PDA

View Full Version : Lance Zeirlien ranks the position groups

Puck
03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024108/article/2019-nfl-draft-ranking-position-groups-strongest-to-weakest

If you take the reasoning behind this article then it could make things very interesting come draft day. I think Zeirlien is pretty good.

WR not a very strong unit in 1st. Pat Kerwin said he has no WR with 1st round grades.

Safety could/should be found in round late 2 - 4

interior dline is rated the highest but dont see much falling to 26. But if there is one,, I hope this is the pick.

Oline..... this could be the area to take an OT to replace Smith and then AC in the future. Wouldnt be surprised to see OT in the 1st

No to CB's and no to LBers

DrSpaceman
03-27-2019, 05:11 PM
This was the most interesting thing in the article for me as a Colts Fan :

Edge :
"Depending on whether or not teams reach for rushers, the strength of this position should be from about pick No. 24 until the end of the third round."

When do the Colts have a bunch of picks? Right after 24, 4 picks from 26 to the end of the 3rd round

One mock I saw yesterday had Dexter Lawrence going to the Colts as well. Wouldn't mind that either.

Dam8610
03-27-2019, 06:11 PM
This was the most interesting thing in the article for me as a Colts Fan :

Edge :
"Depending on whether or not teams reach for rushers, the strength of this position should be from about pick No. 24 until the end of the third round."

When do the Colts have a bunch of picks? Right after 24, 4 picks from 26 to the end of the 3rd round

One mock I saw yesterday had Dexter Lawrence going to the Colts as well. Wouldn't mind that either.

If it's the CBS Sports one, that was dumb considering Gary was on the board. I'd be stunned to see that from Ballard.

FatDT
03-27-2019, 08:56 PM
If it's the CBS Sports one, that was dumb considering Gary was on the board. I'd be stunned to see that from Ballard.

Rashan Gary? That guy sucks.

Luck4Reich
03-27-2019, 09:01 PM

That physique and that 40 though!:cool:

Dam8610
03-28-2019, 01:23 AM

He's a much better fit than Dexter Lawrence for the defensive system the Colts are running.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 06:51 AM
That physique and that 40 though!:cool:

Did he make plays?

JAFF
03-28-2019, 07:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024108/article/2019-nfl-draft-ranking-position-groups-strongest-to-weakest

Oline..... this could be the area to take an OT to replace Smith and then AC in the future. Wouldnt be surprised to see OT in the 1st

Why would they draft an OT to replace Smith?

Chromeburn
03-28-2019, 07:49 AM
Why would they draft an OT to replace Smith?

Only if they thought they would upgrade it and move Smith back inside. But I don’t really see that happening. If they draft a tackle they would probably be hoping he could replace AC.

Guys will reach for edge rushers. Always do. DT then edge or safety is my guess. Depending on who is there.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Only if they thought they would upgrade it and move Smith back inside. But I don’t really see that happening. If they draft a tackle they would probably be hoping he could replace AC.

Guys will reach for edge rushers. Always do. DT then edge or safety is my guess. Depending on who is there.

The colts are on the edge of being a contender. The first round pick needs to play NOW. Why would the mess with the O line when it was fine when Kelly was healthy. They payed gowlinski starter money, they arent moving smith inside. If they take an o line guy, it should be a center.

They need more talent at wr, de, dbs. Right now.

Luck4Reich
03-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Did he make plays?

You are a little slow at reading sarcasm lol
I dont even know who the fuck this player is.

Dam likes the guys with the physique and 40 times.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
You are a little slow at reading sarcasm lol
I dont even know who the fuck this player is.

I know it when i hear it, im old. Could you use itallics next time?

FatDT
03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
He's a much better fit than Dexter Lawrence for the defensive system the Colts are running.

I'm not saying anything about Lawrence. I"m saying Gary probably won't succeed anywhere in the NFL because he's a great athlete but a bad football player.

rcubed
03-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Stop stealing omaha’s lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puck
03-28-2019, 10:08 AM
The colts are on the edge of being a contender. The first round pick needs to play NOW. Why would the mess with the O line when it was fine when Kelly was healthy. They payed gowlinski starter money, they arent moving smith inside. If they take an o line guy, it should be a center.

Kelly is our second best olineman. So we wouldnt draft a center to play now.

LT is something that has to be addressed sooner than later. Having the opportunity to draft one of the top tackles in a heavy defensive draft means one of the top two or so will drop to 26.

Drafting the future LT and moving Smith to Guard over Glowinski makes the Oline more than "fine" it makes it great.

Glow would be great depth or if he beats out smith then so be it.

I believe one of our biggest needs is SS but after reading this article I say no way we should reach for one at 26. Obviously if one of the top NT or UT fall to us you grab them.

But OT is not a bad option at all.

Build the trenches the rest will fall into place

JAFF
03-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Kelly is our second best olineman. So we wouldnt draft a center to play now.

LT is something that has to be addressed sooner than later. Having the opportunity to draft one of the top tackles in a heavy defensive draft means one of the top two or so will drop to 26.

Drafting the future LT and moving Smith to Guard over Glowinski makes the Oline more than "fine" it makes it great.

Glow would be great depth or if he beats out smith then so be it.

I believe one of our biggest needs is SS but after reading this article I say no way we should reach for one at 26. Obviously if one of the top NT or UT fall to us you grab them.

But OT is not a bad option at all.

Build the trenches the rest will fall into place

You think the D’s biggest need is at the backend of the squad when the need a legit passrusher up front?

Houstons a nice addition hes not freeny. Its a qb league and if you cant knock down the other teams qb, its hard to win

Costanzo is 30. Hardly looking to retire.

VeveJones007
03-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Here's what we're rooting for in the top 25 picks. At least:

3 QBs
1 RB
2 WRs
2 TEs
5 OL
2 LBs
2 CBs
4 DT
4 EDGE

If it breaks that way, there will be some really good options on the DL, SS, and WR for picks 26 and 34. The question marks are guys like Jacobs, Fant, Bradbury, and whoever people like as CB2. If those guys fall and teams take DL and SS at those spots, options get a lot more limited.

VeveJones007
03-28-2019, 11:30 AM
I'm not saying anything about Lawrence. I"m saying Gary probably won't succeed anywhere in the NFL because he's a great athlete but a bad football player.

I'd much rather get Winovich at 59.

Coming out of the 1st & 2nd rounds with something like Simmons/Wilkins, Rapp/Abram, and an end like Winovich would be a fantastic haul. Then grab a corner or two and a WR in the middle rounds and the roster is chalk full of depth and potential.

VeveJones007
03-28-2019, 12:04 PM

If you take the reasoning behind this article then it could make things very interesting come draft day. I think Zeirlien is pretty good.

WR not a very strong unit in 1st. Pat Kerwin said he has no WR with 1st round grades.

Safety could/should be found in round late 2 - 4

interior dline is rated the highest but dont see much falling to 26. But if there is one,, I hope this is the pick.

Re: OL

Zak Keefer

One of the best lines from Chris Ballard during our long chat in AZ, after saying that he thinks there's a ton of great defensive talent in this draft: "(And) even looking at o-line, I think there’s some pretty good o-linemen in this draft ... wouldn’t that freak everybody out?"

Given the options that should be available at positions of need, I still doubt we see an OL taken until the 3rd at the earliest.

Oldcolt
03-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Kelly is great when healthy. He gets hurt and the offense takes a dive. We need a better quality backup. It would not surprise me if one of our first three picks is an offensive lineman. Ballard tends to put his money where his mouth is.

Chromeburn
03-28-2019, 03:20 PM

You take what the draft gives you. Draft the best player you can because that guy will have a better impact on your team and in a game than an average player at a need position. I would say QB is the exception to that rule.

Also I was talking about tackle, not center. However Kelly has been hurt s lot so a late round pick on center would not be crazy.

But if you draft a lower talented guy at a position of need doesn’t just mean that guy will have an impact. This is a decent tackle class, if a guy is there and he is better than other options then you take him. It’s just a matter of weighing position and importance. You can always fill with FA afterwards if you need too.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 05:12 PM
You take what the draft gives you. Draft the best player you can because that guy will have a better impact on your team and in a game than an average player at a need position. I would say QB is the exception to that rule.

Also I was talking about tackle, not center. However Kelly has been hurt s lot so a late round pick on center would not be crazy.

But if you draft a lower talented guy at a position of need doesn’t just mean that guy will have an impact. This is a decent tackle class, if a guy is there and he is better than other options then you take him. It’s just a matter of weighing position and importance. You can always fill with FA afterwards if you need too.

I'm not arguing that. The D needs help, more than the O needs a backup L tackle

YDFL Commish
03-28-2019, 06:39 PM

It really just depends on what the Colts plans are for re-signing AC and his desire to re-sign.

I would hope that AC his agent and Ballard have a clear understanding of what each party wants.

If the possibility of AC being a Colt in 2020 is less than say 60% I believe you take a quality LT if one is available.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 06:43 PM
It really just depends on what the Colts plans are for re-signing AC and his desire to re-sign.

I would hope that AC his agent and Ballard have a clear understanding of what each party wants.

If the possibility of AC being a Colt in 2020 is less than say 60% I believe you take a quality LT if one is available.

WHY would he leave? He's got a boat load of money (he should). Pay him what he is worth. Did you see the first 4 games this year? After that, the team could run LEFT ALL FUCKING DAY LONG.

When did this team turn around? When Luck started to feel it and Costanzo had his back on the left side.

Anyone who thinks ______ played well enough at L tackle needs their head examined.

YDFL Commish
03-28-2019, 06:54 PM
WHY would he leave? He's got a boat load of money (he should). Pay him what he is worth. Did you see the first 4 games this year? After that, the team could run LEFT ALL FUCKING DAY LONG.

When did this team turn around? When Luck started to feel it and Costanzo had his back on the left side.

Anyone who thinks ______ played well enough at L tackle needs their head examined.

You are missing my point entirely. It is becoming more and more common for players to retire in their early 30's. Unless I've missed something, we don't know Castonzo's plans.

Maybe they just can't come to terms? If I'm Ballard I want to know where we stand now...before the draft.

Remember Tarik Glenn's sudden retirement and ended up with Tony Ugoh?

I don't want to relive that again.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 08:59 PM
You are missing my point entirely. It is becoming more and more common for players to retire in their early 30's. Unless I've missed something, we don't know Castonzo's plans.

Maybe they just can't come to terms? If I'm Ballard I want to know where we stand now...before the draft.

Remember Tarik Glenn's sudden retirement and ended up with Tony Ugoh?

I don't want to relive that again.

Thats easy, offer him an extention. Why not? Wait, I’m calling ballard right now....................... ok, I’m leaving a message, he cant come to the phone right now.

Are you serious? Hes not retiring, did you see what NY gave Solder last year? The Colts have sure thing and he has leverage. Drating __________ is not a sure thing. The Colts need a pass rusher and you think they should draft a tackle? Trade Up. Make a deal and move up but drafting for two years from now is dumb. The Colts have cash, go give Costanzo some.

Puck
03-28-2019, 09:14 PM

So AC being injured and out for four games and you don’t want a tackle even though he’s pressing his 30s But you would want a center to replace young C who is the second best lineman on the team?

Not following the logic. LT is one of the hardest position to fill on a team. Ranks up there 2b with QB being number one and pass rush 2a

YDFL Commish
03-28-2019, 09:33 PM
Thats easy, offer him an extention. Why not? Wait, I’m calling ballard right now....................... ok, I’m leaving a message, he cant come to the phone right now.

Are you serious? Hes not retiring, did you see what NY gave Solder last year? The Colts have sure thing and he has leverage. Drating __________ is not a sure thing. The Colts need a pass rusher and you think they should draft a tackle? Trade Up. Make a deal and move up but drafting for two years from now is dumb. The Colts have cash, go give Costanzo some.

I'm trying to explain that it's not that simple. Do you know what Castonzo and his family want their lives to be over the next 5 years?

I don't. Money may not mean that much to him. If you know his intentions, please share.

JAFF
03-28-2019, 09:37 PM
So AC being injured and out for four games and you don’t want a tackle even though he’s pressing his 30s But you would want a center to replace young C who is the second best lineman on the team?

Not following the logic. LT is one of the hardest position to fill on a team. Ranks up there 2b with QB being number one and pass rush 2a

They have a guy who played lt on the roster right now. You have talked yourself into a situation that doesnt exist. You cant plan for every disaster.

Colts want to go to the super bowl, they need to stop great qbs by knocking them down. They need a pass rusher, de, dt or lb to attack the other teams best player.

Your logic is that Costanzo is leaving, with no evidence that it will happen.

You have no logic at all. And Im done. Ive got other things to do.

Chromeburn
03-28-2019, 09:50 PM

Would not be a backup next year, he would be Castonzo's replacement. It's drafting for a future opening, Polian did it a lot. Everyone wants starting D, but don't reach for it, if it isn't there.

I believe Castonzo will be 31 next season. He is starting to get up there. They have several free agents coming up, I doubt they sign all of them. They will replace some through the draft. Maybe they want another contract out of him, maybe they want to go younger.

VeveJones007
03-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Re: OL

WVU OT Yodny Cajuste had surgery on his quad and is out for 3 months. He was probably a 2nd rounder, but this could push him back if the Colts like him.