PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys-Colts quick thoughts

GoBigBlue88
12-16-2018, 05:08 PM
1. Best game I have ever seen Marlon Mack play. Fully realize there were monster holes in the line for him. But his contact balance, patience and decision-making was next-level today. Honestly: this is what frustrates me about Mack in the bigger picture of things. This was a good RB1 caliber performance. He'll have one of these, and then get tripped up and leave yards on the field next 3-4 games. If he can just become consistent...

2. I don't remember the last game Andrew Luck was asked to do less to secure a win. That's nice to see, to say the least.

3. I know it sounds cliche, but so many of the players on this team just have HEART. You know Hilton and Kelly, in particular, are far from 100 percent. Both played tremendously today. During the Pagano era, plenty of players nursed their injuries. This team is something else. Tough, sure. But they legitimately want to be out there for each other.

4. Do the Colts lock up Ryan Kelly this offseason?

5. Mo-Alie Cox may have had the best zero-catch game I've seen from a Colts TE...ever. Really.

6. If you want an example of what makes Reich special as a strategist: Colts come out empty and uptempo. That gets Cowboys in nickel. Then the Colts go big, bring in their TEs and pounds with Mack. That throws off Cowboys. Then Colts get in red zone and bring in receivers but keep their top TEs in. Run from shotgun. Touchdown. Reich was playing personnel chess to Jason Garrett's checkers.

7. That was the strangest first half I've seen in some time. KINDA reminded me of that IND-MIA game in 2009. Colts didn't really look to have an answer against Zeke. They made plays when they had to, though, and really rolled their sleeves up in the second half. Garrett is such a BAD playcaller though. Had Zeke rolling and they didn't draw up anything nearly creative enough to Cooper in the passing game.

8. I normally just talk about Colts here, but we can agree Zeke is REALLY impressive, right? He's on another level from other RBs Colts have faced.

9. The depth of Colts' DL is just staggering. It affords an off day for 1-2 guys, and it allows the Colts to defend so many things. They have a line if you want to go jumbo and run...and they have a line if you want to spread out and pass. They still need a premier pass rusher, obviously, but I don't remember any line outside of Indy's 2005 DL having this much versatility.

10. Denico Autry is locked up another 2 years for $10M total. Just saying.

11. Darius Leonard is a cheat code player. Don't underestimate the importance of the PBU stat. He's had 2 huge ones last two weeks. Guys has some of the longest arms I've ever seen on a linebacker.

12. Quincy Wilson was spectacular today. Hats off to the kid. Colts DBs in general aren't a spectacular unit, but they play SO tough within the scheme. They're disciplined, technically sound and do what each play asks them to do. Break down well in space (although Malik Hooker still can't tackle, if we're being honest). This is an extremely well-coached unit. Fun to watch. Also reinforces to me that this team shouldn't make any monster investments at CB.

13. Only complaint about defense: they've gotta tighten zones against dynamic RBs on third down in the flats, and Anthony Walker has gotta start catching some of these gimme INTs. He's dropped 3 this year.

14. Ryan Grant quietly had a very good day. I think he's gone after this year, but he played well today. Worth acknowledging.

15. NFL officiating has been NOSEDIVING this season. December officiating has been awful. I thought this was a well-played game between two good teams for the most part. The refs tried to insert themselves into it so unnecessarily. It makes it look like they're favoring a team when they're not and can avoid those optics. But more importantly: it's just killing the product and dragging these games out unnecessarily. This should have been a tight, tough class between two similar teams. Instead, entire drives were nuked by complete bullshit. It's a leaguewide problem right now, and the NFL doesn't seem to care to address it.

I used to maintain that NFL officiating was miles better than NBA. I no longer hold that opinion.

16. This broadcast really sucked. FOX missed 2 or 3 plays entirely, including the blocked FG "runback". The analysis was really shallow. Pam Oliver needed to take a sick day. What a bad showing by FOX.

17. Nyheim Hines had another quietly good day. I wonder if he factors into the slot receiver equation going forward?

18. Honestly, even if the Colts miss the playoffs this year, I have had a BLAST watching this team. They're fun again. They've made the city care again. This is a special time, folks. The future is extraordinarily bright. You don't complain about the prospect of 2 picks in the top 40 + $130M in cap space, either.

Oldcolt
12-16-2018, 05:12 PM
I just have to say that there is nothing like watching a team improve. I never thought it would be this much this fast though. I can hardly believe it.

DrSpaceman
12-16-2018, 05:34 PM
I have very little criticisms of the Colts today.

Ebron with another drop. The one was hit fault. The other that was just a good hit and D play.

Luckily the Cowgirls had one too that negated a TD. A huge play

The officiating in the first half was just atrocious. That one drive alone they basically cost the Colts at least 3 if not 7 points. The Hilton 'taunting' call? What in the fuck! Asking for a flag not is a penalty? Then they are going to be penalizing someone after every damn play. Not only that he asked for one because the Dallas player threw the ball after the play at a Colts player.

The pass int not called on the sideline at the half against TY? Jesus Christ, beyond just tackling him with the ball in the air, what more would the defender have to do to get a penalty?

Just awful. The continuous missed calls, bad calls, major game changing calls that are missed are just inexcusable. They need a system not just to grade but to punish refs for blatantly bad calls. Fines, suspensions, something, and they need to enforce them. There is NO EXCUSE for those two calls in particular being missed, they were obvious, not in the least bit questionable.

I literally did break my TV screen over this. A small plastic lightweight child's plastic block at high speed can break a Hidef TV, is anyone was wondering.

Elliot was the only thing the Cowboys had today. Nothing else. He kept it close the first half, second half, ran away with it

And fuck skip Bayless and his "Dak Prescott is better than Luck in every way". Many of those sacks were coverage sacks, his fault entirely. Hung on to it

Also the Colts clearly were watching to make sure Dak didn't run the ball against them, not sure he had a single rush for a gain all day.

But really the last two weeks, those are the most complete games the Colts have played in 4 years.

DrSpaceman
12-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Oh and my selfish criticism : lost my fantasy game most likely due to Lucks and Ebron's subpar statistical games.

I did have Mack as well, he helped, but not enough to likely win.

YDFL Commish
12-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Great game by the OL. Great play calling by Reich. More great play from Leonard. What a breakout from Tyquan Lewis!

The best team defense I have seen in years.

Racehorse
12-16-2018, 05:36 PM
11. Darius Leonard is a cheat code player. Don't underestimate the importance of the PBU stat. He's had 2 huge ones last two weeks. Guys has some of the longest arms I've ever seen on a linebacker.

Yeah, but he isn't 6'4", lol

daedge
12-16-2018, 05:47 PM
It's just nice to really care about this team again. I mean, I never stopped really caring, but it was soul destroying watching them in recent years. It was a case of watching them and not caring. There was next to nothing to get excited about. I even stopped yelling at the TV, or punching the air, when a call went against us. Like I said, it was soul destroying. Yet I still watched the depressing train-wreck of a Pagano coached team.

Thank goodness that era is over. Now, the chest pounding is back when Autry slams a punk like Dak into the turf.

There is reason to believe. I'm shitty again when the Colts lose, and my day is made when they win.

GO COLTS.

Chromeburn
12-16-2018, 05:51 PM
I think the refs cost us a TD in the first half. May be two max. We should have blown this game out.

DrSpaceman
12-16-2018, 05:58 PM
I think the refs cost us a TD in the first half. May be two max. We should have blown this game out.

I guess to be fair we got Lucky on the one dropped pass by the Cowboys that would have made it a much closer first half.

Otherwise though, yes, if they refs in the first half had no completely fucked over the Colts, this was a blowout

indycolts2
12-16-2018, 06:12 PM
#4: Yes the Colts absolutely lock up Kelly in off season!

dwilli57
12-16-2018, 06:46 PM
It's just nice to really care about this team again. I mean, I never stopped really caring, but it was soul destroying watching them in recent years. It was a case of watching them and not caring. There was next to nothing to get excited about. I even stopped yelling at the TV, or punching the air, when a call went against us. Like I said, it was soul destroying. Yet I still watched the depressing train-wreck of a Pagano coached team.

Thank goodness that era is over. Now, the chest pounding is back when Autry slams a punk like Dak into the turf.

There is reason to believe. I'm shitty again when the Colts lose, and my day is made when they win.

GO COLTS.

I agree, a fun watch today. One of my favorite plays was Desir beating the ball out of the Cowgirl receiver's hands, I forget who it was but that was one of the more athletic plays of the day to me.

Hoopsdoc
12-16-2018, 07:01 PM
That penalty on Hilton in the 2nd quarter was more than just bad. That looked dirty. He did nothing but ask for a flag.

If I were the cynical type, I’d think the fix was in on that.

I hope the Colts ask for clarification on that one.

Puck
12-16-2018, 07:16 PM
That penalty on Hilton in the 2nd quarter was more than just bad. That looked dirty. He did nothing but ask for a flag.

If I were the cynical type, I’d think the fix was in on that.

I hope the Colts ask for clarification on that one.

I'll be honest.... I saw about all the calls they called against us in the replays. So I am not as upset with the refs as most. I mean come on if its a penalty its a penalty.

But the one on Hilton was horrible. He wasn't even in the play. AND the cowfuck defender threw the ball into the back of Mack as he was walking back to the huddle. It should have been on the cowfucks not Hilton

southside asshole
12-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks to GBB for starting this thread. Bro, your analysis posted so soon after every game is one of my favorite things to consume after a game, and one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back to this forum season after season.

My (MD prescribed) Adderall is kicking in and I'm feeling chatty, so I'm going to do something uncharacteristic and write up my own thoughts about the game today. I have no idea if I'll ever do this again.

Game ball goes to the whole O-line today. Whether running or passing, they completely exerted their will against a talented defense and just dominated the line of scrimmage all day long. There's so much talent on that line and they've gelled into such a cohesive unit that it's just remarkable to watch. I do have some concerns about depth at center, because there's a big drop-off behind Ryan Kelly, but Boehm seemed to handle himself pretty well last week against Houston after being completely unprepared vs. Jax the previous week. There's a lot of toughness in that group.

Credit goes to Dave Deguglielmo for recognizing how to arrange the depth here and keep their technique sharp this late into the season, but I don't think you can overstate the impact a player like Nelson has had on the overall attitude and performance of this line. His influence has pushed them all to be better, causing a lot of these guys to play beyond what I ever considered to be their potential. You can see the pride in their workman-like performance in both phases of the offense. When the Colts go max protect, you just aren't getting to Luck. Period. If anyone does break a block and come through, Luck just scampers away through a massive hole and runs or throws for a 1st down.

The biggest difference I saw in Marlon Mack today was his patience. He consistently waited for blocks to develop upfield and just laddered his way into the secondary on repeated plays. He also seemed sharper today, breaking contact and evading tackles when, over much of the season, he's really needed to get out of the backfield unimpeded for any hope of going for more than 3 yards. Honestly, watching Mack run against Dallas today reminded me of how teams used to run on us during the Dungy era. A small and fast defense is great up until they encounter a big, mean offense with some discipline. When Mack is at his best, he reminds me most of Darren Sproles. I hate Darren Sproles, but I love when Mack looks like Darren Sproles.

Nyeim Hines once again shows what a good addition to this offense he is for catching passes out of the backfield and making plays with his legs. His hands are better than I ever expected. If he keeps this up, he could really become a guy other teams need to plan for, which will only open up further opportunities for T.Y. and Ebron.

Speaking of Eric Ebron, Mr. Longsleeves had a tough game today. That first drop was entirely on him, and basically killed what was shaping up to be a scoring drive. After that drop, we ended up penalized into a 2nd and 30, from which there was basically nothing that could regain momentum. I agree with whoever said the 2nd incompletion was just a great play by the defender. Outside of 1 or 2 other catches, he was pretty quiet. I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but I think Dallas really schemed to try to take him out of the game and were mostly successful. If the Dallas offense had been able to sustain anything and get points on the board, it might have been enough to make the difference for them in this game.

I'd be remiss to bag on Ebron today and not mention his toughness, though. The dude has taken some real shots over the last few weeks. I know he's huge, but that still takes a toll, and he's still out there playing with an obvious chip on his shoulder.

Our defense plays the most unlikely version of bend-don't-break I've ever seen. It's like they bend all - the - way - down - to - the - floor, and then snap back, flinging offenses clear across the field with nothing to show for their efforts. Without the benefit of real data, the number of red-zone-reaching drives opposing offenses have managed that resulted in 0 points against this D strikes me as pretty uncommon. Despite this, the number of emergent playmakers on defense keeps me from ever losing faith or assuming opposing scoring plays are guaranteed. I don't know how many players on the field are named Darius Leonard, but at this point you'll have a hard time convincing me that number is fewer than 3. The guy is just everywhere. I can't remember seeing a rookie linebacker so immediately ready to take on the NFL. Autrey continues to prove his worth. Hunt continues to appear and just fuck your day at the most inopportune moments. Walker and Desir also had good games today.

Adam Vinatieri is boring. I love that Adam Vinatieri is boring. To a very large extent, the Colts special teams have played so consistently well all season that we're all basically taking them for granted now. They're the least-penalized-per-play Colts unit on the field up to this point of the season. I know some of that is due to the NFL's pussified kickoff rules of the last 2 years, but a lot of the credit goes to a man named Bubba Ventrone, who is a year younger than me, has a long special teams pedigree, and agreed to leave the Patriots and join our coaching staff AFTER McSnake had already reneged on his commitment. The way he's coached them up has made a huge difference considering the dearth of premier players outside of the kicking unit.

Once again, Reich just flat out-schemes and out-coaches the other sideline. GBB said it best - he was playing chess vs. their checkers. The sheer number of different plays the Colts run out of different looks has all but erased their once-famed predictability under Pagano/Chud/Hamilton and even Arians, if we're honest. The pervasive and hard-to-explain bias of the media and rest of the NFL against the AFC South will probably result in Nagy winning Coach of the Year, but it's hard to make an argument against Reich. It's clear by now how key he was to Philly's SB run, and we're watching him develop into an elite NFL head coach.

Overall, this has been the most fun I've had watching the Colts since the heydays of the Manning / Dungy era. I kept saying prior to the start of this season that if they went 8-8 and trended positively over the course of the season, I'd consider it a complete success. My best expectations have been
exceeded. What started as the first year of an optimistic rebuilt probably 3 - 4 years away from real contention has started looking like a team that's only a few key pieces away from making a legit run to the big show. They're already a team opponents need to worry about.

wow

I wrote a lot

probably too much for a reply on GBB's thread... apologies for that

Colt Classic
12-16-2018, 07:46 PM
^^^

Nice analysis there too :cool:

Games like this tip the scale toward not wanting to have a single RB counting $20 mil against the cap. Especially one who was booted from his own locker room.

Maniac
12-16-2018, 07:47 PM
What I saw today was the Colts offensive line MANHANDLE one of the best defensive lines in the league. They won off the snap consistently and negated some damn good players on the other side of the ball. It was fun to watch.

On a side note. I watched this game at a bar with a bunch of Cowboys fans, and the sadness on their faces as their team got dominated was fucking fun to watch. :D

Hoopsdoc
12-16-2018, 07:51 PM
GBB, on your last point, how fun this team is to watch-one of my favorite parts of watching every game is watching big number 56 sprint down the field and help his teammates up after the play.

He does it Every. Single. Time.

I pointed it out to my wife today. It’s a joy to watch.

Puck
12-16-2018, 07:54 PM
GBB, on your last point, how fun this team is to watch-one of my favorite parts of watching every game is watching big number 56 sprint down the field and help his teammates up after the play.

He does it Every. Single. Time.

I pointed it out to my wife today. It’s a joy to watch.

yep. And if you keep your eyes open while the camera is following the ball you can often see him in the background pancaking the fuck out of someone

southside asshole
12-16-2018, 07:55 PM
yep. And if you keep your eyes open while the camera is following the ball you can often see him in the background pancaking the fuck out of someone

And dragging his nuts over their face on his way back to his feet.

Hoopsdoc
12-16-2018, 08:05 PM

He did it to Vander Esch at least once today.

Chromeburn
12-16-2018, 08:16 PM
He did it to Vander Esch at least once today.

Wow that must have been a long drag cause... you know... he's 6'4

Brylok
12-16-2018, 08:34 PM
My (MD prescribed) Adderall is kicking in and I'm feeling chatty, so I'm going to do something uncharacteristic...

Keep taking the Adderall. Good post

Colts And Orioles
12-16-2018, 08:36 PM
o

I usually avoid the Skip and Shannon Show, but I'll be watching tomorrow ........ Shannon Sharpe needs to jam this one down his partner's throat, because that fucking weasel really asked for it this week.

o

southside asshole
12-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Keep taking the Adderall. Good post

Thanks bruh

It's funny. I'm pushing 40 and have basically white-knuckled it through my entire life dealing with ADHD. I've never had any trouble staying employed or anything, but I finally got sick of not being able to pay attention to conversations and losing focus on things and talked to my Dr. It's already made a huge difference.

Aaaaanyway, that's enough TMI from me. Back to Football. :)

omahacolt
12-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Here is a quick thought or question I should say.

What kind of value could we get by trading Hooker?

Colt Classic
12-16-2018, 09:27 PM

He's still on his fairly cheap contract until 2022, but who wants a safety that doesn't show up on the stat sheet much? I can't imagine he'd return even a 4th.

JAFF
12-16-2018, 09:30 PM
He's still on his fairly cheap contract until 2022, but who wants a safety that doesn't show up on the stat sheet much? I can't imagine he'd return even a 4th.

Did dallas score? Its a team game

Puck
12-16-2018, 09:32 PM

I brought this up a couple of months ago. It I agree with where you are going with this. He is a fish out of water here

indycolts2
12-16-2018, 09:42 PM
I'll be honest.... I saw about all the calls they called against us in the replays. So I am not as upset with the refs as most. I mean come on if its a penalty its a penalty.

But the one on Hilton was horrible. He wasn't even in the play. AND the cowfuck defender threw the ball into the back of Mack as he was walking back to the huddle. It should have been on the cowfucks not Hilton

I'm not doubting your seeing the calls against the Colts in replay but in no way did Castonzo deserve a block in the back penalty when they called that.

GoBigBlue88
12-16-2018, 09:46 PM
I'm not doubting your seeing the calls against the Colts in replay but in no way did Castonzo deserve a block in the back penalty when they called that.

My take on that series was:

1. The holding on Kelly was legit and fair.

2. The block in back on Castonzo was a soft penalty, but you could say it's technically letter of law. The defender turned into it and was past the play, but you could at least point to a rulebook and explain that to me.

3. The Hilton taunting call was fucking bullshit and refs should be punished for making those kinds of calls. The flag came 10 seconds after the play ended and the refs debated for another minute after that. They clearly had no idea. If they had integrity, they'd have picked it up and just said "there is no foul for unsportsmanlike conduct." But they felt the need to justify throwing a flag.

TheMugwump
12-16-2018, 09:48 PM

This, plus the non-flag on Prescott's intentional grounding. That ball was 5 yards short of the LoS and at the feet of a lineman.

omahacolt
12-16-2018, 09:48 PM
I will take it

Chromeburn
12-16-2018, 10:03 PM
I will take it

I’d rather wait and see how he does next season. If he does better and you still want to trade him, then he raised his value. If not then his value stays about the same. But his talent is worth it to me to have another year. And he does seem to be doing his job, I haven’t read any complaints about him from the coaches.

Hoopsdoc
12-16-2018, 10:05 PM
This, plus the non-flag on Prescott's intentional grounding. That ball was 5 yards short of the LoS and at the feet of a lineman.

I was disappointed that Reich didn’t seem to throw much of a fit over that.

Also, isn’t that reviewable?

FatDT
12-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Regarding.Hooker. I was excited about him when we drafted him. I love a playmaking, ball-hawking safety. But either he isnt’ who we thought, or he is wasted in this defense. Either way, if we were able to trade him for a 3rd or better, I would be happy with that. I just don’t think it is going to work out. I’m not mad at Hooker either. I just don’t think it’s a good fit.

GoBigBlue88
12-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Eh, I'm OK with Hooker still erasing big plays on the back end. There's presumably a reason teams aren't airing it out against the Colts. Sure, if you can get a high pick and argue a 2nd-3rd round safety could do the same thing in this system, have at it. But for now, I'm OK with riding Hooker deep.

nate505
12-16-2018, 10:59 PM

GO COLTS.

I definitely cared as little as possible the last two years. I even missed a few games which I pretty much never do. I'm glad I'm back to my usual routine, with me panicking that I may hear the score of the game before I get back home to it on my DVR when I have to do crappy xmas stuff during the holidays.

southside asshole
12-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Eh, I'm OK with Hooker still erasing big plays on the back end. There's presumably a reason teams aren't airing it out against the Colts. Sure, if you can get a high pick and argue a 2nd-3rd round safety could do the same thing in this system, have at it. But for now, I'm OK with riding Hooker deep.

Is Hooker that scary in coverage, or is it just the presence of a body back there deep making intermediate passes more appealing targets?

nate505
12-16-2018, 11:02 PM
#4: Yes the Colts absolutely lock up Kelly in off season!

The plus side to never using anything on free agency is that Ballard should be able to lock up Kelly/Nelson/Leonard/etc. with no worries at all.

omahacolt
12-16-2018, 11:03 PM

Watch him game in and game out. There isn’t much he is doing. Period. He isn’t constantly erasing deep throws.

And he does not want to come tackle

omahacolt
12-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Is Hooker that scary in coverage, or is it just the presence of a body back there deep making intermediate passes more appealing targets?

He isn’t scary back there. He does his job but he isn’t doing anything special.

GoBigBlue88
12-16-2018, 11:05 PM

Fair question. I don't know. I think he covers a lot of ground and teams aren't going deep for a reason. But systemically, yes, there are easier throws conceded, and you could argue Hooker's position doesn't require a ballhawking centerfielder to play it.

southside asshole
12-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Fair question. I don't know. I think he covers a lot of ground and teams aren't going deep for a reason. But systemically, yes, there are easier throws conceded, and you could argue Hooker's position doesn't require a ballhawking centerfielder to play it.

It seems to me, especially after today, that Eberflus knows his personnel aren't the group who will smother and force 3-and-outs the majority of the time against competent offenses. I think he runs a deep zone cover scheme to force offenses into longer drives, increasing the opportunities for them to make mistakes, so the handful of playmakers we do have out there can take advantage.

Of course I could also be inventing a rationale behind what's really just a team that lacks talent in the defensive backfield and is soft in coverage.

bertjones
12-16-2018, 11:43 PM
To me it seemed like the Colts offense was just toying with the Dallas D, it
felt like they could do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to.
Amazing. I remember that a lot of us were pining for that Cowboys O line.
well now we have it, and then some.
Amazing how this defense has jelled and become a force. Just add a couple
of free agents and draft primarily for D and I don't see why they can't replicate what
Chicago has done.
The officiating was atrocious. This team never seems to get a fair shake and
I'm getting sick and tired of that.

albany ed
12-17-2018, 06:43 AM
I'd give Hooker another year. I suspect he's not been 100% all season. Also, the Colts have played a soft zone all year because their corners aren't that good and would get beat often in man to man. If they can get a quality shut down corner next year and Hooker gets healthy, then, if he still doesn't live up to his expectations, it's time to move on.

Racehorse
12-17-2018, 07:56 AM
But for now, I'm OK with riding Hooker deep.
Ahem. I see what you did there.

Colt Classic
12-17-2018, 08:58 AM
He isn’t scary back there. He does his job but he isn’t doing anything special.

Who do you have in mind for a replacement? Use the draft pick for a rookie or is there a free agent? I don't think much money needs to be spent on safeties compared to a play-maker at some other position.

Spike
12-17-2018, 09:30 AM
To me it seemed like the Colts offense was just toying with the Dallas D, it
felt like they could do whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted to.
Amazing. I remember that a lot of us were pining for that Cowboys O line.
well now we have it, and then some.
Amazing how this defense has jelled and become a force. Just add a couple
of free agents and draft primarily for D and I don't see why they can't replicate what
Chicago has done.
The officiating was atrocious. This team never seems to get a fair shake and
I'm getting sick and tired of that.

Something needs to be done about the officiating. It almost makes the games unwatchable. The officials were trying to keep the Cowboys in the game, but the Colts overcame that bullshit.

Luck4Reich
12-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Something needs to be done about the officiating. It almost makes the games unwatchable. The officials were trying to keep the Cowboys in the game, but the Colts overcame that bullshit.

Gets worse every year

natagu23
12-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Gets worse every year

Trust me. It's not as bad as some of the officiating in college.

sherck
12-17-2018, 11:08 AM
$189.000m = Estimated 2019 NFL Salary Cap
$049.594m = Roll-Over of unused portion from 2018 Colts Cap
=========
$238.594m = Colts 2019 Salary Cap

$114.512m = Current 2019 Colts Obligations
$001.125m = 2019 Dead Money (Basham, Green, Morrison most of it)
$002.145m = Estimated Draft Class (8 picks)
$003.000m = In-Season "Churn" Space
$001.300m = Practice Squad
=========
$122.082m = Colts 2019 Obligations

$116.512m = Cap Space Available to Sign Free Agents (our own and others)

2019 Colts Unrestricted Free Agents:

PK Adam Vinatieri, 45 years old
OG Matt Slauson, 33 years old
DE Marqus Hunt, 32 years old
NT Al Woods, 32 years old
FS Mike Mitchell, 32 years old
OT J'Marcus Webb, 31 years old
LB Najee Goode, 30 years old
WR Dontrelle Inman, 30 years old
WR Ryan Grant, 28 years old
CB Pierre Desir, 28 years old
TE Ryan Hewitt, 28 years old
SS Clayton Geathers, 27 years old
OG Mark Glowinski, 27 years old
DE Jihad Ward, 25 years old

I was going to go into a LONG explination of whom I think needed to be re-signed before free agency starts and how much but I decided that was a conversation for later.

Right now, I am hanging a price tag to re-sign: Glowinski, Desir, Geathers and Vinatieri to starter level contracts and Hunt, Inman and Ward to depth level contracts for a total of around $28m cap hit for 2019.

Restricted Free Agents = CB Chris Milton, LB Luke Rhodes, SS Corey Moore, OC Evan Boehm, OC Josh Andrews, RB Jonathan Williams, WR Chester Rogers, SS Matthias Farley and TE Ross Travis. The RFA tag for 2019 will range somewhere from $1.6m - $1.8m and my guess that a few of those guys will get the RFA tag. Call it $5m for 3 of them.

Total we can spend on other teams free agents = $83.5m

As for Ryan Kelly, he has, thus far, been paid $8.575m over the first 3 years of his career including his signing bonus. Year 4 of his rookie contract (2019) will pay him an additional $1.875m for a total of $10.450m.

If the Colts exercise the 5th year option on him for 2020 (which they should), that will pay him the average of the 3rd - 25th paid players at his position which for 2018 would be $5.78m.

$10.45m for his first four years in the league. Around $6m for year five alone. That sound pretty darn fair in my book.

In year six (2021), he will probably start making north of $10m a year but that is how the contracts are structured; both the NFL and players union wanted to stop paying so much to rookies and more to seasoned veterans who have shown they have earned it.

NO NEED to re-sign Kelly two years early.

Walk Worthy,

ChileColts
12-17-2018, 11:20 AM
"Malik Hooker tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee and missed the final 9 games of the season."

Usually take a full season to recover such a big injury....can we wait for next season to see a fully recover ??

Chromeburn
12-17-2018, 12:06 PM
"Malik Hooker tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee and missed the final 9 games of the season."

Usually take a full season to recover such a big injury....can we wait for next season to see a fully recover ??

Personally, I would. The injury also robbed him of an NFL offseason. In games played he just finished his rookie season. He is on his rookie contract. If someone wants to beat him out let them beat him out for the position.

southside asshole
12-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Personally, I would. The injury also robbed him of an NFL offseason. In games played he just finished his rookie season. He is on his rookie contract. If someone wants to beat him out let them beat him out for the position.

The more I think about it (because trading Hooker wasn't something that was on my radar until Omaha mentioned it), the more I agree with you.

If it's true that any old JAG back deep would have a similar effect to the way we're utilizing Hooker, I don't see much reason to not continue to let him be that JAG. He's on a rookie contract, and I'm unaware of anyone likely to be sitting at whatever round of the draft we'd get for him that would address any of the pressing needs we have.

Might as well wait and see.

Chromeburn
12-17-2018, 01:09 PM
The more I think about it (because trading Hooker wasn't something that was on my radar until Omaha mentioned it), the more I agree with you.

If it's true that any old JAG back deep would have a similar effect to the way we're utilizing Hooker, I don't see much reason to not continue to let him be that JAG. He's on a rookie contract, and I'm unaware of anyone likely to be sitting at whatever round of the draft we'd get for him that would address any of the pressing needs we have.

Might as well wait and see.

Yeah pretty much. It's a weak DB draft. I think waiting to see if his talent emerges at the position has a better payoff. We won't see a value return if we trade him. And people will be pissed if it becomes a Tim Jennings situation.

Oldcolt
12-17-2018, 01:52 PM
I think Hooker is a case of great being the enemy of good. Hooker is not the problem of this team. He's good now and will be much better next year with a full year under his belt since the injury and Eberflus having an offseason to put him in better situations.

On another not how about those hands on Hines? Reich continues to find ways to use guys to their best ability.

HoosierinFL
12-17-2018, 02:03 PM
My thoughts on Hooker. Yes he has been schemed out a little, but I think that is likely to change. I think early in the season, Flus et al knew they had a lot of young/new guys and they played it conservatively: a lot of soft zone and cover 2. But as the season has progressed, the zone is tightening up, we blitz a little more, and overl the defensive play calling has got more aggressive as the players have learned the system. This may end up making Hooker relevant again.

Spike
12-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Trust me. It's not as bad as some of the officiating in college.

Yes it is. The 2nd quarter was as brutal as I have ever seen in a football game. Just fucking terrible officiating. Goodhell has to fix this shit ASAP.

Maniac
12-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Yes it is. The 2nd quarter was as brutal as I have ever seen in a football game. Just fucking terrible officiating. Goodhell has to fix this shit ASAP.

Which, of course, they won't do.

Maniac
12-17-2018, 03:06 PM
I think with Tyquan's 2 sacks, that brings the total up to 13 sacks for the Colts rookies this season so far. That's pretty damn impressive.

Chaka
12-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Someone posted on Twitter that PFF gave Darius Leonard a 49 rating for this week's game. If so, that pretty much says it all about PFF. What did Vander Esch get?

Pez
12-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Wild, 40 bucks a year...

Brylok
12-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Ed Reed he is not, but I don't want to get rid of the kid yet. Maybe he'll flourish in a different system after Eberflus takes a head coach job somewhere.

Luck4Reich
12-17-2018, 09:34 PM
Someone posted on Twitter that PFF gave Darius Leonard a 49 rating for this week's game. If so, that pretty much says it all about PFF. What did Vander Esch get?

Yeah fuck PFF

omahacolt
12-17-2018, 10:30 PM

A dude on twitter thought I was an idiot because I said a pff ranking wasn’t a stat.

He seriously thought it was the same as say number of yards or catches. Moral of the story, people are stupid.

Have no idea why shrek thinks a pff ranking means something

omahacolt
12-17-2018, 10:33 PM

But what would that change how he is used? He still won’t want to play run support.

YDFL Commish
12-18-2018, 02:28 AM

Pancaked by Big Q!

Racehorse
12-18-2018, 07:28 AM
A dude on twitter thought I was an idiot because I said a pff ranking wasn’t a stat.

He seriously thought it was the same as say number of yards or catches. Moral of the story, people are stupid.

Well, you ARE an idiot, but not for that reason.

omahacolt
12-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Well, you ARE an idiot, but not for that reason.

Right. At least be honest about the reasons I am an idiot.

Chaka
12-18-2018, 10:01 AM

That’s funny. For me, it’s the lack of transparency that bugs me about PFF, as well as the presentation of their grades in decimalized format (as if it’s the product of some sophisticated mathematical analysis).

Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with expressing an opinion about a player’s skills and assigning rankings based upon those opinions. We read those types of analyses all the time and decide whether we agree or disagree based upon the information used to support the opinion and our belief about the author’s knowledge and experience.

But I feel like PFF is pretty deceptive in this way. Their rankings are really no different from any other subjective opinion, but unlike most opinions they don’t let you know who is doing the rankings, or how the rankings are achieved. It’s just a giant black box which spits out a numerical grade (always with that extra decimal to trick you into thinking its more objective than it is). So essentially you have no reliable way of judging the merits of their analysis, other than to simply compare it with what you see yourself. But then why do I need PFF? Why would I ever be convinced by anything PFF says if they don't tell me why they are saying it? It’s just a marketing gimmick.

smitty46953
12-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Right. At least be honest about the reasons I am an idiot.

Inbreeding perhaps ? Just a theory ... :cool:

omahacolt
12-18-2018, 10:11 AM
That’s funny. For me, it’s the lack of transparency that bugs me about PFF, as well as the presentation of their grades in decimalized format (as if it’s the product of some sophisticated mathematical analysis).

Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with expressing an opinion about a player’s skills and assigning rankings based upon those opinions. We read those types of analyses all the time and decide whether we agree or disagree based upon the information used to support the opinion and our belief about the author’s knowledge and experience.

But I feel like PFF is pretty deceptive in this way. Their rankings are really no different from any other subjective opinion, but unlike most opinions they don’t let you know who is doing the rankings, or how the rankings are achieved. It’s just a giant black box which spits out a numerical grade (always with that extra decimal to trick you into thinking its more objective than it is). So essentially you have no reliable way of judging the merits of their analysis, other than to simply compare it with what you see yourself. But then why do I need PFF? Why would I ever be convinced by anything PFF says if they don't tell me why they are saying it? It’s just a marketing gimmick.

Exactly. Smart man.

1965southpaw
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

I heard several of the national analysts yesterday proclaim Leonard as the top candidate for drpoy , including Willie McCheater. His profile is on the rise!