PDA

View Full Version : 35 years ago today...

Colt Classic
03-28-2019, 06:23 PM
https://www.wthr.com/article/colts-35-years-later-secret-between-neighbors-changed-city

Butter
03-28-2019, 07:32 PM
The Colts came over on the Mayflowers.

Racehorse
03-28-2019, 08:34 PM
I thought this was a Colts and Oreos thread at first.

Luck4Reich
03-28-2019, 08:56 PM
I thought this was a Colts and Oreos thread at first.

No, but I'm sure he will dig this thread up a few times over the next 35.:cool:

Chromeburn
03-28-2019, 09:58 PM
Colts have been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore now

njcoltfan
03-29-2019, 07:33 AM
Colts have been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore now
it would be nice if they started to win some Championships like they did in Baltimore !!

JAFF
03-29-2019, 08:48 AM
it would be nice if they started to win some Championships like they did in Baltimore !!

They have. 2 AFC and one super bowl

DrSpaceman
03-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Since this is a nostalgia thread I am wondering if the old time Colts fans from the Baltimore days might be able to answer this :

Why did the Colts part ways with Shula? He was 71-23-4 in his time with the team, they famously lost SB III and the 1964 NFL championship game, but the team was first or second in the division every year with him there except his first, he had no losing seasons. In 1967 and 1968 combined they were 24-2-2, an amazing record, though they lost the SB after 68 and seems they were kind of screwed over on a tiebreaker in 1967 with the Rams based on points scored. One season later after going a mediocre but respectable 8-5-1 he goes to Miami.

Was it a matter of him just failing in the big games and not winning titles? He was only 39 at the time he left them, only 33 when they hired him. Seems it was a big like Dungy/Gruden in Tampa, ironically, since the Colts were on the other end of that one with Dungy. The got rid of Shula and won the SB the next year, but after 1971 until they left Baltimore they had only 3 winnings seasons, in 1975-1977 under Marchibroda. And 7 of those season were not just "losing" seasons but bad seasons with 5 wins or less.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

rcubed
03-29-2019, 12:38 PM
C&O in 3...2...1...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njcoltfan
03-29-2019, 01:01 PM
Since this is a nostalgia thread I am wondering if the old time Colts fans from the Baltimore days might be able to answer this :

Why did the Colts part ways with Shula? He was 71-23-4 in his time with the team, they famously lost SB III and the 1964 NFL championship game, but the team was first or second in the division every year with him there except his first, he had no losing seasons. In 1967 and 1968 combined they were 24-2-2, an amazing record, though they lost the SB after 68 and seems they were kind of screwed over on a tiebreaker in 1967 with the Rams based on points scored. One season later after going a mediocre but respectable 8-5-1 he goes to Miami.

Was it a matter of him just failing in the big games and not winning titles? He was only 39 at the time he left them, only 33 when they hired him. Seems it was a big like Dungy/Gruden in Tampa, ironically, since the Colts were on the other end of that one with Dungy. The got rid of Shula and won the SB the next year, but after 1971 until they left Baltimore they had only 3 winnings seasons, in 1975-1977 under Marchibroda. And 7 of those season were not just "losing" seasons but bad seasons with 5 wins or less.

If i'm not mistaken, he bolted on the Colts, and the Dolphins had to give the Colts their first round pick in the following draft. C&O does probably know more.

Oldcolt
03-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Shula was the hot young coach. Joe Robbie wanted him in the worst way and if I'm correct gave him control and a ton of money. Rosenbloom didn't think Shula was worth it so he essentially traded him for a first round draft choice. the Colts ended up getting Don McCauley with the pick. He was an ok back.

JAFF
03-29-2019, 03:19 PM
Shula was the hot young coach. Joe Robbie wanted him in the worst way and if I'm correct gave him control and a ton of money. Rosenbloom didn't think Shula was worth it so he essentially traded him for a first round draft choice. the Colts ended up getting Don McCauley with the pick. He was an ok back.

No, not really

Colt Classic
03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
So it's a general Colts nostalgia thread...

Here are a few Colt Classics that I wish I could find to watch again:

1. Colts vs. Broncos, Halloween Monday Night Football: The Eric Dickerson game

2. The play where Marvin Harrison ran by Deion Sanders (of the Cowboys at the time) and Deion didn't move since he was busy eyeballing the run fake.

3. Colts vs. Dolphins, October 26, 1992 https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-10-26-sp-840-story.html Mainly just would like to see the final drive where it looked like the same ol' Dan Marino leading the Dolphins to a game-winning score. I still remember Emtman snagging the ball and running for the TD.

There are probably others, but I've seen most of the Manning-era (and newer) moments many times over. These stick out as memories I can't find to watch anywhere.

Luck4Reich
03-29-2019, 05:46 PM

2. The play where Marvin Harrison ran by Deion Sanders (of the Cowboys at the time) and Deion didn't move since he was busy eyeballing the run fake.

3. Colts vs. Dolphins, October 26, 1992 https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-10-26-sp-840-story.html Mainly just would like to see the final drive where it looked like the same ol' Dan Marino leading the Dolphins to a game-winning score. I still remember Emtman snagging the ball and running for the TD.

There are probably others, but I've seen most of the Manning-era (and newer) moments many times over. These stick out as memories I can't find to watch anywhere.

I will always remember that Monday Night game with Dickerson. I was in surgery that morning. That game made some pain I was having go away.

Luck4Reich
03-29-2019, 05:50 PM
I think Deion paid to have that footage burned lol.
Didnt he claim he hurt his Hammy? Bahah.:D

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/04/time-marvin-harrison-dusted-deion-sanders/79856476/

He claimed he was watching Edge
.. yeah like you ever tackled someone Deion!! Hahahah

YDFL Commish
03-29-2019, 07:08 PM
No, not really

No not really what? McCauley was an ok RB. He was a good pass catcher and kick returner and had more speed than many people think.

He wasn't the greatest runner because he just didn't have any wiggle or juking ability.

He should have never been a 1st round pick...so I would compare him very much to Donald Brown in that regard.

JAFF
03-29-2019, 08:42 PM
I think Deion paid to have that footage burned lol.
Didnt he claim he hurt his Hammy? Bahah.:D

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/04/time-marvin-harrison-dusted-deion-sanders/79856476/

He claimed he was watching Edge
.. yeah like you ever tackled someone Deion!! Hahahah

That was the game when Smith the punter ran him down and tackled sanders. I was there, Marvin left Deion like a car on blocks.

Thorgrim
03-29-2019, 10:04 PM
No not really what? McCauley was an ok RB. He was a good pass catcher and kick returner and had more speed than many people think.

He wasn't the greatest runner because he just didn't have any wiggle or juking ability.

He should have never been a 1st round pick...so I would compare him very much to Donald Brown in that regard.

McCauleys greatest asset was as a third down back. At one point in the late 70’s he had a phenomenal ratio of successfully converting to first downs, nevertheless he probably should not have been a first round pick.

Voosh
03-30-2019, 09:09 PM

I remember watching that game where Emtman ran back that TD. Too bad about his bum knee.

Butter
03-31-2019, 12:07 AM
I remember watching that game where Emtman ran back that TD. Too bad about his bum knee.

Dude had shit knees, though I suspect it was a roid thing. He was a beast the few games he was healthy.

TheMugwump
03-31-2019, 08:55 AM

My favorite Colts RB ever. He was more than okay, he was an all-around solid RB and great locker room guy, and the prototype for the third-down RB that became so popular in the 80's and 90's. I think he even punted a few times. At least he did in college and had the ability to do it.

Listening to Colts games back in the day, Jones to Carr was exciting to hear, but Jones to McCauley on third down was money.

Oldcolt
03-31-2019, 09:55 AM
My favorite Colts RB ever. He was more than okay, he was an all-around solid RB and great locker room guy, and the prototype for the third-down RB that became so popular in the 80's and 90's. I think he even punted a few times. At least he did in college and had the ability to do it.

Listening to Colts games back in the day, Jones to Carr was exciting to hear, but Jones to McCauley on third down was money.

You're right about him being solid. Great third down back. But compared to Shula I would say it is a trade the Colts lost. JAFF what is no not really? Did I get the facts wrong (a distinct possibility) or did you thing I undervalued McCauley.

JAFF
03-31-2019, 12:09 PM
You're right about him being solid. Great third down back. But compared to Shula I would say it is a trade the Colts lost. JAFF what is no not really? Did I get the facts wrong (a distinct possibility) or did you thing I undervalued McCauley.

Just an opinion. My memories may not be as accurate as yours

Hoopsdoc
03-31-2019, 01:33 PM
So, what time does bingo start around here?

Puck
03-31-2019, 01:52 PM

Epic post!

Dewey 5
03-31-2019, 02:16 PM

Check me on this but I don't think it was a trade but the Colts got the Dolphins 1st round pick for tampering by Robbie.

DrSpaceman
03-31-2019, 02:41 PM

This is my "big idea" moneymaker I wish someone would come up with :
Sportsflix

It would be Netflix for sports. All the old NFL, NBA, college games available to those who want to watch them

I don't claim to know sports law or entertainment law, or the technology of the process, well enough to say how it should or could be done, but would love it if such a thing existed.

I guess you could throw in MLB too if you want. I would never watch that though

For the NFL games they could even do the shortened version, cut them down to 30 minutes like they do now for NFL Replay.

Oldcolt
03-31-2019, 05:01 PM
Check me on this but I don't think it was a trade but the Colts got the Dolphins 1st round pick for tampering by Robbie.

Correct you are.

Chromeburn
03-31-2019, 08:42 PM

It starts right after Country Kitchen Buffet opens.

JAFF
03-31-2019, 09:20 PM
It starts right after Country Kitchen Buffet opens.

They better have a chocolate fountain

PowayColt
04-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Since this is a nostalgia thread I am wondering if the old time Colts fans from the Baltimore days might be able to answer this : In 1967 and 1968 combined they were 24-2-2, an amazing record, though they lost the SB after 68 and seems they were kind of screwed over on a tiebreaker in 1967 with the Rams based on points scored. One season later after going a mediocre but respectable 8-5-1 he goes to Miami.

In 1967 the Colts and Rams tied for first in the Coastal Division with an 11-1-2 record. Rams won the tie-breaker due to head-to-head games. Rams won one, the other was a tie. There was no wild card set up so despite being tied for the best record in the league the Colts didn't go to the playoffs. I was 11 years old. I cried.:(

TheMugwump
04-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Oh, you are absolutely right that the Dolphins got far the better of that. Shula stays in Baltimore, Indy may not even have a team, who knows. Yeah, getting Shula made Miami.

I just saw Don McC's name and got excited. Plus, he's a UNC legend, and I work in Chapel Hill.

TheMugwump
04-03-2019, 10:15 PM
This is my "big idea" moneymaker I wish someone would come up with :
Sportsflix

It would be Netflix for sports. All the old NFL, NBA, college games available to those who want to watch them

I don't claim to know sports law or entertainment law, or the technology of the process, well enough to say how it should or could be done, but would love it if such a thing existed.

I guess you could throw in MLB too if you want. I would never watch that though

For the NFL games they could even do the shortened version, cut them down to 30 minutes like they do now for NFL Replay.

Love this. Add the NHL, Golf, and NASCAR, and it'd likely be a moneymaker. I'd love to re-watch some Edmonton Oiler games from the early Gretzky years. And anything with Bobby Orr.

Colt Classic
04-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Love this. Add the NHL, Golf, and NASCAR, and it'd likely be a moneymaker. I'd love to re-watch some Edmonton Oiler games from the early Gretzky years. And anything with Bobby Orr.

Sounds like it'd be a good idea, but unless they included everything available in the entire sports world it would likely fall short and end up being like ESPN Classic where it's always the same few NBA games, the same few NASCAR races, and the same few NFL games that have all been aired countless times before.