PDA

View Full Version : Indy Star: positions to watch

JAFF
07-23-2018, 07:58 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/07/22/indianapolis-colts-deep-defensive-line-talented-entering-training-camp/796032002/

VeveJones007
07-23-2018, 09:55 AM
I think Holder has a good list, but I would have been much more cautious in my assessment of the DL. Yes, there are a lot of seemingly capable bodies, but we don't know if there's anyone who can consistently win 1-on-1 matchups and command a double team. His take is just a little to optimistic for me.

A fifth group I would include would be WR. It will be really interesting to see what they have in Cain, Fountain, and Rogers in his 3rd year.

JAFF
07-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Maybe due to a lack of printers ink they only picked for groups? :eek:

The kickers are about the only group that seems to have it together.

HoosierinFL
07-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Maybe due to a lack of printers ink they only picked for groups? :eek:

The kickers are about the only group that seems to have it together.

Seriously - every single position group except kickers has something unknown.

O-line: how good is Nelson gonna be. what about Smith? Is Mewhort back for real? Who is really gonna nail down the RG and RT spots?
Receivers: how does it shake out after TY?
Backs: Is Mack the guy? Do we have an every down back? What about the rookies?
D-line: Is this really an improvement over last year? Was it a mistake to lose Hankins and Anderson? Will Basham show anything? How will Sheard and Simon do at DE?
LBs: does anyone feel confident we even know what the final depth chart will look like here? Do we have a competent MLB?
Secondary: Who will take the spot opposite Wilson? Will Wilson get more snaps? Is Hooker OK? Is Geathers OK?

rcubed
07-23-2018, 11:11 AM

O-line: how good is Nelson gonna be. what about Smith? Is Mewhort back for real? Who is really gonna nail down the RG and RT spots?
D-line: Is this really an improvement over last year? Was it a mistake to lose Hankins and Anderson? Will Basham show anything? How will Sheard and Simon do at DE?
LBs: does anyone feel confident we even know what the final depth chart will look like here? Do we have a competent MLB?
Secondary: Who will take the spot opposite Wilson? Will Wilson get more snaps? Is Hooker OK? Is Geathers OK?

QB: will his arm fall off?

Colt Classic
07-23-2018, 05:38 PM

All valid questions, yet some fans have the Colts as a sure-fire playoff team.

YDFL Commish
07-23-2018, 06:29 PM
All valid questions, yet some fans have the Colts as a sure-fire playoff team.

I'm not sure that anyone on this board has said anything remotely close to that. I think that most of us see this as an 8-8 team and a fringe playoff team at 10-6, if everything breaks right.

Butter
07-23-2018, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure that anyone on this board has said anything remotely close to that. I think that most of us see this as an 8-8 team and a fringe playoff team at 10-6, if everything breaks right.

There are so many questions and possibilities this team could be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. I can't find a lot of fault in anyone being pessimistic about this team, or somewhat to hopefull. This team has the potential to have a huge shift with all the changes, who knows.

JAFF
07-23-2018, 10:25 PM
There are so many questions and possibilities this team could be anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. I can't find a lot of fault in anyone being pessimistic about this team, or somewhat to hopefull. This team has the potential to have a huge shift with all the changes, who knows.

Its about staying healthy. They have another year when even 2 of the cheerleaders wind up on the IR, it will get ugly

Puck
07-23-2018, 10:47 PM

Good post EXCEPT !!!! Luck in this offense will be undefendable, non defendable, Really fucking good!!!!

Back to the Manning days right now. Outscore the MFERs you’re lining up against

Let the Defense learn and adapt

IF. again. IF the defense is mediocre. This is a SB quality team

rcubed
07-24-2018, 02:04 AM
Good post EXCEPT !!!! Luck in this offense will be undefendable, non defendable, Really fucking good!!!!

Now that's how you do optimism

Maniac
07-24-2018, 05:10 AM
Positions to watch : ALL

Maniac
07-24-2018, 05:15 AM

I don't think they are going to have Luck throwing nearly as much as he has in the past. I think they want more of a run game, not the power bullshit, but a run game to take the pressure off of Luck. It's the modern NFL, so he'll still throw a decent amount, but not 600+ attempts

sherck
07-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Week 1: vs CIN
Week 2: @ WAS
Week 3: @ PHI
Week 4: vs HOU
Week 5: @ NE
Week 6: @ NYJ
Week 7: vs BUF
Week 8: @ OAK
Week 9: Bye
Week 10: vs JAX
Week 11: vs TEN
Week 12: vs MIA
Week 13: @ JAX
Week 14: @ HOU
Week 15: vs DAL
Week 16: vs NYG
Week 17: @ TEN

Which of those games, right now, looks unwinnable?

I have two: @ PHI (Week 3) and @ NE (Week 5)

What other games do you look at and say, "we will not win that one?"

5 games at home in 2nd half of season when our young players (hopefully) are more in tune with the new offensive/defensive systems.

Am I predicting 14-2 ? Nope, we will lose more games along the line.

But, knowing where Luck is now. Knowing where the O-Line is and what they could become. Knowing of the potential at the offensive speciality positions. Knowing of the potential of some of our defensive unknowns, what other teams on that list are unbeatable?

IMO, my range of wins is from 8 wins up to 12 wins. I think we will surprise a lot of folks.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
07-24-2018, 09:36 AM

5 games at home in 2nd half of season when our young players (hopefully) are more in tune with the new offensive/defensive systems.

But, knowing where Luck is now. Knowing where the O-Line is and what they could become. Knowing of the potential at the offensive speciality positions. Knowing of the potential of some of our defensive unknowns, what other teams on that list are unbeatable?

IMO, my range of wins is from 8 wins up to 12 wins. I think we will surprise a lot of folks.

Walk Worthy,

I'm thinking 7 or 8 wins. It's going to take Luck half the season to get back to anything close to what he was. I'm expecting a slower start, but a strong finish to the year.

JAFF
07-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Walk Worthy,

They will go 2 - 4 in the conference. I doubt they will beat a playoff team other than the Titans

Luck4Reich
07-26-2018, 12:09 PM
I am excited to watch Quincy Wilson now that the jack ass is gone.