PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Dam8610
04-19-2018, 06:52 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/04/19/indianapolis-colts-2018-nfl-draft-needs-prospect-fits-andrew-luck/529383002/

There's a draft preview, why are we still using the 2017 thread?

Dam8610
04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
John Franklin-Myers is a small school sleeper I hope the Colts pick up on Day 3. Looks like he could be a good fit at DE/UT in this scheme.

Puck
04-19-2018, 08:37 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/04/19/indianapolis-colts-2018-nfl-draft-needs-prospect-fits-andrew-luck/529383002/

There's a draft preview, why are we still using the 2017 thread?

Some people don’t read the title of the thread. Start a new one for 2018

Dam8610
04-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Some people don’t read the title of the thread. Start a new one for 2018

I did. You just posted in it.

Puck
04-19-2018, 08:43 PM
I did. You just posted in it.

I’ve had a few beers my posts my be over the top for a while

I still hate Pagano. FWIW

VeveJones007
04-20-2018, 01:14 PM
John Dorsey says that "hand size" is important in his evaluation of a QB for Cleveland. Another potential sign indicating Allen may be his guy.

I'm trying to figure out what Dorsey is trying to gain right now by not stating who the pick is. Is he trying to get the Giants to tip their hand about pick #2?

VeveJones007
04-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Ballard's presser. A few interesting nuggets:

1) They considered how many premium players there were before trading back to 6. Said they assumed two QBs off the board and there were at least 4 premium players they would be happy with at 6.
2) Says they identified a few more premium players after the trade. Says there are 8 outside of the QBs.
3) Thinks the EDGE depth is good in this draft in rounds 2-4.
4) Says John Simon will be a DE in this defense (RE).
5) They got some calls about Brissett, but Ballard values the depth he provides.
6) Says Colts are open to trading up into the bottom of Rd 1.

rm1369
04-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Two big indications to me they don’t have a huge interest in Chubb, even at 6. Edmunds or Smith seem much more likely if they stay at 6.

VeveJones007
04-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Two big indications to me they don’t have a huge interest in Chubb, even at 6. Edmunds or Smith seem much more likely if they stay at 6.

Agree on the last, but don't agree that they aren't interested in Chubb. I think Ballard is assuming Chubb is gone.

Chaka
04-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Yep, agreed. Or he's creating advance cover in the event that Chubb isn't available at 6 - he can tell everyone he didn't need or want Chubb anyways. I feel like these last few weeks before the draft are such a mind game.

The other thing I read into his comments is that he'd like to trade down with Buffalo. Isn't it curious that they recently bumped up the number of the non-QB "premium" players to 8? When you add that to the 4 QBs widely thought to be picked in the first 10 picks, that means that the Colts could safely trade down as low as pick 12, which, conveniently enough, is Buffalo's first pick.

rm1369
04-20-2018, 03:34 PM
The other thing I read into his comments is that he'd like to trade down with Buffalo. Isn't it curious that they recently bumped up the number of the non-QB "premium" players to 8? When you add that to the 4 QBs widely thought to be picked in the first 10 picks, that means that the Colts could safely trade down as low as pick 12, which, conveniently enough, is Buffalo's first pick.

Agree completely. I had the exact same thought.

rcubed
04-20-2018, 03:59 PM
yep, ballard is playing the game

VeveJones007
04-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Yep, agreed. Or he's creating advance cover in the event that Chubb isn't available at 6 - he can tell everyone he didn't need or want Chubb anyways. I feel like these last few weeks before the draft are such a mind game.

Miami also falls in that range.

Ballard --> MIA: "I'm going to need 1.11, 2.11, and next year's 2nd to top Buffalo's offer."

Ballard --> BUF: "I'm going to need 1.12, 1.22, and #53 to top Miami's offer."

rm1369
04-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Can’t say I really like the idea of trading up into the bottom of the first round. Always dependent on who it’s for and what you give up I guess. But if it was a poster here suggesting it I’d certainly be against. Especially since the talent supposedly flattens out after the middle of the first round.

VeveJones007
04-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Can’t say I really like the idea of trading up into the bottom of the first round. Always dependent on who it’s for and what you give up I guess. But if it was a poster here suggesting it I’d certainly be against. Especially since the talent supposedly flattens out after the middle of the first round.

Really depends. I brought this up in another thread, but if there's a guy falling into the 20's that you really like (e.g. LVE or McGlinchey), then it's worth exploring.

The other benefit of a 1st rounder is the potential 5th year of team control. That's a big reason why I think Jackson and Rudolph will get picked late in Round 1--that 5th year of control on a developmental QB is huge.

Dam8610
04-21-2018, 02:53 AM

1) They considered how many premium players there were before trading back to 6. Said they assumed two QBs off the board and there were at least 4 premium players they would be happy with at 6.
2) Says they identified a few more premium players after the trade. Says there are 8 outside of the QBs.
5) They got some calls about Brissett, but Ballard values the depth he provides.
6) Says Colts are open to trading up into the bottom of Rd 1.

All of this sounds to me like Ballard wants to get front 7 help with his early picks. I think Edmunds is his top choice after Chubb, then Smith. I also think he's interested in Taven Bryan, LVE, Rashaan Evans, and Rasheem Green based on that last comment.

None of his comments indicate a lack of interest in Chubb. You don't not take the best defender in the draft because you like the depth at their position.

Indiana V2
04-21-2018, 08:09 AM
We have so many holes to fill, I really don't see how Ballard can screw it up with all the picks we have. Probably won't fill them all, but I'm expecting a solid draft.

Dam8610
04-22-2018, 02:32 AM
Couldn't ask for much more from Day 1 of the draft than this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-why-the-colts-could-control-the-entire-draft-bills-move-up-for-baker-mayfield/

Indiana V2
04-22-2018, 08:10 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-why-the-colts-could-control-the-entire-draft-bills-move-up-for-baker-mayfield/

I could live with that scenario.

YDFL Commish
04-22-2018, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't be happy drafting our top 2 picks based purely on projection and not on production.

VeveJones007
04-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Mayfield is going 3 unless Darnold is still on the board. Also, I would be a little surprised that CLE and DEN didn’t accept the Bills offer.

Dam8610
04-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Mayfield is going 3 unless Darnold is still on the board. Also, I would be a little surprised that CLE and DEN didn’t accept the Bills offer.

I don't care which QB is there, I care that someone wants to move up for them, the Colts get great value, and ending up with Edmunds and Davenport on Day 1 would be a huge win, certainly more than I'd expect.

VeveJones007
04-22-2018, 02:25 PM
I don't care which QB is there, I care that someone wants to move up for them, the Colts get great value, and ending up with Edmunds and Davenport on Day 1 would be a huge win, certainly more than I'd expect.

Fair. I just believe that the chance of a trade down is smaller than some seem to expect.

Racehorse
04-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Fair. I just believe that the chance of a trade down is smaller than some seem to expect.

Somebody is going to trade up, either with us or with one ahead of us.

Well, maybe

FatDT
04-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Is Davenport going to be a great player? Seems like kind of a project.

ZiaColt
04-22-2018, 06:08 PM

I don't know if I think the chance of trading down is smaller, but I suspect the return to the Colts for doing so might be somewhat smaller than what some are hoping for. IMO the Bills GM would be nuts to give up BOTH #12 and #22 just to get to #6 and (maybe) get the 4th-best QB in the draft. If anything, I'd think it might take the possibility of moving to #5, #4 or even #2 to get the Bills interested in that kind of scenario.

But that's not to say a trade down with the Bills would be impossible, or even unworthy of consideration, especially since they also have two 2nd rounders. Maybe Ballard offers #6 for #12, #53, and #56, Bills counter with an offer of #12, #56 and #65, and the two sides agree on #12, #53 and #65. Bills still get a shot at their (supposed) QB of the future, Colts end up with 7 of the first 67 picks.

With #12, Edmunds or Smith might still be there (and more justifiable IMO than up at #6) and, if not, likely another defensive player like Fitzpatrick, Ward or James would still be there.

VeveJones007
04-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Well, maybe

I’m expecting the latter. 4 QBs will go in the Top 5.

YDFL Commish
04-22-2018, 07:36 PM
I’m expecting the latter. 4 QBs will go in the Top 5.

I think it depends on which QB Cleveland takes. My instinct is that the Giants only want Darnold. If he's taken, then they will look to trade down if possible. If a deal is not worked out, I see them taking Barkley.

As for the Colts, it has to be Chubb or trade down.

Maniac
04-22-2018, 09:22 PM
I think either Cleveland or Denver trades down with Buffalo instead of us getting to do so.

I think the Colts stay put and take Roquan Smith a bit earlier than people think if Chubb is gone.

Puck
04-22-2018, 09:29 PM
Barkley and Chubb will be gone before we pick at 6. Nelson will be available and no one is going to want to trade up. We will pick at 6 or take a lot less than most think on here. If we pick at 6 and Nelson is there..... He would be the BPA

Coltsalr
04-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Is Davenport going to be a great player? Seems like kind of a project.

True, though Harold Landry also appears like he’s probably not going to be an immediate contributor either.

Bradley Chubb might be the only instant impact pass rush player in the draft.

ZiaColt
04-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Barkley and Chubb will be gone before we pick at 6. Nelson will be available and no one is going to want to trade up. We will pick at 6 or take a lot less than most think on here. If we pick at 6 and Nelson is there..... He would be the BPA

Depends on what is meant by "a lot less" IMO. Certainly I don't think (as I said above) the Colts could expect to get both of Buffalo's 1st round picks, but something like the trade I mentioned might be realistic and would be approximately "equal value" on the trade charts. And the 12th pick would still have lots of value for the Colts in this draft, especially on defense.

I think the key to this draft for them is the 2nd (and to a lesser extent 3rd) round, more than the 1st. So moving from #6 to #12 in order to get 2 more picks between #49 and #67 would be potentially attractive to me.

If Ballard keeps the pick, I don't have a major problem with that either. If he uses it to draft Nelson, so be it. Personally I'd be VERY reluctant to use the 6th overall pick, in any draft, on any offensive lineman other than a very promising left tackle, and I don't agree with those who think the addition of Nelson would dramatically improve the Colts' OL--too many other issues there IMO. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape if that does turn out to be Ballard's choice.

Same for Smith. Personally I think he'd be something of a reach at #6, given that I feel he can realistically only play one position (W) in the pros, but if he stays healthy he should be able to play that position at a very high level, especially compared to Indy's current LB corps.

And, again, in some ways I'm actually more interested in seeing who might fall to the Colts at #36, #37, #49 and #67 than in seeing what their choice is at #6. Some really talented OLs, CBs and RBs should still be there when Ballard picks in Round Two--maybe Round 3 as well.

Possibly a LB (Malik Jefferson?) will fall farther than he should on Draft Day as well. I wouldn't mind seeing what an LB combo of Smith and Jefferson might look like 2-3 years down the road.

Or an OL combo of Nelson and, maybe, O'Neill in Round Two. Possibly with some RB like Michel or R. Jones drafted in between them?

And maybe the Colts could get lucky and see a promising CB (Carlton Davis?) slide to Round 3. Stranger things have happened....especially with teams like Cleveland drafting.

Dam8610
04-22-2018, 11:23 PM

I've heard a lot of talk from Ballard about Brian Urlacher and Derrick Johnson. I think Edmunds or Smith is the pick if they don't trade down and Chubb isn't available at 6.

ZiaColt
04-22-2018, 11:51 PM
I've heard a lot of talk from Ballard about Brian Urlacher and Derrick Johnson. I think Edmunds or Smith is the pick if they don't trade down and Chubb isn't available at 6.

The analogy of Urlacher and Edmunds makes some sense, especially in terms of size and raw talent. Not as much with Smith, but I could realistically see Ballard choosing either one (or Nelson) at #6, especially if Eberflus thinks Edmunds could play either inside or outside.

Maybe the Colts do trade down on Draft Day BUT not in the 1st Round. What if someone like Mason Rudolph's there at #36 or #37 and someone like Miami or Arizona misses out on a QB in Round One? And they offer their 2nd rounder and.....?

njcoltfan
04-23-2018, 05:05 AM

Well, maybe

Don't be surprised if the Bears come calling, they are supposedly in love with Nelson. I'd take #8 and #39 to move down 2 spots.

ukcolt
04-23-2018, 05:55 AM
The way that Ballard was bigging up Sheard, Simon and Basham in is his press conference, makes me feel that Chubb won't be the selection even if he is on the board with the 6th pick. If all 3 of those guys are going to be DE's, then although you might argue with justification that they are not proven, they have their guys there already. But the LB cupboard is almost completely bare.

We have 4 picks in the first 48 selections, so that does give some flexibility in this draft as to what positions we target and in which rounds. To me the best player in this draft is Nelson, he is better than all of the QB's, Chubb and Barkley, it's just that the guard position is not considered to be hugely important. If he is available i would take him, but there are other guard options that will likely be available in the 2nd rounds that i also like and it could screw up the rest of the draft because if we want interior LB's Edmunds and Smith are the options early, but there is a bigger drop off in talent level when it comes to the 2nd round. Vander Esch might make it, but i suspect he is a guy who is going to be picked in the later part of the 1st round so you are left with no LB's that are value picks early in the 2nd round.

My ideal draft would be G Quenton Nelson, ILB Kyle Vander Esch, CB Carlton Davis, ILB Malik Jefferson in the first 2 rounds.

But i don't think that it is very realistic that Vander Esch drops to the 2nd, so would probably draft Edmunds, 1 of the guards (Wynn, Price or Hernandez), CB Davis and ILB Jefferson.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 09:25 AM
I think it depends on which QB Cleveland takes. My instinct is that the Giants only want Darnold. If he's taken, then they will look to trade down if possible. If a deal is not worked out, I see them taking Barkley.

As for the Colts, it has to be Chubb or trade down.

I think either Cleveland or Denver trades down with Buffalo instead of us getting to do so.

I think the Colts stay put and take Roquan Smith a bit earlier than people think if Chubb is gone.

Logged on to share the same thought as JC. If Chubb is there (and I think there's a reasonable chance), Ballard takes him. If not, I think he ends up staying put and taking Smith.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Don't be surprised if the Bears come calling, they are supposedly in love with Nelson. I'd take #8 and #39 to move down 2 spots.

This is an ideal scenario, but I don't think it will happen. The Bears wouldn't have another pick until the 4th round in this scenario.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 09:28 AM
The way that Ballard was bigging up Sheard, Simon and Basham in is his press conference, makes me feel that Chubb won't be the selection even if he is on the board with the 6th pick. If all 3 of those guys are going to be DE's, then although you might argue with justification that they are not proven, they have their guys there already. But the LB cupboard is almost completely bare.

We have 4 picks in the first 48 selections, so that does give some flexibility in this draft as to what positions we target and in which rounds. To me the best player in this draft is Nelson, he is better than all of the QB's, Chubb and Barkley, it's just that the guard position is not considered to be hugely important. If he is available i would take him, but there are other guard options that will likely be available in the 2nd rounds that i also like and it could screw up the rest of the draft because if we want interior LB's Edmunds and Smith are the options early, but there is a bigger drop off in talent level when it comes to the 2nd round. Vander Esch might make it, but i suspect he is a guy who is going to be picked in the later part of the 1st round so you are left with no LB's that are value picks early in the 2nd round.

My ideal draft would be G Quenton Nelson, ILB Kyle Vander Esch, CB Carlton Davis, ILB Malik Jefferson in the first 2 rounds.

But i don't think that it is very realistic that Vander Esch drops to the 2nd, so would probably draft Edmunds, 1 of the guards (Wynn, Price or Hernandez), CB Davis and ILB Jefferson.

I think this is a very reasonable scenario, though I think Smith is Ballard's guy over Edmunds.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Not sure many would agree with me, but I believe Roquan Smith would make a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Not sure many would agree with me, but I believe Roquan Smith would make a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

Literally any other player in Top 15 consideration that isn't a QB would have a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Literally any other player in Top 15 consideration that isn't a QB would have a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

I wouldn't go this far. Here are some guys considered top 15 talents that I wouldn't take over Nelson:

Fitzpatrick
James
Vea

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't go this far. Here are some guys considered top 15 talents that I wouldn't take over Nelson:

Fitzpatrick
James
Vea

I'd absolutely take Fitzpatrick or James over Nelson.

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 10:57 AM
I'd absolutely take Fitzpatrick or James over Nelson.

I see both as slot corners, which I value less than a dominant guard.

smitty46953
04-23-2018, 12:11 PM
I hope they take Nelson if for no better reason than to watch Dammy have a complete mental meltdown ....

Want to see us protect our QB and improve running game, Nelson can do that. I won't be upset with Chubb if there at six or even if they trade back and fill more spots. Just want OL addressed early ... :cool:

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 12:25 PM
I hope they take Nelson if for no better reason than to watch Dammy have a complete mental meltdown ....

Want to see us protect our QB and improve running game, Nelson can do that. I won't be upset with Chubb if there at six or even if they trade back and fill more spots. Just want OL addressed early ... :cool:

If Chubb is off the board, I wouldn't be upset with Nelson as the pick. It's absolutely defensible--just not the route I would go.

rcubed
04-23-2018, 12:53 PM
I think ballard stays at 6 unless some really crazy deal comes up.

He needs/wants a premier player and 6 is a great spot for it. The trade from 3 to 6 was excellent and we are sitting pretty.

I dont think he will take nelson at 6, I think its his highest rated D player and he takes best available OL with a 2nd round pick.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I see both as slot corners, which I value less than a dominant guard.

The best role for both is safety. I'd draft either as a safety.

OL is a much lesser need than pretty much every defensive position, and guard isn't an impact position. Pretty much any defender the Colts could get at 6 has a chance to be a difference maker. I just don't see Nelson moving the needle all that much.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 03:52 PM
I think ballard stays at 6 unless some really crazy deal comes up.

He needs/wants a premier player and 6 is a great spot for it. The trade from 3 to 6 was excellent and we are sitting pretty.

I dont think he will take nelson at 6, I think its his highest rated D player and he takes best available OL with a 2nd round pick.

Depending on how the board falls, I could see a desperate Bills team moving up for the last QB (giving the Colts 12 & 22 for 6) or the Bears moving up for Nelson (giving up 8 & 39 for 6). If I'm Ballard, those are two trades I make (though I make damn sure the Bears are drafting Nelson before trading with them because their needs are too similar to the Colts' needs), and if I'm making the second trade, I'm looking for a way back into the late 20s with that 39th overall pick, or maybe even the 37th pick. I'd like to see the Colts come away with 4 or more new defensive players that I'm confident can be starters out of this draft. There are a lot of good defenders in the top 50, hopefully Ballard brings a few of them in.

smitty46953
04-23-2018, 03:55 PM

OL is a much lesser need than pretty much every defensive position, and guard isn't an impact position. Pretty much any defender the Colts could get at 6 has a chance to be a difference maker. I just don't see Nelson moving the needle all that much.

Still want Nelson just to watch you implode if for no other reason.... LOL :cool:

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Depending on how the board falls, I could see a desperate Bills team moving up for the last QB (giving the Colts 12 & 22 for 6) or the Bears moving up for Nelson (giving up 8 & 39 for 6). If I'm Ballard, those are two trades I make (though I make damn sure the Bears are drafting Nelson before trading with them because their needs are too similar to the Colts' needs), and if I'm making the second trade, I'm looking for a way back into the late 20s with that 39th overall pick, or maybe even the 37th pick. I'd like to see the Colts come away with 4 or more new defensive players that I'm confident can be starters out of this draft. There are a lot of good defenders in the top 50, hopefully Ballard brings a few of them in.

Why would the Bears do this?

1) If you make them commit to taking Nelson, you tip that you aren't interested in taking Nelson.
2) If you tell them you're considering trading with a team moving up for a QB, they would stand pat and get Nelson at 8.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Why would the Bears do this?

1) If you make them commit to taking Nelson, you tip that you aren't interested in taking Nelson.
2) If you tell them you're considering trading with a team moving up for a QB, they would stand pat and get Nelson at 8.

1) You don't think teams figure out who the team trading up is picking? I know if they say "Edmunds" or "Smith", I'm probably less likely to do the trade than if they say "Nelson". And of course if Chubb is on the board, I wouldn't trade down.

2) I'm talking about two different scenarios. In the first scenario, at least one of the QBs is available. In the second scenario, all four QBs are taken. Obviously if a QB is there, the best offer will likely come from a QB needy team.

YDFL Commish
04-23-2018, 07:57 PM
1) You don't think teams figure out who the team trading up is picking? I know if they say "Edmunds" or "Smith", I'm probably less likely to do the trade than if they say "Nelson". And of course if Chubb is on the board, I wouldn't trade down.

2) I'm talking about two different scenarios. In the first scenario, at least one of the QBs is available. In the second scenario, all four QBs are taken. Obviously if a QB is there, the best offer will likely come from a QB needy team.

Please go back in history, and show me the last time a team traded up for a Guard, in the 1st round?

Puck
04-23-2018, 08:20 PM

I think its funny you are all about drafting for need and you would take a safety.... Maybe our most set position on the team

Puck
04-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Bill Belichick on drafting for need

http://www.theherdnow.com/video-bill-belichick-makes-the-case-against-drafting-for-need-in-brief-presser-rant/

I am 99.9999999% sure this is the same as all the GM's in the league and especially Ballard since he has said it over and over....

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Chris-Ballard-We-Want-To-Make-Sure-Were-A-Good-Drafting-Team/0a6aa630-0dc6-4fe0-8639-5a40a08055a3

Puck
04-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Ballard doesnt expect 4 QB taken before we draft. He said he would be surprised if more than 2 are taken.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/23/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-quarterback-run-2018-nfl-draft/

That would be my guess also unless someone trades with Browns or Giants.

I dont think this QB class is as great as everyone else... Mayfield has Manziel written all over him IMO

VeveJones007
04-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Ballard doesnt expect 4 QB taken before we draft. He said he would be surprised if more than 2 are taken.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/23/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-quarterback-run-2018-nfl-draft/

That would be my guess also unless someone trades with Browns or Giants.

I dont think this QB class is as great as everyone else... Mayfield has Manziel written all over him IMO

That’s a poor, lazy comp. I didn’t realize you could tell someone was an alcoholic merely by looking at them.

Mayfield is a significantly better prospect and doesn’t have anywhere near the off-field concerns.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 09:01 PM
I think its funny you are all about drafting for need and you would take a safety.... Maybe our most set position on the team

I'd rather have a safety duo that compares favorably to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry than have Kevin Zeitler at guard. One will make more of an overall impact on the team.

Puck
04-23-2018, 09:01 PM
That’s a poor, lazy comp. I didn’t realize you could tell someone was an alcoholic merely by looking at them.

Mayfield is a significantly better prospect and doesn’t have anywhere near the off-field concerns.

I didn't say anything about being an alcoholic....

Maybe I should have said Ryan Leaf ......

https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/video/1217403971834

Puck
04-23-2018, 09:04 PM
I'd rather have a safety duo that compares favorably to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry than have Kevin Zeitler at guard. One will make more of an overall impact on the team.

You still dont understand that the ONE thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will make the biggest impact is Luck being on the field and not getting sacked hit and injured yr after yr,

We can win without Chubb or the best safety duo in the NFL or the best MLB... we aren't winning without Luck

rcubed
04-23-2018, 09:07 PM
Bears are not trading up two spots to get a guard

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 09:16 PM
You still dont understand that the ONE thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will make the biggest impact is Luck being on the field and not getting sacked hit and injured yr after yr,

We can win without Chubb or the best safety duo in the NFL or the best MLB... we aren't winning without Luck

I guess I just have more confidence in the coaching staff's offensive design than you do. If Reich can't design an offense that doesn't need 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick (or possibly two) along the OL to be effective at getting the ball out quickly and protecting Luck, both of which are among Reich's stated goals, the Colts are going to have problems going forward no matter who is picked at 6 overall (or possibly later). Meanwhile, the Colts have probably the worst defensive talent in the league, and desperately need to improve their talent there. 4 top 50 picks would do just that.

Dam8610
04-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Bears are not trading up two spots to get a guard

As long as they wouldn't be taking the player I wanted to draft, I'd make the trade provided Chubb is off the board. But that poses the question: if Nelson isn't worth trading up for, why is he worth drafting at 6?

rcubed
04-23-2018, 11:49 PM
As long as they wouldn't be taking the player I wanted to draft, I'd make the trade provided Chubb is off the board. But that poses the question: if Nelson isn't worth trading up for, why is he worth drafting at 6?
He's not imo. I don't think Chi gives up picks to move up two spots for him. Wait and see if he falls to 8.

If Ballard were to take nelson at 6 I hope he solidifies an OL spot for a decade. But I would rather he take a difference maker on D.

ZiaColt
04-23-2018, 11:53 PM
If Chubb is off the board, I wouldn't be upset with Nelson as the pick. It's absolutely defensible--just not the route I would go.

that's sorta where I am too; if Chubb's gone I could live with Nelson (or maybe Smith or Edmunds, for that matter) at 6. Even Barkley, if he somehow dropped that far, although I fear he might struggle behind the Colts OL.

I still feel some may be over-valuing the 6th position (and some of the QBs) in this draft. I expect the most Ballard might be able to get for it would be something like what I mentioned earlier--#12, #53 or #56, and maybe #65.

Not that those picks would make it a "bad" trade for Indy--I'd definitely give it consideration if I were Ballard. I think a lot of scouts feel that this year's 2nd round compares more favorably to previous 2nd rounds than this year's 1st round compares to previous 1st rounds.

So there should still be quality OLs, RBs and CBs in Round Two, maybe even Round Three. Which is why I wouldn't be upset if Ballard did make a trade like the one above with Buffalo--still get a core player at #12, and overall have 7 of the first 67 picks.

Puck
04-24-2018, 07:50 AM
I guess I just have more confidence in the coaching staff's offensive design than you do. If Reich can't design an offense that doesn't need 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick (or possibly two) along the OL to be effective at getting the ball out quickly and protecting Luck, both of which are among Reich's stated goals, the Colts are going to have problems going forward no matter who is picked at 6 overall (or possibly later). Meanwhile, the Colts have probably the worst defensive talent in the league, and desperately need to improve their talent there. 4 top 50 picks would do just that.

You were also confident in Pagshit too... so no one is taking much value in this line of thought.

Although you are right no one can be as dumb as Pagano/Chud were

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
I didn't say anything about being an alcoholic....

Maybe I should have said Ryan Leaf ......

https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/video/1217403971834

Once again, you compared Mayfield to someone with drug and alcohol abuse problems.

When you paint with a broad brush, there's collateral damage. Thus, avoid over-generalizations when trying to evaluate any situation.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Shefty says that Mayfield is still in consideration for the Browns at #1.

Just to add a bit more murkiness to top of draft: one NFL executive said this morning that Baker Mayfield is “definitely” in Cleveland’s conversation to become the No. 1 overall pick.

FatDT
04-24-2018, 09:34 AM
No way the Browns don't know who they're picking. Just more BS.

Puck
04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Once again, you compared Mayfield to someone with drug and alcohol abuse problems.

When you paint with a broad brush, there's collateral damage. Thus, avoid over-generalizations when trying to evaluate any situation.

I guess you didnt listen to Leaf... HE COMPARED him to himself

rm1369
04-24-2018, 09:44 AM

My only issue with this is that if Ballard agrees with that (and he should) then why the hell would you not spend any of the huge amounts of cap space they had available to protect Luck? It’s either vitally important or it’s not. Up till this point, thru 2 free agent periods and 1 draft, Ballard has said its not that important. Using a #6 pick on a guard just compounds the stupidity.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
I guess you didnt listen to Leaf... HE COMPARED him to himself

I heard it last week and it was bullshit last week, too. Leaf comparing himself to Mayfield is just as wrong as you comparing them.

Let's try this another way. Please list the similarities and the differences. Show your work.

Dam8610
04-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Honestly the QB Mayfield compares best to for me is Russell Wilson. I'd want to watch a little more film on him before definitively making that comparison, but both are short for the position, both use their legs and speed to extend plays, and both had/have character questions coming out.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Honestly the QB Mayfield compares best to for me is Russell Wilson. I'd want to watch a little more film on him before definitively making that comparison, but both are short for the position, both use their legs and speed to extend plays, and both had/have character questions coming out.

Comp I heard recently that I really liked was Jeff Garcia, but Wilson is another good one. Not sure Mayfield has quite the same top-end arm strength as Wilson, which is why I prefer Garcia.

njcoltfan
04-24-2018, 11:32 AM
that's sorta where I am too; if Chubb's gone I could live with Nelson (or maybe Smith or Edmunds, for that matter) at 6. Even Barkley, if he somehow dropped that far, although I fear he might struggle behind the Colts OL.

I still feel some may be over-valuing the 6th position (and some of the QBs) in this draft. I expect the most Ballard might be able to get for it would be something like what I mentioned earlier--#12, #53 or #56, and maybe #65.

Not that those picks would make it a "bad" trade for Indy--I'd definitely give it consideration if I were Ballard. I think a lot of scouts feel that this year's 2nd round compares more favorably to previous 2nd rounds than this year's 1st round compares to previous 1st rounds.

So there should still be quality OLs, RBs and CBs in Round Two, maybe even Round Three. Which is why I wouldn't be upset if Ballard did make a trade like the one above with Buffalo--still get a core player at #12, and overall have 7 of the first 67 picks.

I would’nt start a conversation with the Bills if #12 AND #22 are not in play!!!

ukcolt
04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
An offensive line with 2 first round picks and 1 second rounder...yeah, that is fine, but the 2nd rounder has had big issues staying healthy, and one of the 1st rounders has also struggled a little with health, the other 2 spots have been in a constant state of flux for the last 3 or 4 years and something needs to be done to address it.

Dam you say you have more faith in the new coaches, Philbin was renowned as being a really good offensive line coach in his prior stints. I am not so convinced that a new OL coach is suddenly going to make them a huge amount better. They may improve from one year to another due to the additional year of experience, but i don't want to bet everything that that is going to happen, and would want to put some serious draft capital into the OL this year.

ukcolt
04-24-2018, 11:37 AM
The defense needs an infusion of talent as well not denying that, but can't just go all defense. The DL generally isn't too bad, and the safety position looks to be in reasonably stable condition. We do need CB depth/starter and several LB's though, but the OL is at least on a par with the CB position in terms of need.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 11:44 AM
@HolderStephen
Listening to Ryan Kelly, there's definitely going to be a lot of zone blocking in the Colts' new offensive scheme.

This factors in to possible OL fits in the draft.

A guy like Brian O'Neill from Pitt could be a good OT option late 2/3.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
I would’nt start a conversation with the Bills if #12 AND #22 are not in play!!!

I agree with this, but Ballard might not. As an example, there are going to be a lot of OL options in rounds 2-3, so he might prefer getting an extra 1-2 players.

Though, you could always look to trade back from #22 if you don't like the board at that point. #22 could be a hot commodity for teams trying to move in front of the Patriots for one of the QBs.

Maniac
04-24-2018, 11:55 AM
This factors in to possible OL fits in the draft.

This is a list from sportsline for zone blocking rankings for interior OL:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-anchoring-run-game-scheme-fits-and-everything-to-know-about-interior-ols/

Zone Scheme

1. Daniels
2. Wynn
3. Price
4. Nelson
5. Ragnow
6. Hernandez

and OT's :

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-pass-protection-run-game-scheme-fits-and-everything-to-know-about-ots/

Zone Scheme

1. Crosby
2. Miller
3. Williams
4. McGlinchey
5. Okorafor
6. Brown

smitty46953
04-24-2018, 11:57 AM
With our current OL regardless of where drafted, a couple of these positions Guard, Right Tackle and even Center when Kelly is sidelined are just turds in the punch bowl. Doesn't matter the scheme or who is coaching them. No matter how much you polish a turd it is still a turd...:cool:

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 11:59 AM
With our current OL regardless of where drafted, a couple of these positions Guard, Right Tackle and even Center when Kelly is sidelined are just turds in the punch bowl. Doesn't matter the scheme or who is coaching them. No matter how much you polish a turd it is still a turd...:cool:

Unfortunately you could say the same thing about most positions on the roster.

njcoltfan
04-24-2018, 12:59 PM
I agree with this, but Ballard might not. As an example, there are going to be a lot of OL options in rounds 2-3, so he might prefer getting an extra 1-2 players.

Though, you could always look to trade back from #22 if you don't like the board at that point. #22 could be a hot commodity for teams trying to move in front of the Patriots for one of the QBs.

My ideal draft would be getting Chubb at #6, but if he is off the board then trading #6 to Buffalo for #12 and #22 and drafting any two of Landry, Davenport, Wynn,or Hernandez.

Dam8610
04-24-2018, 01:08 PM

You can get the ball out quickly by design. That's a lot of what the Eagles offense has done the past few years. That's what I expect Reich will do. It makes Nelson entirely unnecessary, a luxury pick, and a bad one at that. This team needs a defense if it's going to get anywhere, adding to the OL instead of taking an impact defender makes no sense.

sherck
04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
This is a list from sportsline for zone blocking rankings for interior OL:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-anchoring-run-game-scheme-fits-and-everything-to-know-about-interior-ols/

and OT's :

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-pass-protection-run-game-scheme-fits-and-everything-to-know-about-ots/
Heh....Crosby and Daniels are the 2 guys that I wanted us to target even before seeing this list.

Crosby should be able to be gotten with one of our 2nd round picks and Daniels should be available at the top of the 3rd round.

If we could come out of the draft with Edmunds/Smith in the 1st, Crosby, CB, LB/DE in the 2nd round and Daniels in the 3rd round I would consider that a heck of a draft.

4 guys for the O-Line/Front 7 and a CB2 to pair with Wilson. That would be amazing.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Heh....Crosby and Daniels are the 2 guys that I wanted us to target even before seeing this list.

Crosby should be able to be gotten with one of our 2nd round picks and Daniels should be available at the top of the 3rd round.

If we could come out of the draft with Edmunds/Smith in the 1st, Crosby, CB, LB/DE in the 2nd round and Daniels in the 3rd round I would consider that a heck of a draft.

4 guys for the O-Line/Front 7 and a CB2 to pair with Wilson. That would be amazing.

Walk Worthy,

I wouldn't be surprised if Daniels makes it into Rd 1. He's definitely going before Rd 3 at the very least.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 04:02 PM

and I suspect the Bills GM feels the same way in reverse: he wouldn't entertain a conversation where both picks ARE in play, unless it's with the Giants or maybe the Browns, to get past #6 to the greater value at #4 or #2.

if Beane WERE willing to trade both picks for #6, IMO 1) he's incompetent and 2) if I'm Ballard I make that trade in a nanosecond unless Chubb's still there

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 04:08 PM
and I suspect the Bills GM feels the same way in reverse: he wouldn't entertain a conversation where both picks ARE in play, unless it's with the Giants or maybe the Browns, to get past #6 to the greater value at #4 or #2.

if Beane WERE willing to trade both picks for #6, IMO 1) he's incompetent and 2) if I'm Ballard I make that trade in a nanosecond unless Chubb's still there

Ballard:

"I have Miami and Arizona offering their 1 and 2, plus additional picks. It's going to take at least 12 and 22 for me to get this done."

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 04:10 PM
@AdamSchefter

One GM estimated today that there is a “50 percent chance” that four QBs will go in first five picks Thursday night. Would be a big help to top 10 teams not in QB market.

That's how I've felt for a couple weeks. And if that includes Barkley at 2, then that leaves Chubb at 6.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Ballard:

"I have Miami and Arizona offering their 1 and 2, plus additional picks. It's going to take at least 12 and 22 for me to get this done."

that tells us Ballard's side of it, but not Beane's.

I respect McShay's evaluation of QBs (especially since he was a starting QB in college) and he feels only 2 of the "4 QB's" everyone mentions are deserving of being drafted in the top 10 of this draft. That's not to say they won't be drafted in the top 10, they likely will. And Jackson later in Round One, and Rudolph may even move up into Round One, near the end. IMO the current NFL rules cause teams to over-value QBs in general.

But speaking personally, if I'm Buffalo's GM, I'm not valuing #6 in this draft enough to give up #12 and #22 for it, especially if there's any shot at #4 or #2.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 04:19 PM
that tells us Ballard's side of it, but not Beane's.

I respect McShay's evaluation of QBs (especially since he was a starting QB in college) and he feels only 2 of the "4 QB's" everyone mentions are deserving of being drafted in the top 10 of this draft. That's not to say they won't be drafted in the top 10, they likely will. And Jackson later in Round One, and Rudolph may even move up into Round One, near the end. IMO the current NFL rules cause teams to over-value QBs in general.

But speaking personally, if I'm Buffalo's GM, I'm not valuing #6 in this draft enough to give up #12 and #22 for it, especially if there's any shot at #4 or #2.

Agreed here. I think Buffalo and Cleveland work out a deal for #4.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Tony Pauline has a source saying the 49ers like Edmunds.

In that recent mock, I have the San Francisco 49ers trading down with the Buffalo Bills and selecting Leighton Vander Esch. This won’t be the case if Tremaine Edmunds is available when the Niners are called to the clock, as he is the player the team covets.

Chromeburn
04-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Tony Pauline has a source saying the 49ers like Edmunds.

I doubt we get either Edmunds or Smith at 12. I’m guessing McIchy or Davenport at 12.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 09:22 PM
I doubt we get either Edmunds or Smith at 12. I’m guessing McIchy or Davenport at 12.

I think if Ballard trades down for #12, it would be with the expectation that Smith and Edmunds will both be gone, and he'll be looking at someone like Ward, Fitzpatrick or James.

And, hopefully, additional 2nd-round picks (unless he can somehow talk Beane into #22 as well as #12).

Dam8610
04-24-2018, 09:26 PM
I think if Ballard trades down for #12, it would be with the expectation that Smith and Edmunds will both be gone, and he'll be looking at someone like Ward, Fitzpatrick or James.

And, hopefully, additional 2nd-round picks (unless he can somehow talk Beane into #22 as well as #12).

If it's 12 and 22, I'd expect Fitzpatrick and LVE.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 09:34 PM
If it's 12 and 22, I'd expect Fitzpatrick and LVE.

some scouts apparently feel that, although Fitzpatrick had a better overall college career, James will be a better pro, FWIW. And if Ward truly is the best cover corner in the draft, I'd be mildly surprised to see him still there at #12, but I guess it could happen.

supposedly the Cowboys like LVE at #19, but they'll also be under pressure from their fan base to "replace Dez" in the first round and might pick Ridley if he's there at #19.

if Malik Jefferson slides all the way to #49, I might be tempted to take him too.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 09:56 PM
some scouts apparently feel that, although Fitzpatrick had a better overall college career, James will be a better pro, FWIW. And if Ward truly is the best cover corner in the draft, I'd be mildly surprised to see him still there at #12, but I guess it could happen.

supposedly the Cowboys like LVE at #19, but they'll also be under pressure from their fan base to "replace Dez" in the first round and might pick Ridley if he's there at #19.

if Malik Jefferson slides all the way to #49, I might be tempted to take him too.

I like Jefferson a lot as a Rd2 target, especially if they don’t go LB in Rd1.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 09:57 PM

I would be pretty disappointed if they come out of Rd1 with a secondary player. The LBs are better prospects, IMO.

Another reason why I think Ballard stays at 6.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 10:01 PM
Per Matt Miller:

Derwin James top 10. Frank Ragnow Round 1. Maurice Hurst day 3. That's all the latest buzz from the draft world.

Maurice Hurst falling would be interesting. Could be a good fit in the 4-3.

If Ragnow and Price go Rd1, maybe Daniels or Hernandez makes it to them in Rd2.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 10:12 PM
I like Jefferson a lot as a Rd2 target, especially if they don’t go LB in Rd1.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why Jefferson appears to be sliding so much. I can understand it happening with some other potentially problematic guys like Jefferson's teammate Hill, or Key (LSU), but not so much with Jefferson.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 10:20 PM
I would be pretty disappointed if they come out of Rd1 with a secondary player. The LBs are better prospects, IMO.

Another reason why I think Ballard stays at 6.

For all I know, Ballard may have Smith and Edmunds almost as highly rated as Chubb, and be happy with any of them at #6.

If it is Smith, I just hope he's 100% healed and healthy. And assuming he is, then I don't think either of them will likely be there at #12 (unless there's another trade somewhere around #7-to-#11, and if there is I'd expect that might happen AFTER the Colts picked at #6).

Dam8610
04-24-2018, 10:46 PM
For all I know, Ballard may have Smith and Edmunds almost as highly rated as Chubb, and be happy with any of them at #6.

If it is Smith, I just hope he's 100% healed and healthy. And assuming he is, then I don't think either of them will likely be there at #12 (unless there's another trade somewhere around #7-to-#11, and if there is I'd expect that might happen AFTER the Colts picked at #6).

I would think Ballard probably has Edmunds rated right behind Chubb, especially the way he's talking about LBs lately.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 10:51 PM
I'm a bit perplexed as to why Jefferson appears to be sliding so much. I can understand it happening with some other potentially problematic guys like Jefferson's teammate Hill, or Key (LSU), but not so much with Jefferson.

Not sure he’s really sliding. He’s a very athletic prospect who didn’t produce up to his potential in college and is clearly behind the likes of Smith, Edmunds, Evans, and LVE.

VeveJones007
04-24-2018, 10:53 PM
I would think Ballard probably has Edmunds rated right behind Chubb, especially the way he's talking about LBs lately.

FWIW, Eric Edholm says the Colts love Smith. Possible there’s a Ballard-Edholm connection from Ballard’s Chicago days.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 10:53 PM

If Chubb doesn't slide to #6, I could probably be OK with either Edmunds or Smith (if medically cleared).

I'm actually in some ways more interested to see who's still available at #36, #37 and #49. I'm expecting some promising OLs, RBs, and CBs to be around then. Maybe some LBs and WRs too.

ZiaColt
04-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Not sure he’s really sliding. He’s a very athletic prospect who didn’t produce up to his potential in college and is clearly behind the likes of Smith, Edmunds, Evans, and LVE.

IIRC, he was the #1-rated LB prospect coming out of high school. Couple of friends of mine who are UT grads/fans insist Jefferson was "misused" in their defense.

Think Eberflus could probably fix that if the Colts were to draft him.

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Some interesting nuggets in today's Stick to Football podcast from Bleacher Report:

1) At least 5 teams have LVE off their board due to health concerns, but Matt Miller knows of teams picking in the top 10 who cleared him.
2) Teams are concerned with Josh Sweat's knee, thinking it will shorten his career. Some teams will view him as a 5 year player and will be okay with selecting him in rounds 2 or 3.
3) Taven Bryan is seen as a highly probable pick for the Falcons. I could see him as a potential Ballard target if he moved back up into late Rd1.
4) Thinks the Jets are going to pick Rosen and Browns will pick Chubb at 4.
5) Thinks Edmunds will go to 49ers at 9.
6) Hears that Vea will go top 15, probably to MIA or WAS.
7) Hears there are major concerns with Hurst's medicals (heart) and thinks he will go Day 3.
8) Only sees 7 blue chip players in this draft and about 15-20 1st round grades. But Miller has 50 or so 2nd round grades on players. Thinks some really good players will fall to 2nd round due to 5 or 6 QBs going Rd1.

sherck
04-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Now that Ballard has confirmed that John Simon is a DE in the new scheme, we have ZERO viable starting calibre LBs on the roster.

4th year player / 01 NFL games started / 37 NFL games played in / 5th round draft pick / Jeremiah George
3rd year player / 19 NFL games started / 31 NFL games played in / 4th round draft pick / Antonio Morrison
2nd year player / 00 NFL games started / 06 NFL games played in / Undrafted into NFL../ Darnell Sankey
2nd year player / 02 NFL games started / 10 NFL games played in / 5th round draft pick / Anthony Walker Jr
2nd year player / 00 NFL games started / 11 NFL games played in / Undrafted into NFL../ Jermaine Grace

I know that 40 yard dash times are not football; however with Ballard beating the drum of getting "faster" on defense:

40 times from Combine or Pro Day of current LBs:

4.55 = Darnell Sankey
4.57 = Jermaine Grace
4.65 = Anthony Walker Jr
4.91 = Jeremiah George
5.16 = Antonio Morrison

Our two guys with 2 or 3 years NFL experience are also our slowest LBs. They were also brought in by Grigson and all the newer guys brought in last year by Ballard are much faster.

40 times from Combine or Pro Day of draftee LBs:

4.38 = Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida * (WSLB)
4.51 = Roquan Smith, Georgia * (MLB)
4.52 = Malik Jefferson, Texas * (WSLB)
4.53 = Jerone Baker, Ohio State
4.54 = Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech * (MLB)
4.59 = Genard Avery, Memphis
4.59 = Oren Burks, Vanderbilt
4.61 = Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson
4.63 = Andre Smith, North Carolina
4.64 = Fred Warner, BYU
4.65 = Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State * (WSLB)
4.66 = Micah Kiser, Virginia

==== Speed Break ? ====

4.70 = Darius Leonard, South Carolina
4.75 = Rashaan Evans, Alabama (Did not run at Combine or Pro Day. This numbers is from an Alabama football fan website from "team" numbers" from the 2017 season. His 2016 time was 4.65 and his 2015 time was 4.60)
4.75 = Christian Sam, Arizona State
4.76 = Mike McCray, Michigan
4.77 = Tegray Scales, Indiana
4.82 = Josey Jewell, Iowa

* = Guys I like as probably starters on a Colts 4-3 defense in 2018.

My guess is that we will get a max of two LBs drafted and then either have to produce a SSLB from our internal guys or potential veteran free agents still on the market like Kevin Minter or Gerald Hodges.

I really think that we need to come out of this draft with two LBs picked in the first 3 rounds of the draft. We really have no one on the roster currently who inspires confidence at the positions.

Walk Worthy,

rm1369
04-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Barring a trade back I really expect the pick at 6 to be either Smith or Edmunds. I think that may be the case even if Chubb is still available. Personally I think I’d slightly prefer Edmunds. Maybe it’s having watched the Dungy lead defense get ran all over time and time again, but Smiths size concerns me. Even with me knowing how great he is in coverage and how important that is in the modern NFL I just can’t shake it. Maybe it’s like a sports induced PTSD

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Barring a trade back I really expect the pick at 6 to be either Smith or Edmunds. I think that may be the case even if Chubb is still available. Personally I think I’d slightly prefer Edmunds. Maybe it’s having watched the Dungy lead defense get ran all over time and time again, but Smiths size concerns me. Even with me knowing how great he is in coverage and how important that is in the modern NFL I just can’t shake it. Maybe it’s like a sports induced PTSD

Think Thomas Davis, Deion Jones, and Bobby Wagner. Those guys are studs who are "undersized" LBs.

Really, it's the speed and instincts that set Smith apart. Yes, he could get blocked, but not if he beats you to the spot.

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Now that Ballard has confirmed that John Simon is a DE in the new scheme, we have ZERO viable starting calibre LBs on the roster.

4th year player / 01 NFL games started / 37 NFL games played in / 5th round draft pick / Jeremiah George
3rd year player / 19 NFL games started / 31 NFL games played in / 4th round draft pick / Antonio Morrison
2nd year player / 00 NFL games started / 06 NFL games played in / Undrafted into NFL../ Darnell Sankey
2nd year player / 02 NFL games started / 10 NFL games played in / 5th round draft pick / Anthony Walker Jr
2nd year player / 00 NFL games started / 11 NFL games played in / Undrafted into NFL../ Jermaine Grace

I know that 40 yard dash times are not football; however with Ballard beating the drum of getting "faster" on defense:

4.55 = Darnell Sankey
4.57 = Jermaine Grace
4.65 = Anthony Walker Jr
4.91 = Jeremiah George
5.16 = Antonio Morrison

Our two guys with 2 or 3 years NFL experience are also our slowest LBs. They were also brought in by Grigson and all the newer guys brought in last year by Ballard are much faster.

4.64 = Fred Warner, BYU

==== Speed Break ? ====

4.75 = Rashaan Evans, Alabama (Did not run at Combine or Pro Day. This numbers is from an Alabama football fan website from "team" numbers" from the 2017 season. His 2016 time was 4.65 and his 2015 time was 4.60)

My guess is that we will get a max of two LBs drafted and then either have to produce a SSLB from our internal guys or potential veteran free agents still on the market like Kevin Minter or Gerald Hodges.

I really think that we need to come out of this draft with two LBs picked in the first 3 rounds of the draft. We really have no one on the roster currently who inspires confidence at the positions.

Walk Worthy,

Teams play nickel 50% of the time, so 3rd LB isn't nearly as important as having a good MLB and WLB. Agree that it would be nice to come out with two good options, but it'll depend on the board. So many other holes to fill as well.

And Shaq Griffin is not a LB in a 4-3. You can't put a guy there with one hand.

Dam8610
04-25-2018, 10:36 AM

4.55 = Darnell Sankey
4.57 = Jermaine Grace
4.65 = Anthony Walker Jr
4.91 = Jeremiah George
5.16 = Antonio Morrison

4.64 = Fred Warner, BYU

==== Speed Break ? ====

Walk Worthy,

Vander Esch is more likely a MLB here, could even play SLB if needed. I'd like to see two of the first four picks go to LBs (the other two going to DL would be my preference), then hopefully another LB later in the draft. I hope all of Days 1 and 2 go to defense.

Also, you forgot Najee Goode in your analysis of LBs currently on the roster.

rm1369
04-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Think Thomas Davis, Deion Jones, and Bobby Wagner. Those guys are studs who are "undersized" LBs.

Really, it's the speed and instincts that set Smith apart. Yes, he could get blocked, but not if he beats you to the spot.

I’m not at all against Smith at 6, I just personally lean towards Edmunds due to that fear and Edmunds pontential.

HoosierinFL
04-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Teams play nickel 50% of the time, so 3rd LB isn't nearly as important as having a good MLB and WLB. Agree that it would be nice to come out with two good options, but it'll depend on the board. So many other holes to fill as well.

And Shaq Griffin is not a LB in a 4-3. You can't put a guy there with one hand.

Well where do you play him if not at WLB? OLB in a 3-4?
But really, the whole story with him is that the hand isn't a limiting factor. But how NFL GM's feel about it remains to be seen.

rcubed
04-25-2018, 11:50 AM
But really, the whole story with him is that the hand isn't a limiting factor. But how NFL GM's feel about it remains to be seen.
seen the tape and heard the stories. still makes me nervous as hell sending out a guy with one hand, especially using a high pick on him.

rm1369
04-25-2018, 12:13 PM
seen the tape and heard the stories. still makes me nervous as hell sending out a guy with one hand, especially using a high pick on him.

At what point would he be worth the risk? Guy has some physical talents to go along with the limitation.

testcase448
04-25-2018, 01:05 PM

We brought in a free agent Tight End with NO hands:confused:

rcubed
04-25-2018, 01:14 PM
At what point would he be worth the risk? Guy has some physical talents to go along with the limitation.
not sure.

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 01:24 PM

Surprised this is even a question. He's obviously a situational pass rusher in passing situations. Do you really want him to try and wrap up a TE or RB with a head of steam in the open field?

You have to be comfortable with him on ST to warrant a spot on the roster. I'm not sure he will.

Dam8610
04-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Surprised this is even a question. He's obviously a situational pass rusher in passing situations. Do you really want him to try and wrap up a TE or RB with a head of steam in the open field?

You have to be comfortable with him on ST to warrant a spot on the roster. I'm not sure he will.

I think a creative DC could/would use Griffin to avoid having to make subs to go from 4-3 base to nickle base. He reminds me a lot of Adalius Thomas with the Ravens, and I think a smart, creative DC would use him that way.

HoosierinFL
04-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Right, so some say he could be worth a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick if he had 2 hands. His speed, leadership, and football IQ all support that. So I understand he drops because of the hand - rounds 3-4 seem the popular opinion in most mocks.
But the question is what is his position - VeveJones said you can't play him at WLB, but really that seems to be his ideal spot because he is probably not big enough to play OLB in 3-4 defenses. But his tape says he can tackle in the open field and that's what you want from the WLB.

HoosierinFL
04-25-2018, 01:57 PM

If he can't tackle, you don't draft him. His tape says he can tackle.

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 02:04 PM
If he can't tackle, you don't draft him. His tape says he can tackle.

Sorry, but his tape doesn't tell you he can tackle Derrick Henry with a head of steam. In the NFL, he is going to have to make plays in the backfield. It's his only chance.

It's a matter of weight ratios. A five pound bird can't carry a ten point coconut.

rm1369
04-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Sorry, but his tape doesn't tell you he can tackle Derrick Henry with a head of steam. In the NFL, he is going to have to make plays in the backfield. It's his only chance.

It's a matter of weight ratios. A five pound bird can't carry a ten point coconut.

I’m not sure it’s quite as big an issue as you make it out to be. Or, more accurately, I’m not as certain as you seem to be that it will be an issue. Although I agree it could be and I’d need to see him overcome it at the NFL level to believe he can be a full time player you can depend on every snap. To me that keeps him out of consideration until round 4. With his upside and intangibles I’d happily grab him in round 4, but I doubt he’ll be there. Someone is going to take a chance on him. There is way to much to like for them not to.

Colt Classic
04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

4.64 = Fred Warner, BYU

==== Speed Break ? ====

Walk Worthy,

Venturi was on Dakich's show today and in his analysis of Roquan Smith he seemed to project Smith as WILL that could play MIKE in a pinch.

VeveJones007
04-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Venturi was on Dakich's show today and in his analysis of Roquan Smith he seemed to project Smith as WILL that could play MIKE in a pinch.

Doesn’t understand the modern NFL if that’s his assessment. Look at Bobby Wagner. Look at Deion Jones.

YDFL Commish
04-25-2018, 08:12 PM
I would draft Shaquem, as a 4-3 WILL in 3rd round, but no earlier.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Schefter says there’s a growing belief around the league that the Browns are going to take Mayfield #1.

NFL Network has a report saying Barkley is the pick at 2.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Per Matt Miller:

Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have already traded back once and won't be afraid to do it again if NC State edge-rusher Bradley Chubb is off the board. I've heard consistently from scouts that they like Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith, but they might be able to slide back, let a team come up for a quarterback and still get him or another blue-chip player.

Eric Edholm also has said the Colts love Smith.

Colt Classic
04-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Doesn’t understand the modern NFL if that’s his assessment. Look at Bobby Wagner. Look at Deion Jones.

Ah Bobby Wagner explains it all. In the same segment he mentioned how much he despises the move to Seattle style defenses with one safety over top and leaving corners out on an island (If that summary is wrong, that's me not recalling how he described it--his complaint made sense at the time regardless of whether or not it's valid). So yeah, he was probably thinking how he would do things.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Ah Bobby Wagner explains it all. In the same segment he mentioned how much he despises the move to Seattle style defenses with one safety over top and leaving corners out on an island. So yeah, he was probably thinking how he would do things.

I've never heard anyone describe a Cover-3 as "leaving corners out on an island." WTH is he talking about?

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
@nfldraftscout

10am "What I'm Hearing" update:

1 Baker
2 Saquon
3 Darnold

Bills want Allen (and if we're placing bets on who leaked the Allen tweets from high school, I'm going with them), so they'll be looking to move up to get him. If the Browns are really interested in moving back, we could see:

4-Allen
5-QB (trade) or Nelson
6-Chubb (or trade)

I have a good feeling about tonight.

Colt Classic
04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
I've never heard anyone describe a Cover-3 as "leaving corners out on an island." WTH is he talking about?

You'd have to listen to the segment. It usually goes over my head especially if I'm trying to recall what was said from several hours ago. Like I said, I'm just paraphrasing. Dakich doesn't (and really no one on local radio) know enough football X's & O's to ever call Venturi out on something like that so who knows what he really means.

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/coach-venturi-every-guy-quarterback-has-flaw-could-be-fatal

There's the show link to his segment.

The quote is around 24 to 25 minutes in.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Per Greg Gabriel:

As of yesterday morning, I was told the (Browns) coaching staff and some of Dorsey’s top lieutenants did not know who the pick would be. They were supposedly informed yesterday afternoon.

I’m also told that the scouting staff was under the assumption that the pick would be Mayfield but they weren’t sure because they hadn’t yet been definitively told.

The hot player right now in the top 10 is Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith. He could come off the board as early as four and no later than eight. It is Smith — not Tremaine Edmunds — who is considered by almost all as the top linebacker in this draft.

I’ve been told that San Francisco (No. 9 overall) wants Smith but won’t be able to get him unless the Niners trade up. Their fall-back guy is said to be Notre Dame offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 11:43 AM
If Chubb, Smith, and Edmunds are all there at 6, I wonder if the Bears might be willing to come up for Chubb.

Indiana V2
04-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Getting anxious for the draft to start, hope things fall our way where we can gain some more picks, but not miss out on top tier talent doing so.

HoosierinFL
04-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Well it does require the CBs to cover the deep zones on each side of the field, but it also helps when you have a rangy ball-hawking FS (i.e., Malik Hooker) who can assist the CBs when the ball is thrown to the deep corners.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Well it does require the CBs to cover the deep zones on each side of the field, but it also helps when you have a rangy ball-hawking FS (i.e., Malik Hooker) who can assist the CBs when the ball is thrown to the deep corners.

Yeah, I've just never heard of corners in zone coverage described as "being on an island." That usually refers to man coverage without safety help over the top.

It also seems to be a perfect fit for the Colts current safeties. Hooker can play the middle of the field and Geathers can come into the box. They really need rangy LBs who can cover crossing routes, which is why I think Smith is the pick if Chubb isn't there.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 01:16 PM
McShay and Josina Anderson disagree on #1. Tonight is going to be amazing theatre.

@McShay13
Everyone seems convinced it’s Baker to Cleveland. I’m sticking with Darnold. We’ll see in a few hours!

@JosinaAnderson
It's my feeling, barring any unexpected new info or proposals surfacing & based off multiple conversations I've had on & off the record up through the crack of dawn this am, that the #Browns have settled on Okla QB Baker Mayfield for the #1 pick in the #NFL Draft tonight at 8pm.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Interesting notes from Tony Pauline on LVE:

* There continues to be misinformation floating around about Leighton Vander Esch with recent news the linebacker failed medical exams and was removed from draft boards. The information passed on to me from a general manager this morning is 27 teams gave Vander Esch a passing grade on his medicals, 5 teams flagged him while no team flunked him. Flagging means a team will move a player down 10 to 20 slots on a draft board due to a red flag, in this case Vander Esch’s neck. Flunking means the team has removed the player from their board. The information passed to me states no team flunked Vander Esch for medicals or any other reason.

* More important for the Boise State linebacker is the leaking of information from the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers. Both teams gave Vander Esch a passing grade on medicals. I feel reasonably certain he ends up with Dallas with the 18th pick.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 01:55 PM
@RapSheet
#Giants coach Pat Shurmur told reporters he’s “planning on picking at No. 2.” At this point, it seems like: 1. There isn’t a lot of interest in coming all he way up to 2. 2. The Giants want to make the pick.

A lot of reports saying they've settled on Barkley.

Puck
04-26-2018, 01:58 PM
According to Polian with this change back on D the most important player is the 3 tech and second is the WILL not the MLB in this D

My guess is Ballard wants Smith 1st then the 3 Tech even if he needs to make some moves to make that happen. Unless he thinks Ridgeway is up to the task.

Polian also said that no way will the Colts take Nelson if Chubb is gone and Smith is still on the board. He said this after the Colts selection on the ESPN live mock draft show when Mike Wells made the pick for the Colts and selected Nelson.

Swing4DaFences
04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
This is my final prediction:

1. CLE - QB
2. NYG - Barkley
3. NYJ - QB
4. CLE - Chubb
5. DEN - QB
6. IND - TRADE DOWN to 11th, 12th, or 15th.

11. 12. or 15. IND - Go down this list in order, and whoever is the top available, we take him:
1. Nelson
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick
3. Roquan Smith
4. Mike McGlinchey

Chromeburn
04-26-2018, 02:10 PM
A lot of reports saying they've settled on Barkley.

Gettleman was asking too much I bet. He's not the charmer Ballard is.

Chromeburn
04-26-2018, 02:12 PM
According to Polian with this change back on D the most important player is the 3 tech and second is the WILL not the MLB in this D

My guess is Ballard wants Smith 1st then the 3 Tech even if he needs to make some moves to make that happen. Unless he thinks Ridgeway is up to the task.

Polian also said that no way will the Colts take Nelson if Chubb is gone and Smith is still on the board. He said this after the Colts selection on the ESPN live mock draft show when Mike Wells made the pick for the Colts and selected Nelson.

Reportedly Hurst is dropping some bc of his size and worries about his heart. And that he is off some teams boards totally. I am hoping we can, and will, take him in the second. I think he would be a monster in our defense. He would give us that Sapp / Tommie Harris like presence.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Gettleman was asking too much I bet. He's not the charmer Ballard is.

Gettleman has never traded down in the 1st round. I think it's just his philosophy not to do it.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Reportedly Hurst is dropping some bc of his size and worries about his heart. And that he is off some teams boards totally. I am hoping we can, and will, take him in the second. I think he would be a monster in our defense. He would give us that Sapp / Tommie Harris like presence.

Yep, I've been hoping for this since the combine.

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 02:27 PM
Per Matt Miller:

@nfldraftscout
Afternoon update.

1. Baker
2. Saquon
3. Darnold
4. Chubb

rcubed
04-26-2018, 02:27 PM
This is my final prediction:

1. CLE - QB
2. NYG - Barkley
3. NYJ - QB
4. CLE - Chubb
5. DEN - QB
6. IND - TRADE DOWN to 11th, 12th, or 15th.

11. 12. or 15. IND - Go down this list in order, and whoever is the top available, we take him:
1. Nelson
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick
3. Roquan Smith
4. Mike McGlinchey

1. CLE - Mayfield
2. NYG - Darnold
3. NYJ - Rosen
4. CLE - Barkley
5. DEN - Allen
6. IND - Chubb

VeveJones007
04-26-2018, 02:56 PM
@nfldraftscout
I know everyone is saying otherwise, but I have a really hard time seeing Cleveland pass on Sam Darnold. Guess we'll know in 5.5 hours

@nfldraftscout
Hearing there are #Jets coaches making a late push for Josh Allen. Buckle up, folks.

@nfldraftscout
Adding onto this: Jeremy Bates is a big Josh Allen fan. He has a lot of influence in that draft room.

Crazy stuff. Dorsey is just messing with everyone and the Jets seem like a mess of an organization. Keep that shit in house!

rcubed
04-26-2018, 06:25 PM
I think someone on here was asking about the stampede blue draft guide. Looks like its 50% off if you are still interested in getting it.

Puck
04-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Here we go MFers

Chromeburn
04-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Baker I bet

Coltsalr
04-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Browns taking Denzel Ward makes things interesting.

Coltsalr
04-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Mike Klis
Broncos with No 5 pick expected to take DE Bradley Chubb. #9sports

Coltsalr
04-26-2018, 08:49 PM
Safe pick, that's for sure.

And now Dam will be irate.

Dam8610
04-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Welcome to a Top 10 pick in 2019.

Puck
04-26-2018, 09:06 PM

Youre an idiot

Racehorse
04-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Youre an idiot

I trust Ballard much more than I do Dam

FatDT
04-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Disappointing we couldn't get Chubb. I'm sure Nelson will be a great guard but taking that position so high still doesn't make sense to me.

smitty46953
04-26-2018, 09:13 PM

You are a fool, Nelson was Ballards choice regardless of if Chubb was there ... great pick :cool:

Coltsalr
04-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Do you hate Ballard as much as you hated Grigson now?

rcubed
04-26-2018, 09:44 PM
When cle took ward I thought Chubb was ours

smitty46953
04-26-2018, 10:01 PM
When cle took ward I thought Chubb was ours

As fast as Colts picked, Nelson was Ballards choice all along, even if Chubb was there ... IMHO :cool:

Butter
04-26-2018, 11:12 PM

Christ man come off it. It is ok to like a pick over another without being a total dumbass. I appreciate a lot of your statistical analysis, stop being a douche. It is ok to disagree man.

Dam8610
04-27-2018, 12:00 AM
Christ man come off it. It is ok to like a pick over another without being a total dumbass. I appreciate a lot of your statistical analysis, stop being a douche. It is ok to disagree man.

The Colts have no linebackers and no pass rush. They had two potential generational talents at LB staring them in the face and at least one team looking to trade up for a QB. While I wouldn't have been thrilled with 12, 53, and 56, Edmunds and two more second round picks would've been vastly superior to Nelson. Now, the only potential game changing defensive talent I see on the board is Rasheem Green and Harold Landry, and there isn't a LB worth taking until Day 3. Hopefully someday this franchise will learn that defense wins championships. Clearly they haven't yet.

Luck4Reich
04-27-2018, 12:05 AM
The Colts have no linebackers and no pass rush. They had two potential generational talents at LB staring them in the face and at least one team looking to trade up for a QB. While I wouldn't have been thrilled with 12, 53, and 56, Edmunds and two more second round picks would've been vastly superior to Nelson. Now, the only potential game changing defensive talent I see on the board is Rasheem Green and Harold Landry, and there isn't a LB worth taking until Day 3. Hopefully someday this franchise will learn that defense wins championships. Clearly they haven't yet.

I,agree 100% that defense wins championships... but if our QB is dead then what? I feel confident we still get some solid defenders. If Luck goes down again I say we have zero chances with Briskett even if we had Jacksonville Defense.. and we are more that 1-2great defenders from their D. IMO

Dam8610
04-27-2018, 12:27 AM
I,agree 100% that defense wins championships... but if our QB is dead then what? I feel confident we still get some solid defenders. If Luck goes down again I say we have zero chances with Briskett even if we had Jacksonville Defense.. and we are more that 1-2great defenders from their D. IMO

Where do you think you get a core of impact defenders if your GM won't spend in free agency like Jacksonville? It typically isn't Day 3 of the draft. And if the current OL coach couldn't make do with the OL talent that was on the roster before tonight, get a better OL coach.

rcubed
04-27-2018, 01:31 AM
You take the difference maker D player at 6 and some guards in the second round. Pretty sure that would have a higher net positive.

Dam8610
04-27-2018, 02:13 AM
You take the difference maker D player at 6 and some guards in the second round. Pretty sure that would have a higher net positive.

Or, you know, use that 2nd rounder on a defender as well and find your starting OGs on Day 3 like most good teams do.

njcoltfan
04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

you know Dammy, I'm not thrilled much with this pick too, but we have to get over it. Nelson is now a Colt, and if Luck gets the protection that he needs, he's the one that will win chamionships for the Colts.

Dam8610
04-27-2018, 03:34 PM
you know Dammy, I'm not thrilled much with this pick too, but we have to get over it. Nelson is now a Colt, and if Luck gets the protection that he needs, he's the one that will win chamionships for the Colts.

Not without a defense behind him. You can find starting guards on Day 3 of the draft. Green dot helmet wearers and impact pass rushers are a lot more difficult to find there.

Chromeburn
04-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Perhaps we should look at this as a two part build. Ballard shores up the oline, maybe another position grp, CB/WR. Then addresses the front 7 next year. There is just no way they can fix every position group this year. Not enough picks.

rm1369
04-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Perhaps we should look at this as a two part build. Ballard shores up the oline, maybe another position grp, CB/WR. Then addresses the front 7 next year. There is just no way they can fix every position group this year. Not enough picks.

Irsay said it’s a three year rebuild. Several here have balked when I say that when criticizing Ballard’s use of free agency, but it seems pretty obvious.

Puck
04-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Not without a defense behind him. You can find starting guards on Day 3 of the draft. Green dot helmet wearers and impact pass rushers are a lot more difficult to find there.

Pretty sure we have enough day 3 and day 4 talent over the 6 years