PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz on Simon and what took so long

JAFF
08-16-2018, 05:02 PM
https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-new-position-same-productivity-colts-simon-shines-after-move-defensive-end

WESTFIELD, Ind. (WTHR) - Before embarking on this column about the Colts' defensive end John Simon, who is adjusting to his new position in this new, 4-3 scheme after spending his entire career as a linebacker, let me get something off my chest:

Why didn't the Colts do this last year?

Why did Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard choose to retain Chuck Pagano and his coaching staff, not to mention a defensive style of play that Ballard knew he'd be tossing into the trash bin one year later? Why did Ballard sign free agents who fit into the 3-4, guys like Simon and the now-departed Johnathan Hankins, only to drop Hankins one year later or be forced to guide Simon through this position change? Why did the Colts essentially waste one full season of the rebuilding process?

The only answer I can surmise is, Irsay didn't want to have to pay two coaching staffs – the Pagano coaching staff and whichever new staff might come along.

I asked Ballard that question – why keep Pagano and his staff? -- at the beginning of camp this season, and he said that Pagano had a winning record during his tenure and he wanted to see what Pagano could do with this team – a team Ballard and the organization thought/hoped would include Andrew Luck last season.

My philosophy is, if you change general managers, the way the Colts changed GM's when they turned to Ryan Grigson, the new guy should have the freedom to bring in his own coach, just as Grigson did when Pagano replaced Jim Caldwell. That didn't happen this time around, and the result, thanks largely to Luck's absence, was a lost season that saw the Colts go 4-12.

Which, in a roundabout way, brings me back to Simon, who, as always, is making an impact at this training camp. In the first preseason game against Seattle, Simon was dominant, finishing with 1.5 sacks in nine snaps while consistently getting into the Seahawks' backfield.

The Colts fumbled this whole thing – bringing in a productive 3-4 linebacker and then moving him to defensive end, a position he hasn't played since he was a star at Ohio State. And yet, Simon has a chance to make the Colts look smart – accidentally. Look, he's not an alpha-dog pass rusher – but some guys are just football players, and Simon, it can be said forcefully, is a football player. It doesn't matter that he doesn't have elite size (6-2, 260) to play the position or that he hasn't been a defensive end since he attended Ohio State…the guy just makes plays, specifically 13 sacks in 54 career games. If you're asking me right now who's going to win the position battle between Simon, Tarell Basham, Margus Hunt and Kemoko Turay, it's an absolute no brainer. Basham has been very quiet. Turay is hurt. Hunt has flashed, but I don't see him starting (could be wrong).

Meanwhile, Simon just keeps showing up and getting the job done.

We've seen what he can do at linebacker. Last year, he played six games before getting injured, but has 37 tackles, three sacks and a pick six.

"When the pads go on, you have to finish plays,'' head coach Frank Reich said recently. "That's what I've seen from him. I think what you've seen with John in practice and in the preseason game is that he just knows how to finish. That's important.

"…It's just very evident to me that he brings a couple of things: He brings toughness, he brings savvy. It's like the more intense things get, the better he gets. When we go live periods, when things really ramp up, when we play the preseason game, he just seems to get better and better.''

Said Simon: "…I think I've told you before, football players are football players. You just come out here and have fun and usually everything else takes care of itself.''

Football players are football players.

So simple.

"I just want to be on the field helping the guys out,'' Simon said when asked about the position change. "They told me right before OTAs they wanted me at defensive end and I try to be the best team player I can be. If that's where you want me then that's where I'll be. Come here every day and all I've ever known in my career is just come in and work hard and do whatever I can to help. I've been able to be productive so far and help out the team and that's my main goal.''

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Tampa-2 – a good quarterback will eviscerate a zone when there's no real pass rush, and it's hard to see where the Colts will get a pass rush this year – but it makes sense on different levels. First, this is a very young defense; you want defensive players playing fast and unencumbered by deep thoughts rather than reading and reacting and possibly hesitating. Second, there are salary cap considerations; one of the reasons former team president Bill Polian switched over was because he was spending so much money on stars, especially on the offensive side of the football, and the 4-3 lets you save money on linebackers, who are important but not as important as pass-rushing defensive ends.

Somewhere, somehow, Simon has got to have a place on this football team. Maybe he's not a change-agent on a Super Bowl-quality team, but on this team, a team that is going to scuffle defensively, Simon has to play and play a lot. And chances are, as long as he's healthy, he's going to play well. The last three seasons, he's been good for five sacks, 3.5 sacks (in 11 games) and three sacks last season in just nine games. And that's all coming from the linebacker position.

Some guys shrink under the lights, and yes, I'm referring to Duron Carter, among many others. Some guys bask in those lights, and Simon is one of those players. If he's not playing, and playing a whole lot, something is definitely amiss.

Absolutely agree.

omahacolt
08-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Odd shot at carter at the end

JAFF
08-16-2018, 07:19 PM

I wouldn't say that. He flashed ability and made plays in the pre season, and then when the season came, he disappeared. And he didn't show up anywhere else. Simon made plays before he got here, made plays while he was here and is making plays now.

omahacolt
08-16-2018, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't say that. He flashed ability and made plays in the pre season, and then when the season came, he disappeared. And he didn't show up anywhere else. Simon made plays before he got here, made plays while he was here and is making plays now.

He singled out a dude that had a cup of coffee in the nfl. It was odd. And did carter do well in preseason? I do t remember the dude doing anything

YDFL Commish
08-16-2018, 07:37 PM

You've got that wrong. He made plays and flashed ability during camp and disappeared and dropped passes during pre-season.

YDFL Commish
08-16-2018, 07:38 PM
He singled out a dude that had a cup of coffee in the nfl. It was odd. And did carter do well in preseason? I do t remember the dude doing anything

No he didn't.

Butter
08-16-2018, 08:22 PM

It was a pretty decent article until that. Seemed like such an unnecessary thing. Shit, he cost the Colts what 25 Gs? Why even mention him he is totally forgettable.

VeveJones007
08-16-2018, 09:44 PM
No doubt that Simon is a pro, but I still question whether he can make a difference off the edge in a 4-3. We'll see.

ChoppedWood
08-16-2018, 10:03 PM
I don't know who it was on the radio today, but they said Basham is a complete loss, said he is now running with the 3 and 4's and could be cut.

Qunicy Wilson was mentioned (whoever it was actually has a Twitter spat with Wilson)- he said Quincy Wilson has made ZERO progress and has no chance of improving.

omahacolt
08-16-2018, 10:34 PM
It was a pretty decent article until that. Seemed like such an unnecessary thing. Shit, he cost the Colts what 25 Gs? Why even mention him he is totally forgettable.

Exactly

It came out of nowhere about a dude that was a nothing. Other than training camp dude.

omahacolt
08-16-2018, 10:35 PM
I don't know who it was on the radio today, but they said Basham is a complete loss, said he is now running with the 3 and 4's and could be cut.

Qunicy Wilson was mentioned (whoever it was actually has a Twitter spat with Wilson)- he said Quincy Wilson has made ZERO progress and has no chance of improving.

I still think Wilson can play. Maybe not for the colts but I think the dude can play.

Pez
08-17-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm really disappointed to hear about Basham. I thought he might be a dark horse candidate to show great development after we move back to the 4-3.

Brylok
08-17-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm really disappointed to hear about Basham. I thought he might be a dark horse candidate to show great development after we move back to the 4-3.

I can't remember hearing anything good about him since he's been here so I have zero expectations.

Maniac
08-17-2018, 02:35 PM

With his team building strategy, Ballard has very little room for error for draft busts.

Thorgrim
08-17-2018, 03:15 PM

This sucks if true, especially where Wilson is concerned. I was not particularly enamored with the Basham pick in the first place. I don’t like the idea of picking project players on days one or two and this is exactly what Basham was despite his projected upside. Wilson seemed to have the measurables as well as a proven track record at Florida and iirc most here supported the pick at the time for good reason. Hopefully he shows enough to justify a roster spot because, as mentioned, Ballard can not afford to blow both his second and third round draft picks when he’s using that as his primary method to construct the team.

Oldcolt
08-17-2018, 04:05 PM
He needs to hit on 50% of the choices in my opinion. I'm giving him a little pass on that first draft class as he wasn't here long.

Still liking that there is real competition. The players know whoever wins the competition will play. Ballard isn't bringing in free agents to supplant the guys he drafted. He's going to let them play and see what they can do. Like it. Going to enjoy watching this play out.

JAFF
08-17-2018, 04:06 PM
With his team building strategy, Ballard has very little room for error for draft busts.

If a GM hits 50% on his picks, he's having a good year. So many things can go wrong, that is outside the control of the team or player.

Pez
08-17-2018, 04:15 PM
I can't remember hearing anything good about him since he's been here so I have zero expectations.

Agree, but he was a 4-3 guy shoved into Pags' 3-4...

Maniac
08-17-2018, 06:17 PM
If a GM hits 50% on his picks, he's having a good year. So many things can go wrong, that is outside the control of the team or player.

Ballard is betting the farm on building through the draft, so he's relying on it more than most teams, and he can't afford to miss out especially on the earlier round picks. If Wilson and Basham don't work out, he will likely only have 2-3 players out of 8 picks from 2017 turn into good players. You can't build a team primarily through the draft if you are only getting 2-3 players from each draft.

Ballard needs to stop using 2nd and 3rd round picks on project players with upside.

JAFF
08-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Ballard is betting the farm on building through the draft, so he's relying on it more than most teams, and he can't afford to miss out especially on the earlier round picks. If Wilson and Basham don't work out, he will likely only have 2-3 players out of 8 picks from 2017 turn into good players. You can't build a team primarily through the draft if you are only getting 2-3 players from each draft.

Ballard needs to stop using 2nd and 3rd round picks on project players with upside.

Jesus Christ! You sure are hard to please.

FatDT
08-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Wilson played well in limited time last year. I'm not writing him off yet.

Coltsalr
08-17-2018, 08:09 PM

I’m guessing he was probably a douche, either to Kravitz in particular or the media at large and this was just his way of twisting the knife.

As I recall, Carter essentially said “I don’t do special teams.”

FatDT
08-17-2018, 10:05 PM
There are plenty of douche bands in the NFL, including ones that never do a thing and wash out in 2 years. Carter hasn't been a Colt in what, 5 years? 6 years? It was weird. Lots of his readers probably don't even know or remember who that is.

Dam8610
08-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Getting 2-3 starters out of an average draft is a good result. The 2018 draft should produce more considering the Colts had 5 of the top 64 picks, but that is also not an average draft.

Maniac
08-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Getting 2-3 starters out of an average draft is a good result. The 2018 draft should produce more considering the Colts had 5 of the top 64 picks, but that is also not an average draft.

Not with Ballard's approach. 2 out of 8 won't build a team.

We'll see how 2018's draft does. Those project players he took early have to hit.

omahacolt
08-18-2018, 10:33 AM

We'll see how 2018's draft does. Those project players he took early have to hit.

Yep.

If This 2nd round doesn’t hit, Ballard shit the bed

Dam8610
08-18-2018, 11:20 AM

2 starters per year would take a long time to build a team using Ballard's approach. That's why drafts like the 2018 draft need to produce much more than that. I've said before that 2018 has a chance to produce 8 starting/regular PT players, so I'm expecting a minimum of 4 and hoping for 6 from this class.

Coltsalr
08-18-2018, 01:12 PM
There are plenty of douche bands in the NFL, including ones that never do a thing and wash out in 2 years. Carter hasn't been a Colt in what, 5 years? 6 years? It was weird. Lots of his readers probably don't even know or remember who that is.

Three years (2015), but yeah.

I’m guessing Kravitz has some special grudge for Duron Carter.

FatDT
08-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Wait. I thought Kravitz was talking Delone Carter. Was it Duron or Delone?

Edit : it was Duron, my mistake. Less weird.

YDFL Commish
08-18-2018, 08:54 PM
I think Kravitz remarks are much ado about nothing. He's always been about sensationalism, without regard to if it made sense or not.

Racehorse
08-19-2018, 09:16 AM

I really can't stand Krapitz, but I think I know why he made the Carter comment. He wanted to talk about a player drifting into obscurity. Most Duron Carters of the world do so and people forget their names. However, Krapitz wanted to put a name and face to it, so he tried to think of such a player. Carter is the only one who came to mind, because he was the son of an all-time great.

He would have been better off if he had just not even named a name at all, but Krapitz has to crap on people, so he did.

sherck
08-19-2018, 10:11 PM
To summarize this thread...

Wah, wah, wah, not every pick Ballard made in 2017 is a pro bowl player. He sucks. I want to quit being a Colts fan

That about right?

Good golly, people, get ahold of yourselves.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maniac
08-19-2018, 11:32 PM
To summarize this thread...

Wah, wah, wah, not every pick Ballard made in 2017 is a pro bowl player. He sucks. I want to quit being a Colts fan

That about right?

No. Your version was stupid.