PDA

View Full Version : Matt Eberflus vs. Cowboys

DrSpaceman
12-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Since Eberflus was just last year coaching for the Cowboys, does this influence the upcoming game vs. Dallas? Help the offense or the defense?

I think Eberflus has been great this year and have even seen his name mentioned as one of the head coaching candidates for next year when the inevitable firings take place in 3 weeks.

I think he is probably a year or two away from that happening, but you never know

McDaniels really did us a favor. I truly think he, or the Pats, was just trying to screw over the Colts because now I hear his name seriously being thrown around as the Packers next coach. IF he takes that job, its pretty clear, that whole thing last year was a charade to try and screw over this organization.

In the end though the joke is on him and the Pats because he actually helped hire a great D coordinator that would otherwise probably not have come here and allowed the Colts to wait and hire Reich.

YDFL Commish
12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Since Eberflus was just last year coaching for the Cowboys, does this influence the upcoming game vs. Dallas? Help the offense or the defense?

I think Eberflus has been great this year and have even seen his name mentioned as one of the head coaching candidates for next year when the inevitable firings take place in 3 weeks.

I think he is probably a year or two away from that happening, but you never know

McDaniels really did us a favor. I truly think he, or the Pats, was just trying to screw over the Colts because now I hear his name seriously being thrown around as the Packers next coach. IF he takes that job, its pretty clear, that whole thing last year was a charade to try and screw over this organization.

In the end though the joke is on him and the Pats because he actually helped hire a great D coordinator that would otherwise probably not have come here and allowed the Colts to wait and hire Reich.

On the subject of the evil empire and their court jester, I have no comment. As to whether or not the Marinelli/Cowboys relationship has an advantage for either side...I would say mostly no.

rcubed
12-10-2018, 05:31 PM
mcdaniels is a douche and I am happy we ended up with reich.

I dont think it was part of some master plan by NE just to screw with us. maybe icing on the cake that it was the colts vs some other team. i think they didnt want to disrupt the offense and convinced him to stay with some promises.

omahacolt
12-10-2018, 05:38 PM
I don’t think his familiarity with the cowboys will help all that much.

That said, I think eberflus has been fantastic this year

FatDT
12-10-2018, 06:05 PM
I like Eberflus and wish people would tone down the HC talk FFS. He's probably the best DC we've had since that guy from the Broncos in 2009, the one Polian overruled and made us go back to the shitty Tampa 2. I like the way he uses the front 7 (or 6, really, since we often only use 2 LBs). It's nice to see effective stunts on the DL, Teerlinck's stunts were garbage. I was a little skeptical of the Marinelli-style DL but I can't gripe about it much at this point. I think we're one blue-chip pass rusher away from a top DL. Lots of good complimentary rushers that can get hot and ruin a drive.

I don't think Leonard or Walker become the players they have, not even close, without Eberflus. I like the way he uses Geathers. I still don't care for some of the situational coverages, and sometimes I don't like the way he uses Hooker/the FS, but I've come to think some of Hooker's issues are injury-related.

Maybe he will have some familiarity with how to best attack Prescott and get him rattled but I don't expect to shut down the Cowboys. With Cooper and Elliot playing well they are hard to stop.

Hoopsdoc
12-10-2018, 07:05 PM

I was thinking about this today. If nothing else, he should be relatively familiar with Prescott, which can’t hurt.

Hoopsdoc
12-10-2018, 07:41 PM
I was thinking about this today. If nothing else, he should be relatively familiar with Prescott, which can’t hurt.

At the same time, I suppose it could be said that Prescott should also be familiar with Eberflus’s scheme, so who knows?

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
12-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Interesting - Holder published an article yesterday that seems to indicate that Ballard was the one interested in hiring Eberflus as the DC - that he was asking people during the interview process for the Head Coach position if they would work with Eberflus. Holder said that if the interviewee was a defense minded coach and wanted to bring along another coach they had previously worked with, that Eberflus might not have been hired. But if the interviewee was an offense coach, Ballard was suggesting Eberflus for DC.

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1072844380229242880

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1072672921460584448

Chromeburn
12-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Having a coach go against his old team is a huge advantage. He knows the inherent weaknesses to attack better than anyone. There have been plenty of examples to back this up. I like our odds in this one.

Chromeburn
12-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Interesting - Holder published an article yesterday that seems to indicate that Ballard was the one interested in hiring Eberflus as the DC - that he was asking people during the interview process for the Head Coach position if they would work with Eberflus. Holder said that if the interviewee was a defense minded coach and wanted to bring along another coach they had previously worked with, that Eberflus might not have been hired. But if the interviewee was an offense coach, Ballard was suggesting Eberflus for DC.

I have been wondering about this lately. Was there anyone specifically that the snake wanted and is now on our staff. Seems a bit muddled when trying to find info.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
12-12-2018, 02:19 PM
I have been wondering about this lately. Was their anyone specifically that the snake wanted and is now on our staff. Seems a bit muddled when trying to find info.

I always assumed the OL coach - Dave DeGuglielmo - due to him working 2 years with the Pats. But, he has sort of been a journeyman - worked for 5 other NFL teams besides the Colts, including the Dolphins twice.

1965southpaw
12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Maybe off topic but I try to never expose myself to the dumbass that is Skip Baylliss..... bit unfortunately people give him a platform by repeating his ridiculous takes. I heard his latest take re the upcoming Colts v Cowgirls game is that the QB advantage is firmly with the cowgirls.....seems Dak is far superior to Andrew on EVERY metric that matters. He's smarter, a better leader, and more gifted athletically.

Ok guess the QBR doesn't matter (8th in the NFL vs 22nd, advantage Luck). Dumbass. :cool:

DrSpaceman
12-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Maybe off topic but I try to never expose myself to the dumbass that is Skip Baylliss..... bit unfortunately people give him a platform by repeating his ridiculous takes. I heard his latest take re the upcoming Colts v Cowgirls game is that the QB advantage is firmly with the cowgirls.....seems Dak is far superior to Andrew on EVERY metric that matters. He's smarter, a better leader, and more gifted athletically.

Ok guess the QBR doesn't matter (8th in the NFL vs 22nd, advantage Luck). Dumbass. :cool:

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

especially since not Bayless but one someone I heard last month was basically saying Jones regrets now getting rid of Romo for Dak.

Chromeburn
12-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Bayliss says injuries and turnovers is why.
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1395909187843

Shape's counter
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1395950147819

As for brains, Stanford>Miss St

As for athleticism, I believe Luck had similar measurables to Cam Newton coming out.

But Skip is the equivalent of click bait to me. Also fans have never let him forget his RG3 over Luck argument.

Maniac
12-12-2018, 03:12 PM

He only says that stupid shit because he gets a reaction. Stop giving him a reaction.

Luck4Reich
12-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Skip Bayless.....hahahahahahahahahahah!:rolleyes:

Luck4Reich
12-12-2018, 03:14 PM
His comments are worth about as much as a Fart in a Windstorm.

VeveJones007
12-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Ballard was pretty clear about this in interviews after the Reich press conference. He said that Eberflus was his guy regardless of the HC. Ballard wanted to get back to a 4-3 because no dome team has ever won a title playing a 3-4 base.

Chromeburn
12-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Ballard was pretty clear about this in interviews after the Reich press conference. He said that Eberflus was his guy regardless of the HC. Ballard wanted to get back to a 4-3 because no dome team has ever won a title playing a 3-4 base.

That’s an interesting theory. I wonder why they think a dome will be more effective for a 4-3 defense than a 3-4? Is it just a Tampa-2 speedbased defense over other ones? Take advantage of that fast turf?

DrSpaceman
12-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Even if he said that, maybe its true, but after the fact, its hard to know how much of that is just for show so it doesn't seem like "We are just sticking with him because we have to" and how much is the truth.

Bill Polian always made lots of claims after the fact, you never knew how much was true.

DrSpaceman
12-12-2018, 05:45 PM
That’s an interesting theory. I wonder why they think a dome will be more effective for a 4-3 defense than a 3-4? Is it just a Tampa-2 speedbased defense over other ones? Take advantage of that fast turf?

Yes not really sure why a 4-3 would be favored over a 3-4 for Dome teams or why that makes a difference.

Plus its a small sample size of Dome teams that have won a title.
1999 Rams
2007 Colts
2010 Saints

All those teams were offense first powerhouses. That was more the defining characteristic of all of them rather than anything about the defenses.

Pez
12-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Bayliss says injuries and turnovers is why.
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1395909187843

Shape's counter
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1395950147819

As for brains, Stanford>Miss St

As for athleticism, I believe Luck had similar measurables to Cam Newton coming out.

But Skip is the equivalent of click bait to me. Also fans have never let him forget his RG3 over Luck argument.

I have never seen that show. That's like like mixing a foaming at the mouth political AM radio show with sports. Both segments were very hard to listen to.

Dak has made a great showing... he made the playoffs as a rookie, missed as a sophomore and looks to be having a decent, if perhaps pedestrian season this year. I forgot that Dallas started 3-5.

As it sits now they have a two game lead in the NFC east. It would be a shame if someone screwed that up for them.

DrSpaceman
12-12-2018, 06:21 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

In terms of individual passing stats, only one item in one season stands out for Dak vs. Luck : He only threw 4 INTs his rookie season.

But even so, his yardage numbers are average, not even breaking 4000 yards and not likely to do it this year. He has averaged 22.5 TDs per season first two years and is right on pace for that again this year. 13 INTs last year.

He does run for a lot of yards, will give him that.

His average season so far though for passing, and they have all been about the same, would be at the lower end of any complete season for Luck

If you want to say he has been healthier, OK, true, but the other stuff is just stupid.

1965southpaw
12-12-2018, 07:21 PM
He only says that stupid shit because he gets a reaction. Stop giving him a reaction.

I know Jesus.....you tell us to turn the other cheek.......but I hate listening to stupid people saying stupid things. I will Try to be better. ;)

Chromeburn
12-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Yes not really sure why a 4-3 would be favored over a 3-4 for Dome teams or why that makes a difference.

1999 Rams
2007 Colts
2010 Saints

All those teams were offense first powerhouses. That was more the defining characteristic of all of them rather than anything about the defenses.

I always thought we ignored the LB position in the draft when they were running the 3-4. Those are your biggest playmakers in that D and you want to throw some high draft capital at the position. I always thought we were slow at the LB position and it kept that defense from getting better. Grigson probably admired some team that built their LB core on low round picks.

Butter
12-12-2018, 09:08 PM

I love what Walker had to say bout Eberflus.

The message was simple: Buy in or “you will not play,” LB Anthony Walker said.

Racehorse
12-13-2018, 07:50 AM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

In terms of individual passing stats, only one item in one season stands out for Dak vs. Luck : He only threw 4 INTs his rookie season.

But even so, his yardage numbers are average, not even breaking 4000 yards and not likely to do it this year. He has averaged 22.5 TDs per season first two years and is right on pace for that again this year. 13 INTs last year.

He does run for a lot of yards, will give him that.

His average season so far though for passing, and they have all been about the same, would be at the lower end of any complete season for Luck

If you want to say he has been healthier, OK, true, but the other stuff is just stupid.
That team had a solid wall on the line for him his rookie season.

sherck
12-13-2018, 08:01 AM
My guess is that the 3-4 defense is built on larger, more beefy players on the front seven because the D-Linemen need to take on more double teams and the LBs are more often combatting O-Linemen one-v-one.

That, to me, screams built for bad weather where the weight advantage of your bigger D-linemen and beefier LBs are not as effected since the games slows down across the board.

In a dome, it is always perfect weather conditions on a fast surface which lends itself to a faster defense, i.e. a 4-3 defense.

Complete conjecture on my part but take advantage of those 8 games you play in your house.

Walk Worthy,

Dewey 5
12-13-2018, 11:38 PM
That team had a solid wall on the line for him his rookie season.

And the NFL rushing leader. Zeke makes that team go not Dak.

VeveJones007
12-14-2018, 12:09 AM
My guess is that the 3-4 defense is built on larger, more beefy players on the front seven because the D-Linemen need to take on more double teams and the LBs are more often combatting O-Linemen one-v-one.

That, to me, screams built for bad weather where the weight advantage of your bigger D-linemen and beefier LBs are not as effected since the games slows down across the board.

In a dome, it is always perfect weather conditions on a fast surface which lends itself to a faster defense, i.e. a 4-3 defense.

Complete conjecture on my part but take advantage of those 8 games you play in your house.

Walk Worthy,

That’s absolutely the case. What good does a bigger set of players do you when you can’t keep up with the speed of the offense for 8+ games each year?

VeveJones007
12-14-2018, 12:15 AM

1999 Rams
2007 Colts
2010 Saints

Those teams had a chance to win a title every single season.

Luck4Reich
12-14-2018, 12:20 AM

1999 Rams
2007 Colts
2010 Saints

Freeney was wrecking Brees and the Saints in the first half. Damn it that injury he had. Second half he had nothing left to give. That was a painful game for me. Should have been Peytons second SB win.

Chromeburn
12-14-2018, 12:40 AM

Walk Worthy,

I see what you are saying. You have some beefier guys, but really only the NT and ends which are really DT's in another defense. You can have a fast 3-4. Both the Steelers and Ravens had them during peak years. I don't know.

Spike
12-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Fuck Skip Balless. He is one of the dumbest bastards I have ever listened to.

HoosierinFL
12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Fuck Skip Balless. He is one of the dumbest bastards I have ever listened to.

People always say he says these controversial things just to get attention/clicks and he's laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe, but hardly any other talking head says such stupid stuff. He's so wrong about Luck, over and over, that anything he says is almost guaranteed to be the opposite of true.

chicagocolt
12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Freeney was wrecking Brees and the Saints in the first half. Damn it that injury he had. Second half he had nothing left to give. That was a painful game for me. Should have been Peytons second SB win.

And goddamn Hank Baskett.. Hate him to this day.

YDFL Commish
12-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Baskett and Caldwell, having Stover attempt a 50 yd field goal near the end of the 1st half. So fucking stupid, when he coulda pinned that Saints deep and then they probably just run out the clock.

Colts And Orioles
12-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Baskett and Caldwell, having Stover attempt a 50-yd field goal near the end of the 1st half. So fucking stupid, when he coulda pinned that Saints deep, and then they probably just run out the clock.

o

That's not how the first half played out.

The Colts had a successful goal line stand late in the 2nd quarter, in a very similar fashion in which they had against the Ravens in the regular season. From their own 1 yardline, the Colts' offense then ran 3 conservative running plays for 9 yards, and were forced to punt. That sequence of events is what gave the Saints a short field to work with with less than a minute to play in the half, and they subsequently kicked a field goal to close the gap from 10-3 to 10-6.

The missed 51-yard field goal attempt by Stover occurred early in the 4th quarter, with the Colts clinging to a 17-16 lead.

I believe that you are correct about Stover, though ........ he was in his last season in the NFL, and at 42 years-old he was very reliable from inside of 45 yards at that point in his career, but not so much from deeper than that.

o

DrSpaceman
12-14-2018, 03:22 PM

And if the Atlanta Falcons were not a bunch of dumb asses on play calling and clock management, Freeney would have had a second one as well. And Brady one less.

DrSpaceman
12-14-2018, 03:24 PM

The IRONICALLY NAMED Hank Baskett.

Baskett my ass. Can't catch a kick that comes straight to him.

YDFL Commish
12-14-2018, 03:27 PM
o

The Colts had a successful goal line stand late in the 2nd quarter, in a very similar fashion in which they had against the Ravens in the regular season. From their own 1 yardline, the Colts' offense then ran 3 conservative running plays for 9 yards, and were forced to punt. That sequence of events is what gave the Saints a short field to work with with less than a minute to play in the half, and they subsequently kicked a field goal to close the gap from 10-3 to 10-6.

The missed 51-yard field goal attempt by Stover occurred early in the 4th quarter, with the Colts clinging to a 17-16 lead.

I believe that you are correct about Stover, though ........ he was in his last season in the NFL, and at 42 years-old he was very reliable from inside of 45 yards at that point in his career, but not so much from deeper than that.

o

You sir are correct, but Caldwell was still an idiot.

YDFL Commish
12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
The IRONICALLY NAMED Hank Baskett.

Baskett my ass. Can't catch a kick that comes straight to him.

The way Baskett tells the story, is that he had the ball and when he heard someone calling blue ball, blue ball he relinquished it.

May or may bot be true.

DrSpaceman
12-14-2018, 03:57 PM
The way Baskett tells the story, is that he had the ball and when he heard someone calling blue ball, blue ball he relinquished it.

May or may bot be true.

Dumbass either way

Unless its the ref asking for it, you keep it on a pile like that

Pez
12-14-2018, 04:45 PM

May or may bot be true.

I call bullsh*t. The ball bounced off his helmet and flew 5 yards away from him. He fell flat on the turf, got up and then jumped the pile after almost a full second.

I couldnt make a gif for copyright, but.... it's here at 3:32...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zuCOfcSjc

Possession in the pile wasnt clear when he jumped in, but the whole thing is irrelevant if he'd caught the damn thing.

1965southpaw
12-14-2018, 04:51 PM

May or may bot be true.

.....and then he fucked a tranny and Kendra gave him a case of permanent blue balls. Seems an appropriate bit of karma for robbing us all of a second Super Bowl. :mad::D

Chromeburn
12-14-2018, 04:53 PM
The other thing to note is that Reich knows the Cowboys very well from his Philly days. When it comes to familiarity we have the edge.

Pez
12-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Amari Cooper is going to be a challenge for Desir. But, he did hold Deandre Hopkins to 4 catches on 10 targets for 26 yards. Deandre Hopkins is currently the 9th best receiver in the league, while cooper is 39th.

Cooper has 4 games over 100 yards, and 4 games over 10 catches (2 games over 180 yards, one with Oakland). With the exception of his first game in Dallas (a loss to the Titans), the Cowchickens have won every game since.

He exploded last week vs Philly, catching 10 of 13 of 217 yards and 3 tds. Granted Philly is the 30th ranked defense against the pass, and Indy is 14th vs the pass.

What does Eberflus do here, make sure the guy gets chipped at the line, have a safety spotlight cooper to help Desir?

If we can somehow shut down cooper, I like our chances better against stopping Ezekiel Elliot. The Cowboys have only won two games when Elliot is held under 100 yards. That's a bit of a bullshit stat because any team with a 100 yard rusher is likely to win, but it is what it is.

I don't think Prescott is as much a threat rushing as he used to be, and that is a direct result of the quality of Dallas' OL going down. The only time Prescott rushed for more than 80 yards was their inexplicable 40-7 loss to the Jaguars.

So if we can shut down cooper and bring pressure against the run we have a solid chance.

I'm concerned about Glowinski being out, but hopefully Kelly's return and our depth will offset missing a starter on OL.

YDFL Commish
12-14-2018, 05:47 PM
I call bullsh*t. The ball bounced off his helmet and flew 5 yards away from him. He fell flat on the turf, got up and then jumped the pile after almost a full second.

I couldnt make a gif for copyright, but.... it's here at 3:32...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zuCOfcSjc

Possession in the pile wasnt clear when he jumped in, but the whole thing is irrelevant if he'd caught the damn thing.

I agree. Also, after watching that whole clip, they emitted a key Garcon drop on a slant that was probably going to go for a TD.

YDFL Commish
12-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Amari Cooper is going to be a challenge for Desir. But, he did hold Deandre Hopkins to 4 catches on 10 targets for 26 yards. Deandre Hopkins is currently the 9th best receiver in the league, while cooper is 39th.

Cooper has 4 games over 100 yards, and 4 games over 10 catches (2 games over 180 yards, one with Oakland). With the exception of his first game in Dallas (a loss to the Titans), the Cowchickens have won every game since.

He exploded last week vs Philly, catching 10 of 13 of 217 yards and 3 tds. Granted Philly is the 30th ranked defense against the pass, and Indy is 14th vs the pass.

What does Eberflus do here, make sure the guy gets chipped at the line, have a safety spotlight cooper to help Desir?

If we can somehow shut down cooper, I like our chances better against stopping Ezekiel Elliot. The Cowboys have only won two games when Elliot is held under 100 yards. That's a bit of a bullshit stat because any team with a 100 yard rusher is likely to win, but it is what it is.

I don't think Prescott is as much a threat rushing as he used to be, and that is a direct result of the quality of Dallas' OL going down. The only time Prescott rushed for more than 80 yards was their inexplicable 40-7 loss to the Jaguars.

So if we can shut down cooper and bring pressure against the run we have a solid chance.

I'm concerned about Glowinski being out, but hopefully Kelly's return and our depth will offset missing a starter on OL.

Hopkins is a better WR than Cooper. If Desir can shut down Hopkins then he can shut down Cooper. Also, I'm confident that Haeg will be an adequate replacement for Glowinski.

RCAChainGang
12-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Hopkins is a better WR than Cooper. If Desir can shut down Hopkins then he can shut down Cooper. Also, I'm confident that Haeg will be an adequate replacement for Glowinski.

I think the key to winning the game will be to stop the run. I feel very good about forcing Dak to beat us through the air. I think his success comes through balance in the offense. I think we have a shot to slow down Zek. Really impressed with what Eberflus has done with the personel - plenty of speed on obvious passing situations, but also lots of bulk to anchor the DL early to stop the run. I don't think any of this matters though if TY is out.

Winning out will be very tough and the Cowboys will be the toughest team remaining. Here is to hoping we can pull it off.

Dewey 5
12-15-2018, 05:11 PM
o

o

Didn't Garcon drop a pass during that play sequence? I recall him dropping a key pass that not only would have given the Colts a first down but there was a ton of green in front of him that he may have even be able to take it to the house.

Pez
12-16-2018, 06:05 AM
It sucks that someone brought this up. I had managed to thoroughly suppress that game from memory... it's like picking a scab.

Colts And Orioles
12-16-2018, 06:23 AM
o

o

Didn't Garcon drop a pass during that play sequence? I recall him dropping a key pass that not only would have given the Colts a first down but there was a ton of green in front of him that he may have even be able to take it to the house.

o

Garcon dropped a crucial pass in the game, but it was not during that sequence, it was just prior to that sequence.

With the Colts already ahead by a score of 10-3 in the 2nd quarter, they had a 3rd down from their own 28-yardline. Garcon was wide open. Manning hit him well beyond the first down sticks, but Pierre dropped the ball, forcing the Colts to punt.

In fact, with Garcon's speed and with him being as wide open as he was (and with the position on the field in which the Saints' defensive backs were in when the pass was thrown), it has been speculated that Pierre very well may have scored a touchdown on that play had he caught the ball, which would have given Manning and company a commanding 17-3 lead ........ a lead that would have been unlikely to be blown by that 2009 Colts team.

o

Dewey 5
12-16-2018, 10:53 AM
o

Garcon dropped a crucial pass in the game, but it was not during that sequence, it was just prior to that sequence.

With the Colts already ahead by a score of 10-3 in the 2nd quarter, they had a 3rd down from their own 28-yardline. Garcon was wide open. Manning hit him well beyond the first down sticks, but Pierre dropped the ball, forcing the Colts to punt.

In fact, with Garcon's speed and with him being as wide open as he was (and with the position on the field in which the Saints' defensive backs were in when the pass was thrown), it has been speculated that Pierre very well may have scored a touchdown on that play had he caught the ball, which would have given Manning and company a commanding 17-3 lead ........ a lead that would have been unlikely to be blown by that 2009 Colts team.

o

Thanks. I just remember the drop because it was an oh shit this is not good moment. You know, I've never re-watched that game, looked at the stats, anything connected to that game. Such a grand choke job horrible SB.