PDA

View Full Version : strategy/philosophy on the safety position

FatDT
05-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I am sure you all remember how Pagano wanted both safeties to play both positions. He wanted interchangeable pieces. It never worked, and Bethea was stuck doing too much (again) while the other safety sucked wherever he was.

My impression was that this went away some last year. And with Hooker getting drafted, surely it'll go away entirely. Right? Pagano has to have given up on this and can see that Hooker is a deep FS and Geathers is a clear box safety. Right?

sherck
05-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I am sure you all remember how Pagano wanted both safeties to play both positions. He wanted interchangeable pieces. It never worked, and Bethea was stuck doing too much (again) while the other safety sucked wherever he was.

My impression was that this went away some last year. And with Hooker getting drafted, surely it'll go away entirely. Right? Pagano has to have given up on this and can see that Hooker is a deep FS and Geathers is a clear box safety. Right?
I would agree. I think the interchangeable thing is in the past. After the season, I think Pagano is on record as saying that they were asking Green to learn "too much" his rookie year. It slowed down his development.

Hooker and Adams at FS with Geathers and Green at SS in 2017. That is a depth chart that I can get excited about with both experience (Adams, Geathers) as well as young, but untested, athletic talent (Hooker, Green).

I think they learn their lesson with Hooker and keep him as the "deep" man from day one.

Cheers,

njcoltfan
05-03-2017, 10:39 AM
I would agree. I think the interchangeable thing is in the past. After the season, I think Pagano is on record as saying that they were asking Green to learn "too much" his rookie year. It slowed down his development.

Hooker and Adams at FS with Geathers and Green at SS in 2017. That is a depth chart that I can get excited about with both experience (Adams, Geathers) as well as young, but untested, athletic talent (Hooker, Green).

I think they learn their lesson with Hooker and keep him as the "deep" man from day one.

Cheers,
You realize that it's Pagano that you are talking about?? The man who still doesn't realize that he should make halftime adjustments!!

Butter
05-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Cheers,
Adams, did we sign another safety?

sherck
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Adams, did we sign another safety?
Lol. Yeah, I am still apparently showing my age.

Butler and Hooker at FS.

Geathers and Green at SS.

Cheers,

DrSpaceman
05-03-2017, 11:08 AM

We can see that

Hopefully Pagano can as well, but he may be too busy chopping wood to come to that conclusion.

I'd be happy with two safeties that can each play their own position adequately. It hasn't happened yet. Show me that before you start with interchangeable parts and all the other shit.

indycolts2
05-03-2017, 12:14 PM
You realize that it's Pagano that you are talking about?? The man who still doesn't realize that he should make halftime adjustments!!

Yeah....Pagano the guy who always SAYS he wouldn't change a thing when something has gone so terribly awry that even the casual fan goes WTF!!!!