PDA

View Full Version : over 50 million to spend

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 04:54 PM
and this limp dick gm has arguably made this team worse.

discuss

HoosierinFL
03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
you're retarded.

this was a shitty roster. merely dumping the guys we did automatically made it better.

I can't believe anyone wants to revise history and think that any more than 5-6 guys on the entire roster could start on another team.

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 05:33 PM
you're retarded.

this was a shitty roster. merely dumping the guys we did automatically made it better.

I can't believe anyone wants to revise history and think that any more than 5-6 guys on the entire roster could start on another team.

we haven't gotten better yet

rcubed
03-16-2017, 05:37 PM
meh, I dont know about worse. I would say marginally better so far.

Dumped some old and/or underperforming players - good

Resigend doyle and turbin - good moves.

Traded allen. Though he was not necessarily a problem, it is good to get of his salary while picking up a draft pick during a loaded year.

Got a punter. Not his fault mcafee retired.

Improvement on LBs he signed. Not yet where we want the group to be but an improvement.

We needed to get younger, which he has done so far.
We need to draft better than we have been, which is yet to be seen.
I would (would have) really like to see him pick up one 'splash' FA this year.

njcoltfan
03-16-2017, 05:40 PM

discuss

I don't think we are any worse, how much better, if at all, remains to be seen.

Maniac
03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
We are marginally better now.

We should have known that Ballard isn't going to go crazy in free agency though. He said when he was hired on that he believes in building the team through the draft.

I'm fine with him not overpaying at the beginning of free agency. Wait for those deals to get out of the way and then sign a few guys for decent money and build the rest through the draft. This is a multi-year project. This defense isn't getting built in one year.

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 06:02 PM
We are marginally better now.

We should have known that Ballard isn't going to go crazy in free agency though. He said when he was hired on that he believes in building the team through the draft.

I'm fine with him not overpaying at the beginning of free agency. Wait for those deals to get out of the way and then sign a few guys for decent money and build the rest through the draft. This is a multi-year project. This defense isn't getting built in one year.

paid sheard more than poe

Puck
03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Atlanta is a pretty good team. I dont think he was passing them up. Their D is close to being very good. Ours is years away

Better weather. Bigger town.

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Atlanta is a pretty good team. I dont think he was passing them up. Their D is close to being very good. Ours is years away

Better weather. Bigger town.

what does that have to do with anything

GoBigBlue88
03-16-2017, 06:25 PM
It. Is. March. And. The. GM. Has. Been. Employed. For. One. Month.

Maniac
03-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Pass rushers are generally a higher salary position. That's like complaining because we paid a OT more than someone else paid for a OG or center.

Puck
03-16-2017, 06:45 PM
what does that have to do with anything

Has a lot to do with it. He has a chance to look really really good on a one yr deal with that D. He has a lot less chance to look great here

Puck
03-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Pass rushers are generally a higher salary position. That's like complaining because we paid a OT more than someone else paid for a OG or center.

That is why I prefer we draft CB's and pass rush... costs a lot less

VeveJones007
03-16-2017, 07:20 PM

If Poe wanted to sign here, Ballard would have paid him.

jasperhobbs
03-16-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm glad they didn't sign Poe. I believe injuries have taken there toll and he is not the player he once was.

I would rather Ballard avoid signing high dollar free agents and build through the draft. Too many high priced free agents have failed to live up to expectations and saddle a team with cap woes.

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Sheard isn't exactly a pass rusher

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 08:16 PM

Is he going to start bringing in good players in a few months ? Other teams are going ahead and improving their rosters now.

Puck
03-16-2017, 08:25 PM
On Colts discussion with Poe

Josina Anderson‏ @JosinaAnderson

There were talks including something in neighborhood of 5-yr deal worth up to $60M. Not only option. 1-year was discussed too, per source.

Coltsalr
03-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Is he going to start bringing in good players in a few months ? Other teams are going ahead and improving their rosters now.

If only there were an event that took place every April where teams have 7 rounds to pick players. Man, I bet good GM's would even use such a source as their primary means of acquiring talent...

Puck
03-16-2017, 08:39 PM
If only there were an event that took place every April where teams have 7 rounds to pick players. Man, I bet good GM's would even use such a source as their primary means of acquiring talent...

Can't fill all the holes in the draft.

natagu23
03-16-2017, 08:39 PM
On Colts discussion with Poe

Josina Anderson‏ @JosinaAnderson

There were talks including something in neighborhood of 5-yr deal worth up to $60M. Not only option. 1-year was discussed too, per source.

The guy just didn't want to sign here. Didn't he get 1 year and 8 million with the Falcons? I would imagine the deal includes incentives but still.....

F**k that guy.

Cant fault Ballard here.

Puck
03-16-2017, 08:44 PM
The guy just didn't want to sign here. Didn't he get 1 year and 8 million with the Falcons? I would imagine the deal includes incentives but still.....

F**k that guy.

Cant fault Ballard here.

He didn't like the thought of camp fires, chopping wood and singing Kumbaya with the clapper

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 08:51 PM

At best there will be 3 or 4 good players. And that doesn't excuse going into free agency's with cash in hand and making the team worse

Coltsalr
03-16-2017, 08:58 PM
At best there will be 3 or 4 good players. And that doesn't excuse going into free agency's with cash in hand and making the team worse

He hasn't made the team worse.

omahacolt
03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
He hasn't made the team worse.

We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

rcubed
03-16-2017, 09:48 PM
punter isnt his fault

Butter
03-16-2017, 09:53 PM
punter isnt his fault

He did manage to sign a pretty marginal one at best.

sherck
03-16-2017, 10:44 PM
The door is ===========> that way.

Don't let it hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VeveJones007
03-16-2017, 10:45 PM
We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

Problem is that you're comparing the current 2017 roster vs the 2016 roster. Ballard is clearly focusing more on the 2018-2020 rosters and just getting short-term fillers in UFA.

Let's wait until the offseason is done before passing judgment.

FatDT
03-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Holy shit omaha stop being such a fucking baby. You are better than this.

rcubed
03-16-2017, 11:41 PM
He did manage to sign a pretty marginal one at best.

So who was the top shelf punter he should have signed?

natagu23
03-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Problem is that you're comparing the current 2017 roster vs the 2016 roster. Ballard is clearly focusing more on the 2018-2020 rosters and just getting short-term fillers in UFA.

Let's wait until the offseason is done before passing judgment.

I get it. Ballard probably set out long term goals, and objectives to reach those goals, but the AFC South is winnable even with the sh*t show that is our defense.

So, we're going to wait until Luck is 30 until we're contenders?

That's assuming Ballard drafts well.

natagu23
03-17-2017, 12:03 AM
We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

We're not better, nor are we worse. We're still a sh*t show on defense for the most part.

Ideally, Sheard should be a rotational guy or a guy you bring in on your Nascar package. Not a starter. This is not a perfect world so whatever.

I hated the Walden signing, but he was decent at doing his one job. Maybe John Simon is a little better at it I suppose. Lets hope.

Lets be honest, all these recent guys Ballard just signed are camp bodies because they're not going to be out anybody.

Its hard to see how this team is better with the recent retirements, possible Butler loss, and Allen trade compared to the talent we signed.

Its a wash imo with a slight lean towards worse.

natagu23
03-17-2017, 12:12 AM
So who was the top shelf punter he should have signed?

The guy who's rated 99 on Madden.

Who cares. As long as the guy doesn't out punt his coverage and can spot and hold without f**king us. Who cares.

Kickers....

VeveJones007
03-17-2017, 12:21 AM
I get it. Ballard probably set out long term goals, and objectives to reach those goals, but the AFC South is winnable even with the sh*t show that is our defense.

So, we're going to wait until Luck is 30 until we're contenders?

That's assuming Ballard drafts well.

I totally get what you're saying (and I agree that this much of a patient approach was unnecessary), but Ballard has a long-term plan. We just have to wait and see if he succeeds.

Dam8610
03-17-2017, 01:09 AM

He. Hates. The. New. GM. Because. It's. Not. His. Mancrush. Grigson.

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 05:45 AM

He just misses his one true love Grigson.

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 05:51 AM
The door is ===========> that way.

Don't let it hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Cheers,

Being critical of a gm is off limits now?

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 05:54 AM

Again

Discussing free agent moves is a logical thing to do. There are still things that can be done but right now this team is worse. And it doesnt need to be

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 06:07 AM
We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

They aren't any worse at CB, OL, or ILB. Additionally, there's still time. Cutting Patrick Robinson and DQ Jackson is addition by subtraction anyway.

TE, fine, but at least they're spending less and I doubt there will be any huge drop off.

Safety depends on whether they bring back Butler.

They're absolutely certainly better at OLB. And yes, probably at DL, too.

sherck
03-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Being critical of a gm is off limits now?
Nope.

Just pointing out the fact that we are one week into the NFL year and that you crying like a baby without his binky is a bit of an overreaction.

Post #1 from the "50 million to spend" thread posted on 03-16-2017 at 4:54pm
having posted this just over a week earlier
i am very curious to see what he does here

he can't do worse than grigson when it comes to free agents can he? that would be difficult

Post #155 in Free Agents thread posted on 03-09-2017 at 12:27pm
Just calling you on overreacting. Don't like it?

The door ===============> is that way.

Cheers,

Wyatt
03-17-2017, 07:24 AM
here's a good article on why omaha's argument is bullshit

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/10/doyel-ballard-riding-colts-roster-grigson-mistakes/99015012/

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 07:33 AM
They aren't any worse at CB, OL, or ILB. Additionally, there's still time. Cutting Patrick Robinson and DQ Jackson is addition by subtraction anyway.

TE, fine, but at least they're spending less and I doubt there will be any huge drop off.

Safety depends on whether they bring back Butler.

They're absolutely certainly better at OLB. And yes, probably at DL, too.

We aren't any worse at cb? No butler. No Robinson. Fine we replaced them with nobody. So that is worse.

No reitz or Harrison and added a backup center/guard

Dq was better than any ilber we have. I don't care how slow and old he is

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Nope.

Just pointing out the fact that we are one week into the NFL year and that you crying like a baby without his binky is a bit of an overreaction.

having posted this just over a week earlier

Just calling you on overreacting. Don't like it?

The door ===============> is that way.

Cheers,

There is no door that way. Moron

I don't like how free agency has gone so far. That is a fair take.

What the fuck are we here to do? Discuss the team. If we need to wait 3 years to have an opinion then puck should just shut this place down.

If you don't like my post, don't fucking read it.

Maniac
03-17-2017, 08:58 AM

What the fuck are we here to do? Discuss the team. If we need to wait 3 years to have an opinion then puck should just shut this place down.

If you don't like my post, don't fucking read it.

Is free agency over? If not, maybe calm down and wait to see what else they do before throwing a fit.

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 09:07 AM
We aren't any worse at cb? No butler. No Robinson. Fine we replaced them with nobody. So that is worse.

No reitz or Harrison and added a backup center/guard

Dq was better than any ilber we have. I don't care how slow and old he is

Butler is now back, so that's why everyone is telling you to stop throwing this tantrum.

DQ may be, though I tend to believe that Ballard should be able to find someone later in free agency or the draft that's better. Grigson wouldn't be able to, but Ballard might be, we don't know yet.

Reitz/Harrison weren't good last year, replacing them with more JAGs is just a push.

No worse.

Puck
03-17-2017, 09:30 AM
How did we get better on the D line ? Did I miss a signing?

sherck
03-17-2017, 09:52 AM
How did we get better on the D line ? Did I miss a signing?
No one but me appeared to like Parry as our NT.

Signing Woods, who is much more of a prototypical 3-4 NT wide body, should be seen as an upgrade by most. At worst, he is probably a better replacement for Kerr who was not effective last year at NT.

And is Hunt any worst than McGill whom he will be competing with to make the team as the, current, DE #5 behind Anderson, Jones, Langford and Ridgeway?

Not big upgrades. But upgrades on depth so that we can get more rotation is always a win.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

sherck
03-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Honestly, what would you have wanted to have been done differently?

Paid Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Stephon Gilmore, Brandon Williams or Logan Ryan between $15m and $10m a year average to come play on a defense that has so many other holes in it?

Signed more of the $8m - $10m a year guys like Dont'a Hightower, Tony Jefferson or Dontari Poe to short or long term contracts making it so that we cannot "stabilize" more positions with lower priced talent?

We (supposedly) offered to Poe. He refused. What else did you want there?

What was your plan?

=========

Also, just another honest question. Do you call people moron in real life? Do you curse a lot in your normal talks with friends, family and co-workers?

Jus wondering. I have never felt the need to use language like that and rarely spend time around folks who do (this chat board for the most part). Even most of the active duty guys I work around now don't swear much.

I have always found the mindset that needs to drop F-bombs interesting.

Cheers,

njcoltfan
03-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Paid Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Stephon Gilmore, Brandon Williams or Logan Ryan between $15m and $10m a year average to come play on a defense that has so many other holes in it?

Signed more of the $8m - $10m a year guys like Dont'a Hightower, Tony Jefferson or Dontari Poe to short or long term contracts making it so that we cannot "stabilize" more positions with lower priced talent?

What was your plan?

=========

Also, just another honest question. Do you call people moron in real life? Do you curse a lot in your normal talks with friends, family and co-workers?

Jus wondering. I have never felt the need to use language like that and rarely spend time around folks who do (this chat board for the most part). Even most of the active duty guys I work around now don't swear much.

Cheers,
To be fair Sherck, at the start of free agency, didn't you want to sign one if not two of those guys you just mentioned ?? I know I did !!

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Butler is now back, so that's why everyone is telling you to stop throwing this tantrum.

DQ may be, though I tend to believe that Ballard should be able to find someone later in free agency or the draft that's better. Grigson wouldn't be able to, but Ballard might be, we don't know yet.

Reitz/Harrison weren't good last year, replacing them with more JAGs is just a push.

No worse.

Starting a discussion is not throwing a tantrum. Of course there are things that can be done to still make this team better, but I don't think it is so terrible to not be crazy about where we are sitting a week into free agency.

I understand ther is still time. Just irritated we couldn't come away with 1 difference maker on d or oline.

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 10:40 AM

What was your plan?

=========

Cheers,

I wanted one major signing. Pick one of the cb's, zeitler or the top 2 nt's and then fill the roster. To me that would have been huge.

And yes. If a friend or coworker is being a moron, then I call them a moron. Yes I do cuss in real life. I typically don't hang around people who wet their panties if they hear words they don't like. I try not to spend time around judgmental assholes. But of course I will watch my language when I need to.

Do you walk around saying douchey things like "if you don't like it the door is that way" in real life? And if you do how often do you get punched in the face?

sherck
03-17-2017, 10:55 AM
To be fair Shreck, at the start of free agency, didn't you want to sign one if not two of those guys you just mentioned ?? I know I did !!
Of course I did.

Until I saw the price tag for some of them.

Campbell for $15m a year? Madness.

A.J. Bouye at $13.5m a year? Gilmore at $13m a year?

Brandon Williams at $10.5m a year? Poe?

We tried to get Poe. It did not work out.

================
A story.....

A lowly NFL football franchise hired a new Head Coach in 2000, lost their long time pro-bowl QB in 2001 but then saw unprecedented success from 2001 - 2004 going 48-16 over those 4 years but then not having the same level of success.

They built for the long run building their roster through the draft, not overpaying for veteran free agents (including their own) and having a sustained football personnel model that has now delivered to them 14 straight seasons of double digit wins.

A different NFL football franchise hired a new Head Coach in 2012, lost their long time pro-bowl QB in the same year but then saw unprecedented success from 2012 - 2015 going 33-15 over those 3 years but then not having the same level of success.

They fired their GM and HC......errrrrr, they fired their GM and hired a new one who appears to want to build for the long run building their roster through the draft, not overpaying for veteran free agents (including their own) and having a, hopefully, sustained football personnel model that will deliver for them ???

I am not saying that Ballard is Bellicheat but I am saying that their are examples of teams out there that do not (typically) splurge in free agency, draft well and build sustainable personnel models that keep them at the top of the league year after year after year.

Cheers,

sherck
03-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Do you walk around saying douchey things like "if you don't like it the door is that way" in real life? And if you do how often do you get punched in the face?

Actually, I am a pretty blunt person and call friends, family and co-workers out on their behavior on a fairly regular basis. I have numerous times cut off conservations with family members who are not being realistic and tell them that "the door is over there" but is always open when they want to talk about things like adults.

I have never been punched in the face over it because I typically do it with grace and without cursing at them.

You seem to bring out the bad behavior in me.

Cheers,

indycolts2
03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
I wanted one major signing. Pick one of the cb's, zeitler or the top 2 nt's and then fill the roster. To me that would have been huge.

And yes. If a friend or coworker is being a moron, then I call them a moron. Yes I do cuss in real life. I typically don't hang around people who wet their panties if they hear words they don't like. I try not to spend time around judgmental assholes. But of course I will watch my language when I need to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/27/swear-words-intelligence_n_12213206.html

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Of course I did.

================
A story.....

A lowly NFL football franchise hired a new Head Coach in 2000, lost their long time pro-bowl QB in 2001 but then saw unprecedented success from 2001 - 2004 going 48-16 over those 4 years but then not having the same level of success.

They built for the long run building their roster through the draft, not overpaying for veteran free agents (including their own) and having a sustained football personnel model that has now delivered to them 14 straight seasons of double digit wins.

A different NFL football franchise hired a new Head Coach in 2012, lost their long time pro-bowl QB in the same year but then saw unprecedented success from 2012 - 2015 going 33-15 over those 3 years but then not having the same level of success.

They fired their GM and HC......errrrrr, they fired their GM and hired a new one who appears to want to build for the long run building their roster through the draft, not overpaying for veteran free agents (including their own) and having a, hopefully, sustained football personnel model that will deliver for them ???

I am not saying that Ballard is Bellicheat but I am saying that their are examples of teams out there that do not (typically) splurge in free agency, draft well and build sustainable personnel models that keep them at the top of the league year after year after year.

Cheers,

A story

Belicheat just spent 13 million on a corner and upgraded his team. We could have done the same.

smitty46953
03-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Actually, I am a pretty blunt person and call friends, family and co-workers out on their behavior on a fairly regular basis. I have numerous times cut off conservations with family members who are not being realistic and tell them that "the door is over there" but is always open when they want to talk about things like adults.

I have never been punched in the face over it because I typically do it with grace and without cursing at them.

Cheers,

Omaha doesn't have a door, he has stairs that go up out of his moms basement... :cool:

sherck
03-17-2017, 11:30 AM
A story

Belicheat just spent 13 million on a corner and upgraded his team. We could have done the same.
Aye, he did....and it goes completely against everything that he had done over the past 15 years as the Cheats coach.

He has a QB that is only a year or two away from probably being done.

6 of his 8 highest paid guys came from the 2016 or 2017 free agency class (or trades in Allen's case).

He is pushing his chip "all in" for a furious finish prior to him losing the franchise (Tommy Cheater).

That is not how he built his sustained long-term model.

==============

Are any of the remaining ILBs (Brown, Hodges, Minter) "big" enough signings for you? All are mutli-year starters and some of the better ILBs in the league not named Hightower.

Cheers,

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Cheers,

Yeah. You sound like a complete douchebag. Normal people can handle people that have different opinions.

"Stop speaking and go away. King sherck disagrees. Come back when you agree"

sherck
03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Yeah. You sound like a complete douchebag. Normal people can handle people that have different opinions.

"Stop speaking and go away. King sherck disagrees. Come back when you agree"
Congrats.

You win.

Cheers,

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
A story

And you call me a Pats fan.

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Starting a discussion is not throwing a tantrum. Of course there are things that can be done to still make this team better, but I don't think it is so terrible to not be crazy about where we are sitting a week into free agency.

I understand ther is still time. Just irritated we couldn't come away with 1 difference maker on d or oline.

Hey, I agree. I posted several marquee guys that I wanted and I find it particularly infuriating that we couldn't beat the offers on Hightower or any of the top flight guards.

I just also don't happen to believe that we've gotten WORSE.

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Congrats.

You win.

Cheers,

YES. I AM THE CHAMPION.

I feel like rocky. Rocky in rocky 4. That makes you the commie Ivan drago. I was going to say rocky 5 but I try not to acknowledge that movie happened. And that is too mean to call you tommy Morrison

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 12:10 PM
And stop editing my posts shrek

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Hey, I agree. I posted several marquee guys that I wanted and I find it particularly infuriating that we couldn't beat the offers on Hightower or any of the top flight guards.

I just also don't happen to believe that we've gotten WORSE.

On paper

It looks to me like we are worse. We will see in time and I doubt Ballard is done

rcubed
03-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Of course I did.

================
A story.....

Cheers,
we had enough space for a big signing. I am glad ballard didnt go nuts, but I wish he would have gotten one 'big' signing to go along with the depth/foundation he is building.

Puck
03-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Well Ballard did say he wasn't going to crazy in FA. He actually did a lot more than I expected.

Coltsalr
03-17-2017, 12:36 PM
On paper

It looks to me like we are worse. We will see in time and I doubt Ballard is done

Speaking of...

@Huddle_Radio
Let's pretend Grigson was here...
Walden 4yr 46M
Adams 3yr 19M
Goodbye Doyle
Allen still here
Signs 2 random CFL busts
Takes a WR at 15

Would you prefer that?

Puck
03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
On paper

I would guess they have talked to Hankins and he is asking too much. That is why they arent meeting. Once Hankins sees hes over priced himself I think we get a visit.

Have you seen some of Zach Browns tweets? This guy is a diva

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Speaking of...

@Huddle_Radio
Let's pretend Grigson was here...
Walden 4yr 46M
Adams 3yr 19M
Goodbye Doyle
Allen still here
Signs 2 random CFL busts
Takes a WR at 15

Would you prefer that?

No I would not.

I am glad to have Ballard running the show. I hope his reputation is good for a reason.

But I highly doubt that is how grigsons off-season would go and I think that is a pointless discussion to get into.

Spike
03-17-2017, 12:46 PM
YES. I AM THE CHAMPION.

I feel like rocky. Rocky in rocky 4. That makes you the commie Ivan drago. I was going to say rocky 5 but I try not to acknowledge that movie happened. And that is too mean to call you tommy Morrison

Sly sold his soul making Rocky 5. What a fucking disaster that movie was. He redeemed himself somewhat with the Expendables.

GoBigBlue88
03-17-2017, 01:05 PM
I guess I'm just more willing to accept that this is a multi-year rebuild than most. Yeah, it sucks that Luck is entering his prime during that. But I'd rather have Luck than not have him.

I see a roster that had the worst LBs in the NFL last year, which almost surely improved at both OLB positions. I'm hoping the draft or remaining FA addresses at least 1 ILB spot.

If that happens, I can accept that impact NT, DB help may have to wait for another year.

rcubed
03-17-2017, 01:24 PM
I guess I'm just more willing to accept that this is a multi-year rebuild than most. Yeah, it sucks that Luck is entering his prime during that. But I'd rather have Luck than not have him.

I see a roster that had the worst LBs in the NFL last year, which almost surely improved at both OLB positions. I'm hoping the draft or remaining FA addresses at least 1 ILB spot.

If that happens, I can accept that impact NT, DB help may have to wait for another year.
everyone know and accepts its a multi year rebuild.

Some think the first phase the that rebuild could have been handled better. Some think it was just fine. That's why we have this board, to discuss these things.

Everyone keeps bringing up luck. The problem is we are behind by several years because of the last GMs failings. Lets hope this one can do better. QBs can play longer than most players, so barring injury we should have a top shelf QB for a long time still.

VeveJones007
03-17-2017, 01:27 PM

2017 is clearly a transition year. You don't change offenses when the QB is out the entire offseason. The defense is more than one offseason away from turning around.

I'm not giving up on CB, though. Based on Ballard's track record, he could find some quality CBs in rounds 2-4.

GoBigBlue88
03-17-2017, 02:34 PM
2017 is clearly a transition year. You don't change offenses when the QB is out the entire offseason. The defense is more than one offseason away from turning around.

I'm not giving up on CB, though. Based on Ballard's track record, he could find some quality CBs in rounds 2-4.

Oh for sure. And let's be honest ... Ballard could draft simply solid, not spectacular or even long-term good CBs, and everyone would think they were HOFers next to the crap Grigano has put out there last few years opposite Davis...

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Oh for sure. And let's be honest ... Ballard could draft simply solid, not spectacular or even long-term good CBs, and everyone would think they were HOFers next to the crap Grigano has put out there last few years opposite Davis...

That is unfair to butler and Melvin imo. Thought Melvin held up ok last year

HoosierinFL
03-17-2017, 04:00 PM
you guys don't remember that signing high priced free agents brought only a mercenary mentality to this team? and then the lesser paid guys resent it.

Ballard said you can't buy a locker room and he meant it, and he's right. I thought you guys weren'tstupid colts.com type fans.

smitty46953
03-17-2017, 04:09 PM
I thought you guys weren't stupid colts.com type fans.

We have a few for entertainment purposes only ... :cool: Do something Grigs !!!

omahacolt
03-17-2017, 04:45 PM
you guys don't remember that signing high priced free agents brought only a mercenary mentality to this team? and then the lesser paid guys resent it.

Ballard said you can't buy a locker room and he meant it, and he's right. I thought you guys weren'tstupid colts.com type fans.

that isn't always the case

you can sign high dollar guys that come in and fit the team. just like bringing in guys like butler that become part of the family of colts.

nobody is saying bringing in all the free agents. i would just have liked to have seen at least 1 difference maker with the money we had.

njcoltfan
03-17-2017, 04:59 PM

To me there's a difference between signing high priced FAs that are in the twilight of their careers like Grigson for the most part did, and signing high priced FAs that are young with a lot of upside.

cq.noble
03-20-2017, 05:13 PM
that isn't always the case

you can sign high dollar guys that come in and fit the team. just like bringing in guys like butler that become part of the family of colts.

nobody is saying bringing in all the free agents. i would just have liked to have seen at least 1 difference maker with the money we had.

To be fair the example you gave in Butler is exactly the type of guy Ballard has brought in.

And can we go ahead and temper our expectations for Sheard now? I know what he was signed to do but there's a reason he wasn't given a $60+ million contract, we shouldn't expect him to get us 10+ sacks a year.

omahacolt
03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
To be fair the example you gave in Butler is exactly the type of guy Ballard has brought in.

And can we go ahead and temper our expectations for Sheard now? I know what he was signed to do but there's a reason he wasn't given a $60+ million contract, we shouldn't expect him to get us 10+ sacks a year.

You missed what I was saying. Butler was a free agent that fit this team like a glove. There is no reason a guy making big money can't as well

Maniac
03-21-2017, 06:24 AM
You missed what I was saying. Butler was a free agent that fit this team like a glove. There is no reason a guy making big money can't as well

There is at least one report that they tried to sign Poe. If that report is true, they did try to sign at least one "big money" guy. You can't force a guy to sign here though.

omahacolt
03-21-2017, 12:19 PM
There is at least one report that they tried to sign Poe. If that report is true, they did try to sign at least one "big money" guy. You can't force a guy to sign here though.

I agree

He wasn't the only option

Maniac
04-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Looks like the limp dick GM did something. This is why it's ridiculous to freak out so early in free agency.

omahacolt
04-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Looks like the limp dick GM did something. This is why it's ridiculous to freak out so early in free agency.

nobody freaked out

so shut the fuck up jesus.

indycolts2
04-13-2017, 09:31 PM
nobody freaked out

Just to remind you

"and this limp dick gm has arguably made this team worse"

You freaked out!

omahacolt
04-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Just to remind you

You freaked out!

That isn't freaking out. That is stating the obvious. You little bitches think every time someone doesn't agree he is freaking out. Stfu and learn to think for yourself

sherck
04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
That isn't freaking out. That is stating the obvious. You little bitches think every time someone doesn't agree he is freaking out. Stfu and learn to think for yourself
I have to tell you, you have become the worst part of this board.

What happened to you?

Cheers,

Butter
04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Just to remind you

You freaked out!

Feel free to call him out, but that was far from freaking out.

FatDT
04-13-2017, 11:57 PM
Nah he freaked out a little.

Indiana V2
04-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Okay, now I'm starting to freak out...I mean this is called Colt Freaks!

indycolts2
04-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Feel free to call him out, but that was far from freaking out.

True but even before getting Hankins the team had gotten younger and faster with the front 7 on defense improved over last year without even getting to the draft. Add to that a quality depth piece for the o-line, probably the #2 or #3 receiver as well as already making the injury report much less reading material by getting rid of Allen.

I won't attest as to the status of the new GM's dick.....Omaha already has inspected that apparently but in no way is the team worse than last year.

Maniac
04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
nobody freaked out

Blasphemer!

You most certainly freaked out, overreacted, however the wording, it's still the same. You overreacted very early on in free agency, so now you get to eat some crow for calling the gm a limp dick gm because he didn't make the moves you wanted on your timeline.

omahacolt
04-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Blasphemer!

You most certainly freaked out, overreacted, however the wording, it's still the same. You overreacted very early on in free agency, so now you get to eat some crow for calling the gm a limp dick gm because he didn't make the moves you wanted on your timeline.

No. I absolutely do not.

This still isn't a move I wanted but I will take it. I believe he will be a good player.

Maniac
04-14-2017, 10:44 AM
This still isn't a move I wanted

Well too bad. You aren't getting Dwayne Allen back.