PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Geathers Re-Signing with the Colts

Coltsalr
03-20-2019, 10:43 AM
@JoelAErickson
Clayton Geathers is finalizing a deal to return to the Colts, according to a source.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 10:46 AM
I’m expecting a one year deal, but we’ll see. This fills a glaring hole; though SS is definitely still a target in the draft.

Lawrence Owen
03-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Mixed emotions on the signing. Even though I like Geathers, and he is a home brewed product, I think he has a lot to prove, and a lot to work on to be a better overall SS. Injury concerns are a bit worrisome.
But I jave said all along that all these F.A.'s that Ballard let walk out and check their worth around the league would probably be back once they say Ballard would offer a similar deal to just stay put in a locker room they know and trust.

apballin
03-20-2019, 11:08 AM
I figured this would happen glad they resigned him

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Mixed emotions on the signing. Even though I like Geathers, and he is a home brewed product, I think he has a lot to prove, and a lot to work on to be a better overall SS. Injury concerns are a bit worrisome.
But I jave said all along that all these F.A.'s that Ballard let walk out and check their worth around the league would probably be back once they say Ballard would offer a similar deal to just stay put in a locker room they know and trust.

Definitely still a position to look to upgrade for the long-term in the draft. Should be a good option in the first 3 rounds.

Discflinger
03-20-2019, 12:48 PM
I'd expect a low deal and him starting half the games next season.

Maniac
03-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Well that's good. Still not any better than at the end of last season so far.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Well that's good. Still not any better than at the end of last season so far.

Yep, it's inconceivable that players under the age of 25 could get better this offseason and training camp.

Luck4Reich
03-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Yep, it's inconceivable that players under the age of 25 could get better this offseason and training camp.

Nice sarcasm :cool: That was sarcasm right?:D

Luck4Reich
03-20-2019, 01:16 PM
I think with the coaching staff we have now the young players we have will continue to get better.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 01:22 PM
I think with the coaching staff we have now the young players we have will continue to get better.

I think we can reasonably expect many of these guys to show some improvement in 2019. The question will be whether they can consistently show it or whether it will be demonstrated in flashes.

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

I also think we'll see a better Andrew Luck...

Maniac
03-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Are you related to Dam? Obviously the post was about getting better from free agency. I guess I thought it was obvious that everyone hopes that the young players we have improve. We haven't upgraded the talent though.

Luck4Reich
03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
I think we can reasonably expect many of these guys to show some improvement in 2019. The question will be whether they can consistently show it or whether it will be demonstrated in flashes.

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

I agree 100%

Coltsalr
03-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

The thing is, with ALL the guys you listed there, I can’t argue that I think they’re hopeless. None of them.

This is not the Grigson/Pagano era any longer where you saw guys like Antonio Morrison, D’Juon Smith, TJ Green and so many others and immediately knew they were trash and knew they would never get any better (and were correct).

Oldcolt
03-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Love the signing. Not sure that any of the other remaining free agents were a definitive upgrade. Bringing him back continues changing the culture. Ballard said he wants to sign his own guys and he is doing it. Players must see that Ballard tells the truth to them and that he definitely values players on his own roster higher than free agents. The fact is that if you are a good citizen and produce you will find a home here in Indy. It is a great sign for the future that players want to and do re sign with this regime. I continue to love how Ballard/Reich are going about building a team here (having Luck sure does help move things along). Not every move will pan out but damn the direction sure seems right.

smitty46953
03-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Are you related to Dam?

2nd cousin on his mothers side? :cool:

Luck4Reich
03-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Factor in all those guys coming back healthy and staying healthy will be big for us as well.

Coltsalr
03-20-2019, 01:58 PM
2nd cousin on his mothers side? :cool:

Anyone related to Dam is also related to Pagano, I believe.

Oldcolt
03-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

I'm pretty excited about watching Smith and the pass rushers. Smith because he will have an entire off season and training camp to develop technique for a position he wasn't even supposed to play. The pass rushers because pass rushers always seem to take a year or two to develop and injuries stole a lot of development from them. I expect Hooker to be back to pre injury also.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty excited about watching Smith and the pass rushers. Smith because he will have an entire off season and training camp to develop technique for a position he wasn't even supposed to play. The pass rushers because pass rushers always seem to take a year or two to develop and injuries stole a lot of development from them. I expect Hooker to be back to pre injury also.

Yep, Smith and Hooker (health-permitting) could see big jumps.

I also didn't list Leonard because it will be hard to replicate his stats from last year, but I do think he can be a better in certain aspects of his game next year (e.g. short yardage, reading playaction, etc.).

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Are you related to Dam? Obviously the post was about getting better from free agency. I guess I thought it was obvious that everyone hopes that the young players we have improve. We haven't upgraded the talent though.

Two key points in response to this:

1) If you're focusing on free agency, you're missing the ball. The whole point of Ballard's strategy is drafting and development.
2) If they draft and develop well, they will be an improved team next year.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 02:52 PM
The thing is, with ALL the guys you listed there, I can’t argue that I think they’re hopeless. None of them.

This is not the Grigson/Pagano era any longer where you saw guys like Antonio Morrison, D’Juon Smith, TJ Green and so many others and immediately knew they were trash and knew they would never get any better (and were correct).

I think Turay is really the only question mark on that list. Though, we could have said the same thing about Wilson last year and he took a major step forward beginning the middle of last season. Hopefully Turay turns a similar corner.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Back to Geathers, Holder is hearing that it's a one year deal.

Makes sense given the injury history.

Butter
03-20-2019, 03:47 PM
I also didn't list Leonard because it will be hard to replicate his stats from last year, but I do think he can be a better in certain aspects of his game next year (e.g. short yardage, reading playaction, etc.).

Pass coverage

Oldcolt
03-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Leonard could improve because nobody is perfect,logically he is going into his second year and he should get better, it's just difficult for me to see anyone improving on what he did last year. I'm probably just not giving him enough credit for just how good he is.

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

And just to add to this, the defense in general and the OL were mostly trash the first 7 games of last season. That's almost half the season. If they simply maintain their performance from the last 13 games (w/playoffs), you're looking at a team easily capable of 12-4 without any external upgrades.

Sure, there's risk of injury and some bad bounces, but those could be easily offset by current player progression, seemingly minor additions (MY GUY, Devin Funchess!), and a good draft class.

Chromeburn
03-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Yep, Smith and Hooker (health-permitting) could see big jumps.

If the defense improves his stats should go down. Which would be a good thing overall. He will get smarter and instincts should start to get better.

Chromeburn
03-20-2019, 04:55 PM
I like a one year deal. Geathers has shown flashes, just need to be healthy and have some consistency.

apballin
03-20-2019, 05:11 PM
Still I’d rather have geathers than any of the available safeties we can still draft a young safety and let geathers play the box safety in passing situations. Bottom line any player that will sacrifice his neck to make a 4th down stop is a guy I want on my team

DrSpaceman
03-20-2019, 05:30 PM
I wonder if the one year/short deals for players are scaring off free agents more than the money offered by the Colts.

Not sure how much difference it makes, since NFL contracts are not guaranteed anyway, but just a thought

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 05:46 PM
I wonder if the one year/short deals for players are scaring off free agents more than the money offered by the Colts.

Not sure how much difference it makes, since NFL contracts are not guaranteed anyway, but just a thought

Depends on the player. For instance, Funchess said he wanted a one year deal.

Maniac
03-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Two key points in response to this:

1) If you're focusing on free agency, you're missing the ball. The whole point of Ballard's strategy is drafting and development.
2) If they draft and develop well, they will be an improved team next year.

Everyone already knows this. As I said with your second point, that is pretty obvious.

It's also been pointed out that you don't have to only draft and develop well, but you can fill in some key spots via free agency. They don't have to go crazy like some of these teams do. This team needs depth along with starters in several spots.

Am I focused on free agency? Currently, yes, because this is the free agency period and they need more talent. I'm bored and waiting for them to sign someone like they did last year with Ebron.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
03-20-2019, 06:12 PM
This is a nice article about Geathers return.

"Geathers happy to return home to the Colts"

https://www.normantranscript.com/cnhi_network/geathers-happy-to-return-home-to-colts/article_b8e2022a-49e3-5443-bac5-93fab8699c3d.html

And, yikes, about this comment - He also became the first defensive player drafted by the team to sign a second contract with Indianapolis since defensive lineman Fili Moala — a second-round pick in 2009. :eek:

YDFL Commish
03-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Good to have Geathers back.

I agree that we still need to add competition at the safety position. I would like to have a combo safety who could play SS or FS.

That was the great thing about the few seasons/games that Bethea and Sanders had together...they were very much interchangeable in many situations.

TheMugwump
03-20-2019, 06:19 PM

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

Agree on every one of these (health permitting), and I'd add Kelly and Desir (I know he's 29, but he's been consistently improving, and he seems the type who will play better contract security).

Dewey 5
03-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Everyone already knows this. As I said with your second point, that is pretty obvious.

It's also been pointed out that you don't have to only draft and develop well, but you can fill in some key spots via free agency. They don't have to go crazy like some of these teams do. This team needs depth along with starters in several spots.

Am I focused on free agency? Currently, yes, because this is the free agency period and they need more talent. I'm bored and waiting for them to sign someone like they did last year with Ebron.

You're obsessed with free agency.

Maniac
03-20-2019, 07:50 PM
You're obsessed with free agency.

Hardly. I have repeatedly said they could add some pieces without going overboard. I would just like them to use every chance to upgrade the talent. They did a good job using both last season.

Chromeburn
03-20-2019, 08:57 PM

Mack
Hines
Wilkins
Cain
Nelson
Smith
Lewis
Turay
Walker
Wilson
Moore
Hooker

How could you leave out Daurice Fountain?

VeveJones007
03-20-2019, 09:44 PM
How could you leave out Daurice Fountain?

He’s dead to me after dropping that TD against the Chiefs.

Butter
03-20-2019, 09:47 PM

They did, see Funchess.

Maniac
03-21-2019, 12:05 AM
They did, see Funchess.

No I said someone, not a nobody.

Racehorse
03-21-2019, 06:33 AM
No I said someone, not a nobody.

Dude had sCam Newton throwing the ball. Maybe he isn't a nobody but had a clown at QB which limited him.

Maniac
03-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Dude had sCam Newton throwing the ball. Maybe he isn't a nobody but had a clown at QB which limited him.

Maybe, and he could also just suck.

Do you consider the number 2 WR position solved with that signing?

omahacolt
03-21-2019, 07:21 AM

I don’t

VeveJones007
03-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Funchess fits a particular role--he'll beat press and move the chains in specific situations. I don't think that role rises to the classification as WR2, but it's something the team sorely needed.

FatDT
03-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Funchess fits a particular role--he'll beat press and move the chains in specific situations. I don't think that role rises to the classification as WR2, but it's something the team sorely needed.

The team sorely needs a WR2, and that's it. Either Funchess is that guy or it was a bad signing.

Maniac
03-21-2019, 09:44 AM
The team sorely needs a WR2, and that's it. Either Funchess is that guy or it was a bad signing.

Yep. I hope he pans out to be that, but right now I'm skeptical. I don't think he's the type of talent that makes you feel "ok, now we're set there, so the focus can be elsewhere in the draft." I think they still need to look at drafting a WR.

Coltsalr
03-21-2019, 10:03 AM

To be honest, this team needs a WR2/3/4 (Inman would be fine as WR4, but he’s not signed and Cain could be any one of those but that’s certainly far from proven).

So if Funchess fills any of those roles admirably AND the Colts manage to fill WR2/3 admirably (say, Cain and a rookie draft pick) then I’ll call Funchess a good signing at WR4, albeit a highly overpaid one (which, with the cap space we have, who cares?)

That said, if Funchess comes in and is expected to be WR2 and nothing else is done to address the position then my initial reaction to the signing will be correct and he’ll be the next Ryan Grant/Andre Johnson/Hakeem Nicks/DHB/Donnie Avery.

VeveJones007
03-21-2019, 10:50 AM

You’re talking ambiguous concepts and I’m talking tactics.

Oldcolt
03-21-2019, 11:08 AM
I disagree we need WR2. We need playmakers on offense, doesn't matter where they line up. Nobody here has the slightest idea of how Funchess will pan out. The folks that know the absolute most signed him for some 13 million. For the first time in eons I'm watching leadership that actually has an idea of how they want to build a team and are following it. They seem, so far, to be able to identify players that fit this scheme and sign them. The proof is what they put on the field. The administration of this team has earned my trust.

Brylok
03-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Need a pass-rusher more than a true WR2. I know it isn't going to happen with free agency, but if we're discussing "needs"...

TheMugwump
03-21-2019, 11:44 AM

A fair question.

What were your thoughts in the weeks following the Ebron signing? Did you consider him a nobody as well? I ask because here are their career stats prior to signing with the Colts:

4 years 182 receptions 2070 yards 11 TD
4 years 161 receptions 2233 yards 21 TD

Granted one was a TE and the other a WR. They both drafted early, but Ebron was a top 10 pick, and Funchess was an early second rounder. There is a ton of similarity.

How about we give the kid a shot before we declare him a nobody.

DrSpaceman
03-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Depends on the player. For instance, Funchess said he wanted a one year deal.

Didn't realize that was the case for Funchess

Chromeburn
03-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Need a pass-rusher more than a true WR2. I know it isn't going to happen with free agency, but if we're discussing "needs"...

We might still pick up a low cost vet. But most help will probably come from the draft in a DT and DE then improvement from the young guys.

Chromeburn
03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
A fair question.

What were your thoughts in the weeks following the Ebron signing? Did you consider him a nobody as well? I ask because here are their career stats prior to signing with the Colts:

4 years 182 receptions 2070 yards 11 TD
4 years 161 receptions 2233 yards 21 TD

Granted one was a TE and the other a WR. They both drafted early, but Ebron was a top 10 pick, and Funchess was an early second rounder. There is a ton of similarity.

How about we give the kid a shot before we declare him a nobody.

Stats yes. But Funchess has a much lower catch percentage. He also had a lot of drop so far in his career. Had 5 in one game alone. Not a fan of that and I think we could use an injection of sure hands on the team. Still, like Ebron, I’ll wait and give him a chance at least.

TheMugwump
03-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Stats yes. But Funchess has a much lower catch percentage. He also had a lot of drop so far in his career. Had 5 in one game alone. Not a fan of that and I think we could use an injection of sure hands on the team. Still, like Ebron, I’ll wait and give him a chance at least.

I hear you, and you have a valid point.

Catch % the last two years before signing with Colts:

Funchess:

56.8%
55.7%

Ebron:

71.8%
61.6%
(60.0% last year with Indy)

There's a significant difference there, and it shocks me that Ebron's went down to his lowest since his rookie year. In fact, Ebron's totals last year were pretty much in line with his career stats, aside from the number of targets and his TD's.

Detroit fans will tell you though that Ebron couldn't catch anything, and the Carolina fans I've spoken to here in NC are howling that we stole Funchess, so perception can differ from reality.

I'm hoping for the best, and as mentioned multiple times, the folks who know the most about football, and this team in particular, signed him to a contract. Anything north of the 63 receptions and 8 TD he had two years ago, with a healthier Cam, will be a win for the team, IMO.

VeveJones007
03-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Funchess:

56.8%
55.7%

Ebron:

71.8%
61.6%

There's a significant difference there, and it shocks me that Ebron's went down to his lowest since his rookie year. In fact, Ebron's totals last year were pretty much in line with his career stats, aside from the number of targets and his TD's.

Detroit fans will tell you though that Ebron couldn't catch anything, and the Carolina fans I've spoken to here in NC are howling that we stole Funchess, so perception can differ from reality.

I'm hoping for the best, and as mentioned multiple times, the folks who know the most about football, and this team in particular, signed him to a contract. Anything north of the 63 receptions and 8 TD he had two years ago, with a healthier Cam, will be a win for the team, IMO.

Just to add a bit to this, I look at it from the perspective of 1) why did the Colts offense struggle at times during their 11-2 run last year, and 2) how does Funchess help address those issues?

For #1, if we focus on the games @Jacksonville and @KC, the OL clearly struggled to impose its will, but the receivers were a major issue. Those teams took Hilton out of the game and the other receivers couldn't consistently beat press man coverage. In the Jags game, the difference between winning and losing wasn't very big and they easily could have won by converting a few more 3rd downs against those coverages.

THAT'S why the Funchess signing is a big deal. Is he a fantastic receiver overall? No. Does he make the Colts a better team because of what he provides? Absolutely. That's why I keep harping on the tactics and what he gives them schematically. RPOs will be a higher percentage play next year, which will help both the running game and the passing game. Back shoulder throws can be a greater emphasis. By making teams play closer to the LOS and out to the boundaries, it will open things up deep and down the middle of the field.

Maniac
03-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Just to add a bit to this, I look at it from the perspective of 1) why did the Colts offense struggle at times during their 11-2 run last year, and 2) how does Funchess help address those issues?

For #1, if we focus on the games @Jacksonville and @KC, the OL clearly struggled to impose its will, but the receivers were a major issue. Those teams took Hilton out of the game and the other receivers couldn't consistently beat press man coverage. In the Jags game, the difference between winning and losing wasn't very big and they easily could have won by converting a few more 3rd downs against those coverages.

THAT'S why the Funchess signing is a big deal. Is he a fantastic receiver overall? No. Does he make the Colts a better team because of what he provides? Absolutely. That's why I keep harping on the tactics and what he gives them schematically. RPOs will be a higher percentage play next year, which will help both the running game and the passing game. Back shoulder throws can be a greater emphasis. By making teams play closer to the LOS and out to the boundaries, it will open things up deep and down the middle of the field.

You're assuming the best case scenario is already a given. We haven't had the best of luck lately with bringing in these WR reclamation projects. Ebron worked out great at TE, but there is absolutely no guarantee that Funchess is going to do the same in his role. We hope that it is, but you can't just automatically assume it, definitely not based on his previous performance.

We'll see, but I'm not assuming from his signing that this positional need is solved.

VeveJones007
03-21-2019, 02:19 PM
You're assuming the best case scenario is already a given. We haven't had the best of luck lately with bringing in these WR reclamation projects. Ebron worked out great at TE, but there is absolutely no guarantee that Funchess is going to do the same in his role. We hope that it is, but you can't just automatically assume it, definitely not based on his previous performance.

We'll see, but I'm not assuming from his signing that this positional need is solved.

I'm not "assuming" anything. "Assuming" implies that I'm shooting from the hip and that there's some flaw in my logic. I'm making a rational, thoughtful projection based on:

1) What Funchess does well,
2) What the Colts didn't do well in 2018,
3) How he fits into elements of what Reich wants to do,
4) Trust that Reich will tactically deploy Funchess based on his strengths

In over a week, I haven't seen one person on here make a compelling case that I'm incorrect on any of those four factors.

Oldcolt
03-21-2019, 02:24 PM
I'm not "assuming" anything. "Assuming" implies that I'm shooting from the hip and that there's some flaw in my logic. I'm making a rational, thoughtful projection based on:

In over a week, I haven't seen one person on here make a compelling case that I'm incorrect on any of those four factors.

This 100%. What makes this a good signing is the people who signed him know what they want him to do and be. TEAM building, not just accumulating 'good' players.

Maniac
03-21-2019, 02:30 PM

You completely left out the most important part....."Funchess actually making the play", which is the part that's not a given based on his previous production. You can assume he fits the role and that they'll scheme to help maximize what he should be able to do to help the team, but he has to make the play, and nothing in his history shows he should get that assumption as a given.

There are plenty of WR's who SHOULD produce but don't, who have the physical skillset to thrive in certain situations, but don't.

For me, he has to prove that before I believe it. I'm not going to blindly believe it just because he signed and will play with Luck and Reich.

VeveJones007
03-21-2019, 03:02 PM
You completely left out the most important part....."Funchess actually making the play", which is the part that's not a given based on his previous production. You can assume he fits the role and that they'll scheme to help maximize what he should be able to do to help the team, but he has to make the play, and nothing in his history shows he should get that assumption as a given.

There are plenty of WR's who SHOULD produce but don't, who have the physical skillset to thrive in certain situations, but don't.

For me, he has to prove that before I believe it. I'm not going to blindly believe it just because he signed and will play with Luck and Reich.

Let's just get to the nuts and bolts of it. You don't trust his hands and that negates everything for you. Is that fair to say?

Maniac
03-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Let's just get to the nuts and bolts of it. You don't trust his hands and that negates everything for you. Is that fair to say?

It doesn't negate everything, I'm just not giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will make the plays until he proves it with this new team. It's certainly not a given that he will.

YDFL Commish
03-21-2019, 05:11 PM
If Funchess does little else but prove to be a good red zone threat, producing 10+ TD's, then it's a good signing and teams will not be able to focus so much on Ebron in the red zone.

Dam8610
03-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Because this debate started, I decided to watch some tape of Funchess. What I saw was a player who will catch a well thrown ball almost every time, and can use his size and athleticism to get open and high point the ball in 50/50 scenarios. Luck is a better QB than Funchess has ever had, and will likely deliver him well thrown balls with regularity. Given that, I think Funchess has a good chance to be very effective in this offense.

Luck4Reich
03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Because this debate started, I decided to watch some tape of Funchess. What I saw was a player who will catch a well thrown ball almost every time, and can use his size and athleticism to get open and high point the ball in 50/50 scenarios. Luck is a better QB than Funchess has ever had, and will likely deliver him well thrown balls with regularity. Given that, I think Funchess has a good chance to be very effective in this offense.

I get a feeling he will have a Ebron like season with Luck.. I also believe he will be a big part in Luck having a Monster season next year because he will have more options.

We will be talking about Ballard making the right moves again.

TheMugwump
03-21-2019, 07:14 PM

I really hope you are right.

Chromeburn
03-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Funchess:

56.8%
55.7%

Ebron:

71.8%
61.6%

Can’t speak to the Carolina fans. But the Detroit fans never warmed to Ebron. I think their draft positions had a lot to do with it. I wonder if Funcheese was a top ten pick they would feel the same? 60 receptions would be a win for me.

Discflinger
03-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Spoke with an honest Panthers fan who said he expects Funchess to blow up with Luck. I think his more defined role here will take a bit of pressure off of him.

Butter
03-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Base salary: $1.25 million
Signing bonus: $500K
Roster bonus: $62.5K for every game on 46-man roster, counts $750K against cap. Cap hit is $3 million
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1110558014212395008

Seems pretty good to me.

JAFF
03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Spoke with an honest Panthers fan who said he expects Funchess to blow up with Luck. I think his more defined role here will take a bit of pressure off of him.

Pressure off of him? Hes got to make plays, or they will find someone else

Discflinger
03-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Sure. I only meant that he won't be expected to do everything.

Racehorse
03-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Geathers contract is very team friendly

VeveJones007
03-26-2019, 08:41 PM
Geathers contract is very team friendly

Unfortunately for Geathers, that's what happens when you play in 26/48 games the last three years of your rookie deal. Hopefully he can play a full season and cash in next year.

Coltsalr
03-26-2019, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately for Geathers, that's what happens when you play in 26/48 games the last three years of your rookie deal. Hopefully he can play a full season and cash in next year.

Am I a terrible person for rooting for the Colts to snag a talented rookie early in the draft and as a result of his team friendly deal Clayton Geathers is a camp casualty?

Thorgrim
03-26-2019, 09:32 PM
Am I a terrible person for rooting for the Colts to snag a talented rookie early in the draft and as a result of his team friendly deal Clayton Geathers is a camp casualty?

If you’re a terrible person I am too. It’s a business and Geathers knows it. I fully expect the colts to draft his replacement no later than the second round.

omahacolt
03-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Why would you want him to be a camp casualty? Is depth a bad thing?

There are plenty of reasons you are a terrible person. Not sure this is one of them.

rcubed
03-26-2019, 10:41 PM
more like geathers plays out this year and is not resigned. rookie gets playing time this year and becomes starter next.

JAFF
03-27-2019, 07:21 AM

Why is anyone worried about any NFL contract? It's monopoly money, and this team isn't even close to the cap.

FatDT
03-27-2019, 07:43 AM
I don't want to approach the season like Geathers will be the starter. I'd rather be be the third safety, for depth and as one of the primary nickel/dime DBs. But who knows how the draft will shake out.

Coltsalr
03-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Why would you want him to be a camp casualty? Is depth a bad thing?

There are plenty of reasons you are a terrible person. Not sure this is one of them.

Because I'd like to think that the guys around him have stepped up to such a degree that he wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Why is anyone worried about any NFL contract? It's monopoly money, and this team isn't even close to the cap.

That's sort of my point, actually.

Oldcolt
03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm also on the bandwagon to pick a safety early. I think that the way safeties like Geathers play (at times like a 205 pound linebacker going against 300 plus pound lineman) in this defense there is a very high likelihood of injury. One reason I thought the length and amount of money given to Collins was ridiculous. You need depth. And while we are at it how about a drafting a center. To me backup center is the weak link on this line (what a great sentence to write)

omahacolt
03-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Because I'd like to think that the guys around him have stepped up to such a degree that he wouldn't be necessary anymore.

That's sort of my point, actually.

Sounds more like you have some retarded hatred for geathers and don’t get that he is a pretty good player and good locker room guy.

Coltsalr
03-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Sounds more like you have some retarded hatred for geathers and don’t get that he is a pretty good player and good locker room guy.

Please tell me Geathers isn’t going to be your new irrational man-crush.

Luck4Reich
03-27-2019, 01:50 PM
I like Geathers and think he will make another jump. He will have a good season.

Chromeburn
03-27-2019, 02:40 PM
I'm also on the bandwagon to pick a safety early. I think that the way safeties like Geathers play (at times like a 205 pound linebacker going against 300 plus pound lineman) in this defense there is a very high likelihood of injury. One reason I thought the length and amount of money given to Collins was ridiculous. You need depth. And while we are at it how about a drafting a center. To me backup center is the weak link on this line (what a great sentence to write)

I like Geathers, I don’t love him. I think we could upgrade the position and it is an impact position on this D. You need a good safety in that spot and when you find one they always make a name for themselves.

I doubt that Collins contract makes it to completion. I bet he is on the market again in a few years.

There is some depth at center this year. After the first four centers are taken the rest may make it to UDFA because all the teams needing one picked one. I bet we could find a good center with a late pick or even in UDFA. And there is still Boehim.

smitty46953
03-27-2019, 02:47 PM

That may very well be the case, however he will never take the place of "Mike Doss" on Omaha's "Wall of Shame". :cool:

omahacolt
03-27-2019, 03:25 PM
That may very well be the case, however he will never take the place of "Mike Doss" on Omaha's "Wall of Shame". :cool:

Wall of shame? Blasphemy

Doss was a true football champion

omahacolt
03-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Not at all. He is simply a better player than given credit for. People have wanted him gone since he hurt his neck and it is unjustified.

I do admire how he came back from that and still plays tough. He doesn’t appear to be the long term answer at safety but people should beat him out before he is just cast aside.

JAFF
03-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Is there a rational man crush?

Dam8610
03-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Not at all. He is simply a better player than given credit for. People have wanted him gone since he hurt his neck and it is unjustified.

I do admire how he came back from that and still plays tough. He doesn’t appear to be the long term answer at safety but people should beat him out before he is just cast aside.

So what you meant to say was "yes". Got it.

Oldcolt
03-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Geathers is a warrior and apparently a great guy in the locker room. Ballard loves him. Only knock is he got hurt. Happens. I don't see what's not there to have a genuine man-crush on.

YDFL Commish
03-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Wall of shame? Blasphemy

Doss was a true football champion

He truly was a great player for the Stillers in the 2005 playoff game.

Coltsalr
03-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Which is what I said. I hope the Colts bring in someone that's either more talented than him (Abram/Rapp) or someone else miraculously steps it up and Geathers isn't needed. He's by no means a trainwreck out there, but he has missed a lot of time and he's also not a world-beater so if the Colts find a more permanent, better solution then we should all be happy over that.

omahacolt
03-28-2019, 07:42 AM
Which is what I said. I hope the Colts bring in someone that's either more talented than him (Abram/Rapp) or someone else miraculously steps it up and Geathers isn't needed. He's by no means a trainwreck out there, but he has missed a lot of time and he's also not a world-beater so if the Colts find a more permanent, better solution then we should all be happy over that.

We employ more than 2 safeties.

FatDT
03-28-2019, 08:30 AM
We employ more than 2 safeties.

A lot. There's no reason to want to get rid of Geathers. He has starter talent, he struggles with health. He is the perfect candidate for the role of 3rd safety.

Racehorse
03-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Is there a rational man crush?

There is for a teenage girl, but omaha is...Nevermind