PDA

View Full Version : Only "good" part about this loss.....

DrSpaceman
10-14-2018, 10:35 PM
The whole division really sucks.

it seems the AFC South resurgence, and I am not sure you can call it that when the division has never really been good, was greatly overestimated. Maybe AFC south supra-mediocrity was overestimated?

Anyway the whole division is mediocre to bad, kind of like the NFC East.

The Jags and Titans were crushed today in lopsided affairs and Houston eeks one out over Buffalo.

Let me start the slow clap for stay within striking distance of a bad division

Chromeburn
10-14-2018, 10:36 PM

it seems the AFC South resurgence, and I am not sure you can call it that when the division has never really been good, was greatly overestimated. Maybe AFC south supra-mediocrity was overestimated?

The Jags and Titans were crushed today in lopsided affairs and Houston eeks one out over Buffalo.

Marriota is overrated. Jags can't seem to sustain success. Well they have Bortles.

njcoltfan
10-14-2018, 10:51 PM

Listen guys, don’t fool yourselves into thinking that this team can “win” anything except the first pick in this years draft. Management has said since the beginning of free agency that this year was a rebuilding year, and so far they have been spot on ,they will be lucky to win another game, and IMO, they don’t care. IMO they are years away from contending for anything but high draft picks, by the time they start contending, Brissett might be the QB.

omahacolt
10-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Listen guys, don’t fool yourselves into thinking that this team can “win” anything except the first pick in this years draft. Management has said since the beginning of free agency that this year was a rebuilding year, and so far they have been spot on ,they will be lucky to win another game, and IMO, they don’t care. IMO they are years away from contending for anything but high draft picks, by the time they start contending, Brissett might be the QB.

What a terrible post

Chaka
10-14-2018, 10:54 PM

That is a ridiculous statement - you’re a Jets fan, aren’t you?

njcoltfan
10-14-2018, 10:54 PM
What a terrible post

Thanks, but what do you really think??

Chromeburn
10-14-2018, 11:07 PM

Brisset will likely be traded. I wouldn't say years away. But yeah this year not happening.

FatDT
10-15-2018, 08:38 AM
I think the pieces are coming together. I didn't expect to lose this much this early, but I didn't expect to contend for a wild card, much less the division. If the WRs caught half their drops this year I think we'd have more wins and be in position to win the AFC South. Which is stupid, we're not good enough to win an NFL division yet. Especially with all the injuries.

There's no doubt we're a bad team but it's easily explained IMO. I'm not discouraged. If you secretly thought we'd contend for a playoff spot then I can see why you'd be disappointed, but that was never in the cards.

omahacolt
10-15-2018, 09:57 AM
I think the pieces are coming together. I didn't expect to lose this much this early, but I didn't expect to contend for a wild card, much less the division. If the WRs caught half their drops this year I think we'd have more wins and be in position to win the AFC South. Which is stupid, we're not good enough to win an NFL division yet. Especially with all the injuries.

There's no doubt we're a bad team but it's easily explained IMO. I'm not discouraged. If you secretly thought we'd contend for a playoff spot then I can see why you'd be disappointed, but that was never in the cards.

We have Luck and this division is trash. No reason we shouldn’t be contenders for the division.

Dam8610
10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
We have Luck and this division is trash. No reason we shouldn’t be contenders for the division.

If Luck wasn't giving the other team so many points, that would be happening.

Maniac
10-15-2018, 10:58 AM

If you think it's all on Luck, then you are blind as hell.

Oldcolt
10-15-2018, 11:01 AM

I disagree completely. Ballard wants to get the correct 'culture' here. I am assuming he wants a winning culture. You have to learn how to win to have a winning culture. Tough to do if you are committed to losing so you get a high draft choice. FatDT got it right in his post in this thread. To insinuate that Luck is part of the problem is insane. If we had the caliber of player as Luck at every position this team would be unbeatable.

Many fans may be young and this is their first real rebuild. I've been thru a lot of them and they all feel this way at some time. It's where they go from here that counts. I'll admit to being a little nervous for these next few games as I thing they may be key.

njcoltfan
10-15-2018, 11:49 AM
I disagree completely. Ballard wants to get the correct 'culture' here. I am assuming he wants a winning culture. You have to learn how to win to have a winning culture. Tough to do if you are committed to losing so you get a high draft choice. FatDT got it right in his post in this thread. To insinuate that Luck is part of the problem is insane. If we had the caliber of player as Luck at every position this team would be unbeatable.

Many fans may be young and this is their first real rebuild. I've been thru a lot of them and they all feel this way at some time. It's where they go from here that counts. I'll admit to being a little nervous for these next few games as I thing they may be key.

Exactly how or where did I insinuate that Luck was
the problem?

FatDT
10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

We don't have old Luck back yet. The South is trash but I don't think they will all keep losing like this. Surely it would be unprecedented for a 6 or 7 win team to win their division.

omahacolt
10-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Luck didn’t cause the pick 6. These losses aren’t on Luck alone. Stop with the nonsense

Dam8610
10-15-2018, 12:26 PM

I think the Andrew Luck that valued ball security led his team to an 11-5 record and a division win. Maybe it's the quality of his receivers, but he's turning the ball over a lot. He had 3 INTs yesterday. That's not what great QBs do.

Dam8610
10-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Luck didn’t cause the pick 6. These losses aren’t on Luck alone. Stop with the nonsense

Of course they're not on Luck alone. If the defense could've defended a slant the other day, this game also could've turned out differently. That said, the defense was expected to be bad. Luck wasn't expected to be giving the other team bunches of points and not valuing possession of the ball.

Maniac
10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
I think the Andrew Luck that valued ball security led his team to an 11-5 record and a division win. Maybe it's the quality of his receivers, but he's turning the ball over a lot. He had 3 INTs yesterday. That's not what great QBs do.

How many of them were results of poor passes and how many were results of receivers screwing up? Quite a few recently have been due to the receivers, but people not actually paying attention want to blame it all on Luck.

Luck has always thrown some dumb passes that get picked off now and then, but it's bad right now because his WR's are making things worse.

FatDT
10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Of course they're not on Luck alone. If the defense could've defended a slant the other day, this game also could've turned out differently. That said, the defense was expected to be bad. Luck wasn't expected to be giving the other team bunches of points and not valuing possession of the ball.

Maybe not by you. I expected the first half of his season to be rough. Part of rebuilding him as a QB will be rebuilding his decision-making. The popular trope right now is that Luck is this Favre-like gunslinger, doomed to make dumb decisions in between brilliant throws forever. I don't buy it. He showed progression in this from his rookie year to his best year. His struggles do not surprise me, but I do expect them to get better. His head coach is a former NFL QB and former NFL QB coach. Reich and his staff will work through the dumb decisions with Luck.

Dam8610
10-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Maybe not by you. I expected the first half of his season to be rough. Part of rebuilding him as a QB will be rebuilding his decision-making. The popular trope right now is that Luck is this Favre-like gunslinger, doomed to make dumb decisions in between brilliant throws forever. I don't buy it. He showed progression in this from his rookie year to his best year. His struggles do not surprise me, but I do expect them to get better. His head coach is a former NFL QB and former NFL QB coach. Reich and his staff will work through the dumb decisions with Luck.

Obviously the Favre-like gunslinger thing is hyperbole, but it's not like Luck is some 3rd or 4th year QB. 2018 is his 7th season, and these tendencies have never fully gone away at any point. I hope you're right about Reich and his staff, but the early results don't show it.

DrSpaceman
10-15-2018, 06:01 PM
How many of them were results of poor passes and how many were results of receivers screwing up? Quite a few recently have been due to the receivers, but people not actually paying attention want to blame it all on Luck.

Luck has always thrown some dumb passes that get picked off now and then, but it's bad right now because his WR's are making things worse.

I'd say its about 50/50 for the season.

Two of those yesterday were on Luck.

Even the one to Mack to start the game, yes it was a "tipped ball", but as I mentioned in the game thread :

That play was obviously going nowhere, even if he caught it, just throw the ball away, don't even throw it.

It was a horrible play call. The Colts have not run a good RB screen all year, just disaster after disaster, and Reich decides to run it inside the Colts own 20 to start the game and also throw it to a RB that has yet to play or even have a single touch this year up to that point in the season. WTF is he thinking for even trying it?

GoBigBlue88
10-15-2018, 08:14 PM
I'd say its about 50/50 for the season.

Two of those yesterday were on Luck.

Even the one to Mack to start the game, yes it was a "tipped ball", but as I mentioned in the game thread :

That play was obviously going nowhere, even if he caught it, just throw the ball away, don't even throw it.

It was a horrible play call. The Colts have not run a good RB screen all year, just disaster after disaster, and Reich decides to run it inside the Colts own 20 to start the game and also throw it to a RB that has yet to play or even have a single touch this year up to that point in the season. WTF is he thinking for even trying it?

I'd have to see the All-22, but I had the exact opposite interpretation of that play. I thought it was set up for at least 20 yards.

omahacolt
10-15-2018, 08:28 PM
I'd have to see the All-22, but I had the exact opposite interpretation of that play. I thought it was set up for at least 20 yards.

I agree. I thought he had all kinds of room. Could be wrong though

JAFF
10-15-2018, 09:16 PM

Dont go there, he’s just in need of attention

Racehorse
10-16-2018, 06:47 AM
Dont go there, he’s just in need of attention

Like a high school student who does not get enough love at home, he has to get attention somewhere,and it won't come by excelling in class, so he has to resort to being the class clown to get noticed. It is sad, actually.

njcoltfan
10-16-2018, 09:16 AM

All QBs have had bad days throwing the ball, hell Manning threw 6 against the Chargers one year, shit happens, get over it.

Chaka
10-16-2018, 09:32 AM
I agree. I thought he had all kinds of room. Could be wrong though

Here's the play (not all 22 but still a good view):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPYBz8J-zcQ

Looks like the CB (#21) was in good position to tackle Mack after the catch.