PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant?

DrSpaceman
10-14-2018, 10:07 PM
I never wanted him before the season but if TY can't play for another 1 or 2 weeks, what the hell can it hurt?

I know he had his own dropping problems, but how much worse can he be than this crap we have seen so far from these bush league WRs?

Oldcolt
10-14-2018, 10:20 PM
It would smell of desperation, which of course describes our wr situation acuratly. Still I don’t think he is worth it. We ain’t gonna win even if we got Jerry Rice in his prime. We don’t need any short term answers

YDFL Commish
10-14-2018, 10:25 PM
I would rather give a 2nd round pick for Amari Cooper.

DrSpaceman
10-14-2018, 10:28 PM

I would as well if that is possible

I had not heard that rumor or that price for him

YDFL Commish
10-14-2018, 10:29 PM
I've only heard that Gruden is shopping him.

Chromeburn
10-14-2018, 10:40 PM

That's a little high I think. A 3rd I would.

Chaka
10-14-2018, 10:59 PM
I never wanted him before the season but if TY can't play for another 1 or 2 weeks, what the hell can it hurt?

I know he had his own dropping problems, but how much worse can he be than this crap we have seen so far from these bush league WRs?

If you subscribe to the view that the Colts are rebuilding, this idea makes no sense

njcoltfan
10-14-2018, 11:20 PM
If you subscribe to the view that the Colts are rebuilding, this idea makes no sense

Why, he’s only 24 .

Chaka
10-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Why, he’s only 24 .

He’s 29

GoBigBlue88
10-15-2018, 08:14 AM
I'd rather see what Reece Fountain has than Dez Bryant. And I'm not expecting Fountain to be good. I just don't see the point of Bryant with this particular team.

FatDT
10-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Why, he’s only 24 .

Cooper is 24, the poster you quoted is referring to signing Bryant, who is 29.

njcoltfan
10-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Cooper is 24, the poster you quoted is referring to signing Bryant, who is 29.

Thanks, I thought he was talking about Cooper.

Maniac
10-15-2018, 10:53 AM

What the hell for? Are the drops from the receivers we currently have not enough for you? Cooper is a drop machine. He has a ridiciulously high number of dropped passes in his career. That's the last damn thing we need right now is more WR dropping passes, especially giving up draft picks for one to do it. Hell no.

Puck
10-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Would have been nice to keep Moncreif.

GoBigBlue88
10-15-2018, 12:19 PM

He's been pretty damn bad in Jacksonville. Idk about that. Wouldn't pay him anywhere near what he got. Jags fans would be glad to see him walk, sounds like.

Puck
10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
He's been pretty damn bad in Jacksonville. Idk about that. Wouldn't pay him anywhere near what he got. Jags fans would be glad to see him walk, sounds like.

Maybe, but look who their QB is.

Either way I was looking for a vet receiver. Rookies can take time to develop unless you have a Reggie / TY mix.

Reggies vetern leadership maybe underrated. Not by people on here for the most part, but TY's development is in part due to Wayne

Chaka
10-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Maybe, but look who their QB is.

Either way I was looking for a vet receiver. Rookies can take time to develop unless you have a Reggie / TY mix.

Reggies vetern leadership maybe underrated. Not by people on here for the most part, but TY's development is in part due to Wayne

Fair enough, Bortles sucks, but Moncrief wasn't all that great when he had a healthy Luck (and he was ridiculed here). 64 receptions in 2015 and 30 in 2016. Perfectly fine under a rookie contract, but not enough to justify a $10 million contract like he received from JAX.

FatDT
10-15-2018, 01:35 PM
I wanted to keep Moncrief. I thought Colts fans gave up on him too early. But he didn't deserve $10M/year and Jacksonville is stupid for giving it to him. I would've been ok with 3 years/$21 million, give or take. At their best he and Luck had a good connection, especially in the red zone.

If he flames out in Jacksonville I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 2 year prove-it contract. Could work out nicely.

Chromeburn
10-15-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm fine with Moncrief walking. We only want him now bc of all the injuries. We wouldn't miss him if we were healthy.

Dewey 5
10-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Not for the money Jax singed him for & he has the same problem he had here. Does not aggressively fight for the football.

DrSpaceman
10-15-2018, 05:52 PM
No, DOnte Moncrief sure as hell was not the guy that was going to make this into some to shelf WR group.

YDFL Commish
10-16-2018, 09:26 AM
What the hell for? Are the drops from the receivers we currently have not enough for you? Cooper is a drop machine. He has a ridiciulously high number of dropped passes in his career. That's the last damn thing we need right now is more WR dropping passes, especially giving up draft picks for one to do it. Hell no.

Cooper's 68.8% catch rate (best of his career) this season, would seem to suggest that his drops are largely behind him.

While those aren't earth shattering HOF numbers, I would take that all day long over Chester Rogers 40% catch rate.

southside asshole
10-16-2018, 11:29 AM
My feelings around not wanting Dez on this team are a little different than what's been stated so far.

This is basically a brand new team - very young, all new coaches, and one of the most important things they're trying to do here in this rebuild period is build an effective culture.

By all signs, the group psychology of this organization has been gradually more and more imperiled with the progressive losses of Dungy, Manning, Polian, thought leaders like Tom Moore, and even Jim Irsay handing off significant operational responsibilities to his kids over the years. I'm not saying any of these things were mistakes - change happens - but the following "choppin' wood" years of buddy coach Pagano and little big man Grigson resulted in a lot of "me-first" bullshit in the locker room that it is clear the new regime is working very hard to replace. And so far the signs are good that there's some success there.

Dez Bryant is 29 but he still has talent. But he also brings a ton of emotional baggage and, as far as I've read, an incompatible attitude to a WR room full of young guys who definitely would not benefit from his example. The short term gains on the field are not worth the long-term obstacles his influence might bring.

Just my 2 cents

Maniac
10-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Cooper's 68.8% catch rate (best of his career) this season, would seem to suggest that his drops are largely behind him.

While those aren't earth shattering HOF numbers, I would take that all day long over Chester Rogers 40% catch rate.

It's the best of his career because he only has 22 receptions on 32 targets for 280 yards. Ramp up the targets to prior levels (130 and 132 targets in 2015 and 2016) and see how many he drops.

You may take that over Rogers, but I absolutely would NOT give up a draft pick for a guy who has dropped as many passes as Cooper has, and certainly not a 2nd round pick like you suggested.

Brylok
10-16-2018, 12:33 PM
We get Dontrelle Inman

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Dez finally agreed to terms with a team - the Saints - on a one year deal. Will be free agent again in 2019. Interesting to see what he can do in a half season with Brees.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/11/saints-to-sign-dez-bryant

Racehorse
11-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Dez finally agreed to terms with a team - the Saints - on a one year deal. Will be free agent again in 2019. Interesting to see what he can do in a half season with Brees.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/11/saints-to-sign-dez-bryant
If he focuses, that offense can be scary good.

Chromeburn
11-07-2018, 01:15 PM
It's the best of his career because he only has 22 receptions on 32 targets for 280 yards. Ramp up the targets to prior levels (130 and 132 targets in 2015 and 2016) and see how many he drops.

You may take that over Rogers, but I absolutely would NOT give up a draft pick for a guy who has dropped as many passes as Cooper has, and certainly not a 2nd round pick like you suggested.

Not a first rounder, that’s for sure. Jerry Jones is the only one who would pay that. We should be able to find a WR in the second or third next year. Plus add in the development of the younger guys and Deon Cain returning and the group should be improved.

Dam8610
11-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Not a first rounder, that’s for sure. Jerry Jones is the only one who would pay that. We should be able to find a WR in the second or third next year. Plus add in the development of the younger guys and Deon Cain returning and the group should be improved.

I'm excited to see what Cain and (insert 2019 mid round draft pick WR here) can do next year. Cain has some legit talent, I don't know why he fell so far in the draft.

Hoopsdoc
11-07-2018, 03:46 PM
New Orleans seems like a bad fit for a guy who was never that fast and isn’t a great route runner. Those were the knocks on him leaving Dallas.

Then again, Brees could probably make Roy Hall a decent wide receiver.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
11-07-2018, 07:19 PM

I agree that a first for Cooper was an overpay. However, supposedly Tennessee also offered a first for Cooper - although they wanted to swap 2nd and 3rd round picks with the Raiders. Basically change 15 or so draft positions in rounds 2 and 3 since Oakland will be drafting near the top of the round and Tenn is currently middle of the pack-ish. Dallas didn't require the other swaps.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/11/05/amari-cooper-makes-cowboys-debut-mnf-close-come-wearing-tennessee-uniform

Chaka
11-08-2018, 11:33 AM
I agree that a first for Cooper was an overpay. However, supposedly Tennessee also offered a first for Cooper - although they wanted to swap 2nd and 3rd round picks with the Raiders. Basically change 15 or so draft positions in rounds 2 and 3 since Oakland will be drafting near the top of the round and Tenn is currently middle of the pack-ish. Dallas didn't require the other swaps.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/11/05/amari-cooper-makes-cowboys-debut-mnf-close-come-wearing-tennessee-uniform

Terrible deal for Dallas - they get Cooper for the two most expensive years of his rookie contract (the last year of his original four year deal, and the bonus option year for 1st rounders). So even if he turns a corner and starts performing up to his draft position, they don't get that much value out of him relative to his contract price. Then, if they want to keep him after that, they'll have to pay him full market price.

The Raiders, by contrast, will get a mid-first rounder who they can control for five years at the undermarket price of a rookie contract. Of course, to truly make this deal work, the Raiders will need to make a good pick

YDFL Commish
11-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Terrible deal for Dallas - they get Cooper for the two most expensive years of his rookie contract (the last year of his original four year deal, and the bonus option year for 1st rounders). So even if he turns a corner and starts performing up to his draft position, they don't get that much value out of him relative to his contract price. Then, if they want to keep him after that, they'll have to pay him full market price.

The Raiders, by contrast, will get a mid-first rounder who they can control for five years at the undermarket price of a rookie contract. Of course, to truly make this deal work, the Raiders will need to make a good pick

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry tried to sign Cooper long term before the season is out.

Butter
11-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Right so completly not compareable.

Dewey 5
11-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Done after 1 practice. Torn achilles tendon

Pez
11-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Wow.... on a 30 year old guy that might be tough...

JAFF
11-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Wow.... on a 30 year old guy that might be tough...

It sucks what ever your age is

Racehorse
11-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Done after 1 practice. Torn achilles tendon

confirmed or speculation?

1965southpaw
11-09-2018, 07:55 PM
confirmed or speculation?

I heard it on NFL network just now.

Racehorse
11-09-2018, 08:14 PM
I heard it on NFL network just now.

OK. Last I heard, it was feared, but not confirmed.

Chromeburn
11-10-2018, 02:05 AM
I wonder if he was keeping himself in shape.