Puck
03-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Probably a depth guy, but Rotoworld says he's good in coverage

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7554/sean-spence

Combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sean-spence?id=2532952

indycolts2
03-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Ballard couldn't possibly sign 5 LB'ers in free agency could he?

smitty46953
03-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Colts sign LB Sean Spencer on a 1 year, 3M deal. :cool:

Puck
03-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Ballard couldn't possibly sign 5 LB'ers in free agency could he?

It is one of the weakest areas of the team. He has cap space and he wants competition. This was a bargain signing if the 3 million is right

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

New Colts GM Chris Ballard identified a weakness. This month he has signed LBs Jabaal Sheard, Barkevious Mingo, John Simon, and Sean Spence.

Puck
03-19-2017, 09:51 AM
If this is the deal this is a good signing

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

LB Sean Spence has agreed to a one-year, $3M deal with the Colts, per source.

indycolts2
03-19-2017, 09:59 AM
It is one of the weakest areas of the team. He has cap space and he wants competition. This was a bargain signing if the 3 million is right

I don't disagree at all, certainy a condemnation of the unit that had been put in place by Grigson.

natagu23
03-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Sean Spence?

Im ready for the draft at this point.

njcoltfan
03-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Sean Spence?

Im ready for the draft at this point.

Amen to that!!

natagu23
03-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Amen to that!!

Ballard obviously wants to build the team through the draft.

We shall see.

Forrest Blue
03-19-2017, 11:39 AM
"A third-round pick by the Steelers in 2012, Spence suffered a catastrophic knee injury in a preseason game in 2012. He tore his left ACL and LCL, dislocated the kneecap and reportedly damaged the nerve that helps control movement in the lower leg."

I'm shocked he ever even made it this far.

Coltsalr
03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
We do indeed suck at pass coverage from our LB's, so bringing in a guy that's a plus at that isn't a bad thing.

The problem is, we also suck at run stopping, so there is that.

I'm sure not all of these guys are going to make the final roster. The encouraging part is that at least he's bringing in guys that have some strengths/upside, as opposed to guys that do nothing really particularly well such as Maggitt/Bates/Jackson/Morrison/Cole, etc that we'd gotten so used to.

Butter
03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
That is not fair, Morrison is really good at pile jumping.

Dam8610
03-19-2017, 01:12 PM
This doesn't preclude Brown, the Colts need 2 starting ILBs, but I like the pickup. At least ILB isn't going completely unaddressed until the draft.

omahacolt
03-19-2017, 02:46 PM
This doesn't preclude Brown, the Colts need 2 starting ILBs, but I like the pickup. At least ILB isn't going completely unaddressed until the draft.

They could still bring him in but I find it highly unlikely. I would be surprised if they bring in anyone else

Dam8610
03-19-2017, 03:31 PM
They could still bring him in but I find it highly unlikely. I would be surprised if they bring in anyone else

I'd rather see one more ILB that could potentially start, just so there are no absolutely glaring needs heading into the draft.

Puck
03-19-2017, 03:32 PM
I'd rather see one more ILB that could potentially start, just so there are no absolutely glaring needs heading into the draft.

No glaring needs? Am I the only one that sees us not having 2nd or 3rd CB? Melvin? Who plays slot? Butler is signed as a Safety.

sherck
03-19-2017, 04:12 PM
My view of the defense right now:

NT = Woods, Parry
DE = Anderson, Jones, McGill, Langford, Ridgeway, Hunt
OLB[Rush] = Sheard, Mingo, Ayers
OLB [Edge] = Simon
ILB = Spence, Jackson, Morrison
Safety = Geathers, Green, Butler
CB = Davis, Melvin, Morris

Every position group needs top end help. CB, ILB, NT, Pass Rush are the biggest needs.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brylok
03-19-2017, 04:13 PM
No glaring needs? Am I the only one that sees us not having 2nd or 3rd CB? Melvin? Who plays slot? Butler is signed as a Safety.
Linebackers were easily our worst position in the team, but as of now I expect Ballard to bring in a free agent CB and probably draft one as well. I'm pretty happy with what he's doing so far. We still need a pass-rusher.

bertjones
03-19-2017, 11:56 PM
My view of the defense right now:

NT = Woods, Parry
DE = Anderson, Jones, McGill, Langford, Ridgeway, Hunt
OLB[Rush] = Sheard, Mingo, Ayers
OLB [Edge] = Simon
ILB = Spence, Jackson, Morrison
Safety = Geathers, Green, Butler
CB = Davis, Melvin, Morris

Every position group needs top end help. CB, ILB, NT, Pass Rush are the biggest needs.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That is one sparse unit.

Puck
03-20-2017, 12:12 AM
That is one sparse unit.

And consider that this is Vontae's last yr. He will be a FA next yr. When that happens are you prepared to pay him 12-15 million per year depending on how he plays this season?

We need 2 cornerbacks in this draft. The best that we can get.

Also remember how we spent our load on Oline last yr and basically ignored the rest of the team? And with all of those Oline picks we are still talking about taking another OT with the first pick this year!

You can't ONLY focus on pass rush or LBers. They have improved that unit already. Time to work on other areas.

Without good to great CB play a pass rush is useless to quick passing (smart) offenses. Pass rush will never get there before the ball is out so you better have some coverage.

VeveJones007
03-20-2017, 12:17 AM
And consider that this is Vontae's last yr. He will be a FA next yr. When that happens are you prepared to pay him 12-15 million per year depending on how he plays this season?

We need 2 cornerbacks in this draft. The best that we can get.

Also remember how we spent our load on Oline last yr and basically ignored the rest of the team? And with all of those Oline picks we are still talking about taking another OT with the first pick this year!

You can't ONLY focus on pass rush or LBers. They have improved that unit already. Time to work on other areas.

Without good to great CB play a pass rush is useless to quick passing (smart) offenses. Pass rush will never get there before the ball is out so you better have some coverage.

If you're going to successfully run a 3-4, you need at least one stud pass rusher. Sheard and Simon are not that. They are likely to be solid rotation pieces, but you still need that blue chip stud. You might be able to get him at 1.15.

I see too many people in this thread suggesting that these LB signings are anything more than filling out the roster. LB is absolutely still a need in this draft.

Puck
03-20-2017, 12:25 AM
If you're going to successfully run a 3-4, you need at least one stud pass rusher. Sheard and Simon are not that. They are likely to be solid rotation pieces, but you still need that blue chip stud. You might be able to get him at 1.15.

I see too many people in this thread suggesting that these LB signings are anything more than filling out the roster. LB is absolutely still a need in this draft.

Simon is a SAM LB. Sheard is a pass rush and for the most part so is Mingo. And Ayres They replaced Walden and Mathis. If an old Walden can generate 12 sacks or what ever it was on this bad defense just think of what a younger, faster, stronger Sheard can do. Simon is going to be very very good. And I think that Spence will be a lot better than what we have. So what I am saying is that unit is improved. Not perfect, but much improved on paper.

I have said it before, We dont need the 85 Bears D to win this division. We need to get to an above average and work our way up. He wasn't going to solve all the issues in one yr. And there are more very important areas other than ONLY Pass rush. We need 2 CB's and a NT a real NT to make this thing work.

If you dont think this LB unit has been upgraded then Ballard needs to be fired for spending 50 million dollars on it

ukcolt
03-20-2017, 04:46 AM
Spending the money we have on Sheard and thinking that he is not meant to be a difference maker is absurd. I personally am not convinced that he is that much of a difference maker, but in the eyes of management that is the marque signing, and their major attempt to upgrade the position.

The glaring need for the Colts is CB, we just don't have any bodies, let alone starting quality players besides Davis. We need to acquire at least 2 if not 3 players who are better than Melvin as he is not a starting quality corner, he should be our 4th or 5th option.

We also need to bring in a NT and an ILB, but this might have to happen over a two year period. Pass rush and corners go hand in hand, better pash rushers mean the corners have less time to have to cover a receiver, whereas a quality corner can provide a pass rusher that extra half a second to disrupt a play. In my eyes the reason why Freeney was such a dominant player for the Colts and why he was light years ahead of Mathis, was that he of course got a large number of sacks, but on almost every single pass play he caused disruption, he forced the QB to make a hurried pass, or to move from his primary target to a check down play or at the very least forced the offensive line to always double team him, creating mismatches for others.

Drafting a couple of corners at the top of this draft could very well make Sheard look a lot better than he might otherwise do, fail to address the corner position and even Freeney might struggle to look anything other than mediocre in his prime, as our corner situation is that dire at the moment.

Wyatt
03-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Not sure if anyone posted these on our new ILB Signing

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-vs-packers-film-room-sean-spence/

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/03/17/miami-dolphins-sean-spence-could-fill-void-defense/

FatDT
03-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Everything I read says Spence is good in coverage. Hopefully he can stay healthy. He has zero competition to start at this point.

Wyatt
03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
FWIW

Spence has 47 career games of experience, with 19 starts.

The other four inside linebackers on the Colts roster have played in 42 career games, combining for 12 total starts.

rcubed
03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
You guys make a good point for a CB. However, if you have a stud pass rusher there at 15 you need to take him and deal with CB later.

However, if you are dead set on not returning davis next year, then maybe you try to draft his replacement if there is a top shelf CB at 15.\

I still say pass rush if its there.

sherck
03-20-2017, 01:48 PM
You guys make a good point for a CB. However, if you have a stud pass rusher there at 15 you need to take him and deal with CB later.

However, if you are dead set on not returning davis next year, then maybe you try to draft his replacement if there is a top shelf CB at 15.\

I still say pass rush if its there.
Good pass rush makes average CBs look much better than they actually are.

Great CBs helps an average pass rush.

It is different sides of the same coin.

That said, I want a stud pass rusher at 1-15 who can learn to play OLB behind Sheard / Simon and come in on sub-packages on passing downs and just pin his ears back for the first half of the season.

ILB and CB in the 2nd and 3rd in whichever order is better value is how I hope the draft goes for us.

Cheers,

VeveJones007
03-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Simon is a SAM LB. Sheard is a pass rush and for the most part so is Mingo. And Ayres They replaced Walden and Mathis. If an old Walden can generate 12 sacks or what ever it was on this bad defense just think of what a younger, faster, stronger Sheard can do. Simon is going to be very very good. And I think that Spence will be a lot better than what we have. So what I am saying is that unit is improved. Not perfect, but much improved on paper.

I have said it before, We dont need the 85 Bears D to win this division. We need to get to an above average and work our way up. He wasn't going to solve all the issues in one yr. And there are more very important areas other than ONLY Pass rush. We need 2 CB's and a NT a real NT to make this thing work.

If you dont think this LB unit has been upgraded then Ballard needs to be fired for spending 50 million dollars on it

Spending the money we have on Sheard and thinking that he is not meant to be a difference maker is absurd. I personally am not convinced that he is that much of a difference maker, but in the eyes of management that is the marque signing, and their major attempt to upgrade the position.

The glaring need for the Colts is CB, we just don't have any bodies, let alone starting quality players besides Davis. We need to acquire at least 2 if not 3 players who are better than Melvin as he is not a starting quality corner, he should be our 4th or 5th option.

We also need to bring in a NT and an ILB, but this might have to happen over a two year period. Pass rush and corners go hand in hand, better pash rushers mean the corners have less time to have to cover a receiver, whereas a quality corner can provide a pass rusher that extra half a second to disrupt a play. In my eyes the reason why Freeney was such a dominant player for the Colts and why he was light years ahead of Mathis, was that he of course got a large number of sacks, but on almost every single pass play he caused disruption, he forced the QB to make a hurried pass, or to move from his primary target to a check down play or at the very least forced the offensive line to always double team him, creating mismatches for others.

Drafting a couple of corners at the top of this draft could very well make Sheard look a lot better than he might otherwise do, fail to address the corner position and even Freeney might struggle to look anything other than mediocre in his prime, as our corner situation is that dire at the moment.

The contract given to Sheard does not imply that they expect him to be a difference maker. They can get out of the deal next year with marginal impact if they want. Total $ does not equal real $ in NFL deals.

Counting on Simon to be anything more than a stable rotation piece is folly. Maybe he'll surprise, but you can't count on him to make a substantial difference.

rcubed
03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
noone we signed is going to make a substantial difference.

ballard said he would be building through the draft. these FA signings were to replace some aging players

he is taking a long view approach, like it or not.

indycolts2
03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
noone we signed is going to make a substantial difference.

ballard said he would be building through the draft. these FA signings were to replace some aging players

he is taking a long view approach, like it or not.
Not a bad approach but I'm sure we are all hoping one or two of the lot actually become difference makers. I know Simon and Sheard received the multi year deals but I'm hoping Spence and Mingo shine next season. Particularly Mingo.......something got him drafted #6, where the hell did it go?

omahacolt
03-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Not a bad approach but I'm sure we are all hoping one or two of the lot actually become difference makers. I know Simon and Sheard received the multi year deals but I'm hoping Spence and Mingo shine next season. Particularly Mingo.......something got him drafted #6, where the hell did it go?

It was browns

VeveJones007
03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
It was browns

And the worst draft class in modern NFL history.

Butter
03-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Good pass rush makes average CBs look much better than they actually are.

Great CBs helps an average pass rush.

It is different sides of the same coin.

I would rather build from the front back. Build a solid foundation on the lines ( really front 7 of the D in a 3-4) and grow from there. Of course a franchise QB trumps all, but we have that.

rcubed
03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Yep, I wanted one big signing but didnt get it.

Wyatt
05-05-2017, 10:13 AM
@PFF
Sean Spence should bring some stability to the Colts' linebacker corps. He ranked third at his position in tackling efficiency in 2016.