View Full Version : Calling for Ballards head on Twitter

smitty46953
03-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Tyler Smith‏ @SmithTyler29

Chris Ballard is a fucking joke. Now he spends but signs a piece of shit

:eek:

ʊ_BleedColtsBlʊe‏ @BleedColtsBlue

Replying to @BradWellsNFL

It is going to be hilarious watching all these idiot assholes pretend they didn't support this guy when he eventually gets fired. Everyone who hates Ryan grigson now was convinced he was the greatest GM of all times when he was here. #FireBallard #Colts #worstfanbase

ʊ_BleedColtsBlʊe‏ @BleedColtsBlue

Funchess!?!??!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Anyone who is comfortable with this idiot running our team deserves the years of futility we are about to waste. Le'Veon Bell is available and we get a guy who is slow, can't stay healthy, and can't catch? #FireBallard #Colts

��‏ @Burritoman25

Follow Follow @Burritoman25

Replying to @BradWellsNFL

Yep a ton of Colts fans so far up Ballard’s ass he has them thinking it’s cool to save money and start Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers. It’s really not cool at all

smitty46953
03-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Must be the @BradWellsNFL fan club? :cool:

Chromeburn
03-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Hahaha, I mean I don't love the signing. But I will give the guy a chance and hope I'm wrong. I think Ballard has earned some trust by now.

Looking at Panthers boards. I guess Funchess was covered as their WR1 by defenses. Wonder how he will do against single coverage.

Maniac
03-11-2019, 09:19 PM
You're on twitter, what do you expect?

smitty46953
03-11-2019, 09:21 PM
You're on twitter, what do you expect?

Purely entertainment and watching who is getting who :cool:

FatDT
03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
BCB has been a Colts troll for over a decade.

I don’t like the Funchess signing but anyone calling for Ballard to be fired over it is dumb.

Discflinger
03-11-2019, 09:32 PM
I know a scout...LOL BCB rests in hell. F+++ the rest, Ballard knows best.

VeveJones007
03-12-2019, 01:27 AM
You’re trying to kill me, Smitty. I hate you for it...but I also respect you for it.

Lawrence Owen
03-12-2019, 03:53 AM
They want to spend 14 mil /year for 6 years on a safety, or 16 mil year on a 2-3 yeir pass rusher.
Or make a sub tier OT the highest paid in the NFL.
Ballard is not about that.

indycolts2
03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Must be the @BradWellsNFL fan club? :cool:

Pretty sure BCB is related to Brad Wells...he denies it but just can't be that stupid unless he inherited it.

HoosierinFL
03-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Doesn’t anyone remember when Grigson signed a bunch of free agents, won some games, but created a shit mercenary culture that fell apart in a few years?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Coltsalr
03-12-2019, 10:07 AM
BCB has been a Colts troll for over a decade.

I don’t like the Funchess signing but anyone calling for Ballard to be fired over it is dumb.

This.

Brylok
03-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Brad Wells...

Puck
03-12-2019, 11:40 AM
If Ballard takes a WR in either round 1 or 2 I will be joining that group!

HoosierinFL
03-12-2019, 02:18 PM
If Ballard takes a WR in either round 1 or 2 I will be joining that group!

He has never been part of a front office that has taken a WR in the first 2 rounds. He drafts trenches early, skill late.

VeveJones007
03-12-2019, 03:13 PM
He has never been part of a front office that has taken a WR in the first 2 rounds. He drafts trenches early, skill late.

While he has said that's what he wants to do, your first point isn't correct. He was with the Bears when they drafted Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd round. He was also with the Bears when they drafted Devin Hester, though he wasn't originally picked to play WR.

FatDT
03-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Too early to say for sure what he'll do. I know what he's said. But the Funchess contract doesn't really fit with what he's said. So we'll see.

VeveJones007
03-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Too early to say for sure what he'll do. I know what he's said. But the Funchess contract doesn't really fit with what he's said. So we'll see.

Ballard reads a lot about other leaders and executives across sports and outside of sports. It wouldn't surprise me if he came across this quote from Andy MacPhail: "There's no such thing as a bad one year contract."

There are obviously differences between MLB and the NFL, but I tend to believe that is true in most situations.

HoosierinFL
03-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Except Funchess does fit. If he balls out on his one year deal ala Desir, and then leaves in FA, we will get a pretty respectable comp pick. And let’s face it, $10 mil is the market for a guy who should be seen as a legit #2 WR.

omahacolt
03-12-2019, 07:52 PM
BCB has been a fucking moron since he started posting about the colts in 2002 or so. Fuck that idiot

That said, it is really annoying this trend of being internet buttfucked every time you disagree with a move Ballard makes. The dude wanted to hire josh McDaniels as coach. He makes mistakes.

Luck4Reich
03-12-2019, 07:57 PM
BCB has been a fucking moron since he started posting about the colts in 2002 or so. Fuck that idiot

That said, it is really annoying this trend of being internet buttfucked every time you disagree with a move Ballard makes. The dude wanted to hire josh McDaniels as coach. He makes mistakes.

As long as he learns from it and doesn't keep making the same mistakes. But he will make more.

GoBigBlue88
03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Calling for Ballard's head is too stupid to be seriously discussed.

On the general subject of Ballard + roster additions, I would say two things:

1. I don't think this is the year Colts go all-in. I think that is 2020.

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves. Good can be the enemy of great. I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Colts don't have to go all-in this year; they're probably not ready for it. But they do need to next year. If they keep playing moneyball, they might make an AFC title game one year, but that's the ceiling.

Chromeburn
03-12-2019, 08:49 PM
As long as he learns from it and doesn't keep making the same mistakes. But he will make more.

Every GM makes mistakes, as long as he has more wins than misses.

But I don't like the hero worship either.

Spike
03-12-2019, 09:15 PM

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves. Good can be the enemy of great. I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Colts don't have to go all-in this year; they're probably not ready for it. But they do need to next year. If they keep playing moneyball, they might make an AFC title game one year, but that's the ceiling.

I don't believe Irsay will accept this BS because he has stated numerous times that he wants multiple SB titles. I doubt he will allow anyone to waste all of Luck's years with this dumb ass philosophy. At least I hope not.

Colt Classic
03-12-2019, 09:30 PM
I don't believe Irsay will accept this BS because he has stated numerous times that he wants multiple SB titles. I doubt he will allow anyone to waste all of Luck's years with this dumb ass philosophy. At least I hope not.

Assuming the magic runs out and his picks and acquisitions start turning into duds, by the time Ballard would be held accountable, Luck would be in the twilight of his career.

VeveJones007
03-12-2019, 09:34 PM
There's a lot to unpack there, GBB, most of which I disagree with.

I haven't heard a single thing to suggest Ballard will suddenly change his approach. He puts a value on players and walks away when the bidding goes above that level. Why do you think he will change that approach?

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves.

The Colts took a huge leap forward last year. Why? Because they drafted really fucking well, were well coached, and made savvy additions. They have the youngest roster in the NFL (aside from Vinatieri). Are we to believe guys the core of the team has maxed out? Is it impossible for them to improve in the draft again? To get a good contribution from a guy like Funchess?

I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Polian simply didn't have the cap space to make free agent moves post-Simon. He had to extend Reggie, Freeney, Sanders, Mathis, Brackett, Saturday, etc.

njcoltfan
03-12-2019, 09:41 PM

I hope your right !

GoBigBlue88
03-12-2019, 09:54 PM
I think it's more likely Dee Ford is an impact player than Devin Funchess or Kemoko Turay.

omahacolt
03-12-2019, 10:02 PM
I think it's more likely Dee Ford is an impact player than Devin Funchess or Kemoko Turay.

We aren’t looking for impact players. We are looking for bargain players that barely outplay their contracts. Winning games does t matter. Only not overpaying and banking cash matters. In 5 years we can sign one of our own.

Building a culture is better than a championship

VeveJones007
03-12-2019, 10:44 PM
We aren’t looking for impact players. We are looking for bargain players that barely outplay their contracts. Winning games does t matter. Only not overpaying and banking cash matters. In 5 years we can sign one of our own.

How many offseasons did the Patriots win before their 6 titles? The only one was 2007 and they lost that year.

Look, I’m irritated that Ballard hasn’t done more, but it isn’t worth the level of griping on this board. There is more than one way to skin a cat. He has a plan that is capable of resulting in continued results. Let’s see if he can pull it off.

Chaka
03-12-2019, 10:55 PM

This is getting ridiculous. What about Ballard’s plan causes you to think it isn’t working? That we didn’t win the SB? Let’s ignore the obvious progress and become the Jets and burn a bunch of cash on free agents to put us over the top. That always works. What free agent from last year’s class was Ballard wrong not to pursue?

Colt Classic
03-12-2019, 10:59 PM
We already played that game with you...

Chaka
03-12-2019, 11:05 PM

I think “good can be the enemy of great” is a quote (or very close to a quote) that Balland used himself at the end of the season, so his mindset is certainly not where you seem to think it is. I’m just shocked at the number of people here are calling for the Colts to start signing big name free agents when we’re just coming off a season which SHOWED how much progress can be made by a disciplined approach. Where is the evidence that signing these guys is the path to glory?

Chaka
03-12-2019, 11:06 PM
We already played that game with you...

But it’s obvious - there wasn’t one. Now you guys are repeating all the same old arguments again...it’s crazy

GoBigBlue88
03-12-2019, 11:32 PM
I think “good can be the enemy of great” is a quote (or very close to a quote) that Balland used himself at the end of the season, so his mindset is certainly not where you seem to think it is. I’m just shocked at the number of people here are calling for the Colts to start signing big name free agents when we’re just coming off a season which SHOWED how much progress can be made by a disciplined approach. Where is the evidence that signing these guys is the path to glory?

Did last season show that, or did it show that Andrew Luck returned to 100% and play 16 games?

The answer is somewhere in between, and obviously yes, Ebron, Autry, Nelson, Smith, Leonard were huge and testament. But I'd argue Lewis and Turay really weren't, and Colts don't have nearly the same draft cache this year (albeit still above average).

Harder to hit on Nelsons and Leonards when you pick where Colts are picking now.

Chaka
03-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Did last season show that, or did it show that Andrew Luck returned to 100% and play 16 games?

The answer is somewhere in between, and obviously yes, Ebron, Autry, Nelson, Smith, Leonard were huge and testament. But I'd argue Lewis and Turay really weren't, and Colts don't have nearly the same draft cache this year (albeit still above average).

Harder to hit on Nelsons and Leonards when you pick where Colts are picking now.

Compare the defensive stats between the last two seasons - it wasn’t all Luck. And don’t forget the OL and what role that played in Luck’s success. Luck’s play obviously was a big boost, but it was far from the sole reason for the improvement. We were better - and far better in some areas - across the board.

I know the road gets harder, but I believe the Colts and Ballard when they say they are aiming high, and want multiple SBs. And I think they are following though on this goal.

VeveJones007
03-13-2019, 12:50 AM

The Colts have two picks in this draft higher than where they got Leonard last year. And you know better than to judge a player strictly on their rookie season, especially pass rushers.

VeveJones007
03-13-2019, 12:53 AM
Compare the defensive stats between the last two seasons - it wasn’t all Luck. And don’t forget the OL and what role that played in Luck’s success. Luck’s play obviously was a big boost, but it was far from the sole reason for the improvement. We were better - and far better in some areas - across the board.

I know the road gets harder, but I believe the Colts and Ballard when they say they are aiming high, and want multiple SBs. And I think they are following though on this goal.

People keep forgetting that Ballard’s big free agent signings last year really turned the OL from one of the worst to one of the best in the league.

Oh, wait.

omahacolt
03-13-2019, 05:43 AM
How many offseasons did the Patriots win before their 6 titles? The only one was 2007 and they lost that year.

Look, I’m irritated that Ballard hasn’t done more, but it isn’t worth the level of griping on this board. There is more than one way to skin a cat. He has a plan that is capable of resulting in continued results. Let’s see if he can pull it off.

I was making fun of fans with that post. Not being real serious. Exaggerating the idiocy that is taking over the fanbase

omahacolt
03-13-2019, 05:45 AM

The colts defense was better than I expected but we also played like 12 games against terrible quarterbacks

Chaka
03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
The colts defense was better than I expected but we also played like 12 games against terrible quarterbacks

Was that any different than 2017?

omahacolt
03-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Was that any different than 2017?

I don’t know. Was it?

We had an offense that was terrible in 2017.

Brylok
03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
A pass-rusher would have been nice

Dam8610
03-13-2019, 12:30 PM
A pass-rusher would have been nice

The ones that could've been available were franchised. The only potential young pass rusher that hit the market got paid $13.5 million AAV as an off the ball LB. Maybe the Colts will go after Justin Houston? Could be a possible value signing.

Chaka
03-13-2019, 12:31 PM
I don’t know. Was it?

We had an offense that was terrible in 2017.

I posted that the Colts defense had improved dramatically between 2017 and 2018, and thus the Colts’ progress last year wasn’t attributable solely to Luck’s performance. You said in response that we played lots of bad QBs last year. So I asked whether that was markedly different from 2017 - because I don’t think there was a substantial difference in the level of our opponents’ QB play between those seasons, so that wouldn’t explain the big uptick in the defensive performance as I believe you were suggesting.

Indiana V2
03-13-2019, 12:46 PM
So apparently Chris Ballard is smarter than everyone else.

Pez
03-13-2019, 01:04 PM
I posted that the Colts defense had improved dramatically between 2017 and 2018, and thus the Colts’ progress last year wasn’t attributable solely to Luck’s performance. You said in response that we played lots of bad QBs last year. So I asked whether that was markedly different from 2017 - because I don’t think there was a substantial difference in the level of our opponents’ QB play between those seasons, so that wouldn’t explain the big uptick in the defensive performance as I believe you were suggesting.

QBs are hard to judge, especially with the two games vs Foles over Bortles.

based on opponents records, the colts had:

The 32nd hardest schedule in 2017, opponents = .424
The 22nd hardest schedule in 2018, opponents = .484
The 7th hardest schedule in 2019, opponents = .518

I think that we will really see where our defense is in 2019. Getting WR addressed through a free agent pick like Fun cheese will free up a pick for a DT / EDGE. Ballard is using the assets he has, namely that Andrew Luck will make the WR1 for a shitty QB look Like a fantastic WR2 for a good one.

Yes, he is getting criticized for this being a stop gap, but I think that is a shrewd move, as that's all we really need right now, and doing so enables us to build defensively.