PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Pick Malik Hooker

Chromeburn
04-28-2017, 12:12 AM
So I like the pick. He is a very talented player and is a turnover machine. One of the problems with our D is the lack of playmakers, guys that create turnovers. They need to provide more plays for the offense. We obviously still need pass rush to help force QBs into mistakes. But Hooker has that one elusive trait that also puts pressure on QBs: range. Hooker will be what they were hoping TJ could be, a free safety that can cover the whole field in a cover three.

Here is a great video that explains what makes Hooker special and he weaknesses in his tackling at the moment. Mainly inexperience and bad angles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glWAP7vbeH8

The thing I am excited about is his ability to create turnovers. Usually safeties with this talent and range go in the top five or top ten certainly. To get him at 15 was pretty lucky. If they go as planned Pagano has his Ed Reed type player. Listen to when he talks about how many ints he got while on the practice squad for one year.

Now to go get some pass rushers.

nate505
04-28-2017, 12:21 AM
I was hoping for either Allen, Foster, or Hooker when the pick came in. I'm thrilled they got one of them. I probably would have picked Foster but who can complain about a safety that was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

Chromeburn
04-28-2017, 12:32 AM
I was hoping for either Allen, Foster, or Hooker when the pick came in. I'm thrilled they got one of them. I probably would have picked Foster but who can complain about a safety that was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

A late report came out on Foster's shoulder and it scared a lot of teams off. You don't want a LB with shoulder issues as your number 1. With all the tackling they do, very wary. Also you don't want a lineman with arthritis issues, that shortens a career.

We could go Malik McDowell or Wormley who could be very good ends.

The offensive picks forced the d talent down, we got lucky Hookers dropped so far. Baltimore would have been all over him if we hadn't.

Colts2006
04-28-2017, 06:02 AM
the guy grew up a Colts fan...sweet! Addai was his favorite player when he was growing up.

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 06:15 AM
@PatMcAfeeShow 7h7 hours ago
Colts 1st rounder @MalikHooker24 visited a children's hospital 2day in Pittsburgh instead of going 2 the draft?!? That's awesome #GoodHuman

jasperhobbs
04-28-2017, 06:22 AM
I am curious as to the plan at safety. Hooker and Clayton Geathers or T.J Green. Perhaps move Green to cornerback?

sherck
04-28-2017, 07:08 AM
My 2 cents is that Ballard was probably picking between Hooker and Allen. That late report on Foster's shoulder is what sent him tumbling.

In the Colts defense, Allen would have played the weak-side, 3-tech DT position due to his lack of heights/length which is a bit more single gap shooting rather than the strong-side, 5-tech DE which often has to take on 2-gap responsibility and double teams from OT and TE. It is a role that I think Allen would have been perfect for.

The Colts currently have Anderson, Ridgeway and T.Y. McGill playing DT. Not a bad depth chart at the position so Allen would have displaced one of them.

Now, the kicker here is that Anderson IS tall enough/long enough to play the strong-side 5-tech DE spot on the D-Line putting him in rotation with Langford.

D-Line if we had taken Allen:

DT = Allen, Ridgeway, McGill
NT = Hankins, Woods, Parry
DE = Langford, Anderson, Hunt

However, at safety, if Ballard was not convinced that Green was the free safety he was looking for then taking Hooker is a brilliant move because he is still growing into his prime (his ceiling is high) and already has the instincts and range to be impact.

I like the 3 safety flexibility that Hooker, Geathers and Green could bring to the field on nickel and dime packages. I like the concept of Green as the nickel CB. I like having options. I hope Green shows this year that Hooker and Geathers are going to have to work hard to see the field!

Great pick, IMO. A sure top ten talent at 1-15 is exactly what I was hoping for.
THANK YOU for the WR, RB and QB run in the top 12. It helped us greatly!

Cheers,

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 07:47 AM
My 2 cents is that Ballard was probably picking between Hooker and Allen. That late report on Foster's shoulder is what sent him tumbling.

In the Colts defense, Allen would have played the weak-side, 3-tech DT position due to his lack of heights/length which is a bit more single gap shooting rather than the strong-side, 5-tech DE which often has to take on 2-gap responsibility and double teams from OT and TE. It is a role that I think Allen would have been perfect for.

The Colts currently have Anderson, Ridgeway and T.Y. McGill playing DT. Not a bad depth chart at the position so Allen would have displaced one of them.

Now, the kicker here is that Anderson IS tall enough/long enough to play the strong-side 5-tech DE spot on the D-Line putting him in rotation with Langford.

However, at safety, if Ballard was not convinced that Green was the free safety he was looking for then taking Hooker is a brilliant move because he is still growing into his prime (his ceiling is high) and already has the instincts and range to be impact.

I like the 3 safety flexibility that Hooker, Geathers and Green could bring to the field on nickel and dime packages. I like the concept of Green as the nickel CB. I like having options. I hope Green shows this year that Hooker and Geathers are going to have to work hard to see the field!

Great pick, IMO. A sure top ten talent at 1-15 is exactly what I was hoping for.

Cheers,

Exactly, I was happy for BPA as long as it was on the Defensive side of the ball, now I wouldn't be mad if we can get Lamp in Rd 2 though

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 07:49 AM
https://i.redd.it/w3xhmuya68uy.jpg

GoBigBlue88
04-28-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm a bit unsure of Pagano's ability to develop DBs (to put it nicely), and it sounds like Hooker still has some work to do in terms of tackling. BUT it's really hard to complain about basically BDPA (up for debate if you thought that was Allen/Foster/etc. at that point).

Basically, heading into this season, you had two box safeties (Geathers/Green, neither have proven to be centerfielders) and a CB-S convert at centerfield. I like Darius Butler, but that's not a long-term answer and I worry about Butler's durability at safety at that frame.

This -- if Hooker turns out to be a player -- gives you a long-term answer at FS/"centerfielder", gives you a DB with actual ball skills (Colts lacking that forever), gives you a chance to get Andrew Luck the ball back on any mid-deep pass play, and gives you a lot of short-term package flexibility between Geathers/Hooker/Butler/Green.

I had Reuben Foster pegged at this pick just 'cuz I think the Colts need to start physically intimidating people on defense again. They haven't since 2007. But Hooker, if as advertised, should at least put the fear of God in QBs looking downfield. Maybe buy some time for pass rush too.

So I'm content. But then, I've seen enough of these drafts to be jaded enough about the experience of getting really excited and convincing myself a pick is awesome, so I'm not proclaiming he's Ed Reed yet.

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 08:25 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/dan1523/draft%20grades_zpszmyewoeo.jpg

from reddit

DrSpaceman
04-28-2017, 08:38 AM
It seems it was thought he would go much higher and fell to the Colts, so I will take it, despite my initial hesitation about him.

If he can pass cover deep, and that seems to be his best quality, its a plus.

Now the D needs a #2 corner and pass rushers.

FatDT
04-28-2017, 09:05 AM
I'd say trade up for a pass rusher in the 2nd (too many good ones left to have them all evaporate before our pick) and sign one of the FA corners, they'll be hurting for a job at this point and shouldn't cost much. I don't think we can count on teams being as stupid tonight as they were last night.

I am happy with the pick. The Colts give up too many big plays in the passing game. If Davis is healthy we don't need a top flight #2 corner, we can double the WR1 with Hooker and CB2 while Davis shadows the WR2.

VeveJones007
04-28-2017, 09:16 AM
I'd say trade up for a pass rusher in the 2nd (too many good ones left to have them all evaporate before our pick) and sign one of the FA corners, they'll be hurting for a job at this point and shouldn't cost much. I don't think we can count on teams being as stupid tonight as they were last night.

I am happy with the pick. The Colts give up too many big plays in the passing game. If Davis is healthy we don't need a top flight #2 corner, we can double the WR1 with Hooker and CB2 while Davis shadows the WR2.

I'm not sure any of the remaining pass rushers are much better than what the Colts already have. CB on the other hand...

Coltsalr
04-28-2017, 09:20 AM
I like Tim Williams and Carl Lawson a fair amount as pass rushers...but it's entirely possible one or both will be available in the 3rd round.

I think our best pick from a needs standpoint would be Zach Cunningham, who may very well be there at 2.15, which would be fine.

I could be talked into trading up right now to go grab Dalvin Cook. Flame away.

FatDT
04-28-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure any of the remaining pass rushers are much better than what the Colts already have. CB on the other hand...

I won't be that upset if we do take a CB, we could use one (or two). But the cupboard is still bare at OLB, we don't have much pass rush, and there are no veteran options just sitting out there like there are for CB.

Hooker upgrades the entire secondary, but adding pass rush pushes QBs into bad decisions quicker. Pass rush and a ball hawk safety benefit each other greatly.

FatDT
04-28-2017, 09:22 AM
I could be talked into trading up right now to go grab Dalvin Cook. Flame away.

Joe Mixon or Alvin Kamara over Cook for me. I'd rather wait until at least round 3 on a RB.

VeveJones007
04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
I won't be that upset if we do take a CB, we could use one (or two). But the cupboard is still bare at OLB, we don't have much pass rush, and there are no veteran options just sitting out there like there are for CB.

Hooker upgrades the entire secondary, but adding pass rush pushes QBs into bad decisions quicker. Pass rush and a ball hawk safety benefit each other greatly.

I agree that pass rush is still a major need, but I just don't think the value is there in round 2. I'm almost certain that a CB will be the top remaining player on their board at 2.14. Given that it's still a significant need, I would not have a problem with that.

This is a multi-year process. Even if they come out of this draft without a pass rusher, it can still be a major step forward if they shore up the secondary, add a quality RB, ILB, etc.

VeveJones007
04-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Joe Mixon or Alvin Kamara over Cook for me. I'd rather wait until at least round 3 on a RB.

My preference has always been one of the 4th rounders for the RB, but we'll see how the board shakes out.

smitty46953
04-28-2017, 09:41 AM

I would rather wait till the 4th and hopefully Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine is still there. Powerfull kid can get the tough yards, but not a burner? :cool:

FatDT
04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
I would rather wait till the 4th and hopefully Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine is still there. Powerfull kid can get the tough yards, but not a burner? :cool:

I like Perine too in the 4th. There's got to be a run on these RBs eventually.

FatDT
04-28-2017, 10:28 AM
I agree that pass rush is still a major need, but I just don't think the value is there in round 2. I'm almost certain that a CB will be the top remaining player on their board at 2.14. Given that it's still a significant need, I would not have a problem with that.

This is a multi-year process. Even if they come out of this draft without a pass rusher, it can still be a major step forward if they shore up the secondary, add a quality RB, ILB, etc.

I like DeMarcus Walker and Jordan Willis. But I agree there are several ways to upgrade the defense and taking the best player at one of those positions makes the most sense.

Puck
04-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Cheers,

The quick was so quick I think Ballard made his decision as soon as he knew Philly's pick

bertjones
04-28-2017, 11:06 AM
It's a bit of a gamble- there are injury issues and he is raw. But more than
one scout has likened him to Reed and on a number of Mocks he was a top
7 pick. If he checks out he could be the ball hawk the Colts have never
had at the position and dramatically change the defense. I'm on board
with it.

Thorgrim
04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
It's a bit of a gamble- there are injury issues and he is raw. But more than
one scout has likened him to Reed and on a number of Mocks he was a top
7 pick. If he checks out he could be the ball hawk the Colts have never
had at the position and dramatically change the defense. I'm on board
with it.

I have some reservations about the pick but if he can stay healthy he certainly has top shelf potential. I would love to see him come in and set the tone for our secondary which desperately needs an identity. Draft a starting caliber corner and line him up with Davis and Butler in the slot and we could suddenly have a position of strength. Hell, if Hooker proves to be a ball hawk we could call our secondary "The Red Light District." :D

FatDT
04-28-2017, 11:41 AM
If he only gets to a Bethea-level of productivity, is he worth the pick?

GoBigBlue88
04-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Again -- you're not gonna fix the entire defense in one draft. Ballard has made big strides at FS, NT and positive strides at SAM (Simon>Walden) and EDGE (Sheard>Mathis) so far.

You're not wrong in this team needing EDGE dynamism still. But I really believe the CBs on Day 2 will be infinitely better players than the EDGE players on Day 2.

njcoltfan
04-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Well, if you really think this is a multi year ( rebuilding ) process, they might as well pick up the best remaining OL prospect.

rcubed
04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Well, if you really think this is a multi year ( rebuilding ) process, they might as well pick up the best remaining OL prospect.
depends on how they have that player rated vs a CB or rush.

It will be a multi year process and we have multiple holes to fill.

njcoltfan
04-28-2017, 12:09 PM
depends on how they have that player rated vs a CB or rush.

It will be a multi year process and we have multiple holes to fill.

So get the best available OL to make sure that Luck is still upright when and if the process is completed.

rcubed
04-28-2017, 12:31 PM
So get the best available OL to make sure that Luck is still upright when and if the process is completed.
what do you mean the 'process is completed?' Its never complete, you are always looking to get better.

My belief is take BPA with thought of need. If you have a player rated way higher than any others when you pick, take him. If you have 'similarly' rated players, take the one that fits a need for you (the most need if both are needed).

So for Rd. 2, if a CB is rated higher than an OL, take the CB.

Coltsalr
04-28-2017, 12:47 PM
If we're talking about value regarding our areas of need, still say that ILB is the place where the need/availability delta will be most striking.

Zach Cunningham is the last top caliber ILB. After him, it's a fairly steep dropoff to McMillian, Duke Riley, etc.

I think there will very likely be some CB's available at Round 2 that will be very nice value. I think there will also be that in Round 3. I do think one could make the argument that Quincy Wilson is such a top caliber CB prospect that his value would be overwhelming at 2.14, though.

With EDGE, again, the value will be there later on, I think. Hell, I might like Carl Lawson and Tim Williams (who could be Round 3 picks) over Jordan Willis and Tyus Bowser (who are getting hyped as Round 2 picks).

ILB is where we'll possibly have the shot that we won't have elsewhere. You could actually make that argument about RB to be honest, too. I'm guessing Kamara/Cook/Mixon all go in Round 2. Pass on them and I think that's a similarly big dropoff.

HoosierinFL
04-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Actually cut Gruden a break. If you noticed, it was his job to play the negative on each pick last night. Kiper had all the positives on the picks, Gruden had all the negatives. And every bit of their rundowns was 100% scripted in advance. There is no way this is what Gruden really believes about Hooker or any of the picks. These guys might as well be actors saying their lines.

Anyway, Ballard said he wanted to increase the # of turnovers, he wanted ballhawks on defense, and he got the best one in the draft.

FatDT
04-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Again -- you're not gonna fix the entire defense in one draft. Ballard has made big strides at FS, NT and positive strides at SAM (Simon>Walden) and EDGE (Sheard>Mathis) so far.

You're not wrong in this team needing EDGE dynamism still. But I really believe the CBs on Day 2 will be infinitely better players than the EDGE players on Day 2.

I think "infinitely better" is strong hyperbole. I'll agree Quincy Wilson or a ready-for-the-season Sidney Jones would be head and shoulders above the available pass rushers. After that though I think the talent drops off some and you can be comfortable waiting til round 3 or 4 with the idea of signing a FA ASAP.

Even if we get great players at positions of need it will take time to actually make it a defense. No denying that. That assumes Pagano and Monachino are capable of even doing it.

1965southpaw
04-28-2017, 02:54 PM
For what it's worth...Urban Meyer is on Dan Dakitch show right now and he claims that Hooker is the best he's seen at the safety position collegiately in the last 10 years. Isn't concerned about the tackling issues.....chalks that up to not growing up as a football player but is confident that he will get better there quickly but he has great playmaking / difference making ability that is innate.

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 03:32 PM
press conference is on live now. fyi

Wyatt
04-28-2017, 03:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-hjp44XUAMRcC8.jpg

just said he's 85-90% healthy, should be 100% in 3 weeks or so on 1070

omahacolt
04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
i like the pick. if he is as advertised, then he is exactly what we need. and that is defensive playmakers.

i also wish we could have gotten mckinley now that i heard him lose his fucking mind after getting drafted. this defense needs some crazy bastards running around.

YDFL Commish
04-28-2017, 04:01 PM
If he only gets to a Bethea-level of productivity, is he worth the pick?

No. Bethea was good, but never had as many int's as Hooker should.

omahacolt
04-28-2017, 04:16 PM
No. Bethea was good, but never had as many int's as Hooker should.

i disagree

if he has a career like Bethea i think that would be worth it. anything over that would be great.

albany ed
04-28-2017, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1WBK7tUfFc

GoBigBlue88
04-28-2017, 04:37 PM
i like the pick. if he is as advertised, then he is exactly what we need. and that is defensive playmakers.

i also wish we could have gotten mckinley now that i heard him lose his fucking mind after getting drafted. this defense needs some crazy bastards running around.

That's mainly why I was in favor of Reuben Foster (without knowing any of the medical stuff). Defense just needs guys who make the other offense think twice about things. I think Hooker can do that in terms of making QBs think twice about some throws. But yeah -- would love a player who makes you think twice about running that drag route over the middle.

VeveJones007
04-28-2017, 04:47 PM
That's mainly why I was in favor of Reuben Foster (without knowing any of the medical stuff). Defense just needs guys who make the other offense think twice about things. I think Hooker can do that in terms of making QBs think twice about some throws. But yeah -- would love a player who makes you think twice about running that drag route over the middle.

If that's what you're looking for, Cunningham might fit the bill. Here's what Matt Miller had in his 2nd day mock today (going 55th to NYG):

With this pick, the G-Men will be getting a big nickel linebacker who hunts down the ball with uncanny precision and ferocity. He stalks his prey with vigor and usually gets through any obstacle that might be trying to stop him from reaching the target. He'll need to improve his tackling at the next level, but that should come naturally if he adds some pounds onto a lean frame.

smitty46953
04-28-2017, 05:11 PM
If that's what you're looking for, Cunningham might fit the bill. Here's what Matt Miller had in his 2nd day mock today (going 55th to NYG):

Cunningham would be a great pick, doubt he is there but after yesterday who knows? :cool:

Voosh
04-28-2017, 05:43 PM
I don't follow college, but have read the knock on this guy is tackling. Not sure if I have the confidence Pags & Co. can effectively teach that.

Luck4Reich
04-28-2017, 06:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1WBK7tUfFc

I was wondering how long it would take before we saw a highlight reel:rolleyes:

Luck4Reich
04-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Man that Hooker really goes after those deep balls...:p

falloutboy14
04-28-2017, 07:07 PM
https://youtu.be/glWAP7vbeH8

Not sure if this has been posted yet, bit worth the watch.

YDFL Commish
04-28-2017, 07:57 PM
i disagree

if he has a career like Bethea i think that would be worth it. anything over that would be great.

I get what you're saying. All im saying is hes a different player than Bethea. Bethea was a combo safety and great tackler and last line of defense type guy.

If Hooker is a true centerfield free safety. So i dont expect the tackling of Bethea...but i do expect more int's and big plays in the passing game.

So...yeah similar production as Bethea but in a different way, then yeah im fine with it.

Wyatt
05-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Mike Wells sucks, but this is a pretty good read about Hooker's transition from Basketball to Football

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20414/colts-malik-hooker-basketball-standout-praised-by-kobe-bryant-to-nfl-first-round-pick

Wyatt
05-08-2017, 12:08 PM
This from PFF

Interceptions earn you notoriety in the secondary and though they may not always correlate to elite play, they get you noticed come awards time. Hooker has the best ball skills of any safety to come along in years, and has the ability to make an Earl Thomas-style of impact in the Indianapolis secondary. Hooker has a highlight-reel tape of some of the most astonishing interceptions in college football last season and his biggest problem (missed tackles – 13 of them in 2016) is something that tends to get swept under the carpet a little when evaluating play.