PDA

View Full Version : One man's view of the Colts draft.

sherck
05-04-2017, 07:00 AM
By Lance Zierien of NFL.com

Other than Malik Hooker, I didn't think there was a "wow" factor to the Colts' draft. They accomplished what they set out to do -- fortify their roster with future starters. CB Quincy Wilson adds physicality and size on the outside while CB Nate Hairston might have even greater upside. DT Grover Stewart is taking a big step forward in competition, but he has dominant tape. It's entirely believable that the Colts landed eight future starters with their draft.

Hooker and Wilson will be day one starters barring injury.

Basham, Mack and Walker could probably see on fields reps from day one in rotation work.

Banner, Stewart and Hariston are probably not ready for prime time this season but I said that about Haeg last year too. What do I know?

The more that I learn about this kids, the more that I like this draft class.

Cheers,

Racehorse
05-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Basham, Mack and Walker could probably see on fields reps from day one in rotation work.

Banner, Stewart and Hariston are probably not ready for prime time this season but I said that about Haeg last year too. What do I know?

Cheers,
Landing 8 starters would be a WOW factor in my world.

sherck
05-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Landing 8 starters would be a WOW factor in my world.

Granted, that is also an indication of how talent poor the Colts roster was going into the 2017 season. #ThanksGrigson

Cheers,

VeveJones007
05-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Matt Miller graded it as an A+. He said that if they have another offseason or two like this one, then the Colts will be elite very soon.

Wyatt
05-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Matt Miller graded it as an A+. He said that if they have another offseason or two like this one, then the Colts will be elite very soon.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706811-winners-and-losers-of-the-2017-nfl-draft

sherck
05-04-2017, 08:03 AM
From Peter King's MMQB article talking about being in the 49ers war room on Day Two:
Friday. Rounds two and three. Niners with the 66th and 67th overall picks, both early in the third round. Shanahan liked a bunch of players, including corner Ahkello Witherspoon from Colorado and Ohio defensive end Tarell Basham. But there was no second-round pick, and lots of action on the two third-round picks. The Saints badly wanted Tennessee running back Alvin Kamara, and Lynch wondered if the Saints would part with next year’s second-round pick and a low pick this year for number 67. Lynch called the Saints, got a six this year and two next year, and in his chair, Shanahan wasn’t pleased about missing out on a good player this year. But he understood. “We’re not one or two players away,” Shanahan said. “This is about building a program.” They chose Witherspoon, a versatile but not particularly physical corner whose best asset might be his height: 6'2¾". Three picks, three defensive players.

We got Basham at #80 overall. Looks like some other teams were interested in him early in the 3rd round.

Cheers,

GoBigBlue88
05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
I trust Lance Z a lot (even if he is buddies w/ Ballard and probably a little biased). Also interesting that's really the first I've heard anyone talk about Hairston. Feels like I've heard opinions on everyone in this class but Hairston.

indycolts2
05-04-2017, 10:29 AM

Cheers,

Not only Haeg but what did everyone think of Le'raven Clark as well.

sherck
05-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Not only Haeg but what did everyone think of Le'raven Clark as well.
I honestly thought that he would be a beast that needed a year or two of seasoning in a "traditional" NFL offense before he shined.

Philbin apparently got him ready a bit earlier than I anticipated.

His measurables were in line with those OTs taken in the 1st round last year. His biggest hit was the style of offense he came from (Texas Tech).

I was not expecting starter quality work out of Haeg as a rookie. I sort of was by the end of the year from Clark.

I think I got both.

Cheers,

Racehorse
05-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I honestly thought that he would be a beast that needed a year or two of seasoning in a "traditional" NFL offense before he shined.

Philbin apparently got him ready a bit earlier than I anticipated.

His measurables were in line with those OTs taken in the 1st round last year. His biggest hit was the style of offense he came from (Texas Tech).

I was not expecting starter quality work out of Haeg as a rookie. I sort of was by the end of the year from Clark.

I think I got both.

Cheers,Thanks, Grigson

Racehorse
05-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Granted, that is also an indication of how talent poor the Colts roster was going into the 2017 season. #ThanksGrigson

Cheers,

It read more like the guys were starting material in the league more than just starters for us.

1965southpaw
05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
The idiot Heath Evans rated the Colts draft a b minus last night on Total Access. He rated the other 3 teams A (Tenn), B+ (Jax), B+ (Houston).

Primary rationale is that the Colts did not address their gaps on offense. Lol said he feels sorry for Andrew Luck. I can't stand the douche.

Wyatt
05-04-2017, 03:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdz6fLpfXZc

Maniac
05-04-2017, 06:14 PM
The idiot Heath Evans rated the Colts draft a b minus last night on Total Access. He rated the other 3 teams A (Tenn), B+ (Jax), B+ (Houston).

Primary rationale is that the Colts did not address their gaps on offense. Lol said he feels sorry for Andrew Luck. I can't stand the douche.

I'm guessing he's implying the offensive line? Does he think they should just give up on the young guys who showed good improvement over the year last year? There is talent there now. There were far more pressing needs on defense.

omahacolt
05-04-2017, 08:16 PM
That one man is an idiot if he thinks we have 8 starters here

apballin
05-04-2017, 08:51 PM
I agree I see 2 starters and the restdevelopment guys

VeveJones007
05-04-2017, 11:18 PM
From Peter King's MMQB article talking about being in the 49ers war room on Day Two:

We got Basham at #80 overall. Looks like some other teams were interested in him early in the 3rd round.

Cheers,

Yep, read this and forgot to post it.

DrSpaceman
05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Probably most important is while I have read reviews of the Colts draft that rank for pretty good to A+/perfect draft, I have not seen anyone with a negative review of the draft overall.

Dam8610
05-05-2017, 03:06 PM
That one man is an idiot if he thinks we have 8 starters here

He was speaking more to potential there, and if you look at the class, there aren't any players you have to really reach to see the projectability as a starter. That said, this is just one more reason to hope they all pan out. It's unrealistic, but it sure would be funny to quote this post in 3 years if they're all starting and productive.

omahacolt
05-05-2017, 06:39 PM
He was speaking more to potential there, and if you look at the class, there aren't any players you have to really reach to see the projectability as a starter. That said, this is just one more reason to hope they all pan out. It's unrealistic, but it sure would be funny to quote this post in 3 years if they're all starting and productive.

people can say that most years

stop being stupid. no possible chance there are 8 starters from this draft

he didn't bring in 8 good starters from free agency and the draft

apballin
05-07-2017, 11:29 AM

2 from the draft 4 in FA

Maniac
05-07-2017, 12:51 PM
2 from the draft 4 in FA

To be fair, the guys in free agency outside of Hankins and maybe Aiken are crapshoots. I'm not counting Colts players that were re-signed in FA in that.

apballin
05-07-2017, 01:38 PM
To be fair, the guys in free agency outside of Hankins and maybe Aiken are crapshoots. I'm not counting Colts players that were re-signed in FA in that.

Starters week 1-- Hankins, Simon, Sheard, Spence those are the 4 I'm counting

Maniac
05-08-2017, 06:44 AM
Starters week 1-- Hankins, Simon, Sheard, Spence those are the 4 I'm counting

Omaha mentioned there was no way he brought in 8 GOOD starters. Out of those you mentioned, I would only consider one to be a good quality starter. The rest are unknowns. I would put Aiken on the list of good starters.

Racehorse
05-08-2017, 06:51 AM

According to the OP, he brought them in via the draft:

It's entirely believable that the Colts landed eight future starters with their draft.

omahacolt
05-08-2017, 11:18 AM
According to the OP, he brought them in via the draft:

I know. I was trying to point out how dumb it was