offensive line early, even the first round. This teams identity is being built around a dominant offensive line. These five guys will not play every game. Start to make that dominance injury proof.

I believe running back is devalued because coaching are still figuring out how to get the most out of them with the emphasis so much on passing. If you see them in sort of the same light as the NBA is seeing players, position-less it can help. If the guy has the ability to line up outside and be a receiving threat, can block and run well I still think there is a place for a running back in the first round. I'm not sold on Jacobs because he lacks break away speed. That said, Polian said you need playmakers and he appears to be one.

My perfect draft would be heavy on defense (esp line) with at least one offensive lineman in the first two days.

VeveJones007
04-23-2019, 12:51 PM
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michigan DL Rashan Gary has a labral tear in his shoulder.

Gary reportedly suffered the injury in college but was able to play through it. Rapoport adds "most believe he can play this season" before getting the shoulder fixed next offseason. Still, it is a red flag for a player who was already a polarizing prospect. Despite outstanding testing numbers, it is possible Gary falls out of the first round.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

‎Apr‎ ‎23‎, ‎2019‎ ‎9‎:‎19‎ ‎AM

This actually worries me. Gary has great traits, but I'm concerned about players with traits who don't have production.

FatDT
04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
This actually worries me. Gary has great traits, but I'm concerned about players with traits who don't have production.

Gary is just a terrible prospect. With so much athleticism, he didn't play well in college. Players with great athletic traits should dominate lesser competition in spite of bad technique, poor football knowledge, whatever it is they're lacking. Gary didn't do that. Add this ongoing shoulder injury and I wouldn't draft him until the 3rd at the earliest, with the idea that his rookie year is basically a redshirt year while he gets healthy and works on being better at football.

Chromeburn
04-23-2019, 01:41 PM
I have no problem going offensive line early, even the first round. This teams identity is being built around a dominant offensive line. These five guys will not play every game. Start to make that dominance injury proof.

I believe running back is devalued because coaching are still figuring out how to get the most out of them with the emphasis so much on passing. If you see them in sort of the same light as the NBA is seeing players, position-less it can help. If the guy has the ability to line up outside and be a receiving threat, can block and run well I still think there is a place for a running back in the first round. I'm not sold on Jacobs because he lacks break away speed. That said, Polian said you need playmakers and he appears to be one.

My perfect draft would be heavy on defense (esp line) with at least one offensive lineman in the first two days.

I would prefer they go BPA. I assume that will be defense since it is a good defensive draft. But if they go oline I won’t be too upset. I was actually looking at Garret Bradbury and wondering what he would look like with this line. That guy has a high ceiling and can really move for a big man.

VeveJones007
04-23-2019, 01:50 PM
We've mentioned him briefly, but I could see some scenarios where Chris Lindstrom is an early 2nd round pick for the Colts. He could have enough versatility to line up anywhere from C/RG/RT, which would offer a lot of valuable depth for the Colts.

smitty46953
04-23-2019, 01:58 PM

Yes, I have just been hoping someone else before us picks him. If he falls out of first round our chances of getting Wilkins decreases. :cool:

Coltsalr
04-23-2019, 02:44 PM
We've mentioned him briefly, but I could see some scenarios where Chris Lindstrom is an early 2nd round pick for the Colts. He could have enough versatility to line up anywhere from C/RG/RT, which would offer a lot of valuable depth for the Colts.

Too much of a luxury for my tastes.

God, I can't believe I now consider the OL to be a luxury.

Discflinger
04-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Too much of a luxury for my tastes.

God, I can't believe I now consider the OL to be a luxury.

Welcome to Ballardville.

FatDT
04-23-2019, 04:15 PM
I know some of you are against the idea of Dexter Lawrence for the Colts. I get it. But I've been researching all the Clemson DL prospects. Vevejones I am not doing this to mess with you.

This kid had 7 sacks his freshman year. After that season, with Wilkins next to him, he was asked to play nose and was taken out on pass rush downs in favor of their "racecar" package.

He ran a 5.0 40 at 342 lbs. The guy could lose 15 lbs and still be the biggest man on the field most of the time.

Is he really just a 0/1 tech? Or is that the role he was asked to play on one of the most stacked college DLs of all-time? If he was a 3 tech for Auburn, with the same stats this year as his freshman year, would we be talking about top 10 pick Dexter Lawrence, with no chance we could possibly draft him?

I think that possibility is why people are talking about Lawrence to the Colts at 26 or 34.

JAFF
04-23-2019, 04:43 PM
I would prefer they go BPA. I assume that will be defense since it is a good defensive draft. But if they go oline I won’t be too upset. I was actually looking at Garret Bradbury and wondering what he would look like with this line. That guy has a high ceiling and can really move for a big man.

This is a very low quality draft for O linemen. Throwing first round money at a 3rd round talent doesn't make sense. I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts traded out of the first round to get more picks

Discflinger
04-23-2019, 04:52 PM
I don't know anything about what TEs are out there, but with what Frank likes to do with the offense, I really wouldn't be surprised to see one in the third or shortly thereafter.

VeveJones007
04-23-2019, 06:27 PM
I know some of you are against the idea of Dexter Lawrence for the Colts. I get it. But I've been researching all the Clemson DL prospects. Vevejones I am not doing this to mess with you.

This kid had 7 sacks his freshman year. After that season, with Wilkins next to him, he was asked to play nose and was taken out on pass rush downs in favor of their "racecar" package.

He ran a 5.0 40 at 342 lbs. The guy could lose 15 lbs and still be the biggest man on the field most of the time.

Is he really just a 0/1 tech? Or is that the role he was asked to play on one of the most stacked college DLs of all-time? If he was a 3 tech for Auburn, with the same stats this year as his freshman year, would we be talking about top 10 pick Dexter Lawrence, with no chance we could possibly draft him?

I think that possibility is why people are talking about Lawrence to the Colts at 26 or 34.

I’ve harped enough on the scheme fit side of Lawrence, but how about the PED bust? Do we really think Ballard is going to spend such a high pick on someone who got busted for PEDs?

FatDT
04-23-2019, 08:16 PM
I’ve harped enough on the scheme fit side of Lawrence, but how about the PED bust? Do we really think Ballard is going to spend such a high pick on someone who got busted for PEDs?

Better now than after he’s on an NFL roster!

Puck
04-23-2019, 08:31 PM
This is a very low quality draft for O linemen. Throwing first round money at a 3rd round talent doesn't make sense. I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts traded out of the first round to get more picks

Gil Brandt disagrees with you... as do I

He has 11 of the top 50 players as oline

So no idea what you’re basing your nonsense on

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft

Here is another site that lists 15 of the top 100 players as oline. 7 of which are in the top 50

https://www.draftace.com/2019-top-100/

Daniel Jeremiah has 9 Olineman in the top 50 and 5 in the top 32

apballin
04-23-2019, 09:25 PM

We got our anchor for the O line last year, now we need one for the D line and Lawrence fits to me and I’ll enjoy watching him and Nelson battle in training camp

VeveJones007
04-23-2019, 09:35 PM
We got our anchor for the O line last year, now we need one for the D line and Lawrence fits to me and I’ll enjoy watching him and Nelson battle in training camp

At least Nelson can play 3 downs.

Honestly, I don’t think Lawrence is even on the Colts board.

apballin
04-23-2019, 09:57 PM
At least Nelson can play 3 downs.

Honestly, I don’t think Lawrence is even on the Colts board.

I don’t care about playing all 3 downs, that’s fine with me if he’s stopping the run keeping linemen off maniac for 2 downs and keeping Hunt or Autry fresh for passing situations

Chromeburn
04-23-2019, 11:14 PM
I don't know anything about what TEs are out there, but with what Frank likes to do with the offense, I really wouldn't be surprised to see one in the third or shortly thereafter.

I like Dax Raymond, had a good senior bowl. Kaden Smith (think that’s his name) from Stanford catches everything thrown at him, and you know they taught him to block at Stanford. The UCLA kid is an A+ athlete. And there was a sleeper from a lower tier Cali school who is a good player, can’t remember his name.

Chromeburn
04-23-2019, 11:17 PM

Lidstrom, Bradbury and Edoga as a developmental tackle are the only guys I’m interested in. There should be some decent centers late in the draft also as a backup.

Chromeburn
04-23-2019, 11:24 PM

King Kong vs Godzilla?

Butter
04-23-2019, 11:52 PM
King Kong vs Godzilla?

Unstoppable force vs immovable object.

VeveJones007
04-24-2019, 10:13 AM
DT: Jeffrey Simmons (lower due to injury)
WR: Marquise Brown (I think they place more value on larger receivers)
OL: Chris Lindstrom
EDGE: Montez Sweat (heart condition)
DL: Jerry Tillery (my personal reservations that he isn't a great scheme fit)

I’m thinking about where on this list I would strongly consider trading down. Probably after Ferrell, which I think is fairly likely that him and the guys above him will be gone by 26. Wonder if Ballard could get NYG or DEN to move up from early in Rd2.

Discflinger
04-24-2019, 12:39 PM
In cheerleader news, I miss Stephanie. Anyone see her at the restaurant? Lol I know...

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
04-25-2019, 01:40 PM

And now today (just in time for the draft), there are rumors that Sweat's condition was misdiagnosed at the Combine. Follow-up testing showed little to no risk to his health.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/status/1121459952046895104

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1121461567336402945

Dam8610
04-25-2019, 02:04 PM
And now today (just in time for the draft), there are rumors that Sweat's condition was misdiagnosed at the Combine. Follow-up testing showed little to no risk to his health.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/status/1121459952046895104

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1121461567336402945

1) Will teams trust that?
2) Could teams adjust their boards that quickly?

VeveJones007
04-25-2019, 02:06 PM
1) Will teams trust that?
2) Could teams adjust their boards that quickly?

Luckily we only have a few more hours to find out rather than weeks or days.

Dam8610
04-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Luckily we only have a few more hours to find out rather than weeks or days.

Which is also advantageous in not allowing any teams to run any additional medicals on him.

VeveJones007
04-26-2019, 01:02 AM
Several really solid options still available tomorrow. Here’s a quick list:

S: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
S: Nasir Adderley
CB: Justin Layne
CB: Rock Ya-Sin
CB: Lonnie Johnson
EDGE: Chase Winovich
RG/RT: Cody Ford
RT: Jawaan Taylor (knee)

What other guys do you have as Day 2 targets?

smitty46953
04-26-2019, 01:25 AM
WR Hakeem Butler
LB Mack Wilson

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Puck
04-26-2019, 02:11 AM
Jawaan Taylor.