PDA

View Full Version : Draft Crush

Chromeburn
04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Give me your draft crush or crushes. Who you want to see the Colts draft no matter what.

Mine are:

TJ Watt: I think this guy will be just as disruptive as his brother but at LB. Relentless and good instincts already for playing the position for as little as he has.

Reuban Foster: I have come full circle on Foster. I don't care about the blowup or the drug test. The guy sets the tone for a D and he hits like a mack truck. He flows to the ball and sniffs out plays with astonishing speed. We will needs bigs in front of him, he isn't going to stack and shed all day. But if you get him free he will tear things up.

Derek Rivers: This guy is a late riser and didn't play great competition. But he has all the tools you want in a good pass rusher. I feel like he is what Tim Williams should be. I am hoping he is there in the second, but that may not be now and some are picking him for the first round.

YDFL Commish
04-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Joe Mixon...end of story.

Foster scares me. Bad shoulders, Bad brain and bad attitude. I can see him being out of football in 5 years...ala Bob Sanders.

Coltsalr
04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Reuben Foster: He has all the physical skills to fix what ails us at ILB. He's proven his ability in the SEC and he's been well coached by who they have at Alabama. I think he'd be a spectacular fit for us, and he'd go a long way toward helping us where we're currently weak. I understand the concerns about him, but I think the upside and the potential we'd stand to improve from having him on the roster is too great to leave him be.

Zach Cunningham/Jarrad Davis: Failing that, I like these two as relatively fairly similar players that could help us at ILB, which I still believe is our weakest position on our roster, but a position that could be addressed fairly easily/well in the 1st round of this draft. Both guys that did well in the SEC and have the athleticism to cover in the NFL and can wallop at an NFL-level and they have the intangibles that Foster lacks. While they're certainly both more athletic than any ILB we currently have on our roster, neither are quite the freak monsters that Foster is.

Dalvin Cook: Yes, I think he's that good. I think he could be our next Edgerrin James. I'm that sold on him. I do think the need at LB is higher, but I do like this guy enough that I'd be in the small (but growing slightly it seems) minority where I wouldn't be ripshit if he's drafted by us in the 1st round.

Charles Harris/Tim Williams/Carl Lawson: I think at least one of these will be available in the 2nd round. Again, probably showing my SEC bias, but I think all three have NFL potential where they have the skillset where they'd be able to come in and at least have some impact from Day One (they wouldn't be project picks, which, A. I don't trust our coaching staff to develop and B. We're in absolute dire need of pass rush help right now).

Marcus Maye: I like this guy a lot as a 3rd/4th rounder (I realize that he's getting some hype as a 2nd rounder now, not sure on that one). Might be a bit redundant with Clayton Geathers, but I'll let Geathers come back from his neck injury before I decide definitively to start passing up talent at his position because he supposedly has it locked down.

Shaquille Griffin: Easy to fall in love with a guy at this size and speed at CB. With CB being the one position that I sort of trust our coaching staff with (again, sort of), I think he'd be a very good pick up in the 3rd/4th and that he could quite possibly come in and start for us in his rookie year and help us shore up our CB group.

DJ Jones: Would be a great use of our 5th round pick, IMO.
Here's his scouting report: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/d.j.-jones?id=2558265
BOTTOM LINE Jones has a freaky combination of power and athleticism that isn't seen all that often. While his playing style is reminiscent of Grady Jarrett's, keep in mind that he's a bigger player. Despite his impressive play attributes, Jones failed to generate the production that his flashes on tape would indicate he's capable of. If a coach can unlock more consistency, Jones has a chance to flourish as a one-gapping nose with three-down ability.

You can't tell me that we couldn't stand to use a Grady Jarrett type on our defense. Bring him in.

FatDT
04-21-2017, 12:30 PM
DE/OLB Derek Barnett - I just really like his game and think he'll translate well to the NFL as a pass rusher and all-around defender. Suggs-like.

DE/OLB DeMarcus Lawrence - see above, but we could maybe get him in round 3 because I guess 280 is too heavy for OLB or too light for DE...? I bet he goes earlier than people expect.

LB Zach Cunningham - I hear comparisons to Derrick Johnson, which is high praise, but I also see some Brian Urlacher in there. A bigger LB with range to cover and the versatility to move around. Blitz him, let him play at the LOS, drop him to cover TEs or RBs. I think he'll do it all in the NFL and do it well. If he somehow lasts til round 2 I'd really like to get him there.

RB Alvin Kamara - I like his ability to catch, pass protect, juke tacklers, or run tough between the tackles. Reminds me a bit of Ahmad Bradshaw. Hopefully without the injuries. Round 3?

DL Chris Wormley - Great size, versatility, strength, attitude. I like everything I've read about him. I think he fits this defense well. If healthy I would expect Anderson to move to 5 tech next year, and I could see Wormley taking his spot at 3 tech going forward. Not sure I would want to use a 2nd on him, just depends on who is there when we pick.

sherck
04-21-2017, 04:40 PM
T.J. Watt. He is going to be a stud.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

omahacolt
04-21-2017, 05:55 PM
mixon is the only guy i really like. mainly because i think we can get him way later than he should be taken

people love tj watt because he is jj's brother and he is white.

indycolts2
04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
McCaffrey........only to see Omaha's head implode!!

omahacolt
04-21-2017, 08:11 PM

No

We know why you want him

apballin
04-21-2017, 08:14 PM
mixon is the only guy i really like. mainly because i think we can get him way later than he should be taken

I like Watt because he's an athletic LB 6'5 240 a guy that long and athletic is rare to play LB think Anthony Barr

njcoltfan
04-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Whats not to like about any one of the above mentioned players, I'll take any one, or all of them !!

natagu23
04-22-2017, 08:20 AM

I would scream at my TV for minutes on end, and complain ceaselessly to everyone I know including my mother who knows nothing about football.

albany ed
04-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Malik Hooker. He'll be gone before 15, but if not? If Mixon is still there in round 2, I'd take him, but not in Round 1.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Joe Mixon...end of story.

Foster scares me. Bad shoulders, Bad brain and bad attitude. I can see him being out of football in 5 years...ala Bob Sanders.

The only thing about Foster is that shoulder that might scare me off. Bad attitude, I think losing his patience was bad but not the worst and it happens. Bad brain, I think he is smart just maybe not book smart. Saban has a complicated playbook and he mastered it, he never seemed to have any hesitatation when it came to responsibilities. Just not every guy can do X's and O's on a chalkboard in an interview setting. But when on the field I think he is very competent.

Mixon losing control worries me. You have to cross a threshold in your head to hit a woman like that. At least I do. Even if he is ok, the negative press that will inevitably accompany him will be a headache, especially for a rookie GM. You need to be in the right market to draft Mixon.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Well those are good blood lines. But TJ has great tape and he is still learning the position. He was all over the field against LSU. I don't see him as a pure EDGE though. More a strong side with the ability to set the edge and also rush the passer. He is perfect in a 3-4.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 09:36 AM

McCaffrey will be good, but he needs to play in the right system. Surprised the pats traded down, he would be perfect there. He is not a bell call back where he can run it inside for 20 plays a game.

natagu23
04-22-2017, 09:48 AM
McCaffrey will be good, but he needs to play in the right system. Surprised the pats traded down, he would be perfect there. He is not a bell call back where he can run it inside for 20 plays a game.

I really see the Patriots going after this guy even though there is a team that has "guaranteed" drafting him.

That would kinda suck because he would fit that system perfectly.

I would sh*t my pants a little. Just a little slippage

indycolts2
04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
I would scream at my TV for minutes on end, and complain ceaselessly to everyone I know including my mother who knows nothing about football.

I agree.....lol, I think he's going to be good but he would not be helping what the Colts need most which is defense - defense and defense.

albany ed
04-22-2017, 05:14 PM
I know the Colts are in bad need of defensive improvement, but if they can generate a consistent running game, the offense would stay on the field longer. This too would improve the defense. Within the first 3 rounds, I'd like to see them get a quality running back.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 07:02 PM
I really see the Patriots going after this guy even though there is a team that has "guaranteed" drafting him.

That would kinda suck because he would fit that system perfectly.

I would sh*t my pants a little. Just a little slippage

I think not making the visits was a mistake, a lot can happen in a warroom on draft day. Some guy could fall. He should of gone. I think the Broncos made that promise. But I would also keep an eye on the Jets. They might do some off the wall shit like that.

He would tear it up in that pats system. I had him slotted there till they traded down. He will give secondaries fits for years if he can get a accurate QB to throw to him.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 07:04 PM
I agree.....lol, I think he's going to be good but he would not be helping what the Colts need most which is defense - defense and defense.

I don't think we would use him correctly. Not really what we want in a RB.

Chromeburn
04-22-2017, 07:06 PM
I know the Colts are in bad need of defensive improvement, but if they can generate a consistent running game, the offense would stay on the field longer. This too would improve the defense. Within the first 3 rounds, I'd like to see them get a quality running back.

With the depth of RB in this draft I think we can grab a guy in the 4th or 5th. I think next year is our RB in the 1st year. How many will that be since 2000? Anyway I like that LSU RB next year. We really need defense in the worst way. It has been so bad I think Colts fans have forgotten how useful a good defense really is.

Blue Thunder
04-22-2017, 08:50 PM
It's my dream scenario...so it will never happen;

1)Reddick-LB, 2)Bowser-OLB, 3)Witherspoon-CB, 4)Douglas-CB, 4)Brian Hill-RB, 4)Siragusa-OG, 5)Hodges-TE

I think that would be a killer haul. Would take a safety in the 4th if I really thought the RG situation was solved. Not so sure.

Chromeburn
04-23-2017, 02:11 AM
It's my dream scenario...so it will never happen;

1)Reddick-LB, 2)Bowser-OLB, 3)Witherspoon-CB, 4)Douglas-CB, 4)Brian Hill-RB, 4)Siragusa-OG, 5)Hodges-TE

I think that would be a killer haul. Would take a safety in the 4th if I really thought the RG situation was solved. Not so sure.

That could happen. Depends how high Bowser has risen on boards. But I see this draft definitely possible. There will be talent well into the 4th and 5th in this draft.

Blue Thunder
04-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Hey Chrome...Do you ever Sleep?

Coltsalr
04-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Hey Chrome...Do you ever Sleep?

He's in LA, IIRC.

GoBigBlue88
04-23-2017, 04:34 PM
In this thread: people who have read other people's draft opinions for 2 months and watched a YouTube highlights package, and me being a buzzkill.

FatDT
04-23-2017, 11:20 PM
In this thread: people who have read other people's draft opinions for 2 months and watched a YouTube highlights package, and me being a buzzkill.

Yeah you say this every year. We're not draft experts. Neither are you, and neither are a lot of the people getting paid a lot to write about the draft. Hell, Grigson is one of many who proved you don't have to be good at scouting to get a job drafting players.

omahacolt
04-24-2017, 07:57 AM

It is better than back in the day when all people did was check out 40 times and judge guys. Now only dam does that.

But I do think some dudes get super douchey when it comes to the draft. The guys that say things like a cb has bad hips or some dumb shit

apballin
04-24-2017, 05:54 PM
It is better than back in the day when all people did was check out 40 times and judge guys. Now only dam does that.

But I do think some dudes get super douchey when it comes to the draft. The guys that say things like a cb has bad hips or some dumb shit

40 times matter
Bench reps matter

apballin
04-24-2017, 05:55 PM

WTF else do you need to see?

Show me a highlight reel and tell me his college and level of competition and I'll tell you if he's worth therisk or not. Any pick is a fuckin gamble, nobody knows if these guys want to do anything after they get paid

GoBigBlue88
04-25-2017, 02:59 PM
WTF else do you need to see?

Show me a highlight reel and tell me his college and level of competition and I'll tell you if he's worth therisk or not. Any pick is a fuckin gamble, nobody knows if these guys want to do anything after they get paid

Grigson?

apballin
04-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Yeah I'm not a college scout nor do I get paid for it, a lot of people spend a lot of time going to games watching endless film, digging into these guys private lives only to draft a player and hope he doesn't take the money and lay down

Chromeburn
04-25-2017, 11:04 PM
40 times matter
Bench reps matter

It matters in that it exposes guys who might slip through with bad speed or strength. Like Teez Tabor, good tape and instincts but I don't know how he plays in the league as a 4.7 guy.

apballin
04-27-2017, 07:32 PM
It matters in that it exposes guys who might slip through with bad speed or strength. Like Teez Tabor, good tape and instincts but I don't know how he plays in the league as a 4.7 guy.

To me it shows me if a guy performed much better surrounded by great teammates/system or if he's a real athlete on his own